Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That excuse is what I was referring to, since it wasn't clear what you intended it to be.
    I guess if Jan agrees to cooperate, we can use the excuse that we're casting a protection spell on him.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    There is a whole effing wall of text dedicated to that very excuse on the top of the page. :D

And the best part is that we can plant the idea in Jan's mind. "Look, he is obviously afraid to come out and get killed without accomplishing anything." Oh, right, they can do that. "Jan, would it be acceptable to you if we provide you a way to guarantee your safety during the exchange?"

Thais can probably guide both sides where we need them to be. The hostage situation calls for a negotiator, and that's who she is.

That the negotiator and the hostage are the same person is an interesting twist, though. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    If Thais cannot pull this off with 9 CHA then she deserves to die. Sounds good to me.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    With 9 CHA and a bonus on top! :powergamer:
    I guess our situation qualifies. :salute:

Please let this work.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Let's rock then. I vote for the amusing plan Nevill has put forth. If it results in a total party wipe, then at least it has been fun. :salute:

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Fangshi, if we die, can we choose to continue with another character?

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    As Gareth junior, I suppose?

^ Top  
  8. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Depends on if there is interest to continue or not but I am not opposed to the idea in some cases. I would probably limit it to characters you already know a lot about though: Gareth, Brigit, maybe Serpent (though he is a King now and I hesitate to give you that much authority 'unearned'), that sort of thing.

Alternatively you could create a completely new character though I would likely jump ahead at least a few years to shake things up a bit.

Or we could go with something completely different, there are other settings/ideas I know I will never get a chance to use on a real group that I would not mind trying to adapt to a CYOA. For example I have a book here where you play not as a hero/villain but as the magic item that they use to achieve greatness (so a talking sword or a ring that subtly influences them or a singing teacup for example). You would have to influence your wearer/owner to achieve your own agenda whether that is freedom, revenge, power or something else. Alternatively there was that setting about demonically possessed superheroes I mentioned months back (Better Angels) or the setting that takes the Thirty Years War and relocates it to a Dante inspired version of hell (Hell Dorado).

Plenty of options really provided there is interest.

At any rate we can discuss what you want to do if you die after you actually die. As long as Derryth survives (even if the rest of the party wipes) it is all largely academic.

If they do have a child and if it is a girl then you know they will either name it after one of their mothers/grandmothers or after Derryth (she is the reason they got together). You could pick up where you left off with a brand new Derryth sixteen or twenty years later. :lol:

I will give the voting/discuss another thirty hours or so and then close it up.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Grimgravy: C
    Nevill: D
    Baltika9: x
    Azira: D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nah, I'm abstaining for now since I want to retain blaming rights.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    But will she be as hot as the original?

And will she be a lesbian? It is kind of important! :oops:

Unless Serpent and Christie will have their Thais.

You have to vote for something, though, otherwise we will blame it on your indifference.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or we could play as one of his children in the Royal Court of the Pimp In The North. That would be fun.

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Noted. I will update the count.

Probably not. I already gave you a pretty princess (two in fact considering that they are now 'co-protagonists'). If you break them I see no reason to give you replacements. :smug:

Well it is not like your current Derryth is a lesbian either. :lol:

Provided their kingdom survives that long. Can't get into details though, something for the future perhaps. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It had better survive. Looking forward to surviving the machinations of our father's concubines and rising to become the greatest Pimp in the North. With a cool title like 'The Kraken' or something.

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    They weren't actual princesses. They don't count.

Uh-huh. That's what she is telling herself.

Just looks at our circle - 90% are females. Hot females. How does she explain that?

But what if it's going to be a girl?

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nothing changes.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    But The Kraken is an inappropriate name for a girl. We need something more feminine. Kráka, maybe? :smug:

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The Kraken is a title and who says it's not appropriate for a girl?

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Sooo... any other takers? Come on, guys, talk to me! If there is something that needs adjusting, it might be better to find out about it now.

Wait, what? In a month and a half that we have Caoilainn with us we have not moved from Thais farther than 12 meters even once? Or how far is it?

What sorcery is this?

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Love.

^ Top  
  20. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012

^ Top  
  21. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    D i guess, would go c if there was hope of him not bluffing.

^ Top  
  22. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    D
    Supporting Nevill's plan for lack of a better alternative, as reserve, just in case, I propose:

E

Menace not-Rand to kill them all if they touch Thais and ready greater energy bolt using it to hide to hide the casting of the Warrrior Mask on Thais.

F

Propose not-Rand to collaborate with him to retrieve the spearhead if he releases Thais, this is a real proposal not a feint, to avoid Jan hearing you communicate the plan to Thais through the bracelets and let her negotiate with her captors.

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It was more than twelve metres, though you are not sure at the moment exactly how far it was. The bracelets only work as a reliable homing/communication device when the two of you are within twelve metres of each other (at the moment the ladies are about ten metres apart) after that Caoilainn has trouble acting with any sort of consistency. This would suggest that the limitation is on her and not the bracelets, it is likely that Faceless enjoyed a much larger 'zone of control' and that her ability to use the bracelets is tied to her skill as a mage or her understanding of how the bracelets function. When Caoilainn 'snapped' you exceeded the maximum range she could even attempt to cover, effectively splitting her into two separate but related instances (at least that is Derryth's current working theory, she has not had time to really delve into it though considering the situation).

As for the other question, as far as the updates go you have barely separated at all in the last month, let alone gone far enough apart to split Caoilainn. Outside of the updates you have certainly been more than twelve metres apart at least a few times but this is the first time that you have exceeded Caolainn's maximum range.

I will add them to the list.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Grimgravy: C
    Nevill: D
    Baltika9: G
    Azira: D
    Jester: D
    Kz3r0: D>E>F

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    G: PRAY to Mazzarin for help.

^ Top  
  25. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Added. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.