Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I have an idea. This works both ways, mister Faceless:
    Is he going to call off the favor we promised to him in exchange for not giving the bracelets to Mazzarin?

Because if not, I am ready to rethink my position. What good is a choice if all it determines is who gets to screw you over?

It's not like we need his protection if we can get Mazzarin to promise not to act against us. So, what does he say?

Fangshi, can we get him to do that? I believe he needs it more than we do. A favor for a favor, so to speak.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Guys, this come from someone that fears Mazzrin, please ask for this.
    Is a fair trade, please guys let's go with this.
    Considering that we can't do squat aginst him even if we want to accepting to no act against him seems very sensible.

^ Top  
  3. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    I dont think you can ask an immortal to never do anything. This is not going to work imo.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There is a chance that eventually we will be tasked with gathering forces that can put him down, or become involved with them in some way, even if we can't harm him directly. At most this proposition of yours protects Nine from his clutches, because there is nothing else he needs from us or our friends, anyway. We are moths.

If his disposition towards us is good, we are safe. If it's bad, are you going to rely on his word not to directly harm us as a sole mean of protection? He can kill us indirectly with ease, it does not take much effort to twist the letter of the favor to achieve the desired result.

I don't think there is a good way to ensure your safety other than not to anger him.
    We can ask him never to do something while we live instead.

On second thought, let's not.

^ Top  
  5. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Why do you guys want to waste a favour on the guy's apprentice? We have enough attendants. She's not going to be that useful.

Magical knowledge from one of the greatest archmages that ever lived though... That could be handy.

As for wasting a favour on Mazzarin not acting against us. How about we wait until we have reason to think he actually might.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Because I took a liking to her. Because we need allies of the same caliber and with interests that are easily understandable, not 'allies' who would crush you like an ant when they aren't bothering to look at their feet, though it does not hurt to have those as well.

We don't have nearly enough people, especially powerful people, on our team. Why, Biliku and Uttu is all we could afford to take with us to Myrgard. Why would that be?

You can't label her useless just because you say so. She has diisplayed enough magical talent for me to think otherwise.

And I still intend to make The Circle of the Lost into a power to be reckoned with. Do yoo have any idea how hard it is to find a mage that is ready to share and cooperate willingly, with no strings attached?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    ^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Fangshi, am I right in presuming that we'd be offered the same choices for magic as before if D wins for the favour?

While we could certainly use more hands, we're relatively covered as far as magical practitioners and/or officers are concerned. Yes, we could always use another mage as part of the circle, but I don't see her as having much to offer relative to the skill pool of our group. A few illusion spells and her history with Mazzarin isn't much. We're going to have a bunch of hands when we return to Muirthemne anyway thanks to our recruitment effort there.

As for being a power to be reckoned with, well, an archmage's tutelage goes a long way. The closer we come to archmagedom, the more adepts will flock to us for protection and instruction. And before you say it, Lyssa has given the impression that Mazzarin has taught her very little.

^ Top  
  8. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1 A - if he will wish to kill any of us he will do it.
    2 B - I wish to study the magic used in those, sound like help to communication magic and say to braclet-man you own us BIG TIME.
    3 B - we invested much in nine and i dont wish to loose orb of power.
    4 B - grab one favour and keep one for later.
    5 A>D - He had to train her a bit of magic for her to survive in different fields probably, illusions and animal magic for sure so we will gain a bit from that and one more slav... loyal subject as would say manipulator. If not we magic to magic gods.

^ Top  
  9. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Smashing Axe, her ability to control eagles will be a very handy communication method until/if we develop something better.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    That's a good point.

I still don't trust or like her though, but I get your perspective.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The few spells she may know, she knows at a master's level, as we've witnessed. And the bunch of hands we'll get in Muirthemne are going to be soldiers from the Legion and mercenaries - underlings, not a part of our inner circle. Talented mages are extremely hard to come by. Mages who are willing to work together outside of the walls of a magic academy? Rarer still.

Normally, I would be extremely wary of inviting a witch, but she seems to be repenting for her previous misdeeds and her 'no more deaths' comment makes me hopeful she will integrate nicely if we give her something worth living for.

It is a debate of 'individual power' vs. 'power as a group'. It is a matter of preference. Besides, I don't seek pupils, I seek colleagues, equals.

Anyway. I was promised that if we spend all our free time with Thais we'll be playing Myth: The Lesbian Witches. Well, it is the second chapter, and so far none of it came true. Since Baltika9 was refused the first part, I'll have to grudgingly settle on the second.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    ^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Can we also use eagles for scrying? To precisely target our nuclear strikes?

Just asking.

Anyway, here's a serious question. The ritual we just used, can it be used to bring back anyone whose remains we have? And just how much of them do we need? Or are there special conditions before it can be used (like their willing spirit hanging around)? Because it looks like this is true resurrection spell, something that could come in very handy in case some of our friends (or we as well) were to die.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    He warns you again that if you take the bracelets off you will be entirely defenseless before Mazzarin.

You tell him you will take your chances.

He is nervous, uncertain. You let him stew in it for five minutes.

He caves.

A favour for a favour. Save him here and you are even.

Same as the previous list in all likelihood. He has the same knowledge he did before.

It can't bring back the completely dead, just the mostly dead.

She communicates with the eagles, talks to them essentially, so it is different than actually seeing through their eyes. The Gate spell requires actual memories of the target location to cast with any sort of accuracy so while you could attempt to steal the memories from the birds with a modified infiltration spell the results would be mixed. You might miss the target for example or hit a location that looks similar to but is not actually your target. It is possible but it could also go very badly.

Current Tally:
    Kipeci A A B A D
    Smashing Axe C B B B D>C
    Azira A B B B D
    Zero Credibility C>A B B B A
    Kz3r0 C B B C A(F)
    Nevill C B B B A
    asxetos C B B B A
    Jester A B B B A>D
    GreyViper C B B B C?
    Baltika9 C A B B D
    Grimgravy C B B B A

A) 3 votes
    B)
    C) 8 votes

A) 2 vote
    B) 9 votes

A)
    B) 11 votes

A) 1 vote
    B) 9 votes
    C) 1 vote

A) 6 votes
    B)
    C) 1 vote ?
    D) 4 votes
    E)
    F) (1 vote)

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    1C
    2B
    3B
    4B -
    5F Now here I would like to propose this, that he would help us establish permanent gate between dwarven capital and Muirthemne . That should bring us nice steady income.

The interesting thing about A is that she has had his mind inside her. So we don't know how much she might have gleaned knwoledge unknowingly from him.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Wait, why can't we open the gate ourselves (when we have of all our people back together)? We did it back in Muirthemne, didn't we?

I wouldn't count on it. The mage is a master, so I'd think he would have the possible leaks covered. Still, it might have happened.

^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    This can be done but I have to modify your request a little.

You already know the spell necessary to open a Gate, if you want a permanent Gate then you need a power source capable of fueling it. Mazzarin has an artefact that can do that, amongst other things, if you want he could give it to you. The rest you could do on your own.

So I can put you down for 5c if you want?

If it wins, when you get the list, just pick the 'super battery' (not its real name ;)) and you will have the ability to open a stable Gate should you desire (you will still require most of your Circle to cast the ritual though so you can't really do it till you get back to Muirthemne).

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, I think it's dumb to negotiate with Mazzarin if we don't give up his age old adversary on the spot. Also don't get the panicking about him either: we are not part of the Dark, we just did him a huge favor and we're not really opposed to him. Honestly, I think he may be open to some sort of cooperation in the future. My votes:
    CABBD (tutelage in his best field.)
    TL;DR Mazzarin 4 Lyfe

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    At this rate why you guys don't ask to become his apprentice then?
    Wait, this is not a serious suggestion, no, for real, please, don't..

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because I'm not down with traveling with him to get scraps of his knowledge and completely neglecting or own affairs. We have sour to do.

^ Top  
  20. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I should have time to work on an update in eighteen hours or so.

I will leave the vote open for another twelve hours and the update should come six to twelve hours after that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I am rereading the update. Didn't notice it the first time... but did we avoid TPK again by passing the check that determined whether Mazzarin wakes up sane or not?
    Would have been intertesting to see what was the difference between the ritual methods, but I guess this is a question that is best answered at the end of the chapter.

^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Also, I think it goes without saying, that if we make it back alive, we need to perform this ritual on ourselves fairly regularly. Looks like we have our own answer to immortality. At least until we find a way to be like Nine and effectively unkillable.

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Immerse Derryth in blood regularly?

I disagree. That's the path to insanity. Let's just settle for casting the "Eternal bloom" spell instead, eh? The reason we needed blood for Mazzarin was that his own had turned to dust.
    "Eternal Bloom" cast on a living subject ought not need blood from others, if I understand the magic system correctly.

^ Top  
  25. Ghaad Novice

Ghaad
    Fangshi, i have a question regarding long distance communication. Would it be possible to use the retrieve item spell in conjunction with a receptacle? As in write message on a piece of paper, place said message in a specific box which we would retrieve from anywhere in the world, read the message, write the answer, repeat etc.? I would imagine having to set up specific times for exchanging the box so as those involved make sure it is ready and closed, meaning it looks exactly as you remember it. As well, the box itself should have some carvings / paintings or whatever would make it unique and we kept the model hidden from those outside the circle so as they don't retrieve it themselves. From the spell description it says that you need a crystal clear image of the object, but not necessarily line of sight, so i would think even an average mage could memorize a specific box. The real question is would the contents of the box also be teleported? And if true, then forget messages, you could teleport anything which could fit into the largest unique box that we could devise and memorize - tons of supplies brought to the front lines, merchandise transferred between cities, artefacts retrieved from storage while in a dungeon etc.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.