Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Absinthe

Arcane
I think everyone should flop to 2J to be honest. The payoff in getting our mornings back now that we're no longer spending that time enchanting our own gear should be huge. And the payoff in having an enchanted Seeker squad should be pretty good also. So I think that ought to be our first priority.

By the way, changing my vote to Metal>Vulgar Songs, like The Ball of Kiriemur (and I want to know them from every style). The angelic/ritualistic songs don't really fit us anyway.
Do you want to change to eclectic also? If you want to have us learn every style (and I have no objections to learning vulgar songs either) then that's pretty much a vote for Eclectic. Judging by people's preferences it seems with eclectic we'd go for traditional and metal and branch out some more.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, but what are we studying now? I think it would be beneficial for us to pick a starting point and roll with it, otherwise it would be like learning a bunch of different fighting styles from scratch at the same time, or jumping into the sciences without learning basic algebra first. I want us to pick a style to start off with and then branch off from there.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, the votes for evening occupations are all over the place now:

If it becomes a problem I might have to reorganize it but if no one can actually agree on what you should be doing then maybe the ladies should just sleep?

I am reluctant to impose results on the voters when they can not coordinate their own efforts.

:troll:

You all have time to figure it out on your own anyway. In another five hours or so I will close the vote to see if you bargain with Morpheus and after that I will give you another 24-48 hrs to make any changes you deem necessary.

Also added Azira's 3D which I missed the first time around.

Current Tally:

Absinthe:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.J
3.A
Part 2:
A: Focus on vocals, build up general familiarity with all instruments
B: Eclectic style

Kz3r0:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biii
3.A
Part 2:
A: Vocals
B: Celt-Folk-Metal

Baltika9:
Part 1:
1.C
2.A
3.A
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals and lead guitar, [others according to their inclinations?] or Derry on flute/supporting vocals, Taide on vocals/lute, Lys according to her inclination
B: Metal or Vulgar Songs

Azira:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.Bii
3.D - 1/2 sleep, 1/2 musical magic
Part 2:
A: Vocals and bagpipes
B: Eclectic

Karwelas:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biv
3.D
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals, Thaïs on bagpipes, Lyssa on lute
B: Heavy/Folk-Celtic Metal

Nevill:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Bii, I
3.D
Part 2:
A: Vocals for D&T
B: Eclectic - start with Folk and Metal

Jester:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.A (Derryth), H (ask Taide and Lys)
3.D
Part 2:
A: ?
B: ?

Part 1:
3 votes D
3 votes Biii
1 vote C

A 2/7 votes
B 4/7 votes:
i.
ii. 2/4 votes
iii. 1/4 votes
iv. 1/4 votes
H 1/7 votes (1 vote to have only Thaïs and Lyssa work on it)
I 1/7 votes
J 1/7 votes

4 votes D
3 votes A

Part 2:
A: Instruments:
Derryth:
Vocals - 6/6 votes
Guitar - 1/6 votes
Bagpipes - 1/6 votes
Flute - 1/6 votes
All Instruments - 1/6 votes

Thaïs:
Vocals - 5/6 votes
Bagpipes - 2/6 votes
Lute - 1/6 votes
Whatever she wants - 1/6 votes
All instruments - 1/6 votes

Lyssa:
Vocals - 3/6 votes
Bagpipes - 1/6 votes
Lute - 1/6 votes
Whatever she wants - 1/6 votes
All instruments - 1/6 votes

*General consensus seems to be that all three ladies should sing in some capacity. D&T in a leading role and Lys supporting perhaps? There is no clear consensus on what sort of instruments (if any) the group should play.

B: Style/Genre
Metal: 3 votes
2 votes Celtic/Folk Metal
1 vote Heavy Metal

Eclectic: 3 votes

*General consensus seems to be to go for a broad repertoire unconstrained by genre but to begin with folk/Celtic traditional music and metal.

Do you wish to trade TWM's page to Morpheus for all he knows on demons in Stoneheim:

Absinthe: Yes
Kz3r0: Yes
Karwelas: Yes
Nevill: Yes

4 votes Yes
0 votes No

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
1 B3 - if its hostile kill it and i doubt those are great M forces.
2 A - Derryth
H - Lyss Thais
3 D

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If it becomes a problem I might have to reorganize it but if no one can actually agree on what you should be doing then maybe the ladies should just sleep?
Well, that is what the vote is for - when you can't agree on something, the options that get the majority of votes win.

At this point it is about acknowledging the fact that people want to give the ladies individual orders, rather than tell them what to do as a group.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Well, that is what the vote is for - when you can't agree on something, the options that get the majority of votes win.

Right, and at the moment a slim majority wants to practice magic (4/7 votes for B). If you want to do something else then you will need to gather up more votes.

Nevill said:
At this point it is about acknowledging the fact that people want to give the ladies individual orders, rather than tell them what to do as a group.

Ah, your not voting for them as a group. You are voting for what Derryth is going to do except in cases where the option mentions help from others.

It is working fine from where I am sitting, unless the option makes specific mention of other participants it should be assumed you will do it alone. The other mages will do what they want unless you specifically request their help with a particular task and I don't see a problem from the results so far.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, there is a lukewarm interest in training the Seekers, yet a majority of the votes is for Derryth practicing her own magic.

Most of the choices do not mention Lyssa specifically, but the voters that choose to involve her in some capacity (me, Absinthe, Kz3r0, Karwelas, Jester) have her teach the enchantments to the mercenaries with 3/5 of the votes.

If we are only talking Derryth here, then we ignore that aspect altogether.

I see two solutions to this problem - either introduce a separate question 'do you want to teach the Seekers and if yes, who would you choose for the task' (and scrap them from the current choice), or just modify the existing one as stated above.

The first option might be the right call, as there may be people who may have strong reservations about teaching them in the first place.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, so I will close the vote for the letter. You give it to Morpheus and he gives you all he knows about demons in Stoneheim:

He takes you off to one side, away from his wife and your confederates, and he begins to tell you all he knows.

He begins with the demons that were present in Stoneheim before the attack:

"There is a six legged sorrow sucker clothed in the skin of a dwarven advocate/lawyer by the name of Audamar. He has a fondness for almonds and children and knows most of what is going on amongst the rich in the city by virtue of his profession. He is generally fairly social and easy to get along with but if confronted by someone that knows his identity he will attempt to pass himself off as a great demon lord. Do not be fooled, sorrow suckers are amongst the least powerful demons in existence. They are parasites, little, purple parasites, that burrow into a host's body behind the ear."

Other than Audamar there are only two other demons in the old city that Morpheus is aware of:

The first is a distant member of his family. A great, great, great, great grandson of his brother Phobetor. He is a demon masquerading as a bookseller in the slums of the first ring of the city. He is known as the Coughing Man, seems the air in the old city does not agree with him. He generally tries to pass for human using a few persistent illusions, more than enough to trick the poor and 'undesirable' he deals with on a daily basis, but there is a flaw in his illusions, they do not conceal his eyes which are amber in colour. You will know him if you see him without his enchantments, red horns, wings of shadow, amber eyes, that sort of thing. He might be hostile if you corner him but if you mention Morpheus by name he should at least give you a chance to explain yourself. Morpheus can guarantee nothing more than that.

The second demon he suggests you avoid. It is a 'Wormpile', a sentient hive of rather large insects that preys on the poor in the city. It is intelligent and you should be able to communicate with it if you really want to but it is eternally hungry and not terribly likely to listen to your words. He is not sure just how big the hive is though it has been active for maybe eight or nine hundred years in some form or another. It is afraid of fire, calls itself the Pale Lord.

Recently though the city has also come under attack by followers of the Goddess and they seem to be employing demons of some sort in their ranks. Twisted amalgams of spider and dwarf that seem to possess a startling ability to endure pain along with enhanced strength, speed and a variety of specialized abilities. As far as he can tell the city is still standing though between the undead, ghôls and cultists attacking it he is not too sure how long it will stand. The only weakness he has been able to tease out is that these demons do not do well under bright lights, it seems to daze them a little and make them sluggish. He is not sure if that is a result of the demon in them or the dwarf, maybe it is the combination of the two.

That is all he knows about the demons in Stoneheim, and all the information he has been able to confirm through reliable sources however he has heard rumours about an army of 'Hunters' operating to the southeast of the city. They seem to be hostile to just about anything they encounter. They are faster and stronger than a dwarf, have the ability disappear seemingly at will and can 'bewitch' individuals with their voices. They also are said to practice 'peculiar arts' though he has not been able to extract an example of such arts from the dreams of the soldiers he has interrogated. They seem to be of variable size or possess the ability to distort the senses of others, he is not sure. He is not sure what they are called.

They also seem to possess a number of hunting dogs and birds as well as smaller demons that aid them in their hunts. Unfortunately they are like nothing Morpheus has ever heard of and he has no idea what plane they may have come from. In fact, he suspects that they may not be demons at all.

Nevill said:
The first option might be the right call, as there may be people who may have strong reservations about teaching them in the first place.

Ah, sure, I will remove all Seeker training options from question 2 and make them a separate question.

New Question.

Part 1:

4. Training the Seekers - Do you want to teach the Seekers your enchantments? To teach a few will likely take a day, to teach them all will likely take two and once they know them they could take over enchanting your equipment, saving you time in the mornings. However do you really want to share your magical knowledge with outsiders? It will also use time in the short term that you could spend on something else. (If you choose to train them then be sure to specify which of your mages will do it, if you assign multiple people to the task it will likely go quicker at the expense of tying up more people).

A) No - you will keep your spells to yourself.

B) Yes - you will share your knowledge and let the Seekers take over enchanting duties.

i. Train a few (probably one day, maybe two)

ii. Train them all (probably two days, maybe one if it goes well)

C) freeform

Absinthe

Arcane
Okay that info pretty much rules out 1A (they're nobody's friend) and 1Bii (too fast for a retreat to work). That leaves it between 1Bi (defend) and 1Biii (attack) I think. Out of the two I would favor 1Biii since our Seekers are specialized into offense and these hunters love circling around and picking off stragglers.

4Bii (Derryth, Thais, Lyssa). One or two days (should be 1 if we put everyone on it) is pretty damn quick, getting our mornings back for extra training time would accelerate our progress on training, plus it would make our Seekers more powerful, and we could use the +rep. Especially since they would probably be inclined to share some of their magics with us in turn. Plus we're just sharing well-known dwarven magics, not our combat magics or secrets.

I want to put everyone on it because the sooner the Seekers can enchant our gear, the better, and we get more +rep this way.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The demons are:
Ignoring dwarven civilians
Preferring to engage the undead

If you just think about who could summon them and why they did it now, Mazzarin is the only logical choice.

I have no idea why they should be our friends for us to pass each other.

4Bii. Lyssa.

Also, I will change my 2nd vote to Bii (if Lys is teaching the Seekers) > Biv (if she is free)

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1)D
2)A
3)D>A
4)A

A)D- Bagpipes O' doom T - vocals L- drums > whatever she fancies.
B)While I can certainly see driving our enemies to madness with Gangnam Style, I support the whole Celtic folk stuff provided we do NOT River dance. Should our magic drive our enemies to river dance, that would be acceptable.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kz3r0 Grimgravy, okay, this makes no sense. Why are you guys voting 4A? This actually opens up more time for our characters.
Sharing magical knowledge is not something true mages do, besides, the Seekers can very well turn against us if some of ours deal will be uncovered.
Also, letting them to enchant our stuff is inherently dangerous, who knows how theyy can spice it up.

Absinthe

Arcane
We're not even sharing our own magic. We're sharing well-known dwarven magics. These are not even combat magics. Also, the Seekers are less likely to turn against us if we win them over, I don't recommend cutting any deals with demons while the Seekers are with us anyhow (Nevill, this is the other reason why I oppose A or D), and anyone who tries to incriminate us will be in league with the wrong people (and probably some sort of cultist) anyway.

Letting the Seekers enchant our stuff isn't dangerous because last I checked our amulets make us quite capable at detecting magic (and we will be detecting at point-blank here) and we are teaching the Seekers the exact magics they will be using to enchant our stuff. Enchantments we have mastered. Meaning, we should be able to detect whether they enchanted the magics as we taught it to them or are doing something else. Fangshi, could you confirm this? We should be able to tell if they tamper with the enchantments or make additions etc., right?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I heard you the first ten times.

The negotiations can only work if the demons are really summoned by Mazzarin. If the Seekers have a problem with us after that, I will recommend them to take it to the Great Mage. I am sure he will be happy to explain himself to them in great detail.

I can see how giving our stuff for someone else to enchant may be a stupid move (you'll never know if they cast explosive runes on the items instead until it is too late), but I don't have a problem with the Seekers enchanting items for our mercenaries and their guardians.

I agree that this is not a unique magical knowledge, and that it is less dangerous to us than the spells the Seekers already know. It does us more good than bad to teach them.

because last I checked our amulets make us quite capable at detecting magic
Well, you might want to check again, because I don't see it written anywhere.

Absinthe

Arcane
Morpheus suspects that they are not demons at all. In that case, they would not be summoned by Mazzarin.

As for the amulets, I'm talking about this quote:
She is not sure how it works but it allows the other necklace bearers to detect her presence if they are close enough. It also allows the Watcher's creatures to find them when necessary.

Derryth theorizes that you were able to detect her necklace because of your necklaces. That somehow the spells Mazarin used in his necklaces allow you to pick up signals you should not be able to and at a great distance. Thaïs manages to discretely ask if Nanshe could sense you coming as well.

Nanshe says no, your arrival came as a complete surprise to her though once she realized you where mages she quickly deduced who you were.

Either she is lying to you or Mazzarin really is the best mage in the world and his little collars are simply better than the Watcher's.

Nevill

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Morpheus suspects that they are not demons at all. In that case, they would not be summoned by Mazzarin.
How does that follow?

Why would Mazzarin's summons/creations/what-have-you absolutely need to be demons? Did he show some kind of preference for them?

We suspect they are connected to Mazzarin, whatever they are. And if they aren't demons, then the Seekers won't have a problem with them, right?

I'm talking about this quote:
We can detect the signal the Watcher's necklaces send. Makes sense, since the signal is designed to be broadcasted for miles to help the Watcher's Spec Ops locate the wearer at all times.

Nothing in this quote suggests that we can detect any other enchantments better than we could without our necklaces.

I guess a case can be made that we are familiar with certain enchantments more than with others, so if there is an alteration, we might sense it immediately, but it needs to be clarified with GM. There are also 'stealth' enchantments, like the one Mazzarin used to hide the signal our necklaces emanate. It is a risk.

It is not something I am too concerned about, though.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Fangshi, could you confirm this? We should be able to tell if they tamper with the enchantments or make additions etc., right?

You are familiar with those enchantments so if they make poor quality alterations to them then you will immediately be able to tell.

There are ways to alter spells in such a way that they are difficult to tell apart from regular copies of the same spells but it is not exactly an easy thing to do and you are largely limited to altering preexisting variables. For example you could play around with the enchantment length of the spell, it would still feel 99% the same but maybe it would end in half the time or something.

They would not be able to add additional effects without changing the nature of the spell, so for example they would not be able to put explosive spells on you and claim that they are simply places the riddles on your equipment. If they tried it would be trivial for you to detect the change. Depending on the nature of the new spell you might not be able to identify it right away/at all but you would know that it is there.

The amulets let you pick up on the signal Nanshe was emitting since it works on the same basic principles that your necklaces do and they allow you to detect each other without too much difficulty. They don't seem to work as a general magical detention device though.

There are spells that can mask/muffle the signal enchantments give off, one example ae the enchantments on your necklaces that emit a constant signal but one that has been made quite subtle.

Finally, if the Seekers cast enchantments on you then expect your magical presence/'fingerprint' to change dramatically from your current one. At the moment your people 'feel' vaguely like an amalgam of DT&L's magical signals with the odd older signal thrown in. You only register as yourselves when you begin actively casting. If the Seekers do all your active enchantments for you then you will register vaguely as a Seeker to anyone that can detect magical signals, at least until you cast around them.

Current Tally:

Absinthe:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.x
3.A
4.Bii (DT&L)
Part 2:
A: Focus on vocals, build up general familiarity with all instruments
B: Eclectic style

Kz3r0:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biii
3.A
4.A
Part 2:
A: Vocals
B: Celt-Folk-Metal

Baltika9:
Part 1:
1.C
2.A
3.A
4.x
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals and lead guitar, [others according to their inclinations?] or Derry on flute/supporting vocals, Taide on vocals/lute, Lys according to her inclination
B: Metal or Vulgar Songs

Azira:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.Bii
3.D
4.x
Part 2:
A: Vocals and bagpipes
B: Eclectic

Karwelas:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biv
3.D
4.x
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals, Thaïs on bagpipes, Lyssa on lute
B: Heavy/Folk-Celtic Metal

Nevill:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Bii>Biv(if Lys is free)
3.D
4.Bii Lyssa
Part 2:
A: Vocals for D&T, Lys according to her inclination
B: Eclectic - start with Folk and Metal

Jester:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.A (Derryth)
3.D
4.Bi (Taide & Lys)
Part 2:
A: ?
B: ?

Grimgravy:
Part 1:
1.D
2.A
3.D>A
4.A
Part 2:
A: D - Bagpipes, T - Vocals, L - Drums > whatever she wants
B: Celtic/Folk

Part 1:
4 votes D
3 votes Biii
1 vote C

A 3/8 votes
B 4/8 votes:
i.
ii. 2/4 votes
iii. 1/4 votes
iv. 1/4 votes

5 votes D
3 votes A

2 votes A
2 votes Bii (1 vote DT&L, 1 vote Lyssa)
1 vote Bi (1 vote T&L)

Part 2:
A: Instruments:
Derryth:
Vocals - 6/7 votes
Bagpipes - 2/7 votes
Guitar - 1/7 votes
Flute - 1/7 votes
All Instruments - 1/7 votes

Thaïs:
Vocals - 6/7 votes
Bagpipes - 2/7 votes
Lute - 1/7 votes
Whatever she wants - 1/7 votes
All instruments - 1/7 votes

Lyssa:
Vocals - 3/7 votes
Whatever she wants - 3/7 votes
Bagpipes - 1/7 votes
Lute - 1/7 votes
Drums - 1/7 votes
All instruments - 1/7 votes

*General consensus seems to be that all three ladies should sing in some capacity. D&T in a leading role and Lys supporting perhaps? There is no clear consensus on what sort of instruments (if any) the group should play.

B: Style/Genre
Metal: 3 votes
2 votes Celtic/Folk Metal
1 vote Heavy Metal

Eclectic: 3 votes
Folk/Celtic: 1 vote

*General consensus seems to be to go for a broad repertoire unconstrained by genre but to begin with folk/Celtic traditional music and metal.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The amulets let you pick up on the signal Nanshe was emitting since it works on the same basic principles that your necklaces do and they allow you to detect each other without too much difficulty.
I will need a clarification for that, I am afraid.

When you say the necklaces allow us to detect 'each other', who do you mean?

Nanshe couldn't detect us, and we couldn't easily trace Thais' necklace back in the Academy.

If the Seekers do all your active enchantments for you then you will register vaguely as a Seeker to anyone that can detect magical signals, at least until you cast around them.
That... might be of use. We may attempt to hide a tree in a forest, so to speak, and pass for one of our many mercenaries to avoid being singled out as the leaders of the group.

General consensus seems to be that all three ladies should sing in some capacity. D&T in a leading role and Lys supporting perhaps?
I'll add 'whatever she wants' for Lyssa's choice of instruments. I don't care if she sings (and she doesn't seem the type to attract much attention), so if she wants a background role, it is perfectly fine with me.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
When you say the necklaces allow us to detect 'each other', who do you mean?

Just ignore that, I was thinking of the bracelets and those operate on a different mechanic. I guess I am trying to do too many things at once on my end. ;)

Your bracelets let you detect each other through Caolainn. Your necklaces let you detect the Watcher's necklaces since they are essentially broadcasting an unprotected signal for TWM's hounds to track. In theory your necklace should also let you detect Taide and Lys since you all give out a slight signal but Mazzarin is the best for a reason and your signal is heavily protected. If you had to speculate you would say that Mazzarin likely has a spell specifically designed to detect your amulets so he can find your signals when needed.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Part 1: General Choices:

1. D) Operation: Two Ways
2. B) iii. Study with Lyssa.
3. D) Split your time equally between sleeping and learning musical magic.
4. B) i. Train a few (probably one day, maybe two)

Part II: Musical Magic

A) Train singing mages first. We can learn an instrument if the benefits of a specific ones comes apparent as we learn. I lean towards the fiddle or viola if we are to learn an instrument as it allows us to still sing and are small, easily portable instruments that cover human octaves so our singing spells should be cast-able through them.

B) Celtic metal

Nevill

Arcane
2. B) iii. Study with Lyssa.
But what would Thais do in that time?

One of my wet dreams is to teach her (and potentially Lyssa) the Warrior's Mask to have more options on the battlefield. Think of all the havoc armored elephants can bring!

It is also good as a contingency plan - if we rely on the spell as heavily as we tend to do, - as it is much harder to interrupt a Warrior's Mask cast by two mages.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Kz3r0 Grimgravy, okay, this makes no sense. Why are you guys voting 4A? This actually opens up more time for our characters.

I'm for 4A because we are teaching other mages something of great value for things that will benefit others directly, but us only indirectly. The bulk of what they enchant will go to the soldiers who wont be paying for them and likely will not return them. We seem to make terrible deals, paying much and getting getting a fraction in return. :decline: I know it will help in the coming battle, but I still don't like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom