Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'd very much like to know what their reaction would be like, first.

    I guess they would not really be keen on letting us go just like that, so hire would be a safer option. But who knows, maybe Ceannard wants to amuse himself?

    I'd like to note that failure here will probably influence other tasks unfavorably. We still need to get the prisoners out, and get a look at the financial records, so I'd rather go with something that does not result in violence just yet.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Well there is only one way to find out. :lol:

    Though there are plenty of hints as to the type of relationship Ullr and Ceannard have in the update itself.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, it is clear that they don't care for Ullr unless he is paying, first. I am not worried that they will rush to his aid.

    It is far less clear what type of relationship they have with us. If we don't hire them, what would really prevent them from alerting the guards just for lulz and as a bit of payback for our night visit?
     
    ^ Top  
  4. asxetos Augur

    asxetos
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Messages:
    807
    Location:
    Greece
    I dont see how we can hire the Black Arrows. We are rich, yes, but nowhere as rich as the strongest family of the empire that hired them to get Melete (yet :)). The only one that could probably hire them is Bari, if he wanted to reveal his Master. I like G and it will probably work, as far as getting out with Ullr is concerned, but we can be sure that the BA will be after us sooner rather than later.
    I flop to F > G.
    Bari wouldnt have the position he has by being a bloodthirsty brute. I trust him to get us out of this situation.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It wasn't the Brannor family that hired them. It was the house Eberhardt. Hell, why do you think they were sitting in Ullr's office and how did he know that they let the girl be kidnapped? He did just cancel a deal with them.

    The Eberhardt house is going down - I don't think the mercenaries will cross Pathfinders unless they are paid really, really well and upfront, - and Brannors are not here to hire them. These are the people that don't move a finger without a contract, and they basically offered us to make a bid.

    What they will require of us, though, and if we can provide it, is up in the air.

    If we make it out of here alive, we can ask for pretty much anything, so everything Bsri can get, we can get, too.
     
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    ^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    G>F

    G confirms our ballsy, no nonsense, and non hostile impression. That should be good.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Emm if they will wish for money no problem we can hire, if they ask smt like give back inventor it becomes tricky. If its money we hire, if inventor politely inform them that her demise in current circumstances is not profitable etc etc.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    Since knocking him out seems to be leading, what is the plan after that? I presume it is to hire these guys straight away, right? Even if they sit this one out (and that's an if), we would still have to carry him out of here and that just might raise some suspicions. Unless we take him hostage to ensure our exit.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't think it is going to work. He is not so important as to warrant letting us go with all the financial records and witnesses.

    Yes, if they won't let us pass out of amusement (why would they want to get involved with Pathfinders?), let's hire them.

    I'd assume they will state their terms in that case and we'll have to choose whether to agree or not.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    Oh, I was talking about his own guards, not the mercs. He's the head honcho around here, why wouldn't his own guards let us go if we are holding a knife at his throat? I suppose they could try something stupid, but this guys doesn't strike me as someone that would inspire a lot of loyalty. Except with money, but dead men pay no salary.

    That last point might even work with the mercs - if on one side they have our money and the king's gratitude and on the other side only a dead traitor, they might be more open for negotiations. Though I do worry about what they could be asking apart from simple gold (fuck gold).
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    I will close the vote in about five hours on so. Update will be within 12 hrs of that.

    Edit:

    Alright vote closed. G takes it. The update should be out some time in the next 12 hrs.
     
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,194
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Better vote then. C>F
     
    ^ Top  
  13. GreyViper Erudite

    GreyViper
    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2011
    Messages:
    1,298
    Location:
    Estonia
    D>G I think is better
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 12: Mind Games

    "Milord do you really wish to trust these mercenaries with the location of the girl? If you desire more protection then the three of us can provide then simply give the order and I will rouse some of the men!" Bari is doing his best but he is not succeeding.

    Ceannard takes another long sip from his drink. He scans the room with a disinterested eye, his gaze finds you, he stares at you as he speaks, "It is odd Ullr that you allow your subordinates to be so bold. Are you not worried that it might send the wrong message? Perhaps you should punish this dwarf... remind him who exactly is in charge here?"

    Ullr squints for a moment then begins to nod, "Yes. Yes, you have to pay for your insolence!"

    You are almost certain now that Ceannard is influencing Ullr; implanting suggestions within his mind. What bothers you is that you can not feel the man casting. You have no idea how he is doing it.

    Ullr marches over to his desk. He practically rips one of the drawers out. Reaching inside he withdraws a knife and rounds the desk heading directly for Bari.

    You feel someone casting.

    Thaïs steps around behind you.

    For a moment Ullr stops.

    Thaïs has sent him a compulsion.

    Ceannard looks past you at her, his thin smile grows.

    Ullr shakes his head and continues to advance on Bari.

    You think you understand what is going on here. For Ceannard this is a game. He is going to try and provoke a fight between the dwarves and he is daring you to try and stop him.

    You could play his game and battle him for control of the dwarf, but you do not like being toyed with.

    You decide to end this quickly.

    Ullr is almost upon Bari now. The Pathfinder still projects a submissive air but his hand has been creeping towards his knife. If you do not act, he will.

    You are not sure what will happen when you do this. You just hope your friends will be ready.

    You focus on Ullr, his mind is already so heavily compromised that it should not be difficult to neutralize him.

    You hit him with an assault spell. The dwarf's head rocks backward on his thick neck as he wobbles on his heels. For a split second he is balanced there, hardly touching the ground.

    Then he falls.

    He hits the floor with a dull thud.

    Immediately you turn your attention to the Black Arrows.

    Ceannard stares at you and you catch the slightest hint of surprise in his eyes. It is wonderfully satisfying.

    Ceannard does not move, neither does the large guard with him.

    Otto however is half way through notching an arrow.

    Instinctively you lash out with another assault spell.

    It seems Thaïs had the same idea as you feel her cast behind you.

    The poor captain lets out a slight whine as you knock him off his feet.

    "Well I must admit of all the moves you could have made, I did not expect that one," you had worried that Ceannard would react violently to your attack. Instead he seems thoroughly amused, "So now what? Are you going to try and carry Ullr unconscious back through the lower floors? Given how much he knows about the dealings of House Eberhardt they would likely kill you all rather than see him carried off."

    Admittedly you had not thought that far ahead, though an idea does occur to you, "Perhaps we could hire your services to aid in our escape?"

    Ceannard nods slowly, you have a feeling he is weighing his odds as you speak, "Perhaps you could. Perhaps you could."

    You wait in silence for him to say more, but he seems content to sit in silence contemplating his drink. Finally you can take no more, "Well we have resources, we can pay... how much would you require for a job like this?"

    Ceannard takes another long, slow sip of his drink. When he looks up at you some of his edge is gone, he seems warmer somehow, more inviting, "For a job like this I can not accept common coin," he winks at you, "Even from such a lovely hand as yours."

    You feel a little weak in the knees. He is just so dashing...

    Thaïs, sensing that you need a moment, steps up, "Well what would you require to fulfill such a contract?"

    He stands, walks to the bar and tops up his drink. You watch every movement he makes, unable to take your eyes off him.

    When he is once more seated he continues, "Well my dear lady," he smiles at her and you feel a little sick, "A client of mine has informed me that you have in your care a certain individual, I would require their presence."

    He must mean Meletē... it seems like a fair trade... she has caused nothing but problems...

    You manage to turn your head slightly in an attempt to gauge Thaïs' reaction to the idea.

    What you see fills you with rage, the way she is looking at him... making eyes at him... you have a sudden urge to tear her eyes out. She notices you staring and gives you a look of complete contempt and hatred.

    Instinctively you reach for your knife... she reaches for hers... this might not end well for either of you but you are simply too angry to stop now.

    How dare she! How dare she come between you and...

    and...

    and a man you have known less than ten minutes?

    Thaïs is your closest and dearest friend, Ceannard you hardly know. Yet you feel an almost overwhelming desire to attack her in 'defence' of your 'relationship' with him.

    It is clear what is going on here.

    Without the dwarf to play with he is toying with you instead. Thankfully you are made of stronger stuff even if his 'magics', whatever they may be, are very subtle.

    You turn from her, though you keep her in your peripheral vision. If she is being influenced as well, and it is not all in your mind, she might still attack.

    You smile sweetly at Ceannard.

    He smiles back.

    You wait until his drink is almost to his face.

    Then you set it on fire.

    Just to make a point.

    He drops the drink and leaps out of his seat, stomping out the flames.

    Immediately any 'feelings' you felt for this man disappear. You cast a quick glance at Thaïs, she shakes her head and frowns at the man. She catches you looking and smiles at you mouthing the words 'thank you'.

    When he looks back up at you he is not smiling, "You could have killed me!"

    You give him a slight smile, patterned on the exact grin he has been sporting all night, "Next time I will."

    His grin reappears, "Well my employer spoke highly of you... I suppose he was right," he shrugs and stalks off to the bar, "At this point I may as well take the whole bottle. Not like Ullr is going to need it when you are done with him."

    Gracefully he hops up on the bar and tips the bottle towards the unconscious dwarf, "He was a long time customer. Bit of a temper but he always paid on time and he was easy to influence... at times I could get him to pay triple the normal rate for a contract."

    Thaïs, clearly still annoyed at the man, speaks up, "So you tried to help him out of a sense of loyalty?"

    He shrugs, "No, I did it to see if I could. If you could not resist a little mind control you would hardly be worth my time. Congratulations, you both passed. Most people would have attacked immediately," he bows his head slightly, "My apologies to you both. It is not a test I like to administer but one I felt was necessary given the sort of job we are discussing."

    "Well, congratulations to you as well," you cross you arms, "You have just lost a potential customer."

    He tilts his head slightly, "Well there are always more opportunities. However it might be wise to hear me out."

    You ignore the man, "Bari, can we throw Ullr in a sack or something?"

    The Pathfinder snaps his fingers, "I know just the ploy to get him out of here. One second, I will be right back," he rushes to the door but stops before turning the handle, "You two will be fine till I get back?"

    You both nod, Thaïs answers, "Yes Bari, we will be fine now. Just hurry back."

    Ceannard does not seem too put off by your attempts to ignore him, in fact he continues speaking as if you were giving him your full attention. The man is confident if nothing else, "The individual whose presence I require is not your inventor friend. Frankly I do not care what happens to her now. No, I wish to meet another friend of yours... blonde... beautiful... about, oh, a head tall..."

    The two of you give him your full attention after that, "What do you know about her?" you are suddenly keenly aware of Nine's presence. Nestled in the bottom of your pack sleeping her eternity away like usual.

    He takes a swig from his bottle, "Well I don't know much about her at all. But my current employer has given me a brief description and he would very much like to meet her. So that is my price. If you want my expert help in slipping out of here then you will give her to me. Otherwise you are on your own."

    Thaïs takes a couple hesitant steps towards the man, "Did your employer say she had to come alone? Can we go with her?"

    He lifts his gaze to the roof in contemplation, "Clever. He did not actually say one way or the other. If you want to go with her I can see no reason to refuse your request," when he once more lowers his gaze it is directed at you, "Those are the terms then. I can get you out of here easily but in exchange you will either hand over your friend within two days or you may accompany her to see my employer. Should you break the terms of this contract you will have made an enemy of the Black Arrows and my employer... that is not something you want, trust me."

    Bari slips back into the room and sets about stuffing Ullr into a large sack. When he finishes he joins the two of you, dragging Ullr in his sack behind him, "So ready to go Derryth? I figure we can steal a few servants' uniforms and sneak out through the back door with the 'dirty laundry'," he gives the bag a kick and chuckles to himself, "a classic ploy, works every time, well almost every time..." he trails off when he notices Ceannard gazing intently at you, "Something going on?"

    The Pathfinder and the mercenary each stare at you waiting for an answer as Otto groans and slowly sits up.


    A) You accept the deal and agree to give him Nine within two days.

    B) You accept the deal and agree to go with Nine within two days. List who you want to take with you if you choose this option. The dwarves will be busy setting up the trial and the 'witnesses' so it will just be you, Thaïs, and the girls to choose from.

    C) You accept the deal but intend to betray them.

    D) Refuse the deal and simply leave, you want nothing to do with the Arrows or their current employer.

    E) Refuse the deal and attack the Black Arrows, you do not trust them not to interfere. You will aim to incapacitate them and tie them up.

    F) Refuse the deal and attack the Black Arrows, you do not trust them not to interfere. You will kill them if you can.

    G) freeform
     
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    For some reason I think that their current employer is the guy behind the eagles. Again, I've no reason to think this beyond the fact that the eagles and the crows have been the only known observers of us during our journey here, and the Black Arrows don't seem like the Watcher's style.

    If we agree to go with these guys, do we get to choose the destination, or do they? Do we get to set terms on how many of their side meet with us?

    Also is it merely a meeting they want with Nine, or do they want to take her away for good?

    I also think that they will not let us leave right now without the head, since that seems to be their main charge right now.

    I'm not going to vote right now but I'm leaning towards either B or E
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Hmm. Giving him Nine seems monumentally shprt sighted and foolish. I'd say the Black Arrows are connected to the person or people behind the crows. This is an important decision. More input is needed.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Ceannard does seem like the Deceiver's style, and given the hatred between those two, it would make sense. If the Watcher is 'alive' after being shattered into hundreds of stone pieces, then why the Deceiver couldn't be? Immortality in this setting is a truly terrifying power.

    It would also explain their interest in Nine, given that the Deceiver was the one who made her into a talking head.

    However, weren't crows associated with the Soulblighter, first and foremost?

    I am leaning towards B. Fangshi, can we ask Nine's opinion on this?
     
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    ^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    As far as you know once you are all clear of the compound they will tell you where to meet them in two days time and they will simply leave. They have no intention of following you back to the Pathfinder safehouse and Bari would not let them even if they did.

    Sure. Ceannard is willing to meet you alone if required as well. He knows a nice little restaurant if you require a public meeting place as well.


    Feel free to suggest as many stipulations as you like. I will tell you if the Arrows agree to them or not. They only seem concerned with getting Nine really, whether that should be cause for concern or comforting well we will see...

    Also the Arrows do not know you currently have Nine with you. Derryth is fairly certain it would be bad if they found out.

    Feel free to ask the Arrows whatever you want. They might even answer some of your questions.

    Not right now unless you want the Arrows to find out you have her.
     
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    ^ Top  
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Crows were associated with Soulblighter before, but, you know, they're a fairly common tool of the scheming wizard. That and the only time we've seen them, they've been in service to the Watcher's people. Unless we're talking about an alliance with multiple Fallen Lords here.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Huh, I thought Ceannard have caught on to this fact.

    Then I guess it might be better to just leave? They will not kill/betray us just to lose this precious information, although we will be setting ourselves for the meeting on their terms later.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    I wonder how grateful House Eberhardt would be if they helped catch you? Grateful enough to give you to the Arrows? I wonder... :lol:
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Do you wish to simply meet with my charge, or do you wish her to depart from my company permanently?

    What guarantees do I have that you and your employer will not resort to violence during the meeting?

    Can you identify your employer? If not, can you give an indication of their capabilities?
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    What do you think our chances of getting out of here without their help are? If we've got a good chance, there's no sense incurring a debt with them.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    "Well my employer is not the most trusting individual. I simply know that he wishes to meet with her, what happens after that is none of my concern unless further payment is forthcoming."

    "None," he grins.

    He scratches the back of his head and gives you an embarrassed smile, "Well, he has never actually given me a name. He is quite wealthy though and he seems quite powerful," he pauses for a moment, "He is always muttering about crows though... it is a bit weird to be honest."
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Then after the meeting begins, we will be fully free to employ you on our behalf? Could we do that... pre-emptively?
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.