Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well the difference is that is Bii you let his mind give the details that will furnish his 'cell' for a lack of a better word, his mind might have trouble at first depending on how intelligent/wise he is but eventually he would come to accept it. It is also important to note that what he knows will alter what his mind constructs in such a way as to render the final dream he is stuck in as believable as possible. This can mean that in some cases the dream that is created will not be pleasurable for the dreamer, it will be completely believable though.

In Biii you would have Morpheus build Hallr's cell to your specifications. That means that there might be elements that he will notice as out of place since it will not be his mind alone that fills in the details. On the bright side you will have a far greater degree of control on the conditions he has to endure/exist under for all eternity.

So that is the difference between the two as I see them, I hope that clarifies things a little.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So, about this Wenzel business.

The remaining Sovereigns tell us Letta was captured three days ago. Do they know what he intends to do with her? Has he made demands? Does he want to ransom them for money?

What is their plan to deal with it?

What exactly happened there? Why only the five of them were taken? Did the rest manage to break through, or dide Wenzel just let them go (someone has to pay the ransom, I guess). How much was he asking Letta to pay, anyway?

Something else to think about is how are we going to do our investigation. If there is one person we do not need to be on good terms with, it's Wenzel, for a multitude of reasons, and our cooperation with the Arrows is not the least of them.

By the way, Fangshi, if Albrecht does not want to have much to do with him, how come Wenzel commands such influence? Why it would be 'in his within his station' to be aware of things such as Pathfinder's secret prison (so secret that only the family members and guards know about it)? Who would have told him and why?

Why is he not in jail if shaming his family is all he does?

Another question is what would be involved in attuning the Book of the Past to a person? Can such a thing be done inconspicuosly? Can being bound to a book be detected by an affected person?

I have half a mind to invite him to the Palace, talk Letta's situation over, have him sign the order to let her go, drink him into a stupor with a drug or otherwise render him unconscious, and attune the book to his body, then give the book for someone else to read. If anything, this will reveal his role in the events, and if he did anything to compromise the safety of the kingdom (and I bet he did so at one point or the other), we will finally have leverage with Albrecht to get rid of him in one way or the other. The Dreaming accepts everyone - and if he ever reforms and if we are feeling kind, we can even pull him back.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    And seeing how most people so far vote to stay in the Palace to rest and recuperate before visiting a local crime lord, I think I want to introduce yet another choice for tonight.

4. Write a document - or a will - requesting Mazzarin to destroy the Goddess, her kin and any of her followers of note (with the obvious exceptions of our girls, Christine and Nephila) if we ever die regardless of the reason. Then use Morpheus to contact the Spider Goddess for you and invite her for a chat in the Dreaming, warning her of what would happen should he choose to continue standing in our way.

I want to play it like this:

If Derryth or Thais die, regardless of the cause, she is fucked. She is a schemer, and though the easiest way for her to get rid of us is to send her assassins after us, there are many ways how she can indirectly lure us into a deadly trap. I want to nip such possibilities in the bud. If we die, she dies, no exceptions.
    If any of our friends die and we will have reason to suspect she is involved, she is fucked. We stand by our friends and protect them even when risking our lives. If we can't protect them, what do we need power for?
    If Albrecht's regime falls, undoing everything we've risked our lives for in the last three months, she will be undone with it. We don't want her puppet on the throne.
    Finally, if he annoys us just enough to consider waiving a favor from Mazzarin, we'll do it. Just because tolerating her might prove to be more costly in the long run.

That said, threats and warranties of mutual destruction is not the only reason I am doing it. Not-Rand said something about the Goddess being one of the protectors of the dwarven kingdom. Normally, we would have no need of such a protector, but with an assurance of her destruction backing us up if anything goes wrong for us, I think we might be able to concentrate on other threats. The Watcher or the ghols would be much harder to argue and bargain with, or threaten to.

If not-Rand meant even a half of what he said, I want to use this opportunity to get information that is otherwise unavailable to us. Yes, I know the Goddess is not a very trustworthy source, but I do not intend to treat it as gospel, and we kind of have mutual and more immediate enemies. I would think she would want to use us against them, and I am alright with that, since we will have to deal with them anyway. Though for different reasons, we both want the Dwarven Kingdom to be left standing in the aftermath of this war.

So I would like to know a lot of things that might 'help' us both out. What is happening in Stoneheim, if it is not of her doing? She must have contact with the cultists in there. What does she know about the necromancer and the child? Why are they so important? Now that the spearhead is out of her reach and is in our hands, will she tell us what she planned to do with it? Is the resurrected Eberhardt her puppet? What does she intend to do by rocking the boat when the kingdom is on the brink of extinction? What is currently happening with the army? Does she have control - full or partial - over it? She does not seem to want that necromancer out of her cage, and she does not appear to be an ally of the Watcher. Who does she think leaked the location of the Pathfinder's prison to him?

She has a lot of agents, and if we can use an unstable situation to dive into that network for information not even Albrecht's people can provide us, I think we might make use of such an opportunity. Intelligence and counter-intelligence are perfectly valid tools of the war.

Derryth and Thais should be the ones to do it. No need to involve Lyssa or the girls in that business.

I want the Dreaming to be our meeting place and Morpheus to serve as a neutral party. He is under a contract to protect us from any undesired effects while we are in his realm.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  4. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A
    Bv - Offer him a job. Explain the whole unpleasant truth about his goddess and the fate his faith has led him to (death or exile). If he doesn't go insane, we've got a better offer. We have a whole tower of things to research and children in THE EXACT SAME POSITION HE IS IN that could use a level headed mentor and teacher. For life after loss of this magnitude, he'll need a mission. He's got one at our tower with plenty of examples that there is life without the goddess.
    A

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    And what would be our guarantee that he accepts this mission sincerely, and will not offer the location of our tower to Alric, revealing our expedition to Muirthemne, and sentencing us to a life in prison or worse?

What exactly have we done for Hallr to warrant his loyalty?

This whole "let's give a job for spider demons and nice cultists" direction is slightly unnerving. We have enough trouble with Lyssa's case as it is, but at least she has a reason to stick to us.

^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Added.

Added.

He is holding the other five Sovereigns until they pay him the sum he is 'owed'. It is about 400WPs.

They have arranged with a couple servants at Wenzel's compound to slip in, free their comrades and slip back out again. If they encounter any resistance they will start killing people until the don't encounter any more resistance. It is a simple plan but they seem to like it.

Well to hear the Sovereigns tell it Wenzel took a bit of a liking to Letta. She refused his advances and then the harassment started, they began demanding money, Letta naturally refused and it came to a head three days ago when she was abducted.

Of the remaining five, four were not present, while the fifth, the maul, was sleeping off his hangover in the back of the company offices. Originally Wenzel's mercs tried to catch Letta by surprise but four of the Sovereigns realized what was going on and came to her aid. They were eventually overwhelmed and captured. It was at this point that the maul stumbled out and was informed that he had seven days to raise the needed funds or the other Sovereigns would be sold into slavery. The five mercenaries have spent the last two days trying to come up with the money but it became apparent that they would not be able to pay the ransom so they resolved to break in instead.

He is son of the King, the station he was born into provides him with a great deal of influence regardless of his actions or the content of his character. Albrecht also can not bring himself to fully disown his son. The 'boy' might be a gross disappointment to his father but he is still family and that means a lot to any dwarf.

Wenzel did not have his falling out with his father until last year, as such he is aware of most of the Pathfinder prisons and safe houses throughout the Kingdom. Wenzel's brothers also care for him deeply even if he is a pain so it is also possible that he learned more information from them. Finally, Wenzel keeps interesting company so it is entirely possible he has learnt about current affairs at the palace through his associates.

He is a royal prince. Having him jailed like a peasant would be even more embarrassing for House Albrecht than having him killed. You also get the impression that Albrecht would see such an action as a sign of weakness and he is still quite careful to appear strong in public even if he does have feet of clay.

He won't be able to sense it as he is not a mage. A mage would be able to sense it but only because it gives off a slight magical signal while it is working like any active artefact. However you do need to keep it in his hands for twenty minutes or so which would require getting him away from his associates and subordinates for a substantial amount of uninterrupted time.

If you can figure out some way to do that then it should be able to be done inconspicuously.

Keep in mind that when you use Retrieve Item to fling a living being into the void you wind up destroying their body (as they are possessed by assorted demons). So unless you open a direct portal to the Dreaming and throw someone in, it is always a one way trip for the target (unless you can provide their mind a new body to re-enter).

Alright, I will add it as a question which will come into effect when you return to the palace (assuming you do return to the palace some time 'tonight').

Added.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    The ladies combined are a pretty good judge of character. If they think he's sincere, that's good enough for me. If not, let him go and make his own choices. To me, Hallr seems like a good, upstanding dwarf whose parents indoctrinated him into an outlawed cult. A cult he believes is harmless. That's not true, and there should be plenty of evidence to that effect. We have innocents that share his faith and could use his support. He could use theirs. It's win win without sending him to eternal dream prison if he's amenable. He's free to choose death or exile if he's not.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No, I am sticking to portals from now on. Remind me to ask Morpheus how to make one.

Retreive Item is not exactly reliable, as the target has to pass through the Void, and can get captured in transit, rendering the whole idea meaningless.

The portal is what I intend to use to get the White Mage and Hallr into the Dreaming.

All of which he managed to ignore so far.

What do you intend to do about all the not-so-harmless cultists he can implicate, but won't, because of his belief?

They do not share his faith. One of the choices we made when the first chapter ended is that we offered the kids a new beginning. We have disallowed the worship of the Goddess while giving them better things to spend their time on. Since the kids look up to their elders, Amena and Ithapi in this case, they will be free from the indoctrination Hallr was subjected to.

Their positions are not the same, simple as that. They are free, and Hallr is not.

And 4A.

^ Top  
  9. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Hmm, a few possibilities I am curious about:

1) Can we go to Timo first?
    2) Can we recruit the Seekers now to have them with us for this mess?

^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    i just find it odd, that people are ok with helping a necromancer, a ghol, and demon, but draw the line at the nice guy whose birth to cultist parents doomed him. We've made helping the misfits of the world our thing. Throwing him into the dreaming for profit is just an ugly turn.

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You can certainly try if you wish. He might not be willing to see you without an appointment though. I can add it as an option if you would like.

You would need to go see them and talk to their leader but it is likely they will not help you with this unless you give them something as payment. Potentially fighting Wenzel is definitely outside their contract with the Army but I can add it without any difficulty.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    A necromancer and a demon were not directly acting against us at any given time.

A ghol did, and the choice of what to do with her provoked the most heated discussion to date. In the end, the option to spare her won out because there was a greater threat she could have helped us to take care of, and because the alternatives were pretty sadistic and fucked up. Throw the threat of the Watcher out of the picture, and Nanshe's fate could have been very different.

This nice cultist have recruited the very people that nearly killed us. And in contrast to Nanshe, his fate is not anyone's fault but his own.

I am not inclined to offer him a full pardon. I am sentencing him to a fate between lifetime imprisonment, far more comfortable than any earthly prison could offer, mind you, and a ward for mentally ill people that can't be released into the world. And I find this kind of fate pretty mild, all things considered.

Ask yourself, if Thais or any of the girls died, would we offer him a job as well? I don't believe so. But why is that affecting our judgement if he is not at least partially responsible for what happened?

Don't pull that card on me. He is guilty, regardless of whether he admits it or not.

And there is the matter of the lives of the regular guards that die daily in confrontations with the Eberhardt rebels supported by the cultists. The 'profit' you speak of is helping us root them out and stabilize the kingdom. What an ugly turn, right? Why are we more concerned with the life of a convict than with the lives of others, who are truly innocent by any definition you can think of?

I will give you that trying to help him is probably one of the more humane solutions. But there is more at stake than just his life, and I am not ready to put our trust in him blindly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Any reasons why not to try a gambit with the Goddess? I am awfully curious as to what she will have to say on the current situation.

Besides, we'll probably involve Mazzarin's favor anyway if she manages to get Thais or one of the girls killed. Why would we not let her learn that beforehand?

Anyway, bros, here is what I am thinking about Wenzel and Letta.

We are investigating Albrecht's children to discover which one (or ones) of them is the traitor, right? That's all we need from them.

So once we verify Wenzel's guilt or innocence regarding the attack on the prison, our business with him is done, as far as the investigation is concerned. Unlike Jan or Timo, I see no real further use for him.

Therefore I propose a choice:

1. D) You will have Albrecht summon Wenzel to the Palace first thing in the morning without giving him the reason. As his influence comes mostly from familial ties, you do not think Wenzel would be able to refuse such an invitation. You will meet up with him in Albrecht's stead and take it from there. You will bring up Letta's imprisonment with him and see firsthand what kind of man he is, what he knows, and what further actions are warranted, if any.

Why would I prefer to handle it that way:
    - I do not want to go into semi-hostile territory with demands I am not sure I can enforce and attempt diplomacy on someone who is used to impunity. The Palace is our turf and whatever we say there, goes. Albrecht gave us full authority to act as we see fit.
    - I want to separate him from his clique. It is unlikely that his cutthoats will be allowed on Palace grounds, and certainly they will not be allowed to the 'family meeting' he is supposed to have.
    - He is not a mage, and we can do the same thing we did with Hesse, when one of us fishes in his head for clues while the other maintains a conversation.
    - If push comes to shove, we can make him do practically anything, from signing an order to release Letta to admitting the treason if such a need arises. Because mentalists.
    - Without their leader to back them up, the Weasels would be unable to defy the will of King's guards and/or our orders. By isolating Wenzel from his gang, we gain a massive advantage should there be a need for negotiating Letta's freedom behind Wenzel's back. By intervening with the investigation by the Heroes of the Kingdom, they put themselves on one side with the Watcher's necromancers and Eberhardts. That's not a pretty place to be without any protection to count on.
    - If we are unable to examine his mind for some reason, we might come up with a way to attune him to the Book of the Past and finish our investigation that way.

All in all, I just want to put us in a better position in the upcoming negotiations.

^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Considering how much Derryth and Thais want to avoid being trapped in the dreaming, I can't in good conscience (and I don't think our ladies would either) vote to send anyone there that isn't a right bastard or thorn in our side. Hallr is neither. And for the record, I'd be voting this way if we'd lost someone.

your 1D has merit.

Flop me to 1D>A and put me down for 4B

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, then your understanding of our characters differs from mine.

I was ready for a trip to the Dreaming if the choice was to go there or die. The Dreaming can be escaped, provided that someone is willing to get you out. Death can not.

We want to avoid the Dreaming because there is a lot for us to do in the real world, and there are many people who depend on us. Albrecht, Bari, the kids, Trakk's family, Nine - they are all our responsibility. We have to stay alive and awake for them, among other things.

What does Hallr have to live for? He destroyed the students he should have been responsible for with his own hands.

Do I believe in atonement? Yes, I do. But the man has to desire atonement in the first place. Like Lyssa. Hallr does not even understand what he did wrong.

If you think our ladies to be good judges of character, then what would you say about this?
    You want to tell the man that you have killed his lover and his charges, and you want him to hold no grudge against you because you say it was them who were at fault, even though all his life he did not feel the cultists were doing anything reprehensible. Then you will send him to tend to the most vulnerable members of your circle in the tower that is your most heavily guarded secret, with his alternatives being exile or death. And you want to command his trust, loyalty and respect without doing anything for him but bringing him suffering.

How is that even supposed to work?

Meanwhile, you have ignored my question about the information he possesses. Is it alright to overlook it and potentially doom even more people by trying to be overly delicate with a 'good' cultist?

The Dreaming has a lot of potential. It can be a prison. It can be a mental clinic (and we used it to keep our wounded friends sane upon waking up). It can be a rehabilitation center. It can be a training ground. It can be a meeting place.

It is not something to be dismissed as a simple 'punishment'.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, I would like to ask the Captain (why is Hamundr not with us? Is he making visits to the families of the deceased?) what is our reputation with the guards. What does the military think about us? The brass? The soldiers? I find it a bit strange that our achievements at Fort Blackrock did not influence their disposition towards us for the better, though overall our relationships are still pretty good (we are just a bit short of being outright allies).

I am asking this because I want to know how willing would be the soldiers to listen to our orders, should we assume command over a military outpost or a platoon (and we have the authority to do so, since our word is now essentially the King's word).

I would also like to know how difficult it would be to commission some air balloons and/or mortars for our cause. Normally it would require the decision by the Assembly of Lords, but now that the Great Lords are mostly elsewhere, does the King need these formalities, or can he make these decisions by himself?

If we are going to Wenzel's compound tomorrow, I want to know how feasible it would be for us to bring an airship or two with us and maybe a siege engine with a hundred or so of actual soldiers (Myrgard has about 1000 of them if I remember). Nothing says a bonus to diplomacy checks like a threat of an orbital bombardment and a fucking ballista parked outside of your compound.

If it is possible, it would be pretty hilarious. Do we have good enough reputation with the military to pull it off as a favor to us, though?

I do not intend to actually fight in the city, but if we don't come out of the compound in two hours or so, or if our negotiations will come to a halt, I think a little demonstration of power would be in order. That is the only language the likes of Wenzel understand. He thinks he has the station and that grants him power, but he can't be more wrong. Station and titles mean little to us.

^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You have a new Captain because you do not need a chariot commander in the middle of the city, simple as that. So you have been given an infantry captain instead. His name Gunnarr if you are curious.

You do not know what Hámundr is up to though he is likely back in the city by now (he would have had to drive back with the remaining chariots and the carriage). You have not seen him since you left the fort.

Gunnarr says the military officers he knows all respect your ability to get the job done.

The soldiers are not in the habit of confessing their thoughts to their officers. If you want to ask one of them you will need to get them alone and ask directly. Even then do not expect them to be terribly truthful one way or the other. As you noted you have the ability to command them which means they are just as likely to tell you what they think you want to hear as anything else.

As you say, you have the right to take command should you wish. As a result they will follow. Whether they want to or not is of less importance. These are not mercenaries that you have to win over (and that are used to having a fair degree of freedom to do what they want), they are soldiers and they will do their jobs with the utmost professionalism (for the most part) until they cease to draw breath.

Now you can speculate that they might be a bit hesitant to serve under you. If for no other reason than that you tend to get stuck in where the fighting and the odds are the worst. You always seem to make it out alive but that does not mean they will...

Extremely difficult so long as the Grand Assembly still sits and the laws of the Kingdom remain in place. You can not use the army to threaten dwarven citizens and expect the lords to not do anything.

Most of the leaders of the Great Houses might be out of town but their subordinates are still sitting in the Assembly. Sessions are still being held and the rule of law is still in effect, the King can not simply do whatever he wants unless he is willing to suspend the Assembly which would not help his cause when 'Eberhardt'/Eberhardt is running around proclaiming him a tyrant.

You do not have a high enough reputation with the Army to make them break the law like that.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    asxetos:
    1.A
    2.A
    3.A
    4.x

Kz3r0:
    1.Bi
    2.Biii
    3.B
    4.B

Nevill:
    1.D
    2.Biii
    3.B
    4.A

Jester:
    1.A
    2.Biv
    3.A
    4.x

archaen:
    1.D>A
    2.Biii
    3.A
    4.x

Grimgravy:
    1.D>A
    2.Bv
    3.A
    4.B

Absinthe:
    1.D
    2.x
    3.x
    4.x

A) 2 votes
    B)
    i.
    ii. 1 vote
    C)
    D) 4 votes

2. 1 abstain
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii. 3 votes
    iv. 1 vote
    v. 1 vote

3. 1 abstain
    A) 4 votes
    B) 2 votes

4. 3 undeclared, 1 abstain
    A) 1 vote
    B) 2 votes

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Are the Weasels considered dwarven citizens, though? From what we hear, they are mercenaries comprised mostly from outlaws and various scum, and they are involved in illegal activities. Can it not be passed as a police raid, rather than a violation of the law?

Do we know what kind of transgressions would be enough to make Albrecht stop overlooking his son's actions? This kind of cronyism ticks me off. Do people really consider putting Wenzel in jail a sign of weakness? From my point of view, it is having him on the loose that proves that Albrecht's rule is weak.

By the way, why are the air balloons not with the main army?

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Not if you are parking airships over their compound and setting up artillery in front of it. A police raid might be justified (though it would be rather humiliating to House Albrecht) but using Army assets to threaten (or even attack) Wenzel will be seen as crossing a line. It would be like deploying armour and military aircraft to threaten a crime boss, it would be seen as excessive.

Treason, and- well, just treason actually. As long as Wenzel is not harming anyone or anything important he is free to do whatever he wants.

It will be used as a sign of 'bad breeding' and will be held against the rest of House Albrecht. From a political perspective it is better to let Wenzel have fun in the shadows than drag it all into the light and confirm the rumours.

Albrecht does not want to lose them. He does not seem too confident of the chances his son and the army have in the south.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    How important is 'important'? Do we qualify? Do our friends qualify?

Is he allowed to disobey a direct order from the King? Is anyone else?

I still don't have a clear idea of what we are and aren't allowed to do, even after being selected as King's emissaries.

Really? Isn't it better from a political perspective to send him away to some god forsaken hole near a frontier where he can't do much harm?

How old is Wenzel, by the way?

How many do they have in the whole kingdom? Why so little?

What does he expect to use them for if he loses the army? Does he even have contingency plans?

It is as if everyone in the kingdom suddenly got hit by the idiot ball.

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well that is the question isn't it. The ladies honestly are not sure.

They are fairly confident that they could get the King to abandon Wenzel if they really tried (though without evidence of treason such a request is likely to alienate the King somewhat). However they also doubt the King would go out of his way to avenge them if Wenzel were to murder your entire party. There would be little incentive for the King to further antagonize his son for the sake of dead allies and any public confrontation on that issue would merely demonstrate how weak Albrecht is right now, encouraging more unrest and disobedience from the Lords.

Allowed? Legally, no but in practice anyone that thinks they can get away with it will do as they please. The King only has as much authority as he can enforce and with the Kingdom unraveling around him it is all rather murky.

As much as you can get away with given your contacts and allies. As long as you succeed then all will be forgiven. If Albrecht is still alive and in charge at the end of this he should be able to spin most things your way.

He does not wish to take such a vacation at the moment so he has remained in the city, surrounded by a small army.

About one hundred and twenty or so. So just shy of middle aged.

They are expensive to build and difficult to maintain. The sandstorms of the desert really do a number on them if you are not careful.

They are also dangerous to the Lords and so they are carefully controlled. To build new ones requires an order from the Assembly.

Well, if the very worst outcome occurs he plans to use at least one to evacuate what remains of his family. He will not go with them of course, he has fled his Kingdom once and has vowed to never do so again. If the Kingdom falls, he will fall with it.

In less extreme cases he will use them to move his Pathfinders if needed. He also intends to use them to help defend the city.

His plan was and is to fortify and defend the city. The walls of the old city and the artillery batteries he is setting up will make taking Myrgard quite difficult. He would rather fight against whatever is coming from the south at the capital than out in the field but he was overruled and the army was sent out anyway. If the army falls he will use all the resources he has left to hold the city.

Perhaps they are all cultists trying to bring about the end of the Kingdom?

Or perhaps they panicked when someone unleashed a horde or 'demons' in the south, at the same time that the ghôls began their most aggressive campaign in a generation, at the same time that Eberhardt came back from the dead and revived his insurrection, at the same time that a necromancer led horde poured out of the mountains.

I wonder if Derryth had a hand in causing any of that... :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, that's the point. You don't ask them to. You order them, and if they disobey... well. Let's say it demonstrates your weakness far more than any of the talks about bad breeding if you leave that unanswered.

Eh. Let's just say I am a bit disappointed with Albrecht's indecisiveness on this matter.

So pretty young, all things considered. A life of military service and being subjected to military laws might still do a boy some good.

Wonder if Morpheus can help with that as well... :lol:

How expensive, actually? One thing I want from Melete is a Final Fantasy style airship to traverse the Mythverse in. ;)

And does the city even have enough resourses to withstand the siege? Where would they get the food?

We didn't resurrect the Eberhardt... I think... I hope? :lol:

And by the way, isn't it too early for the ghouls to launch any kind of offensive? Nanshe has been the Empress for what, two weeks? Did the clans just surrender to her? There were still those who were content to serve the Watcher. I thought the process of unification would take years. I have trouble linking that to our actions alone, or at all.

Ah, well, we'll just have to sort it out, like always. :salute:

Edit:
    And yet bringing a military force with you to enforce the King's will is seen as excessive and a gross violation of the law.

Sorry, I don't get it. How else do you enforce your laws if there are people unwilling to abide by them? If one does not obey his liege, that is treason and should be dealt accordingly, no?

I do not understand why I can not use force to make people comply with my requests when they refuse a direct order from the King - or from the King's emissaries. People that do not recognize the King's right to rule are not subject to the laws of the kingdom that are based on the assumption that the King is the ultimate power.

Naturally, the monarchy in the kingdom is not absolutionist, and the Assembly exists as a limiter of that power. But that limiter only comes into play if the King's order is 'unreasonable', and I don't think a request to release a person that is being held illegally qualifies as such. It is well within the King's rights to demand one to abide by the laws of the state and apply force to see it done if they refuse.

^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What if his attack fails? What if he gets some, but not all of us, sparking a small scale 'civil war' as we will try to get back at him for that?

We would not be dead, but something would have to be done to prevent that from happening.

What would Albrecht do then? Ask him really nicely to step down? Because that proved really effective so far.

Or will he do nothing and risk losing us, and the kingdom with us?

I would have to ask again. If his son will work against us while we are trying our best to sort out the situation in the country, would it count as treason? Because from my perspective it is. Wenzel would be actively undermining his own country for personal reasons.

Avenging us may be futile, but preventing harm from coming to us in the first place might be a good idea.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.