Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That sounds like zombie apocalypse scenario. Are they gaining followers from the other cultists by some kind of a ritual?
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,169
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Alas Tyrvard, we never got to know you as well as we'd like. :salute:
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 15: Opening Moves

    Gareth is in his element as he whispers orders to all assembled, organizing you into ranks to begin your ascent.

    "Dwarves to the front, archers and mages behind, warriors to either flank. We roll up the ramp and kill as many as possible as quickly as possible. But do not waste ammo, make sure every shot counts. We have no idea how many of those things are around," he marches back and forth as he speaks, you stand back and let the man work, "If we can not get those doors closed we will probably be overrun so that is priority one. The eight at the inner door will probably hit us as a group. Ari and Bari," the two pathfinders step forward and salute, "I want you to make them your first priority, if we can hit them before they disperse this will be much easier."

    Bari chirps up, "Why are the dwarves out front?"

    Gareth gives him a grin, "Because when you lot start throwing those things I want you in front of me instead of behind me."

    Bari grins as Gareth stops and turns to you, "Any additional instructions boss?"

    You step forward from behind the veteran, "Yes, for the mages. Don't worry about doing anything fancy. It will probably be too difficult to force these things to fight their comrades but you can do a lot with a little."

    Amena raises a hand, "What do you mean Derryth?"

    "Just think about how unsteady a thing walking is, or running for that matter. Make them take a wrong step, make them hesitate for just a second and they will fall. If you do not have a guaranteed kill then aim to incapacitate. We have reason to believe that these things are fast but if they are flat on the ground it won't matter. Above all do not burn yourselves out, ration your spells and pick your targets," Amena nods while you and Gareth take your places in the battle line. He gives the order and you ascend the ramp.

    For a group your size you move with a surprising degree of silence and cohesion. The Blues for their part make your job easier by making so much noise they do not even notice the first volley of missiles. Arrows, spells and dwarven cocktails wipe out half of your enemies before they even have time to move. The Blues drop; burnt or blasted by spells, shot through with well placed arrows or blown to small, moist, bits by your dwarven allies.

    You group quickly makes for the front door. Two of the Blues intercept Tyrvard and Jori who manage to dispatch them as Biliku and Uttu provide support. Ithapi and Gareth at the head of your group make it to the doors and push them shut. As they secure the great metal bolts in the door it starts to shake and bounce slightly. Something outside is trying to force its way in but is having little luck. All of this takes place before the eight Blues at the door can react but once they realize what is happening they turn and attack as one.

    Brigit was right, they are very fast, so fast that Ari and Bari can not get a lock on them. The pathfinders throw but only catch the two at the back of the pack as the rest charge towards you.

    "Break their charge!" you call out to the rest of the Lost. Your three mages begin casting as you focus on the lead Blue.

    Smeared in blood and ash she is hideous, a great pair of fangs hanging from a broken jaw, twisted arms outstretch towards you. But what you focus on are her legs, you reach out to her mind and find something barely more than animal instinct. Any intellect she may possess has been washed away by bloodlust. This should be doable. You slip her a slight suggestion, that there is a gap in front of her. Without thinking she hesitates for just a moment and the Blue behind her crashes into her back. The two monstrosities roll together slamming into the Blue to their right. The other Blues suffer similar accidents as the six of them collapse together in a pile.

    Usually such a trick would do you little good as they are back on their feet after only a few dozen seconds, ready to tear you all apart. However a few seconds is all your pathfinders needed. You raise an arm to shield your face as a wave of blood and body parts hits you, coating you from head to toe.

    This skirmish was a quick affair, twenty dead Blues later you stand victorious as your group cheers.

    You wipe some of the gore off of yourself, "Well that went well."

    Gareth nods then grunts, "It won't always..."

    "Don't look now Derryth but I think we have company," Ithapi gestures behind you and as you turn the inner doors creak open.

    You are met by two figures, the Red Commander from the earlier battle and Christine. Both look worse than you do which is quite a feat considering you are covered in monster bits.

    She begins, "My humble thanks to our brave rescu-", she stops in mid sentence as she spots you. You stare at one another ready to attack her if she begins casting.

    The silence is oppressive and you are about to say something when Biliku steps up next to you, draws her bow and fires. The arrow strikes the surprised Red commander in the throat, he does not even have time to scream as he falls to his knees and bleeds out on the floor.

    You raise an eyebrow and turn to the girl, "Care to tell me what that was all about?"

    She looks you in the eyes her usual fear gone, nods and gestures to the body, "He left me to die, that I could forgive. He left Uttu to die, that I could not forgive," she hands you her bow and steps back behind you.

    Well if nothing else you can respect her loyalty to her sister.

    You turn your attention back to the Silver mage now standing alone in the doorway, "Where is my friend?"

    Her attitude is different than before, still hostile but more restrained, less bold, "He... he is in the chapel tending to our wounded and Biliku's father. You may speak to him if you wish..."

    You let Biliku and Uttu walk beside you as Christine leads half your group into the chapel. They seem a little more at ease in your presence, still quite nervous around you but you think given a month or so that you could probably win them over. Of course you do not have a month and so you keep them close, they are your only bargaining chips after all. Christine leads you into the chapel where a crowd of maybe twenty children stand around nervously chatting. They stare at your group with a mixture of awe and fear. By your estimate not one of them is older than twelve and they look to be about half Red Order and half Silver Order.

    You reach out and grab Christine's arm, she tenses as you stop her, "Is this it? Where are the warriors of your Orders?"

    She refuses to look at you and pulls free of your grasp, "If you have questions save them for those in charge, alright farmer."

    You, Thaïs, Biliku, Uttu, Gareth and Jori follow Christine behind a large sheet stretched across the back of the chapel. Within you find ten makeshift beds each holding a badly wounded Red or Silver, those that are conscious turn to watch you as you pass. You head deeper still into the very back of the chapel. As you enter the last room you notice three figures. The first is a giant of a man, stripped to the waist he is missing his right arm below his elbow and much of the right side of his face is bandaged. He rests in bed arguing with a woman in silver. In fact if you had to use a word to describe her it would be just that. She is silver, from the hue of her skin to the highlights of her hair and the colour of her eyes. Everything about her is silver. Putting two and two together you determine that the man must be Biliku's father and the woman Christine's mother, the heads of their orders now without any warriors to command.

    The third figure is of course Serpent and when he sees you he drops what he is doing, "Derryth! Thaïs! What are you doing here?" the physician drops what he is doing and races up to you giving you each a warm embrace.

    You reach into your pack, "Well you forgot something when you left," you hand Serpent back his robe and he almost breaks down in tears.

    "Thank you, thank you both," he takes the robe and slips it into his belongings.

    While you catch up with Serpent, Biliku and Uttu are having a similar reunion with their father.

    The man sputters in disbelief, "Girls, oh my girls, I thought you were dead. Breamas told me you were both dead," rage plays across the man's face, "Someone bring me Breamas, he will die one thousand times over for his lies!"

    Biliku takes her father's hand, "Father, Breamas is dead. I shot him myself but a few moments ago."

    He throws his head back and laughs, "Good girl, Biliku! You make an old man proud!"

    The girls hug their father as you make a mental note not to anger this family.

    At first the Red leader only has eyes for his daughters but after a few minutes he turns his attention to the rest of you, he arches an eyebrow, "Tell me little Uttu, who are your friends here?"

    Uttu begins, the look on her face is deathly serious, "These are the Lost, father! They are great warriors and powerful mages from the surface. They are the ones we went out to fight under Breamas' command," she runs over and grabs Thaïs by the hand, dragging her over to the bed, "This is Lady Thaïs and she is their second in command, she is beautiful and terrible and smart and-"

    Thaïs cuts the girl short, "It is my pleasure to meet you sir, your daughters are quite charming," she gives the man a deep curtsey as Biliku walks up to you.

    She stops short uncertain of what to do. You can tell she wants to introduce you but is not certain if it is her place to do so. Part of you thinks she is still worried you will turn her into a severed head. Out of mercy for the poor child you extend your hand and take hers.

    Instantly she drags you across the room to the other side of the bed, "And this father, is Mistress Derryth! She is their leader and she ended the battle with only one spell! She blew up Arachne and beat Uttu like it was nothing!"

    Uttu nods and sniffles a little as she remembers her dead mount and pet. She brightens though as she begins talking, "Oh father as soon as she appeared the whole battle shifted. Biliku and I were beaten, and that coward Breamas ran away. Not only is she a... a..." she struggles for words before proudly remembering Thaïs' speech, "an archmage of great powers and ancient magics but she is also a great and skilled healer and doctor. Of those under her command not one died that was not already dead before she got there! And father, she saved out lives! The lives of her enemies! She is great and terrible but wise and merciful too!"

    Biliku shakes her head, "No sister, I am sure all the dwarves were dead! She brought them back! Such is her power!"

    It is becoming clear now that the sisters are building off one another. Laying out everything you have ever said to them and many things they only dreamed of. Biliku starts in again, "Oh! Also she has a GRAND collection of severed heads! And they talk and scream and do all sorts of things!"

    Uttu stares at her feet and adds, "They are a little scary though..."

    Biliku nods her head emphatically, "And she controls shadows, and she fights monsters, and she saves people father! Maybe if we ask nicely she will save us!"

    Christine, quiet until now, snickers, "The farmer does all that? She must have been holding out on me, 'cause from what I have seen she can barely cast a spell. Maybe you Reds really are incompetent."

    You frown as Uttu sticks her tongue out at the Silver, "Nu uh, she is a great mage! She is a... um..."

    Biliku comes to her sister's aid, "A fell and terrible master of the dark arts!"

    It is a curious thing to watch as the girls alternate between a sort of hero worship and abject terror of your "mastery" of magic. You are going to have to ask Thaïs and Amena about what exactly they have been telling these girls behind your back.

    Their father chuckles, "Alright, alright girls. How about you let this Derryth speak for herself. I am Casgair, leader of the Red Order, though that title means little now." he extends his remaining arm towards you.

    You shake and assume a more formal tone, "A pleasure to meet you. I am, as your daughters said, Derryth leader of the Lost and this expedition."

    "I would welcome you to our home Derryth but there is little left of it or of us to be honest. Breamas, the commander you fought, was the last of my warriors still capable of fighting. I now lead a handful of children, although if there is anything I can do for you to repay you for saving my daughters you need only ask and it is yours."

    The Silver leader until now has remained aloof, "While I am sure these reunions are all very heartening we must turn our attention to how we can best survive the Blues. If we can make it into the lower tunnels we can escape-"

    Casgair waves her off, "This is my home Neith, I will not leave it to the damned Blues. They will not take the relics-"

    At the mention of the relics Jori finally speaks up, "I have a demand to make of you human. You may have among your relics a maul that is of great importance to my people. I wish it returned."

    Casgair tenses up, "Listen here dwarf, I am not letting the Blues take the relics and I am sure as hell not letting some dwarf take them either!"

    You back away from the brewing argument as the three of them fall to fighting.

    "Alright Serpent, I think now might be a good time to leave," you whisper to your friend.

    "Derryth it is not that simple I-" he begins as Christine walks over.

    "You are not taking my husband anywhere!" she stamps her foot.

    "Husband!" you and Thaïs shout at the same time.

    You begin interrogating Serpent, "You were gone what two days at most? How in the name of Wyrd did you get married in two days!"

    He scratches the back of his neck, "Um... well Christine's mother is some sort of priestess and well things may have gotten out of hand. At any rate Christine really is not that bad when you get to know her."

    "Damn it Serpent, she kidnapped you! This is not how a healthy relationship starts!" you grab him by the arm and begin to lead him from the room, "As your friends we are going to get you out of here."

    Thaïs nods in agreement, "Once we are away from here I am certain you will see how insane this sounds."

    Christine grabs him by his other arm and starts to drag him back into the room, "He is my husband. We love each other and I am more than capable of looking after him. You two will not just steal him away!"

    You can't believe what you are hearing, "Steal him away! You stole him you crazy bitch!"

    Thaïs helps you pull him back towards the door, "In the middle of a battle of all things you took him from his friends! You have no right to him! Serpent tell her you want to leave."

    "Please Serpent, you know my people need help! Tell them you want to stay!"

    Serpent attempts to negotiate a truce, "Please ladies, if we could just talk about this you would see how much you have in common."

    "I don't have anything in common with her!" you both blurt out at the same time. You and Christine give one another a uncertain stare before you continue to pull on Serpent.

    By this point the entire room has collapsed into chaos...

    "You have no right-"

    "Return to us our relic-"

    "Father what should we do-"

    "Serpent wants to stay-"

    "He wants to go-"

    "We have to go-"

    "We have to stay-"

    "Please ladies-"

    "The relics stay, as do we-"

    "Enough!" Gareth draws his sword and slams the pommel on a nearby table, instantly the chaos gives way to order and silence as he turns to Jori and the leaders of the Damned, "You have a duty to every living soul out there to protect them from what is to come and if you want to search for the relic Jori then you will need to survive the coming attack. Work together or fall before them! And you three!" you all instantly let go of Serpent, "It is Serpent's decision to make. Let the man make it for Wyrd's sake!"

    He continues in a tone that allows for no dissent, "I want to know the floor plan of the building, entrances and exits, chokepoints, all of it. We need to clear firing lanes and set up the artillery if we are staying. If we are going then we need a proper plan of retreat or we will be butchered. Does everyone understand?"

    In complete silence you all nod, "Good, now we-"

    A voice calls out from the front of the building, "Casgair! Neith! Do you yet live!"

    Casgair climbs out of bed with his daughters supporting him as you all make the long walk back to the front door.

    You peer through one of the narrow windows at the front of the building, thankfully the windows are too narrow to climb through or you would be overrun. As it is you could probably fire through them though...

    You look out and see four robed figures dressed in silver, black and blue standing in the middle of a horde of mutated Blues. With their hoods up you can not make out any features.

    The middle figure, tall and thin, calls out again, "Casgair! Neith! Do you yet live!"

    The Red calls back, "You can be sure I do Abharsair! Your monsters have not killed us yet!"

    "A pity Casgair! I shall have to try harder!"

    You whisper to Casgair, "Keep them talking."

    He nods as you grab Gareth, Ari and Bari. In your wagon is the old mortar you found which you promptly set up behind one of the windows. You should be able to fire through the window and hit the group if you have to.

    "Why are you doing this Abharsair?"

    "Why not? You Reds and Silver blaspheme with every breath. Your very existence is an insult to our goddess and once you are dead and I have the relics we will be one step closer to perfection!"

    Well now that does not sound insane at all...

    There are a number of ways you can try to handle the situation, most are mutually exclusive however.


    1. With everyone focused on the army outside you could try and slip away. Do you? The dwarves are unlikely to leave with the maul so close but the rest of your group should have little problem slipping away though you may have to drag Serpent with you...

    A) You leave and leave Serpent - this is not your fight and if he wants to stay it is his choice

    B) You leave and take Serpent - this is not your fight but you will not let Serpent throw his life away (he may resist though)

    C) You stay - these Blues seems dangerous, together you may have a better chance than apart.


    2. If you stay, what do you do?

    A) Fire the mortar - with any luck you will kill the entire command group in one shot although this will probably provoke an immediate battle

    B) Try and negotiate a truce - Well Thaïs will try and negotiate, you have already learnt your lesson

    C) Bluff them - Thaïs will try and delay the battle as long as possible while you work together to come up with an actual plan to escape or defend the building.

    D) Challenge this Abharsair to a duel? Well it works in all the stories and it would give your people time to prepare but you would be exposing yourself...

    E) Freeform


    3. If you delay the start of the battle you will have time to come up with a plan:

    A) A plan of retreat:

    i. Quick Retreat - you leave the wounded and the children. Only people that can carry their own weight will make it anyway.

    ii. Balanced Retreat - you take the children but leave the wounded. If they can not walk they will never make it.

    iii. Slow Retreat - you load up the wagon with the wounded and you take the children. You do not like the idea of leaving anyone alive for those things to find.

    iv. Merciful Quick Retreat - you kill the wounded and the children. At least it will be quicker than what the Blues will do to them.

    v. Cover the Retreat - "split use children, Maul, Biliku and her sister to pack wounded people and start retreating, stall for time, if it fail use mortar to thin horde, if dwarfs are good enough demolition experts plant explosives on entrance of tunnel to collapse it after retreat to force enemies to take more time to give chase."

    v. Freeform

    B)A plan for defence:

    i. Long Range Focus - the building is built like a fortress with a number of narrow windows on the first and second floor from which you can fire. You will attempt to thin out their numbers before they get inside with damage dealing spells, arrows, cocktails and the mortar

    ii. Medium Range Focus - You will hold off until these things reach the building and will set up a couple choke points to funnel them into. Clever use of satchel charges will help thin them out before they reach your line.

    iii. Close Range Focus - You will rely on mental attack spells and the web traps of the Damned to bunch up your enemies at close range where it will be impossible to miss them.

    iv. Use everything! - there is an army out there! You will use the Mortar, the satchels, all the spells, and every trick you have to get through this with an absolute minimum amount of risk.

    v. Freeform

    4. The Ring: (As per request)

    A) You throw it away

    B) You keep it for later
     
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Maybe, maybe not? Catch one and ask... :lol:

    Funny thing is he was only really in danger if you tried to kite them. He would get cut off then it would be down to the dice to determine if he could escape...
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,376
    1. With everyone focused on the army outside you could try and slip away. Do you? The dwarves are unlikely to leave with the maul so close but the rest of your group should have little problem slipping away though you may have to drag Serpent with you...

    C) You stay - these Blues seems dangerous, together you may have a better chance than apart.


    2. If you stay, what do you do?

    A) Fire the mortar - with any luck you will kill the entire command group in one shot although this will probably provoke an immediate battle

    3. If you delay the start of the battle you will have time to come up with a plan:

    B)A plan for defence:

    iv. Use everything! - there is an army out there! You will use the Mortar, the satchels, all the spells, and every trick you have to get through this with an absolute minimum amount of risk.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
  7. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    We have to stay. Leaving the army of spiders in our rear is not a sound decision, and together with the remnants of two orders we stand a better chance.

    Besides, the Reds turned out better than Breamas gave us reason to assume, and Christine is a party member material.

    Now, there are only two choices I could see working. Bluffing the ones who have a horde of monsters on their side and who know - thanks to Dr. Miosguinn - how many people we have and what our less-than-stellar capabilities are is not likely to work well. Spiderfolk diplomacy is out for obvious reasons. We can fire the mortar and brace for impact, or we can have a mage duel. Now, the duel sounds silly, but we have an ace up our sleeve in the form of Heaven Stones. This could delay them just enough for us to assume defensive positions. Then we give them the best we've got.

    Edit: Gareth advises against firing the mortar and engaging in the immediate battle. So it's out.

    1. C
    2. D>C A
    3. B IV
     
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,867
    1 C - yeah, we will need to deal with these guys one way or the other, might as well be while we are in a fortified position and with at least some allies.
    2 A - for maximum use of our surprise advantage. I don't really see a point in playing for time if we are not planing to run - the plan of battle is simple, do whatever it takes to keep them out.
    3 B IV - I'm not sure we even get to vote on this if we fire right now, but just in case. I suppose we can just yell to everyone to hold nothing back. Really, what's the point of saving ammo for later if we don't get out of this alive.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Yeah, you don't know if firing the mortar will trigger an immediate battle. It depends on what happens so feel free to vote for one of the options in 3. If it starts a battle you will still try and pursue your plan you just won't have nearly as much time.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,169
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Miosguinn knows about the stones though, and has one himself.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,169
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Guts say;
    C
    A
    B: IV
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He can't do shit about it, though. They are mages, the whole lot of them. They can't hurt us, well, not directly, at least. I would assume a stone owner could still be killed by the spells affecting his surroundings, like the ones bringing a ceiling down or something.

    I would agree, though, that firing a mortar at them sounds really satisfying.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,169
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Uh. Holding nothing back.. Does that include the severed head? I'd rather keep Nine a secret from the silvers..

    Also, very curious about that ring now. We have three factions. The red were initially most hostile, the silvers merely watched the first battle, and we fought a good couple of blues in this very update. Who gave us the ring? Not the reds. The spider lacked red markings, but was described as having blue and silver markings. The ring itself is black and silver.

    Possibly this Neith is reasonable? Or it's a feint. Pondering whether we should reveal the ring or not.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Now that we've met with the Silver order, I don't see them inviting us down here. The ring probably belongs to the Blues. If they are gaining their warriors by desecrating the fallen and captives, I can see them profiting from a few more bodies. And Miosguinn warned us that if we go down here, we will lose everything.

    I'd reveal it. Preferrably, standing really far from the rest with a mouth full of Heaven Stones. Just as a precaution.

    Or just throw it away. Really, if the Silvers gave it to us, I can't see how it would help us if they can't even help themselves.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,376
    I think that we should ask about it instead, it can be some sort of trap, maybe provides an anchor for the mage that gave it to us, don't forget that Miosguinn knows the gate spell.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    No it doesn't. Given how dangerous she could theoretically be I will always explicitly mention her in options that include her.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The problem is not with saving ammo. The problem is with having time to lay down the satchel charges and making sure that Gareth is in command coordinating people instead of three different commanders shouting orders to their respective teams.

    I can see how delaying the battle would benefit us.

    However, I'll add another vote.

    4. A) Before you issue the orders, you throw the ring away.
    4. B) You keeep the ring

    I think we've found who are our allies, and who are our enemies. It served its purpose.
     
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,376
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C
    A
    BII>BIV
    A


    Negotiating with religious fanatics is a bad idea. Compromise is something they can't accept.

    I don't want to go all out with munitions at long range, because our foe seems to have very limited ranged capacity themselves, and bunching them up into kill zones will greatly take advantage of the dwarves' explosives.

    Here's hoping the mortar takes out the enemy commanders. They wouldn't be expecting such an attack.

    I'm hesitant about the ring. Not sure what to do with it. While it may be part of the blues' machinations, I don't see how our presence would benefit them. There could be a yet unseen wild card here.

    That or...
    Show Spoiler
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Erebus Arcane

    Erebus
    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Messages:
    4,061
    While the Blues are certainly not our friends, we should remember that the Silvers told the Reds to attack us. We still don't know why.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,493
    Thankfully someone has balls and common sense around here, I get the feeling that most of our success is due to Gareth's skill at tactics and organization.
    :salute:

    Bros, if we're staying for defense, then firing the mortar isn't such a good idea: we need time to set up a competent defense, and going with the shot and relying on dumb luck to take out their commanders doesn't give us that time. We'll be swarmed by mutants almost immediately.
    My vote is:
    1 C
    2 C
    3 B1
    4
    A.
    I don't fancy throwing all of our supplies away on these things, and I'm not confident that we'll be able to just tank them with our melee fighters and mental spells with their numbers. Best to thin them out with the ammunition and explosives we saved on our way in, and then let our fighters take on a weakened horde.

    Fangshi, have the Reds and Silvers encountered any different or more advanced mutants than these? Any wall-crawlers?
     
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    ^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Umm, sure that is something the Orders would know and they can tell you what they have seen:

    Yes there are more than just the basic type. Neith has seen some that seem capable of climbing on walls and ceilings while a particularly large one that bore a passing resemblance to an adult Maul is responsible for Casgair's missing arm. Some are poisonous but most are not while others seem to inject a sort of paralyzing agent. It is difficult to say just what the Blues have hidden out there as well...

    I will need a bit of clarification on this I am afraid.
     
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,493
    Yeah, that sounds nasty, we definitely need that prep time. And I fixed my vote.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,056
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What? When?

    Well, we'd either be on their side against the Reds, or on the Red's side against them. The first case is beneficial for them, and the ring might be there to help them deal with the second.

    Also, if Miosguinn and Isolde are their agents, they might have other uses for us. Miosguinn wanrned us absolutely not to go here. He might have had a reason for that.

    Ok, but what about the second vote? What are you proposing we do to bide for time?'

    Just when did this thing turned into L4D the LP?
     
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,493
    Hah, my bad, missed #2. We let Thais stall for time and let us prepare. Taking on this army without any prep time is suicide.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.