Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    As for Alric having a permanent solution to the Fallen, I very much doubt it. The guy wouldn't toss in his sleep eaten from the inside by nightmares of their return if he knew how to put an end to them once and for all.

And that's from a dude who put most of them into the ground.

What if we do so unknowingly? We don't know the guy is The Deceiver, right?

Oh, wait, we already did that with Nine. In fact, it was worse with her. We knew she was one of the Fallen (we didn't know she was two of them), and we restored her powers and lifted the magic seal because she was our friend.

We are fucked no matter how we go about this.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Perhaps, but I'd rather be fucked in the "illegal ruins raiding and unknowingly picking up not one, but two immortals and then tried to prevent even more coming back" way than "did all that, then willingly helped a suspected fallen lord resurrect". It may be a small difference, but it's a difference. And as I said, my main reason for wanting to bring in cavalry is that I really believe that our character should have no fucking business even thinking whether they should help this guy or not.

^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Also, Fangshi,

6) After we are done asking TFM the previous questions, ask him what is the favor he requires from us. I would not like to postpone it much further until he deems necessary to enlighten us.

Still, we owe our life to the guy, so if it isn't something outrageous, I'd like to settle it.

The reality of our situation is quite ironic. We are debating whether we really want to resurrect a guy to fight one of the ancient evils if this guy might be a similar evil himself, and whether having two-and-a-half ancient evils on, shall we say, 'relatively our' side would be enough for damage control if something goes wrong. Oh, man. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Balls to the walls?

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Doesn't that mean that you are cornered, though?

^ Top  
  6. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    We pissed of nasty archmage through stone, got one on our wrist we are indebted to, have one in backpack possibly madder than before... would say that we got that cornered part covered. At this point i think that dark ones will attack each other when there is no centre figure like Balor.
    On bright side no one know what we did.

^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We just gotta keep Derryth useful to Nine, Faceless and Mazzarin/Deceiver long enough, that Derryth could conceivably surpass/defeat them.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    For a couple hundreds of years? I'm game!

^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    If this LP has taught me anything, it's that we need to horde artifacts like our life depends on it, then just unleash the magical dakka on anyone who gets in our way. Artifacts will be our key to success in the short-medium term.

^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Waiting on answers.
    Preliminary
    BDD

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    If you ask him that, Derryth is worried he will try and force you to attack Mazzarin. Just to be sure. Are you sure that you can resist that?

The Faceless Man seems to see and hear all that goes on around either of you but he does not have access to your thoughts, as far as you can tell, he does not know that you are starting to think that Mazzarin may be Myrdred.

If you want to ask that question then put it to a vote and if you get more than five votes I will let it play out.

The fact that he has not made a move yet may suggest that he does not think Mazzarin is the Deceiver or it may suggest that he is waiting for something before he does.

She has no one to rely on except Mazzarin and no where to go so she stays, you suspect that she thinks she deserves this fate. He promises her power but she is not optimistic... she hopes... but she does not believe she will make it long.

She refuses to speak about her past. She will only say that this is 'penance'. She seems to serve out of guilt or duty, you can not be sure which.

If you want more than that you will have to force her to speak, or make an offer that provokes her to continue.

Sadly it was lost in my creation's shattered mind. The Whisper Dream disappeared with the death of my creature... well unless Nine still knows it... you should be very careful around her ladies... very careful.

You don't really believe him...

The impressions exist as a great heap of unsorted information. Every now and then you express the desire for something you know you have never tried or to do something you know you have never done. From there it is quite easy to deduce that the impetus is coming from one of your friend's impressions, not your own memories. At the moment these impressions influence you sporadically, but you have only been back in the physical world for an hour or so, so you do not know what long term influence they will have. You suspect that you could fence them off within your mind and prevent them from influencing you should you desire. Most of them are not very powerful. Alternatively you could embrace them and work to organize and integrate them within your mind which probably would change you a little.

The impressions won't cause dramatic shifts in your personalities though. Derryth will not become a master diplomat primarily because she has shown no interest in becoming one. She might realize that a topic would cause discomfort but that does not mean she would avoid it, much of the time she simply does not care. Similarly Thaïs is not going to become some sort of genius problem solver and tomb raider, she might 'remember' the answer to a particular riddle from one of your impressions but she has not put in the work to get her mind to consistently think in that way.

The impressions if properly integrated would give both women further insight into each other. They would probably work together even better than they do now (unless one of those impressions contained something really disturbing that would undermine their trust in each other) so that may be a positive to be taken from this. It may also make them more reliant on each other since they will be even more inclined to seek one another for help. Whether that is an advantage or not who knows?

That you would help him recover. Now that could mean 'resurrecting' him yourself or simply giving him the information. Obviously he would prefer you help him but you would be fulfilling the letter (if not the spirit) of your arrangement in D as well. Lyssa would also probably prefer your help as it would probably increase her chance of living.

Obviously if you go with D then Mazzarin will be less friendly to you in the future than if you go with A but he will not be hostile like he probably will be in B and C.

He says that some day, and that day may never come, he will call upon you to do a service for him. But until that day... consider it a gift... :lol:

He says yes. If the two of you will stop fighting him and let him into your minds he will be able to guide you through the spells to destroy this Mazzarin.

You will be able to do everything you have ever dreamed of.

You will be his new pupils. His greatest pupils.

Just let him in...

Derryth does not want to.

Lyssa manages the eagles from what you can tell.

Current Tally:

Baltika9 AAC
    Smashing Axe A A>B B>C>D
    Kz3R0 DDB
    Azira A>B D>A D>B
    Zero Credibility D>A C>D D
    Jester BAC
    Grimgravy BDD
    Nevill BAD
    GreyViper BAF

A) 3 votes
    B) 4 votes
    C)
    D) 2 votes

A) 5 votes
    B)
    C) 1 vote
    D) 3 votes

A)
    B) 2 votes
    C) 2 votes
    D) 4 votes
    E)
    F) 1 vote

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Whoa. He can actually command us, even in this state? It was one thing to do so in the Dreamland, but I thought he holds no such power in reality.

I am getting rid of those bracers ASAP.

He must have heard Thais, though.

What is it that she expects of her life? What is it that she wants to do with it? What does Derryth think can move her enough to speak?

Do we know how Dreams operate? Are they like normal spells? Can one Dream be known to several people?

Because from what we have observed, they never are. Presumably, it is because the one who wields the Dream does not want anybody else to know it. But maybe there is some mechanics in place that prevents it?

Actually, this is exactly what I hoped for. I suppose one of these times we'll have to put to a vote what to do with this mess... if we stay alive.

Preliminary vote goes to BAD. Hmm... maybe the choices are trying to tell me something. :lol:

^ Top  
  13. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Going to change my vote a bit Fangshi:

A - Take what power we can get, but be much more leery of him in future. We really do need our own defensive capability if we want to survive these scraps we constantly find ourselves in.

A>B - Even if this guy is the Deceiver, if he does screw us we have guards and Faceless to help us GTFO. I don't want him as an enemy, but if we're going to screw him, we should screw him all the way. I don't really care about Lyssa though, and if it is the Deceiver he'd have some contingencies planted in her mind to mess with us. That and we have enough strays for now.

In regards to the consequences, as long as they're not personal I don't care. No one has any reason to connect this guy's rise to us. The Arrows won't blab if they know what's good for them. We could bring back Balor himself so long as the guy is cool with us for all I care. Besides, if this is the Deceiver then Alric can't really get mad at us since this guy was his ally during the last war. At least that's what I tell myself.

B>C>D
    I won't accept any choice here that's time sensitive. And I'm wary of any choice that leaves us drained or more vulnerable to an attack by Mazzarin. If Mazzarin does decide to attack then we don't want to have our Arrow bodyguards weak.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, I just can't justify passing it up. "You can not be sure but you are certain the Faceless Man is up to something and you will accept nothing from him"? Pah! Welcome to the circle of big players. Everyone here schemes. Even the benevolent king Albrecht intends to use us as a tool to stir the hornet's nest of the opposing noble houses. Does that mean we'll be steering clear of his rewards as well?

We just have to be careful - and if we just so happen to fuck up and make a folly, turn it into an opportunity. It happened with Christine, it happened with Melete. Why can't it happen with The Faceless Man as well?

I actually find it kind of amusing. Half a year ago we were nobody, an apprentice to some tomb raider who got himself killed without really achieving anything big. Now our word can bring houses to ruin, and we have caught the attention of cosmic powers that seek to use us in their games or destroy us, while our friends ascend the throne of the Northern Empire. I'd say this is a big promotion.

I don't think they can do anything against him but serve as meatshields anyway. Whatever can resist Mazzarin will have to come from The Faceless Man. He appears to have made an investment in Derryth and Thais, so it is unlikely he'll rent us to another archmage.

^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    A paranoid person might think that perhaps he has been sending you suggestions... that, that is how he has been influencing you through the bracers. That he is moulding you over time... but that couldn't happen right? ;)

Hard to say how powerful he actually is but if you look at the rankings he is up there...

Well then perhaps you have your answer or perhaps he puts greater stock in what Derryth thinks... hard to say really...

She expects death.

She wants forgiveness.

You tell me what will move her. :lol:

You don't know how Dreams operate. You don't know if they are like normal spells. You suspect that several people can know the same dream, the Shades during the war all seemed to know the Dispersal Dream and it is one of the confirmed Dreams that Alric has. You can't think of any reason why multiple mages could not know the same Dream other than the tendency of mages to horde things for themselves and kill everyone else.

I will add it to the list of options when you next have some downtime.

^ Top  
  16. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    A swarm of wasps while perhaps not life-threatening, is still really, really distracting. I think you're giving them less credit than they're due. They're prepared to die for their mission, especially now that their honour has been challenged. Sure they might not survive, but they'll definitely increase our chances of doing so. I like the guys honestly, they still strike me as very Black Company.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That's exactly his Modus Operandi, subtly influencing his victims to do his bidding.
    :negative:

But she will not find forgiveness with Mazzarin. I take it that you are trying to say that we must invite her to go with us if we want to separate them.

Wonder what will the mage have to say if we request this as one of the favors he promised. After restoring himself, will he really need an apprentice to do all the work for him?

He tried to mess with us when he had no real reason to. I'll shed no tears for them.

^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. You can not be certain of her motivations and she does not really know you well enough to tell you anything more at the moment.

If you want it as an option if you revive him I can include it. He would probably grant it if you used one of your favours up.

Well he could have gotten Nine far more easily if one of you had caved in. For him it was the quickest way to get the job done.

^ Top  
  19. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    BA
    F Modified Lyssa's Blood and a chained Heal spell: You will let Lyssa drain herself to fuel the spell. You will cast it while she bleeds out but as soon as you are done you will cast a Heal spell on her. You might be quick enough to save her. You will draw on Thaïs to cast the Heal spell as you will not have enough power to cast it yourself. This will likely leave all three of you in weakened condition for at least a day. And you ask the second reward for Lyssa, pointing out that with his form restored he can get a new novice anyway.

Although I still think we should do the same thing and go after his knowledge and offer Lyssa part in our circle. Faceless Man should know how to extract the information.

Btw I find it amusing that after burning down half the dwarven city, your getting cold feet from a gift.

^ Top  
  20. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Anyone knows if twelve wisdom is a new boost after the last update or not?

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    It was from the strengthen will spell, which was cast just prior to the mind exploration update, IIRC.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    That is correct. It is from the ritual and is only temporary. It will wear off shortly in an hour or two at most.

Given the way mages boost their own stats in the setting I am still playing around with how the information will be displayed on the character sheet. (Provided she actually makes it to archmage status she will probably have half a dozen spell effects active at any given time.) I might leave the '(12)' up as a reminder of what Derryth's current max Wis is (when the spell is active) or it might be better to completely remove it to avoid confusion, I am not sure.

I am open to suggestions as always.

^ Top  
  23. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Choose what's less bothersome, I am more in favor of in game descriptions and that's it.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, can you describe in game mechanics terms how would this affect our character? +2 STR + 2 CON -2 DEX? Or something more complicated?

What is the duration of the spell? Can it be dismissed at will if we require speed and motor skill again?

I am not entirely convinced that sacrificing speed is a good defense for a mage.

^ Top  
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    It could be a good buff for a meatshield warrior ally.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.