Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    That and Nine is really attached to us. Her supposed goal is to travel with us and see new things, just that. She might go Dark Lord on us if we outright reject her.

    She makes me think of Soulcatcher from the Black Company. Vain, whimsical, petty and vindictive, but they might favour you with power and prestige if you don't get on their bad side. They would kill you on a whim though.

    Show Spoiler
    Also Soulcatcher was a severed head for several years
     
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,868
    Obviously I meant leave her behind several locked and warded doors, not lying around where a kid could talk to her. And I hope we already warned Amena about her, if not it's about time. I don't mind having Nine around, it's just that having her around on a diplomatic mission where we are not actually expecting trouble might be taking an unnecessary risk. Sure, take her on our next great treasure hunt, but why are we taking her to the dwarfs?

    I am worried about leaving only those two kids to guard the rest of the kids though. If something goes wrong they don't even know how to get out. Can we arrange for Brigit or Gareth to visit them occasionally with supplies and help and to check on things? Some of their men would be trustworthy enough for that after all.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Thx for having me Azira. ;)
    Part 1: The Tower, Amena and Ithapi
    1 D) Aim for a more balanced and structured approach. They will be given time to themselves but most of there time will be spent in study with Amena or working with Ithapi. - highest quality is person who can think and fight.

    2 C) Mby try to convince them to worship another god, i dont know pantheon in this setting so i cant give names. Something similar to red or silver concept depends where those worshipers were born mby.

    Give them their childhood, but couple it with responsibility. And they ought be taught that their goddess was what almost destroyed them via Miosguinn. She holds no love for them nor us, and should be given no worship.

    Part 2: The Muscle, Gareth and Brigit
    1
    A ii. You leave them a moderate sum

    2 C) Yes, make them concentrate on jobs dealing with dark forces.

    A moderate compound to begin with means we attract less attention. I want Derryth back here before we start attracting too much attention, but then again, I'd appreciate that Gareth got our new recruits into fighting shape as quickly as possible while weeding out bad sorts. A smattering of contracts would facilitate this.
    think like you without main leader and Thais it could be hard to deal with, dealing with undeads should get them in shape and keep them out of power struggle and probably there are quite number of such jobs.

    Part 3: Your group
    1 A) Yes - you are confident you will be able to hide her. - Better to have her with us, would be quite cruel to leave her, dont see many people who are sturdy enough to deal with talking head. If someone see her excuse that we are mage who like to collect heads of her enemies, cold make people think we mean business. And she dont look dead rather cursed like hell.

    2 C ii. A group of dwarves Bari has had some dealings with in the past. Reliable but eccentric. - We are friend to dwarfs, even you king. It will help them to buy our story easier.

    It's not as much a question of her being trouble if she's found out, as much as I'm not exactly trusting her enough to let her stick around the orphans who might do something stupid. And Amena spent much of her formative years as a servant and slave to Eris. Nine would have a field day with her..
    Oh, and travelling with d0rfs to meet the d0rf king seems fitting in so many ways.

    Part 4: Your training
    1 A)Dwarven Language - Thaïs is learning Dwarven from Bari, you could join her and see what you can pick up. - sometimes its good to know what people say without them finding out that.

    E) Try to understand how heaven stone works and learn from it. if thats not possible i go with B)

    Part 5: Your vault
    Move this thing to the vault:
    the Dream Map and Notes, Haliacynt stone, Henry book and Miosguin stuff
    plan is to talk with dwarfs, so we dont need dream map and notes, Mios stuff is potentially dangerous and i wouldnt like for anyone to get information from book. Especially after we written there that we got stone and it wont work without second part.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well... nobody believes it will end with us just accepting their hospitality and walking away, right? They are probably still clearing their lands of ghouls, and seeing how we are pretty badass, I would not be surprised if they wanted to try and enlist our help for something like this.

    I'd prefer to have the Halcyon Stone with us at all times if only to attune ourselves to it, and to learn how to use it better. Even as a half of the whole it sounds quite powerful, and it definitely works, since Miosguinn used it against us in the battle. The tactical applications of changing the weather on the fly are many - extinguishing fires with rain, blowing the arrows away, maybe we could learn to guide lightning or freeze stuff.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,387
    Part 1: The Tower, Amena and Ithapi


    1. Amena and Ithapi - since the two of them will be looking after the children while you are gone you will have to give them instructions on what to do with them.



    2. Some of the children have expressed an interest in worshipping their goddess. Do you let them?


    Part 2: The Muscle, Gareth and Brigit


    1. You think it might be a good idea to train your warriors on the surface. Gareth and Brigit will have to purchase a compound to do this though and you do not have time to go shopping around with them. You will have to decide if you want them to purchase a compound or not. Also you will need to supply them with the resources to do so They will use the funds you leave them to make the best purchase possible.



    2. While you are gone Gareth may want to test out your new forces by taking a few mercenary contracts. It would make you some money and if they do well it will give your group a bit of a reputation. It may also make enemies... Do you let him take any contracts?



    Part 3: Your group

    1. A talking head will raise a lot of questions, while not illegal she will draw attention. Do you take Nine with you or leave her at the tower?


    2. There are a number of ways you can travel to Myrgard. How do you want to go about it?



    Part 4: Your training

    1. Travelling on the road, you won't really be able to practice more complex tasks but there are a few things you could try and accomplish. (Pick two)



    Part 5: Your vault


    We keep these:
    These go in the vault.
     
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    ^ Top  
  6. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Expect more of troubles with succession of throne (TM), shady business (not TM) and fight against old time traditionalists (TM) rather than clear ghouls quest TM. Can be wrong though, mby we will arrive in middle of demon goat invasion (what the?). Depends on style of GM, sometimes they can be quite crafty, insane or simply smart.

    There are 2 rules:
    1st GM wish to kill you and rest of your party. 2nd The better GM is way he wish to achieve this become less oblivious and may or not involve falling anvils, riddles, random stampede, acid, other planes of existence (usually hell or something similar), logic bomb, fantasy or normal nuke and communist penguins. Low level monsters can be used to rub salt into pride wound. GM is not for everyone, before using one you should seek advise of doctor, seer or oracle depend on used game system.

    Funniest things usually are unexpected. That goes for player and master. ;)
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Gareth and Brigit will check in on them every month or two just to be sure nothing has happened and to resupply them.

    Sure you can try to get them to switch gods. From an out of character perspective there are no "real" gods except the Dark Gods, Wyrd and Nyx. Nyx only listens to the Trow, Wyrd is not in a position to help anyone and the Dark Gods are, well, dark gods as I have already mentioned. Within the setting though there are hundreds of local gods and spirits, people pray to them for all sorts of things though none of them are in fact real.

    Added.

    Sure I can add that as an option. Just don't expect to achieve a whole lot. You will be away from your library and your magical contacts so the odds of successfully researching your artefacts are quite small till you get back to the tower or to somewhere with a good magical library.

    Current Tally:
    Smashing Axe:
    Part 1: 1.B>D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.A Part 4: 1.A, D>C>B Part 5: Nothing
    Baltika9:
    Part 1: 1.B 2.B Part 2: 1.Aiii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, B Part 5: Nothing
    Nevill:
    Part 1: 1.A 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.C>A Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1. B, C Part 5: Dream Map, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Anabanana:
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.B 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.A Part 4: 1.A, B Part 5: Dream Map, Weathered Book, Halcyon Stone, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Azira:
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, B Part 5: Dream Map
    Zero Credibility
    Part 1: 1.D>A 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.B 2.Cii Part 4: 1.D, C Part 5: Dream Map, Belt Buckle, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube, Tyrvard's Still
    Jester
    Part 1: 1.D 2.C Part 2: 1.Aii 2.C Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, E>B Part 5: Dream Map, Halcyon Stone, Weathered Book, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Kz3r0
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.B Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, E Part 5: Belt Buckle, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Grimgravy:
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.A Part 4: 1.A, C Part 5: Tyrvard's still, Dream Map, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube


    Part 1: Tower Group
    1. Education
    A) 1 vote
    B) 2 votes
    C)
    D) 6 votes

    2. Goddess
    A)
    B) 8 votes
    C) 1 vote

    Part 2: Gareth's Group
    1. Compound
    A)
    i.
    ii. 7 votes
    iii. 1 vote
    B) 1 vote

    2. Contracts
    A) 6 votes
    B) 1 vote
    C) 2 vote

    Part 3: Your Group
    1. Nine
    A) 8 votes
    B) 1 vote

    2. Escort?
    A) 3 votes
    B)
    C)
    i.
    ii. 6 votes
    iii.

    Part 4: Training
    A) 7 votes
    B) 4 votes
    C) 3 votes
    D) 2 vote
    E) 2 votes

    Part 5: The way this will work is you will need to get enough votes for an item to move it into the vault. If half of the voters choose to deposit something then it will be deposited. If there are an uneven number of voters I will round up, so nine voters would require five votes to deposit an item.

    Dream Map - 6 votes
    Miosguinn's Stone - 6 votes
    Miosguinn's Cube - 6 votes

    Halcyon Stone - 2 votes
    Henry's Book/Weathered Book - 2 votes
    Belt Buckle - 2 votes
    Tyrvard's Still - 2 vote

    Nothing - 2 votes
     
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'll switch to 2.2 C>A. (contracts dealing with dark forces)

    I assumed that would be the case with Gareth anyway.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    He will take what he can get in A. That might be fighting undead or the Dark but it could also be fighting human opponents. If given his way he will want to test them out against a variety of enemies (you never know who you will have to fight).

    In C he will be more picky. Most of what he will be fighting will be undead and necromancers, maybe the odd myrkridia or the like as well. He will also have to spend more time outside the city than in A. But it will be less likely to make enemies in the city.

    At any rate in both choices he will always do what he thinks is best.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,500
    Great idea, let the man do his thing. He's the commander of our men, he plain knows better how to train them.

    Not to rush, but when can we expect the Serpent-Christine special?
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    When it makes sense within the timeline. Serpent and Christine are still with you in the tower right now so probably not for a week or two. We will just have to see.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,264
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    P1) DB
    p2) A2A
    p3) AA
    p4) AC
    p5) leave the still, Miosguinn stuff, dream map
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
    Fangshi, add Miosguinn's Stone and Miosguinn's Cube to the vault for me, please.
     
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    ^ Top  
  14. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,868
    Oh yeah, add the still for me as well, that's probably a bit too bulky to be carrying around. Also, Miosguinn's stone, is that the magic resistance stone he took? If yes, we should take that, might come in handy.

    And really, why are we still carrying the belt buckle? Is it a magical belt buckle? Is it very valuable?
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Your are going to need that still for 4. B if it wins.

    It is the one he gave Tyrvard so that the Berserk could see through his illusions. The magic in it went dead when the mage did but if you study it you may be able to find out a few things...

    The Heaven Stone Miosguinn had is just a regular sapphire now. Your anti-magic grenade dispelled its magics. The grenade also took out all of the artefacts Miosguinn dropped except for the pair of bracelets you and Thaïs are sharing. Either the bracelets are just regular bracelets (and give off a false positive for magical enchantments) or there is a very powerful or unique spell on them. You won;t know until you have had time to do proper research.

    It is very distinctive, beyond that I can't say. If you want to throw it out or pawn it just let me know.
     
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,500
    I vote against leaving the sill. Moar booze is always good, especially if we're visiting dwarves. A diplomatic mission to the dwarves without booze is kinda dumb.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
    Gotcha. Edited my vote.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,868
    Oh, if it's inactive then put in the vault as well. I don't think we'll have much time for study on the road. The belt buckle too, damn quest items.

    Also, may I suggest that the number of votes required for putting something away be set at one half of total votes? In case there's more / less then 12 voters.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Fair suggestion. Sure.


    Edit:

    I will close things up in about 16 hours or so.
     
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Let's add to the list of the items we don't need:
    Miosguinn's Stone
    Miosguinn's Cube


    I support giving the belt buckle to Thais as a joke gift and as a reminder of our first meeting. It is the only use that this item can see, anyway.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Alright, the vote is closed. On to chapter 2 and the Dwarven Kingdom.

    Final Tally:
    Smashing Axe:
    Part 1: 1.B>D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.A Part 4: 1.A, D>C>B Part 5: Nothing
    Baltika9:
    Part 1: 1.B 2.B Part 2: 1.Aiii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, B Part 5: Nothing
    Nevill:
    Part 1: 1.A 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.C>A Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1. B, C Part 5: Dream Map, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Anabanana:
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.B 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.A Part 4: 1.A, B Part 5: Dream Map, Weathered Book, Halcyon Stone, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Azira:
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, B Part 5: Dream Map
    Zero Credibility
    Part 1: 1.D>A 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.B 2.Cii Part 4: 1.D, C Part 5: Dream Map, Belt Buckle, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube, Tyrvard's Still
    Jester
    Part 1: 1.D 2.C Part 2: 1.Aii 2.C Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, E>B Part 5: Dream Map, Halcyon Stone, Weathered Book, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Kz3r0
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.B Part 3: 1.A 2.Cii Part 4: 1.A, E Part 5: Belt Buckle, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube
    Grimgravy:
    Part 1: 1.D 2.B Part 2: 1.Aii 2.A Part 3: 1.A 2.A Part 4: 1.A, C Part 5: Tyrvard's still, Dream Map, Miosguinn's Stone, Miosguinn's Cube


    Part 1: Tower Group
    1. Education
    A) 1 vote
    B) 1 vote
    C)
    D) 7 votes

    The children will be instructed through a balanced approach.

    2. Goddess
    A)
    B) 9 votes
    C)

    No spider worship.

    Part 2: Gareth's Group
    1. Compound
    A)
    i.
    ii. 7 votes
    iii. 1 vote
    B) 1 vote

    Medium sized compound

    2. Contracts
    A) 6 votes
    B) 1 vote
    C) 2 vote

    You will let Gareth take jobs at his own discretion

    Part 3: Your Group
    1. Nine
    A) 8 votes
    B) 1 vote

    You will take Nine with you

    2. Escort?
    A) 3 votes
    B)
    C)
    i.
    ii. 6 votes
    iii.

    You will hire the dwarves

    Part 4: Training
    A) 7 votes
    B) 6 votes

    C) 3 votes
    D) 1 vote
    E) 1 vote

    You will try to learn Dwarven and you will take up professional drinking

    Part 5: The way this will work is you will need to get enough votes for an item to move it into the vault. If half of the voters choose to deposit something then it will be deposited. If there are an uneven number of voters I will round up, so nine voters would require five votes to deposit an item.

    Dream Map - 6 votes
    Miosguinn's Stone - 6 votes
    Miosguinn's Cube - 6 votes


    Halcyon Stone - 2 votes
    Henry's Book/Weathered Book - 2 votes
    Belt Buckle - 2 votes
    Tyrvard's Still - 2 vote

    Nothing - 2 votes

    The map and Miosguinn's things will go in the vault


    I should have the update done in 12-14 hours, time permitting.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,175
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Professional drinking, :yeah:
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Update ran a bit long. Only one choice to make in this update though there are a number of options available.

    Chapter 1: A Parting of Ways

    It has been a busy couple of months. Thaïs immediately accepted the partnership you offered her. Gareth took a bit more convincing but eventually he too gave into your arguments. The two of them should prove quite useful as you seek to expand your power base. With time who knows what you could achieve together.

    You spent the last two days handing out payment for services rendered in the form of a little gold and a lot of artefacts. It has been your experience that all artefacts fall within one of two camps. Some are immediately of use, their enchantments are obvious, useful and in high demand. Gareth's new sword that spits lightning, his new shield that instils fear, and Uttu's new quiver that enchants any arrow left within it for a limited time all have clear and immediately useful properties and belong to this camp.

    The second camp consists of artefacts that have unusual, obscure, or limited applications, your new ring for example. It will take research and experimentation to determine its effects. You lack the time for research and you possess enough wisdom to know how dangerous it is to simply experiment with a new magical item. Still someone created these artefacts for a purpose and you will unravel their meaning.

    "What do these do?" Thaïs is helping you catalogue your new finds, currently she is examining a pair of bracelets recovered from Miosguinn's stash.

    "Not sure..." you grumble, your nose lodged firmly in an old magical encyclopaedia.

    "Well have you tried putting them on?" she snatches them up.

    "No don't!" you move to stop her but she has already slipped one onto each wrist.

    Nothing happens.

    "Um... do you feel anything? Anything strange?" you ask as you stare at her, concern and curiosity fighting for dominance within you.

    She just shrugs, "No... maybe they are meant to be worn by two different people," she slips off one bracelet and holds it out to you, "Come on Derryth, help me out here."

    "Nope... no... not going to happen," you shake your head vehemently, "Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to go around triggering magical items? These bracelets could do anything..."

    She places one hand on each hip, "Derryth you are being paranoid again."

    You grin at her, "I am being cautious, not paranoid, it is how you stay alive in this business."

    "Coward," she hums.

    "Coward," Nine chimes in from her cushion, "I would try it dear..."

    You turn on the head, "Nine, stay out of this."

    She continues, ignoring your request, "She is right dear, take a chance every now and then."

    You gesture at your mentor, "This from a talking head. Maybe you took one too many chances Nine?"

    Her sing-song voice pitches a little lower than normal, it lends a vague aura of menace to her words, "Careful now dear. I would not tolerate such a tone from anyone else."

    "Sorry Nine..." you do not want her pouting or screaming again.

    She beams at you, "Oh that is fine dear. I know you have so much trouble with people. We are going to have to work on that.. In fact I know another spell that could..."

    Thaïs comes to your aid, "Certainly Nine, just not right now please."

    She gives your friend a warm smile, "Alright dear, later then. You are always so well mannered," she turns back to you, "Dear, you could learn a few things from your little friend. Just give it a try, I am certain that the bracelets are harmless "

    Turning her attention back to you, Thaïs picks up where she left off, "So Derryth... the bracelet?"

    You sigh, "You are not going to stop till I do this are you?"

    She nods, so you snatch up the bracelet and slip it on. It constricts, locking onto your wrist. Thaïs gasps, hers must have done the same as well. You feel a slight buzzing in the back of your mind but it lasts for only a moment and it is gone.

    Well you don't feel any different, still you do not like having the bracelet stuck on your wrist. You and Thaïs stand there in silence as Nine begins to cackle, "I can't believe you actually did that dear! Are you completely mad, you have no idea what those things do!"

    You snap a little, "Damn it Nine, you told me to do it!"

    She giggles uncontrollably, "Yes, but I am an insane talking head. Use a little sense dear..."

    You rub your temples, "This... this is why you don't just put things on Thaïs. Now we have to figure out how to get these off..."

    Nine still tittering slightly is happy to offer a suggestion, "Oh, I know! Cut your hands off!"

    "We are not cutting our hands off..." you mumble, "I... we will think of something. Beside these things do not seem to be doing anything at the moment..."

    Nine finally calms herself, "Dears, bring the bracelets over here. Maybe I can tell you something about them."

    The two of you stride over to Nine's resting place and hold out your arms, "Well dears the magics on these things seem to be protective in nature. I don't think they will hurt you. There is also another spell under the protection spells... something to do with communication but I have seen nothing like it before... hmm... anyway I think you can get them off if you have the right command word."

    "Which would be?" you ask together.

    "I am afraid I haven't a clue dears. A proper artificer might be able to figure it out but I do not know where you would find one."

    You and Thaïs turn to one another, the same idea at the front of both of your minds, "The Dwarves!"

    "Hmm... yes dears they might know. It is worth a try at least."

    One more thing for you to deal with it seems. Still at least the enchantments on the bracelets seem to be benign.

    --------------------------------------------------

    Tap, tap, tap. The silver spoon strikes the golden goblet. "If I can have your attention. I would like to propose a toast." Thaïs stands to your right. Your group has come together to mark the last night you will spend together for what could be many months. Tomorrow you will all go your separate, each to pursue separate goals. Though you have all sworn to return here within a year, none of you hold any illusions about how the world works. This could well be the last time you see many of these people.

    Thaïs sits to your right, Gareth to your left, Brigit next to him, followed by Serpent, Christine and Bari. Amena and Ithapi watch over the children in the adjoining room, might as well start practicing now you figure.

    One final chair sits at the table, empty. Tyrvard's sword rests against it a reminder of the friend you have lost.

    "I would like to toast the success of our venture. To the recovery of the Halcyon stone and enough wealth to set us all up for life!" your friends let our a hearty cheer at the mention of the wealth you have recovered, "I would also like to toast our leader, without which none of this would have been possible! To Derryth!"

    "To Derryth!" smiles on each face, your friends toast to your health.

    Christine calls out from the far end of the table, "Speech!" she smirks at you.

    You frown, "You all know I am terrible at speeches," you mumble.

    Serpent, who has had perhaps a little too much of Tyrvard's brew, takes up her cry, "Speeshh!"

    Well that does it, before long they are all chanting it, "Alright you bunch of assholes... but I warned you..."

    You get to your feet, you were never eloquent but with enough alcohol anything is possible, "It has been months since we left the surface, months without the sun, without warmth, without light. But here in this place you people were my warmth, you were my light. By your efforts," you gesture at those assembled here, "By your sacrifices," you gesture to Tyrvard's empty chair, "Each of you has helped achieve this success. Be proud of yourselves for I am proud of you all! To each of you! To friends here and those that could not be here, I salute you!"

    You down your goblet and drop into your chair as your friends applaud. Thaïs gingerly sits down next to you, "Not bad Derryth, not bad at all."

    It is an evening of celebration, an evening of excess and of revelry. You embrace it without reserve secure in the knowledge that there are too few such nights in a person's life. When you finally stumble back to your bed you collapse immediately and drift off into the ether.

    ----------------------------------------------------

    Sunlight, gorgeous, beautiful, magnificent, radiant sunlight. It washes over you as you step out of the front door of Thaïs' safehouse. Biliku and Uttu blink repeatedly, their mouths hang open in complete shock. You wonder what it must be like to see the sun for the first time, to experience a soft breeze on your skin. You give them time to take it all in, it is slightly amusing that they refuse to go more than two feet from you and Thaïs.

    A single gate spell has brought you all back to the surface. Amena and Ithapi remain behind to mind the children. You promised each of them personally that when you return they will get to see the sky and feel the fresh wind upon their skin. They will do their best you are sure but for now you must see to your remaining business.

    Mere hours later...

    "This, this is really too much Derryth," the physician can hardly believe your generosity. You have procured the best of everything, at no small expense, for their trip. The best coach you could find and good strong horses. A team of twelve mounted mercenaries from one of the most prestigious and reliable companies in the entire city and three chests of gold to cover any traveling expenses.

    You wave off his concerns, "Nonsense Serpent, it is the least I could do and you are my friends-"

    Christine cuts you off, "She is right dear, if the farmer wants to waste her money I say we let her."

    You grin, "Well one of you is my friend at least."

    She gives you a wink, "Love you too farmer. Well dear we should probably be going."

    Serpent nods, he gives each of you one final embrace and climbs into the coach, Christine stops in front of you and clasps you by the shoulder, "I just wanted to say thank you farmer, this really does mean a lot to both of us."

    You give her a slight nod, "Just enjoy yourselves and don't get killed."

    "Don't worry farmer we will be fine. We are not headed into a warzone like I hear you are," turning she climbs into the coach.

    "Look after yourself farmer," Christine calls out and before you know it the two of them are off. It will be a long trip but you have done as much as you can to ensure their success.

    "Well boss, where to next?"

    "You know Gareth you don't have to call me boss. Derryth would do."

    "Thanks but no thanks boss. You are still the one in charge even if I am part of management now."

    You place your hands on your hips and consider your options for a moment, "Well we have another thirty chests of gold we have to store somewhere and your girlfriend probably wants to see her folks so..."

    "Right Derryth, off to see da then," with a hop and a jump she is off and it is all your group can do to keep up with her as she slips though the streets and alleys of Muirthemne's Merchant Quarter.

    -----------------------------------------------

    The building she brings you to is rather nondescript, you would have passed by it without another thought and that is probably the point. There are no guards outside and as you enter the building you are struck by how empty and quiet it is. Brigit leads you into one of the bedrooms and right up to a bookshelf.

    She turns to you, looking each of you in the eyes, "Alright, when I get the door open they are going to be a little jumpy. Under no circumstances should any of you reach for a weapon. Once they realize who I am we will be safe."

    She pulls one of the books from the shelf and knocks three times on the back of the bookcase. The bookshelf slides away and your group is met by four armed guards each with a drawn sword levelled at your group. You are fairly certain you could take them all but thankfully it does not come to that. As soon as they see Brigit they lower their weapons.

    "Biddy?" their leader, is an older man. Thin and tall, hair greying around his temples. Thirty years ago he would have been quite a catch. Even now he is quite handsome though his face has its share of scars. He is familiar somehow. You look into his eyes, they are green, so very green and they are filled with tears...

    "Da!" she throws herself at him and he snatches her up.

    "Biddy, I thought... when you did not come back... I..." he hugs his daughter, joy overcoming any reservations he might normally have.

    "I am fine da. I was rescued by my friends," for the first time he notices you.

    "You? You saved my daughter? I... I can not thank you enough for this you..." now that he has had a moment to consider you he stops, "I know you. Where do I know you from?"

    "That's Derryth, da, the mage you sent me to meet," he nods and raises a hand to shush his daughter, "So you took my daughter then? Why?"

    Thaïs steps in, "We did not take your daughter sir I assure you. She signed on with our company and is an invaluable asset and a dear friend."

    The Dagda turns back to his daughter, "You were out on a job? All this time, I wait here worried to death and you were out on a job! Do you know, do you have any idea how long I looked for you!"

    Gareth has a great deal of difficulty watching anyone yell at Brigit, even her father, "Sir please lower your voice."

    "And who the hell are you! I will talk to my daughter-"

    "Da please, Gareth is my-"

    "Your what? What have you been doing for months girl! Out with it!"

    "Da please, just let me explain. These people did not abduct me. I went with them 'cause they needed me, they are my friends, they taught me magic and-"

    He hits her...

    So you hit him...

    A single assault spell levelled right at the man. He has no mental defences, he could not ward off the attack even if he knew what was happening to him. You could hold back... you choose not to.

    Your spell demolishes the man. He crumples to the ground with a whimper. His three subordinates raise their weapons to strike, you and Thaïs drop two of them with a thought. While Gareth has his blade out and at the third man's throat in the blink of an eye. The third man drops his weapon and raises his hands.

    "I... Derryth please do not hurt my da!" Brigit cries.

    "Don't worry Brigit, I am not going to hurt him... much," you grab the man and drag him over to a nearby chair.

    You give him a sharp slap to clear his head, "Now then Mister... Dagda is it?"

    You drag a chair over and sit down across from him, "I do not appreciate it when someone attacks my employees. Do it again and I will not be so gentle, understand?"

    He nods, "Good, now I understand that tempers run high in these sorts of situations. I understand that maybe you just got a little carried away there and that you are in fact incredibly sorry for your actions, right?"

    Again he nods, "Okay then, now I am willing to forget this whole little incident. Everyone overreacted right? I am sure the two of us will get along wonderfully but I will need a few things from you first. Understand?"

    For a third time he nods, "Good. Now here is what I want from you. You will rent me a warehouse for the use of my people in the city. You will charge me a fair rate and that is all..." you turn back to look at Brigit, "Also you will apologize to your daughter and if I ever so much as hear that you have laid one finger on her well..." you let the rest of your threat go unspoken.

    "I am sorry Biddy... I am sorry..." the man can manage little more than those three or four words. You order the remaining rogue to fetch paper and ink and right there in the bedroom you draw up a contract for the lease of one warehouse for a very reasonable price.

    Your group files back out into the street and you make your way out of the Merchant Quarter. Brigit and Gareth walk next to you.

    "Damn Brigit, your dad is a real piece of work," you shake your head.

    She tries to stand up for the man, "He normally isn't like that Derryth. He just... he was worried and he has a bit of a temper..."

    You frown, "Perhaps... perhaps... we will see."

    You slow down and let the rest of your group march ahead of you. You wave Gareth over, "Are you two going to be fine alone in the city?"

    Gareth give you a single self-assured nod, "Don't worry boss, we will look after each other and by the end of the day we won't be alone. I know a few people, old hands from my days in the Legion, each of them is easily worth ten regular men. With the money you have left us we will be fine. By the end of the month we will have a proper compound and enough strong arms to deal with anyone that wants to start something."

    You are about to begin lecturing him, "If the Dagda tries anything..."

    He shrugs off your concerns, "I have dealt with men like him most of my life Derryth. He won't try anything. You put the fear of Wyrd into him... honestly you are a bit terrifying when you go all battle mage like that..."

    You chuckle, "Well it is fun and what good is power if you never use it..."

    "Well this is it boss," your group has come to the final intersection. You will head over to the new Dwarven Quarter in search of Bari's old acquaintances while Gareth and Brigit will head off to the tent city in search of some of his old friends.

    You shake Gareth's hand and pull him in close, "Take care of her, that is an order understand?"

    He grins at you and salutes as he moves on to say goodbye to Thaïs, Bari and the girls.

    You pull Brigit close in a firm hug, "Take care of him, that is an order understand?" You give her a wink.

    She smiles at you and nods. A moment later the two of them have disappeared down the road to the Hanged Man and the tent city.

    "Alright everyone, let's get going," you and your group strike out towards the Dwarven Quarter.

    -----------------------------------------------

    Nine days out of Muirthemne.

    Your group has been making good progress. You travel light, just the nine of you. Days are spent cutting cross country while the nights are spent learning the ways of the dwarves. Bari and the mercenaries teach you and Thaïs how to speak Dwarven, you are both quick learners and you make remarkable progress. The rest of your time is spent learning to drink and it is not a simple matter of learning how to drink a lot, though that is part of it. It turns out that for a dwarf, what to drink and when to drink it can be even more important. You have a feeling that even the little you have absorbed so far will go a long way. Another few months and you will both be experts.

    Bari's old friends have proven a reliable and worthwhile addition to your group. Four old dwarves, they grumble, and they bicker but they are very good at their jobs. You have not encountered any servants of the Dark so far, a testament to Alric's efforts to secure the eastern lands and the skill of your scouts in avoiding threats.

    Your group is currently ten minutes outside of Blackford the last human settlement before entering the Dwarven Kingdom. You need to make this stop to resupply before you enter the true wastes of the southern hills. As you approach the town you notice smoke billowing into the sky.

    Bari scurries on ahead. Given his training he is the best person for the task.

    Ten minutes pass in complete silence before the Pathfinder returns and you group gathers around.

    "Undead," he grumbles, "About twenty of them... mostly unarmed ones... ghasts... with one or two of the armoured and trained kind... the thralls..."

    Thaïs frowns, "Any survivors?"

    Bari nods, "A bunch of peasants in a makeshift pen in the middle of town."

    You consider your options, "We could just go around them... Of course we do need to resupply somewhere and there are only twenty of them..."

    Bari shakes his head, "Probably more around there somewhere, probably a necromancer somewhere too holding them all together."

    "Okay, okay," you nod, "Can we make it to the next settlement without restocking?"

    The leader of your mercenaries shrugs, "Maybe... it would be close but we might be able to pull it off."

    Biliku chimes in, "We should help those people right?"

    You smile at her, "Nice thought kid but it is never that easy. Though there are good reasons to help... if there is a necromancer around then I do not envy those people... hell of a way to go..."

    "Well maybe we should turn back, find an imperial patrol and get them to help."

    Bari grunts, "I would rather not. It could take weeks and we have an appointment to keep."

    Well this is a bit of a dilemma. What to do...


    Current Party:

    Derryth - skilled mage, focus mental spells, some combat skill, some magical resistance (heaven stone), some physical resistance (bracelets), some medical skills

    Thaïs - skilled mage, focus mental spells, okay shot (crossbow), some physical resistance (bracelets)

    Biliku - warrior, great combat skills

    Uttu - archer, good shot (bow), frost arrows (40)

    Bari - Pathfinder, good combat skills, expert shot (dwarven cocktails), expert infiltrator

    Trakk: Dwarven warrior, great combat skills

    Gilling: Veteran Grenadier, good shot (dwarven cocktails)

    Felling: Grenadier, some medical skills, okay shot (dwarven cocktails)

    Telling: Mortar, great shot (mortar), explosive expert


    1. What to do? Stay or go. Help these people or leave them to their fates. Ultimately the choice is yours.

    A) Leave

    i. You will make for the next settlement. Hopefully your supplies will last.

    ii. You head back to the nearest Imperial fort. You passed one three days ago and that is probably your best bet.

    iii. freeform


    B) Stay

    i. You will attack the undead straight on. You should be able to handle twenty undead.

    ii. You try and lure them out into an ambush. Undead are notoriously stupid, without a necromancer to give them orders they would probably fall for an ambush.

    iii. You sneak in. You will get enough food and water to ensure you can make it to the next settlement. These people are done for anyway.

    iv. Same as in ii. but Bari will set up an ambush for the enemy necromancer provided they are present.

    v. Engage the undead in a running skirmish with the intention of drawing out and killing the commanding necromancer (provided there is one).

    vi. A combination of ii. and iii. you, Bari and Biliku as the most silent of the group will scavenge ahead for resources. If you run into trouble you will attempt to lead the undead back into an ambush set up by the rest of your group.

    vi.freeform
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,500
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,175
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    B2
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.