Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    I agree that they're not worth anything as hostages, but they might have useful informations.

^ Top  
  2. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It's the time delay that has me concerned. The more time we waste, the more difficult it will be to follow the enemy's trail, and the more time they have to prepare their defenses.

^ Top  
  3. Boxer Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Boxer
    ok you feelgooders, let me rain once more onto the parade...
    right now the timing choices look like this, with c denominating the voted in option:
    10 c

30 c

40 c

60 c

40 c

the minimum mandatory time is 30 minutes on ithapi and wizard cunt together, best case scenario
    the npc's are mandatory zero
    i shrug of the smallest possible time differnce of 5 (choice2: 10 or 15 mins) minutes to it being a biowarian choice and dm incompetence but generally taking our time means something bad is gun happen
    you fuckers took the worst case scenario in timing and imho the dm cheated and spared you already once for talking to the enemy...
    sooo
    teh choices 456 range from an additional 0, 10, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 110, 140 minutes... i think... you grabed 140...
    think about it... .. .
    dont listen to azira, he is doctor by trade...
    consider that the timing choice is binary probably and 3 way at best... meaning the mandatory worst case of 45 min is the still optimal, +another ~60 min is midway, and anything above that is baaad, mkay
    if i ware to waste additional time, i would grab the two! extra drwafs for 60 mins

VOTAN BELOW

1. Gareth and Brigit are still missing. Bari has volunteered to go find them. Do you let him?
    A) Yes - Gareth has medical experience and they are both excellent fighters. You need them down here in case another attack is launched.
    sure who cares

2. Amena is badly injured. The wounds are severe but probably not fatal:
    B) You treat her with mundane treatments. She should be fine but she will not be able to help you or cast much anytime soon. (Time: 15 min)
    wizard cunt, death to all wizards, why is there no option c that will let it die
    +15 min

3. Ithapi is badly injured. The wounds are severe but probably not fatal:
    A)You treat him with mandrake roots. He is essentially your ward and one of the few fighters you have left. The quicker he is back to full health the better. (Cost: 2 mandrake roots, Time 20 min, Bonus: extra muscle)
    mah nigga
    +20 min

4. Jari has a number of potentially mortal injuries. He will die if you do not use mandrake roots on him:
    B)Let him die. It is his fault you are in this situation to begin with and you do not want to waste that many roots.
    who is jari
    +0 min

5. Of the dwarves that fought with Jari you believe you can save two, one of the shield dwarves and one of the grenadiers but it will take mandrake roots to do it.
    B) No you do not want to waste the resources.
    wat
    +0 min

6. The swordsman or rather woman now that you get a better look at her is still alive as is the archer. They are both badly wounded but you could stabilize them and take them as hostages. They may have information about the Damned and you may be able to use them to bargain for Serpent's freedom.
    C) You finish them off.
    i aint feeding the enemy
    +0 min

7. Nine has offered to train both you and your circle in combat magics to help with what is ahead. You are not sure what she has in mind but it could definitely help.
    B) You refuse her help.
    more fucking wizards...

8. The silver and black spider gave you a ring. Do you keep it?
    B) Throw it away
    denton, its a bomb!
    a bomb

^ Top  
  4. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I'm going to flop from 1C to 1A.

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Current Tally:

Azira 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6c 7a 8a
    Anabanana 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6d 7a 8a
    Zero Credibility 1c 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Kz3r0 1a 2a 3a 4a 5b 6b 7a 8a
    Grimgravy 1c 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Erebus 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Smashing Axe 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6c 7a 8a
    tuluse 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6c 7a 8a
    Jester 1d 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Nevill 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6d>c 7a 8a
    Rex Feral 1d 2a 3a 4a 5b 6b 7a 8a
    Boxer 1a 2b 3a 4b 5b 6c 7b 8b

A) 8 votes
    B)
    C) 2 votes
    D) 2 votes

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

A) 3 votes
    B) 9 votes

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

A) 9 votes
    B) 3 votes

A)
    B) 6 votes
    C) 4 (5) votes
    D) 2 vote

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

Edit:
    I will close things up in 12-16 hrs to give anyone that has not voted a chance. Expect an update maybe 8-10 hrs later.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So, if we only need information, why do we help the enemy and give them a ride in our wagon? What stops them from sabotaging us once all of our people are busy? Or if you hit an obstacle where a horse can't pass, do you leave them in the wagon with all of your supplies, or are you carrying them in your hands? These guys are not all that harmless, too, especially the swordswoman.

If you want information, why not interrogate them right here, Jack Bauer style? Tyrvard does not have much to do while you heal your own men anyway. Or do you want to make friends with the cultists?

^ Top  
  7. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Yeah, if that is the case, then I'm flopping to 1A as well (not that it's necessary since it's leading already).

As for the hostages, well it seems like a fucking waste not to try it. Maybe they will have a value as a hostages, maybe they won't. But personally I think they are far from worthless, simply because they are high ranking fighters in our opponents force. Unless are enemy is a stupid caricature of an evil overlord (complete with an evil laughter and possibly a white cat), this makes them valuable. The problem is we are already playing the hostage game, whether we like it or not. They have Serpent, so wouldn’t it be nice if we had something as well? With a good negotiator it could very well work. Any info we can get from them is just a bonus.

And the only cost for that is time. Fine, time is valuable, but are we really in that much of a rush to get somewhere? These cultists where probably here for years, chances are they are here to stay and their defences won't get that much stronger in one hour.

^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    We hurt them bad, the more time they have to rally, the worse we'll be. Maybe they'll send forth another party to hammer us. Or maybe it was a legitimate retreat, and they're off-balance and there's little more to their forces than what we've seen.

In either case, wasting time will turn bad for us.

^ Top  
  9. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    It's possible, sure. But will it make that much of a difference? Let's say we heal Amena first (because she is another healer and cuts all further times in half). That's 10 minutes. We then have to spend 15 minutes on Ithapi, 20 on Jori and 30 on the dwarfs. That's 75 minutes. Will another 20 minutes make that much of a difference? And keep in mind that we are still missing a good part of our team and there is a good chance we will have to find out what happened to them before we head out. Who knows how much time will pass before we can finally head out.

Oh, and we don't have a slightest idea of where we should go in any case or what defences ore waiting for us there, so rushing somewhere blindly could easily end badly. Maybe the hostages could help with that as well, maybe not. Hell, maybe they won't be useful as hostages. But we don't know that, just because they are an evil spider cult doesn't mean that they put zero value on one of their own. That's not evil, that's stupid evil. And 20 minutes (even less if our missing men return before we finish triage) is a small price to pay in case we need them later to get Serpent back in one piece.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, aren't you in for a surprise when you try and exchange cultists for Serpent's life.

It looks like Christine's faction is different from the one that attacked you. Maybe accepting the ring is not such a great idea after all. We might want to ask Nine about that.

Figure out yourself how much Christine or her allies must value the lives of the hostages if they want us to push forward through the corpses of their brethren.

^ Top  
  11. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well then, maybe we can use the hostages against the other side in this little conflict. Hell, just asking them about what the fuck is gong on - like, who is it that actually has Serpent and where we can find them would be worth it. If they are really a different faction to them they might just tell us. So at least we could find some use for them. Killing them on the other hand gets us what exactly? 20 minutes of time to do what? I would understand if there is some other cost involved, but if success or failure depends on those 20 minutes we are probably already fucked because it's going to take much longer than that for us to get out of here.

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Kinda hard to do diplomacy with an attitude like that:
    Sounds like they want us dead above anything else.

The only use for the enemy soldiers is maybe to get information, but that does not quite necessitate saving them.

Two less enemies in our wagon to worry about, for one.
    We don't know how critical the time is, and therefore, I'd rather not waste in on something I do not find useful.

^ Top  
  13. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Hmmmm.

What about 6D. We set everyone who's not helping with healing and good with people to interrogate the enemies while Derryth and Amena are healing the others, using healing aid as carrot? And then we can finish them off afterwards.

(Yes I'm officially flopping to 6D.)

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Which, basically, equates to Tyrvard and Thais. They can play good cop/bad cop.
    If we like what we hear, then maybe we help them. Though I still don't know why play nice with people who got 5 of us killed/missing in action and intended to take us as slaves.

I can get behind this plan. 6D>6C.

^ Top  
  15. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well then vote for it. To me C just seems like a waste - if you had good luck to capture someone important on the opposing side, you kill them to save yourself 20 minutes when you are already spending hours here? They are heavily wounded (at least one with a broken leg), we do have ropes to tie them up, wagon to move them and enough common sense to have someone watch them I hope. I doubt they are going to hobble away.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We are not spending hours. In fact, even if we save them, we are spending only an hour and a half. 90 minutes. Then we should move.

20 minutes is almost a quarter of this time. It might matter.

Personally, I hope that Bari will find Garreth and we keep the whole affair under an hour. I want as much people as possible on their feet as fast as possible.

^ Top  
  17. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Hmm, well we're spending over one hour just patching holes in our men. After that we will have to find out what happened to the rest of our expedition (both our men and the dwarfs) if our dwarf ranger doesn't locate them by then. Who knows how long that might take, but no way I'm I for leaving until we find them, alive or dead. And then we also voted for Nine giving mages a lesson in combat magic. Are we taking this lecture from a talking head while travelling through a very hostile territory? Isn't that just a bit dangerous, especially now that our illusionist pulled a disappearance act? And where are we going? After the Serpent - fine, where is he? Without info on where we can find whoever took him we will just be stumbling around blindly. I think we'll be lucky if we start moving the same bloody day. And that's ok by me, because rushing could easily end up killing us here. Hunker down, heal our wounds, get some info and think where we're moving next and what's the plan when we get there.

^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Current Tally/Final Tally?:
    Azira 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6c 7a 8a
    Anabanana 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6d 7a 8a
    Zero Credibility 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Kz3r0 1a 2a 3a 4a 5b 6b 7a 8a
    Grimgravy 1c 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Erebus 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Smashing Axe 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6c 7a 8a
    tuluse 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6c 7a 8a
    Jester 1d 2a 3b 4a 5a 6b 7a 8a
    Nevill 1a 2a 3b 4a 5a 6d>c 7a 8a
    Rex Feral 1d 2a 3a 4a 5b 6b 7a 8a
    Boxer 1a 2b 3a 4b 5b 6c 7b 8b

A) 9 votes
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 2 votes

Bari will go searching for your missing party members.

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

You will use mandrake roots on Amena, she will be able to help you heal everyone else and can immediately begin casting spells if necessary

A) 3 votes
    B) 9 votes

You will not use mandrake roots on Ithapi, it will take the better part of a week for him to fully recover

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

You will use mandrake roots on Jori

A) 9 votes
    B) 3 votes

You will save Jori's followers

A)
    B) 6 votes
    C) 4 (5) votes
    D) 2 votes

You will save your enemies' lives

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

You will accept Nine's training

A) 11 votes
    B) 1 vote

You will keep the ring

And it looks like you are now completely out of mandrake roots. Easy come, easy go...

Did the lot of you want more time to discuss the options? Otherwise I will close them soon since most of the choices have solid leads.

Edit:
    Alright polls closed.

Also just a quick note, as you make choices the options I will present you with will shift.

For example Derryth has so far never left a person in need to die when she has the choice. This will impact the way the character thinks and eventually I will not provide a "kill them all option" in such situations. It will simply become part of the character that she does not abandon people.

However if you ever think an option should be available feel free to suggest it, although if it goes against past actions you will also need to provide sufficient justification for it.

Anyway the update will either be out in the next 6-10 hrs before I leave or it will have to wait till tomorrow (24-36hrs).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nah, close it. The only option that is being contested is 6B vs 6C, and I don't see many people talking about it.

^ Top  
  20. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    More like dont leave your team mates and possible allies and try to use enemies to maximum effect. At least from my point of view. We had like one or two options on it?

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Oh don't worry about it too much. She is not going to go all heroic over night but by this point a pattern is starting to emerge.

At the library she chose to leave rather than plunder the vault and risk her people, she chose to help Eris rather than fight her, she chose to save the dwarves and then used up a lot of mandrake roots on them instead of just waiting for them to die and thin out her enemies, she tried to negotiate with the enemy instead of immediately joining the battle and she just chose to use up all of her roots to save as many people as possible. In all of those cases there were definite advantages to going the greedy or pragmatic route but she still chose the more "moral" path. Now in each individual case there are a variety of reasons why someone would do what she did but taken together they do have an influence. At the moment she is sitting somewhere around Indiana Jones on the "great moral scale of action leads", she has no real problem killing people and she is capable of doing a lot of rather underhanded things but she places a lot of importance on the relative safety of those she is allied with.

Any changes will be gradual but change will still occur, she does place value on the lives of her allies and is headed in the general direction of an Alric when she could easily have gone the other way and become more like the Deceiver or the Watcher. As a result she is less likely to go full on devour soul based upon previous decisions. It is still very much possible but the general impression I get is that people are not too interested in playing a villain.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, from my perspective, she is taking care of Nine for completely different reasons and in a completely different way than she does of, say, Thais. It is true she accepted the dwarves as her teammates, but those were fellow living creatures that were facing the very same problems she did.

We have 4 separate groups in our team - the core group, which includes the members of the circle and our heavy hitters, the Children, the dwarves, and Nine. We have different relationships with all of them. We are the leader of the first group, we trust these people and we answer for their well-being, so the option not to help them might as well not be there. We are (finally!) becoming more and more suspicious of the Children, we do not trust them, but it can be salvageable if it turns out they are not our enemies and there is a good explanation for their actions. The dwarves, while being our allies, do not follow our commands, and they have their own leadership to care for them. They do not answer to us, and I see no reason to answer to them. We help each other as long as it is mutually beneficial. Nine, well, she is waiting for her chance to screw us and take over. She is a double-edged sword, and I would not hesitate to throw her away if she starts getting ideas.

All in all, I see plenty of reasons to refuse help to anyone who is not a part of the core team, given the right circumstances. I also do not see anything that would indicate that enemy soldiers belong anywhere on the list. Those are a separate matter entirely.

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well like I said, don't worry about it too much, she is not going to instantly become some sort of girl-scout. She won't automatically try and save the world or anything.

I was just pointing out that there are reasons why Derryth did not consider letting Amena and Ithapi go without treatment. They are her wards/allies/friends? and she does make the effort to look after those that are under her command.

If you had chosen to investigate the Children earlier, murder Amena/Ithapi, plunder the vault, trick Eris, let the dwarves die, and so on she would be headed in a very different direction than she is. As it stands she tends to help people and attempts to reason her way through problems, these tendencies in turn can be reinforced by further choices or negated as well.

Starts getting ideas? She is at least almost a century old, insane and incredibly powerful, for her plotting is like breathing...:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    As for the pattern:

Well, those are her people. They are our responsibility, and we will always stick by them.

I doubt the players or Derryth did that out of kindness. If we did not have a solution to the problem with the shadows, we would have been dead by now. And that's our people we are talking about.

Tricking Eris after we swayed Amena to our side by promising her to become a part of our circle would have been kind of dumb.

Our team is small, and the intervention did not cost us too much, since we've played it smart. Using these mandrake roots was a move I disapproved of, but perhaps this was one of those 'moral' desicions. Still, it can be rationalised from a practical standpoint of needing allies, especially when Derryth couldn't command them or even talk to them. The only ones that understand our language are Ari and Bari, and we would have had a hard time establishing a working relationship with the dwarves if we withheld resourses from them.

I would assume that both she and the players regret this choice, and would have preferred to avoid such things in the future.

Well, if we are going to break Serpent out from captivity, we need all the help we can get.

Amena is the member of the circle. She is on the core team. Ithapi is, by all means and purposes, her pet.
    I think at this point Derryth's loyalty to her people is established, yes.

Trusting them was not a 'moral' choice, it was an intelligence check. And we failed it. :P

But yes, I can see what you are talking about. I see no problems with it as long as this line of thinking does not extend to those seeking to do us harm. From what I gathered, Derryth is not a forgiving person.

^ Top  
  25. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    Unless there's an unbelievably good reason for their deserting us, I don't think we should let them join the team again or even cooperate with them (except in a truly desperate situation). They may not be our enemies, but we really don't need "allies" who'll abandon us without a word whenever they feel it's convenient.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.