Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

GreyViper

Prophet
Sure, he will definitely owe you if you help him. So he readily agrees to your condition, one favour or reward of equal value to be collected at the time of your choosing provided you succeed in helping him.

Of course you are ultimately trusting him to keep his word. If he is who he says he is then you will not have the power to force him to do anything he does not want to do once he has recovered.
Great then in that case three wishes like stories of old. And first would be collected before entering Nines mind.
Edit. Id like to wait and listen what others would like to get as first prize.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
He is amused by the idea of you treating him like the ancient jinn.

He agrees, three 'wishes' with the first to be collected before you enter Nine's mind.

He asks you what you would like but he warns you that just like in the old stories you may have to be quite clear and careful in how you phrase your request. :smug:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yep. This proves that he is the gen-u-wine article. Only ancient wizards have that level of troll.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't like this F idea of keeping a lifeline. I think Derryth and Thais would complement each other within Nine's mind, more than harm. F hedges too much and will likely just fail. We're going to want at least some assistance whilst we're in Nine's mind, if only because two dice rolls are far better than one.

As for rewards, let's brainstorm a bit. We don't want to receive something he can easily take away, or that is of immense value to him, like a powerful artifact.

Some possible ideas:
  • Identification of all our magical gear. The risk with this is that it may tempt him into robbing us blind, so could be just as bad or worse as what I said above.
  • Magical instruction. I think we're going to receive a bit of this anyway before entering, so the value of this is questionable.
  • A spellbook with loads of powerful magic, and his basic instruction on interpreting it. I believe the instruction component is why we haven't been able to use the spellbooks we've found on the road. We'd need to spend a lot of time in study. This could cut it down significantly and let us have more magical capability.
  • Magical augmentation of our body to be better at something. Again, trust is an issue.
  • Apprenticeship without being under his direct command, letting us have the agency we desire to grow our own powerbase.
  • The creation of a magical staff to significantly bolster our spellcasting abilities.
Each of these ideas would need to be reworded against any djinn trickery.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Let us enter his mind unguarded, let' see if he trusts us as much as he wants us to trust him.

Baltika9

Arcane
Everything on that list has trust issues. And you want the most powerful wizard alive to identify or gear? :lol: That's just waisting resources, dude, and insulting to boot.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Given what we've just heard of the mind's immune response to intrusion, going into his mind sounds like a really bad idea.

Everything on that list has trust issues. And you want the most powerful wizard alive to identify or gear? :lol: That's just waisting resources, dude, and insulting to boot.
Brainstorming, not endorsement.

Baltika9

Arcane
Fangshi, instead of LARPing Alladin with him, can we instead ask for apprenticeship with him? Actual apprenticeship, none of this gopher crap he's using the poor girl for.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck it. Flopping to D.
What the hell? Why?!

Fuck it, flopping to C>A. If people can't see the obvious trap that comes with going together, it is better not to go at all.

C or bust.

I thought people would be more careful after our visit to Melete's workshop, but what do you know? The same guys are pushing for D now. What can possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Fangshi, instead of LARPing Alladin with him, can we instead ask for apprenticeship with him? Actual apprenticeship, none of this gopher crap he's using the poor girl for.

Umm... that is an actual apprenticeship... :lol:

You spend years, maybe decades doing boring and/or dangerous tasks for the promise of power. It is essentially slavery. There is a good reason why most of the great archmages do not have recorded masters. They did it themselves, cause no one is going to give it to you willingly.

Henry was actually a fairly kind master all things considered and the schools do exist for legitimate reasons... they curb some of the worst excesses masters can get up to though they also limit what you can learn. For their your safety, you understand. ;)

Perhaps you would prefer some sort of mentorship program where he gives you the odd lesson when you both have time? When/if he gets back on his feet he will have a lot to do. He is not going to spend his time teaching you unless you want to drop everything and travel around with him.

Current Tally:

Azira D>C
Kz3r0 F>C?>A?
asxetos D
Smashing Axe C>A>B
Grimgravy A>D
Nevill C>A
Jester E
Baltika9 C
GreyViper F
Zero Credibility A>C
Cassidy C

Pre Flop:

A) 2 votes
B)
C) 4 votes
D) 2 votes
E) 1 vote
F) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A)
B)
C) 6 votes?
D) 3 votes
E) 1 vote
F) 1 vote

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, that mentorship thing will work for me. Spending all our time under another master isn't preferable with all the stuff we have going on.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Mentorship relies on our success, and on our cooperation with this guy. Better to take something immediately advantageous and use the other two "wishes" later.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Current Tally:

Azira D>C
Kz3r0 F
asxetos D
Smashing Axe C>A>B
Grimgravy A>D
Nevill C>A
Jester E
Baltika9 D
GreyViper F

Pre Flop:

A) 1 vote
B)
C) 2 votes
D) 3 votes
E) 1 vote
F) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A) 3 votes
B)
C)
D) 3 votes
E) 1 vote
F) 2 votes
If F doesn't win I am going to vote A again, D s too dangerous for my tastes.
Unless we all agree on C.

Baltika9

Arcane
Fine, fine. Flopping back to C. The only reason I was voting D was to mind-meld with Thais, Mazzarin and his apprentice.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Fangshi, does Mazzarin know the secrets of lesbomancy?

Afraid not.

Nine however is a master of many fields of magic.

You need but ask, to find out. ;)

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Okay then, consider the question asked.

She is afraid she has never heard of the field. :smug:

I suppose you could try asking Thaïs while you are embarrassing yourself in front of the archmages.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Probably not. We'll just have to practice together later.

Right, will add as an option then.

2. Do you 'study' the lost art of Lesbomancy with Thaïs?

A) Yes!!!

B) No...

C) freeform

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DAFUQ? This thread have finally succumbed to the Bioware Dark.
2A, sure.

He asks you what you would like but he warns you that just like in the old stories you may have to be quite clear and careful in how you phrase your request.
Can we wish for "an adventure like none we've experienced before"? :bounce:

Also, I know we aren't the greatest experts, but can we/Nine/Lyssa estimate our chances to survive a mind meld, if that happens?

A > C

Simply put, I don't like this situation and I agree with Nevill that it is very strange that this guy is talking through some witch in the middle of nowhere trying to get us to help him. Is he even who he says he is? And even if he is, is he even more insane than the Watcher now? The Watcher was ready to promise us everything as well. Hell, I'm not sure giving Nine her memories and letting her cast spells again is even a good idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom