Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Wights are a walking danger to the enemy as well as us. I just think if we're able to do well in taking out the command team they'll be a boon to us more than anything else.

Disorganised, explosive, suicidal wights walking amongst an enemy army... Mmm

Besides, even when wights explode, it's a common occurrence for the enemy army to pick up wight parts and use them as ranged weapons. Similar to dwarven cocktails.

^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Fairly big. It won't take out the command tent (it is situated outside of the blast radius as a precaution) but it should get a fair number of the enemy (mostly thralls and ghasts) and will definitely draw the attention of the enemy. After that it depends on how the garrison and the necromancers respond.

^ Top  
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Hmm, I think I'll go with plan G as it does sound like a good idea to coordinate with the defenders. We can probably count on the dwarfs to help us out, but it would be good to be sure they are ready and waiting before we make our move. Though I'm not sure about splitting our forces, we don't how that many men. Instead I'd dig in the mortar protected by the rest of our team behind whatever defences we can provide (maybe satchel charges on approach to our position to be activated with spells). Then wait for the go signal from our scout in the fort, blast the wights and immediately retarget the mortar on the mages. While they are charging our defences the dwarfs sally out and we catch them all between us.

But still, going with G for now.
    G > Biii > Bii

^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  5. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm G
    Is it possible to change retrieve item to send massage to dwarfs or use suggestion or fake memory to make them know we are here?

^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It is the sort of thing you could try and research with a full library and team of mages but on your own and in the next day or so I am afraid not.

That could work but you would have to get close enough to get a clear line of sight on the dwarf in question. You would then have to maintain the connection long enough for the dwarf to act on the information you have given him/her. Finally the other dwarves would have to believe your target. They might just dismiss him as delusional or drunk instead of taking him seriously. They also have no way to know that it is not the necromancers trying to lure them out with a spell. So it is possible but it would probably be more difficult than letting Bari slip through the enemy lines.

As you can see these sorts of practical communication spells would give one side a massive advantage in warfare but they simply do not exist at the moment. You would have to break new ground to create them and that will take time and resources. Of course if you manage to pull it off then you will also be the only Circle in the setting that has reliable long distance communication spells. That will provide you with a lot of advantages and opportunities.

Current Tally:
    Baltika9 Bii
    Kz3r0 F
    Grimgravy Biii
    Smashing Axe F>Biii>A>Bi>Bii
    Gondolin G
    Zero Credibility G>Biii>Bii
    Kipeci Bii
    Jester G
    Cassidy Bii
    Nevill Bii
    GreyViper Bi

A)
    B)
    i. 1 vote
    ii. 4 votes
    iii. 1 vote
    C)
    D)
    E)
    F) 2 votes
    G) 3 votes

Post Flop:
    A)
    B)
    i. 1 vote
    ii. 6 votes
    iii. 1 vote
    C)
    D)
    E)
    F) 1 vote
    G) 2 votes

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    ^ Top  
  7. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Of course not. They might be reluctant or too few/tired/wounded to sally. But, since we're going to attack anyway, we might as well try to get their cooperation. If we get it, so much the better.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I guess I'll add a vote for G.

The soulless and the necromancers are really the only ones I am worried about here. I guess we can't expect to draw the attention of these numbers and remain unscratched. Since it is between Bii and G, I'd rather increase the chances of having the garrison support me. They might think we are the vanguard of the army that came to reinforce them.

Flopped to Bii.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    ^ Top  
  9. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    The garrison doesn't even have to do much. If they can distract some enemies and make the necromancers split their forces for a while, it's all good.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    You're relying too much on the competence of the scout. It's too easy for the listed plan to come crumbling down on its head to one hiccup. I don't think G is a good idea at all. At least if we keep the mortar stationary we set up an effective killzone to keep the inevitable retaliatory strike at bay. With all this moving about in G I doubt we'd get the chance.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I don't really care for the location of the mortar. I care more for the part where we urge the garrison to strike at the undead.

^ Top  
  12. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Smashing Axe Our scouts seem to be pretty good. If the garrison sallied, good. If not, we're in now way worse off.

True, but undead are kind of slow. If the mortar team can keep ahead of them, the move will add to the enemy's confusion. I doubt that necromancers excel at tactics. Chasing what appears to be a lone mortar team only to run into a bigger one should at least confuse and unnerve them.

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Unless we're sending Bari, I really, really doubt anyone is going to infiltrate the fort, suffice to send word to the garrison. Honestly, it sounds like a suicide mission. Even if it's Bari, it'll be extremely difficult, barring some hidden entrance that wasn't mentioned in the update.

Sending the scout into the enemy camp is crazy. There's no way for them to infiltrate, and no where to really hide with so many eyes. And then how exactly is he going to reach the fort and get inside?

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Like that:
    [​IMG]

If one dwarf can do it, so can the other.

^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    That pathfinder generally dies when he opens the bridge. ;)

Again, I just don't see the plan working. We have no information that suggests reaching the fortress is possible.

It's likely the garrison will move out anyway once they see the wight explosion, and the dispersal of the enemy ranks towards our position.

Also, in regards to the enemy being slow to maneuver. I'm pretty sure they have ghols, which are incredibly fast and quick to respond. Repositioning the mortar is going to be tricky with that pursuit.

^ Top  
  16. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    He doesn't have to infiltrate the fort, only to attract the garrison's attention. The blast will bring the defenders to the walls anyway. I'm thinking the sight of a dwarf motioning for them to sally would be... intriguing enough. As I said, if they don't sally we haven't lost much. Maybe our infiltrator can pull off a diversion and hinder the enemy's response.

Myeah, the ghols are a problem.

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Bari does not have one of the twelve Tarnkappe with him so it would be a bit different (he can't go invisible for example) but he only has to make it to the fort and hope they let him in so it is also a bit easier than the Into the Breach mission.

From what Bari reports they do not have any ghôls unless they are hiding them. They would not be of much use in a siege given how lightly armed they usually are and it seems that the necromancers have not figured out they could use the ghôls to hurl wight parts at the walls...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Throwing wight parts at the walls is usually useless. They should not pack nearly as much of a punch as an explosion of a whole wight, not enough to destroy the wall... or am I remembering the games wrong?

Fangshi, is relocating the mortar a necessary part of the plan that would affect its execution? The only thing I need is to remove wights and a large chunk of undead forces and for Bari to motion the garrison to move out. They should listen to the dwarf, especially given Bari's high standing.

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    No you are remembering right. In the games the parts would not bring down a wall (they are not Talthams after all). What they would do is run sacks of wight parts to the wall, once they have ten or so sacks in one place they would send in a "volunteer" to detonate them and take down the wall. It would work better than trying to get a very slow wight up against the wall but these necromancers do not seem to be aware that it is a possibility. Either they lack the assets to pull it off or they lack the creativity to think of it. You don't know which.

It is a part of the plan that was suggested. If you want the same option without relocating the mortar I have no problem with that, it could be option H if there is demand.

^ Top  
  20. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Bi

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    To hell with it, then.

Bii. The garrison wasn't born yesterday.

Since we are not talking game engine limitations - what prevents them from picking up and transporting the whole wight? With a pair of ghouls and/or myrmidons it should be possible, and they should be fast enough.

^ Top  
  22. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm actually we just need to bait enemy into fortress firing range. Some kind of portable warding runes or changing it into aoe continuous or timed spell could work to.

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    No one has seen a myrmidon is sixty years. The most popular theory currently circulating is that they all perished when Balor fell. He gave them their immortality and when he fell the spells keeping them alive may have unraveled.

As for the ghôls, they may not have any or they may not be very tactically minded, not all mages make for good generals after all.

^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright Bii wins, update in 12-14 hrs.

^ Top  
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Interesting to see if we lose some more people now..

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.