Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    D>E>Ai
    I believe the second door is where the Nine we know is located. If we want her personality to assume full control, I think we either need to destroy these two, or, release Nine. Releasing should be easier than destroying, but I am reminded of the outcome of Shapeshifter vs. Stormbringer from the Black Company. The problem with E is it's very likely the ceiling is going to come down on top of us, and we'd have no one to back us up if we even do succeed in destroying the two. So it's likely a phryric victory at best, TPK at worst.

Failing all that, I prefer a relatively stable martial orientated tyrant to an unstable Fallen Lord being in control of Nine's powers.

(And god, how many Fallen Lords are we in bed with now? One of them is eventually going to perform the equivalent of the ritual of taking on us)

Edit: Info on Ravanna/Voiceless One
    Show Spoiler
    The Deceiver, The Source of Five Hundred Poisons

Your eyes light up, "Now here is a mage! He fought for both the Light and the Dark. Scholar, diplomat, assassin, no one really knows why he agreed to serve Balor. Henry believed that he was a former Avatara by the name of Myrdred he-"

"Myrdred!" Nine shouts from the pillow she is resting on, "That was the bastard's name that did this to me! Oh, if I ever find him!"

The two of you stare at her, "Wait, you knew the Deceiver?"

She blinks twice as you stare at her, "Umm... I guess so yes. The man that did this to me was named Myrdred and it is not like it is a common name or anything..."

You feel the need to ask, "What did you do Nine? Who are you?"

She screws up her lips as she tries to think. After a moment she gives up and smiles at you, "Sorry dear, I don't know. But if we ever find this Myrdred I want to kill him okay?"

"Sorry Nine. Rumour is he died during the last war in a duel with Shiver or at least someone that looked like Shiver. For what it is worth he killed her too."

Nine looks crushed for a moment, "Really? Well I suppose I will get over it... At any rate what else does the book say? Maybe there is an entry on someone else I know."

You look back at the book, "Well the next entry is on Shiver, the Mother of Plagues."

Nine blinks once in understanding, "Even when I was a girl they told stories about her. They called her Culwyeh and Myrdred once called her Ravanna. She was one of the greatest battle mages to ever walk the lands. If she really is dead then the world is better for it."

"If?" Thaïs asks, curiosity and caution battling for control in her.

"Well dear, old Shiver is ancient. She has "died" so many time already. What would be one more? She was beautiful and terrible in equal measure..."

You laugh, "Well if she is still out there somewhere she is not beautiful anymore."

Now Nine is curious, "What do you mean dear?"

You start to lecture, glad to be teaching her something for a change, "Back during the Great War she was killed by Rabican as Thaïs mentioned. She reappeared during the last war but she was greatly diminished... dried out... hideous... and without many of her old powers."

Thaïs hazards a suggestion, "Well maybe it was not really her?"

You shrug, "could be possible," you flip the page again.

"It says here that the Voiceless One was called Ravanna. But didn't you say that, that was Shiver, Nine?"

Nine blinks once in confusion, "Yes, at least I think so. Maybe they were the same person?"

"Well I guess we have a mystery here..." Thaïs adds.

You look from one of them to the other, "Well if we ever run into a Fallen Lord I will be sure to ask right before we are all horribly killed."

They both laugh a little as you turn back to the book, "Well that is it for this appendix though Henry has attached a few notes to the end. Looks like a list of artefacts with short entries scribbled next to each," you read through the list to them both:

The Anvil of Culwyeh - Shiver's tool perhaps. What is it? Dangerous... destroyed?

Now is our chance!

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Ai>D
    "Taking" in what way?

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Not any way you will like. ;)

To be Taken in the books is essentially to be permanently dominated (though there is more to it than that).

^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Well, it comes with immortality, increased magical power, and unnatural toughness. But it involves being intimately cuddled by demons, and unending slavery to one's master. It's a ritual so profane that mundane witnesses mentally block it out for their own sanity.

^ Top  
  5. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Just for the discuss, D is the best choice, not only because that seems to be 'our' Nine but because we need help, E is pretty much suicidal in our state but better than helping one of them, Biii is forthe worst case scenario, if we can't have 'our' Nine let's chose at least the one with fashion sense.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Gotta keep a close watch on this bout of voting, as I feel strongly about the current choice. We fuck up here, Derryth and Thaïs dies.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No. Fuck that, we ought to choose the MOTHERFUCKING AXE WIZARD!
    Hmm. Sounds kinky.

^ Top  
  8. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    I find your lack of glamour unfaboulus.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't understand what is happening at all. Wasn't Ravanna the name of the archmage before Shiver took over, similarly how Soulblighter's was Damas and The Deceiver's was Myrdred? Weren't the wights referred to as 'the messengers of Culwyeh'? Just who was who in that relationship of theirs?

Also, how come that Nine remembers stories about Culwyeh when she was a little girl if she was Culwyeh?
    Then there is a matter of Shiver dying in the battle with The Deceiver, and the hypothesis of that one not being the real Shiver... or that dying is not permanent for her:
    Not sure what this can mean either. It would make sense for a Fallen Lord or an archmage not to be tied to a physical body. The Watcher's is shattered, yet he is very much real and 'alive', and all that is left of The Faceless One is a set of bracers. Maybe they keep dying and usurping the bodies of another to come back from wherever it is they end up after death.

What I do know is that I probably don't want either of them winning and bringing down the whole city with them. Neither the archmage bent on revenge and destruction of her adversaries, nor the playful and sadistic personality with the responsibilities of a five year old kid. I don't think Nine can come sane (uh, okay, it's relative - more sane than them would be the correct way to phrase that) out of this safe for some sort of reconciliation or a truce between them, but we do not have an authority to broker that kind of a truce. I wish Nine were here.

I am torn between saying 'screw this' and running away, as uncharacteristic as it may be, or taking the last-ditch attempt to find Nine. I don't know who this muffled voice belongs to, but I am hopeful.

D for me.

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I find your lack of Axe Appreciation unawesome.

^ Top  
  11. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    D all the way.

Neither of these aspects of Nine's personality (which I assume is what we are dealing with here) is the one I want to see in control. Running away is dubious (run where? and what effect on Nine is that going to have even if we make it?) and I'm pretty sure that attacking them both is pure suicide if we can't even really hurt one of them.

^ Top  
  12. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    The wretch is a failure and a shame for womankind, fluffy tails with a swing always managed to lead thousands of axes in battle, a mere pair is just for tomboys and trannies, hmm, this would explain why you like her.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, tomboys are pretty cool and hot.

^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Could be possible that an extraneous mind is tryng to take control of Nine's mind, or maybe, considering as Fallen Lords were good guys once what we are seeing here is Nine's madness as an Archmage and not only as an effect of the spell cast on her.

^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Yeah, I too appreciate boyish ass as a man, but the pretty girl inside me finds that not very feminine.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Now, let us step back and remember what we were trying to do here in the first place.
    It looks like the blocks upon the memories and the isolation the two archmages spoke about is one and the same thing. What is interesting, though, is that both Ravanna and Culwyeh claim that it was the other who sealed the kingdom:
    I don't think any of them would lie about it, since there is little motive for them to do so, and it appears to piss both of them off. So either the act of struggle itself have decayed Nine's memories (we've seen that as the two wage war, the world turns into a wasteland), or there is something - or someone - else in place that is not willing to let either of them assume control.

Wonder what was up with two Shivers that participated in the wars while Nine was held in captivity under the ruins of Muirthemne.

^ Top  
  17. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    What we see here could also simply be projections from Nine's mind. Memories of her own, representing fragments of her mind, each trying to assert control. Fragments modelled after strong memories/desires, without being the actual being in question.

Or I could just be blowing smoke our my arse. Who knows?

^ Top  
  18. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    D for me too.

^ Top  
  19. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    D - new contestant enters, or mby its a butler.

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Current Tally:

Kipeci E
    Azira D
    Smashing Axe D>E>Ai
    Baltika9 Ai>D
    Kz3r0 D>E>Biii
    Nevill D
    Zero Credibility D
    asxetos D
    Jester D
    Grimgravy C
    GreyViper D

A)
    i. 1 vote
    ii.
    iii.
    B)
    i.
    ii.
    iii.
    C) 1 vote
    D) 8 votes
    E) 1 vote

Post Flop:
    A)
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 9 votes
    E) 1 vote

Looks like the makings of a bandwagon, if the trend continues I might have time to close this one a bit early (provided no one minds). I will check back in 24 hrs and if D still has the commanding lead that it currently does you can expect an update shortly after.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    The bandwagon effect makes me leery. Another TPK in the making. Still, I can't see how any other option would be safer.

I'm all for an early update.

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No, the TPKs are usually the ones that win or lose narrowly by 1 vote.

Think about it - fighting necromancers, checking the workshop, and taking the orb all were pretty divisive, all of them good candidates for a TPK choice.

^ Top  
  23. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    What are the tools at our disposal that we could use most efficiently in free form?

^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You have your full list of spells (as on the character sheet) though you are casting them at half strength.

Thaïs has her full list of spells as well which is almost the same as yours (she has received the same training after all), though she too is casting at half strength.

You both have your weapons and equipment or at least the mental representations of them.

You could probably conjure up mundane items without too much difficulty like you did with your hat. (Anything too big is probably beyond your individual capabilities and both Derryth and Thaïs refuse to collaborate on another spell so soon after the last incident. If they absolutely had to they would but it would be a last resort sort of thing.)

And that is about it really...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.