Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    It's not just about intelligence. It's also about the size of your wallet and the amount of magic at your disposal. Those rings and amulets alone are worth at least 100 WPs and we have a bunch of mages who can cast all kinds of shit depending on what Berty wants. The Cock is unlikely to have those resources at his disposal because they are fighting men and they don't have our kind of money. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have magical stuff of his own but that he doesn't have magic quite like we do.

And knowing Berty he'll think of all sorts of other things he can bring to the table. I think Berty is a much smarter fighter than him, yes.

Fangshi, does he have any history of using magic, fighting mages, or using mage support? I'd also like to ask about writing and expending scrolls for stored magic.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Hm. I have another proposal for the maid.

10H. Turn her into a double agent.

She is unlikely to be motivated by some kind of belief or ideology. It looks like she just needs money, and she thought she could get away with this side job. If we tell her we are onto her, her options would be to either cooperate, or be hanged. I am more than sure that she would be happy to cooperate, particularly if we offer some kind of positive incentive as well so that she would value working for us over working for the other guys.

I don't think she is loyal to whomever she is selling her secrets to.

That way not only would we be able to dig into who she was meeting with, but we would also be able to feed them disinformation. If they are Eberhardts, we might be able to draw them out in the open for the slaughter.

I'd say it's worth a try.

The benefits of this option are that it tackles the issue straight away (instead of merely observing her), and that it does not alert the other party that we are onto them.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Not sure about selling the SG's spellbooks. The Brothers Dietfried play the black market, so no telling whom those tomes can end up with, and they could contain some serious stuff. I would rather share them with Christine than pawn them off.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Where do you read about pawning them off to Brothers Dietfried?

It's not like we are selling them. There is a risk, sure, but I'd rather give them away than the Halcyon stone.

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Berty has fought mages before and has been known to use the odd magic item every now and then.

It can be done but your three mages do not know how to do it as none of them went through a 'proper' education. It normally takes three to five years to teach a novice student how to successfully scribe scrolls that won't fizzle out or get them killed somehow. To scribe scrolls to a commercial standard normally requires even more years of experience to ensure there are no mistakes or peculiar symbols/shorthand.

For example that scroll of firebolt from chapter one was created by a mage with fifty years experience writing spells and it was perfect.

The experience needed to scribe scrolls also serves to limit the spread of knowledge between mages. Those that are skilled enough to write out the really good spells also tend to be paranoid/experienced/selfish enough to choose not to do so. Most scrolls are either basic spells or are treasured presents from master to student as a result.

Now the ladies are quite bright and if the three of them worked together they could likely manage to learn enough to produce low quality scrolls after maybe eighteen months of careful study provided they had a competent teacher. Such scrolls would be a bit unreliable if used and would be worth next to nothing at a shop but they would open the possibility of banking spells for later use. If they kept with it then in three years or so they could produce regular quality scrolls of their easiest spells. After a few decades of practice they might be able to get down perfect, 'medium strength' spells and if they lived and practiced for centuries they would be able to scribe some truly terrifying things (provided they learn them of course).

Added.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Alright. Anyone else wants to practice some counter-intelligence instead of passively waiting for the maid to leak another secret so we can catch them? If she does it on our terms, I think our chances of getting something out of it will improve.

^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Sure 10H. I can get behind this idea.

Actually, I was asking about the cock.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I just remembered something.
    We are being spied on in the Palace, presumably by Timo as well.
    :retarded::retarded::retarded:

Ah, well. :M

^ Top  
  9. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I'll flop
    1.Aiv > Aii
    10. H > E

I was thinking for the portal we use Jan and one other mage from the academy that he trusts the most. I believe we only needed five to open the portal.

Did we want to arrange anything special for Melete? It irks me that it looks like we are going to have to leave her asleep for another month.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Eight. Yeah, I am trying to come up with a solution for that, too, but for now such a trip does not look affordable.

I don't know what can be done about her, safe for the ritual. It's either solving the situation in the south, or solving our personal problem.

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    From what little you can find out about the maul the answer is yes. He has fought mages before. You do not know if he owns any magical items but as a mercenary captain it he is likely to.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Nevill:
    1. Aiv
    2. C
    3. B
    4. B
    5. B
    6. B
    7. A
    8. Ai
    9. A(20) B(40) D(2) H(20)
    10. H
    11. C (spellbooks)
    12. B

Kz3r0:
    1. D>Aii
    2. Ai
    3. B
    4. C
    5. B
    6. C
    7. A
    8. Aii
    9. A(40) G(20) H(20)
    10. E
    11. C (Spare spellbooks)
    12. B

Grimgravy:
    1. B
    2. B
    3. Aii
    4. B
    5. B
    6. B
    7. B
    8. A
    9. A(10) B(20) C(10) F(15) G(10) H(20) I(2)
    10. E
    11. E
    12. x

Azira:
    1. Aii
    2. Ai
    3. B
    4. B
    5. B
    6. B
    7. A
    8. Ai
    9. none
    10. F
    11. C>D>E
    12. x

archaen:
    1. Aiv>Aii
    2. C>Aii
    3. B
    4. C
    5. B
    6. B
    7. A
    8. A
    9. A(40) B(40)
    10. H>E
    11. D>C (spellbooks)
    12. A

GreyViper:
    1. Aii
    2. Aii
    3. B
    4. B
    5. B
    6. B
    7. A
    8. Aii
    9. A(40) D(5) G(20) H(20)
    10. E
    11. C (Spare spellbooks)
    12. x

Absinthe:
    1. Ai
    2. B
    3. B
    4. C
    5. B
    6. B
    7. B
    8. B
    9. E (5)
    10. H
    11. C (spellbooks)
    12. B

Jester:
    1. Aii>Aiv
    2. C
    3. B
    4. B
    5. B
    6. C
    7. A
    8. Ai
    9. A(40) B(40) C(10) D(2) E(5) G(10) H(20) I(10)
    10. B
    11. C (Halcyon Stone)
    12. B

1. Interrogation
    3 votes Aii
    2 votes Aiv
    1 vote Ai
    1 vote B
    1 vote D

2. The Doves
    3 votes C
    2 votes Ai
    2 votes B
    1 vote Aii

3. The Bastards
    7 votes B
    1 vote Aii

4. The Cocks
    5 votes B
    3 votes C

5. The Knights
    8 votes B

6. The Hounds
    6 votes B
    2 vote C

7. The Greys
    6 votes A
    2 votes B

8. The Boys
    3 votes Ai
    2 votes Aii
    2 votes Ax
    1 vote B

9. Unaffiliated Mercenaries
    Dwarfs:
    A)Grenadiers - 6/8 votes: 4 votes for forty, 1 vote for twenty, 1 vote for ten
    B)Warriors - 4/8 votes: 3 votes for forty, 1 vote for twenty
    C)Crossbowmen - 2/8 votes: 2 votes for ten
    D)Mortars - 3/8 votes: 1 vote for five, 2 votes for two
    E)Enchanters - 2/8 votes: 2 votes for five

Humans:
    F)Sellswords - 1/8 votes: 1 vote for fifteen
    G)Archers - 4/8 votes: 2 votes for twenty, 2 votes for ten
    H)Legionaries - 5/8 votes: 5 votes for twenty

Mauls:
    I)Warriors - 2/8 votes: 1 vote for two, 1 vote for ten

10. the maid
    3 votes H
    2 votes E
    1 vote B
    1 vote F
    1 vote D

11. the loan
    6 votes C (one general, four for spellbooks and one for the Halcyon Stone)
    1 vote D
    1 vote E

12. the gate
    5 votes for B
    1 vote for A
    2 votes undeclared.

At the moment your options look like the following:

1. For the interrogation you will use your mental spells to break the prince and take what you want.

2. You will express interest in hiring the Doves but you will not recruit them until your finances improve/you know more about them.

3. You will not recruit the Bastards.

4. You will not recruit the Cocks.

5. You will not recruit the Knights.

6. You will not recruit the Hounds.

7. You will recruit the Greys. Gaining 500WPs and possibly 70WPS per month.

8. You will hire the Boys for 25WPs a month.

9. You will hire some of the unaffiliated mercenaries:

- Forty dwarven grenadiers at 20WPs a month.

- Forty dwarven warriors at 10WPs a month.

- Currently tied - Either Ten human archers at 15WPs or twenty human archers at 30WPs

- Twenty human legionaries at 20WPs a month.

10. You will attempt to turn the maid into a double agent.

11. You will take out another loan (of 300WPs) with Mayer to help pay down your debt with the Goldsmiths a little faster. He will hold off on collecting till your other debts are paid and he will charge a flat rate of interest on the loan. He reserves the right to ask you for a favour in exchange for not charging the usual compound interest. You reserve the right to refuse the favour and pay the difference instead. You will give him your accumulated extra spellbooks to act as a guarantee on the loan. These include: the Elemental Tome, the Worn Book, 'Golems for dummies', the half dozen unsorted spell pages, Gullveig's tome and the five spellbooks written in the language of the Spider Goddess. The Purple Sun scroll you will hold on to as it is potentially worth far more than 300WPs. Mayer will not attempt to sell the books unless you die or disappear and the loan can not be repaid through other means.

12. You will not open a gate to Muirthemne at the moment, perhaps something for later.

I will give the vote another twenty four hours or so and then close things up.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The Worn Book is not a spellbok, and it is not worth much to anyone except Derryth (and to her, it is worth more than the Halcyon stone, since she mentioned that Henry is in the book). I would exclude it from the list of items on loan.

Does anyone have an interest in exchanging (emphasis on exchange, i.e. not both) the archers in the list above for 2 mortars? Same money, better pay-off, and looking at the choices, we already have Greys for archers, but no mortars.

Anyone else is up to trying to solve the situation with Wenzel without resorting to mind-breaking spells? I know Kz3r0, Grimgravy and Absinthe expressed an interest in this, though there is no single opinion on how to go about this.

I'd keep the spells as a last resort 'if all else fails', since this inconveniences us almost as much as it does Wenzel.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The worn book is Golems for Dummies. It is a spellbook. Henry's book is 'A Weathered Book, On the Cycles of Light and Dark' (speaking of which, can't believe I have had the formating on the book title wrong this whole time without noticing... :oops:).

I actually moved all of your non magical notes/letters/books to a separate subheading to prevent confusion. Looks like it didn't work... :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We're the 'dex. We can always confuse ourselves. :M

^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Voring in favor of ten archers to breack the tie.
    And changing my vote to 1 Aiv, only because breacking Wenzel could give us troubles not because I am cnvinced of the plan.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What do you think need to be changed?

The goal is the same as with Ai - to talk to him and learn things that way - though there is an added goal of doing something about Letta.

If you have an idea of how to free her, please suggest it. That's the best I could come up with. I don't know how likely it is to work, as it partly depends on what Wenzel knows.

I am never convinced of my plans myself, so suggestions on how to improve them are always welcome. :)

I am fine with just talking to him, provided that we have a backup plan for failure, as I don't want to let him go until at least some of our goals are completed.

^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I'm not sold on any on the options for Wenzel. Letting the Sovereigns deal with him looks the most entertaining.

^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    My position was clear, use mental spells combined with interrogation without breacking him, if that fails resort to intimidation.
    The only real problem are his two brothers and his father, if we don't want to piss them off we can doi almost nothing.
    About Letta the best option would be to detain Wenzel somewhere then storm his compound, I don't think his family will care for a bunch of dead ruffians.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That is pretty much my position as well. The problem is that mind spells do not do much if you do not get forceful. They can read surface reactions and thoughts, but not much more.

So you can get a feeling of whether he lies or tells the truth, but only if he talks about something himself, and if he does not suspect you in trying to get into his head.

The plan starts as Ai, and relies on spells to check for his sincerity and how well does he buy our act.

I do not try to talk with him from a position of force, though. He thinks we can't force him, and if we try to prove him that we can, it might create problems for us. So I tackle the subject from another angle.
    I don't think my plan excludes this option if it does not work. I do not plan to allow Wenzel to leave the premises of the Palace without ensuring her fate one way or the other.

Hell, I was the one who called him to the Palace for that exact purpose, to isolate him from his gang.

I just thought that we might attempt to outsmart him and free Letta without resorting to violence that always carries some risk for the hostages.

^ Top  
  20. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    In this case we can try to bluff, detain Wenzel, march with your forces to his compound, wave under their nose the papers with the royal seal and tell them to release the hostages immediately if they want to avoid to go on trial with their boss that is currently under arrest, or something like that, I don't think that they are privy to palace' politics, the only thing they know is that Wenzel has been summoned by the king.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That might be complicated. See, I asked the same question before I came up with the plan:
    This is the answer I've got:
    I thought that summoning and detaining Wenzel would solve our problems, but apparently it might not. That made me try to think of something else.

We can always try force, but why not try trickery first?

^ Top  
  22. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Because trickery is very likely to fail if we don't know what kind of orders Wenzel has gave, and if it fails expose our weackness, someone backed by the king or acting on his orders doesn't try to be sneaky.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That is why expressing interest in his company and how they run things there is a part of the plan, at least in its initial stage.
    That might be a concern, but do we really have that weakness?

Is there something stopping us from leveling the compound?

The problem here is that the threat of violence might not be effective, not that we can't back that threat.

^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Why?
    What gives Wenzel's minions such confidence in trying to resist emissaries of the crown?
    Wenzel is protected by being a royal prince but them?
    And even if they are privy to palace intrigue Albrecht has effectively granted us the right to execute royal princes here and there, the problem for us obviously is how to justify such action, but is in our power to do if needed nonetheless.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Don't ask me. I asked the question, I got the answer. I do not know why the answer is what it is. Maybe they don't give a fuck. Maybe Rand is in charge. Maybe Wenzel is serving the Watcher. Maybe Wenzel is the Watcher. I have no idea.

I have a question for you, though. If they don't give us Letta, what is stopping us from executing your scenario?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.