Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No, we can't be delayed right now.

7. Aiii - Freeform. Promise to restore Enki's arm in exchange for Lilli, but we will not perform the ritual right away as we lack time.

We can likely only do it after the campaign in the south is over. But that does not prevent Nanshe from trying to find her in the meantime. If she finds out about her fate, we will uphold our part of the bargain.

I am in favor of this also because Nanshe can instruct Enki to cooperate with us on the matter of that Nightmare scroll. It's a win-win for everyone.

^ Top  
  2. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    7Aiv Tell Nanshe that giving Albrecht back his daughter is a good gesture to persuade House Albrecht (the ruling house of the dwarves) to de-escalate the dwarf-ghol war. Naturally, we would also try to persuade Albrecht on this front. Also open up the possibility of a greater heal ritual for Enki later.

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Added.

Added.

So then you want Nanshe to send Enki with you? She is not likely to agree to that. When she offered to send someone with you (pretending to be a slave) she meant one of his acolytes. You know, someone that could be murdered if needed and not dramatically hurt her Empire.:lol:

Current Tally:
    Show Spoiler
    Grimgravy:
    1)C ii, iii, v
    2)B
    3)A>Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

Baltika9:
    1)A
    2)A
    3)A
    4)A
    5)x
    6)x
    7)x

Absinthe:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A>F
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

Nevill:
    1)A
    2)x
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiii

Kz3r0:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)B
    7)Aiv

Jester:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A
    4)B
    5)B
    6)x
    7)x

Karwelas:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)G
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

archaen:
    1)A
    2)A
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

Azira:
    1)C iii, iv, v
    2)B
    3)F>Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

asxestos
    1)A
    2)B
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

1. The Reward: A - Metal/Musical Magic
    8 votes A
    2 votes C: (2 votes Ciii, 2 votes Cv, 1 vote Cii, 1 vote Civ)

2. Whispering Campaign: B - No
    7 votes B
    2 votes A
    1 vote undecided

3.Alric: Tied between A and Gi
    5 votes A
    4 votes G: (3 votes Gi, 1 vote G general)
    1 vote F

Post Flop:
    5 votes A
    5 votes G: 4 votes Gi, 1 vote G general)

4. Mazzarin: B - Don't call Mazzarin
    9 votes B
    1 vote A

5. Spoils of War: Bii - Claim the possessions of the vermillion, green and amber mages but not their Watcher stones.
    9 votes B (8 votes Bii, 1 vote B general)
    1 vote undeclared

6. The Pyrite Empress/Grand Conspiracy for Peace! : D - Postpone committing to anything until you are done in the south.
    2 votes D
    1 vote B
    7 votes undeclared

7. Lilli: Aiv - Tell Nanshe that giving Albrecht back his daughter is a good gesture to persuade House Albrecht (the ruling house of the dwarves) to de-escalate the dwarf-ghol war. Also try to persuade Albrecht on this front and open up the possibility of a greater heal ritual for Enki later when matters to the south have been settled.
    3/3 votes for A: (2 votes Aiv, 1 vote Aiii)
    0/3 votes for B
    7 votes undeclared

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, I am assuming, but only because Brannons do have a huge say. Earlier I asked what would Alric do if he found out that Brannons were financing the Eberhardt terrorists (which they probably weren't, but I asked about a hypothetical situation).

The answer was that Alric would sooner declare war on the dwarven kingdom than risk a civil war in his own Empire:
    That says a lot about the kind of power the Brannons have.

As for the evidence of us being dark mages - they were going to slowly kill Melete for the accidental death of Devlin Brannon after accusing her of conspiring with the Dark, with no evidence whatsoever. They are not going to bother with evidence when they can fabricate it.

We are not going over the king's head as we a) have his written permissions to do anything, and b) specifically ask about it as a part of Gi.

If by 'not having control over his country's negotiations' you mean 'does not have contacts among the Heron Guard to reach the Emperor directly', then yes, this is a part of why I am doing it.

I don't see extreme humiliation anywhere.

I will provide an example of the letter I want to write some time tomorrow. There is a reason I want to write it myself because there are parts that Albrecht simply would not write due to his position and his part in the whole story.

Again, I will refer you to that quote from before. It amounts to 'it is because Alric is wise that he listens to what the Brannons say, as he does not want a conflict with them'.

We need to fix our reputation in the Empire, and I am yet to hear how we are going to do this.

Faceless is just the 6th strongest mage in the setting. He is strong, but not that strong he can drive the Emperor out of his own Palace. And Faceless always keeps a low profile.

No, it can only be Mazzarin.

It is the first time I hear that Alric is indebted to Mazzarin in some way. What are you referring to?

There is no longer the Eberhardts faction. As a political power they are destroyed, and their are currently tools to the Spider Goddess. The reason why the Brannons supported the Republic in the first place is because they thought it would be more resistant to the Dark, and now the 'Eberhardt resurrected' is a spider demon.

Yeah, no way they are supporting that. Their allies among the Eberhardts are dead, thanks to us, there is simply no point.

No, I don't want him with us. I don't want any ghol with us right now. I mean we can do the whole exchange/learning later, probably at Dietfried's place, or on the neutral territory in Muirthemne.

^ Top  
  5. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    I think Fangshi already established that Faceless can face off against Mazzarin. He is inferior as a mage, but superior in cunning (much like us).

My bad, I was thinking of Connacht.

We know that, but the empire doesn't. The Brannons already distrust us as agents of the dark (so our word doesn't do anything for them) and the Eberhardt faction is gaining power and influence as a "righteous" threat against the current government. I think it's probable that the Brannons would continue to support their allies without realizing that they are now supporting the dark.

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I think it was established that he is scared shitless of Maz. :lol:

Does not stop him from trying to piss in the archmage's bowl from time to time, but he does not want to get caught. The only time he faced Maz in battle was with two other Fallen Lords, and they had to flee for their lives.

Here is the power ranking, by the way. Alric is above the Faceless in power, and quite possibly more cunning, too.

The Emperor knows better than anyone that you can't just bring someone from the dead, and the Eberhardt was publicly hanged.

The faction has support among the 'plebeans' who simply don't know a spider demon from a person and believe that magic and miracles can do anything.

What would Brannons gain from supporting Eberhardts as they are now? What is the point? It was cool when they had the backing of 75% of the bankers and noble houses, but now? They are a lost political cause.

^ Top  
  7. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    6D
    7Aiv

Our secret symbol should be a cart full of manure.

^ Top  
  8. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    6. The Pyrite Empress: Your attempts to persuade Nanshe to put an end to the longstanding dwarven/ghôlish war have yielded a few small fruits. She is willing to consider manipulating her own people to prevent another war but she wants proof that the original conflict between her people and the dwarves was the result of a third party's interference. She also wants you to teach her the Eternal Bloom ritual to keep her young and able to control her people for as long as is needed. If she does go through with her side of the bargain then she will be betraying her people's trust and desires, if she is ever caught then she will be killed and buried and so will her entire clan from the oldest to the youngest pup. If she is going to do this she will want a commitment from you to aid her in any way possible and provide her with information and material support if needed. Naturally if you are caught working in such a close manner with a ghôl by your enemies or the dwarves in general you will be stripped of all titles and you will be killed, painfully, along with all those you know that have been similarly compromised.

To pull this off you will need to engage in a campaign of manipulation and misdirection that will likely span centuries and will require agents on both sides dedicated to preventing future wars and you may need to form some sort of syndicate or cryptocracy spanning the south to see it to completion. It is not something to be undertaken lightly but you might be able to build a better future and spare two peoples from a pointless cycle of endless conflict.

D) Postpone the decision until the conflict in the south is resolved.

7. Lilli: She may still be alive and Nanshe says she was last seen as a slave amongst the Yellow Tusks. You could try to pursue this lead in a number of ways. As most of the options are not mutually exclusive all options that receive a majority vote will be selected. If you do not want to make any deals then select C:

B)(? I think this option should be in A, but who knows.) Get Morpheus to help: He can peer into the dreams of mortals and might be able to track Lilli down to a specific location now that he knows what he is looking for (the most popular variant will be chosen should this option get selected):

iv. Tell Nanshe that giving Albrecht back his daughter is a good gesture to persuade House Albrecht (the ruling house of the dwarves) to de-escalate the dwarf-ghol war. Naturally, you would also try to persuade Albrecht on this front. Also open up the possibility of a greater heal ritual for Enki later when matters to the south have been settled.

^ Top  
  9. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    I believe the power ranking you have puts the Faceless Man and Alric on the same level, except I think Faceless is more cunning. Frankly, I think it is far more likely that Faceless would drive out Alric than that Mazzarin would do it. Especially since we know Faceless was in Muirthemne (hiring our own crew).

You just established to what lengths Alric would go to maintain the Brannons' support. It seems he is more than open to persuasion by the Brannons.

You're trying to make it look like the Eberhardts are a lost cause when the exact problem is that they have been gaining power and traction. With the support of the empire, this would be a huge fucking problem.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    ^ Top  
  10. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Ok have to get through some posts probably tomorrow still...

Wow critical hit on persuade roll. We nailed that shiet.

"The scroll is in Temple Ghôlish because that is the language needed to understand it. If she tried to translate it into Dwarven some of the meaning would not carry over properly and it would become unperdictable/unstable. If you would like you can return with her to her city in the southeast and she will take the time to teach you Temple Ghôlish or she could give you one of her priests and have him/her teach you. You would need to promise to protect the priest though and send him/her back safely should you no longer need the help.

I can provide either option or both as a vote should you wish."
    Cant we just schedule meting in dreaming? And i believe that discussing all matters related ghols alliance should be limited to dreaming and mby talking mice.

Now some comments on rest.
    If we wish to make some illuminati thing i believe we have one strong candidate in Mayer. Lilli might be receptive depending on how she will be realised and how was treated. Albreht perhaps? Unlikely. Depending on pragmatism and resolving issue with Lilly.
    I love such epic turns. Makes thing more interesting for all GM included. Plot thickens. :lol:

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, you would need to convince Morpheus that it is worth his time to connect you for the lessons though.

Give him some reason to want to do it and give Nanshe a reason to go through with it and meeting in the Dreaming to learn her language(s) should be doable.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    How hard was the roll anyway and am I correct in guessing that it's not long until Derryth has another increase in charisma between this, Thais lessons, and song magic? It's going to be pretty funny when Derryth comes back to Muirthemne with like 6-7 cha and makes everyone wonder what the hell happened to her.

Incidentally, when is Thais going to have an increase to Charisma? What would it even take for her charisma to increase? I guess the song magic is taking things to a new level but it's hard to conceive of any challenges at Thais's degree of charisma. So far her background was prostitution and she's been involved in a lot of politicking and tense negotiations now (which I believe are new experiences, for what it's worth).

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The roll was difficult for Derryth (it would have been impossible with your starting stats and skills) but you just managed it. It was not the most difficult roll Derryth has had but it was probably still in the top twenty.

It is likely that as long as Derryth continues to exercise her CHA it will continue to rise though the rate at which it will increase the CHA stat will likely slow somewhat once she starts to really close the gap between herself and her better half.

For the moment Thaïs is acting as Derryth's instructor in all things CHA related. With her 6 WIS you are not getting as big of a bonus as you could be but her 9 CHA does still have a large effect on Derryth and is probably the single most important factor (only really rivaled by the ladies' shared memories). So, as long as the two of them remain together and on good terms you will benefit from her influence and a steady stream of CHA points.

Well, every point put into a stat marks a significant improvement for the individual in question. I believe somewhere back at the beginning of the CYOA I listed what the numbers vaguely translated to and noted that each increase was something like an order of magnitude above the one before it. So it actually requires fewer CHA points to go from a 2 CHA (terrible) all the way to 6 CHA (slightly above average) than it would to go from a 9 CHA (once in a generation talent) to a 10 CHA (Fallen Lord/God tier talent).

She is still picking up points at a steady pace but it will take a lot for her to tick over into a natural ten just like it will take a fair bit for Derryth to raise her INT or WIS to a nine without the proper mentors.

For example, I would say that as things stand, and given the company Taide keeps, she is more likely to match Derry's other stats (STR increase to 4, CON increase to 6, WIS increase to 8) than she is to hit a CHA 10 on her own.

To reach a ten in a stat without outside help would usually take a lifetime of work in fields related to the stat in question. If she does well at politics/seduction/etc for several decades then she might eventually find her way to a CHA 10 naturally but it will take more than a year or a couple months of effort.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Grimgravy:
    1)C ii, iii, v
    2)B
    3)A>Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

Baltika9:
    1)A
    2)A
    3)A
    4)A
    5)x
    6)x
    7)x

Absinthe:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A>F
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

Nevill:
    1)A
    2)x
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiii

Kz3r0:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)B
    7)Aiv

Jester:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A
    4)B
    5)B
    6)x
    7)x

Karwelas:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)G
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)B, Aiv

archaen:
    1)A
    2)A
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

Azira:
    1)C iii, iv, v
    2)B
    3)F>Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

asxestos
    1)A
    2)B
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

8 votes A

7 votes B
    2 votes A
    1 vote undecided

5 votes A
    1 vote F

Post Flop:
    5 votes A

9 votes B
    1 vote A

5. Spoils of War: Bii - Claim the possessions of the vermillion, green and amber mages but not their Watcher stones.
    1 vote undeclared

6. The Pyrite Empress/Grand Conspiracy for Peace! : D - Postpone committing to anything until you are done in the south.
    3 votes D
    1 vote B
    7 votes undeclared

7. Lilli: Aiv - Tell Nanshe that giving Albrecht back his daughter is a good gesture to persuade House Albrecht (the ruling house of the dwarves) to de-escalate the dwarf-ghol war. Also try to persuade Albrecht on this front and open up the possibility of a greater heal ritual for Enki later when matters to the south have been settled.
    4/5 votes for A: (3 votes Aiv, 1 vote Aiii)
    1/5 votes for B: (1 vote B general)
    5 votes undeclared

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    My point is that 'old' and 'new' Eberhardts are different movements, with different kinds of people backing them.

Mayer is still a dwarf, and he still hates ghols. We should tread carefully here. There either should be a lot of money involved, or he should be roped in through Morpheus.

I am pretty sure that Lilli was treated as you would expect a dwarf to be treated in a gholish community. That is, like an Auschwitz victim. I don't quite hold much hope for her understanding of our cause. In fact, I am in favor of just erasing the last 15 years from her memory depending on how bad things are. I don't want to spread the message of hate. :SJW:

I am very uneasy about the choice to involve Albrecht. I guess if we resolve the situation with Lilli and get him to swear on the grave of his ancestors that he will do whatever we ask of him... it might just be possible. But otherwise I would settle for manipulating him into doing something without telling him the exact reasons why it is that way.

I keep thinking that should we be open about it with the wrong people, we'll soon find one or the other secret service in our office.

^ Top  
  17. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    I want to avoid starting our own Illuminati, really. Albrecht is a pragmatic dwarf so if Nanshe does this, we might be able to get the royal house to agree to de-escalate racial tensions of their own accord. That would be best.

And my point is that we are one of the few people who see it that way. The Brannons would most likely consider them to be the same allies as before, even if they are going about things in a different way now. They certainly would not accept our word on it. And given the frameup the Eberhardts received, they'd probably be dismissive of these accusations in general.

This is why I prefer 3A. Because I suspect the empire will resume its support of the Eberhardts. And as Fangshi said, the empire's policy towards the dwarves is mainly determined by the Brannons.

Or we could restore his wife's mind, once we figure out how.

^ Top  
  18. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    6D
    7Aiv

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Actrually, I am interested in what would it take for Thais to raise her WIS stat.

I was surprised it was her STR and CON that were affected - we aren't doing a lot of physical work, though it may be due to the fact that we are constantly exhausting ourselves. On the other hand, Taide has had a hand in a lot of our crazier plans, which I think is what corresponds to the INT/WIS stats. Given the shared memories, our general similarities, and our common activities, I thought this would be the stats we'll be exercising most.

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    She does not usually help you create your plans though. Generally speaking she uses her CHA (and sometimes INT) to help them succeed but the plans themselves come from Derryth (with input from Berty, Ceannard, your Albrecht captains and every now and then Lyssa).

It is also much easier to gain a point in STR when your STR is 2 than it is to up WIS from 6 to 7 (same goes for CON). She needs to do less to have an effect for those stats and even though you do have reasonably long periods of downtime your lives are far more active than hers was before she met you.

WIS is actually the stat she has used least and it has grown slower than all of her physical stats. The only other stats that are growing slower for her are INT and CHA as they are already quite a bit above average.

Now that she has the puzzle box though (and Derryth's nightly coaching) she will likely receive a steady stream of WIS points in much the same way as Derryth receives CHA points from her.

I will finally have time to finish off the interlude tonight, when I post it I will close the votes.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    Grimgravy:
    1)C ii, iii, v
    2)B
    3)A>Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

Baltika9:
    1)A
    2)A
    3)A
    4)A
    5)x
    6)D
    7)A

Absinthe:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A>F
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

Nevill:
    1)A
    2)x
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiii

Kz3r0:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)B
    7)Aiv

Jester:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)A
    4)B
    5)B
    6)x
    7)x

Karwelas:
    1)A
    2)B
    3)G
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)B, Aiv

archaen:
    1)A
    2)A
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

Azira:
    1)C iii, iv, v
    2)B
    3)F>Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)D
    7)Aiv

asxestos
    1)A
    2)B
    3)Gi
    4)B
    5)Bii
    6)x
    7)x

8 votes A

7 votes B
    2 votes A
    1 vote undecided

5 votes A
    1 vote F

Post Flop:
    5 votes A

9 votes B
    1 vote A

1 vote undeclared

7 votes D
    1 vote B
    2 votes undeclared

8/8 votes for A: (6 votes Aiv, 1 vote Aiii, 1 vote A general)
    1/8 votes for B: (1 vote B general)
    2 votes undeclared

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So, about this letter I keep talking about.

I think I have the first draft ready:
    Letter to the Turkish Sultan God-Emprah (open)
    Your Majesty,

We are the appointed Heroes of the Dwarven Kingdom, Derryth ó Foghladh and Thais of Scales. Please excuse us if you find our writing too bold, as we have more experience on the battlefield than we do in the court. You have probably heard of us, either from reports by your agents in the Kingdom, or from the stories told by Mr. Damh Brannon. From what we hear, these stories paint us as vicious criminals, demon worshippers, followers of the Dark Gods, and agents of the Dark.

We would like to assure you that we are not.

Our latest escapades in the Kingdom have left many wondering about our possible motives and any hidden agendas we might have had. The truth is, as always, is both simpler and more complex than the wildest speculations.

We owe our lives to the House of Albrecht. There is nothing more to it.

We have unknowingly become involved in the political conflict the very next day after we entered the city of Myrgard, fresh from our run-in with an army of undead. One of the Eberhardts' divisions was running an illegal operation at the time. Being of an adventurous sort who always poke their noses where they do not belong, we have landed right in the middle of it and have put a stop to what we thought was an act by a ring of criminals. We have had no idea who the Eberhardts were by then, and even less of an idea that the operation was run by them.

It is then when they took a notice of us. Displeased with our meddling in their underground affairs, they sought to punish us. A pair of no-name mages with no connections in the city seemed like an easy target. They would have succeeded, too, were it not for Albrecht's people who have found us in a nick of time. After learning from the King that the criminals and our would-be murderers were also the biggest detractors to the Crown who threatened to depose and kill the very person who saved us, there was only one path we could take.

We have infiltrated the Eberhardts compound and procured enough evidence about their activities to have them hanged. It didn't help their cause that their ranks were also infiltrated by the agents of the Dark Gods. A right spin put on these facts have ensured their swift demise alongside with their allies.

It will have to be said: we do not regret our actions. Albrecht has always shown himself a competent and a benevolent ruler, and a staunch defender of the Light as well. There is no shame in helping him retain the throne. Nor do we think that a revolution and the ensuing civil war are a good idea when the Watcher's forces are ravaging the countryside and the Spider Goddess waits only for an opening to usurp more power for her dark goals. We have stood with Albrecht in all things and against everything that would harm the Kingdom, and we will continue to do so.

If there is one thing we regret, though, it is seeing the relationships between the Empire and the Kingdom sour as a result of this mess.

We are aware that Mr. Brannon did not act out of malice in his support of the Eberhardt movement, and that he had the intention to make the Kingdom more resilient to the threat of being overtaken by the followers of the Dark and thus ensure the safety of Cath Bruig's borders. Now, we may be more soldiers than politicians, and may be not qualified to judge what measures are deemed appropriate for such a task, but it is our opinion that trying to murder a long-standing ally who have supported war efforts against the Dark twice in the last 60 years, at a time when his country is being invaded by the undead, IS NOT HOW YOU DO IT.

One just does not stab their old friend in the back in the hopes that the new one will be better.

Albrecht was furious after the Embassy was closed in response to the trial of the Eberhardts, as it was seen as a gesture that Cath Bruig disapproves of the failure of the plot to dethrone the King. For a ruler that have stood with the Empire in its darkest hour it must have felt like a betrayal. Words have been said that should have better been left unspoken, and the situation deteriorated to the unfortunate state we are seeing today.

Even worse is the fact that everyone is too busy justifying their outrage at the events to see the bigger picture. The estrangement of our respective countries benefits no one but our common enemies.

We are greatly distressed to see that a disagreement over the kind of policies our countries should pursue to be better allies against the Dark have resulted in such a disaster that runs contrary to the goals of every party involved. I am sure that nobody wants for the current developments to continue, least of all us. Cath Bruid and the Kingdom have watched each other's back for millennia, and rest assured that we would like nothing more than to keep it that way.

We feel that it is our responsibility, as of the ones who have involuntarily caused this cooling of relations, to make an attempt at mending them.

As Your Majesty may be aware of, the Kingdom is currently not in its best shape. We've lost contact with the south, and there are reports of various groups laying siege to the old capital of Stoneheim:

- The Watcher's forces, having suffered a great number of casualties lately, including the loss of the Fallen Lord's Great Temple in the north, are desperate to take a hold in the Kingdom.
    - The Eberhardt rebellion was subverted through the agents of the Spider Goddess. They claim they have resurrected the Eberhardt, while in reality their leader is a spider demon. They seek to make use of the reputation the movement had to redirect support by people who are unsure of Albrecht to their Dark Goddess.
    - The ghol clans, deciding that the Kingdom has worse things to worry about, have launched their own invasion.
    - Finally, there are rumors of the resurrection of the Great Mage Mazzarin who have decided to have a rematch with his nemesis. While these rumors are hard to verify, the scouts tell of the demonic hordes laying waste to the land while fighting the undead - which is something that is hard to explain otherwise.

I wish that Your Majesty understand this: there is no better ally for the Empire than Albrecht. Regardless of what one may think of him, all the other forces vying for the control of the Dwarven Kingdom are objectively worse.

No one want the Watcher to win and turn the Kingdom into the land of the dead from which he would strike at Cath Bruig.

The Eberhardt rebellion is now run by the Spider Cult, whose Dark Goddess has no love for Your Majesty. The Kingdom will never be trustworthy while it is ruled by her puppets.

We do not think Your Majesty would want to have his Empire border with the lands of the ghols directly either, having seen how easily they are converted to the cause of the Fallen Lords.

And while we have no idea of the goals the Great Mage pursues, I do not think they fully coincide with those of Your Majesty.

And should Albrecht manage to prevail and overcome his adversaries alone, what then? The dwarves have a long memory and take debts more seriously than anyone. All they would remember that when Cath Bruig was struck by the Soulblighter, they came to their aid, but when merely a year later the Watcher assaulted their lands, no help was forthcoming from their neighbour. Why bother with maintaining an amiable relationship with an unfaithful 'ally' when they have just proven they can stand strong on their own? We fear that the chance of repairing the ties between our countries would truly be lost then.

We ask that Your Majesty see this as an opportunity to lend a hand to their friend in need, and help us leave this unfortunate business behind.

That is not to say that there are no other benefits that might make it worthwhile for Cath Bruig to interfere.

We have mentioned the return of the Watcher several times now. After Your Majesty have trapped him in stone and the warriors of the Legion hacked him to pieces, many have thought they have seen the last of him. Sadly, this was not meant to be. For the last 60 year the archmage have amassed a truly staggering amount of horrors under his command, and have incorporated in his ranks the forces that were left after the Soulblighter's defeat. He seeks to return from oblivion back into the world of the living.

He may be close to his goal.

We have encountered one of his servants, a nearly indestructible female necromancer that seem to be pregnant with a child. This child seems to raise extreme concerns among the forces of the Spider Goddess who spares no expense to try and kill it, and the Watcher's forces who throw away armies in trying to protect it at all costs. We do not know this for certain, but we are led to believe that the archmage may seek to reincarnate himself through the child.

We would like to do anything in our power to prevent this.

The Watcher has already lost most of his armies to our skirmishes. His strongest - and perhaps the only - remaining army is the one in the south. It is our belief that a decisive strike could put an end to the Fallen Lord once and for all and free the lands of man of the scourge that have lasted for untold thousands of years.

We have got our hands on an artefact that is said to be able to kill Gods. Seeing how some of the mages can attain power similar to that of the Dark Gods, we suspect that it might also kill archmages. Using it is currently beyond our capabilities, but if we could think of anyone who may be trusted with such power, that would be Your Majesty.

Should you choose to respond, please write back to King Albrecht.

Finally, we know that Mr. Brannon rarely leaves Your Majesty's side. We would like to take a chance to address him personally.

We have heard Mr. Damh Brannon say that words mean little to him, and actions mean everything.

If it was not for Colin's and Eagle's help, we may have perished that day. We recognize that. We can not return Colin to you, but what we can do is bring justice to his murderer.

We would like to inform you that of Nov. 15th the Watcher's general who have organized the assault on the Royal Palace of Myrgard and the one ultimately responsible for Colin's death no longer walks the land. Having cheated death by Eagle's blade and two subsequent deaths by our hands at Fort Blackrock, he was finally cornered by our forces and have been permanently disposed of.

Colin have arrived in the Kingdom to seek out the killer of his brother, not to protect it, but he was able to put his personal goals and grievances aside and do the right thing in the face of the greater threat, even though it cost him his life. We believe that we can honor his decision and his sacrifice by doing the same.

We are not the enemies of the Empire, and we do not wish to be yours, if we can avoid it.

Citizens of the Cath Bruig Empire and
    Heroes of the Dwarven Kingdom,
    Derryth ó Foghladh and Thais of Scales.​

It is not final (if anyone objects to certain parts of it), and is mostly modular. Here are the topics it contains:
    - Explanation of our part in the whole Eberhardt business in the Kingdom, with the more sensitive parts omitted.
    - Explanation of our position on the matter and our desire to reconcile the two powers.
    - Explanation of what the Kingdom is currently facing in the south and why is it bad for Cath Bruig
    - Allusions to the fact that whether anyone likes Albrecht and monarchy or not, they are the best remaining option for the alliance.
    - (I seriously struggled with the temptation to say that if anyone likes the Republic that much, let them start with their own house :lol:)
    - Mention of the possibility of the Watcher's resurrection.
    - Mention of the spearhead as a permanent solution to the Watcher problem.
    - Finally, there is a portion of the letter I dedicated to Damh Brannon as an attempt to appeal to his better side using what the man himself thinks is important. It might smooth our differences, or it might blow up in our faces, no way to be sure but to try.

Anyone wants to comment on it?

It's not like I don't see the difficulties and problems this decision might pose, but my logic is pretty simple. An ally in the south > no ally in the south. I'd rather risk facing a potential problem than outright die.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    ^ Top  
  22. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    6 D
    7 B>A iv

^ Top  
  23. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I'm not sold on the idea of the letter, but I'm sure you should change the part about "self proclaimed heroes." I'm pretty sure the king or his people did the proclaiming.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Done.

This title is so cheesy, I did not want to call myself that withot making it known that we are aware of the fact. :)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.