Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Can a person willingly lower their defences and allow us in their mind if they wanted to?

I mean, if they are innocent, there would be no reason to resist, seeing how that would prevent us from confirming their innocence.

And if they are guilty, we can break through their defences and get the names of the fellow agents among the dwarves.

As for concentrating on the scout, I have a suspicion that some of the dwarves are really the Watcher's agents and that we need to keep an eye on them, but that is what we have the rest of our mercenary force and Lyssa for.

Where are the rest of the scouts and what are they doing, by the way? We'll probably have to disarm them until further notice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    ^ Top  
  2. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  3. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    D for now will think about it.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I think I have a plan. I will need a few hours before I can get back to keyboard and smooth out the details, though.

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    The target can try to calm their conscious mind but you are always going to register as a 'foreign presence' to their unconscious mind and it will try to defend itself. If you don't get caught though it probably won't take action.

Toward the center of your formation. Berty has some of your people watching them but they have not really done much yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Mazzarin. You dirty, awesome fag.

Part of me can't feel some kind of... well earned respect for this nerd.

For now:
    D

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hm.

So, by the looks of it Mazzarin did not pass by the city, but entered the city instead to buy himself an army of dogs and a bunch of collars. How else would you explain that he had them on his person a few hours after he was awakened from a thousand years coma? He probably had some spares left, and when we told him to keep his greedy hands off our crew, he thought of a use for them. That is why the same generic message about pets was triggered by Lyssa's collar.

What does that mean for us?
    That suggests to me that it were Brothers Dietfried who crafted our 'necklaces', and that they probably could rid us of them - or, better yet, disable the Magical Stimulant effect, leaving the resistances intact without drawbacks. It is a possibility worth exploring.

But that is a subject for another day. For now it would be nice to decide how to proceed and keep our lives and the rest of the army intact, too.

So, where do we stand?
    Why would they not tell him? Probably because he would not approve of them killing dwarves and humans, whom he refers to as 'the children of the Light', for nothing, and his disapproval is worth avoiding. So what happens if we would be the ones to tell them they did?

I would assume that if we raised such a question, they would try to silence us as well. But what if they couldn't?

Now, we are right to be concerned about the 'Lord' Cropper speaks of. The guy is probably bad news. But the fact that we are objectively weaker than a Demon Lord, or a Dark God, or an Archmage does not mean that we are powerless before them, nor does it mean that we are harmless.

We will just have to be able to borrow the power.

Remember when we talked about threatening the Spider Goddess into inaction by dangling a threat of Mazzarin's retribution over her head? We opted out of it because it was too dangerous or something, but now that dangerous things are coming to us without asking whether we like it or not, it might be the right time to dust the plan off.

So, Operation: Deterrence.

- Get Berty, Hamundr and Lyssa together and discreetly tell them to keep the scouts under supervision and control so that they would not try anything. If there are Watcher's agents among them, and if we get positive results from our interrogation, they will definitely resist. I don't know what they are packing - maybe a grenade or something - but I do not want it to go off in the middle of our ranks. Let Berty and Lyssa think of a way to neutralize the enemy spies quickly and safely if there is a need, and let Hamundr - as the senior military officer here and a Captain of the Royal Guards - command the innocent loyalists into submission. Caoilainn can keep an eye on our immediate surroundings. Basically, be one step ahead of the situation.
    - While the rest of the our crew are busy, concentrate on something other than the scouts in our ranks to not alarm them. Try to get inside the wounded scout's mind together with Thais and get as much information as you can out of him. Try to do it subtly, but don't be discouraged if you get caught, just don't harm them irrepairably unless their guilt is confirmed. We learned the basics of the technique while interrogating the Weasel captain.
    - We are looking for signs of guilt and being involved with the Watcher in any way. Should we find proof, we can discard being gentle and go all in. If this is a conspiracy and the Watcher's agents led Cropper and Co. to our ranks to provoke a fight, they should know each other. Try to get the identities of the whole group by interrogating one member. It should save us some time.
    - If you find something, confirm your findings together with the Old Man. He asked to be present. Try to determine with your best ability who is guilty and who is innocent in a given timeframe. The other information can wait.
    - If you find the scout innocent, tell Cropper as much. I want to see how he reacts to the news. Though the dogs probably have some means to determine who has the Watcher's scent, and at this point I doubt the scout's integrity.
    - Our goal here is to separates the innocents and the guilty so that we can give the latter to Cropper and his Lord, and spare the former. I am not going to go for a blanket judgement.
    - After we are done with our quick investigation, do a meditation and enter the Dreaming. Tell the others that you need to calm your mind and senses and prepare for what is going to follow.
    - The time flows differently - and apparently, much slower - in the Dreaming. We should have enough time here to do what we came to do. Still, have Caoilainn awake in the real world to send us a warning if something requires our immediate attentiion.
    - In the Dreaming, write a formal will. Detail your observations up to this point, and that you are about to meet with an alleged servant of Mazzarin. Write down that you have doubts about whether they aren't doing something shady behind the mage's back using his name as a shield, and that you are going to check it out. Write down that if your suspicions prove true, and if you suffer a demise from their hand, or get kidnapped/bewitched/lose your mind, or rendered unable to protect the Kingdom in any other way - you have one last favor to request of Mazzarin: to become the protector of the Dwarven Kingdom in our stead, to keep it thriving under the dwarven rule, and to destroy its enemies swiftly and mercilessly. And, of course, the first thing he will need to protect it from is the very creatures that caused our demise and their whole ilk, continuing with the Watcher's agents, the Spider Goddess cult, and possibly further. Ask him to tend to these matters personally instead of hiring 'helping' hands who may go rogue behind his back. At least that way we would do some good should we die. We have invested heavily into the kingdom, it would be a shame to see our efforts go to waste.
    - As for the ghols, write down that there are forces among them who may want peace, and that there are indications that the conflict between the two nations may have been started by a Fallen Lord. They do fall under the enemies of the kingdom, and we would like to see the conflict end one way or the other, but a smarter mage might find a way to end it peacefully and undo what was wrought by the forces of the Dark. ;) Bait him into it as a challenge. Hey, if we are writing a will, let's take care of the loose ends should we run out of luck.
    - Have Morpheus give us his word that, should we die or should something equally unfortunate happen to us, then - and only then, - he will give the will, unaltered, to our friends in Muirthemne, who should seek Mazzarin out and make our last request known. Otherwise he will return it to us upon our request. The will should not trigger while we are alive, sane, and generally able to talk for ourselves rather than have the document do it.
    - The tricky part is, what to promise Morphy. Then again, should we live, he does not have to do anything. He only has the right to request something if we die, but then we will not be able to give much to him, being... well, dead. Bequeath to him TWM's journal and the Shade's spellbook (he said he never had a Shade, so I imagine it might be of interest to him) in case of our team wipe. If that does not suffice, let him consider all the lulz of the situation when Mazzarin ends up carrying out the will of two children. That alone might be worth it.
    - If we live, consider destroying the will, as if it never happened. Or we may want to keep it as long as we are dealing with the dwarven problems, just in case rocks fall and everyone dies. Would make for a nicer epilogue.
    - After we are done, leave the Dreaming and prepare to meet the Cropper's Lord. We have stood our ground against worse, we are not about to get scared now.
    - That said, do not get all confrontational. Be polite, respectful and reasonable. You have a nuke backing you up, you can afford to negotiate on equal terms, no matter how big an entourage they bring with them, but there may be no need of threats in the first place if we can just talk it out.
    - Do not give ground. The lives of the Watcher's agents are forfeit, but the lives of innocents are not. Humans and dwarves are the creations of Wyrd, and thus the children of the Light unless they choose to serve the Dark. An unprovoked aggression against them is a crime against the Light, and any transgressions will be reported to the Great Moderator. They can't silence us without suffering an equally disastrous fate. We will have to come to a compromise.

I don't want to waste a day and a half running, but neither do I want to talk with someone who can dictate us terms. I need something to back me up, and Mazzarin is a damn good argument in any conflict of interests.

Fangshi, any potential problems with the plan that I should be aware of?

I will vote E - Operation: Deterrence.

Everyone is welcome to make suggestions and/or corrections.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Because most people do not convey every single detail of what they do to their bosses perhaps?

Really it is all speculation on D&T's part.

None that you should be aware of, no.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    True, but there are also a few facts that we learned about them. They do not touch civilians, aiming for the armed groups instead.

I assume that this behavior is due to either them being the 'good guys', or an explicit order, or an implicit understanding that this is not at all what their master wants from them. Either of these should work in our favor.

Well, I just wanted to check if there are parts that need additional attention based on what Derryth knows.

For example, the Silver Lady might not agree to the part of the will regarding the protection of the Kingdom from the Spider Cult (as it may involve her sister), or that there might be some problems with Morpheus upholding what is required of him, or any other things. Most of these have workarounds that do not change the core of the idea. Basically, just how deep I need to go into minor details and contingencies (there are always a million 'ifs'), or can I trust Derryth to catch them and adjust the plan on the fly.

Not a lot of freeform plans worked exactly as intended. :)

Anyway, is it too early to make plans for what happens if we will get out of this? I have a few ideas of what to do with our mice, but I am not sure if now is the right time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    ^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well, I suspect, he would simply not tell her if he thought it would be a problem. :troll:

Morpheus, like all husbands, knows it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and there is a reason they both have spies. They may be a loving couple but they are still greater demons at the end of the day... :lol:

Derry's smart, she will try to adjust/minimize the damage if things fail like anyone would. Of course, if you rely on me to come up with her actions than you are limited to what I can think up on my own, so there is that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Oh, missed this one:

Well the update won't be out before Sunday, my time, so feel free to discuss whatever you want, planning ahead would not necessarily be a bad thing if you think you have this situation under control right?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Cropper is insistant that they are not demons, but can we ask Cropper who they are, exactly? Where do they come from, how were they created/born, and where did they get their hounds?

Why are they calling us cousins, implying that we are their family? What are our familial ties, exactly?

Who are the pale man and the beast from his rhyme? It sounds like they are different people.

The pale man sounds like TWM, and the mage mentioned 'the beast' before in an interlude, though our characters can't know that.

^ Top  
  13. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    I think Cropper call us cousins becouse Great M say we are his pets. If they are not demons, it may be it.

^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    He cracks a grin and scratches behind his left ear, his leg thumping on the ground as he does so, "Why, Cousin Derry, I am mighty pleased that you wish to know more about me but there just isn't that much to tell. I am what I am and that is all that I am," he grins, "Same goes for my brothers too, call us Cousins for in a way we are, call use neighbours, for that too we are, but if you want to get formal, much too formal I might add, then call us the Tuath Dé and you would not be too far off I should think."

"As for the rest," he shifts his club to his other hand, "Where did we come from? Why, we came from the clouds, from the North and from the West. How were we born? The same way as the wild hills, the untamed forests, the raging rivers, and the hounds? The came from my Lord, you see he does like to hunt so it was only natural that he got himself a few hounds and a few stout fellows like myself to help with that."

He tilts his head and smiles, "Less a tie of blood dear Cousin than a tie of elegance. The Mazzarin was quick, the Mazzarin was bold, the Mazzarin made us swear an oath and though we are sometimes forgetting it the Mazzarin makes us remember all too quick," he raises his club over his own head and pretends to threaten himself with it, cowering before it before breaking into an easy, airy laugh, "All too quick, dear Cousin, all too quick."

He grins and pulls himself up to his full height, swaggering back in forth with the self assured gait of a mage. He turns to face you and then winks and for just a moment his face seems to change into an exact copy of the Thin White Mage's own countenance, "The pale man? The broken man, I should say, he found so very much and lost so much more," Cropper laughs and begins to hum, singing quietly, "We passed upon the stair, We spoke of was and when, Although I wasn't there, He said I was his friend, Which came as some surprise. I spoke into his eyes, "I thought you died alone A long long time ago,"" he laughs again, "Clever mage, stupid mage, arrogant mage, I pity him Cousin, I truly do."

He shrugs, "The beast? The beast is one of the Dark One's generals, he leads his armies down in the south, right round that city of dwarves down there. Strange one he is, big, bigger than me, bigger than you, bigger than most. Brother Beater thinks he is a monster, I think he is a machine, maybe he is both, maybe he is a machine of flesh, of muscle, of bones, yeah, a Bone Machine..." Cropper just trails off after that, staring into the sky.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That is my take on it too, that we have a common 'father figure', and the same (?) collars, but I am kind of suspicious.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Do they know of the druids from the Twelve Duns? Are they connected to them somehow, by any chance?

Who is the Lord they serve? What can they tell us about him and his hunts? Is he, too, sworn into service by Mazzarin? Do they know what the terms of this service are?

What does he think will happen once their Lord arrives?

What would Cropper and his brothers do if the pale man and the beast fall and their service to Mazzarin is complete? Do they know that we defeated the pale man a few days ago, alongside with everyone he could muster?

Actually, were there only two targets? Doesn't the Watcher have more of them? What about the female necromancer who can not be killed? Were there any instructions about her?

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You don't know about the druids so you can not ask about them, sorry. :smug:

"We serve Finnbheara, the Great King, lover of horses and of beautiful women," Cropper smirks, "Different sorts of love of course."

He shrugs, "The hunts are, ah, hunt-ish," he looks a little confused to be honest, "The hounds sniff out our prey and they call to us on the wind. Then we come a running and help drive the prey to ground. Once we sound the horns our Lord knows how to find us and with the coming night he rides out to earn glory and demonstrate his skill and power..."

He says the only prediction he is confident enough to make is that none of this will be his problem when his Lord arrives, other than that, who knows? He says he is but a simply sort with simple desires and simple thoughts. The ways of kings and cunning men are beyond him.

You are not certain you believe him.

He scratches his head, "Go home probably," he gives you a fiendish grin, "Unless you have a more interesting offer for us Cousin," the hounds laugh in the distance.

I am feeling generous tonight. :lol:

You do realize that even if he does not know now, if you ask that question he will know, right?

Just the two from what he knows though he does remind you that he may not know everything for obvious reasons. He also admits that he forgets things sometimes, hence the rhyme he memorized.

He knows nothing about a female necromancer.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We don't?

I mean, sure, we don't know about Christine and the situation in the North, but we don't even know they exist?
    I kind of thought that we picked this information in a library or something. Nevermind then.

Now I am confused as to why letting him know we disposed of one of the Watcher's generals is a bad idea. :?:|

Just wanted to gauge his reaction to the news, but that would probably require a vote from what I am hearing.

So, can anyone make sense out of this? All I got from Cropper that I can understand is that the hounds are not Mazzarin's pets.

Edit:
    So, who is usually the prey?

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    No, Derryth knows very little about the Northmen in general. I think it was back at the end of chapter 1 when someone asked what she knew and that was the answer. She has never been to there lands from what I can remember (I don't have to notes in front of me and I am not going to go looking in the middle of the night).

"Those of evil intent," he answers with a laugh.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Meta to the rescue.
    Run away! Run away!! :lol:

King of the Dead, though? That does not sound good. Or maybe they oppose the Watcher for the very reason he disturbs the dead?

I am adding the kidnapping clause to the Deterrence doctrine, though. Anything that interferes with us trying to save the kingdom in a major way, really.

I kind of get these guys are the fairy folk, what's with their talk about the hills and swearing by rivers, but what does the fairy folk even do in Myth? :?

Let's take a wild guess, shall we? What do they know of Ermine (that we know is located in the north-west) and Fir'Bolg? Are they connected to them? And I use 'connected' in the broadest sense possible - by virtue of being friends, relatives or enemies.

Ask Lyssa if she heard anything about them from Mazzarin. There might be a reason why he turned to them for military aid. He may have met them before, and thus may have told about them to his apprentice.

She knew enough to take an oath from Morpheus. Maybe she knows how to deal with them, too.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So I've been reading nothing but the Irish (well, Celtic) myths for the last few hours. It is all quite fascinating.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ali/
    Ethna the Bride (open)
    "The fairies, as we know, are greatly attracted by the beauty of mortal women, and Finvarra the king employs his numerous sprites to find out and carry off when possible the prettiest girls and brides in the country. These are spirited away by enchantment to his fairy palace at Knockma in Tuam, where they remain under a fairy spell, forgetting all about time earthly life and soothed to passive enjoyment, as in a sweet dream, by the soft low melody of the fairy music, which has the power to lull the hearer into a trance of ecstasy.

There was once a great lord in that part of the country who had a beautiful wife called Ethna, the lovehest bride in all the land. And her husband was so proud of her that day after day he had festivals in her honour; and from morning till night his castle was filled with lords and ladies, and nothing but music and dancing and feasting and hunting and pleasure was thought of.

One evening while the feast was merriest, and Ethna floated through the dance in her robe of silver gossamer clasped with jewels, more bright and beautiful than the stars in heaven, she suddenly let go the hand of her partner and sank to the floor in a faint.

They carried her to her room, where she lay long quite insensible; but towards the morning she woke up and declared that she had passed the night in a beautiful palace, and was so happy that she longed to sleep again and go there in her dreams. And they watched by her all day, but when the shades of evening fell dark on the castle, low music was heard at her window, and Ethna again fell into a deep trance from which nothing could rouse her.

Then her old nurse was set to watch her; but the woman grew weary in the silence and fell asleep, and never awoke till the sun had risen. And when she looked towards the bed, she saw to her horror that the young bride had disappeared. The whole household was roused up at once, and search made everywhere, but no trace of her could be found in all the castle, nor in the gardens, nor in the park. Her husband sent messengers in every, direction, but to no purpose--no one had seen her; no sigh of her could be found, living or dead.

Then the young lord mounted his swiftest steed and galloped right off to Knockma, to question Finvarra, the fairy king, if he could give any tidings qf the bride, or direct him where to search for her; for he and Finvarra were friends, and many a good keg of Spanish wine had been left outside the window of the castle at night for the fairies to carry away, by order of the young lord. But he little dreamed now that Finvarra himself was the traitor; so he galloped on like mad till he reached Knockma, the hill of the fairies.

And as he stopped to rest his horse by the fairy rath, he heard voices in the air above him, and one said--"Right glad is Finvarra now, for he has the beautiful bride in his palace at last; and never more will she see her husbands face."

"Yet," answered another, "if he dig down through the hill to the centre of the earth, he would find his bride; but the work is hard and the way is difficult, and Finvarra has more power than any mortal man."

"That is yet to be seen," exclaimed the young lord. "Neither fairy, nor devil, nor Finvarra himself shall stand between me and my fair young wife;" and on the instant he sent word by his servants to gather together all the workmen and labourers of the country round with their spades and pickaxes, to dig through the hill till they came to the fairy palace.

And the workmen came, a great crowd of them, and they dug through the hill all that day till a great deep trench was made down to the very centre. Then at sunset they left off for the night; but next morning when they assembled again to continue their work, behold, all time clay was put back again into the trench, and the hill looked as if never a spade had touched it--for so Finvarra had ordered; and he was powerful over earth and air and sea.

But the young lord had a brave heart, and he made the men go on with the work; and the trench was dug again, wide and deep into the centre of the hill. And this went on for three days, but always with the same result, for the clay was put back again each night and the hill looked the same as before, and they were no nearer to the fairy palace.

Then the young lord was ready to die for, rage and grief, but suddenly he heard a voice near him like a whisper in the air, and the words it said were these--"Sprinkle the earth you have dug up with salt, and your work will be safe."

On this new life came into his heart, and he sent word through all the country to gather salt from the people; and the clay was sprinkled with it that night, when the men had left off their work at the hill.

Next morning they all rose up early in great anxiety to see what had happened, and there to their great joy was the trench all safe, just as they had left it, and all the earth round it was untouched.

Then the young lord knew he had power over Finvarra, and he bade the men work on with a good heart, for they would soon reach the fairy palace now in the centre of the hill. So by the next day a great glen was cut right through deep down to the middle of the earth, and they could hear the fairy music if they put their ear close to the ground, and voices were heard round them in the air.

"See now," said one, "Finvarra is sad, for if one of those mortal men strike a blow on the fairy palace with their spades, it will crumble to dust, and fade away like the mist."

"Then let Finvarra give up the bride," said another, "and we shall be safe."

On which the voice of" Finvarra himself was heard, clear like the note of a silver bugle through the hill.

"Stop your work," he said. "Oh, men of earth, lay down your spades, and at sunset the bride shall be given back to her husband. I, Finvarra, have spoken."

Then the young lord bade them stop the work, and lay down their spades till the sun went down. And at sunset he mounted his great chestnut steed and rode to the head of the glen, and watched and waited; and just as the red light flushed all the sky, he saw his wife coming along the path in her robe of silver gossamer, more beautiful than ever; and he sprang from the saddle and lifted her up before him, and rode away like the storm wind back to the castle. And there they laid Ethna on her bed; hut she closed her eyes and spake no word. So day after day passed, and still she never spake or smiled, but seemed like one in a trance.

And great sorrow fell upon every one, for they feared she had eaten of the fairy food, and that the enchantment would never be broken. So her husband was very miserable. But one evening as he was riding home late, he heard voices in the air, and one of them said--"It is now a year and a day since the young lord brought home his beautiful wife from Finvarra; but what good is she to him? She is speechless and like one dead; for her spirit is with the fairies though her form is there beside him."

Then another voice answered--

"And so she will remain unless the spell is broken, he must unloose the girdle from her waist that is fastened with an enchanted pin, and burn the girdle with fire, and throw the ashes before the door, and bury the enchanted pin in the earth; then will her spirit come back from Fairy-land, and she will once more speak and have true life."

Hearing this the young lord at once set spurs to his horse, and on reaching the castle hastened to the room where Ethna lay on her couch silent and beautiful like a waxen figure. Then, being determined to test the truth of the spirit voices, he untied the girdle, and after much difficulty extracted the enchanted pin from the folds. But still Ethna spoke no word; then he took the girdle and burned it with fire, and strewed the ashes before the door, and he buried the enchanted pin in a deep hole in the earth, under a fairy thorn, that no hand might disturb the spot. After which he returned to his young wife, who smiled as she looked at him, and held forth her hand. Great was his joy to see the soul coming back to the beautiful form, and he raised her up and kissed her; and speech and memory came back to her at that moment, amid all her former life, just as if it had never been broken or interrupted; but the year that her spirit had passed in Fairyland seemed to her but as a dream of the night, from which she had just awoke.

After this Finvarra made no further efforts to carry her off; but the deep cut in the hill remains to this day, and is called "The Fairy's Glen." So no one can doubt the truth of the story as here narrated."

So, this Finvarra fellow and his band of merry fairies take fancy to mortal women, bewitch them with their spells or music, and carry them off to the fairy land. Accounts differ as to what happens to them afterwards. Some say that they awaken next morning in their beds, with no recollection of what happened, and are given a power to seduce any man as they see fit. Others say that the fairies keep them for seven years, until they get old and ugly, as time flows differently in their realm, and then are returned to the world of mortals, but are given fairy powers in recompense.

Either way, I do not think we can afford a detour, even for the most magnificent sight this part of the Dreaming. If anything, they should get in line after Morpheus. So I figure a little safety net wouldn't hurt us.

Any suggestions?

Fangshi, can they teach us Tru Celtic Metal? :lol:

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Cropper nods, "Aye, we know the bag men. Drove them back to their forests millenia ago. I dare say we beat them so badly they have hardly set foot outside their homeland since!" he looks quite proud of himself as he says this.

She ponders your question and finally answers, "I think I remember him mentioning something about a fairy in passing. When he was a younger man he came across a púca, some sort of fairy, and he-"

Cropper cuts her off with a cough, "No need to be telling stories like that Cousin Lys, no need at all!" he seems quite embarrassed, "The Mazzarin won us to his service, no need to go into details or any of that."

You ask him if maybe he would like to tell the story since he does not wish her to.

He stumbles and stutters then sighs, "Well, you see. Sometimes, not all the time mind you, not even most of the time, but some of the time, we like to have a bit of fun. Well, and when we are having fun we often like to take on the shape of horses, black horses, and sometimes we give some folks a bit of a scare you see," he raises his hands, open palmed, "But nothing permanent, not least too permanent. Well, me and my brothers there we were having a bit of fun, harmless fun to be sure, just a bit of fun and we come across this fellow in daffodil robes with a staff of solid gold. And we say to ourselves, we say, 'This fellow looks awfully full of himself," so we decide to play a trick on him..." Cropper sighs, "Trick didn't work. He hops up right onto the back of Brother Bounder and before we even know what is happening he has plucked out the hair of his tail. Right there on the spot he weaves a harness and bridle for dear brother and he begins to ride him, ride him! A free son of the hills! He rides him like any other horse so we try to flee but he chases us right. He chases us over hill and through dale and he rides us all down, then he plucks our tails and makes harnesses and bridles for us too. He said he was going to use us to pull his carriage..." the hunter drops his gaze, "He was going to play a mighty fine trick on us you see but we begged and he relented, the Mazzarin made us swear an oath and though we are sometimes forgetting it he always has a way of making us remember when he needs to. He made us take him to the King, a I tell you did we get a beating for that! Don't know what he said to the King, don't know what the King said back, but the two of them, they came to a right proper arrangement eventually."

I am sure they could teach you many things if you would cooperate fully. :lol:

No METAL though, that is demon magic and Morpheus is your man, er, demon lord for that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nope. Not going to happen. :P

Though having fairies in the Kingdom takes the story up a few notches. That's so freaking cool, man!

Can we make an alliance with them? Pretty please? We are, like, the closest thing the universe has to fairies - pretty, dickish, spiteful, freedom-loving and a bit trollish, but quite honorable and a great ally to have if you treat us decently. Also very annoying to have as an enemy. This would be a match made in HEVANZ!

Can we make a lore check to see if we remember anything about fairies? Those years spent in the archives should leave at least something in our thick head.

^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure.

Rolling...

Hah! You botched this one! :smug:

About all you can remember from your time in the archives is this:

Some of the cities in the Province have old folk tales that talk about supernatural beings, much like men only different in small ways (animal parts, amber eyes and so on).

Supposedly these beings inhabited the lands west of the Cloudspine in the early ages of the world but they were driven out by a race of heroes, mortal men, who then seized the land for their own.

From what you can remember these 'people of the mounds' fled to parts unknown but lived on in the stories of the West, used to scare children and keep them inside at night.

That is it I am afraid.

Well, I can think of one way you could win them over but I doubt the 'Dex is interested in that. :lol:

I don't know to be honest, the dice and your actions both have far greater say in the matter than I do.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.