Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Promissory is fine

^ Top  
  2. zerozero Literate

zerozero

Lysaa is not in a magical disguise and is a wanted criminal, there are some ppl from both sides who will recognize her from the war and we are taking a risk with her.

Lysaa is a bit secretive and we are not 100% sure of her motives but has shown trustworthiness.
    We don't know if the Watcher or Mazzarin has ultimate control over her, mazzarin use to control her mind for years, the watcher may bound her soul them we don't know but are willing to take the chance.
    I suspect Mazzarin influence tied to the necklaces. Mazzarin is out for himself and what he sees as the greater good.
    Nephila being a demon, if need be can be bound to oaths, contracts and verbal agreements. She has shown to operate in good faith by giving us information and sealing the tunnels, everything that we asked for.
    Strangely the 'evil' baddies have been straightforward with us, the Fetch in the first arc did give us everything for the gate to go home, the reds & blues became our allies before dying. both the fallen lords have been fair, Morpheus the dream demon has been fair, Nanshe the ghoul has been fair

Nephila even being the daughter of the Spider Goddess doesn't owe allegiance to her. She knows how her mother operates, her mother will eat anyone for power and she respects her but is afraid so she would be cautious.
    She was rand's prisoner just like the previous owner's of Blackfort, if Rand has ultimate power and control he would not need the prison, she would be far more useful to him if he freed her when he had the chance when he ransacked the place.
    With Nephila connections to the major players, this could be useful to us as she would know more secrets and make connections that we can't.
    We can keep Nephila in the background, she doesn't have to be joined to the hip with us.

The Dietfried brother will charge us 100 wps instead of 500 wps due the humanoid shape of Nephila. So their must be demons that are much harder to disguise that are happily walking around Mrygard.
    We don't have to advertise that Nephila is the new spokeswoman of our party, she doesn't have to be with us for all our meetings, she doesn't even have to speak. She could have a cover story as a maid and be unobtrusive and be in the background. If we teach her illusion spells all the better.

The state of the 2nd city and the army is the King's responsibility and the king is not going to blame you. He cares more about the immediate danger to himself.

The king is out for himself just like all the powerful people in power throughout history.

Our Reward is based on what bargains we strike with the king and what he perceives that he owes us.
    Our income is based on the rule of law and our association with the king.
    If the king gets disposed, they are unlikely to be friendly to us as we are perceived as the king's allies.
    It is likely he will be tared with the brush of treason to legitimize the rule of whoever takes over, evidence will be made up and we will be tared by the same brush. All our assets will be stripped from us and we will be lucky just to be banished.

I thought the reason for Blackfort battle was because we can and you like doing it.

To counter this what sort of gain will you expect by joining the battle south if the king dies.

Ultimately the TWM is a servant of the Watcher, he will tow the line and do what he is told to serve the Watcher regardless of what he thinks.
    Remember that Mazzarin sent us a letter in in gold with the big letter M on in telling us to go south, this was attached to one of Lysaa's eagles that was late coming back to us.

Who would you like to fight a resurrected watcher/ fallen lord in a body that has wolverine healing abilities or the TWM that we beat 3 times, can contain if we put him in the dreaming or destroy enough temples he is not coming back.

We will never know if we don't try, I suspect that she is either in the city or close by in a spider goddess temple given the heighten security.
    I have no idea on necromancer births but I don't think anyone else does except for Fangshi and he is not telling :).

Do you not think that it is suspicious that there is a necromancer army with no guarantee of winning showing up around the same time as the breakout and Alric is on the other side of the continent in Madrigal.

She will be easier to capture when she is not surrounded by the whole necromancer army.
    We could stop her birth of the evil super baby.
    She would make a fine prize for Morpheus, probably worth more than the TWM.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I am wondering if this baby is some gambit to bring the Watcher back? Maybe the baby can absorb the essence of the watcher from the stones or something.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There are. Fortunately, necromancers are unlikely to qualify as witnesses, and her interaction with the good guys was quite limited because she was working in the rear.

She is not reliant on a spell to protect her.

Let's see. The fetch didn't confess her plan before we forced her to and intended to omit a crucial piece of information if we didn't. The reds didn't ally with us until they were on a brink of destruction and intended to make us their slaves right before that. Nine is not a Fallen Lord, and I would not trust the Faceless farther than I can throw him - he is as far from straightforward and fair as it is possible without actually being hostile to us. Morpheus is a demon - all he has is his word, but he is in no way our friend and if not for our agreement he would probably scheme to lure us into the Dreaming.

The 'baddies' are contistently shown to be manipulative bitches who would screw us over in a heartbeat if only we let them to.

Right, but the previous owner of the Fort died, while we know that Rand is up and about. We have no idea what kind of control, if any, he has over her. That was one of the factors that made us release her - we didn't want a potentially hostile demon in the fort.

The difference with Lyssa is that we don't know if any of her 'contacts' from before survived and are around to mess with us, while with Nephila we are fairly sure of it.

I also do not understand the logic that because we have took a risk once, we should take all of them.

Now, see, because you say it is so doesn't make it so. :)

He is not seeking to blame us in ether case. His rule and his country are falling apart and we are the only ones who try to prevent it.

He does not have a preference for any of the choices, I think he is pretty clear on that.

That's easy. I do not expect him to die. The dude survived two wars and led his people in and out of exile. He can manage a little civil unrest.

We have no idea. He has shown a healthy disregard for the opinion of his own master. If the Watcher's hold continues to weaken, he may just go rogue.

Me, I prefer him in the Watcher's employ. The archmage is not very bright in terms of strategy, and is squandering the potential TWM has. However, by your logic, the Watcher does not want us in the city or near Stoneheim, instead he wants us to go settle our petty private strife.

Mazzarin didn't send us any letters and didn't try to contact us since we parted ways. :| It was pretty obvious that the letter we received was, in fact, from TWM.

No, I wouldn't, but the mother would have to give birth for that to happen, and the baby needs to grow up. If the signs of pregnancy followed the normal schedule so far, I have no reason to believe something will change. I still do not see the situation as our primary concern for now.

No. Who has that 'guarantee of winning' that you speak of?

The woman is obviously important, but if someone sets our house on fire as a distraction, I am still going to put out the flames before continuing with the investigation. That we realize that some pressing matters were meant to keep us busy does not mean we should not pay attention to them.

I intend to chase after her after we have some measure of stability in the south.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. zerozero Literate

zerozero
    You do know that Mazzarin knows, he will use this info as he sees fit.
    All it takes is rumors and we will be under the spotlight

The faceless man could of killing us when he/ she first got out of dreaming, he did what he said he would do
    Morpheus has done what he has said he would do
    nanshe has generally kept to her agreement

Nephila at this point was in the prison for centuries, she was in our mercy. We could of killed her or let her starve to death. We freed her to help us in sealing the tunnels, information and translating: and if I remember you said in a previous post that you saw her in a teaching/ adviser type of role in Muirhemne. We didn't release her because we were frighten of her.

A previous contact Mazzarin knows and he is just south of the city

Given the type of decisions that Derryth & co has made, we have taken a lot of risks time and time again, everything we do is a risk .... and the nature of mages is to take risks for power

I am not to sure I can argue myth dwarven psychology and cultural norms but I can comment on human nature - most ppl are selfish to a varying degree, you can do some un-selfish acts but nearly impossible to be un-selfish for your entire life.

Remember this is the guy who convicted an innocent dwarf to death and got you to be a part of it. he did this for his gain.
    Now as with most ppl in authority and in power - they think more about themselves, perfect example are politicians which the king is.
    Derryth is selfish but generally good, we played along with this trial knowing that the dwarf was innocent and we did it for our gain.
    He is giving us a choice as he cannot control us and needs our help.

Ok but you haven't answered the question what would you gain from joining the battle in the south? Given all the other hostile armies against the necromancer army everyone except the cloaked riders who are neutral.

So the King asked you to investigate the Royal family and 'deal' with it (this means kill) because he had a momentary lapse of confidence.
    This was a act of desperation, he asked you to potentially kill his own family to save him, this will hurt his pride and if this got out his reputation as a ruler will be in tatters.

So the threats to him:-

Royal household - traitors

Great/ Minor Houses - revolting and trying to overthrow him

Civil unrest (possible uprising)

Necromancer influence

Spider Goddess cult

I think that there are a lot of threats to his life and rule. The Watcher has been planning for awhile to dis-stabilize the dwarven kingdom.

If he was this good of a ruler, he would need us to do anything for him.

i don't think anyone knows the full extent of the watcher strategies or the TWM except Fangshi, I think it is too much of a coincidence to be drawn to this battle at this time given the state of the city.

Remember that we got 2 letters from the eagle - one from the TWM telling us to got to the battlefield and another one with a M on it.
    If the TWM sent the mazzarin letter as well- how does he know that we have a connection to Mazzarin to write M on it and to dress up the letter so extravagantly to suit Mazzarin's taste. I don't think Mazzarin advertises that we resurrected him.

Nobody knows how the pregnancy will go except Fangshi.

This pregnant necromancer was that important that she was broken out of a pathfinder prison, she has incredible healing and survival powers and the baby will probably have the same if not more.
    This baby will make a perfect host for the watcher/ fallen lord / evil being. i think that we should be worried, this will be much harder to deal with when it matures than now when it is relatively vulnerable.

I mean that the necromancer army has no guarantee of winning, it is surrounded by the ghoul army who are hostile to them, the mazzarin army who are hostile to them, the Eberhardt force who are hostile to them, the dwaven army who are hostile to them. The only ones who are not hostile to them are the cloaked riders who seem to be out for themselves.

I take it you mean the battle south as the fire but are we really needed, look at the hostile armies against the necromancer army who can deal with it (See above).

She and the forces protecting her are not going to hang around for us. She will probably look for more allies and a secure location, she will be long gone.

^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Ugh...
    managed to totally miss promissory note business. I don't care how 2D is paid for.
    9B as much as I wish all our rodents were dead and gone.
    10B

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I ruled Mazzarin out. Forget necromancers, he knows about our involvement with the Fallen Lords. That's a death sentence.

But if Mazzarin sought to ruin us, all he needs to do is snap his fingers. Why start rumors and use middle-men when you can do everything yourself?

This is why I see it as a non-issue.

He also betrayed us in the Dreaming to get to that point, threatened to kill Lyssa and the girls to get our compliance, and would have stolen Nine if Uttu didn't get her from our backpack first. Not to mention our acquaintanceship started with him trying to drive us to suicide.

No thank you, I don't want to do anything with him for the moment.

He is a demon. He is bound to do what he says he would do. He was trying to get us to absolve him of his oath not to abduct us when we first met him.

If he can break his agreement with us to his benefit and keep this knowledge from spreading, I think he would have done so.

Was there a way for her not to? She told us plainly that she would have robbed us completely if she could have gotten away with it. Being honest and/or decent has nothing to do with it. Now, I'll give you that she tried to compensate us with things that were not terribly important to her, but I would still advertise extreme caution when dealing with her, as we work for two very different sides.

As I said, it was one of the factors. We freed her because we couldn't have left her in the fort. Rand was also mentioned as a reason for that.

True, true, but there are smart risks aka gambles, heroic risks like what we did with Miosguinn or at the Fort, and stupid risks like what we did with Melete's workshop. One needs to maintain a delicate balance there.

Innocent? Eberhardt was innocent of the most heinous crime of conspiring with the Dark, but he was still guilty of treason, and we have collected numerous evidence to that effect. He and his family would still hang, though some of his allies may have escaped.

As for 'doing it for his gain', Albrecht does what he believes is best for the country, and, naturally, thinks that he knows what's best. He sees instability as harmful, and so he tries to root out its causes. Now, he may be conceited, but I would not call him selfish.

The motives of Derryth are largely in the air, though I did that to be done with the unpleasant business quickly and to prevent a civil war among other things, seeing how the Eberhards had control over most of the officers and money. I just trusted that Albrecht knew what he was doing.

I would gain access to Stoneheim and its resourses (we still have trading contracts to take care of, and 20 of our mercenaries are stuck there); fame as a war hero; an in with the military and the younger noble dwarves; a weakened Watcher who is seeking to kill us at all costs; and possibly Great Houses who are more loyal to the crown after we are done dealing with traitors. I would save the country that I made my investments in, preserve the military for future use against the ghols or rebels or what-have-you, and secure Albrecht's rule (as without external threats internal ones will have to keep quiet) for a while at least.

Not a bad list, all things considered.

To save him? He asked us to save his country, not him. If he could just take his family and get away from it all, he would have done so. In fact, if you believe his words, that's exactly what he is saying here:
    The problem is that he can't, because there is no one else fit for that job - or at least he thinks so. He has the "I am the state" mindset, though maybe a more benevolent one than Louis XIV had.

I see no reason to think that internal threats are more important than external ones. He will have to manage one while we tackle the other.

That's a good argument, let me apply it to all instances of people that needed our help at some time or the other:
    If Mazzarin was any good as a mage, he wouldn't have needed us to revive him.
    If Morpheus was nearly anywhere as powerful in his realm as he says he is, he wouldn't have needed us to rescue him.
    If Melete was such a genius, why did she not escape her prison with her contraptions?

Do you see a lapse in logic in all of those? Because I do. :)

We told him about Mazzarin's return during our first meeting, and his journal speaks about our connection non-stop. He is ancient enough to remember what Mazzarin is like.

Seriously, this 'letter from Mazzarin' was a very poorly disguised trap. :|

Hell, it even pointed us to the exact same location where TWM is waiting for us to answer his challenge. :lol:

The necromancers are not the only threat. The ghols, the rebels and the cultists are another. Espesially now that we know some of the cultists infiltrated the ranks of the dwarven army. If the rebels are allied with the cultists, this might result in them taking control of Stoneheim or all sorts of nasty things.

The situation in the south is a mess, but there is only one side that I want to win, and if you look at it from that angle, they are definitely outmatched.

We have taken our sweet time getting to the capital, she might already be long gone.

I can't waste time on a wild goose chase when there is a clear immediate danger that I can take care of.

I knew it, I knew you cared!
    :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Uhh... She wrote us the Purple Sun scroll (part of a Nightmare spell, remember?) along with a spellbook from one of TWM's pet mages which she admittedly had little use for.

The Purple Sun scroll at least is pretty damn slick.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It occured to me that we might be missing on our chance to have a bear dormouse cavalry... :M

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, what is this 'champion' system the dwarves have? Every house seem to have one. Who are they? Enforcers? Right-hand men? Bodyguards? What is their position and role in the house and how does one become a champion?

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well that is a long story so here is the short version.

Back when the race of dwarves were young arguments between houses were solved by duels to the death between the leaders of each house. The problem with this is that if you have the leaders murdering each other constantly then it tends to lead to chaos and internal divisions so over time the practice of having a champion developed.

It was the champion's duty to fight in his lord's stead and battle to the death for the good of the house. That worked for a time as it left the command structure of the houses in place while allowing the bloodshed needed to solve problems between them.

This system largely came to an end when the dwarves broke through to the surface and first encountered the ghôls. It was hatred at first sight but the ghôls outnumbered the dwarves at least ten to one. There could be no more fighting between dwarves when faced with such a threat so a system of laws (the ancestor of the current dwarven legal code) was developed and the champions lost their purpose.

They were quick to discover a new purpose however.

As arguably the best warriors the dwarves had the champions were put to work as bodyguards and captains in the war against the ghôls. Those that survived mastered military tactics in a trial by fire as the ghôls relentlessly threw themselves at the gates of Stoneheim.

As the dwarves began to win the war and go on the offensive they realized they needed field commanders, some of the house heads and their heirs volunteered but many more sent their champions in their place. From that day forward the office of champion came to represent something between a bodyguard, a house 'whip' (or policy enforcer), a general and a trusted confident.

A champion can specialize in any one of those things or do all of them.

For example Argus is Albrecht's closest friend, his enforcer, his commander and his bodyguard. The Boar, by contrast, is a bodyguard and a commander but he is not a friend or even an enforcer as he is an outsider and others are used to manage members of the house.

One becomes a champion by being chosen by the lord of a house to serve as one (you can always refuse but it is considered a great honour and only one dwarf has ever refused the call to be champion, it happened five years ago). The position tends to be held for life (until either the lord and/or his champion die). When a champion dies the lord in question will select another, it is respectful to wait at least one week before doing so but it can be done immediately (the longer a lord waits the greater the 'honour' paid to the dead champion, some lords have chosen to never replace a favourite champion though that does expose them to greater risks). The exact way a lord goes about selecting a champion varies and there are no rules to it.

When a lord dies it is traditional for his heir to appoint a new champion from their own inner circle and most heirs have a 'champion' of their own ready for the occasion beforehand. Some heirs choose to use their father/mother's champion and that is seen as a great honour for the champion and a sign of profound trust in the person by the new lord. Most champions though retire when their lord dies/retires, after a lifetime of fighting it is likely to be their only chance at peace.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What is the history between the dwarves and ghols? We only seem to know that they hate each other and contest the same patch of land for millenia. An interlude with Nanshe implied that ghols - or at least, her tribe - originated from the lands far to the south:
    Yet she also claims that the dwarves occupy their ancestral lands.

How did this conflict began and what were its major cornerstones up to this day?

Who was the dwarf, what was the house, and was the reason for refusal ever given? Are there consequences for that kind of thing?

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well, short answer is that since you are talking to a dwarf he will say that the ghôls started it by trying to devour the entire dwarven race.

The longer answer goes as follows:

He says that the dwarves lived below the earth for some time, carving out great halls and impressive palaces within the rock and earth. One day they were digging and they burst through into what they thought was a massive cavern with twinkling diamonds in its roof. They were trying to figure out a way to get up to them when the dawn broke and the sun rose. They retreated back to the cave mouth and observed this phenomena for three days and nights before they decided it was safe (if a bit uncomfortable to live in this 'great cave' and they began to build up and out, creating the fortress city of Stoneheim in the process. It was while they were building that the first ghôls found them, savage beasts with great maws and cold killing stone. They screamed in their degenerate tongue at the dwarves who quickly formed a shield wall to protect themselves from these abominations.

However the dwarves did not attack, their captain, a brave and wise dwarf whose name has sadly been lost to history decided to try and reason with these beasts. After all, perhaps they were simply the natural inhabitants of this cave and some sort of agreement could be reached with them. He approached the creatures with chest out and head held high as any dwarf would, he even raised his hands to show that he was unarmed. The beasts attacked him and carried him off with the dwarves in pursuit. It took them eight hours to find the creatures' camp and when they did they found their captain split open and roasting on a fire.

The dwarves with righteous anger struck down all of the beasts and slaughtered them to the last before taking the remains of their captain back to the First City and committing his remains to the earth.

Many argued that they should wall up the entrance to the strange cavern and forget about it but others argued that the creatures would remain a threat, that they might invade the city and slaughter all of the dwarven race.

The Assembly was locked in heated debate between the two parties, insults were thrown, challenges were issued and accepted as the lords wrestled with what to do next.

Ultimately the decision was made for them, three weeks after the incident the beasts surrounded the fledgling outpost at the top of Stoneheim. They sang and bellowed in their bestial tongue, then they attacked.

That the dwarves fought back to defend their lives, their families and their property and they won though casualties were high.

Following the attack the dwarves went on the offensive and scored a number of absolute victories against the ghôls that were 'squatting' on the land that is now the kingdom. They won for themselves, by keen wits and strong hands, the future of their entire species and a place to call home in the surface world (for in their campaigns they realized that it was no cave they were fighting for but another entire 'world').

As for milestones there aren't many that would mean anything to Derryth, the two species have fought their war since that primordial era, sometimes the dwarves win, sometimes the ghôls win. The dwarves have always had the edge when it comes to technology and discipline but the ghôls have the numbers and mobility. A sort of murderous status quo developed with the two sides killing, kidnapping, eating and enslaving one another and little changed until...

'Outsiders' got involved. Humans, representing both the Light and the Dark started to influence things. The Dark is represented by a series of named and unnamed warlord, captains and the occasional appearance of the Leveller, when the Dark is ascendant the ghôls gain an edge, they drive the dwarves back to their cities, sometimes they even drive them back below ground but the dwarves always take a toll on their persecutors and the ghôls always fragment at the moment of their victory. The Light is in turn represented by the petty kings of men and by the emperors of the Cath Bruig, when the Light is ascendant the dwarves gain the advantage as mercenaries, gold, and resources pour into their cities and they butcher the monsters in their huts and hills but with victory comes complacency and the dwarves only carry their campaigns so far. None have attempted to exterminate the threat at its true source the hills, mountains and jungles of the south and east.

So when Balor swept into the kingdom and murdered Albrecht's father he was just a part of a larger cycle. Some of the dwarves fled back into the depths of Stoneheim and sealed the entrance but for the first time even Stoneheim fell. The dwarves lost the place that birthed their race and fled to the north and the Cath Bruig but found no real help there. When the Cath Bruig fell they fled west to the Province and offered their services to the Avatara.

When the war began to turn and the Legion pushed eastward the dwarven Pathfinders took the opportunity to hurt the ghôls as badly as they had been hurt. They destroyed one of the ghôls' great idols, a physical representation of one of the ghôls' Dark Gods. In doing so the dwarves essentially 'killed' one of the ghôlish gods and threw the clans that were squatting on the kingdom into complete chaos.

When, against all odds, the Emperor Alric managed to win the war the dwarves returned home and exacted another bloody toll on the ghôls. The new dwarven army forged in that desperate fight against a vastly superior foe fell upon the disorganized ghôls, they destroyed hundreds of minor clans and several great ones.

It is said that when Albrecht returned to his home he slaughtered one third of the beasts he found; the blood price to redeem the honour of his people. He enslaved another third, to serve in the reconstruction and restoration of what they had so casually ruined. And of the last third he drove them into the badlands and he hills to live as the animals they were so dead set on behaving like.

If you want to know how the ghôls see things (which Derryth is fairly certain would be different ;)) then you would need to speak to someone that knows their history, the ghôlish elders and record keepers, or at the very least Nanshe.

If you just want to know who was there 'first' that is impossible to say. The dwarves seem to have originated in Stoneheim but you have no way of knowing how long it took them to break through to the surface while the ghôls seem more numerous to the south and southeast of the kingdom though they may have been present on the land that is now the kingdom prior to the dwarves breaking through to the surface.

Liechtenauer was his name.

He has no house. Misread that, the house was House Berg.

He did not see it as an honour.

For him, not really...

For the men that came after him, yes. :lol:

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Nevill's package
    Cii: Derryth + Thais + Biliku + Uttu - our team of investigators.
    Civ: Lyssa + Berty + Skite + Mayer - our recruitment team.
    Cvi: Most of the mice, including Myrra, Poppy and Martin - our spying team.

zerozero's Package
    Bii - Berty, girls, half of Blackfort forces, some pathfinders
    Biii - Derryth, Thais and royal guard, some pathfinders
    Bv - Lyssa, Ceannard and Black Arrows, some pathfinders
    Bvi- Nephila (with a disguise paid for by Albrecht's promissory note with Lysaa's mice

asxetos:
    1. Nevill's package,
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10),
    3. x,
    4. x,
    5. x,
    6. x
    7. x
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Absinthe:
    1. Nevill's package,
    2: B (Nevill), C, D (seriously these rings are too good; lets also put this on the promissory)
    3: Abstain for now. It might be better to let Albrecht's champion keep an eye on them. Might also be better to call him to Stoneheim instead.
    4: D - Martin's pick of the castle + we send someone to go fetch a variety of smaller cheeses from the market.
    5. A
    6. A
    7. A
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Jester:
    1. Nevill's package > C2
    2. A) 5 mandrake roots (2/2/1 ?), B) 12 energon cubes (4/4/4 ?)
    3. H
    4. D
    5. A
    6. A
    7. A
    8. A
    9. B
    10. A

Sunnmøring:
    1. Biv
    2. x
    3. x
    4. x
    5. x
    6. x
    7. x
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Nevill:
    1. Nevill's Package
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10) [promissory note from the King], C) Get another set of jewelry instead of the one we gave to Brothers Dietfried.
    3. A
    4. D
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. x

zerozero:
    1. zerozero's Package
    2. BD
    3. ADEF
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Baltika9:
    1. Nevill's Package
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10) [promissory note from the King], C) Get another set of jewelry instead of the one we gave to Brothers Dietfried.
    3. AD
    4. D>C
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. B

Grimgravy:
    1. B2
    2. B (no more than 15) C, D
    3. H (leave them be)
    4. A Any cheese will do. Stop pandering to rodents
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. B
    9. B
    10. B

archaen:
    1. Nevill's plan
    2. BCD
    3. FG - send for all our mercenaries after they issue the cheese. The armies have no mages and we have gained most of the value of the fort at this moment. There is no need to risk what is left our personnel for almost no gain. Even if one of the lords takes it over we can just unblock the tunnels and let the rhyming monsters massacre them if Nephila lets some live or sneak in our own murder force(Mice with cyanide for the soup).
    4. C for eldritch horror mice, or mice in the dreaming, or Vegeta mice. Either way our forces will be clear.
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. B

Kz3r0:
    1. Cii
    2. ABCD
    3. C
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. A
    9. B
    10. B

1. What to do?

Leading Option: Nevill's Plan (6 votes)
    Nevill's package
    Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Nevill's package

zerozero's Package
    Bii - Berty, girls, half of Blackfort forces, some pathfinders
    Biii - Derryth, Thais and royal guard, some pathfinders
    Bv - Lyssa, Ceannard and Black Arrows, some pathfinders
    Bvi- Nephila (with a disguise paid for by Albrecht's promissory note with Lysaa's mice

asxetos:
    1. Nevill's package,
    2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10),
    3. x,
    4. x,
    5. x,
    6. x
    7. x
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Absinthe:
    1. Nevill's package,
    2: B (Nevill), C, D (seriously these rings are too good; lets also put this on the promissory)
    3: Abstain for now. It might be better to let Albrecht's champion keep an eye on them. Might also be better to call him to Stoneheim instead.
    4: D - Martin's pick of the castle + we send someone to go fetch a variety of smaller cheeses from the market.
    5. A
    6. A
    7. A
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Jester:
    1. Nevill's package > C2
    2. A) 5 mandrake roots (2/2/1 ?), B) 12 energon cubes (4/4/4 ?)
    3. H
    4. D
    5. A
    6. A
    7. A
    8. A
    9. B
    10. A

Sunnmøring:
    1. Biv
    2. x
    3. x
    4. x
    5. x
    6. x
    7. x
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Nevill:
    1. Nevill's Package
    3. A
    4. D
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. x

zerozero:
    1. zerozero's Package
    2. BD
    3. ADEF
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. x
    9. x
    10. x

Baltika9:
    1. Nevill's Package
    3. AD
    4. D>C
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. B

Grimgravy:
    1. B2
    2. B (no more than 15) C, D
    3. H (leave them be)
    4. A Any cheese will do. Stop pandering to rodents
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. B
    9. B
    10. B

archaen:
    1. Nevill's plan
    2. BCD
    3. FG - send for all our mercenaries after they issue the cheese. The armies have no mages and we have gained most of the value of the fort at this moment. There is no need to risk what is left our personnel for almost no gain. Even if one of the lords takes it over we can just unblock the tunnels and let the rhyming monsters massacre them if Nephila lets some live or sneak in our own murder force(Mice with cyanide for the soup).
    4. C for eldritch horror mice, or mice in the dreaming, or Vegeta mice. Either way our forces will be clear.
    5. A
    6. A
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A
    10. B

Kz3r0:
    1. Cii
    2. ABCD
    3. C
    4. D
    5. A
    6. B
    7. B
    8. A
    9. B
    10. B

1. What to do?

Leading Option: Nevill's Plan (6 votes)
    Nevill's package
    C)ii: Derryth + Thais + Biliku + Uttu - our team of investigators.
    C)iv: Lyssa + Berty + Skite + Mayer - our recruitment team.
    C)vi: Most of the mice, including Myrra, Poppy and Martin - our spying team.

zerozero's plan - 1 vote
    Biv - 1 vote
    Bii - 1 vote
    Cii - 1 vote

2. What to buy?

1 abstain

Mandrake Roots 2/9 votes (1 general vote that goes to the leading option)
    1 vote for 5 roots (2/2/1 ?)

Energon Cubes: 8/9 votes (3 general votes that go to the leading option)
    3 votes for 30 cubes (10/10/10) using an Albrecht promissary note
    2 votes for 12 cubes (4/4/4) - One vote directly for 12 and one vote for anything under 15

Jewelry: 6/9 votes

Spell Ring: 5/9 votes
    4 votes to buy it with a promissory note from Albrecht

1 vote to just buy it

3. Who to call?
    (3 abstain)

A) 3/7 votes
    B)
    C) 1/7 votes
    D) 2/7 votes
    E) 1/7 votes
    F) 2/7 votes
    G) 1/7 votes
    H) 2/7 votes

4. Cheese
    (2 abstain)
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 6 votes

5. The Seekers
    (2 abstain)
    A) 8 votes
    B)

6. Mazzarin
    (2 abstain)
    A) 5 votes
    B) 3 votes

7. Nanshe
    (2 abstain)
    A) 2 votes
    B) 6 votes

8. Sticky Bombs
    (4 abstain)
    A) 5 votes
    B) 1 vote

9. Martin
    (4 abstain]
    A) 3 votes
    B) 3 votes

10. Ring
    (4 abstain)
    A) 1 vote
    B) 5 votes

zerozero's plan - 1 vote
    Biv - 1 vote
    Bii - 1 vote
    Cii - 1 vote

2. What to buy?

1 abstain

Mandrake Roots 2/9 votes (1 general vote that goes to the leading option)
    1 vote for 5 roots (2/2/1 ?)

Energon Cubes: 8/9 votes (3 general votes that go to the leading option)
    3 votes for 30 cubes (10/10/10) using an Albrecht promissary note
    2 votes for 12 cubes (4/4/4) - One vote directly for 12 and one vote for anything under 15

Jewelry: 6/9 votes

Spell Ring: 5/9 votes
    4 votes to buy it with a promissory note from Albrecht

1 vote to just buy it

3. Who to call?
    (3 abstain)

A) 3/7 votes
    B)
    C) 1/7 votes
    D) 2/7 votes
    E) 1/7 votes
    F) 2/7 votes
    G) 1/7 votes
    H) 2/7 votes

4. Cheese
    (2 abstain)
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 6 votes

5. The Seekers
    (2 abstain)
    A) 8 votes
    B)

6. Mazzarin
    (2 abstain)
    A) 5 votes
    B) 3 votes

7. Nanshe
    (2 abstain)
    A) 2 votes
    B) 6 votes

8. Sticky Bombs
    (4 abstain)
    A) 5 votes
    B) 1 vote

9. Martin
    (4 abstain]
    A) 3 votes
    B) 3 votes

10. Ring
    (4 abstain)
    A) 1 vote
    B) 5 votes

So the current leading options are:

1. For what to do: Nevill's plan

2. For what to buy, the energon cubes jewelry and spell ring (paid for by Albrecht)

3. For who to call, no one

4. For the cheese, the sampler platter and something from the palace

5. To hire the Seekers, yes (and they will operate under your command unless there are objections) [Albrecht will cover the cost]

6. To tell Albrecht about Mazzarin, yes

7. To tell Albrecht about Nanshe, no

8. To build the Sticky Bombs, yes

9. To feed Martin the glowing cheese, tied

10. To work on the ring right away, no

So as soon as I know if you want to feed the cheese to Martin I will close the vote. The update will come within a day of when I close the vote.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I just want to see how bad is the blood between the two races. I know it is pretty bad, but just how bad.

How widespread is the enslaving of ghols? How many ghol slaves are there in the kingdom, currently?

How common it is for ghols to enslave dwarves (or other species), or do they just eat them or sacrifice them to their Dark Gods?

I don't want to say it outright to the man's face, but I want to gauge if there is a chance that Lilli is still alive somewhere out there. Who knows (well, Nanshe probably does).

Meaning? Did the house take measures against this sort of thing? I can't help but notice that it is a human serving house Berg in that role. How common it is for the champion to be an outsider?

Was this in any way related to the infiltration of house Berg by the cultists? Is Liechtenauer still around for questioning?

If no one will flop by the time you are ready to work on the update, consider me flopping to 9B. I thought that since there is no clear majority and a vocal opposition, such votes are ruled out anyway.

Also, paging Kz3r0 to clarify if his vote for 3C should be viewed as 3AB or not. This means the difference between calling Lord Hesse away from the fort and letting him stay there with his soldiers under Argus' supervision.

Personally I am fine with either, so don't let it hold the closing of the votes back. ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It is common practice in the Kingdom but no where else.

Roughly 20,000 maybe. Some industries run completely or near completely on slavery. Mining and agriculture for example so most of the slaves are kept in fortified compounds in the countryside.

Mostly they just eat them and sacrifice them from what the dwarves can tell but it is difficult to say as so few former slaves escape in the first place. Presumably if a captive is more useful to them as a slave than a sacrifice or a meal they would keep them as a slave but that is just speculation.

Meaning Berg sent forty men to make him 'reconsider'. Only one returned to tell Berg that Liechtenauer still was not interested.

Depends on the house, though it is more common to have a dwarf in the role. In fact some think a dwarf should always fill the role while others are willing to use whoever can get the job done. The choice of a champion says a lot about the nature and values of the lord that chooses him/her/them.

The people you can talk to right now would not know that. Not the least because it is not even certain that House Berg is in fact compromised.

Sure, he is staying at an inn in town.

Oh, not a problem. I am willing to wait and let the vote sort itself out naturally (and this has nothing to do with Wasteland 2's release, I swear... :lol:), if it is still tied by the end of the weekend I will just flip a coin.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Now that's just stupid, trying to force the position of your right-hand man. What did they think would happen even if they succeeded? :lol:

I hope meeting the man can be an option in one of the next updates before we have to leave town.

Indeed. So what kind of men these people are? I am especially interested in those who are not dwarves or warriors - Seinsheim's, Berg's and Welf's.

Well, it already did. :argh:

9B. Man, the things I deny myself for these updates... :cry:

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Ah, sure if you want to, don't see why you couldn't.

Well, skipping Argus since you already know what he is like. I will start with the least unusual champions and work my way to the most unusual champions.

Houses Hesse and Raginar:

Alfhild and Asgar are the warrior type (which makes sense as their houses are warrior houses), they drink, they fight, they laugh, they cry. They are very much stereotypical dwarves and they are very much in love. They actually met each other after they became the champions of their respective houses. They wound up on opposite sides in a barroom brawl, after a good ten minutes of beating each other senseless they knew it was love and were married within the year. They look after their friends, terrify their enemies, and represent their lords in the exact sort of manner that Hesse and Raginar expect.

He favours an axe and shield, she favours and mace and shield, they fight in a straightforward and traditional style.

House Berg:

The 'Artisan' is a master with a blade, no one knows his real name but he came to the city three years ago looking for a challenge. He is a thin man and short with hard features and dead eyes (even when he smiles or laughs his eyes remain cold), he sports a mustache in the fir'Bolg style and seems to be almost as skilled with a bow as he is with a sword.

The champion of a minor house (so minor you really do not need to know their name) spotted him wandering the streets and decided it would be worth his time to 'harass' a 'foreigner' for an evening. Things quickly deteriorated and a formal challenge was issued by the dwarf to the man.

They met three evenings later in one of the smaller squares in town with suitable witnesses (the Artisan knew no one in the city but drafted an out of work vintner to serve as his witness). The duel was over quickly, the Artisan winning handedly but it was not simply the speed with which he won that impressed and horrified the onlookers. He carved up the dwarf, sculpting him into a gross mockery of his former self and so he came to be known as the Artisan (probably because the 'Sculptor' did not have the same ring to it).

He fights to win and is completely without mercy but will only act if ordered to or provoked.

He is considered by many to be the second best swordsman in the city. Liechtenauer is the best. The two do not get along well as a result though the rivalry is almost completely on the 'Artisan's' side.

House Welf:

The 'Boar', is Welf's servant and he acquired him when he was just a runt of a maul. He took care of him, educated him, trained him and now the Boar returns the favour by loyally serving the dwarf in all things.

Unlike the Artisan the Boar's name is not unknown, it is just that no one bothers to remember it. He has served as a mercenary and a captain, some even say he could be a general and he certainly has a martial air about him. He is certainly no animal, he is well versed in the dwarven classics, in the sagas and poetry of his adopted people and it is said that he is quite a skilled chef as well.

He fights with a spear and shield using his impressive size, weight and reach to strike at smaller opponents from a distance. He is also more than proficient in a number of shorter ranged weapons and is capable of switching to something more useful should an opponent slip past his guard.

Next to Argus he is the only surviving champion of a major house that is confident and capable leading large bodies of men. In fact he is arguably a better commander than the King's champion though he is less well liked by his men (most of them being dwarves of 'standing' they rankle a little under the command of a servant and a maul too boot).

House Seinsheim:

Seinsheim's champions are unusual in a number of regards. First, there are two of them, and while there are technically no laws against having two people share the role of champion it is frowned upon by the rest of the houses who view it as 'undwarven' and 'unsporting'. Seinsheim as always does not care what any of the other lords think and so both Galena and Treva are his champions.

The second thing most dwarves object to is that they are both mages, Galena is an elementalist that specializes in metal spells while Treva is an adept that specializes in physical spells. The result is that they will often use their magic to win duels decisively. Again this is seen as 'undwarven' and 'unsporting' and again Seinsheim could not care less.

The two mages are thought to be sisters and look to be twins from the way they act and are able to anticipate each other's actions. They are also thought to be refugees from the Empire but no one is sure about that. Very little is known about them in general (even their names are not necessarily their real names) in fact.

They serve as bodyguards and 'magic detectors' for the dwarf lord. Why he would need such protection the dwarf lord has not seen fit to say.

Alright then, the vote is closed and the update will be out within a day.

Edit:

The update is about half done and is likely to be up sometime in the next twenty four hours when I have a moment to finish/edit it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, what determines how successful is a person in mastering a given spell school? Is it a natural predisposition, a state of mind, or are there other factors? Are there 'opposite' schools that are impossible to learn together?

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The short answer is that you can learn any spell, it is just more difficult to learn those from schools/specialties you are unfamiliar with or which 'clash' with how you think/feel/act.

What I mean is that magic lends itself to use in particular ways. If you spend enough time using a particular sort of magic to master it then you also have made an important statement about your own character and inclinations.

So for example maybe you are the sort of person that is impulsive and gets angry easily. Well then you will have an easier time using fire magic than water magic or mental magic. Now generally speaking people do what they are good at so you are going to spend more time learning fire magic than let's say water or mental magic.

As a result you will have more fire spells than anything else and as a result of that you will be more likely to use fire spells to solve your problems. Like that old saying, 'when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail'. Since you will be using fire magic all the time you are also likely to get angry more often as anger is useful in working your spells. If you get angry more often then you will become more proficient at fire magic than at other schools and specializations of magic which will in turn bias you towards learning more of it.

By that point you are looking at a circle of positive reinforcement. Your nature determines you inclination which in turn limits your options which in turn determines how you will solve problems which in turn influences your nature. The path of least resistance is to follow this circle until you meet your end.

So the Watcher, the Necromancer, is an embodiment of traditional necromancy and its author primarily because that is the sort of man he is and chooses to be.

Culwyeh was an Axe Wizard because that fit with the type of person she was at heart.

Myrdred was a manipulator, even before he became the Deciever and so he was a master of mental (and some say illusion) spells as one would expect.

And so on...

Now this is not inevitable, someone does not need to channel anger to use fire magic. A mentalist can use spells from their field without becoming a 'snoop' and desiring to know/control others and nothing about magic forces you to behave a certain way if you choose not to but there are consequences attached to choosing not to use your powers in the most effective way. One obvious one is that you will have to go up against people that have no problem following their own nature and a fire mage that fights angry will be more powerful than one that fights peacefully. The weaker fighter will have to use their other abilities, their intellect and their ah, for lack of a better term, their wisdom to find a way around a stronger opponent.

The big example of this sort of mage is Alric who simply was not the best mage out there (he was not even top five, hell he was probably not even top twenty at the beginning of the Great War) but he did not rely solely on magic to get the job done and at the end of the day he was the guy left standing after everyone else had fallen.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So what kind of mindset should we be pursuing to become a master mentalist? Would we be better at it if we were a scheming type like the Deceiver instead of relying on mutual trust and teamwork?

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Mechanically the spells would work the same whether you are trusting or not but with mental spells you have to provide the ammunition to attack/influence your opponent with.

So the better you are at creating fictions/lying/manipulating the better you will be at using mentalist spells. The more trusting and honest you are, the harder it will be to supply your spells with the needed lies to cast mental and illusion spells.

So, on one level there is nothing stopping an honest man from learning all the mental spells (just like there is nothing stopping a calm man from learning all the fire spells) but a liar/scoundrel/plotter will be better at it than an honest man just like an impulsive and angry person will be better than a calm one when it comes to fire magic.

Similar principles apply to illusions.

Additionally a calm mind is better able to use mental and illusion spells, so a mind detached from the plight of others (a colder and less caring mind) will also be better at these fields than one that deeply cares for others. Again, it does not mean that those who care can't learn, it just means that psychopaths will be 'naturals' in a way that a regular person would not.

Finally there is another general effect that comes about from the characters being less open with one another (more paranoid, suspicions, competitive and self-centered). They will tend to be stronger individually since they are forced to rely entirely upon themselves. If the ladies did not trust one another and each did their own thing in a fight they would be more powerful 'on paper'. I say 'on paper' because it is often not about who is the most powerful but rather it is about who is the most devious or clever. As long as you can out think the enemy, power is of little concern (after a point of course, a farmboy with a pitchfork and nothing else is not going to be able to harm Mazzarin for example).

Of course, there are also different ways to measure power:

Derryth and Thaïs would be more powerful if they hypothetically developed separately (provided they received the same level of training that they did in the real events of the CYOA). However that is only true when considering them separately. When you consider them together they are currently stronger than they would have been if trained this much but apart. The reason for this is simple and shows up every time they attack. They inevitably work as a team to overcome their opponents, so one will feint while the other strikes or one will latch on to a target with half a spell and leave the rest of the spell to their friend, the things the two of them do are quite difficult to fend off precisely because their behavior is very atypical for mentalists. They let each other into their heads and this gives them a level of coordination and understanding that is difficult to match for most.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Is there a list of what magic lends itself better to what sort of characters? At least, concerning the known spell schools.

So far we know that Fire gives best results when practiced by angry and/or passionate people, while Mind favors detachment and cold logic. But what about the rest of them? What kind of people are Wind/Air mages, or Metal (no, not METAL!) ones?

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, I could do a full writeup of the different spells schools when Derryth actually spends time around orthodox mages or meets/recruits a 'schooled' mage that can tell her about it. For the moment though none of the mages in your group have access to that sort of knowledge given that none of them went through the academies. (It would also be rather long and if I had the time to write that right now I would rather use it to finish the update ;)).

What I can do for now though is give the short version that Henry would have made sure Derryth knew, just the barebone basics.

Animal magic - basically these mages fall into one of three broad groups. Those that control animals, those that persuade animals and those that 'are' animals. The first type favour a calm mind with low empathy and use their spells to force animals into cooperation. The second type also favours a calm mind but with high empathy and a bit of persuasion/negotiation to convince the animals to willingly enter into partnerships with the mage. The third type is completely theoretical as no proven case has been shown to exist (among humans at least). If one could somehow think like an animal it might be possible to 'naturally' command them and maybe even become them...

Physical spells - are broken down into two broad philosophies. The first emphasizes a punishing offense and encourages an aggressive and 'risk taking' mindset. The second emphasizes an impenetrable defense and favours a calm mind and keen perception.

Communication spells - as a discipline without known specialists not enough is known about this school to really know what would be the best mindset to have for it. One can speculate though that a clear purpose/focused mind would be a boon.

Elemental spells - These are very well known as this is by far the most popular school of magic in the setting. (For example there are more dedicated fire mages [a sub field mind you] than there are animal magic specialists in total.)

So:
    Air magic - an excited, joyful, and open mind that seeks out new experiences but also a mind that has trouble settling on any one thing.

Earth magic - a calm, collected, and 'common sense' sort of mind that focuses on matters as they are but also a mind that can lack 'vision'

Fire magic - a quick tempered, agitated, and aggressive mindset. Courageous but vengeful, impassioned but impulsive. (There is also a second sort of mind that can use these spells in a different manner, patient, smoldering, resentful and cunning, this is the Way of the Ember'.)

Ice magic - a detached mind but one filled with cool contempt for those around it, merciless but fair in its hostility. Murderous but also predictable in its own way (some might even say loyal).

Lightning magic - all of the excitement of the air mage but replace the joy with a competitive spark (which can be good-natured or vindictive). This is a mind of rapidly shifting emotions but also one possessed of a fine degree of control when it comes to unleashing those same emotions.

Metal magic - a sharp mind and a keen wit, a love for simple truths and a dislike of deception. Can be cold or hot, sometimes both and always firm and a little unforgiving.

Poison magic -jealous, envious, cruel and very rarely straightforward, the most common practitioner of this specialty seeks to use it as a weapon. There are exceptions though, some are drawn to it because it can relieve pain and with but a little harm can do a lot of good, such minds tend to be self sacrificing and highly empathetic. Both types of minds tend to be quite good at reading others.

Water magic - a relaxed mind, a slippery mind, a happy mind but one that can turn easily and when it does it can be furious and murderous.

Wood magic - the enlightened mind, the 'wise' mind, the mind that bends but does not break, the 'living' mind, it is a difficult specialty to learn and master for this very reason and the demands it places on the user are high.

Enchantment magic - a keen eye for detail and a methodical mind that calmly analyzes the world looking for flaws to fix. Little 'emotion' and quite 'rational'.

Gate magic - there are next to no known specialists in this school so it is difficult to say what their minds are like.

Healing magic - a emphatic mind and one that is capable of self sacrifice, the type of mind that wants to 'fix' problems when they see them.

Illusion/Mental magic - deceivers/tricksters/plotters/jesters, the type of mind that delights in its own use, the type that love a trap or a riddle, an adventurous mind but also paranoid and both difficult to trust and to be trusted.

Invisibility/Light magic - a mind that either sees the world in 'black and white' and is very binary or the complete opposite, a mind that delights in investigating the shadows where light and darkness co-mingle and strange thoughts are born. The first type tends to be very practical and literal, the second type delights in the abstract.

Meta spells - less of a specialty and more of a tool for individual mages to cast their spells there is no known 'mindset' for this school.

Movement spells - another field that no one really specializes in as far as Derryth knows.

Nature spells - not really for humans but those few that do specialize in it are the type that view all of creation as a single whole and seek balance in all things both within and without.

Necromancy - selfish, scared, broken, vengeful minds. A dark mind to suit a dark art though that may have a lot to do with the Watcher's own nature and his continued presence in the field throughout its existence.

Protective spells - presumably the mind that seeks to specialize in this school needs to deep feelings for at least those close to them combined with a gift for improvisation and innovation as currently this school is almost non existent and anyone that wanted to specialize in it would have to largely build it from scratch.

Summoning spells - a risk taker, the kind of mind with little regard for their own safety or the safety of others. Most would be summoners and 'demonologist' die well before they unleash something truly horrible and as such theis field is not at all well developed enough to have a 'type' beyond the fools that perish in pursuit of it.

Technology spells - an innovative and very unorthodox mind would be needed to expand this school and bring it into its own. For now there are simply too few trying (and succeeding) to have an established 'type' of mind.

So those are the general sorts of mindsets drawn to different types of magic and those types of minds will do best at each field/specialty 'naturally' however as already mentioned it is not about who is most powerful but rather who is the most clever more often than not.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    I expected that storytellers would fit illusion/mental to, surprise i guess.

Physical spells, Communication spells, Wood magic, Metal magic, Enchantment magic, Protective spells, Technology spells - from my perspective those are schools that Derryth should have possible talent in. It depend on my character interpretation though.

^ Top  
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Warrior mask seems a combination of metal and physical spell, so she's got one foot in there, no?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.