Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If we head for the inner door where their families are, our interests should align for now and they should be willing to help without turning on us.

And of course we're heading for the inner door because duh, we need to grab Serpent or at least clues to where he is.

Since we have a fairly balanced party, I think that's also how we should approach this.

DA

Not convinced that our interests will align perfectly, not convinced by far. But I also want to save Serpent. So it's a +1 for this.

Nope. Nuh uh.. Reconsidered and read Smashing axes proposal.
K>E>C
A

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
How about we set up an ambush in the lower tunnels and then send a single person to draw the spider-dudes (not all of them at once, if possible) to it ?

Fangshi

Arcane
Erebus said:
How about we set up an ambush in the lower tunnels and then send a single person to draw the spider-dudes (not all of them at once, if possible) to it ?

Sure. Do you have a preference on who is used as bait?

I can not guarantee that you will not draw all twenty to you though. It is unlikely but not impossible as they do tend to make a lot of noise.

It might also be worth considering that any Blues outside may hear you and come to investigate but again you have no way of knowing what is going on out there. They may be busy doing something else.

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Kiting in a CYOA , ts ts tsk

Also, spiderdudes are unarmed and unarmored, also poisonous. All roots spent on the enemy. I sense DM desire to kill someone in close combat... (hopefully not the pigguy)

Why not mindforce some spiderdudes to close the front door and attack at the same time, force other spiderdudes to attack each other, if possible?

Regarding the source of magic, the Dreams dont explain shit. At least The Weave in DnD has some form of 5th force of nature to it...

Fangshi

Arcane
Boxer said:
Why not mindforce some spiderdudes to close the front door and attack at the same time, force other spiderdudes to attack each other, if possible?

Definitely possible yes. You would lose two mages to keep your new puppets under control but it should work as long as you maintain your concentration. Added.

Regarding the source of magic, the Dreams dont explain shit. At least The Weave in DnD has some form of 5th force of nature to it...

Well it is just part of the peculiar nature of mages in the setting. Since they are unable to really trust one another they do not often compare notes. So all anyone has to go on are the legends passed down by the local religions which are confused and incomplete.

Now some archmages might actually understand how magic works but they are not going to share that information given their extreme paranoia. This is why mages in general channel emotions and memories to aid in casting a lot of spells, they know how they work but not why they work and much of magical theory involves memorization of old formulas or the use of intuition to puzzle out new configurations. For a historical example compare the old medical theory based on the Humours with modern medical theory, both seek to explain sickness and health but the ways they go about it and the underlying assumptions present in each are different.

The investigation of the actual causes and workings of magic as a force would require a complete shift in worldview to an outlook that is based in the sort of thought process that gave rise to Natural Science and later the modern Sciences. The humans of Myth just don't think in that way at the moment. Now the dwarves on the other hand do and are about two or three inventions away from a full on industrial revolution but they are currently involved in a war of mutual annihilation with their enemies so they may never get to that point.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Kiting in a CYOA , ts ts tsk

A little bit of cowardice caution couldn't hurt, especially since we have no healing roots left. I don't necessarily think it'll be enough to get rid of all of them, but it'll greatly improve our chances.

- We'll be able to see how dangerous they are. Right now, we don't know shit about these creatures : how strong they are, how fast they move, how they fight as a group... We don't want to discover the answers to those questions when we have twenty of those creatures attacking us. Fighting a small group first would make us better prepared for the rest.

- If we can kill some of the creatures currently busy with their lunch, it'll be easier to get to the front door and close it.

- We can choose the location of the fight : a place where they can't surround us and we can use our ranged weapons and spells efficiently. Even if things don't go well and we draw a lot of them, it'll be less of a problem, because they won't all be able to attack us at the same time.

Sure. Do you have a preference on who is used as bait?

I'm thinking Tyrvard, since he's not wounded, probably pretty fast, not likely to panic and strong enough to defend himself in close combat if things go wrong.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, couldn't we use suggestion magic to make a couple of them come over to use? If they're eating right now, maybe make 3 of them smell something good from where we are. Should convince them to check us out without bringing a whole group over.

Might as well take advantage of the magic we worked on.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Erebus said:
- We'll be able to see how dangerous they are. Right now, we don't know shit about these creatures : how strong they are, how fast they move, how they fight as a group... We don't want to discover the answers to those questions when we have twenty of those creatures attacking us. Fighting a small group first would make us better prepared for the rest.
Actually, Gareth and Brigit do:
A look of terror creeps onto Brigit's face, "She was fast Derryth, too fast and strong too. She moved at odd angles and her teeth..."

Brigit shakes, Gareth puts an arm around her, "She had us dead to rights Derryth. She had Brigit by the leg, bit right into her and was about to finish her off when Miosguinn showed up. He ordered her to let Brigit go, she really did not want to. She said something in a language I have never heard before. They argued, he struck her... the look she gave him... it was like she wanted to rip him in two."
The description they give Isolde fits these creatures to a T.

It is quite disturbing, actually. Maybe ranged combat is our best bet.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Actually, couldn't we use suggestion magic to make a couple of them come over to use? If they're eating right now, maybe make 3 of them smell something good from where we are. Should convince them to check us out without bringing a whole group over.

True. We could try that first and, if it fails, use a bait.

The description they give Isolde fits these creatures to a T.

The thought had come to my mind that she might be one of them. If these creatures are fast and strong, then it's one more reason not to fight a lot of them in a place where they can surround us.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, amended the ambush option to include using compulsion first since it would cost you little.

Nevill

Arcane
The thought had come to my mind that she might be one of them. If these creatures are fast and strong, then it's one more reason not to fight a lot of them in a place where they can surround us.
Fast and strong they may be, but I bet Tyrvard and Jori are faster and stronger, and we'll also try to deal with them at range.
I don't know, man, I'd loathe to leave the gates open if they make too much noise.

Fangshi, does the dwarf grenadier have satchel charges? Similar to the one we exploded the big spider with in the previous battle.

The perfect battle plan would be: the dwarf laying the mine, Derryth and Thais using suggestion to bar the doors, and then attracting everyone's attention at once. Tyrvard and Jori could engage the enemies until all of them are clumped together, then make a run for it, while Brigit sets off the charge with the fire arrow once our guys make it out of the blast radius. The majority of the enemies should suffer the hit.

Is it possible, and what are the risks involved?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Is it possible, and what are the risks involved?

Sure if you want to try it the dwarves still have satchel charges.

Lets see problems:

- where are you setting up the satchel charge? If upstairs you would have to get it up there without be noticed, if it is downstairs then you would have to lure them down

-Tyrvard and Jori might be able to hold twenty off at once but you do not really know what these things are capable of. They may be able to cut off their retreat.

-Also depending on how fast they are you might not get a clear shot while they are all in the blast radius I suppose

Nevill

Arcane
- where are you setting up the satchel charge? If upstairs you would have to get it up there without be noticed, if it is downstairs then you would have to lure them down
Downstairs, and I want the ones barring the gates to come down, too. It does not take too much convincing to have them join the chase, and once we do, we can release the control... I think?

-Tyrvard and Jori might be able to hold twenty off at once but you do not really know what these things are capable of. They may be able to cut off their retreat.
That's not ideal. Don't we fight them in the tunnels precicely because it is harder to surround us there?
All I want is just to have more enemies in one place, I don't need my fighters to make a prolonged stand.

-Also depending on how fast they are you might not get a clear shot while they are all in the blast radius I suppose
I don't really want to get rid of all of them at once, but even if it gets half of them, that's still twice as easy as what we are going to do in E.

Fangshi

Arcane
So you are thinking of something like H only close the doors first? As I understand it this is the plan:

-Derryth and Thaïs use compulsion to close the doors and bar them. Now the other Blues will probably notice this and stop what they are doing. You will need to immediately provide them with a target or they will try and open the doors again I would say.

-You lure the Blues downstairs using Tyrvard/Jori to shield your mages, they should follow you into your trap

-When enough of them are clustered on the ramp and your people are clear Brigit will blow the satchel charge and you all mop up the survivors

Is that the basic idea?

Nevill

Arcane
Yes.

Basically, I want their frontliners to slow down just enough to have the rearguard catch up to them. Since the berserkers are one of the fastest units, it should be possible for Tyrvard to avoid getting caught. Gareth saw one of them in action, so he can tell us just how fast they are, and if the plan is feasible. He is the military expert around here.

Once they are grouped tightly, have Brigit blast away as soon as Tyrvard is out of the blast radius.

Fangshi

Arcane
Okay, that should be doable.

Your biggest problem will be protecting Derryth and Thaïs since they will need to sneak up the ramp to cast compulsion and you will have to almost immediately draw out the other Blues or they may try and stop their dominated friends. This means that as soon as the Blues see you, you will have to break the link and run for it with Tyrvard covering your back. Also since you probably will not be able to catch all of them in the blast you will also in all likelihood have to attack up the ramp and into the room to make sure none of them try to flee by opening the front door. There are some risks involved such as being cut off or overwhelmed but it could succeed.

As to the relative abilities of Isolde, from what Gareth and Brigit experienced she was faster than Tyrvard but not as strong (stronger than Brigit and Gareth though). You do not know if these things are as good as she was though.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think the plan isn't as effective as just mentally forcing them to attack/eat each other with a reliable melee guard on the casters. I'm not adverse to trickery, but I don't see it advantaging us much in this instance. While it could be super effective, it sounds like it's going to add a lot of variables that could go wrong for us.

Nevill

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
I think the plan isn't as effective as just mentally forcing them to attack/eat each other with a reliable melee guard on the casters.
I am not done yet, and we didn't master or even learn a domination spell. I think issuing a command for them to turn on each other is outside of our reach at the moment... or is it?

Your biggest problem will be protecting Derryth and Thaïs since they will need to sneak up the ramp to cast compulsion and you will have to almost immediately draw out the other Blues or they may try and stop their dominated friends. This means that as soon as the Blues see you, you will have to break the link and run for it with Tyrvard covering your back. Also since you probably will not be able to catch all of them in the blast you will also in all likelihood have to attack up the ramp and into the room to make sure none of them try to flee by opening the front door. There are some risks involved such as being cut off or overwhelmed but it could succeed.
All right, but what I want to know, is the risk of being overwhelmed higher or lower than in E, which has us doing the same thing (engaging all 20 of them) in an open terrain without a big ace up our sleeve? Gareth's opinion. ;)

Furthermore, let's assess our melee fighters. We have Tyrvard, Gareth, Jory, one of the shielddwarves, Ithapi (is he in fighting shape? It was mentioned he would take ~2 days to heal, but we took our sweet time getting here, about a day and a half). What about the pathfinders? They are ranged cocktail throwers, right?

I think it is a bit of a waste to sling direct damage spells outright if we go with the bomb. Let the bomb explode, then pick off the survivors with all the means at your disposal. What the mages can do is crowd control. Derryth could attempt a mass suggestion that Tyrvard is the tastiest of the bunch and they all should chase him. It should be easier since they already consider him an enemy and already want to do so to a degree. Does this have a good chance of success? Thais and Brigit can use Create Fire on the battlefield to create bottlenecks and organize the enemy rows in a way that would be best for our team (Brigit does have oil for that Fire Arrow of hers, or does she rely on magic?). All of them can make simple suggestions on the stragglers as to what path is better to take and whom to pursue, so that the bomb would have maximum effect.

I am just throwing out suggestions here.

What we sacrifice, compared to E:
A satchel charge
An advangtage of fighting smaller groups one at a time (though I think we will still be surrounded at the gates)
Direct damage spells

What we gain:
We don't have to control the gates ourselves and can choose our battlefield
The bomb should compensate for the lack of ranged damage provided that the mages put more effort in crowd control to maximize its effectiveness

I think being a bit more strategic about it and investing some resourses should give us an edge.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
I think issuing a command for them to turn at each other is outside of our reach at the moment... or is it?

It would be difficult since it is not something they would want to do so you would be fighting their instincts but it is possible to get them to attack each other with compulsion. The problem is that you would have to maintain concentration while doing it and it would be a fairly complex task to give them. You could order one of them to strike his neighbour (or try to) as that is fairly simple. What is more difficult is giving it the necessary instructions to actually fight and win or distract its opponent as you know little about combat or what these things can do.

All right, but what I want to know, is the risk of being overwhelmed higher or lower than in E, which has us doing the same thing (engaging all 20 of them) in an open terrain without a big ace up our sleeve? Gareth's opinion.

Gareth's opinion is that you will be less likely to be surrounded or overrun provided the doors stay barred but there will be a higher chance of one of your enemies reopening the front doors. If some of them stay upstairs they could open the doors again, alternatively if some of them run back up the ramp then again they could try and open the doors.

is he in fighting shape?

Not at 100% but close enough to hold his own you think as long as he does not have to fight too many.

What about the pathfinders? They are ranged cocktail throwers, right?

Yes, they are the best of the best when it comes to dwarven grenadiers.

Derryth could attempt a mass suggestion that Tyrvard is the tastiest of the bunch and they all should chase him.

Did you want to let Tyrvard know you are going to do this? 'Cause it is kinda a dick move. :lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
Did you want to let Tyrvard know you are going to do this? Cause it is kinda a dick move.
Hey, this whole plan should come from Gareth, I don't know if Derryth even has the expertise to come up with it. Of course we let him know. Aren't berserkers proud of their MAXIMUM FUCK ways?

It is best to have them follow a lone fighter than to have them scatter in search of different targets if we want to get rid of them in one fell swoop.

Also, I wonder if we can compel everyone to follow us so that nobody stays upstairs. They should want a piece of us, so we won't be telling them anything that goes against their will.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Also, I wonder if we can compel everyone to follow us so that nobody stays upstairs. They should want a piece of us.

You could but it would slow down Derryth and Thaïs just a little, while they make sure the Blues stampede. It would increase the risk of getting cut off but if people want to then that is what we can do.

Hey, this whole plan should come from Gareth, I don't even know if Derryth even has the expertise to come up with it. Of course we let him know.

She lacks the military knowledge but he lacks the magical knowledge so right now they are all brainstorming as a team... yay teamwork!

Aren't berserkers proud of their MAXIMUM FUCK ways?

Sure, if you asked him to he would go up there naked and fight them all unarmed with one hand behind his back... he would probably lose but he would make the attempt.

Fangshi, what is the difference between J and K?

In K you try to ensure they all come down, in J you run away as soon as they move to attack. K reduces the chance of the door being opened but increases the chance of getting caught by your attackers.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So, how does it look, everyone? E or K?

Recap of the plan:
Mine the passage; have Thais and Derryth use compulsion to close the gates; have Tyrvard attract the attention of the enemy right after that; have Thais assist Derryth in using mass compulsion and/or suggestion to prompt everyone to engage Tyrvard, then retreat (protecting the mages as necessary); have Brigit and Amena (and also Thais and Derryth, once they are safe) attempt crowd control to maintain enemy's focus on Tyrvard and to have as many enemies in the blast radius as possible; finish off the survivors.

If the enemy attempts retreat, compel them to keep the gates barred until the cleanup crew catches up to them. Their morale should be low at this point, their wills weak and their thoughts jumbled, so our mages should have an easy time suggesting anything they want.

I'll go K>E. I have to support the plan I came up with.

Fangshi, what is the difference between J and K?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom