Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

You guys do know what happened the last time when you voted for one of my plans, right?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But now we number eight people in our ranks. It is going to be different this time!

Mios is either in the upper floor, or in the basement. The upper floor, because there may be some kind of artifacts or tools there, too unwieldy to use in the battle that took the place yesterday. The basement, because this is a perfect place for some dark ritual, and we still don't know whom the power that he is channelling belongs to.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
I still think we should go for the basement first to rule out the possibility of alerting him and letting him get away through a possible basement escape route.

Jester

Arbiter
Ok so Mios has come here what for? Either he have some card (either more people witch is unlikely, mysterious powersource or potent attack artefact/spell) he still can play or is preparing for escape. I expect that top floor is most possible place for him to be, followed by basement where he could be storing some of his experiments.

So we can either start top trying to interrupt posiblle artefact use getting to bottom or start bottom to check if there is escape route to make sure he is trapped and go up.
1A - Christine, Serpent, Brigit and Biliku.
2A
3C

asxetos

Augur
1B
2Bi
3A

Group1: Derryth, Bari, Biliku, Uttu
Group2: Gareth, Brigit, Serpent, Christine

Dont leave anyone at the door. Split the group in two and go for the top floor. The two groups are balanced and in case one gets in trouble, the other can come to assist from a flanking position.

Off-topic question: Fangshi have you read the Acts of Caine books by any chance?

GreyViper

Prophet
BAA for some reason I think he will either be on second floor or basement. Basement would make a better ambush spot. Hmm the thing about leaving people to guard the door makes me speculate that Mio could lure us to building let it crash down and flee.

Fangshi

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
I'm not sure what would this option be - Bi? Or would this be freeform?

Let's call guarding the stairs Biii since it is a two team variant.

asxetos said:
Off-topic question: Fangshi have you read the Acts of Caine books by any chance?

No, can't say I have. I have heard of them and know the basics but I have never read them. Any good?

Current Count:

Kz3r0 1b 2a 3?
Anabanana 1a 2a 3c Door: Biliku, Uttu, Serpent
Zero Credibility 1b 2biii 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, Uttu
Smashing Axe 1b 2biii 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, Uttu
Nevill 1b 2biii 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, Uttu
Jester 1a 2a 3c Door: Christine, Serpent, Brigit and Biliku.
asxetos 1b 2bi 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Biliku, Uttu Team 2: Gareth, Brigit, Serpent, Christine
GreyViper 1b 2a 3a
Boxer 1a 2bii 3b(c) Door: Uttu Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, (Uttu)
Grimgravy 1b 2a 3b

A) 3 votes
B) 7 votes

A) 5 votes
B)
i. 1 vote
ii. 1 vote
iii. 3 votes

A) 5 votes
B) 2 vote
C) 2 votes

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
No, can't say I have. I have heard of them and know the basics but I have never read them. Any good?
Great books. Definitely read them if you are into dark fantasy. I was asking because the protagonist's father always advises him to take baby steps, take one step at a time towards his goals.

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
How about taking down the whole building with the gate spell?

:lol: I like the thought but you do not have enough skilled mages to pull it off. The first time Derryth, Miosguinn and Eris did most of the heavy lifting and you had eight mages. This time Derryth would have to do almost everything unless you want to put a lot of faith in Christine. You also only have four mages this time which would also make things much harder. If you started preparing now you could probably open a Gate and collapse it in about eight hours but by then Miosguinn will have done whatever he is attempting to do (ritual/retreat/what have you).

asxetos said:
Great books. Definitely read them if you are into dark fantasy. I was asking because the protagonist's father always advises him to take baby steps, take one step at a time towards his goals.

Huh, funny coincidence that but it is good advice so it probably pops up in all sorts of things. Anyway, I do have a soft spot for dark fantasy so I will definitely check them out when my reading list gets a little lighter. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nevill said:
Mios is either in the upper floor, or in the basement.

Nah, he is totally in the kitchen making himself dinner.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Nevill said:
Mios is either in the upper floor, or in the basement.
Nah, he is totally in the kitchen making himself dinner.

We hit top there is Mios tampering with artifact of doom.
We hit bottom there is Mios making unspeakable spider horrors.
We are to afraid to enter the kitchen and bedrooms.

Nevill

Arcane
Kz3r0 1b 2a 3?
Anabanana 1a 2a 3c Door: Biliku, Uttu, Serpent
Zero Credibility 1b 2biii 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, Uttu
Smashing Axe 1b 2biii 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, Uttu
Nevill 1b 2biii 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Gareth, Brigit Team 2: Serpent, Christine, Biliku, Uttu
Jester 1a 2a 3c Door: Christine, Serpent, Brigit and Biliku.
asxetos 1b 2bi 3a Team 1: Derryth, Bari, Biliku, Uttu Team 2: Gareth, Brigit, Serpent, Christine
GreyViper 1b 2a 3a
Fangshi, this is one of the cases when the votes can't be counted separately, because they depend on each other.

Right now, we have 2 voters that want to guard the door, and those can't split the party any further. We have 2 voters that don't want to guard the door and prefer to travel in one big group, and we have 4 voters that want to have 2 teams doing their own thing.

What we have in the result, though, is that the votes of those who can't spare any resourses add to the votes of those who don't want to, culminating in a plan that makes no sense.

This could have been avoided, if the 2nd choice was dependent on the 1st:
2. Groups: If you don't guard the door (that is, if you don't split the group before this choice), do you split the group to search the house?

Then way you actually can get an accurate estimate of what people want.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Right now, we have 2 voters that want to guard the door, and those can't split the party any further. We have 2 voters that don't want to guard the door and prefer to travel in one big group, and we have 4 voters that want to have 2 teams doing their own thing.

What we have in the result, though, is that the votes of those who can't spare any resourses add to the votes of those who don't want to, culminating in a plan that makes no sense.

You have eight people. You can in theory both guard the door and split into two groups to search by going 3,3,2 or 4,2,2 or some other combination so I see no need to link choice 1 and 2.

As for what people want well none of you are particularly shy. I am sure you can work out a plan without me holding your hands... :lol:

And if you can't then I get to have a little fun is all... ;)

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
1 front door
c uttu guards with a magic stone in her mouth, make her count/scream every 20-30 seconds
uttu goes to team beta if guarding the front is outvoted

2 groups
b you split into two
alpha
derry magic stone in mouth
garet magic stone in mouth
brig
bari magic stone in mouth

beta
serp
chris
bili

3 which floor first
main (alpha)
basement (beta)

... we do have magic stones? right? ...

Fangshi

Arcane
Boxer said:
... we do have magic stones? right? ...

You do, but you only have two left (one of your original three and Serpent has lent you his in case you need to give it to someone). Two have been destabilized and made into grenades, one was used at the battle and you are carrying the other. Oh and of course Miosguinn still has his as well.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
:lol:

Well I will admit. If you throw a dwarf with a grenade in his mouth at Miosguinn you will surprise the man... can't say if it would work... but you would definitely surprise him.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Well I will admit. If you throw a dwarf with a grenade in his mouth at Miosguinn you will surprise the man... can't say if it would work... but you would definitely surprise him.
This now is my plan.

Jester

Arbiter

We exploded one of nades on biological targets so we should know if people caught in blast looked like having some side effects. If there was none, question is will it work or does dwarf have to open his mouth for it to work so there will be like antimagic breath weapon. And how he will trigger grenade. Does this nade work on discharge of magical energy?

Every time there is P&P involved there are some weird **** going on. Crucial part of fun i would say. Operation 1000 ghost etc. ;)

Nevill

Arcane
Does not seem like much DISCUSS is going on. Maybe it's time to close the polls as to where the teams go and vote on what people the teams are comprised of, seeing as how there is no consensus there.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
We exploded one of nades on biological targets so we should know if people caught in blast looked like having some side effects. If there was none, question is will it work or does dwarf have to open his mouth for it to work so there will be like antimagic breath weapon. And how he will trigger grenade. Does this nade work on discharge of magical energy?

Well the sapphires themselves are not too dangerous. Given how hard sapphires are and their use as insulators the stones themselves are unlikely to physically explode or anything. The danger comes from the discharge of magical energies that occurs when the runes finally explode which does generate a fair amount of heat. Normally it might cause minor burns but if all that energy was trapped in someone's mouth then it may do more severe damage.

Anyway we are getting near the forty eight hour mark so I think I will close the polls soon. At the moment the winning options are:

Current Tally:

A) 3 votes
B) 7 votes

A) 5 votes
B)
i. 1 vote
ii. 1 vote
iii. 3 votes

A) 5 votes
B) 2 vote
C) 2 votes

You will not leave anyone at the door, you will travel in one large group, and you will search the offices upstairs first.

Polls will close in two hours. (If one of the options where you split the party does win I will give you extra time to figure out who is going where.)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright then. Polls closed, you will move as a single team through the upper floor and we will see what you find.

At least Miosguinn will not be able to glamour your party and make you massacre each other this way... :lol:

I should have the next update out in 8-12 hrs.

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 19: The Price of Power

"Well now what?" Uttu lets out in a whine. You are all crushed. Miosguinn is not here.

"The stone points right to this room," Gareth replies, "He has to be here."

"We should go back downstairs and secure the entrance," Serpent suggests, a little frustrated at the situation.

"No we should all head for the basement right now," Biliku demands and her sister nods in agreement.

"Maybe we should split up," Christine suggests.

"Not against a master illusionist. He could have us fighting each other in a heartbeat," Bari grumbles.

The room is richly furnished. Shelves filled with books line all four walls, interspersed with busts and tapestries probably plundered from nearby sites. Miosguinn lives in style.

Six of your companions argue amongst themselves in the center of the room but you pay them no mind. You are a treasure hunter, a dungeon runner and you know that not everything is as it appears. Brigit for her part is inclined to agree and the two of you are trying to figure out where Miosguinn could be.

"What do you think Derryth?" the two of you stare at the stone. It points at the far wall, "It has to be a fake wall right?"

You nod your head as she speaks, "Well it is also possible that he is simply below us but yes I think so. It would not surprise me if he had a secret room back there somewhere. The man is a mage after all. The question is, if there is a room is the door mechanical or magical in nature?"

She gives you a grin, "Only one way to find out."

The two of you set about testing every book, every statue, every drawer in his desk, eventually you find something. A fake compartment in the back of one of the bookshelves. Opening it you find a button which you naturally press. Part of the wall slides away to reveal a large room.

White walls, white floor, white ceiling, and a soft white light emanating from the center of the room. On the far wall are six glass tanks filled with a blue gray liquid. Bobbing in each tank is a body.

You wave over the rest of your group. If you know anything about secret doors it is that they can close as quickly as they open and you do not want to be cut off from them. You even go so far as to sit a chair in the doorway to ensure you are not all trapped in there.

Upon closer inspection each body bears a striking resemblance to Isolde. These six Isoldes, each identical to the last, float in silence, the runes inscribed on each tank give off a low hum.

The eight of you take in your surroundings, Gareth mutters, "What the hell is Miosguinn doing in here."

One of your companions hazards a guess but you are far more concerned with a small door leading out of the far side of the room. A door that is slowly opening. You ready an assault spell as a figure steps into the room.

A blue-grey staff, blue-grey robes and arms full of books and artefacts, Miosguinn enters the room. His eyes are bloodshot, his hair dishevelled, you doubt he has slept since the battle. When he sees you he stops dead in his tracks and drops most of what he is carrying. A glass sphere hits the ground and shatters igniting a small fire at his feet as his tomes go up in flames.

He manages to hold on to one object however. A small cube inscribed with runes that match those on the glass tanks.

"Derryth," he lets out a low hiss, "why... why are you doing this... why did you not listen to me... why did you not turn back?"

You can feel the hostility he radiates towards your group and you can also feel the hostility they radiate back. Bari, Christine, Biliku and Uttu are just waiting for the order to attack. You are fairly certain that if they do not receive it soon they will anyway.

"The Damned had Serpent, Miosguinn, we could not leave him," you answer cautiously.

He lets out a short laugh, there is only a little malice in it but enough bitterness to make up the difference, "Luck then? Everything I have been striving for, for decades undone by a little bad luck..." he stares at his feet, remarkably unconcerned at the variety and quantity of weapons levelled against him, "But you have your friend back now," he gestures at Serpent, "Why pursue me?"

"The stone Miosguinn, my stone, you have it yes?" you gesture at the man.

The mage nods, "I do. If you want it back simply ask..."

"Tyrvard died in the battle Miosguinn," Serpent interjects, "Can you give him back to us as well?"

Miosguinn scowls, annoyed, "Many people died in that battle. Three whole Orders were extinguished. Do not throw that in my face physician! I tried to spare lives! I offered a peaceful solution!"

Bari grits his teeth, "You offered slavery, mage!"

He shakes his head, his eyes filled with sorrow, "We are all slaves. From the moment we are born to the moment we die we are their slaves..."

You tilt your head, "Who's slaves?"

He gives you a sick smile, "The Gods..." he stops for a moment, unsure if he should continue.

"I... I once told you that I made a mistake in my youth Derryth. Several decades ago the creatures at the center of the city became more aggressive. We only learned the reason much later but the results were immediately apparent. They attacked us, and they butchered many of the Damned. We had been in decline for generations, but the creatures could very well have finished the job right then and there. We won in the end but the cost was high. Among the dead were my family..."

He sees the sympathy written on your face, "No... no pity Derryth... rage... hatred... anything but pity."

He shakes his head as if trying to forcibly clear his mind, quietly he continues, "At any rate I must admit I cared little for them. It was almost a relief when I found them dead... but there was someone I could have saved... should have saved... a girl," he lets out a peculiar laugh as he gestures to the tanks, "I suppose there always is a girl..."

You have a sick feeling in your stomach, "This girl you lost... she was Isolde?"

He nods, "I searched for a way to bring her back for decades. Every night I lay awake in fear, worrying that I might fail. What should have terrified me was the prospect of success. Five years ago I found a being I believed to be our Goddess... at least she claimed to be... maybe she even is but I can tell you that she is nothing like what they worship," he gestures to your Damned allies, "she is so... inhuman... she promised me everything I wanted and she delivered Derryth. She gave me everything I ever asked for."

"Power," he gestures at the objects at his feet, raising his chin defiantly.

"Wealth," he gestures back into his office, his eyes full of wonder.

"Love," he gestures at the tanks along the wall, a look of triumph passes over his face.

But just as quickly as it comes it is gone again. It dissipates and you picture his triumphs as they turn to ash, he continues, "But she took as well. For every gift she gave me she took so much more. Now I am her creature, her slave and I doubt even death will free me..."

This whole situation bothers you on a fundamental level, it feels so wrong, so unnatural and you feel the need to bring this to a close, "As interesting as this all is why bother to tell me?"

"You were decent to me Derryth..." he squints and takes a sharp breathe, "That means more than you could ever know down here. Before I continue I need to know that you understand the cost of power. That I paid for what I know but that I would also always make the choices I have. For me there is no other path."

You nod, "I think I understand but why is it so important that I do?"

He gestures to the door behind him, "It is important because she wants to meet you Derryth. She respects power, she respects success and she has an offer for you. She can give you anything Derryth, anything you could ever want but as I have said there is a cost. I will not lie to you there is a great cost..."

You look back at your companions, "What about them?"

He gives you a predatory smile, "I am sure you can work something out with my Mistress. She is not unreasonable, she has time and patience and understanding."

You ask the obvious question, "If I refuse?"

With one finger he carefully reaches into his shirt and pulls out his pendant, "Well then we find out how good you really are..." he grins at you and raises his cube, "And I get to test my new family..."

You frown, considering your options, "May I have a moment to confer with my colleagues?"

He lets out a sharp bark of a laugh, "No. That did neither of us any good last time. I am afraid I will require an immediate answer."

With that he quickly pops his Heaven Stone into his mouth. His hand moves faster than your eye as he assumes a defensive stance and awaits your response.

1. Your plan:

A) You decide to negotiate with his Mistress. You enter the room he came from, hopefully a fight does not break out while you are gone.

B) You have no interest in this Goddess of his. You try to negotiate with Miosguinn. Maybe you can still get your stone and escape before the fighting starts.

C) You attack immediately, if you are quick enough you may be able to catch Miosguinn off guard. Your companions should be ready to help as well. (Choices three and four are dependent on choosing a C option)

i. The Mentalist - You will attack with Assault in an attempt to drop him quickly before he can release his experiments. You will use both Energon Cubes to maximize your spell, it may just get past the Heaven Stone though you can not be sure. Once incapacitated you can do with him as you wish.

ii. The Firestarter - The small fire at his feet still smoulders. You use both of your Energon cubes and Create Fire to create a localized fireball. His Heaven Stone will not protect him from such an attack. With any luck the mage will be consumed within the flames.

iii. The Traditionalist -No, he will expect magic from you. You pretend to accept his offer but as you pass him you strike out with your knife. Some things just have to be done the old fashioned way.

iv. The Trickster - That cube is awfully distinctive. You think you can probably use Retrieve Item to steal it from him just like the belt buckle back when you met Thaïs. He will immediately retaliate with everything he has but at least he should be without allies.

D) Throw the Dwarf? ("Throw the dwarf at him with the magic grenade in his mouth, he will spit it at Miosguinn at close range and then unleash the other damage dealers, physical works best here.")

E)freeform

2. The grenade. Do you use it if necessary?

A) No - It is eight on one, the grenade would be overkill.

B) Yes - You will take no chances with Miosguinn now.

3. Miosguinn: If he survives your attack what will you do with him?

A) You let him go, you will not murder a defeated opponent. (You will have to convince your group to do this)

B) Take him as a prisoner, there are things he could teach you. (You will have to convince your group to let you do this)

C) Kill him quickly, no one deserves to be tortured. (You will have to calm down Bari if you do this)

D) Give him to Bari. The dwarf will make it slow...

4. The Mistress: Do you meet with her even if you attack/defeat Miosguinn?

A) Yes

B) No

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom