Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1) If we can split
    Thais:F,A,B
    Deryt:E,DII,CI

if we cant:
    DI,CI,A

2)C
    3)B

^ Top  
  2. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    1C i D i F we really could use the gate.
    B tequila drinks for everyone.
    B more is better.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    You do realise the fee they're charging us is worth like 2 fortresses, right? For a day's work, fighting off some ghols without any losses, that's insanely good. We're getting ripped off, we're not ripping anyone off.

But those were the terms we agreed to, and they have us on technicality. So there's not much to do in that regard.

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yes, we do realize that. We just gave Ceannard 30% of what we've earned in 3 month of non-stop raids to the undercity and back for a few days of work.

Do you realize that we came from that expedition alive and unharmed, something that we have no rights to considering all the risks we took? And if it weren't for them, some of us could have been dead, or slaves to 'Mazzarin'?

Wealth can only be useful if you are alive. The mission we hired them for was suicidal, and the cost reflects that well.

Actually, I came to respect the guys, and would work with them again. Just take them on missions that are actually doable in the future.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    ^ Top  
  6. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Of course, but it's idiotic to not fight for what is ours. I'm fine with paying them since those were the terms, and we've no room left to wiggle with that, but to say "let's give them a bonus!" is folly of the highest caliber.

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Of course not. That would kind of invalidate having A as an option at all. If you want Derryth to recover she needs to take some time to, well, recover. Otherwise you will cast at half strength until you do take the time to recover. You will have the option to really push yourself if you have to though so it is not like you are forced to cast at half strength all the time. There will be consequences though, you will run an increased risk of suffering more serious status effects and if you really go all out you might even be looking at permanent stat loss.

Similarly if you do not go shopping you can not resupply your mandrake roots and energon cubes (both of which you are out of). It will take you a little time to source those items (the dwarves do not use them so you will need to find the proper sources) if you want them for any future challenges.

Sure if you want to split the party you can do that. I promise nothing horrible will happen to either of you, scout's honour. :smug:

Added as an option:

4. Split the party or not? You will send Thaïs off to perform three separate tasks while you work.

A) Yes - Split up, you can get twice as much done. List the three tasks you want her to work on. The options are the same as in question 1.

B) No - Do not split up, you work better together and are less exposed as a team.

Current Tally:

Nevill 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.A 3.B 4.B>A (A,Ci,Dii)
    Smashing Axe 1.B,Ci,Di 2.A 3.B 4.A (A,B,Cii)
    Zero Credibility 1.Ci,Di,F 2.A 3.B 4.x
    Azira 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.A 3.B 4.x
    asxetos 1.B,Dii,F 2.A 3.B 4.x
    Kz3r0 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.A 3.B 4.B
    Jester 1.(Ci,Dii,E)>(A,Ci,Di) 2.C 3.B 4.A (A,B,F)
    GreyViper 1.Ci,Di,F 2.B 3.B 4.x
    Baltika9 1.Axx 2.A 3.B 4.x
    Grimgravy 1.A,Ci,F 2.D (1.F, 4.Di) 3.B 4.A (A,Cii,Di)

1. Activities:
    A) 5 votes
    B) 2 votes
    C)
    i. 8 votes
    ii.
    D)
    i. 3 votes
    ii. 5 votes
    E) 1 vote
    F) 4 votes

2. Lyssa:
    A) 8 votes
    B) 1 vote
    C)
    D) 1 vote (preferred: Derryth: F, Thaïs Di)

3. Impressions:
    A)
    B) 10 votes

4. Split Party/Thaïs' Activities:
    A) 3 votes:
    a. 3 votes
    b. 2 votes
    c.
    i.
    ii. 2 votes
    d.
    i. 1 vote
    ii.
    e.
    f. 1 vote
    B) 2 votes

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I'll support splitting with Thais, but if we end up doing the shopping thing, she should come along.

So...

A B Cii for Thais.

I just don't see the Gate working well long-term. It might work for a little while, but sooner or later a lovecraftian horror is going to use it as its way through.

^ Top  
  9. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Splitting the party should be doable here and i really regret that in rpg campaigns there is no room for that because challenges are scaled to max people, wonder if there is a system actually helping separate narration.

^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I think it comes down to logistical problems more than anything really.

I mean let's say you have six players and they decide to split into teams of two. Well if two of them get into a fight then the other four guys/gals are stuck just watching while you run them through the encounter. It is not fun to just sit there on your hands while someone else plays. It is similar to trying to run a decker in Shadowrun, the decker is essentially going through a mini adventure while the rest of the players sit on their hands (though in that case I usually let the other players play as the decker's 'programs'. It allows them to do something and help their friend while also letting the guy that chose that role really shine as the most powerful character).

The way I have found around that boredom is to actually split up the players if they split their party. Though it requires scheduling extra sessions if the party is split. Each sub party gets to run a small session of one to three people by themselves until the whole group joins back up and it tends to work fairly well but that is a lot more work on my part (or requires a second or third GM) so it does not happen often.

About the new choices:

The way I will work choices 1 and 4 is as follows (since there could be some confusion there). The top three picks from choice 1 will determine where Derryth goes. If 4B wins then Thaïs will come with you on each of the three activities. If 4A wins then the top three choices from that list will also be chosen.

If any of the entries match then both women will work together on that task. Otherwise they will go about their business independently.

So for example if 1.ACiiF wins and 4.A ADiE wins then Derryth will do Cii and F while Thaïs does Di and E and they will both go together on A.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    B) No - Do not split up, you work better together and are less exposed as a team.

Guys, remeber what happened with Melete, this is not a safe haven.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Why not vote for choices then where Thais and Derryth would be in the same approximate location? We can research enchantment spells, and she can research illusion at the magic academy for instance.

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    That is worth mentioning actually. If you do pick choices that keep them within close proximity of one another they will pursue them at the same time to minimize risk. So in the example Smashing Axe gives they would choose to go to the academy at the same time they would just be exploring different parts of it. F or Di and either of the C options would also work this way since you would both be going to the academy. The other options would have you both split up as they are rather far from one another.

I am all for giving you as much freedom as you want. The more freedom you have the better you can use (or misuse ;) ) your time after all.

One quick question through just to make sure we are on the same page. If you and Thaïs study different fields you will naturally pick up different spells. Did you want to hold out on her at all? Or are you all for sharing everything/complete honesty with her. As it currently stands they will (or at least expect each other) to share everything they find and that is the direction I will take it useless you lot want to do things differently.

Edit:

Yes, fixed it. Di, both C options and F all require you to go to the academy so they will get paired up if possible. If 1.A Ci F and 4. A (A Cii Di) were to win for example then the two of them would not really split up at all they would just spend all of their time in different parts of the academy.

^ Top  
  14. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Well I'm all for being incredibly greedy and distrustful of everyone, eventually leading to us becoming an insane fallen lord. But I doubt anyone else is going to support that. So yeah, just be completely open at least with Thais.

^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    You meant C instead of D, probably.

I want to keep our party together, except that I want to study different magical fields in the library. What should I vote for?

Edit: Actually, scratch that, they should examine the bracelets together. They affect them both, after all.

4. B > A (ACiDii) - same activities as in 1.

^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    1: A, Ci, F
    2: D:, Include her in our (or Thais') activities, but give her time to get used to us. I'd Suggest F with us and Di with Thais
    3: B
    4: A split for MOAR info: A, Cii, Di

^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, if you want she can do that. She wants to spend some time trying to lure her remaining birds back so that will eat up a third of her time but she could go on two separate activities if you want. I won't make it a separate vote since it is dependent on too many other variables but feel free to list your preferences and I will take them into account should 2.D win.

Current Tally:

Nevill 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.A 3.B 4.B>A(A,Ci,Dii) Lyssa preferred activities: shopping, academy enchantment?
    Smashing Axe 1.B,Ci,Di 2.A 3.B 4.A(A,B,Cii)
    Zero Credibility 1.Ci,Di,F 2.A 3.B 4.A (provided A and/or only academy choices win)>B
    Azira 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.A 3.B 4.B
    asxetos 1.B,Dii,F 2.A 3.B 4.x
    Kz3r0 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.A 3.B 4.B
    Jester 1.(Ci,Dii,E)>(A,Ci,Di) 2.C 3.B 4.A(A,B,F)>B
    GreyViper 1.Ci,Di,F 2.B 3.B 4.x
    Baltika9 1.A,Ci,Dii 2.B 3.B 4.B
    Grimgravy 1.A,Ci,F 2.D(Derryth.F,Thaïs.Di) 3.B 4.A(A,Cii,Di) Lyssa preferred activities: power source with Derryth, Violet mage research with Thaïs.

1. Activities:
    A) 6 votes
    B) 2 votes
    C)
    i. 9 votes
    ii.
    D)
    i. 4 votes
    ii. 5 votes
    E)
    F) 4 votes

2. Lyssa:
    A) 7 votes
    B) 2 vote
    C)
    D) 1 vote (preferred: Derryth: F, Thaïs Di)

3. Impressions:
    A)
    B) 10 votes

4. Split Party/Thaïs' Activities:
    A) 2 votes:
    a. 2 votes
    b. 1 vote
    c.
    i.
    ii. 2 votes
    d.
    i. 1 vote
    ii.
    e.
    f. 2 votes
    B) 6 votes

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Updating vote to:

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Right, I will give it another... let's say fifteen or so hours and then I will close it up.

If you have not voted on whether to split up or not you have till then. If you want to do anything clever with pairing up tasks you also have till then.

An update should come within twelve hours of closing the votes like usual.

Currently the following options lead:

You will rest, investigate your 'gifts' at the academy and visit the Arrows to see if they can help you find these Violet mages. You will politely pry into Lyssa's past, you will work to integrate your memories and... well the last choice is tied on whether to split up or not at the moment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Can we not split the party, please? There is no way to ensure that Derryth does things in Thais' vicinity. Currently the options that lead for Derryth and Thais are different. I am sure it will be fun sending Derryth to hunt the Violet Mages alone.

How are the votes counted, anyway? I understand my vote 4.B>A(A,Ci,Dii) as "Don't split, but if we have to, do the following". But how do you interpret 4.A(A,B,F)>B? "If you don't split that exact way, don't split at all"?

It is just a good way for something derpy to happen.

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I take the written intention of the voter into account. So for yours the Thaïs options only come into play if 4.A wins. For Jester's his votes will count towards what Thaïs does as long as 4.A leads, if it falls begin then he will flip to 4.B and his votes in 1 will also flip. It is a bit of a pain to keep track of sure but I prefer to give you more freedom not less.

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Or something like that... :lol:

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Take her shopping with us to get her in a more relaxed mood (isn't this what we are trying to achieve - to make her drop her guard around us?) and let her know us better. Bet she won't be able to resist the concentrated d'aaaw from the kids.

And maybe take her to the library - the necklaces Mazzarin 'gifted' us concern her as well. Get her used to the idea that we are in this together.

Missed that part. Can't we at least take her shopping with us regardless? It is not business-related.

^ Top  
  24. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Should be safe enough. If there are no objections I am sure she would be delighted to come with you and shopping should be a fairly safe activity all things considered.

She could also come with you on the other tasks but those would require putting trust in someone you have only just met. I don't have a problem with that provided there are no objections there either.

^ Top  
  25. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I'm ok with splitting up but only if we er, don't actually split up? I mean if we both stay at the academy and / or we all rest and go shopping. Because actually splitting up sounds really dangerous with who knows how many more bastards out there looking for the inventor - too risky.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.