Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Party/Organizational Changes:

Party Changes:

Show Spoiler
    Not much. You have not technically lost the Spinner yet though if C wins you will give it to Janine on your way out. If any option wins where you do not return to the main floor immediately then you will give the spinner to her when you do. Naturally if you somehow manage to get yourself banned from the Academy you will not be able to pursue the cape program.

Organizational Changes:

Show Spoiler
    None you are aware of yet.

Rolls:

Show Spoiler
    A lot of rolls around the Kingdom. Some are obvious (the Army heading south and the enemies down there or Nanshe, TWM and your ambush attempt). Others are not immediately obvious but include rolls for Mazzarin, Gareth, Christine and Kára among others.

Lyssa's team and Martin's team also had a few rolls which I can't get into.

As for your group there were a number of social rolls. Derryth did poorly as she normally does and Thaïs did well as she normally does. Beyond that though I don't want to get into specific details for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think we should follow Jan.

D. Have Thais find Janine ASAP to act as a guide (she told us to meet her after we are done) while Derryth and the girls attempt to track the Professor. Thais and Janine can get back to us by following our necklaces - Thais should be able to 'feel' them like we felt Nanshe's. Should some questions arise that we would not be able to answer, just show her Albrecht's letter.

Hopefully, it will allow us to traverse the Academy with less risk to ourselves and still find Jan before he slips away.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Lyssa is currently across the city helping to screen your new recruits.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Right. Thais. Sorry.

It's been so long... :negative:

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Before we start voting, though, I'd like to speculate a little.

I think that we struck bull's eye with our story. You can almost smell blood. We need to take this chance and follow it through.

But I also think the first thing we need is to try and guess what kind of game is our opponent playing.

He will try to lose you in the corridors of the Academy before he runs off to whatever business he has. What is this business, though?

It may be one of several things - it can be a meeting with someone, which, I guess, might happen outside of the Academy; it can also be a certain place he is heading to, especially if he is related to the cultists.

Or he is just trying to get you out of his lab. Think about it - he does not get out of his study much lately, and if he isn't lying, most news he receives he gets from his brother, Timo. If there is some secret that he needs to hide, it is much more likely to be in his own little fortress, which is, unfortunately, currently occupied by us.

So what I think will happen is that he lures us after him, throws us off the scent somehow, races back to his lab and does whatever he thinks needs to be done. We can probably search his study right now, but I believe it would be best if he himself leads us to what he thinks is so important. To catch him red-handed, so to speak.

To that end, I want a guard posted near the door. It should probably be one of our girls.

Of course, we should still follow him, either to make him think his ploy succeeded, or on the off-chance he really wants to leave the premises.

Fangshi, do we know if the dwarves have some sort of a device that can give off a signal to make us return in time? I know we can produce one ourselves through the necklaces (like we did with Nanshe), but as always, I want our ladies together.

Also, which of our enchantments make us unable to hide from a mage by giving off a signal that can be traced by them? We know that the necklaces, the rings and the bracers do not, while the enchanted jewelry does. Whoever is doing this would need to leave the enchanted items behind. Actually, all of us need to do that if we don't want to get noticed.

I want someone to hide near the door to Jan's study and give us a signal to return which would go unnoticed by the mage. What are our best means to achieve that?

And I want to be able to signal to the guard if we leave the building. What are our options?

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well, they could blow up an artefact. That would send off a strong signal but they don't really have a device designed to give off a signal.

Active enchantments will give off a signal. The rings don't, the bracers don't seem to, and the necklaces also do not seem to as well (though theoretically they should). The jewelry will because is constantly active.

Give them something they could overload though you would need a mage/skilled enchanter to guarantee success with that.

Well if the guard is not a mage then you can not do much. If the guard is a mage then they might be able to sense you leaving if you are carry a lot of active enchantments.

Of course as a mage Jan will notice any magic based signal if he is close enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What about our weapons?

What is the difference between active and passive enchantments?

Ask how would Caoilainn take it if we change the owners of the bracelets? Is she still afraid of switching them off for a few seconds?

If the bracelets are given to a non-mage, will she still be able to communicate with them?

How far away can be the bracelets get for Caoilainn to be able to talk with both wearers? I believe there were times when we briefly have been away from Thais during the course of our adventure for us to know that.

How big is the Academy? Is it bigger than our fort?

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There are two ideas for a short/mid-range communication that should go unnoticed by a third party.

First relies on the properties of the necklaces and lead, and we have already tested it on Nanshe. Take some lead bars or gloves or what-have-you and cover your necklace with it. You can transmit simple messages that way. This method is limited to our ladies, so Thais should be the guard.

The second relies on Caoilainn and her ability to talk to the bracelets' owners while being able to see and experience everything around them. The wearers can communicate between themselves by asking Caoilainn to pass messages. This method would work best - if it works at all - with our girls, so one of them should be the guard. Probably the more disciplined one, Biliku.

I guess I'll also add E depending on what options are available to us.

E) 'Have Thais find Janine ASAP to act as a guide (she told us to meet her after we are done) while Derryth and the rest of the team attempt to track the Professor down. We will leave all of our enchanted stuff with Janine to stash them somewhere for safekeeping so that Jan would not be able to detect us easily. Have one of your team members hide near Jan's laboratory to warn you to come back in case the Professor is simply trying to get you out so that he could hide evidence or otherwise attempt something suspicious. Should Jan leave the premises of the Academy, the 'guard' should be recalled and leave with us. If Janine has questions we can not answer satisfactorily by ourselves, make use of Albrecht's letters.
    i) Thais should be the guard and communicate with you through the necklaces with the simple code system you have developed for Nanshe.
    ii) Biliku should be the guard and communicate with Uttu through the bracelets with Caoilainn's help.'

Or just roll it under D and add 'iii) You do not post a guard. Best not to split up.' or something,

^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Persistent spells but I don't think you have any persistent effects on the weapons. Uttu's bowstring and quiver only work when activated while Biliku's shield only reacts when it is hit (and the ladies do not have enchanted weapons) so as long as they do not use them there should not be a signal.

The difference is simply that the 'active' spells are ones that are always 'on' (for example a spell that boosts a stat constantly while it is active), they would more accurately be called constant effects or something like that. The spells that are not always 'on' (a fireball for example) will only give off a signal if active.

Well she would not like it but it is not like she can do anything about it.

Probably, the bracelets seem to functionally be enchanted items.

Eleven, maybe twelve meters.

Yes, it is about twelve city blocks all told.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Jan is running off to find the remains of the mortal dwarf that helped the incipent spider goddess. They have his spear somewhere, and that spear is Important.

Whether Jan plans to use this spear to aid or hinder the goddess though, that I do not know.

It would certainly explain why the dwarves and the spider goddess have had so many dealings, if one of the ancient dwarves helped her ascent to power, eh?

We can't let Jan go. As to how we should pursue, I'm not so sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Is our jewelry 'on' if we aren't wearing it?

Well, that rules Caoilainn out.

So I guess the choice would be between leaving Thais behind, or heading back to the lab if we manage to lose him. How is this, then?

D) 'Have Thais find Janine ASAP to act as a guide (she told us to meet her after we are done) while Derryth and the rest of the team attempt to track the Professor down. We will remove the items with active enchantments from our clothing so that Jan would not be able to detect us easily. Thais and Janine can get back to us by following our necklaces - Thais should be able to 'feel' them like we felt Nanshe's. If Janine has questions we can not answer satisfactorily by ourselves, make use of Albrecht's letters.

You may want to have Thais hide near Jan's laboratory to warn you to come back in case the Professor is simply trying to get you out so that he could hide evidence or otherwise attempt something suspicious. Should Jan leave the premises of the Academy, she should be recalled and leave with us as well.
    i) Thais should be the guard and communicate with you through the necklaces with the simple code system you have developed for Nanshe.
    ii) There is no need for the guard. The Academy is probably too big for you to get back there on time anyway. Best to not split up.'

I can't believe you didn't recognize our old friend Faceless Tranny. A mortal that dallies with gods and demons alike, an ancient wanderer armed with a spear. Come on, there is only one man that fits the description!

No, I think it is something else that had him spooked.

Also, Fangshi, I've noticed this:
    What would exactly be involved in 'training' our mice and their champion in particular? From what I've seen, Ratguard already has some clues about discipline and subordination. What differentiates trained pets from untrained ones?

Any way we can make it up to her so she would not hold a grudge over it?

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Depends on the spell, with the enchantments you have they would not give a signal if you were not wearing them.

Sure I can alter D to that.

Trained v. untrained simply has to do with how likely they are to follow orders and the like. In the case of the rodents it would be difficult to make them as 'trained' as the eagles are. They are simply too intelligent and self-interested to behave the way the eagles do.

Get her body back and/or get her out of the bracelets.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  15. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Di. His reaction has something to do with the mortal wanderer that assisted the Spider Goddess i guess?

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hm. Seeing how the last inscription on the tablet was by added by a different hand at a later date... let's try a wild guess.

Fangshi, we still have the letter from the Faceless when he escaped from the bracelets, correct? Can we compare the handwriting?

^ Top  
  17. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Guy is suspicious after last part he become all defensive and stuff.
    Key to this riddle is person who added last part. I doubt that random cultist would write on their holy text, would expect rather some kind of researcher... mby Jan is continuing someone else work?
    I expect that he isnt the cultist, but he knows who of his family is. Might be that he wish to show that person what we find out. Either way shadowing him sound like opportunity.

D II? i guess

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That's a possibility. The tablet differed from the common myth by the time it spoke of the failed trap, but he didn't react up until he read the last part.

If that person were alive and readily available, though, would there be so many untranslated texts lying around? And if they were dead or at least not around, why the hurry?

It can also be the case that he provided the location of the Pathfinder prison unwittingly. Especially if he contacted the Goddess before out of scientific interest. He didn't answer our question from before.

^ Top  
  19. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Nevill I am confused on how we are using the necklaces in D as a signal source since our necklaces don't send out a signal. Are we supposed to be feeling more or less insane?

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Our necklaces are unnoticeable by anyone else, but I think we are supposed to sense them... are we, Fangshi?
    Nanshe was unable to sense us before we waltzed in the treasury, but we could pick up her signal from several miles away.

I admit, though, that I never asked if we were able to detect the signal, but given that they were intended to keep the wearers together I assumed that they also helped us find each other.

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You do not see any clear connections between the two pieces of writing. Of course one is ink on paper while the other is chiseled into clay and the two languages are also quite different so that does not mean there is not neccesarily mean there is no connection.

You can not generally sense them either without something to help pick up their signal (the fellows' instruments). In theory you should be able to and since you know exactly what you will be looking for you might be able to pull it off but the enchantments on the necklaces are very well constructed and are very difficult to detect.

If you had to guess they are designed so that Mazzarin can find you whenever he wants and if you put the time/effort in you might be able to use them to find eachother but in general they are not a great way of determining someone's position.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So what are our options if we want Thais and Janine to be able to find us? A trail of magical crumbs?

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Set off signals they can find. Cast spells, use magical items, that sort of thing. Or trust that Thais will be able to manage to track you with the necklaces.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Is the Royal Academy located under a roof of a single building, or is it a name for a whole complex spanning several blocks connected by streets?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.