Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Going to change my vote a bit Fangshi:

A - Take what power we can get, but be much more leery of him in future. We really do need our own defensive capability if we want to survive these scraps we constantly find ourselves in.

A>B - Even if this guy is the Deceiver, if he does screw us we have guards and Faceless to help us GTFO. I don't want him as an enemy, but if we're going to screw him, we should screw him all the way. I don't really care about Lyssa though, and if it is the Deceiver he'd have some contingencies planted in her mind to mess with us. That and we have enough strays for now.

In regards to the consequences, as long as they're not personal I don't care. No one has any reason to connect this guy's rise to us. The Arrows won't blab if they know what's good for them. We could bring back Balor himself so long as the guy is cool with us for all I care. Besides, if this is the Deceiver then Alric can't really get mad at us since this guy was his ally during the last war. At least that's what I tell myself.

B>C>D
I won't accept any choice here that's time sensitive. And I'm wary of any choice that leaves us drained or more vulnerable to an attack by Mazzarin. If Mazzarin does decide to attack then we don't want to have our Arrow bodyguards weak.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Take what power we can get, but be much more leery of him in future.
Yes, I just can't justify passing it up. "You can not be sure but you are certain the Faceless Man is up to something and you will accept nothing from him"? Pah! Welcome to the circle of big players. Everyone here schemes. Even the benevolent king Albrecht intends to use us as a tool to stir the hornet's nest of the opposing noble houses. Does that mean we'll be steering clear of his rewards as well?

We just have to be careful - and if we just so happen to fuck up and make a folly, turn it into an opportunity. It happened with Christine, it happened with Melete. Why can't it happen with The Faceless Man as well?

I actually find it kind of amusing. Half a year ago we were nobody, an apprentice to some tomb raider who got himself killed without really achieving anything big. Now our word can bring houses to ruin, and we have caught the attention of cosmic powers that seek to use us in their games or destroy us, while our friends ascend the throne of the Northern Empire. I'd say this is a big promotion.

If Mazzarin does decide to attack then we don't want to have our Arrow bodyguards weak.
I don't think they can do anything against him but serve as meatshields anyway. Whatever can resist Mazzarin will have to come from The Faceless Man. He appears to have made an investment in Derryth and Thais, so it is unlikely he'll rent us to another archmage.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Whoa. He can actually command us, even in this state? It was one thing to do so in the Dreamland, but I thought he holds no such power in reality.

A paranoid person might think that perhaps he has been sending you suggestions... that, that is how he has been influencing you through the bracers. That he is moulding you over time... but that couldn't happen right? ;)

Hard to say how powerful he actually is but if you look at the rankings he is up there...

He must have heard Thais, though.

Well then perhaps you have your answer or perhaps he puts greater stock in what Derryth thinks... hard to say really...

What is it that she expects of her life? What is it that she wants to do with it? What does Derryth think can move her enough to speak?

She expects death.

She wants forgiveness.

You tell me what will move her. :lol:

Do we know how Dreams operate? Are they like normal spells? Can one Dream be known to several people?

Because from what we have observed, they never are. Presumably, it is because the one who wields the Dream does not want anybody else to know it. But maybe there is some mechanics in place that prevents it?

You don't know how Dreams operate. You don't know if they are like normal spells. You suspect that several people can know the same dream, the Shades during the war all seemed to know the Dispersal Dream and it is one of the confirmed Dreams that Alric has. You can't think of any reason why multiple mages could not know the same Dream other than the tendency of mages to horde things for themselves and kill everyone else.

Actually, this is exactly what I hoped for. I suppose one of these times we'll have to put to a vote what to do with this mess... if we stay alive.

I will add it to the list of options when you next have some downtime.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A swarm of wasps while perhaps not life-threatening, is still really, really distracting. I think you're giving them less credit than they're due. They're prepared to die for their mission, especially now that their honour has been challenged. Sure they might not survive, but they'll definitely increase our chances of doing so. I like the guys honestly, they still strike me as very Black Company.

Nevill

Arcane
A paranoid person might think that perhaps he has been sending you suggestions... that, that is how he has been influencing you through the bracers. That he is moulding you over time... but that couldn't happen right? ;)
That's exactly his Modus Operandi, subtly influencing his victims to do his bidding.
:negative:

Fangshi said:
She expects death.

She wants forgiveness.

You tell me what will move her. :lol:
But she will not find forgiveness with Mazzarin. I take it that you are trying to say that we must invite her to go with us if we want to separate them.

Wonder what will the mage have to say if we request this as one of the favors he promised. After restoring himself, will he really need an apprentice to do all the work for him?

I like the guys honestly, they still strike me as very Black Company.
He tried to mess with us when he had no real reason to. I'll shed no tears for them.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
But she will not find forgiveness with Mazzarin. I take it that you are trying to say that we must invite her to go with us if we want to separate them.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. You can not be certain of her motivations and she does not really know you well enough to tell you anything more at the moment.

Wonder what will the mage have to say if we request this as one of the favors he promised.

If you want it as an option if you revive him I can include it. He would probably grant it if you used one of your favours up.

he had no real reason to.

Well he could have gotten Nine far more easily if one of you had caved in. For him it was the quickest way to get the job done.

GreyViper

Prophet
BA
F Modified Lyssa's Blood and a chained Heal spell: You will let Lyssa drain herself to fuel the spell. You will cast it while she bleeds out but as soon as you are done you will cast a Heal spell on her. You might be quick enough to save her. You will draw on Thaïs to cast the Heal spell as you will not have enough power to cast it yourself. This will likely leave all three of you in weakened condition for at least a day. And you ask the second reward for Lyssa, pointing out that with his form restored he can get a new novice anyway.

Although I still think we should do the same thing and go after his knowledge and offer Lyssa part in our circle. Faceless Man should know how to extract the information.

Btw I find it amusing that after burning down half the dwarven city, your getting cold feet from a gift.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Anyone knows if twelve wisdom is a new boost after the last update or not?

Fangshi

Arcane
That is correct. It is from the ritual and is only temporary. It will wear off shortly in an hour or two at most.

Given the way mages boost their own stats in the setting I am still playing around with how the information will be displayed on the character sheet. (Provided she actually makes it to archmage status she will probably have half a dozen spell effects active at any given time.) I might leave the '(12)' up as a reminder of what Derryth's current max Wis is (when the spell is active) or it might be better to completely remove it to avoid confusion, I am not sure.

I am open to suggestions as always.

Kz3r0

Arcane
That is correct. It is from the ritual and is only temporary. It will wear off shortly in an hour or two at most.

Given the way mages boost their own stats in the setting I am still playing around with how the information will be displayed on the character sheet. (Provided she actually makes it to archmage status she will probably have half a dozen spell effects active at any given time.) I might leave the '(12)' up as a reminder of what Derryth's current max Wis is (when the spell is active) or it might be better to completely remove it to avoid confusion, I am not sure.

I am open to suggestions as always.
Choose what's less bothersome, I am more in favor of in game descriptions and that's it.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
A) The Bronze Mask, the 'Warrior's Mask': It contains a spell that temporarily strengthens the body granting it some bronze-like properties while the spell is maintained. The target become stronger and more durable at the expense of speed and fine motor skill.
Fangshi, can you describe in game mechanics terms how would this affect our character? +2 STR + 2 CON -2 DEX? Or something more complicated?

What is the duration of the spell? Can it be dismissed at will if we require speed and motor skill again?

I am not entirely convinced that sacrificing speed is a good defense for a mage.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, there is talk about improving our own defensive capability and not sucking at physical combat, so I'd like to know how would it affect us, first and foremost.

Personally, I would like to avoid physical combat altogether.

I won't accept any choice here that's time sensitive. And I'm wary of any choice that leaves us drained or more vulnerable to an attack by Mazzarin. If Mazzarin does decide to attack then we don't want to have our Arrow bodyguards weak.
Wait, there is something I didn't quite get. Why having us weakened (C) is preferrabe to having the Arrows more vulnerable (D)?

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
1A: This will be a very useful buff in the future.
2A: A deal is a deal, even if he turns out to be the deceiver.
3C: Not sure about this one :/

Nevill

Arcane
The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that the man is the Deceiver. He knows Nine's identity, he knows what was done to her and that the memories were safe in her head, he hates the Watcher, he operates in secrecy and uses people that are easily disposable - or so he thinks. It would not be too hard for him to take control over Ceannard, and thus his men, if he so desires. I would be highly wary about weakening our mental strength around him.

He can be an ally if needed, but he would take being a master over it any day of the week.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, can you describe in game mechanics terms how would this affect our character? +2 STR + 2 CON -2 DEX? Or something more complicated?

What is the duration of the spell? Can it be dismissed at will if we require speed and motor skill again?

Sure, it is essentially the spell Culwyeh uses against the Myrkridia in the memory where she helps out the hunters.

It gives you +2 CON, +2 STR, -3 DEX, nice and simple. Your become tougher, stronger and quite a bit slower. You might even gain some resistance to electricity (it would travel along your metallic skin rather than through you) though you can not be sure. The Faceless Man has never had that come up so he does not know... or he is lying to you...

With the spell set and stats Culwyeh had/has it essentially turns her into a Trow. Derryth would not get quite as good results but it would still give you physical stats on par with many of the better warriors though you would be slower than most of them. Note though that you do not really know how to fight yet. You have no real physical training so even a low stat warrior could probably beat you in a duel, he/she just would not be able to hurt you easily (if they were smart they would disarm and incapacitate you somehow...).

The spell has to be maintained consciously. It only applies when Derryth is actively maintaining it so it does not have a duration. As a result you can dismiss it whenever you want. It will also lose effect if something happens to incapacitate the caster or sufficiently distract them but with an eight WIS that would take a lot for Derryth.

Not that different from this gentleman to be honest though he pulls it off without the DEX loss:

Colossus_Marvel_XP_Old.png

Current Tally:

Baltika9 AAC
Smashing Axe A A>B B>D
Kz3R0 DDB
Azira A>B D>A D>B
Zero Credibility D>A C>D D
Jester BAC
Grimgravy BDD
Nevill BAD
GreyViper BAF
asxetos AAC

A) 4 votes
B) 4 votes
C)
D) 2 votes

A) 6 votes
B)
C) 1 vote
D) 3 votes

A)
B) 2 votes
C) 3 votes
D) 4 votes
E)
F) 1 vote

Post Flop:

A) 5 votes
B) 4 votes
C)
D) 1 vote

A) 7 votes
B)
C)
D) 3 votes

A)
B) 1 vote
C) 3 votes
D) 5 votes
E)
F) 1 vote

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Thais is our 'face,' Derryth is the nitty-gritty type. The Silver Mask isn't really our forte. Besides, with Culwyeh now restored, she can teach us the ways of the Axe Wizard.
:yeah:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nine gives you both an apologetic smile, "Oh I do dears! I do! This will take thousands of 'years' to fix!"

Out of curiosity you ask the obvious question, "How long is that in real time Nine?"

"Out there? Oh years at least I should think! I have a lot to fix! Everything in fact!"

"Need help?" you ask though you are a bit afraid she will say yes.

She reaches over and takes your hand, "That is sweet dear, it really is but you have things to do. I have eternity, I can waste a few years or a decade in my own mind but you can not. At least not yet. Just keep my head safe until I wake up please. I should have all sorts of things to teach you then!"

Fangshi

Arcane
Should have some time for an update within the next 28 hrs.

I will close it up in fourteen hours, expect the update within fourteen hours of that.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, the vote is closed.

You will preform the ritual, you will use the Arrows to do it, and you will take the warrior's mask.

Update in 12-13 hours

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom