Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Also, Fangshi, I recall that we got information a while ago about the Watcher's agents among the nobles in Myrgard. We're flushing those cultists out too, right? Not just the spider cultists?

Yeah, Timo and Mayer are on it. Any cultists that they find would be beneficial to neutralize will be neutralized.

Absinthe said:
Also, is it possible for our characters to practice meditating and passively meditating in those spare moments that fill the day just to help maintain their health and sanity? It is said meditating just 10 minutes a day improves one's health.

Sure, it won't make up for proper sleep and rest though it may help a bit.

Absinthe said:
Another question, if we teach Uttu Calm Casting, would that boost her aim with her arrows?

Maybe but you would need to teach her the fundamentals of magical theory first. I can add it as an option to the choices available if you want.

Current Tally:

Absinthe:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.A>Biv
3.A
4.Bii (DT&L)
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Focus on vocals, build up general familiarity with all instruments
B: Eclectic style

Kz3r0:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biii
3.A
4.A
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Vocals
B: Celt-Folk-Metal

Baltika9:
Part 1:
1.C
2.A
3.A
4.x
5.x
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals and lead guitar, [others according to their inclinations?] or Derry on flute/supporting vocals, Taide on vocals/lute, Lys according to her inclination
B: Metal or Vulgar Songs

Azira:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.Bii
3.D
4.x
5.x
Part 2:
A: Vocals and bagpipes
B: Eclectic

Karwelas:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biv
3.D
4.x
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals, Thaïs on bagpipes, Lyssa on lute
B: Heavy/Folk-Celtic Metal

Nevill:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Bii>Biv(if a tie)
3.D
4.Bii Lyssa>Bi (if a tie)
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Vocals for D&T, Lys according to her inclination
B: Eclectic - start with Folk and Metal

Jester:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.A (Derryth)
3.D
4.Bi (Taide & Lys)
5.x
Part 2:
A: ?
B: ?

Grimgravy:
Part 1:
1.D
2.A
3.D>A
4.A
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: D - Bagpipes, T - Vocals, L - Drums > whatever she wants
B: Celtic/Folk

archaen:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biii
3.D
4.Bi
5.x
Part 2:
A: Focus on vocals first, instruments latter.
B: Celtic metal

Part 1:
1. Course of Action: Operation Two Ways
5 votes D
3 votes Biii
1 vote C

2. Scheduling Awake: Tied, see flop
A 4/9 votes
B 5/9 votes:
i.
ii. 2/4 votes
iii. 2/4 votes
iv. 1/4 votes

2. Post Flop Scheduling Awake: Train magic with Taide and Lys
A 3/9 votes
B 6/9 votes
i.
ii. 1/6 votes
iii. 2/6 votes
iv. 3/6 votes

3.Scheduling Asleep: Split your time evenly between sleeping and practicing muscial magic
6 votes D
3 votes A

4. Training the Seekers: Tied, see flop
2 votes A
2 votes Bii (1 vote DT&L, 1 vote Lyssa)
2 votes Bi (1 vote T&L, 1 vote unspecified)
3 undeclared

4. Post Flop Training the Seekers: Have Taide and Lys train a few Seekers
3 votes Bi (1 vote T&L, 2 votes unspecified)
2 votes A
1 vote Bii (1 vote DT&L, 1 vote Lyssa)
3 undeclared

5. The Green Mage's Vials: Send one vial to the Academy to have it tested.
5 votes A (5 votes for 1)
4 undeclared

Part 2:
A: Instruments:
Derryth:
Vocals - 7/8 votes
Bagpipes - 2/8 votes
Guitar - 1/8 votes
Flute - 1/8 votes
All Instruments - 1/8 votes

Thaïs:
Vocals - 7/8 votes
Bagpipes - 2/8 votes
Lute - 1/8 votes
Whatever she wants - 1/8 votes
All instruments - 1/8 votes

Lyssa:
Vocals - 4/8 votes
Whatever she wants - 3/8 votes
Bagpipes - 1/8 votes
Lute - 1/8 votes
Drums - 1/8 votes

*General consensus seems to be that all three ladies should sing in some capacity. D&T in a leading role and Lys supporting perhaps? There is no clear consensus on what sort of instruments (if any) the group should play.

B: Style/Genre
Metal: 4 votes
3 votes Celtic/Folk Metal

1 vote Heavy Metal

Eclectic: 3 votes
Folk/Celtic: 1 vote

*General consensus seems to be to focus on folk/Celtic traditional music combined with metal.

I will probably close the vote sometime in the next twenty four hours and the update will be up roughly within twenty four hours of that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm.

If we were to teach the Seekers the dwarven enchantments, could we ask them to teach the girls the fundamentals of magical theory?

Anyone willing to make a conditional vote for Vocals & general familiarity with all instruments? Right now the only thing we agree on is that everyone should do vocals. Otherwise everyone seems to have a different choice of pet instrument.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Absinthe said:
Anyone willing to make a conditional vote for Vocals & general familiarity with all instruments?
Isn't that how the votes are already interpreted? The choice of style is Folk Metal for now, and you can't do it with vocals alone.

I view it as 'use any instruments that do not hinder singing'. Not exactly 'train with all instruments equally', sure, but for me that is enough. It does not restrict us very much, or lock us on a single path.

Fangshi, I will also clarify that my unspecified vote for training the Seekers is to train them with all mages. It appears that our ladies are tied up working on spells as per the 2nd choice, so there is no benefit to them working on separate tasks. If Thais and Lys are teaching, then what does Derryth do in that time? Sine we didn't choose any specific activity for her, I think she should help, too. Hopefully, it will speed up the process - she is one of the better teachers in the group.

archaen, care to clarify your Bi vote?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
If we were to teach the Seekers the dwarven enchantments, could we ask them to teach the girls the fundamentals of magical theory?

Sure, you could try. I can add it as an option now or in a future update.

Nevil said:
Fangshi, I will also clarify that my unspecified vote for training the Seekers is to train them with all mages.

Noted, I will make the change.

Current Tally:

Absinthe:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.A>Biv
3.A
4.Bii (DT&L)
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Focus on vocals, build up general familiarity with all instruments
B: Eclectic style

Kz3r0:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biii
3.A
4.A
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Vocals
B: Celt-Folk-Metal

Baltika9:
Part 1:
1.C
2.A
3.A
4.x
5.x
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals and lead guitar, [others according to their inclinations?] or Derry on flute/supporting vocals, Taide on vocals/lute, Lys according to her inclination
B: Metal or Vulgar Songs

Azira:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.Bii
3.D
4.x
5.x
Part 2:
A: Vocals and bagpipes
B: Eclectic

Karwelas:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biv
3.D
4.x
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Derryth on vocals, Thaïs on bagpipes, Lyssa on lute
B: Heavy/Folk-Celtic Metal

Nevill:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Bii>Biv(if a tie)
3.D
4.Bii Lyssa>Bi All (if a tie)
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: Vocals for D&T, Lys according to her inclination
B: Eclectic - start with Folk and Metal

Jester:
Part 1:
1.Biii
2.A (Derryth)
3.D
4.Bi (Taide & Lys)
5.x
Part 2:
A: ?
B: ?

Grimgravy:
Part 1:
1.D
2.A
3.D>A
4.A
5.A(1)
Part 2:
A: D - Bagpipes, T - Vocals, L - Drums > whatever she wants
B: Celtic/Folk

archaen:
Part 1:
1.D
2.Biii
3.D
4.Bi
5.x
Part 2:
A: Focus on vocals first, instruments latter.
B: Celtic metal

Part 1:
1. Course of Action: Operation Two Ways
5 votes D
3 votes Biii
1 vote C

2. Scheduling Awake: Tied, see flop
A 4/9 votes
B 5/9 votes:
i.
ii. 2/4 votes
iii. 2/4 votes
iv. 1/4 votes

2. Post Flop Scheduling Awake: Train magic with Taide and Lys
A 3/9 votes
B 6/9 votes
i.
ii. 1/6 votes
iii. 2/6 votes
iv. 3/6 votes

3.Scheduling Asleep: Split your time evenly between sleeping and practicing muscial magic
6 votes D
3 votes A

4. Training the Seekers: Tied, see flop
2 votes A
2 votes Bii (1 vote DT&L, 1 vote Lyssa)
2 votes Bi (1 vote T&L, 1 vote unspecified)
3 undeclared

4. Post Flop Training the Seekers: Have Taide and Lys train a few Seekers
3 votes Bi (1 vote T&L, 1 vote DT&L, 1 vote unspecified)
2 votes A
1 vote Bii (1 vote DT&L, 1 vote Lyssa)
3 undeclared

5. The Green Mage's Vials: Send one vial to the Academy to have it tested.
5 votes A (5 votes for 1)
4 undeclared

Part 2:
A: Instruments:
Derryth:
Vocals - 7/8 votes
Bagpipes - 2/8 votes
Guitar - 1/8 votes
Flute - 1/8 votes
All Instruments - 1/8 votes

Thaïs:
Vocals - 7/8 votes
Bagpipes - 2/8 votes
Lute - 1/8 votes
Whatever she wants - 1/8 votes

Lyssa:
Vocals - 4/8 votes
Whatever she wants - 3/8 votes
Bagpipes - 1/8 votes
Lute - 1/8 votes
Drums - 1/8 votes

*General consensus seems to be that all three ladies should sing in some capacity. D&T in a leading role and Lys supporting perhaps? There is no clear consensus on what sort of instruments (if any) the group should play.

B: Style/Genre
Metal: 4 votes
3 votes Celtic/Folk Metal
1 vote Heavy Metal

Eclectic: 3 votes
Folk/Celtic: 1 vote

*General consensus seems to be to focus on folk/Celtic traditional music combined with metal.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
General consensus seems to be that all three ladies should sing in some capacity. D&T in a leading role and Lys supporting perhaps? There is no clear consensus on what sort of instruments (if any) the group should play.
Doesn't the genre determine the instruments you play at least to some degree?

I didn't choose vocals because I do not want to play instruments, I just wanted to limit the instruments to the ones that do not prevent singing. Because of this:
Thaïs takes you by the arm as you step out into the cold night, "I did not know you could sing."

"I can't," you reply, "Not really."

She scoffs, "You can and you could be quite good at it if you took the time to try. Just like you can be very sweet when you want to be. You should try it, you would make fewer enemies."

Something to consider perhaps.
It was meant to happen. :love:

That reminds me...
The Long Tails claim the cellars as their own and this gives them access to all the alcohol stored in the fort. They have built upon this fact to become the entertainers of the Rodent Commonwealth, they are master performers (singers, dancers, jugglers and the like). If a clan or group of clans plan to hold a festival or party then they will contract the Long Tails to provide the beverages and the entertainers. Some whisper that the Long Tails also have a darker side to them, it is said that if someone wants an assassin or a poisoner then one only has to go to the cellars and wait. If the Paws are the face of the Commonwealth then the Tails are its hands, they keep everything running smoothly.
Say, Fangshi, what kind of instruments the mice play? We know they can sing (at least they know 'the ball of Kirriemuir'), but what do they perform?

Can we teach them Metal as well to completely fuck up what is left of the world? :troll:

Or are they not up for the task?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Doesn't the genre determine the instruments you play at least to some degree.

I didn't choose vocals because I do not want to play instruments, I just wanted to limit the instruments to the ones that do not prevent singing.

Hmm, well it is like that joke,

Q: "What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin?"

A: "You don't spill beer on a violin!"

The two are essentially interchangeable as far as the fixed part of the instrument goes but their set ups can change (string position and sometimes differences in the bridge for example) to meet the needs of the musician.

So you can play just about an instrument in just about any genre as many of the most popular bands/performers of the last century demonstrated time and time again.

What the genre does is help determine how you will go about playing the instruments though it is worth noting that some genres are far more restrictive in the sounds you can create (while remaining in the genre) than others are.

Could you learn Celtic metal a capella?

Yes, probably, and if no instruments win then that is how you will practice at first with a focus on vocal control and Nanshe's drums to help you. If you want to pick up instruments afterward then you can simply call for a vote.

Nevill said:
Say, Fangshi, what kind of instruments the mice play? We know they can sing (at least they know 'the ball of Kirriemuir'), but what do they play?

tumblr_m33p5cF0NR1r2jwh5o1_500.jpg

They do manufacture instruments from what they can scavenge but they do not have anything terribly complex yet. Simple drums, pipes and stringed instruments.

Nevill said:
Can we teach them Metal as well to completely fuck what is left of the world? :troll:

Sure, if you ever feel it would be a worthwhile use of your time you could learn the necessary spells to communicate directly with the mice and you could teach them metal. Might take a while though and they would need to be your mage mice if you wanted them casting any spells.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't really care what the music choice is. Fangshi, you can flop me to whatever gets things moving but my listed choice is my preference.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, I am going to close the vote soon. The currently winning options are:

Part 1:

1. Operation Two Ways

2. Your three mages will practice magic together

3. 1/2 your time on musical magic and the other half spent sleeping

4. Train a few of the Seekers - There is a tie here, I need to know if you only want T&L to train them or if you want Derryth to help them as well.

5. You will send one vial to the Academy with Ceannard for testing.

Part 2:

A: Vocals for everyone, pick instruments later.

B: Folk/Celtic Metal as your starting genre.

As soon as the tie for 4 is decided I can close the votes.

The update will most likely be ready within 24 hrs of the votes closing.

Absinthe

Arcane
Fangshi, for genre, can we just set the consensus as "go for a broad repertoire unconstrained by genre but to begin with folk/Celtic traditional music and metal" as before, interpreting Grimgravy's initial preference for non-metal and secondarily towards whatever gets things moving?

Also, for #2, I'm confused. People seemed to be giving single and ranked preference votes but you suggested that it is possible to pursue multiple goals. In that case, is it possible to vote for both A and Biv? Because I don't think it's a good idea to wholly neglect leadership while we're leading an army, and I think most people would agree with that if they weren't strictly voting for one or the other.

Jester, archaen, any chance you will switch from Bi to Bii? If we put everyone on it then Bii will only take a single day anyway, and if we're teaching the Seekers I'm not sure why you would limit yourself to only teaching a few of them. Teaching all the Seekers will improve their firepower and give us better Seeker rep.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Fangshi, for genre, can we just set the consensus as "go for a broad repertoire unconstrained by genre but to begin with folk/Celtic traditional music and metal" as before, interpreting Grimgravy's initial preference for non-metal and secondarily towards whatever gets things moving?

It is effectively the same thing in the short term. In both cases you begin with folk and metal in an attempt to create a fusion of the two. What you do after is completely up to you and will likely require another set of votes sometime in the future. If you want I will revert the wording but it won't make any real difference.

Absinthe said:
Also, for #2, I'm confused. People seemed to be giving single and ranked preference votes but you suggested that it is possible to pursue multiple goals. In that case, is it possible to vote for both A and Biv? Because I don't think it's a good idea to wholly neglect leadership while we're leading an army, and I think most people would agree with that if they weren't strictly voting for one or the other.

Yes, it is definitely possible to try and pursue more than one activity. All that is required to do so is a majority of votes for more than one activity, at the moment only practicing magic has enough votes to win though.

Absinthe

Arcane
Kz3r0, Azira, Karwelas, Nevill, would you be willing to vote both A and Biv for #2 so that we spend time on both leadership and developing magic? I think we can all agree that we shouldn't completely neglect leadership while leading an army.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, come on. After nearly a week given to vote this is still going?

Fangshi said:
4. Train a few of the Seekers - There is a tie here, I need to know if you only want T&L to train them or if you want Derryth to help them as well.
Why not treat it as we usually do, -

Derryth - 1/2 votes, half the votes, pass
Thais - 2/2 votes, half the votes, pass
LKyssa - 2/2 votes, half the votes, pass

- and be done with it?

Failing that, here is a conditional vote for 2 A, Biv; 4 Bi (T&L) to get Derryth working on tactics and magic and Thais and Lys on training Seekers and magic. There, now can we finally close the votes?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Failing that, here is a conditional vote.

Well I had simply intended on flipping a coin since the conditional can't kick in with them tied like that.

I will give it five minutes. If it is still tied by then I will just flip a coin and you will either get 4Bi (DT&L) or 2A,Biv; 4Bi (T&L).

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, done.

The final results are as follows:

Part 1:

1. Operation Two Ways

2. Your three mages will practice magic together, Derryth will also spend time learning from her commanders how to best lead men on campaign

3. 1/2 your time on musical magic and the other half spent sleeping

4. Train a few of the Seekers - Taide and Lys will work on this by themselves while Derryth works with her officers

5. You will send one vial to the Academy with Ceannard for testing.

Part 2:

A: Vocals for everyone, pick instruments later.

B: Folk/Celtic Metal as your starting genre, what you do after that remains to be seen.

As soon as the tie for 4 is decided I can close the votes.

The update will most likely be ready within 24 hrs or so.

Update:

The update will either be out in an hour and a half or some time tomorrow when I have a moment to finish it off.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi, how is our force organized?

I can't help but notice the lack of officers now that Ceannard has left the party. There are only Berty, Hamundr, and maybe the Old Wise Man can also be counted towards them.

I think our efficiency in the field would benefit if we split our forces into more manageable teams, or squads, and assign a sergeant to each of them, someone with a degree of autonomy that his squad would follow in a heat of battle when we aren't giving them direct orders.

We have Hamundr commanding 20 chariots and the Old Wise Man commanding 20 battle mages. Following this pattern, we might want to choose a leader for our 20 legionaries, and two leaders for two squads of 20 grenadiers each. These lieutenants will report either directly to us or to Berty.

Maybe Berty and Hamundr can run a few checks on our soldiers to determine people best suited for such a task.

It would be handy to establish a proper chain of command when we are in charge of ~130 people, since we decided to get involved.

Oh, and I almost forgot.

Can we ask Nanshe what this 'unforgotten, unforgiven' business in Myrgard is about? Sounds like ghols are involved, though I doubt it was on her orders. What is the purpose of it and who is behind it?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, how is our force organized?

At the moment your force is split in four.

Hamundr commands the chariots and has his own force organization, he deals with all matters pertaining to the organization of his dwarves but his twenty chariots are split into groups of five (so teams of ten) which each have a captain.

The Old Man also looks after the organization of his people. He does not have any designated captains beyond his second and third but everyone within his group seems to know their place relative to everyone else. It seems to be organized largely on the basis of age/experience and skill/power.

The mortars and their operators report directly to you.

The Hounds are organized into teams around their elephants and the chief handler acts as their captain though each team seems to have a fair amount of autonomy.

Your remaining mercenaries have begun to organize themselves under Berty but they have not yet gelled as a cohesive whole.

Nevill said:
Following this pattern, we might want to choose a leader for our 20 legionaries, and two leaders for two squads of 20 grenadiers each. These lieutenants will report either directly to us or to Berty.

Maybe Berty and Hamundr can run a few checks on our soldiers to determine people best suited for such a task.

It would be handy to establish a proper chain of command when we are in charge of ~130 people, since we decided to get involved.

Certainly, if you want to firm up the command structure of your mercenaries then you can appoint captains to lead the men.

Nevill said:
Can we ask Nanshe what this 'unforgotten, unforgiven' business in Myrgard is about? Sounds like ghols are involved, though I doubt it was on her orders. What is the purpose of it and who is behind it?

She has no idea what that phrase could mean. If her people are involved then perhaps it is meant as a reminder that they have not forgotten that the dwarves stole their land and enslaved them for centuries. But that is only a guess.

Nevill

Arcane
Certainly, if you want to firm up the command structure of your mercenaries then you can appoint captains to lead the men.
Yup. That would be good.

Did Lys manage to finish her work on the bracelets from animal hair? We might want to have a talk with the elephants once this is over.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Did Lys manage to finish her work on the bracelets from animal hair? We might want to have a talk with the elephants once this is over.

Yeah, they are done. She wove three of them in the carriage while you were going to and from Nanshe's army. She simply has not given them out yet as she would like to test them first.

Nevill

Arcane
Say, if we are learning vocals first, is there a spell that lets you amplify and project your voice over an area?

I mean, what is the point of singing if you can't be heard over explosions and screams of rage, right?

That might actually end up useful even without a musical magic.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Say, if we are learning vocals first, is there a spell that lets you amplify and project your voice over an area?

Probably something in one of the physical school traditions that could do that. You don't know for sure though.

Fangshi

Arcane
My apologies for the rather substantial delay, I have not had the time needed to actually focus on finishing the update yet.

I should have most of tomorrow free though, (even if I have to chase everyone away ;)), so the update will be up within twenty four hours (probably closer to the end of the twenty four hour estimate though).

Given the choices for this update I am only going to run the voting for forty eight hours total, that should allow for additional updates this week.

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 65: The Hunter

It is not an easy question to answer, 'what to do'?

A great many possibilities spring to your mind all at once and with a but a few moments to decide on a course of action you can hardly gather insight from your officers. No matter, you will find a way, you simply need clarity and you seize upon the first thing that promises to grant you just a little.

You cast your gaze up to the heavens and for a moment your mind drifts up and away. It drifts into the peace and serenity to be found among the shifting clouds, motes of cotton occasionally obscuring the great, luminescent sphere that is the sun. It cuts a path through the sky, turning the sea of blues into reds and violets, the last drops of day, bleeding out into night. Such peace up there in the eternal sky, it fosters clarity, precision of thought, and with it you set your mind to working.

These things do not seem 'natural', for want of a better term, and while you can not be sure they were conjured by Mazzarin you are fairly certain that they were. If they are, then perhaps you can convince them to leave your people alone, hell, maybe you can convince them to aid the Royal Army and remove one threat to the Kingdom immediately.

That being said you hardly wish to risk your own life or the lives of your friends and allies in testing your theory. Perhaps a middle path is best, perhaps you can take all the necessary precautions to protect yourself without exposing yourself to harm. If you fortify your position and stay behind your impromptu barricade that should at least provide you a little cover from which to negotiate.

Yes, that might work, you just hope you are not being greedy...

You give Berty the orders, telling him to fortify your position as quickly as he can and to be mindful of your flanks and rear.

He nods along and begins barking orders to your men, a bounce in his step as he makes the rounds.

As he does so you run through every bit of information you have managed to gather on possible demons operating in the south. You remember that Morpheus had mentioned demons that have the ability to bewitch mortals with their voices.

With that in mind you pull off a pair of dwarves from the defensive line, “I want you two to stuff up your ears with rags and watch my every movement. If I start to behave oddly you are signal me.”

They too nod along. You do not share your fears with them. Your fears that such beings might be able to control more than one person, more than a handful of people, and that even if you do get the signal it may well do you no good, you may well be unable to resist the commands of these things.

You push those thoughts down. If these demons are that powerful then you have no real chance anyway.

The horns sound out again, the creatures have made great progress. You can see them clearly now, at first glance they could almost pass for men. Taller certainly, and with finer features but beyond that they compare favorably with most of the demons you have met. They have no tendrils with which to burrow into you, they have no feeding stalks, no distended frames, no wings, no claws, nothing to set them apart from men with one exception. Each has a pair of animal ears, some take the form of a horse, others the ears of hares, they poke up from between the strands of their fine, fair hair.

Each is dressed in a tunic and trousers of the brightest crimson with a mantle as green as the deep pines on top. Their mantle is further decorated by gold embroidery, it takes the form of leaves and hinds, hares and great flowering trees, each bears a single symbol on their left shoulder as well. A silver badge in the shape of an oak leaf. The final piece of their kit to draw your eye is the weapon each carries. A long, broad headed club, notched up and down its length with symbols you do not recognize.

One of these... Hunters, you suppose, breaks off from their fellows and advances toward your captured scout. The demon stops well short of your dwarf and hitches up his trousers, dropping into a squat, his equine ears twitching slightly. First he turns his head to the left, then he turns his head to the right, then he takes his cudgel from under his arm and he pokes at your soldier.

The soldier tries to grab the stick and is rewarded with a series of swift blows around the head and shoulders as the demon leaps to his feet and brays at the poor dwarf.

Thaïs shakes her head, “What are these things?”

“Damned if I know,” you answer with a concerned sigh.

“Best not to let them get too close,” the Old Man shouts as he moves from his part of the battle line to your own, when he closes he leans in and whispers, “If we attack them with everything we have as soon as they begin to close we should be able to wipe them all out before they reach us.”

You answer back with your orders matching his discrete tone, “We don't attack unless I give the order, understood?”

The Old Man grunts and opens his mouth to protest but stops in mid motion. He bobs his head, “Sure,” he forces a smile, “Absolutely...”

He turns on his heel and wanders back to his people.

“Think he is going to be a problem?” your better half enquirers, watching him go.

“Probably,” you answer, turning your attention back to the advancing demons.

They come to a stop at the line of waiting hounds, one, with the ears of a great gray hare, reaches over and scratches the largest hound behind the ear, it giggles at the affection. Another, with ears of silver fur, begins practicing with its club, swinging it back and forth in wide circles, it accidentally clips one of the hounds and sends it crashing into its pack mates. These things are certainly strong when they want to be.

To a man, er, demon, they seem distinctly unimpressed with your company and the number of weapons ready against them. They seem incredibly relaxed and confident, a fact that does little for your own sense of comfort.

The four are soon joined by the fifth and the remaining hounds, the hunter drags the broken and bloody body of your scout behind him, one large, white hand wrapped firmly around the dwarf's ankle. Your soldier has certainly received a beating but he does seem to be alive from what you can tell.

The fifth demon, the one that so badly savaged your scout, falls to conversation with the others. They gesture at your group, they bray and whine and one takes another great swing with his club. The hounds laugh heartily, then the largest of them rises and circles the hunters once. He slinks in next to the largest of the hunters, a great mountain of a demon with the ears of a goat, died a vibrant ruby red, and from what you can see the hound begins to mutter something.

The hunters turn back to your group en masse and the largest of them points directly at you, he gestures for you to come forward, over your barricade.

Naturally you refuse, waving your hand over your head and directing them to come closer.

He swings his cudgel twice over his head and repeats his instructions.

Once more you make your reluctance to comply quite clear.

He begins to hop and holler, baying at you, till one of his companions quiets him and steps forward. It is the gray hare, the one that had so readily shown its affection for the hounds. Seems he intends to negotiate as he begins to stride toward your position.

“Everyone get ready,” you whisper to your allies, “And remember, no one attacks until I give the order.”

The Hare Hunter whistles as he walks toward your line. He maintains a brisk pace, exudes confidence, as he closes he locks eyes with you and does not drop his gaze.

“Hello! Cousin Derry, hello!” he calls to you, tucking his club under his arm and raising his hands, “I be wishing to talk, nothing more!”

“That's close enough,” you caution him. Thaïs raises her crossbow to drive home your point.

He chuckles, “Ah, cousin Taide, that is a mighty fine bow you have there but you may as well lower it. I would not favour your odds of hitting me with it and if you go and fire that thing then I will have to excuse myself from these proceedings,” he gestures over his shoulder with his thumb, “Brother Beater and Brother Bounder back there would like nothing better than a reason to test your line, I would like to avoid giving them that reason.”

“So you want peace?” Lyssa calls out from your side.

He nods, “Oh, very much so cousin Lys, very much so. At least for the time being that is.”

“Well, we might just be able to make that work,” you answer, your words send up a hiss from the Seekers' part of the line, “Why are you chasing my people.”

“Your people?” the hare slaps his knee, “That is a good one Cousin!” he turns conspiratorially to his left and shouts into thin air, “'Her people' she says! Can you believe that, a mighty fine joker dear Cousin is!”

He snaps his head back toward you and gives you a sly grin.

“Derryth!” Berty shouts from the right flank, “The hounds are circling!”

Sure enough they have begun to spread out and creep around the edges of your battle line. Well, you can't have that.

You round on the Hare Hunter, “I thought you wanted peace, er, Cousin...”

“Cropper,” he answers with a wink, “Call me Cropper, Cousin. I do want peace, I can assure you of that.”

“Then call off the hounds,” you press him.

“Ah,” he scratches the back of his neck, “Alright Cousin, fair enough, fair enough!”

He lets out two high pitched whistles and the hounds begin to draw back toward the main body of the hunting party, they look thoroughly disappointed but Cropper merely grins at you, “That better Cousin?”

“Immensely,” Thaïs replies and spares him a smile, “Thank you.”

He beams, “Ah Cousin, a smile like that, it could light a world, it could. It makes me want to be a better man than I am!”

He does seem to be friendly enough but you are not certain that he is entirely in control of his faction or his faculties. It would be best to end this as quickly as you can, “So, Cousin Cropper, why were you chasing my people?”

He shakes his finger at you, “Cousin Derry, that is what I was getting at. They are not your people. They are necromancer's spies, servants of the Dark, our common foe so to speak.”

“Have any proof?” Lys chimes in.

“I should think you would know,” Cropper answers, his grin turning sharp, “I should think you would know...” he laughs, “I mean with all of your combined experience fighting the Dark, I mean. All that time battling servants of the Watcher, surely, you must have, at some point, maybe, come up with a way to detect those spies, those cowards, those traitors that make themselves the enemy of life everywhere? Right?”

Well there might be a few ways to tell that you can think of but none that you care to share with a half mad demon scout, “Possibly,” you reply carefully.

“Beautiful,” he clasps his hands together, “So as I was saying, and as you can confirm if you have half the mind to do so, those dwarves we are chasing serve the Watcher and it is our job to purge the Dark from the Kingdom.”

“A demon fighting the Dark,” the Old Man shouts as he leaves his place in the line and moves toward you, “What sort of foolishness is this?”

Cropper narrows his eyes, “One, Slaver, I am no demon. Two, the Dark and the Dark Gods are not one and the same. Three, it is not polite to be interrupting a private conversation between family.”

“Family?” the Old Man glares at the hare and then at the three of you, “What is he talking about?”

“I have not the faintest idea,” you reply in unison.

The Old Man begins to tense, “I am sure.”

“Now hold on,” you raise a hand, “No need to jump to conclusions!”

You gesture to Cropper with a single hand, “Why don't we ask him what he means?”

The Old Man grunts and nods, “Alright, why not?”

Cropper pulls himself up to his full height, “That is easy, I was told about the three of you and I was told to keep an eye out for your coming,” he shuffles, the tips of his ears beginning to colour, “Well you see, its well, he, meaning the Master, made us memorize our orders so we would not make a mistake, or get distracted, or run off with all the pretty lads and lasses,” Cropper grins, “So, well, so I set my orders to a little rhyme,” he coughs, clearing his throat, “One o fire, one o night, one o beasts and ya got it right! Hunt the pale man, hunt the beast, hunt their servants, from greatest ta the least!”

The Hare Hunter looks equal parts proud and embarrassed at his little rhyme, “So when I saw the three of you, all mages right, all together like that, I figured, well, I figured what were the odds right? I mean three humans, three women, three mages, one with the red hair and the other with the black and then all those animals on the third, and above, and around, and well, I figured that you were my dear cousins, allies in my Master's hunt, and so that is what I told the others. I told them you must be Derry, and Taide and Lys and that you are our friends or at least not enemies, not yet anyhow.”

“And who is this 'master',” the Old Man presses, “Which Dark God do you serve fiend!”

“Why,” the Hare Hunter shrugs, “Not a one, I serve my Lord and he serves his Lord and we are all swore to the service of the Greatest Mage to ever walk this world. We serve the Mazzarin.”

The Old Man laughs at this, “Mazzarin has been dead for centuries, don't lie to me beast.”

“Beast!” Cropper leaps two meters closer to your line, club in hand, “Beast! Cousins, if you can not control this fiend, this slaver, this merchant of souls then by the hills and the rocks and the trees I will cave his thick head in this moment!”

The Old Man begins to channel, you grab him by the shoulder and hiss in his ear, “What are you doing!”

“Killing a few demons,” he answers coldly.

“Not without my orders,” you insist.

“Then give the order,” he replies, his voice sharp as a razor. He breaks free from you and in a blink speeds his way back to his section of the line. With or without your help it seems that the Seekers are set on fighting this battle. Perhaps you should have expected that given their known attitude toward the 'unnatural'.

“A shame, dear cousins,” Cropper calls to you, swinging his club back a forth, “It would be an absolute shame if your dog bites, then we might have to put him down!”

The other hunters cheer and the hounds laugh mightily.

“Five of you and a handful of hounds,” the Old Man answers, “Can't say I like your odds monster!”

“Oh,” Cropper laughs, “We have got far more than that!”

You don't see anything.

You do however hear something.

It is quite quiet, a mere whisper on the breeze but slowly it begins to build.

It is a threat and a promise of violence though you are not yet sure who it is directed at.

It is the sound of voices and of horses and you can not say how long you have before this whisper breaks into a shout and a panic that will drive your sense from you.

It occurs to you that perhaps Cropper is not the hunter, perhaps his lord is, and you stare up at the sinking sun and wonder what will come when it falls beyond the horizon, what will come with the night?

Cropper watches you, watching the sun, he grins warmly, “Clever Cousin, but don't you worry none. Little more, a little more and my lord will be here, then we can all talk properly, without snapping dogs at our heels.”

1. Well, seems things are about to come to head. How do you want to handle this situation?

A) You do nothing. The Seekers will likely attack the huntsmen and they have an immediate advantage but if their Lord is coming then who knows what will happen. You will simply wait with your forces and make a decision once one side has won. Hopefully both sides will refrain from attacking you but that might be a bit much to ask for.

B) You throw your lot in with the Seekers. That should demonstrate to the Old Man that you are not actively consorting with demons (even though you do technically consort with demons fairly often). It is likely that the Seekers will be suspicious of you going forward but there is nothing you can do about that now, you will just have to win them over later. At least you know where they stand. Unfortunately you will also have to attack an enemy with unknown abilities and numbers, and one which may be about to receive an unknown amount of reinforcements.

C) You throw your lot in with the huntsmen. They claim to be something other than demonic and they do seem to know a lot of what is going on. It is possible they have been given information by Mazzarin that could help you in the south and by helping them deal with the Seekers you might be able to secure them as an ally to the Kingdom. Of course, you don't know how the dwarven leadership will react to such a turn of events, you don't know if you should or even can trust these things and if you declare your support for the huntsmen then you will have to deal with twenty battle mages at fairly close range along with their guardians.

D)Withdraw. As soon as the Seekers attack the huntsmen you will order as much of your forces to withdraw. Hopefully you will be able to put enough distance between you and the battlefield to prevent excessive casualties. At the very least you can try to protect your command group by fleeing in the carriage. It is likely that you will lose some people and it will kill morale but it may be the most reasonable course to pursue.

E) Negotiate. Maybe you can prevent a conflict if you hand over the scouts the huntsmen are chasing. Bit of a long shot though as the Seekers do seem fairly committed to starting something here.

F) freeform – And for anything else, more complex, more clever, you have the ever popular freeform option.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom