Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hell, I'm not sure giving Nine her memories and letting her cast spells again is even a good idea.
This is why I am voting to try and go in alone to decide it for ourselves. I think we can even do one, but not the other, if we really wanted to.

Regardless of who the guy is, he is acting against the Watcher, and he is powerful. I'd say that is a good incentive to consider helping him here... somewhat.

I have a feeling that turning down a powerful and desperate mage might prove just as dangerous as going through with his plan.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Also, I know we aren't the greatest experts, but can we/Nine/Lyssa estimate our chances to survive a mind meld, if that happens?

Well that is the thing. You don't survive a mind meld. You cease to exist as an individual and become an amalgamation of the memories, attitudes, etc of all parties involved. If your mind gets entangled that is it for Derryth more or less (there are a few moves you could maybe try and make but it is all very theoretical and of little use at the moment).

Now the new consciousness can express itself in a few ways. It would probably have about a 50% chance of simply falling apart and going feral, everyone dies, the end. It has a further forty percent chance of going completely insane in which case this new hivemind becomes an NPC and a new threat to the world. Finally there is maybe a 10% chance that the personalities involved integrate in such a way as to provide enough stability to continue to function (in which case you would have the option to continue on with this new creature and try to make things work) though it is difficult to say for how long such a being could exist without being killed or going completely mad.

Everyone of the assembled mages agrees, an actual fusing of your minds would be a very bad thing.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Do the chances of failure not depend on the number of minds involved? I'd assume a creature combined of two mortal minds (like ours and Thais'/Lyssa's) would have better odds of staying sane than if we melded with an unholy abomination like Nine/'Mazzarin'.

Or do you mean that if we meld, we meld with Nine's mind first, since she is the center of this Dream World?

Last edited:
I think that all those ancient mages, heroes and villains both are better off left dead and/or forgotten. They are the reason behind the cycles of light and darkness and will continue the same thing if given a chance. Let the cycle really be broken this time, let the new generation make their own fuckups from this point.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Or if we meld, we meld with Nine's mind first, since she is the center of this Dream World?

Nine's mind serves as the base, so you would be rather insane to begin with. Then stack on the trauma of the 'mixing' and any tendencies towards insanity that the other minds would have and you get a fairly crazy new 'person' no matter what.

In theory though yes an fusion of two 'healthy' minds would be more stable but you would still take a fairly big SAN hit and Derryth would still cease to exist so it is not something she is even willing to contemplate.

Nevill

Arcane
I think that all those ancient mages, heroes and villains both are better off left dead and/or forgotten.
But that's the problem. They refuse to stay dead. The Watcher is alive enough to corrupt the minds of mortals. Shiver - or something like her - came back from the dead to fight for the Soulbligher. The Summoner have resurrected the race of Myrkridia and unleashed them on the world once again.

In this world, death is not permanent. We might as well accept this fact after encountering three immortals and one goddess on our journey.

I agree with your sentiment, but the immortals and the artefacts long forgotten have helped us win the last war. They are too indispensable to our survival to be ditched like that, because if we don't use them, the other side will eventually pick them up. It would be hard to break that vicious circle.

Zero Credibility, the only important issue in this vote is Lesbomancy with Thais: yes or no.
There is also a freeform option, two kids, and a witch. And a head. It does not have to be that simple.

Last edited:
Well actually, I'm hoping this LP wont go full Bioware. A little tasteful lesbianism is perfectly ok when appropriate, I'm just not sure that right this moment that is the case.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi, do Lyssa and 'Mazzarin' have spells, techniques, items, artefacts or tomes that would help us on our mission, should we undertake it? Something that boosts WIS, or some mantra that keeps the mind steady, anything would do. They should know that if something untoward happens they risk losing access to the information they seek.

An ancient mage should know a trick or two.

Fangshi

Arcane
From what you have seen you doubt they have an items or artefacts around though they may have something hidden away.

As for spells, techniques and the like. Yes they do. They might even be willing to share them but they want you to commit to doing this first. They don't really have a reason to trust you right now after all.

Nevill

Arcane
As for spells, techniques and the like. Yes they do. They might even be willing to share them but they want you to commit to doing this first. They don't really have a reason to trust you right now after all.
So what help can we count on if we agree to the task?

2C - Find the Myth universe's equivalent of the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity and wear it.
:what:
Flopping to Cassidy's 2C. Can we wish for it?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
So what help can we count on if we agree to the task?

They will teach the two of you what they can to fortify your mind and better navigate Nine's mental landscape. They will show you how to set up the ritual and cast it. Beyond that you will be on your own unless you take them with you. Mazzarin has a fairly broad understanding of magic in general as well and may be able to give you pointers in a particular field should you ask him to.

From the way he is being indirect with you. You think that he wants you to burn through a favour asking for more knowledge and training, Derryth thinks it might not be a bad idea but she hates being manipulated like that.

Flopping to Cassidy's 2C. Can we wish for it?

That falls under shape shifting so you would have to find someone that knows that lost art or the Dream that describes it.

If Soulblighter were still around he could teach you. The Deciever was fond of saying that 'he was a man to every woman and a woman to every man' though that was probably slander and more out of spite than anything else. ;)

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
From the way he is being indirect with you. You think that he wants you to burn through a favour asking for more knowledge and training, Derryth thinks it might not be a bad idea but she hates being manipulated like that.
Is this up to a vote? I am all for asking it. A favor is never wasted if we are alive in the end. I do not regret 100 WP spent on the Black Arrows - it helped us decide to come here and avoid rash moves. Similarly, I do not think the training would be out of place, be it manipulation or not.

Besides, if we restore him to the former power, it would be hard to ask for very significant favors anyway.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Is this up to a vote? I am all for asking it. A favor is never wasted if we are alive in the end. I do not regret 100 WP spent on the Black Arrows - it helped us decide to come here and avoid rash moves. Similarly, I do not think the training would be out of place, be it manipulation or not.

If it is agreed upon then yes.

If you agree to help you have three favours you can call in, one of which you get to claim before you enter Nine's mind if you so wish. I am leaving it open to the voters. Come to a consensus (or at least a majority) about what you want, come up with the phrasing of your 'wish' and he will either grant it or tell you that it is not within his power to do so. If you can not come up with anything then you can always save the favour for later, it makes no difference to him.

Nevill

Arcane
Calling guys who are voting C either as their primary or a secondary vote: Azira, Kz3r0, Smashing Axe, Baltika9, Zero Credibility, Cassidy.

3. If you agree to the task, do you want to collect one of the favors before venturing in?

A. Yes (state the favor).
B. No (leave it up for later).
C. Freeform.

I'll be voting for 3A (get magic training that would help us survive in the Dreamland), but I'd better leave the exact phrasing of the wish to native speakers lest I overlook something.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Calling guys who are voting C either as their primary or a secondary vote: Azira, Kz3r0, Smashing Axe, Baltika9, Zero Credibility, Cassidy.

3. If you agree to the task, do you want to collect one of the favors before venturing in?

B. No (leave it up for later).
C. Freeform.

I'll be voting for 3A (get magic training that would help us survive in the Dreamland), but I'd better leave the exact phrasing of the wish to native speakers lest I overlook something.

I'm up for this as well.

As to the lesbomancy vote, I couldn't care less. Sorry, Baltika9.

Kz3r0

Arcane

To guide us in his mind both as a gesture of good will and as a form of magical training for when we will enter Nine's mind.

And lesbomancy of course.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I really, really don't want us to go lesbian here. I prefer Thais as a close friend other than anything else. Strong, strong no here.

That and I've seen quests on /tg/ derailed terribly by lesbianism before.

2 B)
3 A)
Although I very much doubt that "Mazzarin" would neglect to provide us with the training necessary to survive, since it is very much in his interests to do so, I can't really think of anything else we could learn here. Phrasing is difficult.

Perhaps this? Nevill

Provide me with all the equipment, knowledge and training you are capable of giving within a 24 hour period total, prioritised in a descending order of utility with respect to Thais and Derryth successfully and safely delving through Nine's mind, with a secondary prioritisation of the most powerful spells we are capable of learning and casting that not only have the likely potential of aiding us in delving through Nine's mind safely, but also have a useful application outside of this, namely, defeating and controlling enemy combatants.

Nevill

Arcane
Good enough.

The phrasing reminds me of this comic, though.

The mage is not a literal genie, so there might not be a need to be that precice. A lot of this can be avoided if you just add him acting in good faith to your request. Since if he won't, there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

We just need to prioritize these in the right order:
1. Our safety (since there can be a second attempt if the first one fails, but the minds are preserved).
2. Success of the venture when it comes to the primary goal (securing the secret of the immortality).
3. Success of everything else (restoring Nine's memories, lifting the rune, overall mental training, etc).

Everything that keeps us safe should come before the mission.

3 A) Although I very much doubt that "Mazzarin" would neglect to provide us with the training necessary to survive, since it is very much in his interests to do so, I can't really think of anything else we could learn here. Phrasing is difficult.
Well, he never needed you to be here. He only needed Nine.

Though our failure could very well mean his, if we fail in a spectacular way.

Jester

Arbiter
Hmm would be more interested to get him to tell his story.

So thats one of 3 for me.
Something like tell me your life story.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Do we have to listen to his story before the mission? That hardly strikes me as something time-sensitive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom