Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 4: Few Against Many

    "This... this is a bit insane Derryth..." Thaïs' reaction mirrors that of the rest of your group.

    "It is doable though," you have spent the last ten minutes trying to convince them to take on a enemy that outnumbers them almost fifty to one but you are certain that this will work.

    You look each of them in the eyes, attempting to gauge how open they are to your plans. Thaïs is worried but trusts you enough to follow your lead. The girls, meanwhile are excited at the prospect of another victory. Of course at this point the two of them would follow you into hell itself so you will have to be careful with them.

    The dwarves seem sceptical though and may need some convincing. Thankfully Bari takes up your cause, he begins persuading them. He starts in clear and commanding Bruig, "Right boys, time to earn your pay. You heard the boss, let's start setting up-"

    Trakk shakes his head and responds in dwarven, "We aren't getting paid nearly enough to fight an army Bari, we-"

    Bari switches to dwarven as well, probably to spare the girls, "Fuck off with your pay, Trakk. I never figured you for a coward-"

    "Now that ain't fair Bari! What she is asking us to do-"

    "She is askin' you to do your damn job!" he turns to the other three dwarves for support, "Boys, I know each of you. I have fought with you, bled with you and I know for a fact that those necromancers don't have shit on you. Telling, I once saw you mulch thirty ghôl with a single shell! Felling! Gilling! How many thrall have you put back under the ground? Fifty? One hundred? Two hundred? And Trakk, in all my years I have never met a more determined and skilled warrior!"

    Trakk lets out a single dismissive laugh, "You are so full of shit Bari... but lets say you are right and my boys can account for a couple hundred thralls. That is less than half, what will we do about the rest?"

    Bari grins at the man, "Well Trakk, that is what you have me for! Now we are going to march over there and fuck those necromancers so hard that the Watcher will feel it in his grave!"

    Telling, Gilling, and Felling nod enthusiastically. Trakk considers his options and crosses his arms, "Triple."

    The Pathfinder cocks his head, "Double."

    "Triple Bari, we will do this but we get paid triple. This is not open to negotiation," Trakk extends his hand, "And I want it up front."

    Bari grunts once and rifles through his pack for a stack of papers. He peels off six papers and stuffs them into Trakks' hand. "Pleasure doing business with you Bari," the mercenary gives your group a wide smile, "Alright boys lets get ready, if we are going to do this I want it done right."

    -----------------------------------------------------

    It takes the better part of an hour to secure your position, trap the most likely avenues of approach and set up fall back positions. This will be a long fight.

    When all is prepared you give the order.

    The familiar crack of the mortar is followed by a large explosion. A direct hit on the wight pen sets off dozens of smaller explosions and devastates the enemy camp. Dirt, stones, and chunks of wight blast the enemy forces. By your estimates a fifth of the enemy fell to this first attack but that still leaves hundreds of hostiles. The majority are now headed to your position...

    Following the first strike six necromancers pour out of the command tent. As quickly as possible Telling adjusts the mortar and fires again. This time at the command tent. Three of the necromancers and the tent itself are obliterated by the blast. Good, not great but good enough. You can tell that the three surviving necromancers are having trouble controlling the remaining undead. One stops and attempts to assert control while the other two scatter as Telling reloads and fires again. The stationary necromancer disappears as the mortar shell tears him apart. Four down, two to go... this is going well all things considered.

    Your time is up however as the mass of thralls, ghasts, and soulless move to assault your position. Bari hollers to you, "Derryth, focus on the soulless! They can outrange us and if they get too close-" the dwarf is cut short as the javelin of a soulless arches over his head taking his cap clean off. He swears and dives behind cover, popping out every twenty seconds with a new cocktail.

    You focus on his attacker as the undead continue their steady advance. The creature in question if a soulless, the upper torso of a skeleton given new life and the gift of levitation by some misguided necromancer. You once read that the soulless that served in the armies of the Fallen Lords could conjure javelins from a magical sack on their backs. These soulless however have no such advantage. Each carries a bundle of ten javelins on their backs. Far less impressive but enough to get the job done regardless.

    You focus on your target, you think of the rage you felt when Tyrvard fell. Your helplessness and your desire to hurt someone... you extend your staff as a ribbon of crimson flame bursts forth and strikes the hollowman. The flame crackles and pops as it consumes the creature, devouring the enchantments that maintain its twisted existence. The flames burn green for a moment as the creature collapses in a pile.

    Satisfied with your performance you begin searching for another target when you hear a dull buzzing at the back of your mind. Something is wrong... some part of you knows on an instinctive level that Thaïs needs help.

    A single image forces its way into your mind. She stands behind you and a little to the left, she does not see, she does not notice the thrall that has slipped up behind her. It is about to raise its axe.

    You spin on your heel and lash out without thinking, the nervous energy you release takes on the form of a cobalt bolt of energy which snakes over Thaïs' shoulder and strikes the thrall full on in the head. The electric discharge proceeds to melt the monster's head and shoulders. It tips backwards and collapses. The two of you stand in shock, you have just saved her life. The image was correct but you have no idea how you knew she needed help.

    It is an important question that you will need resolved but at the moment it is all you can do to avoid being overrun. That thrall was not alone. One of the surviving necromancers, in command of thirty thralls has cut off your retreat and is advancing into your rear. The rest of your allies are pinned down fighting off the bulk of the horde so it falls to the two of you to deal with this new threat. You take a deep breath and begin casting.

    The next five minutes are the most terrifying of your life.

    You should be dead.

    By all rights those thirty thrall should have killed you both but you are both alive. Every time Thaïs was in danger you felt that buzzing again and you acted. You saved her. You are also almost certain that she can hear the buzzing as well. Eight times you were within a moment of death and eight times at the last second she killed your attacker with her spells or crossbow.

    You should be dead but you are not.

    You are both alive and you can tell that the necromancer is just as surprised by this turn of events as you are. You give him a vicious smile as the two of you unload on him. He is no battle mage, all he can muster in retaliation are a few magical zaps that sting but do little permanent damage. The two of you are operating under no such limitations. Your firebolt shears off his right arm as Thaïs' energy bolt cuts through his left leg. Burnt orange flames and writhing, azure tendrils mingle forming a purple mist that envelopes your opponent. The spells attempt to consume one another and with a sickening pop the necromancer explodes coating the ground in gore. You give one another a slight nod as you turn your attentions back to the main body of the horde.

    You are making progress but not quickly enough. Even disorganized there are simply too many of them for you. You scan the battlefield and focus on the keep's gate, if only the garrison would attack...

    A minute passes... then five... slowly your group is being pushed back. Most of your allies sport a variety of minor injuries though you and Thaïs remain largely unharmed do to your odd connection. You are out of energon cubes, cocktails, and mortar shells. You are almost out of mandrake roots and a quarter of your enemy remains standing. The final necromancer has proven cagey. Having witnessed the deaths of all of his peers he refuses to get too close to your position. This presents a problem. He is no commander thankfully. He is simply throwing his forces at you. However with the advantage in numbers he has his simple strategy may just grant him victory.

    As your enemy's numbers thin he is gaining greater control over them, they are getting smarter and more disciplined and to top it off he has kept ten soulless in reserve. He is bleeding you dry. Once you lack the ability to strike back he will send in the soulless to pick you off at range and there is nothing you can do about it.

    Another five minutes. Uttu is out of arrows now, Thaïs is spent and out of crossbow bolts, you close your eyes and fire off your last spell. A weak firebolt that barely manages to drop a thrall as you stagger backwards. Telling can't stand though you have stabilized him, Felling and Gilling each wield a thrall's axe while Bari with nothing left to lose is swinging the maul like a man possessed.

    This is not a fight you can win...

    Thankfully you do not have to.

    A single horn sounds out from the fort as the gates open. Fifty dwarves, some in plate, some with cocktails pour forth and into the enemy's rear. The undead outnumber them less than two to one now, excellent odds for the dwarves. They devastate your enemies, they slaughter the thralls, butcher the ghasts, annihilate the soulless, and murder the last necromancer. Your group manages to hold out just long enough for a team of twenty dwarves to reach your location. Your group lets out a cheer as the dwarves reach you while Bari ducks behind a large rock while he wraps the maul in cloth and secures it within his pack.

    Their leader steps forward and examines your group. He is a large dwarf, with a well trimmed brown beard, "Only eight of you? How many people did you lose?"

    You pant slightly, still attempting to catch your breath, "None."

    He whistles, "There were hundreds out here and you are telling me you lost no one? I must admit that is difficult to believe. Four humans and four dwarves-"

    "Five dwarves!" Bari shouts as he rounds the corner.

    "Bari?" the dwarven leader stands, his mouth agape.

    "Ori? Well how are you boy!" the Pathfinder strides up, mindful of the corpses under foot and gives the dwarven leader a large hug.

    "Bari, it is great to see you! Come, we can talk inside!" Ori leads your group across the battlefield. Some of you walk, most of you have to be carried. Here and there the dwarves make their rounds dispatching the remaining thralls and securing the area. As you walk by, a large crow follows your progress from on top of a handcart. As soon as it notices your gaze upon it, it takes wing and flees to the east calling out to its companions. Eleven crows join it and as a group they head into the east.

    Your group passes through the gates into the fort and is met with a gruesome sight. Five dead dwarves, their bodies scattered around the entrance to the fort.

    Bari stops, he stands for a moment in silence, then he speaks, "Ori, what happened here?"

    Ori does not break stride, "Cowards and traitors Bari but I do not want to talk about it here. Come up to the captain's office."

    ----------------------------------------------

    The four of you stand in the former captain's office.

    Ori snatches up a metal bar and pries open the captain's liquor cabinet, "Anyone want a drink?"

    Bari, for once in his life refuses. You and Thaïs follow his lead. Ori sighs and drops into the captain's chair, "Well then I guess I am drinking alone," pulling out his knife he sets to work opening one of the bottles.

    The four of you sit in silence. Finally Bari has had enough, "Ori what happened here?"

    Ori responds without looking up, "That coward of a captain was willing to just sit in here while a battle was raging outside. We had a disagreement... I discharged my duty and dealt with traitors to the kingdom... not something I am proud of but necessary all the same."

    Bari squints, "Fair enough, if the dwarf was a coward then he deserved what he got. But what are you doing out at a border fort Ori? Last I heard you were stationed outside Stoneheim."

    With a little effort Ori gets the bottle open, "I am on a mission Bari. I am no longer part of the army. I have been promoted if you catch my drift."

    Bari grins, "Welcome to the Pathfinders my boy! I think we will have that drink after all! Derryth, Thaïs come closer!"

    Ori frowns, "Bari, you should not mention the... the organization with outsiders present," he gestures at the two of you.

    Bari merely scoffs, "These are not outsiders Ori. I am on a mission as well and if not for these ladies and their friends I would not be here."

    Ori is uncertain, he scrutinizes you both then shrugs, "Alright Bari if you say so."

    Bari, keen to see an old friend and fellow Pathfinder begins to interrogate the younger dwarf, "So what was your mission?"

    Ori hesitates, "Prisoner escort."

    Bari shakes his head, "Come on boy! Give me more than that."

    Ori's eyes narrow, "You first. Tell me what you were doing. I know you left last year with Ari and Lord Jori on government business. Well I am a Pathfinder now so out with it."

    Bari considers the request, "You have clearance level six?"

    Ori gives him a confused look, "Clearance only goes one to five, Bari."

    The older dwarf grins at his friend, "Ori you have a lot to learn yet," Ori looks crushed, "Sorry boy what I am doing is for the king himself. But tell you what, you tell me what you are working on and maybe I can help."

    Ori caves, it is clear he wants Bari's advice, "Alright, alright Bari. So two weeks ago one of our patrols caught a mage, we think she might be a necromancer but as we have no proof we can not just kill her."

    "I would," Bari grunts, "Better one dead innocent than one living necromancer."

    Ori rolls his eyes, "Alright, I can not just kill her. I am taking her back to the capital for investigation. I think the necromancers that attacked us were her allies but she will not own up to it."

    Bari grins, "I could make her talk..." then he gestures to you, "Or if you do not want her bruised up then Derryth could-"

    "No Bari," Ori cuts his friend off, "This is my mission and I am going to do this by the book."

    Bari sighs turning to you, "Don't you just love the boy's principles? Not only does he want to do right but he wants to do things right. Alright Ori, I can respect that but why go through all this trouble? One mage hardly requires the attention of the Pathfinders right?"

    "Yes, the mage may be important but the reason I am out here is due to the artefact we found on her," Ori pulls out a small black bag and shakes it, "I have a theory about it but I will need to take it to the capital to get it properly analyzed."

    You step closer, "If you want Ori. Thaïs and I could take a look at it. As mages we might be able to give you additional insights into its nature."

    He shrugs and dumps the contents out on the table.

    A single tiny shard of stone rolls onto the center of the table.

    As soon as you see it both you and Thaïs shiver. The aura radiating from that little piece of stone is absolutely smothering. It is evil, not a word you usually throw around but a fitting one here and now. You can also detect more behind the malice radiating from the object. There is sentience here, this stone is aware of you now, it turns its attention to the two of you, it is calling to you.

    The dwarves continue to leisurely discuss the rock but you are paralyzed by it. You catch Thaïs staring at it out of the corner of your eye transfixed as well. As dangerous as it is you probe this consciousness.

    It is vast and it is dark but you are not alone, Thaïs sits across from you. You believe it may actually be her and not an illusion.

    The two of you attempt to tease out information about this thing. You ride the currents of its thoughts backward and as you do you feel like a very tiny boat cast adrift upon an endless sea. The sky is pitch black, as is the water; there are no stars, no moon. All is darkness. You begin to steal small bits of the sea, handfuls of water in the dark. You cup your hands and stare as scenes play out before you.


    You are in a drowned city. You will find it. You must find it. You have found it!

    You watch from a hill as your enemy falls. Wave after wave of thralls pour into him. Weakening him. Finally you move for the kill.

    You are trapped. Furious at your rival. You stand in the dark of your cave. You plot, you rage, eventually you begin to chew at your own imprisoned arm. Your pain motivates you.

    You stand at the head of your host. You will stop the young archmage here. He will challenge you. He must challenge you. It is how things are done. Yet he does not. Humans, mortals, charge you. You dispatch them as easily as swatting a fly. You crow your victory to the uncaring sky. You do not see the arrow until it is too late.

    You stand frozen by treachery. Large men charge towards you. Your servants fail you. They begin hacking at you. You vow... you vow vengeance... you will return... you will kill them all!

    You are scattered. Some small part of you is in the possession of a dwarf. He has dumped you on a table. You sense two minds. Alike but different, curious magics at work between them. You sense a third mind as well... hidden... old for most, through for you young... you know her but she will not speak to you... she rejects you... she will suffer as well. You turn your attention back to the younger minds. You promise them power, wealth, everything you can think of. You tell them to travel east... something is wrong... they are stealing from you... you roar...


    The scream of the thing drives you back into your own mind. Your head snaps back and you stagger. Moving in union, Thaïs does as well. You lean on one another for support, and the warmth of human contact does you both a world of good after the cold of that alien mind.

    It takes you a moment to fight off its influence and gather your senses, "Ori. Could you please put that stone back in its bag..."

    The two dwarves look at you, then at Thaïs. Ori snatches it up and shoves it back into his pouch. It seems to help a little though you can still feel the presence pulling at you.

    "Well ladies what did you find?" you can see that Bari is impatient to hear your findings, concerned for your safety certainly, but also impatient.

    You turn to Thaïs and nod. There is only one being that could be lurking behind that stone. The same two words are on both your tongues, "The Watcher."

    ---------------------------------------------

    You travel as a group to the capital. With so many dwarves together you are not seriously threatened by the enemy though you are attacked at least once a day and crows follow you constantly.

    When you arrive at the capital it is everything Bari claimed and more. The city is unique in the world. Broad, clean streets filled with shops, bars and banks. Hundreds of dwarves and the odd human mingle about in the streets. Bari directs you to the best inn in town and gives you a blank promissory note to draw as much funds as you think you will need for your stay courtesy of the house of Albrecht.

    "Well Derryth, I need to be off to turn in my report and return our prize," the Pathfinder gives you a bow.

    You raise an eyebrow at this, "You aren't trying to abandon us are you Bari? I thought we would come with you?"

    The Pathfinder shakes his head, "A bunch of humans entering the palace uninvited would raise too many questions. I need to give my report to the king, then we can arrange for some pretence for you to gain admittance. Personally my money is on your victory over the necromancers. 'Eight against Eight Hundred!' and all that."

    You grin, "One there were nine of us and two there were not eight hundred undead."

    The dwarf laughs, "Derryth, I am a ghost. I am never anywhere and as for the undead well they are not going to argue the numbers with us. Whether you like it or not you are a 'real hero'," he gives you a wink, "You all are, for so many things. Don't worry Derryth, you are my friend and I always do right by my friends. Now I will be back in a couple days and we can set up a proper meeting."

    With that Bari rejoins the rest of the dwarves on the road for the palace. Trakk approaches you as they leave, "Well Derryth, you have made me far richer than I could have imagined. Turns out we are heroes as well. I am a dwarf of my word though. You paid for protection and the trip both ways so if you need me or my men for anything at all feel free to ask. We will either be here at the inn or down at the Ghôl's Head, two streets over," the mercenary captain gives you a low bow and marches off in the direction of the pub.


    1. You have a day or two until Bari returns. How do you want to spend it? (pick two)

    A) Thaïs had mentioned an inventor client when you first met her. Supposedly this client is quite skilled and was last seen around Myrgard. You could look for her if you want.

    B) The magical academy at Myrgard is renowned for the skill of its artificers. You need to better understand what these bracelets do and you want a way to remove them if necessary.

    C) You are interested in the academy but not in the bracelets. Instead you see if you can learn or purchase any new spells in the few days that you have.

    D) Bari said to understand the city one should start with the banks and the bars. You choose the banks. There may be opportunities for profit here.

    E) Bari said to understand the city one should start with the banks and the bars. You choose the bars. There may be opportunities to learn the latest gossip or make connections here.

    F) Shopping. The city sports a number of shops in every shape and size. You spend a day looking around and spending money. You might find something you have always wanted and at the very least it would give you a chance to relax.

    G) You spend your time investigating the necromancers, the crows and any connection they might have to The Watcher. If what you experienced is true then this is bad for everyone.

    H) You are interested in the academy but not in the bracelets. Instead you see if you can learn of or purchase a power source capable of holding open a gate to your tower.

    I) Do something else. Freeform


    2. How much money (if any) do you withdraw with the promissary note. (This may impact how the king and the dwarves in general behave around you.)

    A) None. You have money of your own.

    B) A pittance (approximately 10 wealth points worth.)

    C) A Little (approximately 50 wealth points worth.)

    D) A respectable amount (approximately 100 wealth points worth.)

    E) A fortune (approximately 500 wealth points worth.)

    F) Everything! (approximately 1000 wealth points worth.)



    Also (open)
    Your group rolled very well here, sometimes you get lucky. There was a good chance you could have lost most of your group.
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,956
    Location:
    Vicksburg
    1BC 2A

    I was thinking at least one person would kick the bucket, wow. Did we just get really lucky rolls or something?
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Rolls for the battle (open)
    Bari, Telling, Biliku, and Felling all probably should have died. Gilling and Trakk as well if some of the others died. Thaïs would have died guaranteed if not for the bracelet (she would not have even had a chance to roll, the thrall had her cold). So yeah, you rolled amazingly. This could easily have been a near TPK. Also if Ori had not won his fight in the fort you would not have received reinforcements and you probably would have lost people despite rolling so well. This really was completely insane... on the bright side you are now a bit of a legend...
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,956
    Location:
    Vicksburg
    Yikes. I guess all the luck stolen from Xu Jing must have leeched over here for this fight or something, that's impressive.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,880
    Ok, that was more than a bit reckless. We should have at least made contact with the defenders before we attacked like that. Would taking out the command tent first be better?

    Anyway, is there an option that would let us search for a power source for the gate spell? Would the inventor or someone in the academy know of something like that? I would like to set up a permanent gate to our hidden base when (if) we return.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Yeah without leadership you could have simply led them around in circles. You would have to worry about the soulless (since they have better range than the dwarves) but other than that it was a better choice. Though you would still run out of ammo before you ran out of enemies.

    Sure I will add it as an option.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Uhh, yeah. Okay. As good as our victory here was, let's not try to take any more of these risks in future if we can avoid it. It's nice to have this victory, but I really don't want a tpk.

    CD
    There is a lot of opportunity for profit if we can get an understanding of banking and introduce it to human lands. Financial power will lead to magical power,; once we become extraordinarily rich with fractional reserve banking, we can buy all the artifacts we want. There's currently no competition as well, as the concept doesn't seem to have spread to human lands much. C sounds good as well, more spells, more power.

    D>C>B - It'd be rude not to draw out some, we're given the money for a reason. The king won't be offended with this amount, if we draw out nothing he'd be indifferent, and, worse case, offended.
    (You have B listed twice, I'm going to assume the third option is C)

    I'm assuming the "respectable" amount means what we think would be expected of us to withdraw, Fangshi?
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Yes, it is what Derryth believes will be acceptable to them. Can't be certain of course but it is what she feels is a happy medium.

    Yeah, updated the lettering.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    As for finding a power source, I don't think it's yet worth investigating. Whatever is capable of powering an open gate is going to be an artifact in and of itself and an adventure to obtain it, and we've got a LOT of powerful artifacts already on our list needing investigating. I think it's a thing for later.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,880
    So, we learned two things. Geek the mage first is a good idea, and mortars end a fight before it even starts. Could we look into hiring some (preferably many) mortar dwarfs for our mercenary band on a more permanent basis? Or are they restricted / too expensive? Having your own artillery support sounds awesome.
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    ^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I imagine also that the wights would have still been in the pens by the time our second mortar was ready to fire.

    As for mortar support. Maybe there's a spell in the dwarven academy that replicates the effect we could learn?
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,880
    Maybe, but maybe they do have something that that we can buy. Even one would be enough for me right now, having to walk to our secret base pass all the patrols and the monsters is huge pain in the ass, and if we want to open a gate to there it takes our whole team of mages. It would be much easier if we can just create a (semi)permanent solution to connect our under and above ground centres of operation.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    They are expensive but if you want to retain a couple on hand it may be doable. For example you had to pay out about seven points for the dwarves (four of those points went to the mortar) so one mortar is more expensive than a company of soldiers.

    It is also important to remember however that in each case where you successfully used them the mages did not see it coming. No self-respecting archmage is going to fall to a little mortar fire.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    Well. The Watcher is a Gieloth, isn't he? :lol:
    As for the votes:
    BE- learn more about the bracelets and put our drinking skills to good use to learn more about the town and ingratiate ourselves with the populace.
    D- enough to last, but not be a dick about it.
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    ^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Also, I just don't see this thing being easy to obtain. If the dwarves had it, or it was in easy reach, they'd be using it. Either it's replicatable , in which case we'd have seen it somewhere, or it's not, and the dwarves wouldn't part with it for anything less than their lives. That or it's incredibly dangerous to use, in which case we should stay well clear of it.

    As for gates solving our travel problems, if we haven't been to a location before I think there's a greater risk of opening a gate to something far beyond. Even then, there seems to be a lot of risk involved with this spell, that I'm skeptical of it safely working in the long-term.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    We have studied dwarven diplomacy, so we know at least what would be expected of us in this situation.

    B is a pittance. Would in not be insulting? I think you meant D.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    Alright, fine, D. If this blows up in our face, I'm blaming you and Smashing Axe.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,880
    Well, we don't really know how easy or difficult a power source would be to obtain. That's why I propose at least asking around for one. And I'm not proposing to open a gate to somewhere we haven't been before, just to our underground base for now. If this works out then we can maybe look into commercialising this by connecting those cities we have been to into a permanent network.

    Ok, voting:

    1 A - because an inventor in the dwarven city sounds interesting and could lead to anywhere - better weapons, better explosives maybe. Also, a client of Thais? Look for her? More members of our lesbian witches mercenary band?
    1 H - because I want to make our gate spell more useful.

    2 C > A - well, we don't want to offend anyone though I'm not sure how much they would be offended by us not spending their money. And even 50 points is a lot of money from what we've seen.

    Anyway, we should also look into hiring some mortar dwarfs before leaving this place. But that can wait until after the meeting I hope.
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    ^ Top  
  19. asxetos Augur

    asxetos
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Messages:
    807
    Location:
    Greece
    1 B, A>C>F
    2 A


    1. We should learn more about the bracelets for sure. Also i would love to visit the inventor and get the crossbow recipe because it would be OP for our mercenary company. Alternatively, pick up some new spells or items.
    2. I dont think we need to withdraw any money.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,625
    1. You have a day or two until Bari returns. How do you want to spend it? (pick two)

    B) The magical academy at Myrgard is renowned for the skill of its artificers. You need to better understand what these bracelets do and you want a way to remove them if necessary.

    G) You spend your time investigating the necromancers, the crows and any connection they might have to The Watcher. If what you experienced is true then this is bad for everyone.



    2. How much money (if any) do you withdraw with the promissary note. (This may impact how the king and the dwarves in general behave around you.)

    D) A respectable amount (approximately 100 wealth points worth.)
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,192
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    AF
    D
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Come on guys, with D1 we have the potential to become this world's equivalent of the Rothschilds! Global economic power could be at our fingertips!
    Show Spoiler
    :keepmyjewgold:
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,625
    :flamesaw:
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    Friendship is magic, and bankers have no friends.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    1)AD>AB
    2)C
    Fangshi if we get Thais friend with A, can we ask her to go academy to get power source or spell books?
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.