Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    F
    I'm fine with messy. Part of being competent is knowing when you're out of your depth and letting those more experienced than you take the lead.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is tough. I am not sure Bari is well-suited for subtle missions like kidnapping and smuggling.

I'd also assume that negotiating now is not an option. How are you going to negotiate when Ullr is standing right there? They also might want Melete... and just who the hell is that Ceannard guy and what does he want? I am uncomfortable with dealing with him when there are so many uncertainties.

I'd take them out of the compound and negotiate with them there... if anything, the Black Arrows don't want Pathfinders on their toes, but I am not quite sure that they will be willing to re-negotiate once they accept the contract, as any mercenaries that want to stay in business would. Though if there are no witnesses, I suppose that might be acceptable to them.

Attacking them... is unwise. Ceannard is definitely a strange one, and he is ready for your attack.

I wonder what would happen if we slip a suggestion and seed distrust between the two groups. Can Ceannard call us out on that? Fangshi, how noticeable is it for the third party when the mage is casting something like a suggestion? How does it look like?

Then again, it was mentioned that "suggestion is a fairly basic spell that most skilled individuals can resist". How does a failed suggestion look like from a victim's standpoint?

Ultimately, all of these choices will have to pass certain checks to succeed. We are just trying to find the one with the most beneficial modifiers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't think Cennard will interfere so long as his services are not engaged, but this is a complete guess based on what I have seen so far of the group's emphasis on contracts. If we use suggestion to make Ullr leery of hiring them, then they shouldn't interfere. I think using suggestion to play up his suspicions of them would work, but who knows what Cennard has up his sleeve.

I don't think negotiating with the Black Arrows at this time is wise, not in Ullr's stronghold where he can outbid us.

C>F

^ Top  
  4. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Yeah, I think I'm going with C > F as well.

edit: make that C > G (knock the guy out).

The reasoning being that with Thais around we are really good with this spell and the guy already wants to go with us, we just have to push him a bit towards us (or better, just push him away from the other party). The main risk here is that Ceannard will react to this, but even if he notices what we are doing he may be just amused by this. After all, it is such a basic spell, anyone should be able to defend themselves against it. And we didn't actually cause any damage to these guys when we rescued the inventor (apart from making them look incompetent of course).

Other choices are much riskier - I don't want to attack these guys because we have no idea what Ceannard is capable of. Negotiating also sounds dubious as our target will promise everything for his life and we will have a difficult time meeting that bid. Playing along is suicide because these guys will strike at us the moment they make a deal. And I'm beginning to think that even Bari is out of his element here - when we did our thing with the guard he seemed unsure and asked us if we could do this again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It is not a spell that requires movement or vocalization so it is quite subtle. An observer might be able to tell if the target begins to behave strangely but it would require knowledge of the existence of the spell and a reason to believe that a mage is influencing the target instead of an more mundane explanation such as stress or drug abuse.

Now another mage could probably tell immediately that someone is casting provided they are paying attention but they would not neccesarily know who is casting or what is being cast if they have no experience with such spells.

Just on a general note most mental spells are very subtle, they rely directly on the willpower and mental fortitude of the caster so a good mentalist can still cast even when bound and gagged. Of course if you drug them or otherwise undermine their ability to focus the spells become far less useful.

They reject the thought and subsequent attempts to influence them become more difficult as the target learns to defend themselves. If you are using a light touch there will be no physical changes, if you are really pushing them then they may suffer some minor whiplash and the like. The smarter/wiser the target the more likely they are to deduce that they were attacked at which point they will attempt to defend themselves or flee.

Nine either does not know or is unwilling to teach you a 'tracer spell' but it might be possible to take something like Retrieve Item and modify it to mark an object without recalling it. You would need to take a look at the magical theory involved but it is a possible avenue of development.

You could plant a compulsion/false memory combo in his mind keyed to a particular trigger but you would have to be careful in setting up the contingency. You are right in that it is probably beyond your ability to do individually but your Circle could pull it off if it was set up like a ritual. It would take time to properly weave but it could certainly be done. You might need a few weeks or months of brainstorming together to get it right however.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hmmm. Is Caennard perhaps controlling our target right now? The man did say that there was something weird about him.

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I highly doubt it. What for?

If he was interested in serving Ullr, he would have revealed us immediately. He is playing a game that we don't quite understand yet.

Other than make them lose on a bounty? We robbed them of their money and reputation, and that is a great damage in itself, especially for the mercenary company.

I wonder if Caennard guessed which party is it that we serve. Two low-life mages would hardly come inside Eberhardt's stronghold if they didn't have a backing of equal or greater power behind them.

Fangshi, what would be the suggestion that we are going to plant in Ullr's mind? He is uncertain if he should go with us alone, so pushing him in that direction might not be all that successful. On the other hand, if we suggest to him that the other party is just wasting his time attempting to get something out of their deal when they previously got nothing, that might just hit the spot. He did think that way just a moment ago. Or will we try several approaches?

Going with C. If Caennard knows our identity and haven't acted on this knowledge thus far, he might let us get away with it for now.

^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Hell yes, we should develop this ritual and use it upon all our high-ranking enemies whenever we capture them. Then let them go, let them plan and scheme against us. All the while they'll be serving as useful pawns to our cause. I like that a lot.

Take over the Empire, one foe at a time.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Why wouldn't high ranking enemies have access to spellcasters of their own? I'd imagine those would be able to detect such a trigger.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Why would they? It's a magical alteration achieving a non-magical permanent effect. That being an implanted memory with an overriding personality set to the right mental trigger. The only way to really detect it would be through some sort of mind probe. Unless a spell is required to maintain the effect or something, but I don't see why that would be.

It'd be like detecting that a rock was once moved by telekinesis after the fact.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Then again, Ullr is just about to sign the contract. Will Cennard let go of the opportunity like that? We might be interfering with his business here.

I don't like this line one bit:
    If that's our WIS 8 instinct speaking, then it might really be a bad idea. On the other hand, short of letting Bari handle it or attacking them with extreme prejudice, I don't really see better options.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    To be fair, our internal voice is pessimistic about every option.

As for the contract, I'm speculating that these guys have a strange sense of honour in regards to how they do their business. No contract, no conflict, unless you go out of your way to attack them. I have no reason to think this, other than the fact that their name is similar to the Black Company and ergo they share all their traits.

^ Top  
  13. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    It seems that Caennard is using suggestions of his own (or something similar). We really should not attack them because at this point we are acting as representatives of the King and we cannot know the implications of our actions. F seems to be the way to go but, Fangshi, is it possible to inform Bari that the Black Arrows probably know who we are and that their boss might be a magic user before he desides?

^ Top  
  14. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    G drop Ullr with mental spell and gag him, if he cant negotiate he cant hire. Oh and politely ask for pamphlet about their company services. Mby some day we will need some high skilled backup.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hmmm... that is actually quite funny, and it might work, too. No worse than C would, anyway, with the other party knowing our allegiance.

I'll flop to it, then. G.

^ Top  
  16. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    It could work, yes. Less subtle than C, but also probably less chance of the spell just failing. Of course, what his guests have to say about it is a different matter. But I'll add it is a conditional vote.

^ Top  
  17. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Be smart guys, he knows who we are, this charade is for us, not his former employer, this also means that probably he can contrast magic.

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, yes, he knows who we are, and yes, he probably can detect magic. We are not trying to trick him.

I will not enter the negotiations if Ullr is able to speak or act, though. Silence him by whatever means necessary, then see how the mercenaries will react. Chances are, they won't want to involve themselves without a guarantee that thel'll be paid.

^ Top  
  19. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    He has gone to great lenghts for dropping his employer and practically he has openly asked us for a negotiate, I doubt he did it for squeezing more money from the dwarf.
    However I am certain that a direct attack is unwise, and I think that even if we get our target without any interference from the Black Arrows we will regret not having negotiate now.
    He bragged about who is behind him, someone more powerful than our target, and probably has a good idea for whom we are working, it doesn't end here, even if we succeed.

^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Heh, I may easily be reading this wrong, but I think that with C we could end up in a magical tug of war over the guy, with Ceannard and us both trying to influence him to our / his side. He just strikes me like that. And negotiating... yeah, that could work though I too would prefer if our target is in no condition to bid against us. Say, knock him out, then immediately ask for a contract with the mercs. Would they attack in this situation or would they at least negotiate first?

^ Top  
  21. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    I think that the kind of negotiation he wants has nothing to do with his former employer.
    In fact we can just ask if we can gag and restrain our target before negotiating with him.

^ Top  
  22. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Going with D, I just don't see other options work out without casualties. Maybe someone would like to come up with something good with freeform?

^ Top  
  23. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    In D i think that they are going to be asking for Melete and it is not going to end well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    G is freeform. Why would it result in casualties?

Basically, why do we need to be subtle with C if our cover is blown as far as the mercs are concerned?

^ Top  
  25. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Derryth intends to start with something along the lines of 'they are wasting your time'/'trying to extort money from you' that sort of thing. Ullr is quick to anger, she want him angry at the Arrows and willing to storm off with his 'guards'.

Well you can't say it out loud without tipping off Ullr. You could send Bari a suggestion not to use violence but you can not guarantee he would listen to your advice. In F you are trusting his judgement, he will do what he thinks is most likely to succeed.

Sure I will add it as an option. G) Incapacitate Ullr and ask Caennard for his card. One question though, in this option do you still intend to hire the Arrows now or will you just try and leave with Ullr?

Current Tally:
    Baltika9 F
    Smashing Axe C>F
    Zero Credibility C>G
    asxetos F>G
    Jester G
    Nevill G
    Kz3r0 D
    GreyViper D>G
    Grimgravy G>F
    Azira C>F
    Cassidy B>C

Pre Flop:
    A)
    B) 1 vote
    C) 3 votes
    D) 2 votes
    E)
    F) 2 votes
    G) 3 votes

Post Flop:
    A)
    B)
    C) 3 votes
    D) 1 vote
    E)
    F) 1 vote
    G) 6 votes

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.