Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It is a complex that spans several blocks, it is connected together by a number of private streets, squares, parks and the like. The buildings are also connected by various enclosed walkways and underground tunnels. The entire Academy can be sealed off at a moment's notice or specific buildings can be cut off from the rest of the Academy.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    But it is located under an open sky, right? So something like Uttu's flare should work.

Bonus point for the bow not being enchanted by our ladies or being fired inside the city before, so it can't be connected to us.

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Yeah, there are open spaces between the buildings.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Eh. Since I don't suppose Di will work at all with the clarifications given, I'll go with Dii.

Hopefully, Thais will find us before we manage to find trouble.

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well... as usual, when the update is not forthcoming, I start asking stupid questions. ;)

What is the current year, month and day? What time of year is it now? How big is the known Mythverse and are all of its lands equally affected by the seasons' change? If it is small enough (if the Empire of Cath Bruig is to the world what Europe is to Earth), then I suppose climatic changes to be rather mild from kingdom to kingdom. If, however, it covers most of the world, the picture should be radically different.

It isn't all needless fluff, though. I remember the seasons playing an important role in Myth Official Campaign with the winter stalling the conflict for several months after the snow covered the Cloudspine passes, separating the Eastern and the Western Empires and cutting the Fallen Lords from their reinforcements.

Don't know how relevant it might be to the dwarven kingdom, though. Which is probably why I am asking. :)

Besides, what about the age of our characters? Do they celebrate birthdays in Mythverse? Are there any traditions or rites common to the Cath Bruig Empire? I'd assume not many people know the exact date of their birth, what with the most of the peasantry being illiterate (it is kind of interesting how all of our Circle members so far were literate, except for Tyrward and Ithapi - that should not be terribly common, I think). I wonder, how widespread the calendars are and if there is a system in place that allows even illiterate people to keep track of time.

Still it would be interesting how many of us know the day they were born. Amena and Ithapi probably have no memory of it, but Thais definitely should know hers. I am not sure about the rest of our group.

Would be nice to know if any of our team is due for a present any time soon. :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Just giving people time to vote if they wish to. Only five or six votes have actually been cast so far, so it seemed a little premature to call the vote. I won't have time to type up an update for thirty six to forty eight hours anyway so feel free to discuss or pepper me with questions.

Speaking of which, current tally:

Show Spoiler
    Nevill: Dii
    Baltika9: Dx
    Grimgravy: A
    asxetos: Di
    Jester: Dii
    Kz3r0: Dii

Dii: 3 votes
    Di: 1 vote
    A: 1 vote
    D unspecified: 1 vote

A fair question as I don't think I have given any real information on that. Myth II Soulblighter ended on May 4, 2541 AE with the defeat of the 'last' of the Fallen Lords. The Prologue of the CYOA begins essentially a year later in late April/early May before the Heron Guard hold their tournament and the grand bazaar happens in the city (as a reminder the Guard have actually pushed back the tournament to the autumn harvest instead of the spring harvest due to complications arising from events that occurred during the Prologue).

Now the Prologue took a week as mentioned, the first chapter lasted essentially a month, the interlude was another two months and this chapter has been about three so far so the exact date is November 11, 2542 AE (and hopefully I did not screw that up during any of the updates ;)).

No one knows how big the Mythverse is. The known lands consist of everything on this map:

[​IMG]

Beyond that no one is certain (or at least not anyone Derryth has ever asked).

As far as I can tell the known lands are essentially Europe (though certainly bigger it seems) so you can expect continental European climates in the Province, Gower, the southern and central Ermine and the Empire proper for the most part.

However the east has also been seriously damaged by magic so the Barrier is mostly badlands and Yer-Ks has the great misfortune of sharing Britain's weather. :lol:

The Kingdom has always been mostly desert and can be quite hot at times. The Duns and Strainer of Kraken have shorter growing seasons as well.

The Trow lands tend to be mostly desert as well.

Winter will be coming soon to most of the known lands though the Dwarven Kingdom will largely be spared snowfall and the like (except on the taller mountain ranges).

According to my notes (which I made at the end of Chapter 1 when it was clear this CYOA was going to have a longer run):

Derryth, Thaïs, Gareth and Serpent are all the same age roughly. Gareth is oldest and is about 29. Derryth and Thaïs are both 28. Serpent is 27.

Meletē is in between (at about 25 according to Thaïs) as is Caoilainn though you don't know exactly how old she is. Lyssa is also likely younger than you but she has not said how old she is.

Christine and Brigit are younger than the rest and are about the same age. They are both in their early twenties. Brigit is 23 and Christine has not seen fit to tell you her exact age.

Amena is around 18 or 19.

Ithapi is around 17 or 18.

Biliku is 14.

Uttu is 12.

Yes.

The equinoxes and solstices are celebrated throughout human lands and there are often festivals and the like that go with them. There are also a number of days sacred to specific gods/spirits that are observed by followers of particular faiths but nothing that is common throughout the entire empire.

May 4 is considered a (new) holiday as well to mark Alric's defeat of the 'last of the Fallen Lords' and the 'eternal triumph of the Light'.

Births are recorded by local officials on the Emperor's orders. So any peasant should know at least the week/time of the month they were born in even if they can not count the exact days.

That is correct, your group is certainly not typical for the setting. Adventurers make up only a small proportion of the population and mages are even rarer so it is not that surprising that the majority of your people are literate while most in the setting are not.

The Empire makes use of rather impressive and accurate solar and lunar calendars so anyone with the necessary training and resources should be able to track the days quite accurately.

Sure, you know the dates of many of the characters (I got a little clever/lazy when I was fleshing out their biographies as you can probably see):

Tyrvard was born on January 7th if you were wondering he was in his early thirties when he died.
    Gareth was born January 9th.
    Meletē was born on January 12th.
    Derryth was born January 15 as was Thaïs.
    Serpent was born January 16 and so was Lyssa.

Clearly it must be fate or destiny that brought so many people with such similar birth days together... almost like there was another process at work there...

Brigit was born March 23rd.
    Biliku was born December 5th.
    Uttu was born February 7th.

Ithapi and Amena do not know and Eris did not let them celebrate birthdays anyway so the entire idea would be foreign to them.

Christine has not told you her birthday.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, wouldn't it be awesome if the updates came with a date? You know, like the missions in the original games. "Monday August 25, Near Willow Creek". Would give the CYOA that extra Myth-y feel.

Well, as long as our characters know what day it is, anyway.

Not only it would be good for consistency purposes, but it might also alleviate many of the questions about the timeframe, like when is the next window for Melete's ritual, or when is our reunion due, or when does the Seekers' contract expire. I think it might be worth it.

Do dwarves have holidays of note?

Whoa. For real? We need to be done with the enemies of the kingdom in two month, then, it would not do to lead armies in battle when you are hungover for two weeks straight. :lol:

"The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passing. So sayeth the wise Alaundo." :P :salute:

This will not stand. :outrage:

We will introduce the date when they were freed as their new birthday. Uh... when was it, late June, early July? Make it July the 4th, then!

Hmm... I wonder how Nine would go about this. :lol: Having several birthdays is tempting, but do you really want to celebrate your 2567th year? Guess she might choose to become a 'newborn' as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Okay, I'll take you up on that offer.

I feel that the next question becomes more and more relevant with every new chapter. With our ever-growing team we need a proper way to establish some criteria to filter the newcomers.

So, without further ado... where are our characters located on the hotness scale? Where all of the characters are on the hotness scale?

Naturally, 'hotness' is relative, especially when different species are involved, so we need some universal system of measurment. I heard Morpheus is the most non-discriminating being we know of, what's with him knoking the Spider Goddess up.

Therefore, I want to know the relative hotness (measured as per Morpheus' Universal Beauty and/or Handsomeness Scale) of the following (sorted by allegiance):
    - Members of the Circle of the Lost, active and provisional - Derryth, Thaïs, Lyssa, Biliku, Uttu, Tyrvard, Gareth, Brigit, Amena, Ithapi, Serpent, Christine, Kara, Meletē and Caoilainn
    - Associates of the Lost - Bari, Astrid, Ori, Ceannard, Nephila (for Ceannard's sake if she ever accepts his invitation), Argus, Berty, Mayer, Neel, Kaf, Skite and Myora
    - Kids of the Lost - our future hopes, Maya, Anansi, Iktomi, Areop-Enap, Holda, Saule and the rest
    - Pets of the Lost - can't forget our animal allies, Jatayu, Ocypete, Aquila, Calaeno, Mirra, Poppy and Martin
    - Renowned figures - Alric (we probably saw him on a portrait at least once), his wife (if we've seen her anywhere), Albrecht, Eleanor, Nanshe, The Thin White Mage, Nine, The Faceless, The Watcher, The Deceiver, Mazzarin, The Spider Goddess (if we have ever seen her depictions by the cultists), Morpheus (and his two brothers if Lyssa knows how they look) and maybe some Druid or fir'Bolg or Berserk figureheads if we have ever heard of them.

What? You'll never know who ends up in our harem!

^ Top  
  9. zerozero Literate

zerozero
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Meh. I'm for A as well. :troll:

^ Top  
  11. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    E - Find Janine and present the letter from Albrecht to get her and any one else present to help us break into the lab under authority of the crown. Say we tried asking Jan but he ran away during an interview.

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Not sure I like any of our options too much.

Pursuing Jan is dangerous, especially if he becomes aware of the pursuit and tries to lose us in some danger zone, counting on us backing off (poor deluded soul).

Sending Thais after Janine risks them being unable to catch up and gives away our safety net, not to mention it halves our efficiency as a mage for time being.

Breaking in risks alienating Jan in case he isn't guilty. If the information necessary to crack the case is not in his lab, we risk botching the investigation.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I might consider it but the update are not really coming in the form of journal entries anyway so I don't know how well they will fit.

They certainly have holidays but not really anything Derryth would know about as an outsider.

:hmmm:

Yeah sure, why the hell not.

Show Spoiler
    Not like it changes too much as 'prettiness'/'handsomeness' are not stats and are only loosely bound to CHA. You can be plain or outright ugly and still very charismatic or you can be outright gorgeous and struggle with getting people to do what you want.

Yes that is true. As a dream demon completely focused on mortals/other species Morpheus is equally interested in damn near anyone that is sufficiently pretty/handsome and/or interesting by whatever standards apply to their race. So it should be possible to put everyone on one big list as he sees them.

:negative:

Alright, sure...

Here is how Morpheus sees them (if you want an idea of how a human would see most of the non-humans then just cut their number by half [for dwarves/fir'Bolg] to two thirds [mauls, ghôls and the like]):

Morpheus' Universal Scale of Hawtness:

M - main storyline
    S/C - someone that has only appeared in Serpent/Christine Interludes
    G/B - someone that has only appeared in Gareth/Brigit Interludes
    A/I - someone that has only appeared in Amena/Ithapi Interludes
    N - someone that has only appeared in Nanshe Interludes
    POR - Person of Renown

Elevens:
    -Morpheus - Prince of the Dreaming - M, PoR: Regional
    -The Head Druid - Head Druid - S/C, PoR: Regional

Tens:
    -Tyrvard (deceased) - Northman Berserk Veteran - M
    -Ithapi - Maul Apprentice - M
    -Nine - Amalgamated Archmage Tutor - M
    -Uttu (in eight years) - Thaïs' bodyguard - M
    - The Spider Goddess - Vindictive Deity - M, PoR: Regional
    -King Albrecht VII- Dwarven King - M, POR: Global
    -Otto - Mercenary Officer (Black Arrows) - M
    -The Thin White Mage - Apathetic Horror - M, PoR: Regional
    -Berty Levy - Biliku and Uttu's instructor - M
    -Martin IV - Knight Errant of the Ratguard - M, PoR: Local
    -Truan - Dunnish Berserk Hero - S/C, PoR: Regional
    -Three-Fingers - Veteran Bard - G/B
    -Reinhard - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Global
    -Phobetor - Demon Prince - PoR: Regional
    -Phantasos - Demon Prince - PoR: Regional

Nines:
    -Derryth - Hero of the Kingdom - M, PoR: Regional
    -Thaïs - Hero of the Kingdom - M, PoR: Regional
    -Biliku (in six years) - Derryth's Bodyguard - M
    -Casgair (deceased) - Red Leader - M
    -Ceannard - Mercenary Captain (Black Arrows) - M, PoR: Local
    -Mazzarin - The Great Mage - M, PoR: Global
    -Colin (deceased) - Brannon Cavalry Officer - M
    -Jatayu - Trained Eagle - M
    -Queen Elanor - Dwarven Queen - M, PoR: Global
    -Nanshe - Ghôlish Empress - M, PoR: Regional
    -Kaf - Mercenary Officer (Blackrock) - M
    -Mirra - Spellcasting Mouse - M
    -Nephila - Freed Spider Demon - M
    -Welf - Dwarven Lord - M, PoR: Regional
    -Bran - Northman Berserk Captain - S/C
    -Angtyr - Northman Berserk Captain - S/C
    -Maya (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
    -Anansi (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
    -Galena - Mage Champion - PoR: Regional
    -Treva - Mage Champion - PoR: Regional

Eights:
    -Brigit - Arcane Archer - M
    -Gareth - Mercenary Captain (The Lost) - M
    -Ian - Retired Adventurer - M
    -Amena - Derryth's Apprentice - M
    -Ari (deceased) - Veteran Pathfinder Agent - M
    -Neith (deceased) - Silver Leader - M
    -Argus - King's Champion - M, PoR
    -Lyssa - Reluctant Necromancer - M
    -Astrid - Pathfinder Tinkerer - M
    -Stori (deceased) - Pathfinder Agent - M
    -Myora - Mercenary Captain (Blackrock) - M
    -Ocypete - Trained Eagle - M
    -Damh - Brannon Lord - M, PoR: Regional
    -Neel - Veteran Tracker (Blackrock) - M
    -Poppy - Spellcasting Mouse - M
    -Skite - Mercenary Captain (Blackrock) - M
    -Irkalla - Ghôlish Chieftan - N, PoR: Regional
    -Leo - Mercenary Captain (The Venators) - S/C
    -Kára - Dunnish Berserk Queen - S/C, PoR: Regional
    -Naram - Veteran Warrior (The Lost) - G/B
    -Thayer - Paymaster (The Lost) - G/B
    -Emperor Alric - Cath Bruig Emperor - PoR: Global
    -The Watcher - Mad Goat of the Fens - PoR: Global
    -Timo - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Global
    -Friedelinde - Master of the Chariots - PoR: Regional
    -Lilli (deceased) - Dwarven Princess - PoR: Regional
    -Seinsheim - Dwarven Lord - PoR: Regional
    - Ada the Dove - Mercenary Captain (The Blooded Doves) - PoR: Local
    -Ebba - Culist Leader - PoR: Local

Sevens:
    -Serpent - King in the North - M, PoR: Regional
    -Eris (deceased) - Fetch Priestess - M
    -Jori (deceased) - Dwarven Prince - M, PoR: Global
    -Christine - Queen in the North - M, PoR: Regional
    -Bari - Veteran Pathfinder Agent - M
    -Ori - Pathfinder Agent - M
    -Alvis (deceased) - Pathfinder Agent - M
    -Caoilainn/Faceless' Stolen Body - Wanderer - M
    -Calaeno - Trained Eagle - M
    -Aquila - Trained Eagle - M
    -Holda (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
    -Saule (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
    -Iktomi (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
    -Nammu - Ghôlish Chieftan - N, PoR: Regional
    -Enki - Ghôlish Hero - N, PoR: Regional
    -Cassandra - Captured Clerk - N
    -Wenzel - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Global
    -Reginar - Dwarven Lord - PoR: Regional
    -Asger - Cultist Champion - PoR: Regional
    -The Boar - Maul Champion - PoR: Regional
    -Letta - Mercenary Captain (The Ten Sovereigns) - PoR: Local

Sixes:
    -Madb - Mage Shopkeeper - M
    -Miosguinn (deceased) - Blue Agent - M
    -Isolde (deceased) - Blue Abomination - M
    -Mayer - Brilliant Banker - M, PoR: Local
    -Meletē - Unconscious Inventor - M
    -Eagle - Heron Guard - M
    -Hámundr - Guard Captain - M
    -Ida - Veteran Archer (The Lost) - G/B
    -Morna - Veteran Archer (The Lost) - G/B
    -Garner - Veteran Warrior (The Lost) - G/B
    -Brom - Veteran Warrior (The Lost) - G/B
    -Areop-Enap (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
    -Ninhursag - Ghôlish Chieftan - N, PoR: Regional
    -The Deceiver (presumed deceased) - The Source of Five Hundred Poisons - PoR: Global
    -Rosalind (deceased) - Dwarven Queen - PoR: Global
    -Bärbel - Dwarven Princess - PoR: Regional
    -Anja - Cultist Noble - PoR: Regional
    -Alfhild - Dwarven Champion - PoR: Regional

Fives:
    -Abharsair (deceased) - Blue Leader - M
    -Trakk - Veteran Grenadier - M
    -Jenine - Dwarven Enchanter - M
    -Hesse - Dwarven Lord - M, PoR: Regional
    -Jan - Dwarven Prince - M, PoR: Global
    -Dagmar (deceased) - Dwarven Princess - PoR: Regional
    -Heiner (deceased) - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Regional
    -Berg - Dwarven Lord - PoR: Regional

Fours:
    -Breamas (deceased) - Red Captain - M
    -Birgir - Cultist Noble - PoR: Regional
    -The Cock - Mercenary Captain (The Mighty Cocks) - PoR: Local
    -Hallr - Cultist Professor - PoR: Local

Threes:
    -The 'Artisan' - Human Champion - PoR: Regional
    -'Ta Blue Bastard - Mercenary Captain ('Ta Blue Bastards) - PoR: Local
    -The Old Man in the Mountain - Mercenary Captain (The Seekers) - PoR: Local

There that is almost the whole cast so far.

Added.

Current Tally:
    Show Spoiler
    Nevill: Dii
    Baltika9: Dx
    Grimgravy: A
    asxetos: Di
    Jester: Dii
    Kz3r0: Dii
    zerozero: A
    Azira: A
    archaen: E

Dii: 3 votes
    A: 3 votes
    Di: 1 vote
    D unspecified: 1 vote
    E: 1 vote

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Huh. That's unexpected.

Show Spoiler
    I am pleased to see that Christine is way below our score and is the fugliest in our group so far. Small victories. :smug:

Who knew Morpheus has a thing for the undead? He truly is the most non-discriminative being and an example to us all. :salute: :lol:

How come the ladies never commented on the TWM's hawtness, though? His score of ten is according to human beauty standarts, right?

I am surprised anyone finds the Watcher attractive.

[​IMG]
    If that's a six for humans, I don't want to know what 3 looks like. :lol:

It is also good to see that there are no cultists (except maybe Ebba) higher than 7. The world will lose nothing of value if those were to die. :salute:

^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Show Spoiler
    Because every time they meet him he is trying to abduct/kill them? That tends to negatively impact their opinions of the guy.

What can I say, dude was well perserved:

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

He has a heart of gold though. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Basically, the only idea that comes to mind is to make an improvised 'trail of crumbs' out of our items.

The only pieces of equipment we have in large quantities that are also disposable are arrows. We have about 72 of them on Uttu and 60 on Thais.

We can scatter them so that you can see the next one from where we left the previous. We can even point the arrows in the direction we are heading so that the pursuers would know where to look. An additional benefit comes from the fact that Uttu's quiver adds magical properties to arrows. You can probably feel how long it was since she passed there by touching the arrow (is it safe, BTW?) and feeling the temperature.

Fangshi, can this method be added to D? The arrows don't cost all that much, I think (1 WPs for 2 quivers or so if I remember it right).

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I would recommend against picking them up or directly touching them but they can work as a means to tell how much time has passed in a rough sense.

If those currently voting D agree then yes, otherwise it will need to be a separate option.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    How long does it take for the Spinner to spin its web? How fast does it work? Did Brothers Dietfried demonstrate us the workings of the artefact when we bought it? Surely we didn't just take their word for it? ;)

Can we make a wooded Ariadne's thread by feeding it the arrows?

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Depends on what you try to feed it, some things take longer to break down than others.

Sure but you won't be able to sprint after Jan while also weaving the thread. It won't spin that fast.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Alright, let me take a look who voted for it...

Baltika9, asxetos, Jester, Kz3r0 - do we use our arrows to make it easier for Thais and Janine to find us?

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  22. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Hmmmm, if we will be able to locate Jan afterwards then sure.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, the goal is to pursuit Jan and leave Thais/Janine a way to locate us.

Jan might still get away, but this does not depend on this particular detail.

^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Let's use arrows, but chalk or something like that wouldn't be more practical?

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Do we have it, though?

I just used what I saw on the character sheet.

Hm, I wonder if they had lipstick in the middle ages. :lol:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.