Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,501
    D'awww.
    :love:
    I don't know wether to feel joy or pity for our Serpent.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,270
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Note: never accept a drink from Christine.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,501
    Heh, gotta wonder what would have happened if Tyrvard were there.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The empire just doesn't get a break, huh? There are plots to overrun it from the east, from the north, and from below. I wonder what would have awaited us in the west.

    Damn, Christine gets to be a queen, and we are still a farmer. That's unfair!
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,501
    Brofist the interlude, bros. I have it on good authority that more brofists=more interludes.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    So now we need to seduce the dwarf king?
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Yeah we are leader of circle those queen and king is part of. You are important if royalty have to ask you permission to do things, actual power is better over titles. Although there is nice ring to king title.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    On an unrelated note. Can we agree to 3C as our vote for the workshop? Buying the deed sounds like a good compromise between sticking our nose where the mercenaries will be looking first and ignoring the place altogether.

    I'll flop to 3C>B.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,270
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Alright, add a > C to my vote for 3.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Current Tally:

    asxetos 1B 2F 3A
    Kz3r0 1A 2A 3B
    Nevill 1A 2F 3C>B
    Jester 1B 2E 3B
    Azira 1B 2B>C>D>E 3A
    Cassidy 1A 2E 3B
    Baltika9 1A 2D 3A
    Zero Credibility 1B 2G>C 3A
    GreyViper 1A 2G 3C
    Grimgravy 1A 2G 3A>C
    Smashing Axe 1A 2G>E 3B>C

    Pre-flop:

    1.
    A) 7 votes
    B) 4 votes

    2.
    A) 1 vote
    B) 1 vote
    C)
    D) 1 vote
    E) 2 votes
    F) 2 votes
    G) 4 vote

    3.
    A) 5 votes
    B) 4 votes
    C) 2 vote

    Post Flop:

    1.
    A) 7 votes
    B) 4 votes

    2.
    A) 1 vote
    B)
    C)
    D) 1 vote
    E) 3 votes
    F) 2 votes
    G) 4 votes

    3.
    A) 5 votes
    B) 5 votes

    C) 1 vote

    Still tied unfortunately. I have no problem waiting for the tie to resolve itself though if there is no movement within 72 hrs I will just flip a coin and that is what we will go with.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    if you will have time for update Fangshi consider my vote flooped to 3A.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Alright polls closed then. You will all go together to loot the workshop and then you will try and find Trakk if you survive. I should have the update ready in 12 hrs or so.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,412
    Why people thought that looting the workshop was such a great idea?
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Half people didnt, still look at the bright side. We got update 12 h instead of 72.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    btw could we make rule that if tie is unresolved for 48 h you will flip coin?
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 8: Anatomy of an Ambush

    "What the hell did you do!" Trakk is not particularly pleased that you dragged him into this.

    You attempt to reason with the dwarf, "Just calm down and hear me out-"

    It does not work.

    "Like hell I will! One quarter of the city is on fire! Hundreds of dwarfs are dead! So I repeat myself what the hell did you do!" Trakk paces up and down in the tiny room.

    "Look, Trakk, just sit down and we will explain what happened-" as painful as it is your mind reaches back to the events of last night.

    --------------------------------------------------

    Meletē feeds you bits and pieces of information. The noble family she 'wronged' is old, ancient in fact, with the sort of money and resources that befit their station. If she has to guess she would say that they are the wealthiest or second wealthiest family in the entire empire at this point.

    She speaks quickly as you slip through the side streets but one thing she says really catches your attention...

    "It is a Wyrd damned shame that I have to abandon all of my inventions, my machines, my weapons... why just the other day I think I discovered the secret of flight. True 'mechanomagical' flight, we could sail above the world in ships of wood and metal. Great tubes, filled with people," part of you wonders if perhaps the wine has gone to her head. Flying machines, are such things truly possible?

    What she says next seems far more plausible and practical, "Oh, and my new rifles... all gone..." she sniffles a little at the thought.

    Thaïs prods her a little, "What is a rifle?"

    She stops dead, "Why only one of my most prized inventions! Think of it as a portable, hand held cannon and you would not be too far off. I offered a whole shipment to the King but he refused. He said that such things would make war 'too terrible'. Emperor Alric however showed interest... well at least until that idiot nobleman managed to blow himself up. Now no one wants them! But I kept working on them! One day I will show them! I will show them all!"

    She emits a high pitched cackle which the two of you quickly silence. You don't need to draw any attention tonight.

    All this talk of her workshop gives you an idea though, "Do you two think we have time to swing by the warehouse and grab Meletē's inventions before the Black Arrows hit the streets?"

    In hindsight this was a very bad idea. At the very least you should probably have avoided bringing Meletē back to her home now that her cover had been blown but such is the beauty of hindsight. At the time it seemed doable.

    Your two companions look at one another then nod. The three of you will make a slight detour and gather up Meletē's things before you go to look for Trakk.

    That is not to say that you just walked right in to the workshop. You did try to take some precautions. You created a quick disguise for Meletē and the three of you slipped in through the rear door, easily accomplished as Meletē knew where to find the spare key.

    You secure the shutters and cast a basic light spell to illuminate the room.

    You survey the workshop, it is a mess. Gears, odd pieces of wood, fabric and metal, magical texts and engineering manuals litter the room. Weapons, tools, machines in a staggering variety of shapes and sizes, all sit in various stages of completion. You marvel at the controlled chaos of the place and the ease with which Meletē navigates the heaps of trash to find the gems she is searching for.

    She snatches up a set of three thin leather notebooks, loose pages jammed into each at odd angles. She holds them up for you both to see, "These are my life's work. Everything else in here could burn up but these... these are irreplaceable."

    You eye a stack of weapons in the corner, odd metal tubes with wooden stocks, "Are those the rifles?"

    She gives a proud nod, "Those are my babies, and the barrels next to them contain enough black powder to take out a small fort!"

    Thaïs gives her friend a concerned glance, "Is that... safe?"

    Meletē grins at you both, "Nope."

    You have only been in the workshop for maybe ten minutes but already you are feeling nervous. You wave your two compatriots over, as they reach you, you begin to speak "Well, lets grab what we can and get out of here before-"

    With a loud crack the front door gives in and three figures force their way into the room, the central figure is definitely a mage. He carries a crooked staff and the robes to prove it. His colours are those of the Warlocks but they are in a very poor state of repair and the traditional insignias of that circle are missing. He is a thin man and short, a little wiry, he sports an untrimmed beard and a metal skull cap. He is accompanied by a pair of sell swords, big men with dim eyes and cruel smiles. He grins at you, "Before someone finds you? Well too late for that," he turns his attention to Meletē, "You have quite the bounty on your head girl, if you would be so kind as to come with us we will give your friends a quick death. Resist and we will be forced to make it slow. Either way though you will be coming with us so-"

    Before he can finish the back door crashes in, "Like hell she will!"

    Five more bounty hunters pour into the room. They are each dressed in red and white. Three of them carry bows, arrows at the ready, while the remaining two wield axes and heavy shields. Their leader a broad, muscular woman that reminds you of an ox bellows at the mage, "The girl is coming with us, aren't ya girl? Hell if you come over here we won't even kill your friends. Maybe just rough them up a little."

    The expression plastered to her face suggests a certain love of brutality that you find a bit unnerving. You scan the room looking for another escape route. Your eyes settle on a fairly large window on the far side of the house. The three of you would have to run across the room but you might just make it.

    As soon as the idea enters your head though it is dashed to pieces. That whole side of the workshop caves in as six dwarves and a very large maul force their way in. All seven of them are naked and foaming at the mouth. They each carry a pair of swords with a number of addition blades strapped all over their bodies. The lead dwarf steps forward and barks an order in horrendously bad Bruig, "Girl, with us, come!"

    You are in a horrible situation.

    A ridiculous one, but horrible all the same.

    Any one of these groups would give you trouble on their own but together there is no way you could fight them all. Thankfully you are quite adept at utilizing spells to influence others. You whisper to Thaïs, "Think you are up for helping me start a fight?"

    She gives you the slightest hint of a smile, "I do not see what other option we have."

    The three groups are primarily focused on one another. You are all still unarmed and until you start casting they have no reason to believe that you are mages. Unlike the Warlock, or ex-Warlock as the case may be, you have not advertised your vocation. You think it would be best to neutralize him first and those dwarven lunatics would be perfect for the task.

    You start casting, two of the dwarves throw themselves at the Warlock but his sell swords intercept them. He turns to you with a grin, "Well then. Seems you girls are not as helpless as I thought. As fellow mages I will be certain to give you fitting deaths."

    He begins to cast but is distracted when a single arrow fired from the darkness of a nearby rooftop flies through the hole created by the dwarves and strikes one of the red and white mercenaries in the throat.

    That is the final straw.

    All hell breaks loose.

    You quickly extinguish your light spell and plummet the room into darkness. Torches spring to life as the human mercenaries charge. The Warlock launches a full fireball into the clustered red and white mercenaries. They are flung screaming across the room as the flames consumes them, incinerating them. The three of you make for the back door while the lunatic dwarves are preoccupied with the mage. They throw a volley of blades and sharp metal scrap at him but his sell swords protect him from the worst of it with their shields.

    You are the last to run through the back door. As you do, you turn and catch one final glimpse of the battle raging inside. Both sell swords lay dead, as do three of the dwarves. The Warlock is about to destroy the rest when their maul grabs a large metal pipe, easily three meters long and hurls it at the mage. He is impaled upon it, a full meter and a half sticking out of his back but he manages to loose a final fireball that catches Meletē's stockpile of dwarven powder. You dive into the street as the entire structure goes up. Flaming debris is flung into the surrounding buildings which in turn catch fire.

    You slowly rise to your feet, the street is a warzone as dozens of factions are drawn into the battle. Dwarven mercenaries hurl their cocktails with little regard for collateral damage, unaffiliated mages of every kind stalk the night unleashing all manner of horrors. Warriors and sell swords from across the known lands fight and die as the local gangs move in to defend their territory or attempt to expand at the expense of their neighbours.

    The sheer number of enemies in the end works to your advantage. Three unarmed women draw little attention as you race from the scene and the flames begin to spread. Secondary explosions rock the neighbourhood as screams echo into the night. As you slip into a nearby alley though, you swear you see a burning man step out of the ruins of the workshop, part of you worries that the Warlock may have survived as impossible as that might seem.

    You are attacked by the odd mercenary here or there but the ones you can not handle are quickly dropped with an arrow in the throat. Part of you suspects that someone must be looking out for you but you have no idea who or why.

    You make it less than a block before three more mercenaries cut off your escape. Mages dressed in violet and lavender, silver poppies embroidered on their cloaks. They glow slightly. They have power but they underestimate you. You and Thaïs each lash out at a target with assault spells. Two of the mages crumple to the ground, the third however unleashes a lavender mist aimed directly at Thaïs. You see the spell engulf her before it happens, no doubt thanks to the bracelets you share, quickly you grab her and pull. You tumble together out of the way as the cloud flies past her and hits Meletē. She begins to gasp as she collapses to the ground. She can not breathe. The mage curses and casts a second spell aimed at the inventor. The cloud dissipates as her breathing steadies but her eyes remain closed and she does not rise.

    You take the opportunity provided by this distraction to drop the final mage. Even with Thaïs on top of you it is a simple matter to strike out with your mind at your adversary. He is skilled but it is still two on one and eventually you wear him down. The mage falls though it takes a few attacks and Thaïs' help.

    Thaïs lacks the strength to carry her friend so you shoulder the burden. Thaïs straps her to your back as the two of you race off into the night.

    You weave your way through the dark alleys and poorly lit side streets. Cutting a crooked path across the city which you hope shakes any pursuers. After half an hour of fleeing and hiding you believe you have finally escaped.

    You look back across the city one final time.

    The sky is filled with flames.

    You can hear the distant sounds of fighting and dying and you wonder just how many mercenaries are still back there and just how high the bounty on your new 'friend' is to warrant such a response.

    At any rate, you definitely need a place to hide now. There are not that many humans in the city, and even fewer female mages, it is only a matter of time before someone figures out that you are aiding Meletē. If anyone got a good look at you back there things could get quite dangerous for everyone rather quickly and that is without considering the Black Arrows...

    It has been a rough night and it is not over yet. You need to find Trakk and soon.

    --------------------------------------------

    You all made it out...

    But some of you fared better than others...

    Biliku and Uttu sit quietly in a corner while Thaïs stands over Meletē, monitoring her condition. The inventor has yet to regain consciousness. She rests on an old cot, her notebooks still clutched firmly in hand. Whatever that mage hit her with still has not worn off and you have no idea how to dispel it.

    Thankfully you managed to find Trakk and he has hidden you in an abandoned military bunker deep under the city. A pre-war artefact, it gives you a little space and a lot of security. Supplies may be a problem but you are fairly certain the mercs will not find you here. Good thing too as soon every mercenary and bounty hunter in the city will be after you and they do not have to take you alive. There is no bounty for your return, all they care about is Meletē.

    Three swift knocks at the door drag you back into the present. Trakk readies his sword and Telling eases the door open.

    It is Felling, back with your personal effects and news of the outside world. In his usual professional manner he gives his report to Trakk, "Whole city is in an uproar. There are guards on every street corner and most of the bounty hunters have been forced into hiding. The king is taking a zero tolerance approach to all freelancers at the moment so everyone is just watching, waiting for hostilities to recommence."

    Trakk, seeing your personal effects raises an eyebrow, "You got into the inn then?"

    The grenadier nods, "Yes, the innkeeper was quite helpful. I served with his cousin's nephew, good people all around. He helped me slip in and out without anyone noticing but the inn is definitely being watched now. Saw maybe half a dozen bounty hunters and some of those Black Arrow boys as well," he turns to you, "They definitely know you ladies are involved now, only a matter of time before they start interrogating everyone you have had contact with. Which means-"

    Trakk interrupts the grenadier, "Which means, me and my men have to be leaving."

    You plead with the dwarf, "Trakk, I can pay, four or five times your going rate-"

    He just shakes his head, "I am sorry Derryth but they know you are involved. That means they are going to start looking into us as well. If we are missing when they come around... I know some of these people Derryth. They are not above using my family to get to me," he stops for a moment, unsure if he should continue. With a tired sigh he finishes his thought, "I will be honest with you since you have always been straight with me. If it is a choice between you or my granddaughters well I would not hesitate for a second."

    He looks at you, then Thaïs. He shakes his head. Then he looks at the girls and his expression softens a little, "It will be best for everyone if it looks like we are not involved with you. I will try and send food and water down when things cool off a little. Hopefully Bari will come round soon, he should know what to do..." the dwarf drops his gaze to his feet, "Wyrd knows, I haven't a clue..."

    You place a hand on his shoulder, he looks up at you as you speak, "I fully understand Trakk. If we get out of this I will double your pay at least. Go look after your family."

    "Thank you Derryth and don't worry too much. One of the boys should be down with supplies some time tomorrow and I should have information on Bari not long after that," with that Trakk and his three fellows file out of the bunker and you are left with your thoughts.

    You mumble under your breathe, "What a mess..."

    ----------------------------------------------

    One day passes with no word from your allies.

    A second day passes again with no contact from the outside world.

    Finally on the third day Trakk returns with much needed food, water and news from Bari.

    Not much of it is good...

    "So Bari will meet with us?" Trakk nods in response to your question.

    "When and where?" you press the dwarf.

    He lays out the plan to you, "Tomorrow at a Pathfinder safehouse on the south side of town. We can go most of the way through the old tunnel systems and the location itself should be secure."

    "At which point he will take us to the king?" Thaïs inquires.

    "Maybe," the dwarf seems unsure, "Things are still tense on the surface Derryth. That fire... it was bad... a lot of people died and more died in the anti-foreign riots that followed. The city is in an uproar, the nobles have been calling for the arrest of anyone every suspected of being involved in the incident and it might not be a good idea for the king to be seen meeting with strange humans at the moment. There are elements within the noble houses that would use it against him, Derryth... ah, I don't know... Really the only way to know will be to go and talk to Bari himself." Trakk shrugs, "Sorry I can not be of more help."


    Do you still wish to go to the meeting with Bari?

    A) Yes, and you take everyone. You do not want to split up with most of the city out for your blood.

    B) Yes, but you leave Meletē at the bunker to recuperate. If you want you can leave people to look after her, simple name who you would like to stay. Winning option will be the one with the most votes.

    C) No, this whole situation is too dangerous. You will leave town and make your way back to Muirthemne.

    D) No, this whole situation is too dangerous. You will turn yourself in at the palace. You are innocent and have nothing to hide. Hopefully the king will protect you.

    D) freeform
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Sure, if that is what people would prefer. I have no real preference either way so I will put it to a vote.

    Flip or No flip?
     
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,501
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,698
    Divinity: Original Sin
    :roll: A3 voters... What happened to not getting greedy again?

    Oh well, I suppose the situation could be salvageable. It's certainly going to damage any reward we get from the king.

    B, leave Biliku and Uttu
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Shiny happened. The 'Dex loves dem shinies.

    Cut the losses > Bari (leave Biliku + Uttu)

    No flip. Maybe this will finally prompt people to engage in a minimal discussion before we decide things.

    What were the rolls this time and how lucky we were to escape in one piece?
     
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,412
    Do you still wish to go to the meeting with Bari?

    A) Yes, and you take everyone. You do not want to split up with most of the city out for your blood.


    Flip
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Does anybody else have a suspicion that these arrows came from the same source?
    I don't know why, but the idea of having a stalker benefactor for reasons unknown in a city we never visited and where we can't possibly know anyone disturbs me the most about the whole situation.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,874
    Well that ended badly. Don't get greedy indeed. Personally, I thought that since we have handled the rescue so quietly we would have some time before they find her missing and send someone to watch the shop again. I thought these guys were hired to find her and bring her back, so I guess I underestimated what we were facing because of how easily we rescued her before. What I didn't expect was that every other bounty hunter, mercenary and general psycho for hire was also watching the place.

    Anyway: A > B (Biliku + Uttu) - it sounds like the road to the meeting place should be somewhat safe and I do want to hear what Bari has to say. Probably lost our chance at being a hero, but I'd settle for just getting everyone out of here alive and maybe have the king owe us a favour for returning the artefact and helping with the undead. It's not like we actually killed anyone or set fire to anything personally, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

    I don't like the idea of just running away because we would have to leave completely unprepared and there are still undead on the road. Plus, we would have to carry the inventor with us and hope she doesn't die on us. And the king right now has enough problems without giving him yet more to deal with.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,412
    Someone who received orders from the king perhaps?
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,060
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The Black Arrows - the ones that we snatched Melete from - indeed didn't expect us to be there. But if the girl had such a bounty put on her to warrant a massacre of the quarter of the town, it would have been prudent to assume that they captured her quietly and no one else knew they had her. Else they'd probably have their headquarters in ruins by now.

    So of course we ran into every other mercenary team. Those only knew Melete disappeared a day ago, so setting up an ambush at her only known place of residence is the most logical step for them.

    I guess we didn't know she was wanted that much and that the Black Arrows could not afford to make knowledge of her capture public.

    Nah, I'd expect someone sent by the king to operate openly... at least up until we set the city on fire and made ourselves an unwanted guest.
     
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.