Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think this is a good idea for the reasons I have already listed.

It is not that Cropper breaks oaths or is particularly malicious/mischevious. It is that he forgets things. He can't help himself, that is how he is.

If a fish forgets you don't have gills and tells you to dive for 10 minutes, you'll probably drown.

Put it to a vote if you want, but I am against it.

Besides, is there a reason we are taking oaths from him? He does not owe us anything last time I've checked.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't give a fuck about metal. I think it was a red herring all along. I want us to use more time on healing magic altogether.

Singing magic, sheesh... Vain people all around. Who cares how it gets started, as long as the opposition is left dead and we're victorious...

Nevill

Arcane
I don't give a fuck about metal.
Using_deviantart_is_heresy__by_Mr_Culexus.jpg
I hope this doesn't turn into a Yuhe Finger debate... :roll:

Azira said:
Singing magic, sheesh... Vain people all around.
Who are you and what have you done with Azira?
TWM sings because he's got class. Sure, he is a narcissistic, psychopathic creep, but he's got class.

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't give a fuck about metal. I think it was a red herring all along. I want us to use more time on healing magic altogether.
We still have the Heron Guard's scrolls to decipher for that. That list of unstudied scrolls/books Fangshi drafted put it in perspective for me:
Compendium of the Dreaming - This is your gift from Taide. The spells it contains are of two kinds. The first are her spells that you don't know, things like Enthralling Laughter or Delightful Conversationalist. They would help you perform better in social situations. A large chunk of the text also has to do with general tips on how to be less abrasive and how to get your way without resorting to violence. The second part of the book contains a smattering of spells taken from the Brothers Deitfried. They seem to be mostly mentalist spells with names like, 'Withering Slight', 'Enraging Jab', 'Contagious Joke', 'Maddening Smile', 'Serene Presence' and the like. Most of them deal with bringing about specific emotional states in the target and they are all quite elegantly crafted. The structures involved have been pared down to the bare minimum needed to get the spell to work, this should make these spells a bit quicker than even your normal mental spells and you think if you study these spells long enough and really master the text you will be able to apply these same principles to make your own spells sleeker and faster. The seeds are there to create another mode of casting.

Purple Sun scroll - Nanshe's scroll detailing the opening steps of the Purple Sun spell. You can not read it so you do not know what it is actual about beyond your first hand experience of the spell.

Vermilion Spellbook - It is in Bruig, a bit archaic but nothing you can't handle. If you had to date it, you would say it is likely from the height of the Old Cath Bruig, maybe around the time of Connacht. It seems it is the property of a mage calling himself the 'Last of the Never Were'. You take a moment to reflect on the seeming need of mages to choose such odd titles for themselves and then you press on. From what you can figure out in the few hours you spend on the text it is a collection of offensive oriented spells. A few seem to be area based while others are for single targets. The theory behind them is a bit convoluted and quite outdated and yet you notice a few principles that seem to be absent from your own attack spells that might be useful. It would take a lot of study though to isolate and apply them. The running theme of the text seems to be the marriage of fire and earth elemental magic to create caustic flames and pastes that burn like fire. There is also a ritual at the end that claims to extend the users life, it seems to involve human sacrifice and a great deal of cinnabar, you are not sure what side effects it might have or how exactly it would work though it too seems to draw on aspects associated with earth and fire.

Amber Spellbook - It is written in the runic script of the Northmen. You can not read it.

Green Spellbook - It is written in some sort of demonic script, you can not read it.

The Thin White Mage's tome - on loan to Nephila, you did not have a chance to read it so you do not know what is in it

An Elemental Tome - given to Mayer as a security on your loan. This seemed like a fairly straight forward, general purpose primer on the use of elemental magic. It contained two or three example spells for each sub school and ways to achieve the necessary state of mind to strengthen them. You did not spend enough time studying it to figure out what exactly it contained aside from a number of direct damage spells.

A Worn Book: Golems for dummies - given to Mayer as a security on your loan. This book might be a joke or it may be something more. You don't know.

Half a dozen unsorted spell pages - given to Mayer as a security on your loan. These seemed to be related to the weather, lightning and storms but you did not spend any significant time looking at them.

Gullveig's tome - given to Mayer as a security on your loan. This was in a language you don't understand so you do not know.

Five Spellbooks written in the language of the Spider Goddess - given to Mayer as a security on your loan. Again, you do not know.

Mystery Box - There could be anything in here, it might be a spellbook.

The Heron Scrolls - These radiated a aura of peace and serenity. If you had to guess they dealt with healing magic though you did not study them in depth.

The Ancient Tablet - You are not sure what this is.

The Gate Tablet - This contained the theory behind the Gate spell you worked for Eris.

One large Unsorted Collection of Scavenged Spellbooks - Lots of these are in language you do not understand at all or do not understand in part. A lot of them are in the Spider Goddess' language. And many of the others are in demonic. Of the ones that are in Bruig, they are all in Old Bruig, and that slowed your progress a fair bit. You spent most of your time simply determining that they were, in fact, spellbooks. Then you filed them in the vault for safe keeping and left. They could be just about anything. If you had to guess you would say most of them belong to the popular schools of magic though you can't guarantee that.

Musical Puzzle Box - Derry's gift to Taide. It contains scrolls for a number of spells Derryth thinks will be useful. Most of the are either physical spells or mental spells and they are split between spells that improve the caster's perception/senses and spells that can be used to misdirect or confuse a target.

Scroll of the Warrior's Mask - The first scroll produced by your puzzle box was the Warrior's Mask, you had the Deitfrieds make a permanent copy rather than a single use scroll since Morpheus was paying anyway.
We already have enough KNOWLEDGE! to gain, we just lack the time to process all of this. I'm going to hold off on getting any new spells right now.
Revised vote: 1. D>C; 2. B; 3. C; 4. Aiv

Nevill

Arcane
I'm going to hold off on getting any new spells right now.
I'd say that if a spell is easy to learn (i.e. no weeks/months/years to master) and immediately useful or simply conducive to our immediate survival - like, say, Invisibility - then I would still learn it.

Otherwise I would prefer to get something that makes it more likely for us to live until the next breather.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Can we finally talk to our elephants when their handlers aren't looking? Perhaps distract them, or summon them to a briefing or something.

Sure. I knew I was forgetting something. Lyssa has finished your bracelets, I will add them to the character sheets when I get a moment. If I forget to do it then just gently nag me until I do. :lol:

Nevill said:
I want to know about them - their names, where are they from, how did they end in the hands of the Hounds, are there other herds of elephants around, what do they think about our expedition, what do they think about our companions, and if they would be interested in working with us directly.

So, you have Berty distract the handlers. It takes a bit of doing, but with the help of six tent pegs, a rotten pumpkin and his goose he manages it.

When you are alone with the elephants you test out your new bracelets and they work. The elephants are quite shocked at first and have no real desire to talk to you. They seem to fear punishment for doing so.

Lys manages to reassure them that no harm will come to them and one of them, an older female, steps forward cautiously to speak for the group.

She looks like she has seen better days, her hide is scarred from numerous wounds and her right tusk looks a bit worn and cracked. It probably bothers her immensely. It definitely bothers Lyssa, who curses the Hounds under her breath.

You decide that you best start the conversation before Lyssa decides to go and murder all the handlers...

The elephant introduces herself as Similce, she informs you that she is the matriarch, the dominant cow, of this herd. Though she admits that four elephants is not much of a herd.

With her are two younger cows and a bull. The younger cows are named Ayzebel and Sophoniba. Ayzebel is a little shorter and younger than Sophoniba but otherwise you can't really tell the difference between them.

Lyssa tells you that they hold themselves differently, Ayzebel is less sure of herself and more timid, on closer inspection Ayzebel does have fewer scars on her face and front than the other two. You deduce from this that she is used less than the others in an offensive capacity..

Off to one side is the only bull (male elephant) amongst their numbers. He is huge and heavily scarred. He refuse to speak directly to you, instead he asks Similce about you and responds to your questions through her. He seems to be in a perpetually bad mood.

She says his name is Hanno.

They are from the south. Two, maybe three weeks journey south of Stoneheim.

The Hounds abducted them.

Hanno they captured by himself, about fifteen years ago. He had drifted away from the rest of his bachelor herd and they crept up on him and sedated him. When he came to he was bound in a large wagon, headed north.

The other three were all takes at the same time. A large party of ghôls fell on their mating herd. Similce as the matriarch, rounded on the hunters to buy the calves time to escape. She fell defending them and does not know if they successfully eluded their attackers. When she came to she was in a large cage. Ayzebel and Sophoniba were in similar cages nearby.

The ghôls traded them to a group of robed humans for weapons. These robed humans took them north and traded them to the Hounds for what she would later learn is called gold.

They were sold into slavery, and that was twenty years ago.

They do not know if there are any elephant herds around but they do not think so. If you traveled south of Stoneheim maybe but they can make no guarantees.

You have not gotten any of them killed yet so they think your expedition is fine, even if pulling wagons full of humans and dwarves through the sand for days is not exactly their idea of a good time.

They don't really know much about most of your people. They like Lyssa though, she seems nice and she hates the Hounds about as much as they do.

Similce asks you what you have in mind. They would be open to a change of masters. Lyssa corrects her, you would be employers not masters. She stresses that point.

You think that maybe Lyssa should have consulted you before making such statements but she is quite passionate about the subject so it is perhaps to be expected.

Nevill said:
Is there a leader/spokesman among them?

Similce will speak for them as she is the closest thing they have to a leader. You can ask questions of the others should you wish. Ayzelbel and Sophoniba will both answer for themselves but Hanno will only talk through Similce, he ignores any question directed at him unless she asks it.

Nevill said:
What they like and what they dislike?

Well, they really liked not being caged. Also they liked not being beaten. Oh, and it was great when they did not have to be whipped every day or two. Ayzelbel says she really liked her calf, she wonders what happened to him.

Aside from that, they like fruit and tree bark... it has been a long time since they have had any tree bark... They look at you hopefully.

Sadly you have to inform them that you do not have any tree bark with you.

They seem quite disappointed.

Nevill said:
What exactly is going on between them and their handlers?

The Hounds take contracts, they then expect her people to fulfill those contracts. Sometimes it is mercenary work, sometimes they are used to move heavy objects or to build things. Sometimes it can be fun, usually it is painful.

Nevill said:
What do they want - in short term, and in a long one? Freedom? To return to their herds? To take vengeance on the Hounds?

Those all sound like great ideas to Similce. She doesn't know how she would ever find her herd though and freedom is a fool's dream. They would never be able to kill all of the Hounds and if they escaped their handlers they would be hunted by the rest of the mercenaries or they would starve in an unfamiliar land or they would be devoured by roving ghôls. There are only four of them after all.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Ayzelbel and Sophoniba will both answer for themselves but Hannon will only talk through Similce, he ignores any question directed at him unless she asks it.
Ask Similce what his deal is.

Similce asks you what you have in mind. They would be open to a change of masters. Lyssa corrects her, you would be employers not masters. She stresses that point.
Well, it is quite simple, actually.

We would contract their services until the end of the campaign. We would not lie to them, things are going to get very dangerous, but it is not like we are in a different position from them. We can only promise that we will do what we can to get everyone through this.

In return, upon the campaign's end we will hire them into King Albrecht's service and do what we can so that elephants were classified as a 'class 3 combat weapon', making their use illegal by anyone but the State. Meaning, effectively, that no one but the King can legally claim ownership over them or any other elephant in the Kingdom. And we will see to it that the Crown treats them fairly and does not seek to expand its 'arsenal'.

It is not exactly the freedom they are looking for, but it is not a life of slavery either. It is military service, and I will let them decide if it is a price worth paying so that no other elephants could be enslaved with impunity.

The Hounds are probably going to be pissed about that, but to hell with them.

Would Lyssa be satisfied with this solution?

Sometimes it can be fun
What kind of jobs are fun for them?

How do they feel about our mice? They have seen mice with us, right?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Ask Similce what his deal is.

He does not like humans.

Nevill said:
Well, it is quite simple, actually.

We would contract their services until the end of the campaign. We would not lie to them, things are going to get very dangerous, but it is not like we are in a different position from them. We can only promise that we will do what we can to get everyone through this.

In return, upon the campaign's end we will hire them into King Albrecht's service and do what we can so that elephants were classified as a 'class 3 combat weapon', making their use illegal by anyone but the State. Meaning, effectively, that no one but the King can legally claim ownership over them or any other elephant in the Kingdom. And we will see to it that the Crown treats them fairly and does not seek to expand its 'arsenal'.

It is not exactly the freedom they are looking for, but it is not a life of slavery either. It is military service, and I will let them decide if it is a price worth paying so that no other elephants could be enslaved with impunity.

The Hounds are probably going to be pissed about that, but to hell with them.

That would require a vote.

Nevill said:
Would Lyssa be satisfied with this solution?

She would prefer to kill the handlers but she might settle for that. At least she claims it would be enough.

Nevill said:
What kind of jobs are fun for them?

Building things mostly. Sometimes she pretends it is a game.

Nevill said:
How do they feel about our mice? They have seen mice with us, right?

They have nothing against mice in particular. No phobias or anything.

Nevill

Arcane
He does not like humans.
Is that going to be a problem?

Wait, humans? Aren't the Hounds comprised mostly of dwarves? What did humans ever do to him?

That would require a vote.
Probably. I just don't know yet how to go about it. I'd like to have them for ourselves, but that would probably open a few cans of worms. On the other hand, if we really pull our weight to have the elephants re-classified, there is not a thing Egil would be able to do about it.

I also don't know what to do with the handlers. If the elephants promise us to honor their part of the deal, we should probably relieve them of their duties and take command of the elephants ourselves. I don't know if they would even argue much, considering the scale of encounters we are getting into. I doubt any of them would want to lead the charges.

She would prefer to kill the handlers but she might settle for that. At least she claims it would be enough.
Well, lookie here who is quick to deal in death.

It is quite probable that they will find their ends without our help, the way things are going.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Wait, humans? Aren't the Hounds comprised mostly of dwarves? What did humans ever do to him?

The people that captured him were humans. Also, one of the Hounds that deals with the animals is a human, fat guy with a missing eye, and he is a miserable fucker. He made life hard for Hanno.

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't think this is a good idea for the reasons I have already listed.

It is not that Cropper breaks oaths or is particularly malicious/mischevious. It is that he forgets things. He can't help himself, that is how he is. If a fish forgets you don't have gills and tells you to dive for 10 minutes, you'll probably drown.
Fangshi already confirmed that he takes his oaths seriously when he remembers them. We are going to remind him of his oath during his lessons. He'll keep it in mind. Also, he seems to like us, which would suggest a certain concern for our wellbeing.

Besides, is there a reason we are taking oaths from him? He does not owe us anything last time I've checked.
We're going to have to negotiate with him to see what it would take. The oath is there to make sure we learn properly.

Put it to a vote if you want, but I am against it.
A vote it is. Baltika9, Azira, Kz3r0, Karwelas:

Cropper could teach us shapeshifting magic: Do you want to negotiate separately with Cropper to see what it would take for him to give an oath to teach us and not leave us mode-locked or whatever?
I am of course voting in favor of negotiation. Shapeshifting is a lost art, a damn useful one at that, and as far as I can tell we'll have to have another vote to see if we accept whatever deals appear, so this is more a vote to see what our options are.

I also figure we might get more benefit out of shapeshifting given Lyssa's animal empathy and possibly lessons from Icelos down the road (who can only teach us dream shapeshifting, not real world shapeshifting).

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Why?

I think it's better to negotiate that shit before we agree on the favor from Finnbheara. I'm still voting Fvii myself.

Ghaad

Novice
Would 1Fii help us heal Bari? Or make him into a dwaf-cyborg / THE BIONIC DWARF? :D

Nevill

Arcane
So. While we wait for another Sunday, I propose the fifth (or is it sixth?) choice.

5. You have spoken with the elephants. Do you want to assume direct control make a deal with them, requesting their services in exchange for getting Albrecht to take them from the Hounds' care after the campaign ends?
A. Yes, you will work with the elephants directly and restrict their handlers' access to them if they promise to behave.
B. You will keep things as they are now. No need to antagonize the mercenaries in the middle of the campaign.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi, also.

Have fairies met or fought the Singing Beasts before? Have they ever met the 'guardians' under the Royal Academy? The fish-like dwarves or something.

Just asking because they are all underground creatures and may have stumbled upon each other.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Have fairies met or fought the Singing Beasts before?

No, though they have fought things just as terrifying in the dark days of the world's prehistory. Creatures that crawled out of the black waters of the ocean, bent on conquest. Creatures that descended from the night's sky, breathing madness and horror. And finally, their greatest enemies, the Fomoire, the vile tyrants of an earlier age, though they do not wish to speak of them.

Nevill said:
Have they ever met the 'guardians' under the Royal Academy? The fish-like dwarves or something.

They have fought fish beasts that walked upright as men do but that was far to the west and thousands of years ago. They know nothing of fish-like dwarves.

Nevill said:
Just asking because they are all underground creatures and may have stumbled upon each other.

See now you have hurt Finn's feelings. He might live underground but he is not some sort of cave dwelling monster. His palace has nothing in common with the dank and dark holes such beasts dwell in.

Nevill

Arcane
His palace has nothing in common with the dank and dark holes such beasts dwell in.
Doesn't mean one of those beasts can't burrow their way to Finn's Palace. Chill, man, it was just a question.

Sooo... how long the fairies have been around? Since the creation of the world?

How much of the history of the world do they know? Do they keep records? They seem to have memories of events that no human knows of.

Have they ever come to conflict with Trow?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Sooo... how long the fairies have been around? Since the creation of the world?

Not that long. Their history goes back about 10,000 years.

Nevill said:
How much of the history of the world do they know? Do they keep records? They seem to have memories of events that no human knows of.

They have recorded history going back 7000 years (give or take a decade). It is not exhaustive and there are several gaps but the works that cover the period are considered reliable by Finn's scribes.

They also have volumes of collected legends that go back a further 3000 years but they are uncertain of how accurate those are. All the fairies that were there to see those events left with Finn's father.

Nevill said:
Have they ever come to conflict with Trow?

Yes... It is not their proudest moment though, their armies were crushed by the Trow war machine and driven out of the north east, across the mountains and into the south west where they hid and rebuilt their numbers.

Thankfully the Trow did not pursue them all the way across the continent. It is possible the Trow though they were dead.

Nevill

Arcane
They have recorded history going back 7000 years (give or take a decade). It is not exhaustive and there are several gaps but the works that cover the period are considered reliable by Finn's scribes.
What do we do to get our hands on these books?

Well, apart from an obvious suggestion from Finn. :lol:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What do we do to get our hands on these books?

Well, the two of you could start by-

Nevill said:
Well, apart from an obvious suggestion from Finn. :lol:

Oh, alright, never mind... :negative:

Ah, what else?

Well, you could ask for access to his library as you gift, that would work.

You could also accept his invitation to visit his palace but... well, fairies... It should go without saying that accepting his invite might go south on you.

Other than that you could angle for another trade with him. He seems to generally like the ladies and if you could provide him with something he would like he may be willing to let you leaf through a few tomes.

Just like Mazzarin or Morpheus, everything comes with a price and Finn is open to trading favours.

I also have a question here from Ghaad which may be stuck in the queue for a bit.

He asked if the healing magic (Fii, the prosthetic technique) could be used to help Bari.

The answer is yes, definitely. You could use it to craft new limbs for him out of living metal and he would have full control over them as if they were his own, flesh and blood, limbs. The technique may also be useful if you ever wish to design fully inorganic weapon platforms (combat golems, robots, what-have-you).

So that is a yes for his body. You would essentially rebuild the majority of it out of silver or steel or whatever you want really.

Of course, you may want to ask yourself if it is a good idea to give the dwarven state an unstoppable, metal, killing machine with few to no moral qualms...

robocop.gif

:lol:

As for his mind, Derry won't know how useful either method could be for repairing his mind until she sees the theory behind the spells. There are a number of routes you could take to 'fix' his mind, ranging from Inflitration. To enter his mind a fix the problems by hand. To simply erasing the distressing memories, to a more prolonged therapy approach.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Nevill

Arcane
You could also accept his invitation to visit his palace but... well, fairies... It should go without saying that accepting his invite might go south on you.
Does he offer us an invitation and for how long does his offer stand? :)

For that matter, where is his Palace?

He seems to generally like the ladies and if you could provide him with something he would like he may be willing to let you leaf through a few tomes.
Well, what is he into? Ladies and horses we know about. What else tickles his fancy? Music? Treasures? Art? Artefacts? Bibbiano cheese? :lol:

The answer is yes, definitely. You could use it to craft new limbs for him out of living metal and he would have full control over them as if they were his own, flesh and blood, limbs. The technique may also be useful if you ever wish to design fully inorganic weapon platforms (combat golems, robots, what-have-you).
How long would it take us to get to the level where we could apply the technique reliably for a major operation, like Bari's or Neel's? Considering we already have the knowledge of Greater Heal, of course.

I am asking about an approximation.

ranging from Inflitration. To enter his mind a fix the problems by hand. To simply erasing the distressing memories
Wait, can you even erase memories without Infiltration? How?

to a more prolonged therapy approach.
What do you mean?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Does he offer us an invitation and for how long does his offer stand? :)

Sure, he already made the offer though he played it off as a joke. If you show interest he will accept. The offer will like stand for as long as the ladies are pretty he likes you.

Nevill said:
For that matter, where is his Palace?

He does not trust you nearly enough to tell you that.

Nevill said:
Well, what is he into? Ladies and horses we know about. What else tickles his fancy? Music? Treasures? Art? Artefacts? Bibbiano cheese? :lol:

Yes, any of that would likely do. If he does not have a use for it his wife or someone at court might. It would need to be something unique though, he has been around for a while and has seen a lot.

Nevill said:
How long would it take us to get to the level where we could apply the technique reliably for a major operation, like Bari's or Neel's? Considering we already have the knowledge of Greater Heal, of course.

I am asking about an approximation, of course.

Since you have no prior experience with the field, probably years.

Now, if you did have experience it could go significantly faster. It is just a shame you don't have anyone with you who is a natural with machines, anyone that has an intuitive grasp of how the function and fit together... If you had a person like that you might make all sorts of progress... Too bad, right? :lol:

Nevill said:
Wait, can you even erase memories without Infiltration? How?

You don't know yet. You would need time to analyze the theory behind Infiltration and see what you can come up with. You would just need something that can pin point specific memories and completely erase them, it might be doable or it might not but it is an avenue you could pursue.

Nevill said:
What do you mean?

Derry: 'Alright Bari, show me on the doll where the demons touched you...'

I don't know. You have spells that can disorient people and spells that can calm them. Perhaps you can talk Bari and co through their trauma with the help of soothing magic. IT would likely take a fair bit of time though.

Just another possible avenue to pursue, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom