Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    I agree that it's trapped and that it would cost us goodwill with Jan. But I feel obligated to point out that Derryth is a professional trapmaster.

Seriously, looting abandoned tombs/temples/etc. with traps all over them is her specialty.

EDIT: Yeah, fuck it. Voting 1ADFG. Jan will have to enjoy the cultist gear and coin while we loot the place. Thais will have to win him over some more. It's too late to worry about pissing off the spider goddess and her cultists anyway. Derryth will just have to be careful about triggering traps, but she's a pro at this.

2C May as well meet Letta's crew right now.

3A We still want those cloaks. Also, we should have them de-petrify our gear.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Any way to unpetrify our stuff? The girls magical gear is a tough loss. Must look into that.

1) ADE
    2)E
    3)C. Jan isn't a cultist. So if he'll do it for us, let him.

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They probably could if you gave them a few weeks. There are risks though in trying to learn and cast a spell that way. If you accidentally introduce any errors into the translation then the spell might fizzle or it might do something unexpected.

Your other option is not much better, the girls could translate them but they know nothing about magical theory so there is the chance that they would introduce errors into the mechanical end of things (as opposed to the linguistic errors the ladies might make).

Your best option is to get a mage that knows the language to translate them for you but you only know two people that fit that description, Christine and Nephila.

Yes, for the moment they are little more than junk. They were not the only items that were turned to stone but they were the only ones that were 'of note' (the rest you can simply replace).

You don't know if they can be dispelled.

Jan does not know of anyone at the Academy that could undo the spells though you could leave them with him and let him try to fix them or try find someone else at the Academy that can fix them. If you hold on to them you might encounter an elementalist at some point that would fix them though I give no guarantees unless you specifically go looking for someone.

It might be difficult to find exact replacements though you could likely source magical shields and quivers of some sort through the Brothers Dietfried.

You do not know how much it would cost to fix them or what alternative items are available so you do not know if it would be cheaper to try or simply get something else.

Yeah, the Academy likes to handle its own security without teams of armed guards marching about so they waited outside (it seemed easier than having the different branches of the government get into a pissing match). They are currently garrisoned in the tavern across the street from the Academy, there are twenty of them though they are not in uniform. Seventeen of the twenty are Royal Guards while three of them are Pathfinder officers pretending to be Royal Guards.

Right, the spinner.

Well like he said he recognizes its design from a temple he has been to south of Stoneheim. It's purpose is obvious, feed it with a substance and it will attempt to weave thread from that substance. Through manipulation of the spinner's components the operator can alter the thickness and properties of the thread. A skilled operator might even be able to slip enchantments into the thread as it is formed instead of waiting for an item to be woven first then enchanting it later.

He has no direct experience using anything like the spinner and he is not aware of anyone else who has either.

He does not believe that the spinner is an artefact of the Goddess however.

He has not told this to anyone yet but his research suggests that in the early days of the dwarven people there were a number of competing spider based faiths, not just those dedicated to the Spider Goddess. Most of them quickly lost power and faded over time, becoming minor heresies, then memories and finally mere myths. One of these minor faiths has managed to survive surprisingly well though. He does not know much about them but they are said to worship, 'She Who Waits' and they seem to be openly hostile to the followers of the Spider Goddess.

Your spinner bears a striking resemblance to an idol he encountered within the treasury of a cultist temple south of Stoneheim. An idol he believes originally belonged to that minor sect. He recovered the idol and brought it back to Myrgard fourteen years ago but it disappeared within three weeks of reaching the city. He has not seen it since.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    She would be the one Morpheus is protecting, I take it. We might want to get in contact with her. She should be able to give us useful pointers on detecting followers of the spider goddess.

Also, guys, we're looking at a ton of loot here and we do have huge debts to pay.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1 D,A
    2 C
    3 C Jan will do it.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A part of being a professional is knowing when enough is enough. And right now, risking more adventures with an exhausted party and depleted supplies is kinda dumb. Besides, don't want to spoil our relationship with Jan over these trinkets. Even if he is a coward, he will have his uses (and won't keep us away from important clues and relics in the future because we will steal them).

AD- we have the resources to decipher the books and more weapons never hurt. The girls need some replacements anyway.
    C>E>F
    D
    (make the little explosion-happy dwarf head researcher)>Nevill's C

Also, I vote to kiss Thais when no one is looking (shyly with lots and lots of blushing involved)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yes, if we want to make use of Jan, he is worth more to us than his weight in gold. He is the only sane researcher in the Academy that we can trust. Try anyone else, and you will either find insane experimentators, or cultists (and I do not want our Batman cape malfunctioning mid-flight). I expect to have him as our go-to dwarf if we need anything from the Academy, and we use its services quite often.

Besides, attempting anything risky without another pair of healing spells is just greedy. And a professional is never greedy.

I support this and I would not shy away from it after a near-death experience. Besides - Derryth, shy? :lol:

Our whole team needs a big hug, but I expect that nearly losing our soulmate would especially facilitate our resolve to finally make our feelings known to Thais. We might not be alive tomorrow.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We probably won't be.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    All the more reason to go for it. :salute:

^ Top  
  10. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Guys, please, the first priority here is shopping, everything else is asking for trouble, and don't waste your time with useless rocks, let's buy other gear and be done with it.

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    1ADE
    2F>C

3C, Jan as head researcher, he knows of the item and its properties, he ought to be capable of producing what we want without breaking the spinner.

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I hear you and agree in principle. We need to make a shopping tour, and our girls deserved it, too.

Still, if we are spending a night in the Palace, we will have access to the King's armory today, which would cover our immediate shortcomings. There are 20 guards outside of the building, too - they can lend us a bit of their equipment as well if we need it. Finally, there are armed guards in the Academy which suggests to me that it has an armory of its own as well.

We have options.

It looks bad, but in fact we didn't lose much. What we need is a shield (and Biliku still has her old one), two sets of light armor, and a lot of arrows for our basic needs.

I want to visit the shop first thing in the morning tomorrow, or even this evening, but for now I want to tend to time-sensitive issues. Don't worry, I do not intend to go to war naked.

As for 'useless rocks' - those are not useless rocks, those are petrified artefacts that had proven their usefulness. I don't intend to waste my time on them, but we can leave them with Jan and see if he can do anything with them while we are gone. If not, then, oh well, at least we tried.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Alright. So, Fangshi, is anyone on our team still hurt, or did we manage to treat everyone's injuries successfully?

I am asking because we still have Hallr (and if we really need to, Jan) to use as batteries for our healing spells. How safe is it to do, by the way?

What is happening with our dearest cultist Professor, by the way? Has he regained consciousness?

I want Jan to try and identify the assailants. Are they from the Academy? Any faces familiar to him?

I want to know how did not-Rand enter and what did he tell the guards. They do not admit just anyone to these levels. Who allowed them through and on what basis?

See if there is anything common to the fallen mages. Do they belong to the same terrorist cultist cell? Can we order a search on their apartments to see who else might belong to the same cell? I am feeling a bit commissar-y today. I believe the attempt at regicide would warrant such an action. Should I add it as a freeform option?

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    As a matter of fact, rocks can be very dangerous weapons. Have Berty Levy teach them how to properly apply rocks in warfare, and these artifacts will be worth more to us in their petrified form. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    No one currently has an injury that would impact their combat abilities or your stats. You are mostly just sore and tired though you all have a variety of minor cuts, bruises and the like. (As an example, if your characters were units in one of the Myth games their health bar would still be green, just not full.)

Jan is not going to just let you drain him like that, particularly since there are no current threats to your collective safety.

Hallr would try to resist you if you attempted to drain him so the procedure would be unpredictable and quite dangerous. If he managed to break free while you were in the middle of the spell then you would have to cover the remaining physical and mental cost of the spell yourself and that would drain you completely. (Note: If you try to force another mage to fuel your spells they can try to break free. If they do so you will have to take on the remaining strain of the spell and pay the physical and mental price associated with it. If you can not cover that cost with your remaining reserves then you will begin to 'cast from hitpoints' and can do permanent damage or even kill yourself. You can (and often will) attempt to break off the spell in such cases but that is not always an easy or simple thing to achieve depending on the spell used.)

Still out cold, Biliku really cranked him and he is a scholar not a fighter. He has a glass jaw, among other things. :lol:

You could try dragging him over to the underground pool and dunking him in the water, that might wake him, or something else, up...

Alright, he can not identify any of the dwarves that you hit with the greater energy bolts as there just is not that much left of them to identify (that is also the reason you did not get ten spellbooks or any of their kit, you totaled everything except 'not-Rand's' plates). Of the five intact dwarves two of them are beyond recognition. The first because you and Thaïs dissolved the front of his head and most of his right side with a firebolt/energy bolt combo (the two spells hit is succession, if they had hit together there would be nothing left of the dwarf). The second because Biliku managed to decapitate him and you are having trouble finding the head.

You set the girls to locating the head while Jan turns to the remaining three dwarves. He gives them and the remains of the other two dwarves a quick once over and here is what he can tell you.

They definitely worked at the Academy though he does not recognize any of them personally. He knows they worked there because each is still carrying their identification papers (needed to move between the various buildings and checkpoints in the institution). Four of the five were junior researchers working on floors nine or ten. All work directly under Hallr. Jan is fairly certain that this is no coincidence

The fifth corpse, the one with the missing head, has a name Jan recognizes. He worked as a project lead in the experimental weapons division, the people responsible for developing arms for and arming the Kingdom's army, the Royal Guards and the Pathfinders (though the researchers at the Academy would not know that their arms are going to the Pathfinders naturally). This is understandably distressing as it means there may be a greater web of cultists within the institution outside of Hallr's staff. He will inform his father of this and a team will likely be dispatched to search the quarters of the deceased and to investigate the weapons division.

Sure you can ask the guards on the way up. They tell you that he entered with a number of Hallr's research assistants. He was logged as a Dr. Miosguinn, come down from the north to help study a recently uncovered artefact. Janine had also informed them when she past that a group of Hallr's assistants would be coming to join her on the ninth floor to work on a project for the good Doctor.

Thaïs and Caoilainn can verify that this is true though they can not confirm the exact details. When they past through the checkpoint, Janine pulled the guard captain aside. At the time they thought Janine was convincing the guards to let Thaïs enter but it is entirely possible that she was notifying them of the second group (and providing 'not-Rand' with his 'in') as well.

Since Janine had clearance and the apprentices had their papers the guards let the cultists pass with 'not-Rand'. They simply recorded his information and let him walk right in.

Academy security, the city guard and the Pathfinders are all likely to pursue their investigations into this incident on their own so a freeform choice is not really needed to have the dead cultists' things checked and their friends/co-workers investigated.

What would require a vote is if you want to do it yourself since it would take the place of the other question 2 choices. I can add it as an option if you would like?

Sure I can add that. I will list it as question 4:

4. Do you leave your petrified equipment with Jan to see if he can fix it (or find someone else on staff at the Academy that can fix it)?

A) You leave the equipment with Jan at the Academy. Perhaps they can figure something out.

B) You take the equipment with you. Perhaps you will figure out a way to fix it yourself or encounter someone in your travels who can.

Also Re: question 3:

Added the Jan version as C and the LITTLE DWARF version as D.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    asxetos:
    1.A,D,E
    2.E>F
    3.A
    4.B

archaen:
    1.A,D,E,F,G
    2.C>E
    3.A
    4.A

Nevill:
    1.A,D,E
    2.C
    3.C
    4.A

Kz3r0:
    1.A,D,E
    2.F
    3.B
    4.x

Absinthe:
    1.A,D,F,G
    2.C
    3.A
    4.A

Grimgravy:
    1.A,D,E
    2.E
    3.C
    4.x

Jester:
    1.A,D
    2.C
    3.C
    4.x

Baltika9:
    1.A,D
    2.C>E>F
    3.D>C
    4.A

Azira:
    1.A,D,E
    2.F>C
    3.C
    4.A

Cassidy:
    1.E,F,G
    2.F
    3.B
    4.B

A) 9/10 votes
    B)
    C)
    D) 9/10 votes
    E) 7/10 votes
    F) 3/10 votes
    G) 3/10 votes

A)
    B)
    C) 5 votes
    D)
    E) 2 votes
    F) 3 votes

A) 3 votes
    B) 2 votes
    C) 4 votes
    D) 1 vote

4. 3 undeclared
    A) 5 votes
    B) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A) 9/10 votes
    B)
    C)
    D) 9/10 votes
    E) 7/10 votes
    F) 3/10 votes
    G) 3/10 votes

A)
    B)
    C) 6 votes
    D)
    E) 1 vote
    F) 3 votes

A) 3 votes
    B) 2 votes
    C) 5 votes
    D)

4. 3 undeclared
    A) 5 votes
    B) 2 vote

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Their names (and probably occupations, too) should be in the guard's logbook. All of them.

Who were they and who did they work for?

I don't know, depends on how serious it is. For the moment, I am not inclined to waste our time on this provided they are not connected to the Eberhardts or the like.

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    He does not recognize their names but three of them were listed as research assistants to Hallr, and one of them was his apprentice but it is the last one is interesting.

He works in one of the administrative branches of the Academy, overseeing artefact and invention storage and transportation. It is dull work and few mages with any sort of ability choose to join that branch of the Academy. He might have been responsible for acquiring artefacts of interest for the Academy, finding or creating proper storage for artefacts that come into the Academy's possession and/or arranging for shipments to leave the Academy to smaller sites.

It is impossible to say if he was a lone agent or not in that department but it is another lead for investigators to follow at the very least.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    4A, we can always come back for it before we leave if we change our mind, right?

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Does using a mage as a battery require him to be conscious?

I want him drained and unable to cast because I want to interrogate him.

And yes, 4A as well.

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, as long as Jan is available for you to ask for them back then you can certainly do so.

Yes, magic is a function of will and intellect. Either by choice or by force the mage needs to be conscious to pull it in and direct it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Can we take a closer look at the plates and see how they function?

What do they look like? How heavy are they? How does one wield them?

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They seem to store magical energy in a similar fashion to your spell rings (only they can manage to hold spells of much greater potency). They seem to currently be keyed to only hold particular types of elemental magic (fire and water for the first, earth and lightning for the second). You would need to research how they are constructed to see if you can alter the types of spells they can store.

They do not seem built to hold multiple spells at the moment, again you would need to understand the exact enchantments behind them to know if they could be made to hold multiple spells.

So for the moment they are simply more limited versions of your rings, though they do seem to have more potential built into them.

They are black with silver trim and the etchings on them are also coated in silver. They fit easily into the palm of your hand, measuring about seven centimetres in diameter. They are not too heavy but you would not really want to be hit with one, you have no trouble lifting or carrying them in hands.

Jan tests them with a few minor water spells and this is what you discover. While the clone had them embedded in his flesh they seem to function perfectly well when simply in contact with the exposed skin of the user. They only seem to function when in direct contact with the user however, no gloves or anything for example. As for how they function they store a spell and release it on command just like your rings.

One interesting difference though is that the spells stored in the plates need not be instantaneous. As long as the plates are in contact with the user spells that have prolonged effects will function. This is likely how the clone managed to hit the two of you with lasting elemental spells without being a real caster.

That is about all you can discern about them with the limited resources at your disposal.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Can you please explain how it works? How do you store spells with prolonged effects? How long do the effects last?

You just cast the spell into the plates for a while and it replicates the action on command later?

Observe what kind of spells he has. Is water magic his 'specialty'?

Is there a limit to the potency of the spells our rings can store? I was not aware of that.

^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The plates seem to work like batteries in a torch/flashlight. You place the spell in the disk and then you pour in power to keep it running. When the spell is then cast it will draw on the power in the disk to keep working. This lets the user turn it off and on at will as long as the plate still has enough power to function, even if they are not a mage. They really are quite ingenious little devices and even Jan is impressed, he has never seen anything quite like it before.

He used a spell to create a small pool of water and another spell to create a little fog cloud and maintain it. That is it.

The two utility spells he used are not sufficient to determine if water magic is or is not his specialty. It would be like trying to figure out if Derryth is a fire elementalist based on her use of create fire and firebolt.

You ask him what his specialty is and he claims he does not have one. He says he is first and foremost a scholar and a researcher and he has picked up a variety of spells from many fields to help him in his work.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Can we pour our own power into the plates while the spell is already running to keep it going?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.