Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Baltika9

Arcane
Miosguinn is The Deceiver, calling it right now.

Why would we attack Miosquinn now? What would be our motive, because he might be hiding something? Did he give us any reason to not trust him? Did he try to betray us? Disobeyed our orders? Did he not in fact act as our most useful party member in everything he was involved? Did he not save our party and us personally who knows how many times? Look, could he be hiding something, of course. But outright attacking him places him against us regardless of his true loyalties, and who can blame him for that. Fuck it, unless he actually starts doing something against our interests let him have his privacy. Water is wet, illusionist mages have secrets, big deal. I wouldn't even care if he is hiding the fact that he isn't even human, as long as he is doing his job (and so far he has been doing that admirably) he's ok in my book.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He has a telling name. And his apprentice lives up to it.

We've killed for less.

Absinthe

Arcane
Fangshi, thanks for the riddles. The Sumerian ones really intrigue me. Too bad some of them rely on word-play that does not translate well. I also took a look at the Einstein puzzle, spent a while, and solved it mentally. Out of curiosity, why did your group hate it? Did they not diagram it, did it feel too much like busywork, or...?

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Did they not diagram it, did it feel too much like busywork, or...?

Yes, Einstein's riddle is nothing to complicated, it has no real tricks but it does take a while to sort through and they refused to just map it out. So they argued for ten minutes or so with each other and picked the wrong answer... can't win them all I suppose.

Alright, the polls are closed:

Final Count:
Baltika9 1a Boshen 3- 4a
Smashing Axe 1a Nine 3a 4a
Anabanana 1a Sekhie 3a 4a
tuluse 1a Nine 3a 4b
Zero Credibility 1a Shodan>Nine 3a 4b
Azira 1a Boshen 3a 4a
treave 1a Nine 3a 4a
Kz3r0 1a Salome 3b 4a
Nevill 1a Nine 3a 4a
Sunnmøring 1a Sekhenun 3a 4a
Jester 1a Mortis 3a 4a
Stygian Lurker 1a Boshen 3a 4a
Grimgravy 1a Nine 3a 4b

Current Tally:
A) 13 votes
B)

Congratulations you are now the proud owner of a talking head.

Boshen 3 votes
Sekhenun/Sekhie 2 vote
Nine, The Orb of Ultimate Power 6 votes
Salome 1 vote
Mortis 1 vote

Her name will be Nine, The Orb of Ultimate Power, she should get a kick out of that.

A) 11 votes
B) 1 vote

The doctor will get his stone back.

A) 10 votes
B) 3 votes

And you will try and unravel the spells on the Knights.

Look for the update in about 12 - 14 hrs maybe.

Fangshi

Arcane
I got the update done early, not too long but important choices at the end.

Chapter 10: Uninvited Guests

They stand behind you chattering, "I think the key to the spell is sorrow, think of sadness and how to relieve it and-"

Well maybe bickering would be more accurate, "Serpent, stop giving advice on things you know nothing about. These are Stygians they are bound by hatred, she has to find a way to calm-"

"Gentlemen! Will you shut the fuck up!" the three of you are inspecting the nearest Stygian Knight and their constant attempts to "help" are driving you mad.

If you can figure out how the spells are constructed you will probably be able to unwind them and free the souls trapped inside. It is just a happy coincidence that in doing so you will gain even greater arcane knowledge. Of course one wrong move on your part and they will all activate and attack, "Serpent, go get Nine and see if she can help with this."

Serpent carefully moves back to the altar and retrieves Nine, "Miss Nine, we could use your assistance with the knights..." you can hear Serpent explaining the situation to her but you have to stay focused on the spells you are unravelling.

"Well dearie, let me take a look at this," Serpent props the head up so that she can properly view the remaining enchantments, she giggles, "Oh this is easy! I can't believe you have not figured it out yet."

"Well then out with it you insufferable, scatterbrained relic!" your decision to take Nine with you has done nothing to improve Miosguinn's mood.

"No!" she sticks out her tongue and closes her eyes.

Serpent tries to coax the answer from her, "Please Miss Nine it would be a great help to us."

She responds alternating between a sweet tone and complete rage, "Oh dear, I would love to help you and Derryth but I will not aid this ungrateful little insect!"

Their bickering is actually making the task harder, you spare just enough of your attention to try and smooth out the situation, "Well, what if he apologizes?"

Serpent turns her to look at you, "Ummm... It would be a start. Yes, if he apologizes then I will help!"

The doctor understands what he must do and with considerable effort manages a few words, "I... I am sorry Nine-"

"Not good enough," the head practically sings, "Use my full title. I am your superior after all."

You had decided you can her NINE, THE ORB OF ULTIMATE POWER, as a joke at first but she has really taken to the name. In fact she refuses to even listen to Miosguinn unless he uses the full name and title.

Miosguinn sighs, "I am sorry Nine, the Orb of Ultimate Power, for insulting you. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

Seems she is so pleased with herself that she does not even notice the reference to her misplaced body, "Well as the Orb of Ultimate Power I suppose I must humour the little people of the world. Very well you are forgiven... for now," she breaks out into another giggling fit, yawns and turns her gaze back to the knight you are working on.

After but a few brief moments of reflection she begins her lecture in a singsong voice, "Now then my dear apprentices the answer is quite simple. A Stygian Knight is a defender, a guardian, a protector perhaps. They are bound by duty. In this case the duty of containing me. So stop fighting them with your spells. Instead just lie to them, give them a memory that I have been permanently destroyed and they will stop fighting your efforts to free them."

With that final tip you begin to work the last spells necessary to release the spirit but these are expertly made Stygian Knights and you struggle a little. Nine calmly guides you through each step and quickly, quietly, and without even realizing it the magics binding the Stygian Knight to this world unravel and the armour falls to the floor. From there it is a simple matter to repeat the process. All told it takes an hour and a half with Nine coaching you through different techniques to free all of the spirits.

Nine is a very good teacher and unlike every other mage you have ever met she seems completely unconcerned with hording her knowledge. In fact you have learnt more about magical theory from her in one hour than in the rest of your life combined. Serpent and Miosguinn both give her their complete attention as well, seems she is teaching you things the good doctor was not even aware were possible. The experience excites you but also leaves you a little terrified of her...

With the knights freed the room lies plundered, you lead your companions back across the room mindful of any traps and the four of you return to camp.

------------------------------------------------

Ten minutes from camp you hear the sounds of battle..

As you leave the tunnel and re-enter the basement complete chaos greets you. The four of you stand there, in shock, but it seems that no one is looking in your direction, no one knows you are here, "Alright, there are three of us and-"

"I have to find my apprentice!" Miosguinn casts a basic illusion and disappears. Well great now you are down to two mages and a head...

Your camp is under attack by a couple dozen spider-like creatures ranging from the size of a large dog to some bigger than a horse. The spiders are accompanied by twenty humans, they all wear black, silver and red robes but three of them seem to be better equipped than the others.

Your forces have been split in half by the attack. But your keen eyesight allows you to pick out almost all of the important details.

Five of the dwarves under Jori's leadership are taking the brunt of the attack. You count two of the dwarven scouts, Jori and his two shield dwarves. The two scouts are providing cover and thinning out the horde while Jori and his bodyguards handle any survivors. They have managed to draw the attention of maybe eighteen spiders and one of the three enemy leaders. The cloaked figure wields a large curved blade with grace and skill but you can tell that Jori is the better fighter as he holds off the figure and three more attackers as well. The dwarves are doing well all things considered but you are worried they may be overrun.

On the other side of the camp Thaïs, Ithapi, Amena, Ari and Bari have set up a barricade. Ari and Bari have set up proper kill zones and are hitting their targets with a speed and accuracy that is uncommon for a dwarf. Thaïs and Amena are picking off any survivors with spells and Thaïs' crossbow while Itapi is hurling large crates and barrels at their attackers. They are easily repelling any spiders that come their way but one of the enemy leaders wielding a large black bow and riding on the back of a particularly large spider is marshaling a dozen of her fellows for another attack.

Off to one side stands a figure in plain black and silver robes with an unadorned silver staff. At first you did not even notice her, she does not move or attack and does not communicate with the other attackers. She is just watching it all unfold.

Finally by the entrance to the lower tunnels stands a figure in very elaborate black, silver and red robes, he wears a great horned headdress and is shouting instructions to everyone around him. He is surrounded by two of the robed figures and a pair of spiders the size of large dogs.

You do not see Gareth, Brigit, Tyrvard and three of the dwarves. They are probably still somewhere in the warehouse above and of course the Children are also missing.

At the moment the two sides are about even. You have the advantage in skill and sheer firepower but they have the numbers and a certain fanatical determination. You may be able to help score a victory here but where should you direct your efforts?

1. How do you want to help?

A) Help Jori's dwarves against the enemy spiders and the swordsman.

B) Help Thaïs, the kids, and the pathfinders against the archer and her men.

C) You feel compelled to find out who the lone figure is. You approach her to start a dialogue as insane as it seems in the middle of a battle.

D) You are drawn to the lone figure but this is a battle, you attack her. Once beaten you can interrogate her at your leisure.

E)Attack the enemy leader using the element of surprise. Take him out and your attackers may retreat.

F) You don't help, you flee back into the tunnel and wait for the fighting to stop...

G) It should be possible to project a mass suggestion onto the attackers and cause them to rout. It will take a lot of power however and it may well fail.

H) Freeform

2. The rest of your group is probably still upstairs, unaware of the battle below their feet. You could try and send Serpent to go find them, do you?

A) Yes - we will need the reinforcements.

B) No - they will not make it in time.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Interesting stuff. Eagerly awaiting some analysis.

edit
Leaning towards BA.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Can we try to modify warding runes to make entrapment spell or better combine false memory and mass suggestion to force them into infight like somekind of confusion spell?
If yes would say
1G) use aoe spell on A forces and order Serpent to snipe E leader
2B)

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Can we try to modify warding runes to make entrapment spell or better combine false memory and mass suggestion to force them into infight like somekind of confusion spell?

Derryth has not had time to prefect her Mass Suggestion spell so it would be very difficult to try and combine the two spells and it would take time even if it fails. So you can certainly try but I can not guarantee success, if Serpent and Nine help and you use up your Energon Cubes your odds get better but still not great, maybe 30-45% chance to succeed given the tight time frame you are working with and the stress you are under.

Now Nine could cast such a spell, she knows all sorts of useful things, but she would need the ability to cast. What you could try to do is form some sort of mental link similar to when you cast the Gate spell but stronger. She would be able to enter your mind and guide you through the spell, of course you would be granting her access to your mind and who knows what she could get up to in there...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
How difficult would it be to use suggestion on one of the spiders or bodyguards to attack the commander, relatively? Given Nine's teaching and our mastery of the suggestion spell.

Fangshi

Arcane
From the distance you are at it would be within your abilities to plant a suggestion in the mind of one of the guards.

There are a couple issues to be aware of however:

-You would need to plant a convincing suggestion in their mind. This is not too difficult mind you, essentially you would have to convince the target that the leader is someone else and hostile.

-You would have to maintain the suggestion over a distance for long enough to get the desired result. If the deception fails your target will probably stop attacking.

Both of these issues are manageable however so Derryth could give it a try. Whether or not the bodyguard could actually succeed is unknown to you of course as it would depend on just how powerful the leader is.

Not sure about the first choice - going to wait in case somebody thinks of a good plan. Right now I'm leaning towards A because it sounds like the dwarfs are in most danger to be overrun.

As for the second choice, I'm going with 2 B - I don't think sending for help is going to do us much good. Not only because it could be over by the time they get here, but also because that's the first thing the dwarfs would do and probably already did when the attack started. I think one of their missing dwarfs is probably already up there looking for our men.

edit:

going with 1 A > B; 2 B

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Now, now, it seems like some interesting bit of info came up when I tried to find some information on spiders in Myth universe.

Spider Flavor Text said:
"Connacht could no longer ignore the atrocities committed by the Spider-cult but when he assailed their shrines, no trace could be found of the Smiths of Muirthemne or their followers..."
Fangshi, is there any chance Derryth knows something about this Spider Cult, since she was so interested in the artifacts the Smiths made? It appears we ran into their followers, though I find it strange they are mostly humans, and not dwarwes.

The dwarven pathfinder thumbs through one of his books as he speaks, "Well from what we know the Smiths were skilled magic users and artificers. They had the ear of the Emperors for centuries and wielded considerable political power until the whole order was exterminated by Imperial decree during the time of Connacht."

Your quartermaster hazards a few questions in response, "But why wipe them out if they were so useful? So powerful? Did they anger the Emperor?"

His wife cuts in, "Seems the Smiths were worshipping something they should not have, some sort of Elder God or something. They traded their independence for power and when the Emperor found out he snuffed out the whole order. He made an example of them and their minions, strange spider creatures and cultists. But that comes with the territory now doesn't it, worshipping the Dark Gods has its risks."
I wonder, if some of the cultists survived, maybe some of the Smiths' descendants did as well?
I guess they are attacking because they feel the dwarves want something of theirs. That was why there was a horde of spiders attacking them in the first place. We'd have to loosen their tongues about their goals here, and fast. Withholding such information may doom our whole party.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
BB
The pathfinders are the only dwarves we can meaningfully communicate with, and Thaïs is close to us. The other dwarves we can try and get to later. So far, we need to group up. Derryth and Serpent against an army of spiders? Nope. Nuh'uh.

Oh, and back in the library, Amena was bitten by a spider, afterwards she didn't like Miosguinn much, but couldn't explain why. Illusions/thought manipulative magick?
Seems strange Miosguinn chooses this moment to disappear. Is he in with the spider cult, or are they his opponents? There is something fishy there certainly.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. How do you want to help?

G) Ask Nine about the lone figure and if there is any magic cast on the battlefield of which we should be aware.

2. The rest of your group is probably still upstairs, unaware of the battle below their feet. You could try and send Serpent to go find them, do you?

B) No - they will not make it in time.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, is there any chance Derryth knows something about this Spider Cult, since she was so interested in the artifacts the Smiths made? It appears we ran into their followers, though I find it strange they are mostly humans, and not dwarwes.

She knows a bit. The Halcyon stone does not seem to be a product of the Smiths or they would have mass produced them. As such Derryth has not investigated the Smiths or their Cult fully. She knows they were powerful, she knows where their offices were and that they are, or at least were, well guarded. She knows that they conducted brutal human sacrifices to some dark god and she knows that Connacht attacked them and wiped them out.

All the stories she has found agree on the fact that the Emperor Connacht killed every last Smith and Cultist he could find though of course she also knows that history is made by the victors and that sometime events as recorded do not match up to what really happened.

Kz3r0 said:
Ask Nine about the lone figure and if there is any magic cast on the battlefield of which we should be aware.

Sure, you ask Nine about it, this is what she says:

"Well dear, the girl over there is probably a mage. Given the staff and whatnot but she is not actually casting anything that I can tell, she really is just standing there."

"Well is there any magic being cast in this battle?"

"Right now? Just by your friends over there," she points with her tongue at Thaïs' barricade, "Of course these cultists may just be waiting to wear down your mages first but for the moment none of them are casting and there are no widespread enchantments in place."

Kz3r0

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Ask Nine about the lone figure and if there is any magic cast on the battlefield of which we should be aware.

Sure, you ask Nine about it, this is what she says:

"Well dear, the girl over there is probably a mage. Given the staff and whatnot but she is not actually casting anything that I can tell, she really is just standing there."

"Well is there any magic being cast in this battle?"

"Right now? Just by your friends over there," she points with her tongue at Thaïs' barricade, "Of course these cultists may just be waiting to wear down your mages first but for the moment none of them are casting and there are no widespread enchantments in place."
Let's try to talk to this lone figure then.

Nevill

Arcane
Come on, this is all probably a big misunderstanding. If the figure is only observing, neither commanding, nor obeying the commands, it may turn out she is the true leadership here, and the guy with the bodyguards is just a glorified sergeant. Go talk to her while you still can. I mean, this is the only choice in which you can talk to someone, the rest is just you jumping into the fight without understanding what is happening first.

You might want to cover the head, though. Just in case.

Fangshi

Arcane
Sure, though just to clarify. Derryth's intuition only tells her that the lone figure may have answers as to what is going on, nothing more.

You feel she is important but you do not know if that is good or bad and really that is all you will know without talking to her. Of course you do not know what she will do when she becomes aware of your presence nor do you know how long you will spend in conversation or how successful you may be at convincing her to do anything.

Anyway the current count is as follows:

A)
B) 4 votes
C) 4 votes
D)
E) 1 vote
F)
G) 1 vote

A) 4 votes
B) 7 votes

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, she is aware of the presence of our friends, and she does not attack, so at least I wouldn't worry about our own safety. Our friends look like they will hold their own, but we can talk to her with the caveat that if there is a breach in our defenses that threatens to kill one of ours, we will abandon the conversation and go help there immediately. The vantage point she is standing at should allow us to react to the situation on the field.

We don't know where our help is needed most currently, anyway. So let's not do anything rash.

Erebus

Arcane
Now Nine could cast such a spell, she knows all sorts of useful things, but she would need the ability to cast. What you could try to do is form some sort of mental link similar to when you cast the Gate spell but stronger. She would be able to enter your mind and guide you through the spell, of course you would be granting her access to your mind

That sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

I'm voting EA. Just because talking to the girl with the staff is the weirdest option doesn't mean it's the right one. Attacking the leader, even if we don't manage to kill him, should disorganize the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom