Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Erebus

Arcane
Actually this is an important point. If you want to spring the trap while your allies are still in the line of fire that is an option. You could potentially kill the Blues, the Reds, the Silver and the dwarves this way.

I certainly wouldn't mind killing the leaders of the Red and Silver Orders, as well as Christine. If an occasion presents itself and we're fairly sure nobody will suspect us of being responsible, I'm all for getting rid of them.

On the other hand, the dwarves are allies and we're not going to start killing children if we don't have to. Even if we were feeling really heartless, we shouldn't do it because it would cost us the trust of our teammates (in fact, it's likely most of them wouldn't obey such an order).

Jester

Arbiter
B1
Get the frigging hammer of kings and get back on track of mission. Hammer, stone and surface. Trying to be hero in Black Company like universe when there are "something powerful" things involved ends up usually with 3/4 of company killed. We can play rambo part when we actually have some high magic level or huge amount of meat shields. Hell normal werewolf had killed like 50 people here and i doubt Mios will let himself get jumped.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mios can't do shit to us if he is alone. But he will keep an eye on everyone who tries to leave, and he made it clear he will try and intercept anyone who could tell Alric about what is happening here.

And would they even let us leave if we steal the relic and run for it? What about Serpent? Will we leave him behind? Or will we take Christine with us? Or Neith?

Fangshi

Arcane
Erebus said:
I certainly wouldn't mind killing the leaders of the Red and Silver Orders, as well as Christine. If an occasion presents itself and we're fairly sure nobody will suspect us of being responsible, I'm all for getting rid of them.

That will be more difficult then. If you simply filled the room with explosives you could probably murder everyone but to only hit the three of them is unlikely. You would probably have to be willing to lose at least some of the dwarves...

If the option presents itself I will put it to a vote but there will be a bit of luck involved. Also if the Damned find out you will probably have to kill the children and wounded. If you attack their leaders they will probably try to do something about it.

On the bright side Miosguinn has all sorts of clever tricks up his sleeves. Depending on what you chose and how they roll it is entirely possible that Miosguinn will do all the work for you there.

Nevill said:
And would they even let us leave if we steal the relic and run for it?

Derryth thinks the Reds would try and stop you if you took the relic. The Silver might try and stop you if you tried to take Serpent, Christine certainly would. Beyond that? The dwarves won't leave without the relic/maul. But if you dropped everything (left Serpent and the dwarves/maul) they would probably let you go as long as you do not actively harm them. Of course the Blues would still try and stop you, they can't risk anyone walking away from this battle.

Or will we take Christine with us? Or Neith?

It is unlikely that either of them would agree to abandon their people.

What about Serpent?

It is unlikely that Serpent would willingly abandon the wounded or Christine though you could always knock him out or something.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Which is what I am getting at. Leaving this business unfinished is all the way bad. We must see it through.

Jester

Arbiter
Mios can't do shit to us if he is alone. But he will keep an eye on everyone who tries to leave, and he made it clear he will try and intercept anyone who could tell Alric about what is happening here.
And would they even let us leave if we steal the relic and run for it? What about Serpent? Will we leave him behind? Or will we take Christine with us? Or Neith?

Would prefer to try evacuate people and leave everything beside hammer behind, still its look like there is only one retreat option with votes. As for Mios he will try to stop our evacuate, but he use mainly illusion using Nine as illusion detector will counter the most probable way he would interfere with us. They have brains ffs and i hope we can persuade Serpent to go back with us. If necessary we always can try knock him unconscious and leg it. Knock him out with power of voodoo healthy mind magic. Use Nine and lost circle to help us to make mind spell with will make reds forget about having dwarfs hammer for now, nothing permanent we need like hour or so.

Fangshi can it be done?

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Fangshi can it be done?

You could try and do a sort of mass compulsion to force everyone to leave but it would require constant line of sight to all of the Damned or they would begin to shake it off and your Circle wouldn't be able to do much except walk and maintain the spell. It is an option but it would be difficult.

Now you could dominate them and force them to leave that way. You could even release them after you escape.

Nine knows the spell but she says that it is too complicated to teach verbally to you as you lack the necessary magical knowledge to pull it off right now.

She gives you her sweetest smile and suggests that she could cast it if you would just let her in. You would have to link up with your circle and she would manually cast the spell using your Circle as a power source like a bunch of magical batteries all hooked up together.

As for using Nine as an illusion detector, yes she could tell you which are real and which are not.

The problem is that given how fast these things are it would do you little good. If four of them charged you, Nine would not be able to communicate with you quickly enough to stop the real one before it reached you. That will be the real trick here. Derryth can detect the illusions herself if given time but all Miosguinn has to do is get them into melee and cause confusion.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Jester said:
Would prefer to try evacuate people and leave everything beside hammer behind, still its look like there is only one retreat option with votes. As for Mios he will try to stop our evacuate, but he use mainly illusion using Nine as illusion detector will counter the most probable way he would interfere with us.
How would it help you when there suddenly would be 100 enemies on the field, only 20 of which are real? Would you ask Nine about each one, or would you let her in your head to be able to tell?

Edit: oh, FFS, Fangshi actually offers this as an option. :lol:

Not to mention that we have very limited ranged capabilities right now, and it would be better not to engage these things in melee. Throwing whatever little you have left at illusory targets is not the greatest of ideas. We steel need to reduce their numbers somehow before we could attempt a succesful retreat that would not require us dominating everyone present or mindwiping our companions.

Erebus

Arcane
Nine knows the spell but she says that it is too complicated to teach verbally to you as you lack the necessary magical knowledge to pull it off right now.

She gives you her sweetest smile and suggests that she could cast it if you would just let her in. You would have to link up with your circle and she would manually cast the spell using your Circle as a power source like a bunch of magical batteries all hooked up together.

I vote for adding the following option to every single vote in the future :

Option 9 : Let the severed talking head enter your mind and hopefully give it back after she takes care of the problem.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Is there way to use anti magic stone as base for Illusion dispel or overcharge it to use as dispel grenade?

Jester said:
Would prefer to try evacuate people and leave everything beside hammer behind, still its look like there is only one retreat option with votes. As for Mios he will try to stop our evacuate, but he use mainly illusion using Nine as illusion detector will counter the most probable way he would interfere with us.
How would it help you when there suddenly would be 100 enemies on the field, only 20 of which are real? Would you ask Nine about each one, or would you let her in your head to be able to tell?
Emm if we go with B1 they will have to kill rest of Reds and Silvers before they give chase and we wiped out over half their forces so they would need to focus on fortress to overrun it giving us time to run i believe.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Is there way to use anti magic stone as base for Illusion dispel or overcharge it to use as dispel grenade?

Hmmm... that might work.

You would need to overload or destabilize the magic in the stones but that could be doable. It would permanently destroy the stones though and they are quite rare but yeah if you want to turn them into grenades it would take time (so A or D) but it is possible.

Edit:
If you do this it would be a one way transformation. Once they are destabilized I would highly recommend against sticking them in your mouth.

Nevill

Arcane
Jester said:
Emm if we go with B1 they will have to kill rest of Reds and Silvers before they give chase and we wiped out over half their forces so they would need to focus on fortress to overrun it giving us time to run i believe.
Or they can go straight to the lower tunnels because those 5 people aren't going anywhere.

You see, people in the fortress are less of a threat than Alric. So I would assume Mios would concentrate on not letting anyone out and pursuing those who would.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Instead of defending this place with a trap, why don't we rig it up to blow and retreat? Maybe even try to collapse the tunnel behind us.

I mean seriously, what are we fighting for here? To stop couple dozen spiderpeople worshiping some goddess?

We should use the sachel charges to rig up a a few traps 2-3 charges per trap. Designed to make them cautious about advancing, while we run the other way.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Instead of defending this place with a trap, why don't we rig it up to blow and retreat? Maybe even try to collapse the tunnel behind us.

I mean seriously, what are we fighting for here? To stop couple dozen spiderpeople worshiping some goddess?

We should use the sachel charges to rig up a a few traps 2-3 charges per trap. Designed to make them cautious about advancing, while we run the other way.
The minions aren't really a threat to us. Miosguinn is because he's capable of manufacturing more spider-creatures. What we really need to do is take him out, then the threat is neutralised for the immediate future. His apprentice may eventually revive it, but I doubt she's as competent with this stuff as her master.

Nevill

Arcane
There are several tunnels leading out of this place. It's not like there is only one way fot them to pursue us. It only takes several hours to completely circumvent any traps there might be.

Not to mention - what exactly would you place your traps? Your retreat path from the fortress? Why do you need it if they can't get inside the fortress and follow us the same way?

We are trying to kill the creatures to leave Miosguinn without defenses, then hunt him down.

Smashing Axe said:
The minions aren't really a threat to us.
Well, they kind of are. They are what Miosguinn uses as his main weapon against us.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The minions aren't really a threat to us. Miosguinn is because he's capable of manufacturing more spider-creatures. What we really need to do is take him out, then the threat is neutralised for the immediate future. His apprentice may eventually revive it, but I doubt she's as competent with this stuff as her master.
I guess my question is why do we care? He doesn't want to stop us from our goal.

Nevill

Arcane
I guess my question is why do we care? He doesn't want to stop us from our goal.
Sorry... what?
Through the spyglass you can see Miosguinn chuckle, "I can respect that dwarf! But if you will not join then you must die! You really should have gone back with Derryth, Jori, but now it is too late for all of us! I can not risk you returning to the surface and spreading word of the Damned, we are not yet ready to fight Alric!"

Turn back. Destroy this letter, pretend you have never set eyes upon this place and leave those dwarves to whatever end they make for themselves. I beg you, turn back.

You have no reason to believe me or to trust me save for the fact that I have never done you wrong but I ask you to follow my advice. If you value your life and those of your friends turn back before you lose everything. There are other paths to take to reach your goal, pursue them instead.

M-

I hope you will not hold it against me if I pray we never meet again
That is literally saying: if you learn about what is happening here, I will have to kill you. And we did. Of course he wants to stop us!

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
He wants mass conversions and to suppress word of his threat leaking out to Alric? The reason he warned us off before was because he knew we didn't know enough about the threat the spider-creatures posed at the time, but if we proceeded he knew he would eventually have to kill us.

It's going to take time for his spider-cult to recover enough to pose a threat to the city above, so suppression of information is all the more important.

Nevill

Arcane
On another note.
Nine thinks that the power he is receiving would be withdrawn if Miosguinn angered his "goddess" but you are not sure how to accomplish that...
Fangshi, do the Reds and the Silvers worship the same Goddess, but in a different way? I mean, they are, too, a part of the Spider Cult, right? What do they know about her? What powers does she have, what goals she has, what makes her tick, what can make her angry - that info would we quite precious right now.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Boxer said:
Why was Mios graverobbing with us? For fat loot?

Something important occurred a week or two back that changed everything for him, the Blues and all of the Damned. Can't get more specific than that for the moment.

That book he found in the library. Any bets that this book is what enables him to now tap into his goddess' powers?

Anyhow, will vote later when I've mulled over the options a bit more.

Nevill

Arcane
That book he found in the library. Any bets that this book is what enables him to now tap into his goddess' powers?
Bingo. A black tome in Theology: Planar section? It could not have been anything else.

Nevill

Arcane
I also wonder about the amulets they have:
Brigit also has her first report for you. She has been watching the Children and so far they have done nothing suspicious, well nothing more suspicious than normal. She has not seen either of them in possession of a black tome like you described to her. They are however very protective of a warded blue-grey metal chest but that is not too odd for a pair of mages. She also noticed that each wears a small amulet around their necks which they try to always keep concealed. It is odd but when you ask her for more details on the amulets she has trouble remembering anything.
Do they contain the enchantments that conceal their true form? Or is there something more to it?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, do the Reds and the Silvers worship the same Goddess, but in a different way? I mean, they are, too, a part of the Spider Cult, right? What do they know about her? What powers does she have, what goals she has, what makes her tick, what can make her angry - that info would we quite precious right now.

Well if you want the full story right now you would have to pick A or D. In B and C you are too busy to listen to a history lesson. But you ask them for the basics and this is what they tell you:

Yes they are all part of the same Cult, you gather that they do worship the same goddess but they chose different aspects of her to emulate. Casgair admits that he does not know the sacred scriptures very well. He leads the warriors, he is not a priest. His wife was but she died with all the other priests a day or so ago when the Blues first attacked. What little he knows paints her as a vengeful and bloody handed goddess, a goddess of warriors. Neith has a completely different interpretation, she speaks of the goddess as a manipulator, a spinner of webs and a hoarder of knowledge. The two of them both agree however that the Blues practice a laughable and degraded form of their religions.

The Blues worship the goddess as a literal spider and sought to make themselves more like her. They had a tendency to ingest spider venom and the like, usually the results were somewhere between hilarious and tragic. Honestly until two days ago the Blues were considered a bit of a joke. Then the attack came and wiped out almost all of the Reds and Silver, suddenly the Blues were no longer a joke.

From the story they tell you it is clear that neither of them have ever actually contacted their goddess. They tell you that she is powerful, deadly, and great but nothing actually helpful. They are certain that whatever power Miosguinn is in contact with can not be her as she would never attack her faithful followers...

When you ask what could make her mad they argue over the interpretations of their holy works and on the proper way to prepare sacrifices but it is clear that you will learn nothing helpful from them.

The impression you come away with is that these two are somewhat out of their depth here. They are used to playing politics and leading their Orders on raids and the like, they were not prepared for the war Miosguinn brought to their doorstep.

Current Tally:
Baltika9 C2
Absinthe A
Smashing Axe C2
Grimgravy A
Boxer Bi
Nevill D
Erebus D
GreyViper D
Jester Bi
Kz3r0 D
Azira C2>D>A
Zero Credibility B5 > A > D

A) 2 votes

B)
i. 2 votes
ii.
iii.
iv.
v. 1 vote

C)
i.
ii. 3 votes

D) 4 votes

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom