Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
Also this. 200WP for two persons one-day treatment?! Just how do they stay in business when there are no ludicrously wealthy adventurer women around?

The dwarven kingdom has quite a bit more wealth than the human empire and much of it sits in the hands of the great houses. 1000WPs here puts you in the upper middle of the aristocracy where back in the empire it would put you in the top 5-10%.

They find enough customers that can afford it.

The spa is also attached to a functioning temple and hospice compound which bring in a fair amount of money as well.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys, can we please get these?

vii. A tome on elemental spells (35 WPs)
viii. A comb that can store an invisibility spell but makes a humming noise when active. (5 WPs)

The price is not outrageous, and we need something for those that can't be hurt with mind spells, like undead. It is good to be proficient in several fields.

And the comb is just nice to have for mere 5 WP. Especially if we find something that can suppress the sound as well. :)

Last edited:
Well ok, I'm adding the defective comb to my list as it is cheap and could actually be useful. Even if they can hear us, being invisible is a huge advantage in any fight.

Not really sold on more spells though. It's quite expensive and if we need more firepower, we can probably get something like that (and more cheaply) back home as well, with our mage contact we used before the expedition.

Nevill

Arcane
Our mage contact only had a pair of scrolls. I have a feeling you underestimate just how hard it is to find anything more than a few basic spells. No one wants to share anything.

This establishment here only deals with special guests, and we got access to it because we were in the King's service. I don't think Mabd has nearly enough resourses to offer one tenth of what the Dietfried brothers have in their shop.

Besides, necromancers roam this kingdom, not Alric's Empire, and we need something to deal with them while we are still here. Though maybe by now Mazzarin have killed them all already.

You mean get it as an investment in our circle and future magical academy for orphans? Yes, that could make it worthwhile. But I don't want to spend too much on the king's credit here, so I would insist that we pay it from our pocket.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
3. F) Healing: 2 votes (1 vote for anyone (Derryth to master, Thaïs and Lyssa to learn), 1 vote for Lyssa to learn)
Ah, crap, Lyssa does not know Heal? Wait, Thais does not know Heal? What our circle have been doing for three months?

Changing vote for 3. D,E (anyone) F (Derryth, Healing). We need to master that spell ASAP.

Jester

Arbiter
Ai

Bi

Ci

Di

E
i
vi. The Box: A plain, sealed wooden box. The Dietfrieds have no idea what is in it and won't risk damaging it to find out. It is a complete mystery... a mystery box... (5 WPs)
ix. A book titled 'Golems for dummies' but they assure you it is just a novelty item. They have not been able to get the spells in it to work. (1 WP)
x. They have a squid shaped vase that can store up to ten spells but releases them at random. (10 WPs) - 10 firebolts? heals? storing 10 of same spell and its reliable. So must buy for me.

Fii

Gi

A - i like that guy.

B - we have bunch of warriors recruted so mass morale or protection should be good investment especially for elite ones
E - we have many high int character so even one point up is huge and % boost would be significant, going for wisdom is fine to.
F - heal. (Der)

4B

5A

x. They have a squid shaped vase that can store up to ten spells but releases them at random. (10 WPs) - 10 firebolts? heals? storing 10 of same spell and its reliable. So must buy for me.
Er, don't think so. Not only we can't control which spell is activated, but we also can't control when it is activated. So, if you put 10 firebolts or 10 heals it will discharge them randomly. Wasteful for heals and quite likely suicidal for firebolts.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Er, don't think so. Not only we can't control which spell is activated, but we also can't control when it is activated. So, if you put 10 firebolts or 10 heals it will discharge them randomly. Wasteful for heals and quite likely suicidal for firebolts.
Yeah I didn't notice the random cast portion. Ignore my previous post. For the broken power supply why don't you offer 20WP to hold the machine for 1 year with the option to pay the remaining 180WP any time in that year, else the deposit is forfeit. Gives the option to come back later and pick it up once the alchemist regains consciousness or alternately saves a ton of WP if she never comes out of the coma.

Jester

Arbiter
Fangshi can you clarify that random vase. Is it random choice of spell only or random time of casting to?
If the second one is it possible to attempt to fix it?

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
Fangshi can you clarify that random vase. Is it random choice of spell only or random time of casting to?
If the second one is it possible to attempt to fix it?

Sure, it holds up to ten spells.

It will choose one of the spells at random to cast.

It will also fire the spells at random intervals.

There is no known way to control when it casts though you can limit what it casts by loading it up with only one or two types of spells.

It is completely random.

As for changing how it works that would take a skilled inventor but is possible so that is an option to consider.

A true expert should be able to modify most of the items on the list though the results are not always 100% predictable.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Guys, can we please get these?

The price is not outrageous, and we need something for those that can't be hurt with mind spells, like undead. It is noce to have a second field to be proficient in.

And the comb is just nice to have for mere 5 WP. Especially if we find something that can suppress the sound as well. :)
Don't we already have a whole pile of unsorted spellbooks at home though? Let's not buy stuff we may already have.

Nevill

Arcane
Do we? I don't remember anything of a sort. Is there a link to the relevant update/quote?

In any case, there is a whole tome of spells. How can we pass ot up?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1. Shopping (Each part A through G is a seperate sub question. Feel free to vote in each.)

A) Uttu's Bowstring:
iii. Let Astrid pay for it.

B) Biliku's Bargain:
iii. Let Astrid pay for it.

C) Lyssa's Aphids:
iii. You let Astrid pay for it.

D) Thaïs' Ring:
i. Yes, you pay for it (25 WPs)

E) Derryth's Purchase Part 1:
i. A ring of spell storage just like the one Thaïs wants. (25 WPs)
iv. The Spinner: A tiny magic powered machine in the shape of a spider. If fed plant matter it will produce organic tread of a high quality. If fed metals it will spin thread of that metal. The Dietfrieds have not tried to feed it anything else but the same process probably applies to a variety of substances. (20 WPs)
v. A vial of aphids similar to those Lyssa is considering. (15 WPs)
vi. The Box: A plain, sealed wooden box. The Dietfrieds have no idea what is in it and won't risk damaging it to find out. It is a complete mystery... a mystery box... (5 WPs)
ix. A book titled 'Golems for dummies' but they assure you it is just a novelty item. They have not been able to get the spells in it to work. (1 WP)

F) Derryth's Purchase Part 2:
i. You pay for it yourself.

G) General Supplies: Twelve Energon Cubes and Six Mandrake Roots
iv. Let Astrid pay for it.

2. The Faceless Man, how do you want to get rid of him? Or do you even want to?
A) No, for the time being you will put up with him.

3. You are at the Royal Academy anyway. You do not have too much time but you can each study a little about a field of enchanting if you want. (Just pick three choices and list who will study what. Neither of them have any real preference so they are fine leaving it up to Derryth.)
D) The riddles of understanding. Used to strengthen the mind. Often found on robes, hood, or circlets.
E) The paths of progress. Used to sharpen the mind, often woven together with the riddles of understanding or used in their place.
F) Derryth needs to master heal for the rings of spell storage.

4. Lyssa's story. Do you want to hear the rest of it? Or would you rather not know?
A) Yes, you do not want there to be any secrets between you.

5. The Arrows and the Oneiroi:
A) You hire the Arrows to help you take on the Oneiroi. (40 WPs)

Nevill

Arcane
We are burning through our money at an alarming rate if we are going to buy everything ourselves. What is the point of associating ourselves with the crown if we don't fully use the benefits that come with it? That's about 160-200 WP worth of goods and services (I'm including the Black Arrows). The Pathfinders are able to cover half of it, so why don't we let them?

I mean, unless we want to bail out of here before things go south. Do we want to bail out of here?

I also see merit in buying the equipment for our party from our own money, but covering Derryth's gear from the Pathfinders' account. First, our gear is the most expensive. Second, Biliku and Uttu are not the honorary members, we are. Third, the girls would probably prefer it if we were the one who gifted them those things.

I am not greedy - money exist to be spent, after all - but I'd like to understand why we don't use the generous offer extended to us.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have edited my vote.
Fangshi , if we buy the spinner I would like to propose to destroy it.

Guys, anyone else here wants to destroy this obvious Spider Goddess' device?

Nevill

Arcane
If it really belongs to her, I am all for it. Wonder if we can actually cast one of the Dark Gods into oblivion.

It will need research first, though.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Fangshi , if we buy the spinner I would like to propose to destroy it.

Sure, if you wind up buying it I will add the option to destroy it should you wish.

Current Tally:

Nevill:
1.Ai Bi Cii Di E(i,iv,vi,vii,viii,ix) Fii Giv 2.F 3. D,E,F)Derryth (Heal) 4.A 5.A

Kz3r0:
1.Ai Bi Cii Dii E(i,ii,iv,vi,vii,ix,x) Fii Giv 2.F 3.C,D,E 4.B 5.A

Zero Credibility:
1. Ai Bi Ci Di E(i,iv,vi,viii,ix) Fi Gi>Giv 2.F 3.F: Heal and Illusions 4.B 5.C>A

Jester:
1. Ai Bi Ci Di E(i,vi,ix,x) Fii Gi 2.A 3.B,E,F)Derryth (Heal) 4.B 5.A

Grimgravy:
1.Aiii>i Biii>i Cii Dii E(i,ii,vi,vii) Fi Giv 2.F 3.A)Lyssa,B)Thais,D)Derryth 4.A 5.A

Azira:
1.Aiii Biii Ciii Di E(i,iv,v,vi,vii,ix) Fi Giv 2.A 3.D,E,F)Derryth (Heal) 4.A 5.A

GreyViper:
1. Ai Bi Ci Di E(i,ii,iv,vii,viii,ix,x) Fii Gi 2.F 3.C (for all three?) 4.A 5.A

Baltika9:
1.Ai Bi Cii Di E(i,iv,vi,vii,viii,ix) Fii Giv 2.F 3. D,E,F)Derryth (Heal) 4.A 5.A also 1 vote to PRAY!

A) Uttu:
i. 7 votes
ii.
iii. 1 vote

B) Biliku:
i. 7 votes
ii.
iii. 1 vote

C) Lyssa:
i. 3 votes
ii. 4 votes
iii. 1 vote

D) Thaïs
i. 6 votes
ii. 2 votes
iii.

E) Derryth: To purchase an item will require half of the total voters' votes (rounded down if necessary.)
i. 8 votes
ii. 3 vote
iii.
iv. 6 votes
v. 1 vote
vi. 7 votes
vii. 6 votes
viii. 4 votes
ix. 7 votes

x. 3 votes

F) Derryth Payment Method:
i. 3 votes
ii. 5 votes

G) Supplies:
i. 2 votes
ii.
iii.
iv. 6 votes

2. The Bracelets:
A) 2 votes
B)
C)
D)
E)
F) 6 votes

3. Training: If a name is not listed next to the vote then it will be taken as a general vote for that field. General votes will add on to the leading mage for that option.
A) 1 vote (1 vote for Lyssa)
B) 2 votes (1 vote for anyone, 1 vote for Thaïs)
C) 2 votes for 1 person (2 votes for anyone), 1 vote for a 2nd person (1 vote for anyone), 1 vote for a third person (1 vote for anyone)
D) 5 votes (4 votes for anyone, 1 vote for Derryth)
E) 5 votes (5 votes for anyone)

F) Known Spells:
- Healing (Derryth to master, Thaïs and Lyssa to learn): 5 votes (1 vote for anyone, 4 vote for Derryth to master)
- Illusions (Lyssa to master, Derryth and Thaïs to learn): 1 vote (1 vote for anyone)

4. Lyssa's Secret:
A) 5 votes
B) 3 votes

5. The Arrows and the mages:
A) 7 votes
B)
C) 1 vote

And finally, 1 vote to summon the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, Shub-Niggurath, herself!
PRAY!: 1 vote

I will leave things open for another twenty four hours or so, then close the votes provided there are no remaining ties.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
1 st part
A)I Uttu's Bowstring - it's cheap and boosts our party.

B)I Biliku's Bargain - I agree you can't have enough protection.

C)I Lyssa's Aphids - she'll buy them regardless nuff said
D)I Thaïs' Ring - good choice

E) List to buy
i) Good item for any occasion.
ii) The book is interesting

iv) Now this I want I think it has potential.

viii. A comb that can store an invisibility spell but makes a humming noise when active. (5 WPs)

x. A squid shaped vase that can store up to ten spells but releases them at random. (10 WPs)

F)II well let the crown pay for it now

G)I this we can handle

2nd part
F)

3rd
C

4A A wannabe necromancer

5A

We really need that portal up, we have the manpower and money just in another city and we wouldn't need to pay for half of things.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wirth a side-order of deep fried cthulhi, please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom