Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe I was a bit too subtle with the hint this time... but all is not lost as you do have allies.
What were the hints? Of course, Trakk is a mercenary himself, and he has a full family of hostages, but I didn't expect enemies to get to them that fast. And I thought he would be smarter than to betray us out of greed.

Of course, Bari meeting us somewhere else was suspicious, but that alone wasn't enough to set off the alarm bells.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What were the hints?

Well like I said they were subtle and could be interpreted in a variety of ways. I did think though that someone would have latched on to them given that half of you were willing to torture the mayor in Blackford for less.

Still if you want to know there is no harm in telling I suppose. May want to wait until after the next update to read it though as some of the information will likely be repeated.

The shady and unspecified nature of the rendezvous location (really there is no reason why Bari would not come to you); the three day delay before any of the dwarves returned (Bari should have met you the next day not three days later) especially when Trakk promised to send someone down the next day; Trakk's hesitant and unsure attitude during your final conversation with him (Derryth failed her 'intuition' check and did not really make note of it but the dwarf was acting a little off and noncommittal or at least that was what I was trying to portray), the earlier mention of where his loyalties rest (primarily with his family, not you), and if you want to be really paranoid the trip by Felling to the inn.

There was also that comment I made about the better merc companies sitting back and playing a longer game. 'Bloody Wednesday', as that night will be remembered in dwarven history, drew the attention of some fairly powerful groups who immediately set about investigating, it took them about a day and a half all told.

Also the title of the update was me being a bit clever, maybe too clever for my own good, the update lays out the components/anatomy of the upcoming potential ambush masked behind the ambush you just survived...

So you have motive, the means by which the mercs found them and a few clues that not all was as it seemed. Any single element could be easily dismissed but taken together I think there was enough there. Still maybe there wasn't and I should be more direct next time... though it would not be a very effective ambush if it was well advertised... ;)

On a related note finished rolling for the encounter... god damned Bari, he never lets me have any fun. :lol:

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:lol: People start voting my way the moment I opt for walking into an ambush.

I thought "Oh Bari will know if we should talk to the king. We don't want to ruin things more than we have already"

Ah well. At least this one wasn't that very obvious.

Nevill

Arcane
I thought "Oh Bari will know if we should talk to the king. We don't want to ruin things more than we have already"
Wait until we ignite the other half of the city trying to break through elite mercenary companies.

Such is the life of an hero. :salute:

How is our sanity stat, by the way, Fangshi? How many kids should we set on fire before we start slipping? Would seeing Trakk's granddaughters gruesomely killed before our very eyes do it? Maybe Biliku and Uttu as well? I'd assume they will get a visit from our mercenary friends while we are gone.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Hmm so it was ambush after all. There was two possibilities either we were leading into trap or Bari had problems in finding us (or getting in touch with him) because of our sudden hide and seek game. Oh well i was wondering with was correct and wanted to find out who are those elite mercenaries.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
How is our sanity stat, by the way, Fangshi?

Your SAN stat has actually gone up over the course of the last chapter and a half. Those WIS increases helped as did staring down the spider goddess and successfully defeating two armies of darkness. You have not really done anything to warrant a SAN hit either for someone with such a high WIS/willpower. It also helps that Derryth only really cares about her own people as well. She is not happy that so many 'civilians' died but she is not losing any sleep over it either. They were not her friends so she has little problem letting them die (though she would of course prefer no collateral damage).

If you were playing someone more 'heroic' then it probably would have triggered a SAN check but all and all Derryth is doing fine.

How many kids should we set on fire before we start slipping? Would seeing Trakk's granddaughters gruesomely killed before our very eyes do it? Maybe Biliku and Uttu as well? I'd assume they will get a visit from our mercenary friends while we are gone.

Yeah setting children on fire would do it, you would still get to make a check but it would be above average difficulty. Watching Trakk's granddaughters die would have the same effect as watching random children get murdered, if it was gruesome enough then it wold trigger a check but Derryth does not really care all that much about people she does not personally know (that can change based on your choices of course).

Now if you let me the mercs get to Biliku and/or Uttu and torture and kill them then yes that would trigger a very difficult SAN check. Derryth is becoming rather protective of 'her' girls, she knows them, they are not just kids but her kids and it would hit her hard if they died (harder than Tyrvard's death which still bothers her slightly when she thinks about it).

As for whether or not the mercs reach them, that will be in the update so you will just have to wait until I finish putting everything together. Though I did drop a hint...

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 9: An Unexpected Ambush

Dust... dust and the cold dark. The three of you slip through the old tunnels under the city. Trakk leads while you guard the rear. Thaïs walks a few steps ahead of you. No one is really up for conversation.

The dwarf arrived at the bunker two hours ago. He suggested that Meletē and the girls remain at the bunker for their safety. Given the current danger you are in you were inclined to agree with him. You bid them farewell, told them not to open the door for anyone but you or Thaïs and set off on the long walk to the rendezvous point.

"We are here," Trakk gestures at a ladder leading up, "Bari will be in a warehouse the Pathfinder's use as a safe house, two blocks over. We have to be careful and quiet. Follow me."

The cold, brisk breeze that hits you as you break through to the surface is invigorating. It is a cloudy night, the moon and stars obscured, granting little light beyond the lanterns hung into the street. The air still has a slight smoky quality to it, no doubt blown in from the ruined section of the city. You wonder just how bad it got on the surface in the last couple of days.

Trakk waves you over to a dark alley as the three of you continue on your way.

Mere moments later you are outside the warehouse.

The dwarf leads you in. It is dark, you can barely see a couple meters in front of you, but Trakk warns you against creating any light. Part of you thinks that this whole situation is a little odd but you chock down your paranoia, you tell yourself that it is just nerves.

You stand in the darkness for a few minutes, finally Trakk speaks, "Alright Bari said he would meet you here shortly. He might be running a bit late though so just stay here until he shows up. I have to be going-"

"No you don't Trakk. Feel free to stay!" a distorted voice calls out from the darkness.

"You said I could go! That I would not have to watch this!" Trakk yells back into the darkness.

You instantly grasp what is happening. This is a trap, Trakk sold you out. You take Thaïs by the hand and the two of you begin to slowly back towards the door and away from the dwarf.

The voice calls out to you now, "Ladies, if you would please stop it would be greatly appreciated. You are going to like what comes next I assure you."

Somehow you doubt that, you call out to the voice, "Just who the hell are you?"

It is Trakk that answers, "They are big money Derryth... powerful. We could hide you from the mercs but these guys they are on a whole new level. I am sorry, they did not leave me a choice and-"

The voice is angered by this, "You always have a choice you idiot! You have friends that could have helped you but no, instead you sell out your employer to a bunch of Wyrd damned traitors! Someone turn the lights on!"

A half dozen lanterns flicker to life. There in the center of the warehouse sits Bari surrounded by six other dwarves. You are stuck dumb by the sudden appearance of the Pathfinder.

"Bari!" you can not see Trakk's face but from the tone of his voice you can tell he is terrified.

Bari grins from ear to ear. He swings his legs back and forth, one heel accidently connects with the chair he is sitting in. The chair lets out a moan, "The one and only, Trakk. You are under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder, kidnapping, treason, and probably half a dozen other things I am forgetting. Feel free to scream your innocence, it is always more fun that way."

One of his hands reaches for the blade stuffed in his belt. Bari gives him a dismissive snot, "You know who I am Trakk. You know you these brave souls with me are. You draw that weapon and there is only one way this ends and I won't make it quick."

"I... Bari... they have my girls... all of them, even little Brenna... I..." the dwarf drops to his knees on the verge of crying.

Trakk and Bari continue their conversation, though perhaps interrogation would be a more accurate term, but you are still focused on the 'chair'. It is, or was, a person. Human, striped naked, her ears have been removed, as has her nose, her toes, fingers and one eye.

You can't help but ask, "Wyrd, Bari, what did you do to that woman?"

He gives you a confused look for a second before dramatically hopping to his feet, "Oh you mean my chair!" he gives her a quick kick in the stomach, "Well she was here to kill you, her and twelve of her friends," he grabs a lantern and shines it into the corner of the warehouse. Twelve corpses greet your gaze, a few human but mostly dwarves, all naked and piled up against the wall.

He gives you a warm smile, "As I said Derryth. You are my friend and I do not take kindly to people that try and hurt my friends."

As he says those last words his gaze drifts back to Trakk and his grin takes on a feral aspect.

You understand where he is coming from even if you are not sure about his methods and most of the sympathy you have for this woman evaporates when you realize that a couple hours ago she was planning to kill you. Still you do have a few questions, "But why is she naked Bari?"

"Oh, that is simple. We did not want to get blood on the uniforms," the way he says it, so casually, you can tell this is not the first time he has had a conversation exactly like this. He gives you a moment to digest the information before continuing, "As for why we want the uniforms well that will become apparent within the hour but first I want to hear everything from the traitor himself."

Trakk, still kneeling, simply nods. He does not believe he can escape, you would not have given up so easily but part of you is glad he did. As angry as you are with the dwarf you think you understand why he did it.

He musters the strength to begin, "It started the day after the fire. We managed to hide Derryth and her team in the bunker and we were certain that we had done it clean. Obviously we were mistaken. That night I come home and find the kids missing, they," he gestures at the pile of bodies, "Took them, my wife, my son and his wife, everyone..." the thought of his family in danger fills the dwarf with rage, rage he takes out on his interrogator, "They have them all Bari! Do you know what it is like to have someone close to you in danger, do you! To worry about losing them! Well! Do you! What the hell would you do!"

You know all too well the answer to that question. Bari for his part betrays not a hint of his sorrow over Ari, his response is flat and professional, all the more chilling for its lack of emotion, "Yes, Trakk, I do know and I would not betray my friends so come down off that high fucking horse and continue with your confession."

The Pathfinder stares the other dwarf down from across the room, Trakk breaks eye contact under the crushing weight of Bari's stare, "I... they told me that if I turned over the inventor and Derryth's group they would release my family... what else could I have done? I... I... and now... now they are going to kill them all..."

Bari just shakes his head, "Damn it Trakk, they are going to kill them regardless, hell there is a good chance they are already dead," Trakk winces at the thought, "Did you see any of them? Did they give you any proof that they are still alive? Even if they are still alive do you think for even one second that they would let that many witnesses walk away from this? Trakk... frankly I thought you were smarter than this... just... just continue."

Trakk nods, "They... they wanted to get the mages away from the rest of the group," he turns to you, "They wanted to lure you two out so that they could better hit the bunker... grab the inventor... kill the girls..."

You go pale at the thought and Thaïs' fingers dig into your hand as the news hits her, you start for the door, "Bari we have to go now-"

He waves you off, "Don't worry Derryth. Trakk is right, these people are good but we are just so much better," his team start laughing, "The day after the fire I looked for you. Just about approached Trakk too till I noticed that he was under surveillance. I personally tailed him and found the bunker. Honestly, I wanted to get you out of there right away but this was not an opportunity I could afford to miss. Anyway that hit team will never make it to the bunker. Our people are already in place. Not one of them is coming out of those tunnels alive. Ori is in charge of that team. You remember Ori right? Damn good kid. Anyway, Ori will take Biliku, Uttu and that friend of yours... um... what is her name again?"

One of the Pathfinders steps forward, " Meletē, sir."

"Right, right, Meletē. Well Ori will take the three of them over to our real safe house and we will meet them there. We have a lot to discuss. But first there is the issue of what to do with you, Trakk. You know what the penalty for treason is Trakk? For attempting to kill allies of the kingdom?" he strides over to Trakk, knife in hand, "Any final words?"

"Bari, my family..." Trakk begins.

"If I can save them Trakk, I will," Bari raises the knife.

Trakk closes his eyes, he is strangely calm, at peace with his fate, his failure, "Derryth... Thaïs... I am sorry. Just... just tell the girls I am sorry."

In a moment he will be dead. Part of you wants to say something, part of you wants to let the traitor die. The question is which part to listen to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Trakk's fate:

A) You let Bari kill Trakk. One less traitor in the world.

B) You ask Bari to spare Trakk. You understand why he did it even if you can not forgive him for it. Instead you suggest that Trakk be sent into exile, what he does from there is none of your concern.

C)You ask Bari to spare Trakk and you offer the dwarf a job. Everyone makes mistakes and you fully understand why he did what he did.

D) You ask Bari to detain Trakk until you can ascertain the fate of his family. You will then make a decision as to his fate. (This choice requires 2A to win, if 2A does not win then the next highest choice will be chosen).

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well it doesn't look like much," Thaïs opines

You are in the real safe house, a nondescript little curio shop, rundown and empty except for a truly ancient dwarf that sits, or rather is propped up behind the counter. He snores slightly and gives the impression that he is asleep but you can tell that he is listening to everything that is going on. The rest of Bari's team remained behind to clean up the mess, to secure the 'prisoner' such as she was and to prepare for their next assignment. Something Bari thinks you can help him with though he does not want to get into it until he is certain you can speak freely.

Bari leads you behind the counter and towards the back room. As he moves to pass the ancient dwarf, the 'sleeping' sentinel springs to life. A thin cane swings down to block Bari's way, "Employees only," remarks the dwarf.

"Out of my way you mean old bastard," Bari barks.

"Kids these days... no respect for their elders," the dwarf shakes his head.

"Well if our elders did anything maybe we would respect them more," Bari spits back, grinning slightly.

"Trust me kid, if they put me back into the field then none of you would have anything to do. I would have all threats to the throne neutralized in a week tops, why back in my day-" Bari raises his hands in surrender.

"Alvis, we can talk later. I am bringing guests to the chief," at the mention of their leader the old man lowers his cane, "Alright Bari but I will hold you to that, and you girls better behave yourselves," he gives you each a nod and settles back into his feigned slumber.

The décor of the safe house stands in stark contrast to the storefront, clean sharp lines are the norm. The furniture is plain with an eye to function, tables, chairs, a few desks and a number of lockers which line the walls.

As you enter the girls race up to you. Biliku hugs Thaïs, Uttu tackles you.

They chatter in unison, "You should have seen it! The dwarves can go invisible! They are so quiet and fast too! They got inside faster than we could draw our weapons!"

Uttu starts, her words tumble over themselves to get out, "They brought us here and at first I thought they were going to hurt us and that you would be mad that we did not stay in the bunker-"

Biliku finishes, "But then they showed us all the cool gadgets they have. They have like fifty types of bombs..."

Uttu nods, "And cool ropes that are launched from tubes..."

You did not think it was possible but they are getting ever more excited as they go, Biliku grabs your hand, "They have these gloves that let you climb walls Derryth! They even let Uttu try them!"

Uttu stares at her feet, "I got stuck..."

The relief that washes over you at seeing them safe is palpable. You smile at them and at Thaïs. Finally you look to Bari.

Bari leans against the doorframe watching, "This is why I love my job, saving the day and all that," he grins at you, "So are you ready to get down to business?"

The Pathfinder does not wait for you to respond, instead he pushes off from the door and rapidly crosses the room disappearing into a side chamber. He stops only once along his course and nods to a female dwarf working at a nearby desk, "Astrid."

"Bari," she responds as he passes. Her eyes follow him as he leaves the room before she notices you watching and quickly returns to work.

With a shrug at this exchange you follow him deeper into the building.

It is a small room, three dwarfs sit at a table playing cards. One of them, the youngest, you recognize as Ori. The second is a truly massive dwarf with a thick blonde beard, he laughs merrily as he rakes a pile of coins towards himself, Thaïs leans in, "That must be the chief."

You shake your head, and whisper back, "No I don't think so, look at the way they act towards the third dwarf. He is the one in charge and I think I know who he is."

The third dwarf is older than the other two. He sports a simple white tunic and brown slacks. His auburn hair drawn behind him in a simple ponytail. His beard has the odd streak of white in it which adds an air of distinction and dignity to the dwarf. In fact, if you needed a word to sum him up it would be just that, dignity. He carries himself with the air of someone who leads and has rarely followed, he is confident but not domineering, so secure is he in his power that he has no problem playing cards with his subordinates and while you are no gambler it looks like they are all playing fair.

This dwarf is their leader, a small puzzle for you to unravel and for someone as experienced with mysteries as you are it is a simple matter to decide on his identity.

Bari steps towards the table, "Derryth, Thaïs, may I introduce you to-"

You know who this dwarf is, you are certain of it, and if the stories are true then you know he respects intelligence and courage so you take a little gamble. It pays off, "King Albrecht VII, it is an honour your majesty," you give him a low curtsy.

Bari, Thaïs and the girls stand there in shock. The game at the table stops. The third dwarf looks up at you... he smiles, "Well the girl is quick Bari, just like you said. Please, take a seat next to me, I will deal you in. Have any money?"

Not wanting to disobey an order from the king you grab a chair and pull it over, "A little," you respond.

Thaïs follows suit while Bari shoos the girls back out into the main room. They complain so he hands them a small rod, he calls it a stun baton, and tells them to go play with Alvis and Astrid.

"I will spot you some then," Albrecht tosses you a small sack of coins which you split with Thaïs.

You recount your adventure with Jori, saving him from the spiders, the attack by the Damned, the battle with the Blues, Jori's death, and your vengeance on Miosguinn. Albrecht nods along as you speak but he does not interrupt. Following your story he asks about the undead incursion you fought off and you begin your second tale of the evening, you mention the necromancer at Blackford, the crows, the eagle and the presence of the Watcher. You involuntarily shiver at the memory of that... thing. Thaïs does as well, and you feel less foolish about it. The power behind that mind was, no is, terrifying.

Albrecht frowns, "Yes, Ori mentioned the Watcher. If he rises again it will be bad for everyone. Still not an immediate threat..."

The discussion at the table moves to lighter fare. Gossip, war stories, all manner of talk really. At first blush it might seem odd that a king should be so free with his people but having met Albrecht, he insists that you simply call him Albrecht, you understand why his people would follow him. Here is a leader with that 'common touch', so certain in his own abilities that others can not help but believe in him. He has nothing left to prove to himself and so feels no need to prove things to others.

Out of curiosity you reach out to his mind.

You are met with a replica of Myrgard, filled with dwarves coming and going. The buildings shimmer slightly in the sun. At every street corner sits some sort of mechanical lamp... a light post for lack of a better word. Down the center of the street run tracks and a large metal carriage runs down them. It is like nothing you have ever seen and you have seen the real Myrgard. It is busy but beautiful, free but orderly, it is his vision for his people, his hope for them reflected within his mind. He is Myrgard and you smile at that thought.

"Like what you see mage?" the king smiles at you, "Just don't try and cheat."

You blush slightly at his gentle rebuke and withdraw from his mind. He knew what you were doing and he trusted you enough to let you in. Perhaps he is a little overconfident or perhaps he knows that he can resist you, you are not sure which.

As you play you get a good feel for each of the dwarves.

Bari plays as he lives, brutal and with no regrets, he wins big, he loses big and he is the first one out. Ori plays the numbers, most of the calls he makes are very much by the book but he is too predictable to really come out ahead, he slowly bleeds coins and is the second one out. Argus, the large dwarf and Albrecht's bodyguard, plays defensively and shows better judgement then the other two but falls as well.

Albrecht is cagey, he can be aggressive when needed, defensive when required. He is also damn near impossible to read which makes sense. This is a dwarf that led his people into and back out of exile. He has faced more challenges, internal and external, than you can imagine. His enemies all dead, he stands alone, victorious. You do well, you even gang up on the dwarf with Thaïs but in the end old age and treachery win out. Albrecht wins as Bari brings over a cask of beer.

The king stares at you as he sips on his drink. Finally he speaks, "I think I like you girls. You have aided me twice but I would like to know why you burnt down my city."

With a sigh you begin to explain, Thaïs helps where she can and the king seems largely satisfied with your story, "Well when that girl wakes up I will have to have a word with her about the proper way to store hazardous materials. Still she did not commit a crime and neither did either of you. I have no interest in punishing innocent parties however I can not openly reward you given your involvement in the incident. Still every cloud has a silver lining as my father used to say. I think there is a way for us to take advantage of this situation."

Albrecht gestures to Ori, who promptly speaks up, "The 'mercenaries' we fought in the tunnels were not really mercenaries. They were too well equipped and I recognized one of them from my time in the military. Anyway we got to 'talking' and it turns out he works, or rather worked, for House Eberhardt."

Bari interjects, "I suspected this group was powerful but not that powerful. I grabbed a couple dozen uniforms from the group we hit," he rubs his chin as he thinks of the possibilities, "I was planning on going after them to deal with some personal debts but this might be even better."

Albrecht nods, "Eberhardt is one of my biggest detractors but this little attempted murder and kidnapping ties his family to foreign interests. The Brannons of your empire," he gestures at you and Thaïs, "In particular."

You know who the Brannons are. They are one of the most powerful families in the entire empire. The patriarch of the family is the emperor's minister of finance, his brother is one of the largest landholders in the west. If these are the people after Meletē then you have made very powerful enemies. Your head swims a little at the implications of what you have done. You look to Thaïs, she looks a bit pale. Seems she understands your situation as well.

Albrecht on the other hand simply gives you both a sympathetic smile.

Of course he is not bothered, he makes enemies of the most powerful men in the world all the time. They tend to wind up dead or humbled which is why it is no surprise when he suggests just that, "I would like you ladies to help us with a mission, given your unique talents and successful track record. I am going to send in a team of Pathfinders, disguised as Eberhardt's 'mercenaries'. They will meet with Eberhardt or his agents and we will see just how far up these connections go. Ideally we get something on Eberhardt and I can find him guilty of treason. Without House Eberhardt, the opposition should crumble and I would be free to openly reward you."

You are hesitant, "Sounds like a plan but why do you need us at all?"

"Well," he holds up his hand and begins counting off the reasons, "First of all I know I can trust you. Second, you have a great track record... barring that little fire... Third, from what Bari tells me you are mentalists which should be very helpful on an infiltration mission. Fourth, these people are as much your enemies as mine now. Better to destroy them then let them destroy you and Fifth..."

Bari interrupts, "Fifth, working for the crown pays really well!"

The dwarves join in a chorus of deep rolling laughter.

The king looks you in the eye, a look that promises of success, wealth and adventure, "So what do you say, willing to do another job for me?"

2. The Job, do you take it?

A) Yes, you will take the job. These people tried to kill you, they tried to kill Thaïs, they tried to kill the girls. You won't let that go. (Also power and wealth are nice...)

B) No, you will receive your payment and leave the city. You are done with the dwarves. (All B votes will be counted together, the winning option will be the one with the most votes.)

i. You take your payment in material wealth. (approx. 600 wealth points)

ii. You take your payment in magical knowledge. You will be given free run of the academy but you may have to wait a few years for anti-foreign sentiment to die down. As it currently stands the dwarves will not be terribly willing to work with you.

iii. You take your payment in the form of a favour or three to be collected at a time of your choosing. Albrecht won't be terribly happy about this but he owes you.

C) No, you will receive your payment but stay in the city to tend to your interests, you still need to revisit Mayer for example. (All C votes will be counted together, the winning option will be the one with the most votes.)

i. You take your payment in material wealth. (approx. 600 wealth points)

ii. You take your payment in magical knowledge. You will be given free run of the academy but you may have to wait a few years for anti-foreign sentiment to die down. As it currently stands the dwarves will not be terribly willing to work with you.

iii. You take your payment in the form of a favour or three to be collected at a time of your choosing. Albrecht won't be terribly happy about this but he owes you.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. Trakk's fate:

A) You let Bari kill Trakk. One less traitor in the world.

2. The Job, do you take it?

A) Yes, you will take the job. These people tried to kill you, they tried to kill Thaïs, they tried to kill the girls. You won't let that go. (Also power and wealth are nice...)

Cassidy

Arcane
1 - A; no mercy for traitors.

2 - Bii; because this is about finding the other half of the Halcyon Stone first and foremost.

*Edit:

A very accurate depiction of Bari's mug while sitting on that "chair":

ShepardFace.jpg

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1) C
Trakk knows he made a mistake and won't be making it again. He will be of use. Plus, we have the resources to give any of his family that survive a new start.

2) A
The short and broad ones have been interesting and profitable for us. If we can help neuter our common enemies, we should do it.

Nevill

Arcane
Really on the fence about Trakk. We are the ones that involved him in this mess, and I feel bad about it. If his family were alive, I would vote for freeing them and keeping him, or at the very least sending him into the exile. If not, though, it's best to kill him.
Well that is just basic logic. If you are going to kill a man's wife, his lord and most of his friends you had better kill him too or else.
Ultimately, it is still somewhat our fault, and he will hold us accountable for it if they are dead. If they are alive, though, then I think there would not be a more faithful servant than the one who had misstepped once and who has to work for his reputation. And I have a feeling that if he ever betrays us again, the Pathfinders are not above using his family to get to him, so there is that as well.

I'd like to postpone the decision until their fate becomes clear, and detain him until then, but if I have to choose now, it would be B, as this is a moderate choice.

And of course we take the job, we need to start crossing people off our enemies list, especially if they are that powerful. And who can say no to working with an unholy hybrid of CIA and SWAT? Let's see how the professionals do it - we might need the experience when we get back to the human lands.

BA

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
I'd like to postpone the decision until their fate becomes clear, and detain him until then

Hmmm...

Well I will admit I can not think of a good reason why he could not be detained, I generally do not like ruling "because I said so" and I do like proactive player generated solutions... so...

Sure, if you want to detain him until you can determine the fate of his family then that can be done as well. He might not be content to sit in a cell and wait while his family is in danger/dead but you can certainly try if you want.

However nothing comes without a cost. He will be kept at the safe house. Two Pathfinder agents will stay behind to guard him so you will lose them for the mission and for this option you will be required to accept the mission. If you leave the city or refuse to help then the Pathfinders will simply kill him like they were going to do. This will be a personal favour to you due your many contributions to the kingdom.

Added as D.

Nevill

Arcane
Hmmm...

Well I will admit I can not think of a good reason why he could not be detained and I generally do not like ruling "because I said so"... and I do like proactive player generated solutions... so...

Added.
Nah, I was just rambling.

Thinking about it further, I would feel even worse if we have to spare him now only to murder him later when we know his family is dead. At least now he has hope they can be saved.

And if they are alive and we really wanted to be merciful, we could ask Albrecht to end his exile, so B kind of works that way, too, without reducing the resourses we have to work with.

I'll stay on BA.

I think how we deal with Trakk will reflect on the willingness of others to deal with us in the future. It is true he betrayed us under pressure, but the only reason he got in trouble is that he was involved with us as an escort and tried to help us when the city has gone insane. Ultimately, I do not want to create a precedent and give substance to 'steer clear of Derryth, that mage is nothing but trouble' views. We don't have to be soft, but we have to be just.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A>C
A

Damn you Theseus Trakk! There's no reason to let a traitor live. It will serve as a good lesson. If we do let him live, better to keep him close where we can keep an eye on him, and to assign him suicidal missions.

As for the second choice. Exterminate our foes before they know what's coming.

I think how we deal with Trakk will reflect on the willingness of others to deal with us in the future. It is true he betrayed us under pressure, but the only reason he got in trouble is that he was involved with us as an escort and tried to help us when the city has gone insane. Ultimately, I do not want to create a precedent and give substance to 'steer clear of Derryth, that mage is nothing but trouble' views. We don't have to be soft, but we have to be just.

The flip side to that is gaining a reputation for being soft and willing to suffer the presence of traitors. Better to be seen as ruthless but honest and straight forward. That's the reputation that keeps people honest and engenders trust.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
It will serve as a good lesson.
A good lesson to avoid us, sure. We are about to make enemies out of the Brannons family, or already did. One would assume that the people willing to help us back in the Empire would be pretty scarce from now on, if helping us is going to get them and their families murdered.

We have to make an effort to save his family at the very least. But if they live through this, there is no reason not to leave the man alive, too.

The flip side to that is gaining a reputation for being soft and willing to suffer the presence of traitors.
As I said, we don't have to be soft, but we have to be fair. B strikes the balance between punishing him for his momentarily weakness while admitting the fact that he tried to help and sparing his life for that. We knew he had a family, we knew he values them more than us, and yet we got him involved anyway. The folly is ours as much as it is his.

C is certainly not something you want to advertise, but if done quietly, I can see it working as well... if his family survives.

Last edited:
I'm going with B > C; A.

The reason I'm for sparring Trakk is that it is really highly unlikely he would try something like that again, so killing him only serves as vengeance. That strikes me as a bit of a waste, even if we don't employ him now a skilled fighter like him and his team could be of use to us later. Besides, he did say what would happen if he has to choose between his family and us and we told him we understand.

Nevill

Arcane
Speaking of his team, what happened to Felling and Telling? Where are they, and are they considered to be guilty of treason as well, or is it only their superior that was compromised and they were just following his orders?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Speaking of his team, what happened to Felling and Telling? Where are they, and are they considered to be guilty of treason as well, or is it only their superior that was compromised and they were just following his orders?

Trakk claims that they knew nothing and Bari can confirm that Trakk has had no contact with them since the last time you saw them (when they brought you your possessions).

As far as anyone can tell Trakk kept them out of it, could be he did not want to trust them with it or it could be that Trakk knew the Pathfinders would find out eventually... Trakk knows Bari... it is reasonable to assume that he believed he would not walk away from betraying you and did not want to kill his men as well.

So far the Pathfinders have Gilling, Telling and Felling under discrete observation but they have not moved on them and have no plans to unless something changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom