Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    From what you have seen you doubt they have an items or artefacts around though they may have something hidden away.

As for spells, techniques and the like. Yes they do. They might even be willing to share them but they want you to commit to doing this first. They don't really have a reason to trust you right now after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So what help can we count on if we agree to the task?

:what:
    Flopping to Cassidy's 2C. Can we wish for it?

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They will teach the two of you what they can to fortify your mind and better navigate Nine's mental landscape. They will show you how to set up the ritual and cast it. Beyond that you will be on your own unless you take them with you. Mazzarin has a fairly broad understanding of magic in general as well and may be able to give you pointers in a particular field should you ask him to.

From the way he is being indirect with you. You think that he wants you to burn through a favour asking for more knowledge and training, Derryth thinks it might not be a bad idea but she hates being manipulated like that.

That falls under shape shifting so you would have to find someone that knows that lost art or the Dream that describes it.

If Soulblighter were still around he could teach you. The Deciever was fond of saying that 'he was a man to every woman and a woman to every man' though that was probably slander and more out of spite than anything else. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Is this up to a vote? I am all for asking it. A favor is never wasted if we are alive in the end. I do not regret 100 WP spent on the Black Arrows - it helped us decide to come here and avoid rash moves. Similarly, I do not think the training would be out of place, be it manipulation or not.

Besides, if we restore him to the former power, it would be hard to ask for very significant favors anyway.

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    If it is agreed upon then yes.

If you agree to help you have three favours you can call in, one of which you get to claim before you enter Nine's mind if you so wish. I am leaving it open to the voters. Come to a consensus (or at least a majority) about what you want, come up with the phrasing of your 'wish' and he will either grant it or tell you that it is not within his power to do so. If you can not come up with anything then you can always save the favour for later, it makes no difference to him.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Calling guys who are voting C either as their primary or a secondary vote: Azira, Kz3r0, Smashing Axe, Baltika9, Zero Credibility, Cassidy.

3. If you agree to the task, do you want to collect one of the favors before venturing in?

A. Yes (state the favor).
    B. No (leave it up for later).
    C. Freeform.

I'll be voting for 3A (get magic training that would help us survive in the Dreamland), but I'd better leave the exact phrasing of the wish to native speakers lest I overlook something.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Alright, I'm making my vote CAA-Nevill.

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm up for this as well.

As to the lesbomancy vote, I couldn't care less. Sorry, Baltika9.

^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    3. If you agree to the task, do you want to collect one of the favors before venturing in?

A. Yes (state the favor).

To guide us in his mind both as a gesture of good will and as a form of magical training for when we will enter Nine's mind.

And lesbomancy of course.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I really, really don't want us to go lesbian here. I prefer Thais as a close friend other than anything else. Strong, strong no here.

That and I've seen quests on /tg/ derailed terribly by lesbianism before.

2 B)
    3 A)
    Although I very much doubt that "Mazzarin" would neglect to provide us with the training necessary to survive, since it is very much in his interests to do so, I can't really think of anything else we could learn here. Phrasing is difficult.

Perhaps this? Nevill

Provide me with all the equipment, knowledge and training you are capable of giving within a 24 hour period total, prioritised in a descending order of utility with respect to Thais and Derryth successfully and safely delving through Nine's mind, with a secondary prioritisation of the most powerful spells we are capable of learning and casting that not only have the likely potential of aiding us in delving through Nine's mind safely, but also have a useful application outside of this, namely, defeating and controlling enemy combatants.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Good enough.

The phrasing reminds me of this comic, though.

The mage is not a literal genie, so there might not be a need to be that precice. A lot of this can be avoided if you just add him acting in good faith to your request. Since if he won't, there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

We just need to prioritize these in the right order:
    1. Our safety (since there can be a second attempt if the first one fails, but the minds are preserved).
    2. Success of the venture when it comes to the primary goal (securing the secret of the immortality).
    3. Success of everything else (restoring Nine's memories, lifting the rune, overall mental training, etc).

Everything that keeps us safe should come before the mission.

Well, he never needed you to be here. He only needed Nine.

Though our failure could very well mean his, if we fail in a spectacular way.

^ Top  
  12. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Hmm would be more interested to get him to tell his story.

So thats one of 3 for me.
    Something like tell me your life story.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Do we have to listen to his story before the mission? That hardly strikes me as something time-sensitive.

^ Top  
  14. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    edited post

I am against using it before mission, if i have to would choose give some pointers when you will have time.

^ Top  
  15. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    What the.. alright might come handy.
    C Yes invite Lyssa to try out new type magic.
    >While practicing Lesbomancy threesome, try to read Lyssa and see if she could be charmed to our cause.

So later past afterglow what we want is to talk to Lyssa and inquire, when shes the vessel will Mazzarin be able to read all of her memories and thoughts. If yes drop the subject if not then comfort her and explain with Mazzarin restored what ever she was promised later she "would spend years, maybe decades doing boring and/or dangerous tasks for the promise of power." It would be essentially slavery. That it is such a shame, because she has some talent and she would make good member of your circle and with Derryth help she could harness some of Mazzarin power before he comes to full strength. And if shes interested you would like to propose a plan....

To be continued depending on her answer.

PS. borrowed a line from Fangshi

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Amending my 2 vote to A>C (any).

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    If you want to try and seduce/recruit the apprentice of the most powerful mage to walk the world you certainly can try.

He might not take it very well though. From his perspective you would be undermining him and that might have consequences.

But it would be a very mage-like thing to do so I salute you for that if nothing else. ;)

(She might in theory even know how to transfer that rune on Nine's forehead to someone else... say her incapacitated and harsh master... :lol:)

So currently we have three four proposed wishes correct? With Magical Training in the lead? I can give it another 24hrs if you would like more time to discuss.

1. Magical training: 4 votes (5 votes with Jester's flop)

2. A guided tour through his mind as a show of good faith: 1 vote

3. His life's story to be told after you successfully run Nine's mind: 1 vote

4. Animal training, Lyssa will show you the spells neccesary to control animals and train them as scouts/spies/messengers. 1 vote

Don't suppose I could get out of this by saying I was joking? :lol:

Current Tally:

Azira D>C
    Kz3r0 F>C>A
    asxetos D
    Smashing Axe C>A>B
    Grimgravy A>D
    Nevill C>A
    Jester E
    Baltika9 C
    GreyViper F
    Zero Credibility A>C
    Cassidy C

Pre Flop:

A) 2 votes
    B)
    C) 4 votes
    D) 2 votes
    E) 1 vote
    F) 2 votes

Post Flop:

A)
    B)
    C) 6 votes
    D) 3 votes
    E) 1 vote
    F) 1 vote

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nope.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Only if you compensate by making a scene of our training in a more mundane magic school sufficiently hot.

^ Top  
  20. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yes. Drop the lesbomancy thing, or I'll lobby for a "pray" option. :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Go ahead Azira, I'll vote in favor of that too.

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I am fairly certain the lesbomancy is the PRAY option...

:mhd:

I regret everything...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    So... It requires more than two thirds majority. Right? Right?

^ Top  
  24. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Yeah sure lets try to seduce/recruit Lyssa. Idea being to set up trap/geas in Lyssas mind for Mazzarin, later transfer that rune on Nine's forehead.

As to wishes.

1st Either about the ability to control animals or knowledge how to use mandrake roots more effectively

2nd and third were meant to used as like fate points, when you really really need help from arch mage.

Also he should know about immortality and "Dreams" was it?

^ Top  
  25. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    As far as i am concern you can.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.