Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
6) C send Martin to stage great escape

Alright added breaking the animals out of their cages/pens.

Absinthe

Arcane
That sounds like a bad idea. I think they would try to eat Martin. I don't even see what we could gain out of the animal escape.

Voting 4C and I want to add that the stone discs and rings will all be at Berty's disposal for this fight. I think killing the Cock is a good option.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fangshi said:
From what Albrecht has told you, you think Reinhard and Timo would resent you for it. They have always tried to protect their younger brother (and have even spoiled him to a degree since they often step in to fix his mistakes) and if they find out you destroyed him they would almost certainly hold it against you privately if not publicly.
Would mentally interrogating Wenzel qualify if we re-assemble him afterwards?

Because if it does, I am thinking that the Codex is about to have yet another of its Great Retardation Moments. Let's go talk to Timo, the second most connected schemer in the Kingdom, the dwarf that is second only to Albrecht in intrigue. Let's make use of his agent network to procure us information that we will base our decisions on. Let's go serve under Reinhard to beat the overwhelming odds against the Watcher, the ghols and the rebels.

But first, let's piss them all off and make them despise you (and perhaps want you gone) by frying the mind of their blood brother because we didn't like him. That sounds like a smart idea. :retarded:

archaen said:
Ask Berty if he wants to take on the Cock for control of the company. It would be his to lead if he succeeds The girls can provide whatever magical assistance they can before the fight if he wishes.
Um. If Berty beats the Cocks, it does not make them free to maintain. Can anyone voting for the cool options check the income balance after all of them are implemented? Because we currently have enough people voting for options that give us -150 WPs as it is.

The currently voted options leave us between -65 WPs and -95 WPs after taking the Greys. Mostly because of the Doves and the mortars.

I am yet to hear from anyone how we are going to pay the debt off. Math are teh hardz?

If we can agree not to buy the Doves out here and now, we would actually be able to hire people without sinking our finances.
archaen said:
Derryth and Thais are sick of being hamstrung by their finances. They will convince the academy to help them open a portal to their base in Muirthemne at a site outside the city
Right, let's go to the place that we know for sure is infested with the cultists (even Hallr told us he does not know how deep the cultist network runs. He also mentioned that his apprentices were meeting with someone else, and there were signs that people in several administrative brached are involved), and link our minds with them.

The investigation and purging of the cultists is going to take weeks, and there is no guarantee that they will get them all.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Would mentally interrogating Wenzel qualify if we re-assemble him afterwards?

As long as you do a good job of putting him back together they might never know, you are not really sure what will happen as you have never tried to rebuild a mind after wrecking it.

If you leave him as a mess then it is fairly safe to assume they will have a problem with your actions.

Nevill

Arcane
Ok, let me try one more time.

I am not concerned for Wenzel's well-being, and everything he is going to get, he had coming. But I object to the way of doing it that would leave our own position weaker. If we can't stitch him back together, we are going to have a much harder time with our investigation and with operating in the kingdom in general. Why do we want to serve under a military commander with a grudge against us, again?

Wenzel is simply not worth that trouble.

Why can't we attempt extracting information the old-fashioned way and turn to mind spells only if it fails? Hell, even putting him in the Dreaming for reeducation and extracting the information there is less retarded at this point. Looking at Wenzel's cost in IPs, it would take an Oneiroi mage to bail him out if we need it, safe, sound and harmless.

The attempt to do it the quick way is extremely short-sighted.

Jester

Arbiter
1. The Interrogation, You decide to:
A)ii>iv.

2. The Blooded Doves
C) first learn abouth their god, we tend to dont have luck with gods.

3. Ta' Blue Bastards:
B)

4. The Mighty Cocks
B)

5. The Knights of the Broken Lance:
B)

6. The Hounds:
C) Adventure!

7. The Grey Arrows:
A) Hire.

8. The Brickyard Boys:
A)i - have high expectations of that guy, bevare the polite/kind ones

9. Unaffiliated Mercenaries:
A) Grenadiers 40
B) 40
C) 10
D) Mortars 2 - artilerry is good
E) Enchanters 5 - science and gear when not fighting.
G) Archers 10 - should help to properly train greys (black arrows would be prefered)
H) Former Legion Warriors: 20 - drill seargents
I) Warriors: 10 - shock troop

10. The maid:
B) Bring her in for questioning. You and Thaïs will use your mentalist spells on her.

11. A loan from Mayer:
C) your half of the Halcyon Stone

B)

Long time build relying on average mercenaries in short term power gain. The main companies are either undisciplined or prone to working for highest bidder. Doves might be other good solution, still would prefere to learn about their faith before we agree to help them. Knight are to expensive in my oppinion.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hm.

Fangshi, did we obtain information from the King about what kind of prisoners escaped from the Pathfinder's prison? Is there a list? We know there were at least the Oneiroi and the necromancer, but were there others as well? They said some of the most dangerous criminals have escaped.

I have a lingering suspicion that some of them ended up with the Weazels. It would not surprise me if Wenzel found the thought of hiding the enemies of his father amusing.

Just something to check.

I will vote 10 A, 11 C (spellbooks, NOT FOR RESALE), and 12 B to complete the set.

Absinthe

Arcane
Voting 1Ai. I'm not sure why you guys are adverse to this. Wenzel's social skills seem to be shit, so we're probably going to slaughter him in a social encounter. Especially if Thais uses magic like Delightful Conversationalist. Also Fangshi, shouldn't we have some experience with rebuilding minds given the accidental mind-merge between Derryth & Thais and the assistance we provided Nine?

2B
3B
4C is strongly recommended. That's a discount and we fix their act.
5B
6B
7B
8B
9 5 Enchanters only
10H
11C Spellbooks (but not the Purple Sun scroll)
12B

Right now I'm a tad leery of picking up any shoddy troops or becoming a huge, unwieldy organization. I think we'd be biting off more than we can chew. We can always expand with noobs after the current mess in Stoneheim. Any novices we take with us are just going to get slaughtered in this disaster. I favor a small squad of elites.

I also want to partner with the Black Arrows asap.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
A 10. How long until Nevill suggest we invite her into the all-female harem? Pedophilia aside?
What makes you think I didn't already? :P

Besides, it's not like I lack patience. :rpgcodex: I will invite everyone to the all-female harem. After forcibly turning them all into hot females, of course.

I did not request USH scores for everyone we've met out of idle curiosity!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Amended my vote, again:

1.D>A) ii

Fangshi couldn't we try a mixed approach with Wenzel?
Thais will lead the interrogation with Derryth support, while using mental spells when he is distracted, in short we will try to not destroy his mind, in case that wouldn't work we will consign him to the sovereigns, this would be D I guess.
2.A
3.B
4.C

5.B
6.C
7.A
8.Aii
A) Forty.
G) Twenty.
H) Twenty.

10.E)
11.C)Spare spellbooks.
12.B

Jester

Arbiter
Well there is posibilyty of death in handling a mighty cock.

Oh and we can kick out some average ones after we take care of south buisness.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, did we obtain information from the King about what kind of prisoners escaped from the Pathfinder's prison? Is there a list? We know there were at least the Oneiroi and the necromancer, but were there others as well? They said some of the most dangerous criminals have escaped.

There were twenty three individuals held at the prison. Eight escaped. The prison holds mostly mages, violent mages that for one reason or another the state has chosen to keep alive.

The necromancer was one.

The Oneiroi were two and three.

The fourth was a dwarf named Nilas, he was held on fifty two charges of murder. None of the murders were politically motivated from what the Pathfinders can tell. In fact they have had trouble finding a motive for the murders at all. At the moment they believe that Nilas kills simply because he wants to or feels he has to. He was not killed because that Pathfinders were trying to figure out how exactly he managed to pull off half of his murders. He seems to have the ability to pass through or along any flat surface in the form of a greyish brown shadow which in turn lets him bypass most of his prey's defenses. He is also something of a master at physical spells rendering traditional torture quite useless, (if he chooses to he feels no pain). He is tall for a dwarf, with black hair, grey skin and grey eyes. The Pathfinders currently have no idea as to his whereabouts.

The fifth was a political prisoner, a human from the Empire by the name of Nevena. She is a poisoner (naturally specializing in elemental poison magic) and the Pathfinders believe she has murdered at least thirty eight people with her magic. However only one of her murders took place in the Kingdom, her last one. She managed to kill one of the Province's ambassadors to the Kingdom five years ago but the Pathfinders caught her before she could escape back to human lands. She has been held in their prison since then at the request of the ambassador's family. They wanted her to suffer for the rest of her life and the dwarves obliged. She is about average height for a human with brown hair and brown eyes. In most ways she would be completely unspectacular but the tortures of the dwarves have left their mark on her. She is badly scarred on her face and hands.

The sixth was a maul, he had no known name and extracting any information from him had proven a challenge as he cut out his own tongue before he was captured. He did not seem to be able to write or read either. He practiced some sort of shamanistic magic from the steppes and was being held for theft and murder. He strangled the heir of a minor House to death and attempted to rob him. He was being held until his execution could be arranged. The Pathfinders have already found him and managed to end his life.

The seventh is a dwarf, a mercenary mage that has had several run ins with the Pathfinders before. He was imprisoned for killing Pathfinder agents. He managed to kill five, seven years ago, before Bari and Ari brought him down. He was imprisoned so that his end would not be quick. He is extremely dangerous, skilled in light, enchantment and elemental magic; he is also a skilled warrior and a passable inventor. He would have been a great asset to the Kingdom if he were not so insane and generally dangerous.

The final prisoner was a ghôl, some sort of shaman. The Pathfinders would simply have killed it but it claimed to know something about Albrecht's children. Sadly it refused to break under torture.

Absinthe said:
Fangshi, shouldn't we have some experience with rebuilding minds given the accidental mind-merge between Derryth & Thais and the assistance we provided Nine?

The mind merge did not require you to rebuild your minds as Faceless helped you avoid having them destroyed in the first place. There also would have been no coming back from that.

Nine is currently rebuilding her own mind by herself and it will likely take some time but D&T did not help to actually repair anything personally.

This would be your first real attempt at taking a mind apart and putting it back together but everyone has to start somewhere I suppose.

Kz3r0 said:
Fangshi couldn't we try a mixed approach with Wenzel?
Thais will lead the interrogation with Derryth support, while using mental spells when he is distracted, in short we will try to not destroy his mind, in case that wouldn't work we will consign him to the sovereigns, this would be D I guess.

Sure you can try that, I will add it.

Current Tally:

Nevill:
1. Aiv
2. C
3. B
4. B
5. B
6. B
7. A
8. Ai
9. A(20) B(40) D(2) H(20)
10. H
11. C (spellbooks)
12. B

Kz3r0:
1. D>Aii
2. Ai
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. C
7. A
8. Aii
9. A(40) G(20) H(20)
10. E
11. C (Spare spellbooks)
12. B

Grimgravy:
1. B
2. B
3. Aii
4. B
5. B
6. B
7. B
8. A
9. A(10) B(20) C(10) F(15) G(10) H(20) I(2)
10. E
11. E
12. x

Azira:
1. Aii
2. Ai
3. B
4. B
5. B
6. B
7. A
8. Ai
9. none
10. F
11. C>D>E
12. x

archaen:
1. Aiv>Aii
2. C>Aii
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. B
7. A
8. A
9. A(40) B(40)
10. H>E
11. D>C (spellbooks)
12. A

GreyViper:
1. Aii
2. Aii
3. B
4. B
5. B
6. B
7. A
8. Aii
9. A(40) D(5) G(20) H(20)
10. E
11. C (Spare spellbooks)
12. x

Absinthe:
1. Ai
2. B
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. B
7. B
8. B
9. E (5)
10. H
11. C (spellbooks)
12. B

Jester:
1. Aii>Aiv
2. C
3. B
4. B
5. B
6. C
7. A
8. Ai
9. A(40) B(40) C(10) D(2) E(5) G(10) H(20) I(10)
10. B
11. C (Halcyon Stone)
12. B

1. Interrogation
3 votes Aii
2 votes Aiv
1 vote Ai
1 vote B
1 vote D

2. The Doves
2 votes Ai
3 votes C
2 votes B
1 vote Aii

3. The Bastards
7 votes B
1 vote Aii

4. The Cocks
5 votes B
3 votes C

5. The Knights
8 votes B

6. The Hounds
6 votes B
2 vote C

7. The Greys
6 votes A
2 votes B

8. The Boys
3 votes Ai
2 votes Aii
2 votes Ax
1 vote B

9. Unaffiliated Mercenaries
Dwarfs:
A)Grenadiers - 6/8 votes: 4 votes for forty, 1 vote for twenty, 1 vote for ten
B)Warriors - 4/8 votes: 3 votes for forty, 1 vote for twenty
C)Crossbowmen - 2/8 votes: 2 votes for ten
D)Mortars - 3/8 votes: 1 vote for five, 2 votes for two
E)Enchanters - 2/8 votes: 2 votes for five

Humans:
F)Sellswords - 1/8 votes: 1 vote for fifteen
G)Archers - 4/8 votes: 2 votes for twenty, 2 votes for ten
H)Legionaries - 5/8 votes: 5 votes for twenty

Mauls:
I)Warriors - 2/8 votes: 1 vote for two, 1 vote for ten

10. the maid
3 votes H
2 votes E
1 vote B
1 vote F
1 vote D

11. the loan
6 votes C (one general, four for spellbooks and one for the Halcyon Stone)
1 vote D
1 vote E

12. the gate
5 votes for B
1 vote for A
2 votes undeclared.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Well there is posibilyty of death in handling a mighty cock.
Berty knows his stuff. And we'll give him all the magical preparation he needs (anything goes in that fight). That includes handing him 3 spell-storing rings and the 2 spell-storing discs. That's a ton of magic at his fingertips.

Nevill

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Berty knows his stuff. And we'll give him all the magical preparation he needs (anything goes in that fight). That includes handing him 3 spell-storing rings and the 2 spell-storing discs. That's a ton of magic at his fingertips.
There is a question of what his opponent can bring to the table.

Why do we think we are the only 'smart' ones that can use items to boost our fighting abilities? Rand's clone should have made pretty obvious this is not the case. For all we know, the opponent might have his own 'ton of magic' for cases like this.

Absinthe

Arcane
It's not just about intelligence. It's also about the size of your wallet and the amount of magic at your disposal. Those rings and amulets alone are worth at least 100 WPs and we have a bunch of mages who can cast all kinds of shit depending on what Berty wants. The Cock is unlikely to have those resources at his disposal because they are fighting men and they don't have our kind of money. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have magical stuff of his own but that he doesn't have magic quite like we do.

And knowing Berty he'll think of all sorts of other things he can bring to the table. I think Berty is a much smarter fighter than him, yes.

Fangshi, does he have any history of using magic, fighting mages, or using mage support? I'd also like to ask about writing and expending scrolls for stored magic.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. I have another proposal for the maid.

10H. Turn her into a double agent.

She is unlikely to be motivated by some kind of belief or ideology. It looks like she just needs money, and she thought she could get away with this side job. If we tell her we are onto her, her options would be to either cooperate, or be hanged. I am more than sure that she would be happy to cooperate, particularly if we offer some kind of positive incentive as well so that she would value working for us over working for the other guys.

I don't think she is loyal to whomever she is selling her secrets to.

That way not only would we be able to dig into who she was meeting with, but we would also be able to feed them disinformation. If they are Eberhardts, we might be able to draw them out in the open for the slaughter.

I'd say it's worth a try.

The benefits of this option are that it tackles the issue straight away (instead of merely observing her), and that it does not alert the other party that we are onto them.

Baltika9

Arcane
Not sure about selling the SG's spellbooks. The Brothers Dietfried play the black market, so no telling whom those tomes can end up with, and they could contain some serious stuff. I would rather share them with Christine than pawn them off.

Nevill

Arcane
Where do you read about pawning them off to Brothers Dietfried?

It's not like we are selling them. There is a risk, sure, but I'd rather give them away than the Halcyon stone.

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Fangshi, does he have any history of using magic, fighting mages, or using mage support?

Berty has fought mages before and has been known to use the odd magic item every now and then.

Absinthe said:
I'd also like to ask about writing and expending scrolls for stored magic.

It can be done but your three mages do not know how to do it as none of them went through a 'proper' education. It normally takes three to five years to teach a novice student how to successfully scribe scrolls that won't fizzle out or get them killed somehow. To scribe scrolls to a commercial standard normally requires even more years of experience to ensure there are no mistakes or peculiar symbols/shorthand.

For example that scroll of firebolt from chapter one was created by a mage with fifty years experience writing spells and it was perfect.

The experience needed to scribe scrolls also serves to limit the spread of knowledge between mages. Those that are skilled enough to write out the really good spells also tend to be paranoid/experienced/selfish enough to choose not to do so. Most scrolls are either basic spells or are treasured presents from master to student as a result.

Now the ladies are quite bright and if the three of them worked together they could likely manage to learn enough to produce low quality scrolls after maybe eighteen months of careful study provided they had a competent teacher. Such scrolls would be a bit unreliable if used and would be worth next to nothing at a shop but they would open the possibility of banking spells for later use. If they kept with it then in three years or so they could produce regular quality scrolls of their easiest spells. After a few decades of practice they might be able to get down perfect, 'medium strength' spells and if they lived and practiced for centuries they would be able to scribe some truly terrifying things (provided they learn them of course).

Nevill said:
10H. Turn her into a double agent.

Added.

Nevill

Arcane
Alright. Anyone else wants to practice some counter-intelligence instead of passively waiting for the maid to leak another secret so we can catch them? If she does it on our terms, I think our chances of getting something out of it will improve.

Nevill

Arcane
I just remembered something.
Mayer grunts from across the room, he has been talking to Skite all morning in preparation for today's interviews but he can not help but eavesdrop on your conversation, he calls over "It is true, Albrecht's second son has one of the best networks in the whole Kingdom but he does not have the best agents," he raises his voice even louder, "And whoever is spying on us right now can tell him I said that!"

The banker is no doubt being a little paranoid, a trait you can sympathize with and admire, hell some small part of you even swears you can hear someone moving through the walls in response to Mayer's declaration. You are not sure if it is merely paranoia on your part or an actual agent from one of the numerous networks that might want to keep tabs on you.
We are being spied on in the Palace, presumably by Timo as well.
As long as you do a good job of putting him back together they might never know
:retarded::retarded::retarded:

Ah, well. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom