Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: The Fallen Lords on a modern PC

index.php

Arcane
Get a copy of Myth II: Soulblighter.

Install the game - Large Install.

Download and install the Project Magma Patch:
http://www.projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2_182/

Download all of these mods and extract them into your Myth II\plugins folder:

a)
The Fallen Levels v2 - a port of the Myth 1 campaign to the Myth 2 engine
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/the-fallen-levels-v2

b) Myth HD Total Conversion 1.32 - high definition models for units
https://mega.nz/#!hZoSRTJK!-RbAb24CFlhDn-QNLqkQkaUMM0oVFJMHZVuEbuqMEHM
or
http://osxcoopgames.net/content/myth-hd-total-conversion

c) Detail Texture Megapack - high resolution landscape textures
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/detail-texture-megapack

d) TFL Interface - Myth 1 interface for Myth 2
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/tfl-interface

X2di64k.png

a) Download the Myth TFL cutscenes:
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-tfl-quicktime-cutscenes

b) Create a "cutscenes" folder in your Myth II folder and place them in there.

f7eAb1J.png

a)
In Preferences, enable "TFL Style Gesture Arrows", "TFL Style Selection Boxes" and and Disable Persistent formations ("In Myth 2 when you move a group of units they remember the last formation you used. In TFL this wasn't the case, and using this setting will mimic that TFL behavior").

L7gHFoG.png

b) Click on Controls and enable TFL Mouse actions ("When this setting is enabled, shift-clicking behaves as it did in Myth TFL, that is, shift-clicking is used in melee to attack all units in the area regardless of what types they are").

nv9FZfH.png

c) Click on Interfaces and select the TFL Interface.

ZehyZPD.png

a)
Click on New Game and select TFL Gameplay to make the game act like Myth 1.
Hv8U0MT.png

b) Click on Tagsets and enable the HD Total Conversion mod.
4HbuVjD.png

Myth Camera Speed Kit (optional)
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-camera-speed-kit
But by default the Myth camera's movement is very sluggish. This download will let you change that, in all three Myth games.

You will need a folder named "observer constants" inside of the "local" folder that is in your
Myth 2 / Myth 3 folder. Place the "observer physics constants" file of the speed you want
inside of the "observer constants" folder to use it.

Z5qftrQ.png

ENJOY!:cool:

Screenshots:

iBpI6Cu.jpg

KqwK2DR.jpg

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
Myth II 1.8.2 Released!

I'm happy to announce the release of Myth II 1.8.2, which is now available for download.

Myth II version 1.8.2 is the latest instalment in Project Magma's series of updates to Myth II. This release is an incremental update, bringing new OS compatibility, additional polishing and bugfixing, plus a few great new features.

Below are some of the highlights of the 1.8.2 update:

• Ability to join co-operative games while they're in progress.
  • Updated higher-resolution Myth II interface, included by default.
  • Notifications when a player sends you a private message while Myth is in the background.
  • Fix for the Warlock Elder's fireball attack on The Seventh God plugin.
  • A new “Long Player List” preference that shows more players in the metaserver lobby.
  • A new preference to persist the camera zoom level between games and launches of Myth.
... And many, many more.

Info & Download:
http://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2_182/

Full list of changes in 1.8.2:
http://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2_182/Readme_1.8.2.pdf

Special thanks to all those who participated in our public betas, your feedback was essential to catching and correcting a number of severe issues.

Lagi

Savant
happy that someone still polishing this gem, but there is nothing new.
i have to change interface in preferences>interface to 800x600. Bigger starting windows is the only noticeable change, bigger intro "movies" is a plus.
camera zoom - would be sweet to be able zoom it out more.
i can not play mission if i dont finish the previous before, not sure but this was not allowed in 1.8.1?

can someone recommend some plugins?
http://projectmagma.net/downloads/

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Wow, this actually looks pretty good. Did they fix the speed on the narration when using "The Fallen Levels" in Soulblighter? When I last revisited Myth (around 2010-ish) the narrator sounded like a gerbil, which is a shame since the narration was such an important part of the experience.

Myth, what a game. And to think it's been over 20 years now.

RadioRaheem

Barely Literate
Thanks for this!

It works great and I love it but the cutscenes won't play no matter what i try :( I have the latest quicktime, everything is in the correct folder, is there something I could try to fix this?
Cheers

index.php

Arcane
Thanks for this!

It works great and I love it but the cutscenes won't play no matter what i try :( I have the latest quicktime, everything is in the correct folder, is there something I could try to fix this?
Cheers

Not sure why it isn't working, but as a workaround you can copy the CUTSCENE.GOR file from the Myth1 CD to your Myth II\cutscenes folder.

RadioRaheem

Barely Literate
It was just the into movie that wouldn't play it turns out. Weird. Thanks for the tip, I'll give this a go!

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Is The Fallen Levels really worth using? I'm playing the original with Project Magma right now and it seems to be working smoothly. I read that it makes the game easier too since dwarves are more reliable.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Should I make the switch if I'm already more than halfway through or just wait for a replay?

Slaver1

Savant
Myth 2 is the Best RTS ever and it's abandonware now. There's an HD overhaul and detail texture mod that fixes graphics completely as well like OP indicates. No excuse not to check it out.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Seems like there was a Myth-like clone released without broader public marketing:

Clone in the design/mechanics sense, not the atmosphere. I expect it to be rather soulless (so to speak) and bland, but the reviews are very positive.

Guvide

Educated
Thanks for sharing this. I've been playing the game the whole weekend. They don't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure.

kUi1h9O.jpg

ZGEwmGm.jpg

Those fucking dwarfs :x

Guvide

Educated
I've noticed something which did not used to happen. In mission 6 I had no warriors, and now in mission 7 I have several already with experience. I haven't checked their names, but I think they're probably ones from mission 5. In the original TFL you received experienced units only from the previous mission, all experienced units from older missions were lost. I haven't played Soulblighter as much as TFL so I don't remember how that game handled experienced units. Is this a Myth 2 mechanic or is it a mod thing?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've noticed something which did not used to happen. In mission 6 I had no warriors, and now in mission 7 I have several already with experience. I haven't checked their names, but I think they're probably ones from mission 5. In the original TFL you received experienced units only from the previous mission, all experienced units from older missions were lost. I haven't played Soulblighter as much as TFL so I don't remember how that game handled experienced units. Is this a Myth 2 mechanic or is it a mod thing?
I'm pretty certain that was how Myth 2 handled units.

Guvide

Educated
I'm pretty certain that was how Myth 2 handled units.
Ok. Not that I'm complaining about having more experienced units. :P

Lagi

Savant
Seems like there was a Myth-like clone released without broader public marketing:

Clone in the design/mechanics sense, not the atmosphere. I expect it to be rather soulless (so to speak) and bland, but the reviews are very positive.

Start playing it now. Great stuff. Gameplay are same like in Myth. The controls are better. Story after 3 missions is skippable. I have old laptop (Heretic with mods sometimes overheat it/ crash it), but this game load fast and run smooth (even on max resolution with max textures). Gore doesnt feel so juicy.

edit: there is NO friendly fire?! at least not with archers. Explosion deal suspiciously low dmg to own troops. (i play on Normal diff - on hard its similar)

Its nice that you have more healing. its more forgiving, and you can just move along and stop considering quick load after each casualties.

Freja is super fragile, one punch and she s dead - which is actually nice. looking at the sketches in intro i was quite sure she would benefit from "equality" and be tougher than warriors.

key setting options are great: i increase rotation with key speed, i put group of unit on ~ (instead 0), i switch some numbers with Shift + 1.

I can switch off the HP bar. but the texture on models graphical feedback is not enough to play without it.
the double blue rings, below models could be more subtle. I in general hate looking at HUD elements.

game speed controls are super intuitive, plus the music change is great.

the game speed change affect the game the most, with 0.25 the game is "what for i even need the warriors", while if you play it on 1.0 its like "i better take away alchemist to not kill my self"

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
just play first (4?) mission of myth2. Nordic Warriors does not have a start to Myth. NW writing is cringy AF, while Im genuine interested in the peripeteia of Cruniac and his fellow.
the game works/load instantly and dont burden my office device at all. controls are little better in NW, but the unit concepts, sounds (arrows), explosion, gore, even HP bars (less intrusive) are better in Myth.

apparently undeads are not interested in slaughtering every living being, only humans. So maybe they are some animal liberation front?
uKuX6NG.jpg

archers shouldn't be such effective as they are, against undeads. Thralls and Souless are not using they entrails (thralls made of human corpse, doesnt need oxygen to function, dont use lungs). Arrows effectiveness coming from penetrating vital organs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom