Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Night Goat said:
Anyway, I'm going B5 for my first choice, as I'd like to know more about the Callieach. Otherwise I'd go B3, since the soldiers in the games seemed bro enough.

You can do both if you want, you will visit one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Or is this a conditional vote like B5>B3?
Not conditional, let's do both. This would give us a mix of might and magic.

Fangshi

Arcane
Okay, updating the tally...

Current Count:

A:
Government: 2 (3) votes

B:
Thieves: 4 votes
Tent Camp: 7 (6) votes
Mercenaries: 6 votes
Hire a Second Group of Mercenaries (maximum meatshields?): 1 vote
Warlocks: 5 votes
Recruit a Second Group of Warlocks (what could go wrong?): 1 vote
The Children: 6 (5) votes

The Name Vote:

Morgana Argonne: 3 votes
Derryth ó Foghladh: 4 votes
Harle Thrombe: 1 vote

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
A

Of course, we want to keep the Stone for ourselves, but I'm simply not sure staying independent improves our chances of accomplishing that. All the groups we might hire would be interested in taking the Stone, either because they want it or in order to sell it (keeping its value a secret would be difficult). Soldiers are the least likely to stab us in the back. Once we have the Stone, we can worry about how to disappear with it.

Anabanana

Augur
Really hope we pick up the (male) courtesan if B2 wins. Or any of the other background characters, actually, they all seem really cool.

Fangshi

Arcane
Anabanana said:
Really hope we pick up the (male) courtesan if B2 wins. Or any of the other background characters, actually, they all seem really cool.

The way I will handle it is to assign each background a number and then roll a die maybe 3-4 times and those will be the people you run into. I might then have a second vote on which ones you actually want to recruit. That way it is all random and fair.

Tigranes

Arcane
B1 & 2 for now, I obviously don't know who these groups are but the Children group could synergise well with the thieves?

Fangshi

Arcane
Tigranes said:
B1 & 2 for now, I obviously don't know who these groups are but the Children group could synergise well with the thieves?

They could, you don't really know what kind of challenges you will face but in theory the two could work very well together.

A lot will come down to how the different groups interact; well and your leadership, good thing you have such a high Charisma... :troll:

Kipeci said:
I vote for B4 twice

Ok...

oscar

Arcane
B3: Least of the B options likely to turn on us and should be enough to keep us safe. Our profits should be more than enough to pay them.

Fangshi

Arcane
oscar said:
B3: Least of the B options likely to turn on us and should be enough to keep us safe. Our profits should be more than enough to pay them.

2 votes for B3 (two merc groups) or 1 vote for B3 (one merc group)?

Baltika9

Arcane
B3+B5, get both mage groups on our side and then start sowing discord between them. When we get to the artifact, they will be too busy fighting one another to notice us making off with it.
:troll:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fangshi said:
A lot will come down to how the different groups interact; well and your leadership, good thing you have such a high Charisma...
No way am I going near the ruins of Muirthemne with a bunch of misfits. If Alric's expedition to retrieve the Ibis Crown is anything to go by, you don't want to be down there without a serious backing, period. Put me down for going legit and bringing the government forces with us.

A. Flopped to B1, B4.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane

The group is called the Children of the Callieach. This organization is something of Fangshi's creation, but the Callieach themselves are a long extinct race that were the first in the world of Myth to ever to use magic. The fact that this organization names themselves in honour of the Callieach implies a reverence for history and a desire to learn more of the past.

B4+B5, get both mage groups on our side and then start sowing discord between them. When we get to the artifact, they will be too busy fighting one another to notice us making off with it.

Well, the warlocks are already more powerful than the Children, so I don't see it going too well for the good guys. I'm pretty sure putting these guys together will just lead to a dysfunctional team that will die in the ruins of Muirthemne.

The mercenary company might yield some fairly reliable troops, but I really like the idea of looking for another ally in the camps. Yeah, we might find someone who isn't a great fit, but if we find someone well-suited to the expedition (i.e. The Veteran) we'll definitely have something resembling a skilled party.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, the warlocks are already more powerful than the Children, so I don't see it going too well for the good guys. I'm pretty sure putting these guys together will just lead to a dysfunctional team that will die in the ruins of Muirthemne.
Exactly, they will cooperate until they get to the artifact, and then turn on one another. Fuck the good guys, grab the thing and run and let the warlocks have their fun.

Esquilax

Arcane
Exactly, they will cooperate until they get to the artifact, and then turn on one another. Fuck the good guys, grab the thing and run and let the warlocks have their fun.

Not my point. We don't really have the leadership or the charisma to keep them from going at each other's throats, so things could easily get violent before we even reach the artifact. Assuming that they'll cooperate until the goal is reached on a long, dangerous mission with a ton of distrust between each other and bad morale is crazy. Especially with us at the helm with our PC's dazzling CHA 2. The warlocks by themselves are fine, but we can't put them with the Children of the Callieach. That sort of cunning plan is bound to backfire horribly.

I'm uneasy about taking the warlocks with us because an individual warlock is way better than us at magic right now. Even if we had a mercenary group with us, a single fireball would take out most of them.

Anabanana

Augur
Upon further consideration, I think we probably should have at least some magical backup. I'll flop from thieves to the Children.

Fangshi

Arcane
A few more points to consider since myth's setting is maybe a bit different than what people are used to, I won't give you outside knowledge but this information is all based on assumptions/knowledge your character would make or has so it should be fine to tell you:

The Imperials:
These are the guys with the good stuff, armoured soldiers, archers with fire arrows, maybe even the odd Heron Guard if you play your cards right.

Now the Heron Guards are a mix of a Paladin and a Samurai and one of them is easily worth ten soldiers according to the fluff so they have their uses but they are utterly loyal to the Emperor and the empire.

The Thieves Guilds:
These vary in quality and type. Some are honourable, some are not, some have a large number of former fighters/sell-swords, some rely more on agile/stealthy types. You don't know what kind of guild Brigit belongs to though if she is typical of her guild it will be the stealthy/agile/silent kind. But they could also lend you a few enforcers if you make a good impression/help them out.

The Tent Camp:
As already mentioned you do not know what you will find, neither do I in fact. Oddly enough this is sort of the quality over quantity option given how all of the backgrounds were people of exceptional character.
You may find a skilled officer, a down on his luck inventor or a medic, or you might wind up with the Courtesan. Not sure how useful she would be in a dungeon crawl, maybe you could swap spells... and other things... :troll:

The Mercenaries:
This is the muscle option, the meat shields, maybe with some archer support. They tend to organize in 10 men teams from what you have seen. This is a quantity over quality option, if you get them killed well you don't have to pay them I guess.

On the mage circles:
These are organizations formed fundamentally out of self interest, a successful mage is never really going to trust another mage so if you go to the circles you will be trying to enlist the help of a single mage or maybe two potentially along with any apprentices or bodyguards they may have. Warlocks are damage oriented spellcasters, these are your fireball guys, mobile artillery so to speak. The Children (as mentioned by Esquilax) are my own creation, they are a "kinder, gentler" version of the Warlocks with a taste for knowledge and proficiency in manipulation and illusion (oh, they are still mages remember and everything I said about the Warlocks may apply as well, guess you will just have to try them to find out):troll:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
How rich are the warlocks usually? Rich enough to outbid us on mercs?

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
How rich are the warlocks usually? Rich enough to outbid us on mercs?

You sure you really want to know? Well I can tell you what your character thinks (remember the young lady may be a bit paranoid...).

Depends on the Warlock, the higher ups definitely have some money but the ones you are likely to get are probably rather poor, as a group they are concerned with only two things, power and knowledge.

Interestingly they have little use for or interest in money, their skills are in such high demand that they could charge whatever they want and the price is rarely in gold.

I would not worry about them buying off your men (if your mercs could be bought off I would be more worried about them murdering you in your sleep on the way back).
But they did have a longstanding alliance with the Deceiver in the "bad old days", who knows what kinds of mind-control magic the circle knows... :troll:

This is not to suggest that the Children are any better, I mean they are a circle formed in the name of truth (knowledge) that specializes in lies (illusion).

Both circles may betray you, or they may be loyal and useful tools/allies and the best part is it may have everything to do with what you do.

But hell, you are a mage, you are going to have to get your feet wet eventually...

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't we just enter King's service and become the Royal Treasure Hunter?

If it is power and knowledge we seek, there is plenty to be had there. It does not have to be personal.

We can start the whole museum with King's Alric blessing. So why do we need to do this behind His Majesty's back?

Anabanana

Augur
Because we plan on making off with the stone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom