Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Kz3r0

Arcane
So Alric's wife is a Brannon, more reason to avoid to write any letter now.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's more reason to try and present ourselves as an ally to the Empire for me. If you remember, Brannons' beef with us was that they thought us sabotaging the Kingdom and the Empire with it.

Which, incidentally, brings me back to the letter.

Someone is missing the fact that we will have to return to Muirthemne one day. We can't ignore the issue forever and pretend it will go away by itself.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, I am not the one to cry about the spilt milk. If people think this is premature, so be it.

But we will need to address our reputation somehow, and the sooner we do it, the better.

I just don't hear a lot of ideas on the subject.

Nevill

Arcane
He is big man now. Got his office and shit. Don't have time for his less fortunate colleagues anymore. :(

No, seriously, what do you need him for?

Baltika9

Arcane
Overwhelming firepower, for one. I really liked your plan to force him to do what we want him to do with clever rhetoric, I think that idea has potential. With all the shit we have going on down here, I want all the support we can reasonably get on our side. Even if we just get him to calm down the demons, that will still be a bonus.

Nevill

Arcane
The wording on the option was :retarded:. That caused people to back down from it.

But if that makes it better, I intend to revisit this option once we get a chance to see what his demon army is really doing in his absence to have something to report to him if they are really misbehaving.

And he is probably busy now, so I am not sure what firepower you are talking about. He is not going to stay and hunt the Watcher's armies.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think ousting the Watcher's army and resolving the situation in Stoneheim ourselves will be best for improving our reputation when we return to Muirthemne, really.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
What would make us different from the Deceiver, the Spider Goddess and the ghols, who all have it against the Watcher without being affiliated with the Empire or the Light?

"A enemy of my enemy is more often than not also my enemy." Why would it improve our reputation with the Empire?

My understanding is that fixing relations will have to involve a compromise - we apologize for the mess on our and Albrecht's behalf and explain that we are not against the Empire, and the Empire sends us the help we need.

It does not work when one side does not need the other. Why would Albrecht seek alliance with the Empire that sought to kill him when he is perfectly capable of fighting the Watcher, the Eberhardts and the ghols alone? Down with the Emperor who left the dwarves for dead and never offered help!

It might make things worse.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Because there are necromancers, ghols, demons, and cultists in Stoneheim and they are all our enemies here. It's a pretty blatant Light vs Dark battlefield with us on the side of Light. So I think doing well here would do a lot to improve our reputation.

Also, Fangshi, I have a couple of ideas right now:
  1. I'd like to start teaching Caoilainn some basic magic. For now, I just want to teach her the Calm Casting spell. I think this spell is most likely to solve the issue that Caoilainn's disposition is poorly suited to magic (and probably make her a more tolerable person in general). I'd also like to teach her some basics of recognizing and detecting non-obvious magics (so that she can give us extra rolls).
  2. I'd like to teach the Strengthen Will ritual to the Seekers. This one should probably be up for a vote, but I think it would improve our firepower and relations considerably if we can get them to mass-prepare Strengthen Will rituals. Also, we still have preparations for Thais/Derryth/Lyssa to perform the Strengthen Will ritual, correct?
  3. We should also consider collecting suitable objects to put Path of Intellect on our Seekers.
  4. I notice that a while ago Derryth was tempted by dark offers of reviving the dead. Can D&T create a mental block against that by reminding themselves that Tyrvard & Co died in the first place because someone decided to make a deal with a dark god to try to revive the dead? It would be more than a little ironic if they accept the same deal that killed their friends in the first place.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
It's a pretty blatant Light vs Dark battlefield with us on the side of Light.
Again, fighting against the Dark does not make one pro-Light. The followers of the Dark often fight between themselves.

The Spider Goddess is fighting the Watcher, and she is not a friend of the Empire. Will the Empire celebrate her as its ally if the Eberhardts take Stoneheim and destroy the Watcher's forces? Will it embrace the spider cultists?

No? Then what makes you feel that if we do the same, we will be welcome there?

Damh says that we are a servants of the dark powers who seek to subjugate the kingdom to their will. If we destroy the others, we will certainly clear our competition, but how would this fact suddenly make us pro-Empire?

I am trying to stress that sitting on our hands and hoping that people will notice how good we are does not work.

Absinthe

Arcane
The Light is mainly defined by protecting people, heroics, and fighting the dark. All the things we would be doing. If someone is determined to ascribe foul motives to these actions, they can, but given heroics, a consistent ability to deliver results, and a history of fighting all manner of Dark forces, that would make us a textbook case of Light.

What's your point, that you can't kill all negative rumors that seek to assume the worst about you? Sure, you can't. But we would probably win over most of the people considering the dark rumors when we solve their mess in Stoneheim.

Nevill

Arcane
The Light is mainly defined by protecting people, heroics, and fighting the dark. All the things we would be doing. If someone is determined to ascribe foul motives to these actions, they can, but given heroics, a consistent ability to deliver results, and a history of fighting all manner of Dark forces, that would make us a textbook case of Light.
You mean, everything the spider demon Eberhardt is doing?

'k. A textbook case of the Light, indeed.

What's your point, that you can't kill all negative rumors that seek to assume the worst about you?
My point is that taking Stoneheim by itself does not improve our standing with the Empire. We will still need to explain ourselves, and we will still need to get Alric and Albrecht to cooperate. It is easier to do now while they clearly need each other, and it would be harder to do then, where there will be no imminent danger.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Also, Fangshi, I have a couple of ideas right now:
  1. I'd like to start teaching Caoilainn some basic magic. For now, I just want to teach her the Calm Casting spell. I think this spell is most likely to solve the issue that Caoilainn's disposition is poorly suited to magic (and probably make her a more tolerable person in general). I'd also like to teach her some basics of recognizing and detecting non-obvious magics (so that she can give us extra rolls).
  2. I'd like to teach the Strengthen Will ritual to the Seekers. This one should probably be up for a vote, but I think it would improve our firepower and relations considerably if we can get them to mass-prepare Strengthen Will rituals. Also, we still have preparations for Thais/Derryth/Lyssa to perform the Strengthen Will ritual, correct?
  3. We should also consider collecting suitable objects to put Path of Intellect on our Seekers.
  4. I notice that a while ago Derryth was tempted by dark offers of reviving the dead. Can D&T create a mental block against that by reminding themselves that Tyrvard & Co died in the first place because someone decided to make a deal with a dark god to try to revive the dead? It would be more than a little ironic if they accept the same deal that killed their friends in the first place.

1. Sure you can attempt that. I will add it to the list of questions on the next update as it will take time away from the ladies' current course of study.

2. Yes, this will require a vote and I will add it to the list of questions on the next update. It will eat up some of your time in the evenings (that D&T would normally use for themselves) but it should be easy enough to do.

3. Hmm, the Seekers might have a few pieces of unenchanted jewelry you can use maybe and you could send Ceannard back with a letter for Albrecht requesting such items. It might not be the easiest thing to accomplish quickly but I will see what I can add for the update.

4. Maybe not a full block but they can certainly work on preparing themselves for what the demons in the void might tempt them with. It would not be a foolproof guarantee but it might help if they ever have to enter the void again (either alone or together). It will take up time in your evenings though so it will also come down to a vote.

I think I will just give two general activity questions when the update goes live, sort of like this:

1. What do you want to do in the evening/physical activities?

A. Work on your spells.
B. Teach the Seekers.
C. Enchant more items.

etc...

2. What do you want to do in the night/dreams/mental activities?

A. Learn musical magic
B. Analyse your dreams/nightmares for weaknesses that might be exploited
C. Teach Caolainn some magic.
D. Get some actual sleep so you can focus without going mad. ;)

and so on...

Nevill

Arcane
Yes, pretty much this. I want Taide to master (or at least learn) the Warrior's Mask. Possibly Lys as well.

Teaching Caoilainn Calm Casting is a worthwhile idea, but useless to us now, as we don't need her as a mage yet, and there are far more pressing issues. I would prefer it to happen in the background sometime after our victory.

And we definitely should work on our musical magic, it might be our only competitive advantage.

Also, why none of the nightly activities mention Sexpert training? ;) It will prove an invaluable tool should we choose to enslave the nations with lesbomancy.

But why is it split into evening and nightly activities? What are we doing in the mornings and noons that our captains can't manage by themselves? I thought we would have this time on the road fully free.

I would teach the Seekers, given an opportunity, just not the Strengthen Will spell, which will be useless without Foci that are hard to produce, but our enchantment spells. We have veteran soldiers and mercenariues, and it would help improve the overall power of our army if they have a top-notch gear to match their experience.

I am not concerned about the Seekers turning against us, as you have to be completely :retarded: to anger 20 battlemages and doubly so to fight them. If that happens, we are dead, so why worry about it? It's not like the enchantments - that are mostly support spells - are worse than a Fireball to the face, too.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Also, why none of the nightly activities mention Sexpert training? ;) It will prove an invaluable tool should we choose to enslave the nations with lesbomancy.

Ah... hmm... well you see, you are still using Derry's old tent. There is simply not enough room for expert Sexpert training I am afraid.

Also, even if you commandeered a bigger tent the girls are still sleeping in it with you so it would not be moral to corrupt their young minds that way. :smug:

Nevill said:
But why is is split into evening and nightly activities? What are we doing in the mornings and noons that our captains can't manage by themselves? I thought we would have this time on the road fully free.

Well they are just test questions, the difference is not really to be found in the time of day. It is more in that the first set is done while you are awake and the second set is done while you are asleep.

If you really want to try and do more than one thing in either question I can certainly rephrase them to allow for multiple selections but you will not generally get much done that is personally useful during the morning/day. Your mornings will be taken up with applying your regular enchantments and going over the evening/nightly reports. You will then have to pack up the camp, load into the carriage and continue on your way. It is unlikely that you will accomplish much while in the carriage as there will be five of you in there and it is hardly a peaceful and spacious location conducive to serious work/study. Afternoons will then be spent going over the reports from your scouts and ensuring the camp is established to your liking.

When/if you join up with the army a good chuck of your time will also be consumed trying to root out spies or generally attending to command meetings/duties.

This leaves you the evenings and the nights free, provided there are no attacks or other surprises that could easily eat into your free time.

Now, if you wish you can have Berty handle all practical matters and simply lock yourselves away in the carriage/tent unless something important happens. You won't learn anything about leading men on campaign this way so your leadership skills will not improve at all, and if you turn down staff meetings when you join the army it is unlikely to win you any friends, but it should give you more time to work on magic/plotting if that sounds more appealing to you.

It is all about managing the tradeoffs, for every thing you pursue other avenues and opportunities are denied you. Choice and consequences and all that.

Anyway I can certainly add a question about how hands on/off you wish to be with your captains in the next update.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
It is unlikely that you will accomplish much while in the carriage as there will be five of you in there and it is hardly a peaceful and spacious location conducive to serious work/study.
We can meditate there. Better than depriving ourselves of sleep at nights.

Eh, we'll see.

I just want to manage our activities until we reach the army (3 to 4 days?), as it is a significant chunk of time that we might use for self-improvement.

Once reunited with the army, I think the situation will need to be reevaluated according to what we find there.

Absinthe

Arcane
Fangshi, about the jewelry...
The Path of Intellect - A difficult enchantment that sharpens the mind in general. This enchantment is often woven into jewelry but can be applied to anything. Provides a slight bonus to the intelligence of the wearer.
Given that it can be applied to anything and given that the Seekers aren't about to attend courtly functions, I wouldn't go out of our way to obtain jewelry for their enchantments. Also I want to manage our activities until we reach the army as well.

Teaching Caoilainn Calm Casting is a worthwhile idea, but useless to us now, as we don't need her as a mage yet, and there are far more pressing issues. I would prefer it to happen in the background sometime after our victory.
Well part of the point is that she might give us an extra roll here or there by detecting magic, but I wouldn't put a great deal of effort into this, true.

I would teach the Seekers, given an opportunity, just not the Strengthen Will spell, which will be useless without Foci that are hard to produce, but our enchantment spells. We have veteran soldiers and mercenaries, and it would help improve the overall power of our army if they have a top-notch gear to match their experience.
I would prioritize Strengthen Will because I am more worried about demons and shit than ground troops. We're good at blindsiding ground troops. We're not as good at dealing with a whole host of magical enemies. Those are the scary fuckers. If we teach the Seekers Strengthen Will, the point is that they will be able to produce the foci and perform the rituals on their own. Also Strengthen Will raises their Wis by 50% of base value, so I figure the Seekers would be much more capable in general (not just against mages) when the ritual is active.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
StWi requires a 2 hours ritual in preparation and lasts only for 12 hours. It is not very good for warfare when you do not have absolute control over a battlefield and can not dictate the enemy the exact time of when to engage.

Case in point - our preparations during the Blackrock siege were not of much use, as we didn't need the spell to kill Gullveig, and we didn't have time to cast it afterwards when the enemy army routed. Even if they didn't run and chose to attack us instead, we would not have the time to do it.

It is not that it can not be helpful, it is that it's too specific in its applications. I guess we'll see what people think about it when it is time to vote.

Fangshi

Arcane
Right, so the update is almost done... New Years took a bit more out of me than I thought it would... sucks getting old... :negative:

I should have it up within twelve hours or so. (Essentially it will be up as soon as I have time to read over it a few times, copy it over and add the options to it).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom