Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Nails -Beginning of Your "Heart Beat"- (NSFW)

shywn

Savant
It seems the last time I replied to a Let's Play thread here, I inadvertently killed the thread. So as my penance, I shall write an LP of my own.

5qMN5n0.png

The game is an H-RPG called Nails, released in 1997. It is from a studio called Jam. I've never heard of them, but this may be because they were active five years prior to me having been acquainted with these kinds of Japanese games.

Browsing through their web site through the Internet Archive, it seems they have released around seven games. This is the only RPG they've done.

The installer offered me a choice between truecolour graphics and 256-colour graphics. Personally, I found the truecolour variant kind of bland. The dithering seen in the 256-colour mode adds a certain kind of soul to the graphics, and in general it doesn't look worse at all. (OK, the darker scenes look a bit bad. But the image size is essentially one quarter now, which is a big plus.)

Oh, yes. The game is in Japanese. I am not aware of anyone ever having translated it to English. So I shall translate it for you!

Do mind that I do not completely comprehend the language. When I don't quite grasp a sentence, I will mark it with a yellow squiggly ~~. More squigglies means more unsureness. I'll also sometimes amuse you with some of the more bizarre results of Google Translate. (Fear not, this is not my primary method of translation! Or even my secondary, for that matter.)

Index

Note that each update is multiple posts in length (typically three) and the links above only go to the first post.

Backup

Here are Wayback Machine links in case imgur goes tits up sometime in the future:

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7 | Page 8 | Page 9

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
Without further ado, I'll start with the opening narration and the bizarre imagery it is supplied with. I know this is not a great start for an LP but I outsourced the translation here to Google, because frankly it did not seem very important to the plot, and the sentences, while not particularly hard to understand, were all rather long which adds certain difficulties to a proper translation. I did verify that the output of GT was understandable and roughly matched my idea of the original too.

(I put a short summary at the bottom of the post anyway.)

OgMXLF5.png

In this world,
There are those with and without nails ...​

fhkbvPA.png

Here is not the Earth,
The Wallestrea continues there.
It is the place where human beings and nail people live.​

mlnxxPV.png

Because the nail people have adapted to the harsh living environment,
Have ears to sense even the eyes that can be seen in the darkness and distant sounds,
It is a human being with stronger and more flexible muscles.

At first sight it is understood that it is a species different from humans,
They are also human beings who have evolved separately from humans,
It is possible to mate with human beings to that proof.​

MlCBBEu.png

The people and the people of the nails kept fighting over each other's right of existence.​

8NLNCb6.png

In order to protect that impotent body,
I took a weapon and wore armor.​

ORDTuRh.png

The nail 's people fleshly cultivated by living with nature,
I sharpened the sharp nails that I gained on the process of evolution.​

AFpXudI.png

The battle ended at any time and was over.
Just keep on exhausting many lives ...

After all this conflict brought about,
Rather than the decision of the ruler of this continent,
There was only a sharp decline and tiredness of the number of individual races.

Here the conflict has become a relatively small scale,
Peace of the beginning will be preserved.​

xtjp3Kb.png

Since several hundred years,
While people and nail people are divided into several nations,
It was to live in each form.

Under a certain state, coexisting,
Under a certain state, avoid mutual exchanges,
Under a certain state, I kept fighting.​

kdUtyXx.png

The Wallestrea continues only by the power which I still have,
It was an era in which its inquiry was questioned.​

MxYSUs6.png

Only the sword and the nail can depend on,
That was the law determined by the times.​

bgap2qG.png

The Kingdom of Altia, the stage for this story,
It is a nation of such a continent.

People and nail people coexist on the surface,
A country difficult to say ideal ...

As if trying such Kingdom of Altia,
Right now the winds of the times are about to blow ...​

fbGFiJy.png

Hopefully, I will protect the god of Zeinhad God ...​

End of narration. The last line should be: "Hopefully, we receive the divine protection of Zeinhad"

TL;DR: Humans split into humans and claw people during their evolutionary path. Humans have armour and weapons. Claw people have exceptional strength and agility and claws. They are hostile to each other.

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
4TUOsYg.png

While I was taking screenshots, I realised that this game actually has two four images for the main menu, picked at random. Nice touch.

bs1tI1V.png

[sound effect: two coconut halves being clapped against each other]​

JzpUVKS.png
What an easy day today was, Jamrock!

Minardi, although usually silent, hollered at me from horseback, possibly from the high caused by battle.​

d30HWT2.png
Yeah, it was.

My voice too sounded cheerful.​

d30HWT2.png
I want to reach home already so I can crash in my bed.

Minardi continued the conversation from there.​

JzpUVKS.png
With your skill, they'd treat you like a knight and get you a room of your own, you know.

JzpUVKS.png
You don't *need* to stay in your home village, Zaurusride, in the middle of nowhere.

This game has names that don't romanise easily. I'm using whatever Google translate suggested here, since it seems to be often doing better than I am in that matter.

d30HWT2.png
Haha, well, yeah.

JzpUVKS.png
Is it because you don't want to be separated from her?

d30HWT2.png
N, no.

JzpUVKS.png
Well, never mind then.

Minardi laughed in a lonely way for some reason.​

JzpUVKS.png
Ah, I can see the good old Altamina castle, at last!

xjz4IXQ.png

The Altamina castle soared above Altamina, the Altia kingdom's capital. It had finally come into view.​

Under the reign of king Pharmacy IV, the brushes with the neighbouring states and the claw people continue, but in general life is peaceful.​

Yes, like Richard the third, but this king is named Pharmacy the fourth.

This campaign too was such a brush, but we had a force of 100 knights and the battle finished quick.​

Our side was victorious, of course.​

Neither of us is exactly in a full-scale war right now, but with this victory, we should be able to just relax for a while.​

It's been three months since I've last seen Tim Timaya...​

But it feels like it's been a whole year.​

If I said that out loud, she'd just scold me that I was acting childish again.​

uVKAhF3.png

Zx4erFR.png
Over here, Jamrock.

d30HWT2.png
Sorry. I must've kept you waiting.

Zx4erFR.png
It's busy for you and there's nothing you can do about it.

d30HWT2.png
Mm... Coming home is kind of tough too.

d30HWT2.png
We're being sent on another campaign soon.

Zx4erFR.png
Keep care of yourself. I don't want to become a widow before I'm even married.

d30HWT2.png
I know, I know. I'd never die and leave you.

Zx4erFR.png
I know.

Zx4erFR.png

d30HWT2.png
Are you worried about that?

Zx4erFR.png
Well, that too, but...

Zx4erFR.png
I was wondering why we all fight like this.

d30HWT2.png
Can't be helped. Every country is having a food shortage. Altia is one of the better off ones.

Zx4erFR.png
Yeah, I know that, but...

y...​

eey...​

JzpUVKS.png
Heeey, Jamrock!

XjXYoS2.png

d30HWT2.png
Mm? Oh, sorry. What's wrong?

JzpUVKS.png
I've been trying to get your attention for a while now.

d30HWT2.png
What?

As I turned my head towards where Minardi was nodding at, I saw a soldier, not yet dusty, bearing the same emblems as us; possibly a messenger from the castle.​

Google Translate: When Minardi turned his eyes towards chin hurting, there seemed to be a use from the castle, like the guys after the march, there was a figure of a dirty kingdom guard soldier.

BcLQoOE.png

kclgf3u.png
Is there a Jamrock of Zaurusride in your party?

He seemed to have been calling my name for a while now, moving his gaze back and forth.​

d30HWT2.png
Over here! I am Jamrock of Zaurusride.

kclgf3u.png
.....!

The soldier showed an anxious expression for an instant for some reason.​

kclgf3u.png
Are you Jamrock of Zaurusride?

He said in a hesitating tone when approaching me. ~~

d30HWT2.png
That's what I'm called.

kclgf3u.png

When I lower my gaze, the soldier slowly shifted his gaze upwards towards me and said:​

kclgf3u.png
Zaurusride has been attacked by the claw people.

67CJb2k.png
...!

JzpUVKS.png
What? Zaurusride is two days' horseback journey away from Altamina! How on earth did that happen? ~~

kclgf3u.png
It was a nocturnal attack, over in an instant. We only got the reports a short while ago and decided on --

I wasn't going to stay there to listen to the rest.​

I first loosen the reins and then grab them tight.​

The horse neighed, forgot the leisurely stroll he had been on until now, and dashed out of the troop.​

JzpUVKS.png
Wait, Jamrock! I'll come with you!

G2aW5ur.png

The war horse running at full gallop, though a swift steed, felt as slow as a cow to me right now.​

GT: The fighting speed of a war horse that should be running at full speed is felt like a cow.

Still not there...​

Still not there...!​

The familiar road, running from the castle homewards, felt terribly long.​

But on the other hand, apart from never arriving, the hopeful feelings gain strength in my head. ~~~~

GT: On the other hand, however, desiring feelings of mind bothers even not to arrive forever.

As long as I'm still not there, I can keep my hopes up.​

...no!​

I shook off the feelings that were swelling inside me.​

JzpUVKS.png
Jamrock, are you okay?

I hadn't noticed that the horse had slowed down. Minardi had caught up to me and was now riding next to me.​

d30HWT2.png
Yeah.

Such a short answer was the best I could do.​

JzpUVKS.png
I can see it now.

d30HWT2.png

GGmsv0j.png

The village of Zaurusride was visible ahead of us.​

You could see it at a glance. The smoke rising was not from the hearths cooking supper, but from the light of torches... ~~

GT: You can see at a glance that you are standing before your eyes is not the smoke of the evening but the light of the torch

d30HWT2.png
Dad, Mum...

d30HWT2.png
Everyone...

d30HWT2.png
Tim Timaya...

d30HWT2.png
Please be safe...

Do you guys need smaller character icons?

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
Here's the glorified slideshow that passed for opening animations those days. Not Safe For Work.

After the OP, the prologue continues.

bAqCrxO.png

Five years later...​

W4OkP9i.png

Castle town of Altamina.​

HVsrmQ4.png

[SFX: clashing sounds]​

d30HWT2.png
Okay, everybody pause now!

The students stopped at once.​

d30HWT2.png
I will teach you a higher level technique today.

I take the bokken (wooden sword) by my side.​

It feels light, of course.​

In the middle of the drill hall, in the space the students had opened up for me, I stand facing a practice pole.​

GT: In the middle of the teaching place the students opened, they confront Paul for practice.

I take a posture with my sword and calm my breath. ~~

[SFX: heartbeat]​

I feel the strength emanating inside my body all the way from my heels.​

I collect it to my abdomen.​

67CJb2k.png
Haa!

As I exhaled, my arms sprang up and swung downwards.​

vaxlOCi.png
Sliced ... with a bokken?

The practice pole, machined from hardwood, was sliced from the middle.​

d30HWT2.png
If you steady your breath and release the strength within you in an explosive manner, you will learn to do this.

d30HWT2.png
It is a technique called the palpitation stir. It's not of much use in the battlefield since you don't generally have the time to get your breath right. ~~

GT: It is a technique called beating fetal movement.

As I was finishing my speech, the church bells rang to inform of the evening hour.​

d30HWT2.png
Okay, that's it for today. Remember to practise.

With the standard greetings I raise my hand, and the students bow and leave in small groups.​

GT: While raising a formal phrase, raising one hand, the students bow and scatter into three or five generations.

I had already grown used to my routine.​

d30HWT2.png
Phew.

I finish up my work in the fencing dojo, and head home.​

jCJMSkz.png

The same time as always, the same route home as always.​

The time has been still like this for over two years now.​

Three years since the attack of the claw people.​

I have been fighting to shake free from everything.​

My work primarily has involved keeping the rebellion of the claw people in check.​

I've only been able to forget everything when I'm swinging my sword.​

My sword, which failed to protect Tim Timaya.​

When I finally got tired of swinging it, I decided to leave the chivalry.​

That was the time when...​

xlmVyHl.png

8m9knWs.png
So, I can't make you change your mind in any way?

d30HWT2.png
That is so.

8m9knWs.png
You're trusted and you have talent. There's nobody else able to do the job of the captain of the chivalry.

d30HWT2.png
I'm terribly sorry.

8m9knWs.png
Is it the events of three years ago?

d30HWT2.png

8m9knWs.png
Sorry, my question was impolite, please take no offence.

d30HWT2.png
Not at all.

8m9knWs.png
But, it is regrettable...

d30HWT2.png

KLx27FZ.png

zxMn5GL.png
Your majesty, wasn't the position of the fencing instructor still open?

This fellow is named Minister Galiba

8m9knWs.png
? Hm ... I think it was ...

zxMn5GL.png
Jamrock, wouldn't you stay here at the castle for a while, for the sake of the younger generation?

GT: Are you planning to stay in the castle for a while because of backwards?

d30HWT2.png
But...

zxMn5GL.png
It's not that I cannot comprehend your feelings. However, would leaving the castle really make much difference?

d30HWT2.png

zxMn5GL.png
As a fencing instructor, you shouldn't need to set foot on the battlefield. How about it? Will you accept the position?

GT: If swordsmanship is south, it will not be on the battlefield. How is it? Will you take over?

d30HWT2.png
I am most grateful for your kindness, so much that I lack words for it.

zxMn5GL.png
Then, will you take the position?

d30HWT2.png
Yes.

zxMn5GL.png
Your majesty, will you appoint Jamrock?

8m9knWs.png
Hm, well then, Jamrock. I shall appoint you to the position of Altia kingdom's fencing instructor.

d30HWT2.png
I accept the position.

8D0Tj6h.png

As I wished to bid farewell to the battlefield, I had no reason to refuse.​

It is thanks to minister Galiba and king Pharmacy IV, that I can keep living like this. I am unskilled in all other pursuits, after all.​

Two years after that...​

I've finally come accustomed to this life.​

To be honest, I haven't managed to unbind myself completely of my past, nor do I think that I have.​

Just that as time went by, the ready-to-burst, piercing rage had become a part of me.​

Whether that is a good thing or not, I do not know.​

While lost in thought, I heard my footsteps echo in the desolate alley I was passing.​

It was a normal day like that. Or should have been.​

Bump!​

wQBWoTG.png
Kyah!

d30HWT2.png
...!!

Lost in thought, I felt a sudden impact hit my back, and I quickly turned around.​

FklVvXb.png

It seems she had bumped into me and fallen down.​

d30HWT2.png
Sorry. Are you okay?

It was probably her that bumped into me, but I still apologised to the girl on the ground.​

She was probably only around fifteen years old. Not the kind of girl that would loiter around the town this late.​

She seemed to be frightened, but she eventually turned her eyes towards me.​

That moment, the fright in her eyes suddenly disappeared.​

wQBWoTG.png
Ah, er ...

I hear loud footsteps approaching.​

OFnqORj.png

Four men surround us.​

wQBWoTG.png
Err ...

I hold back the girl, who is trying to say something.​

One of the four men, possibly the leader, spoke to me.​

j2r6LYo.png
How 'bout you give the girl to us?

Well, what should I do?​

1. Refuse
  2. Rile them up

Should I let the Codexian hivemind decide?

Dayyālu

Arcane
I am weirdly amused by those games. A least, when I experience them on the Playground.

Let's hope you keep up and this is stoopid as it looks. Age of Decadence taught me how to approach such things.

2) RILE THEM UP

OFnqORj.png

Standard Codexers in their traditional hunting dress

shywn

Savant
I'm not sure this is stupid, at least not terribly so. But what do I know, this is my first time playing this and I only finished the prologue literally last Friday.

I think the prose is pretty decent quality though.

(It was a long prologue. I estimate that we're only about 20 % into it right now.)

"Rile them up" *click*​

d30HWT2.png
How predictable of you.

j2r6LYo.png
All you have is a single wooden sword. I don't know which school's pupil you are, but do you really think that you stand a chance against the four of us?

d30HWT2.png
I guess you know what I'll say next, since we're following the script and all?

Dude, you suck at riling people up.

I felt the bloodlust swelling around me. These guys are for real.​

They unsheathe their swords.​

lXR61oH.png

Enemy encounter!

2HwGeE5.png

Our enemies are, in order: Mysterious man A, Mysterious man B, Mysterious man C, and Mysterious man D. One of each.

You look a bit alike, are you cousins or something?

I guess I'll spend this post to tell you of the combat system/interface.

m7PHJGr.png

We have 150 hit points (called 'damage points' in the game), and 80 of something called 'work points'. I'm not sure what the work points are for but I guess we'll die or something if they run out.

The options in the menu are:

Attack
Defend
Special attacks
Persuade
Retreat​

Attacking and defending and the others all take a single work point.

The Special attacks submenu has three items. They're fancy attacks, as I'm sure you can guess from the name.

OK, I lied. It's not named "Special attacks", but that Palpitation Stir crap I made up in my last post. Beating Foetal Movements, what Google called them. Ah, hell. I'll just call them "Heartbeat attacks" from now on, since if you open the menu, you get a heartbeat sound effect with it.

I'll come back to them later, since they're not exactly needed in these difficult prologue fights. They attack multiple enemies at once or attack with more damage, but use more work points.

What this game suffers from is that it does not respond to any keyboard commands. I don't really get why, but a lot of (possibly even the majority of) Japanese game studios of this sort made games that take zero or near-zero keyboard input ever since they transitioned to Win95. Keyboard control only became a certainty around 2001 or 2002.

Let's select "Attack" *click*

Then I'm supposed to click on the enemy I wish to attack. Let's select Mysterious Man A from the rightmost window. *click*

Are you sure? Left click if OK, right click to cancel. *click*

VfnL1j9.png

Shall we proceed with the plan? [Y/N] *click*

Jamrock attacks Mysterious Man A! *click*

Mysterious Man A gets 25 damage! Mysterious Man A falls down! *click*

Mysterious Man C attacks Jamrock with a sword! *click*

Jamrock takes 1 damage! *click*

Mysterious Man B attacks Jamrock with a sword! *click*

Jamrock parries! *click*

Mysterious Man D attacks Jamrock with a sword! *click*

But he misses! *click*

dNXFjU7.png

...And Then There Were Three...

I mean, this would be quite okay if I had a gamepad or something but all this clicking makes me mad.

Anyway, back to exploring the interface.

I click the purple button that says P1 to open a handy status window.

lUx9OAU.png

"Hey, wait, I can't see a thing with all those windows open!" you say.

Hold on, let me give you an uncropped screenshot.

OBjyng6.png

You see, this game runs as a fullscreen window. I can move the subwindows to the empty space, like this:

37wFYHH.png

Much better, isn't it?

Anyway, for the sake of this LP, I'll keep the cramped view.

The orange sphere labelled 'SYS' opens up the system menu where I can load and exit and other stuff.

The one labelled 'WIN' gives me some options about the window settings I just introduced.

'MAP' gives, well, a map. It is non-clickable AFAIK.

CylhHdd.png

In the north near the river is the Altamina castle town. The river flows into the Sea of Dithering in the northwest.

The downwards-pointing arrowhead on the lower right enters fast-forward mode. It is disabled during battle.

Anyway, back to the battle at hand. I defeat Mysterious Man B and Mysterious Man C.

hhTaf0g.png

Mysterious Man D looks kind of tough, so I think I'll try retreating?

Jamrock tries to escape!

But the path is blocked!

Oh, guess I'll have to fight you too then.

zIr9V3T.png

Victory!

Jamrock recovers full hit points

tUwwlu8.png

j2r6LYo.png
Khh...

Though all I had was a wooden sword, the men sustained pretty heavy wounds and lied battered on the ground.​

d30HWT2.png
Want some more? I'd prefer you still be able to walk home.

j2r6LYo.png
Damn... let's go!

Having received the command, the men disappear in a dash.​

d30HWT2.png

Crossing swords makes my blood heat up again.​

This moment alone makes me feel whole.​

.......​

Oh right, that girl they were chasing...​

wftCZU4.png

The girl was still sitting there, her eyes wide open in blank amazement​

Well, what should I do?​

1. Escort her home
  2. Ignore her and leave

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Of course, we

1) ESCORT HER HOME

Can't wait to get a shiv in the back. If that does not happen I'll write a letter of complaints that this game is not hardcore enough.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Guess this is a doujin?

Married protagonist, eh? Expect the village to be attacked and wife killed before long.

shywn

Savant
No, not a doujin game. A proper commercial game.

d30HWT2.png
...Are you okay?

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, yes. Er... thank you!

The girl immediately stood up and bowed to me.​

d30HWT2.png
It's like you're asking to be assaulted, if you walk around outside at this hour.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

The Japanese word 'hai' is often closer to 'understood' than 'yes' but I'll keep it translating it as 'yes' since 'understood' sounds too formal.

TTUkr0k.png

d30HWT2.png
Well, those guys did not really seem like assaulters of that sort. Where is your house? I'll escort you. ~~

wQBWoTG.png
Er, ah, err...

She stumbles with her words. Probably to be expected, after being chased by that bunch.​

d30HWT2.png
My name is Jamrock. I'm employed as the royal fencing instructor currently. I'm not a suspicious guy or anything.

wQBWoTG.png
Err, well, no, I didn't mean that!

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
Ahh... I ... don't remember. My house. Or who I am.

d30HWT2.png
...?

oTxqHPa.png

wQBWoTG.png

The girl in front of my eyes only remembered a single thing: that her name was Minvi.​

When she came to earlier this evening, she was in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the town, standing all alone, which that bunch noticed and started chasing her, she says. ~~

She has no recollection of earlier things.​

Until she bumped into me, the only thing she had been doing was fleeing from them.​

wQBWoTG.png
Urk ... *cough cough cough*!

d30HWT2.png
Look, calm down when you eat.

wQBWoTG.png
So -- Sorry...

wQBWoTG.png
*cough cough cough*!

d30HWT2.png

I decided to bring this girl, who lacked any memory except of the flight, to my house for the time being.​

She had possibly not eaten for the whole day, or at least for the time she had been running. This was already the third bowl of stew that was emptied.​

By the way, I'm still not through my first bowl.​

d30HWT2.png
She gives no hint of where she's from ... ~~

GT: There is no line like a girlfriend

wQBWoTG.png
Er, pardon?

I was supposed to say that too quietly for her to hear, but now she had her eyes looking at me, blinking with surprise.​

MCREs3a.png

How should I answer?​

1. Never mind, just talking to myself.
  2. You sure have a good appetite
  3. Tell the truth

I'll answer this one. 3. Tell the truth.

d30HWT2.png
You give no hint of where you're from ...

I rephrased what I had previously said.​

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, you never know. ~~

wQBWoTG.png
I don't care if you end up thinking, "She turned out to be the sole daughter of a rich family and I really should have been a bit nicer to her"

GT: I was the only monolayer of the monkey monkey, I should have kept it at that time, I do not even know what I thought!

Yes, Google. You grasped that sentence perfectly. Well done.

With her puffing her cheeks and acting all sulky, I couldn't help laughing.​

GT: I smiled unexpectedly to a girl who showed a slight cheek inflating and looking like a shit.

I wouldn't believe that she'd lost her memory, with her acting like this.​

wQBWoTG.png
Thank you for the meal.

d30HWT2.png
Yeah...

I had forgotten how to answer to something like that so I ended up stumbling with my words.​

wQBWoTG.png
*chuckle*

d30HWT2.png
You're there laughing all carefree, but I could be the same sort of guy as the ones who were chasing you, couldn't I?

GT: I'm laughing at the brain weather, but I guess it might be the same as the other guys earlier?

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, I'm safe all right.

She seemed brimming with confidence.​

wQBWoTG.png
I have a real good eye for people, I think.

d30HWT2.png
How can you be so sure?

wQBWoTG.png
When I saw those people in the market, I knew that they'd end up chasing me, and when I saw you, I knew that you'd for sure save me.

d30HWT2.png
I think you're making too much of those two events.

wQBWoTG.png
That's why I said I'm safe.

Minvi smiled at me, without a sliver of doubt in her mind.​

I sighed, thinking that she was possibly just leading me around by the nose.​

GT: I spit unexpectedly. It seems that somehow it is taken over by the boss.

d30HWT2.png
Anyway, don't you have any memory, clue, anything where we could start from?

She only carried a single holy symbol, a common one that could be found anywhere. No other personal belongings.​

I guess I have nothing else but to trust her memory.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... well...

She closed her eyes and cast her face down, as if probing her inner self.​

I don't know how long she spent there probing herself. It felt like a quite long time, but it could have been quite short too.​

Just when I was thinking that the awkward silence had continued for quite a while, Minvi suddenly lifted her face back up.​

wQBWoTG.png
Sorry. I can't remember anything at all.

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

wQBWoTG.png

Minvi cast her face down again, this time with a mournful expression.​

She seemed terribly fragile, so much that I could not connect her to the girl that was merrily eating at my table just a bit earlier.​

d30HWT2.png
She's not exactly someone I'd like to associate with, but ...

I said to Minvi with a sigh.​

d30HWT2.png
There's a good fortune-teller in this town. Maybe she can tell you something. Let's go there early tomorrow morning.

wQBWoTG.png
Ah ... Yes.

Her sad expression was swept away and for some reason, I felt relief.​

I felt awkward because of that, so I continued with rapid speech.​

d30HWT2.png
Er, she's a spiteful old hag and I'd rather not have anything to do with her, but at this point, we don't really have a choice.

wQBWoTG.png
*chuckle*

Minvi chuckled a bit. I think she found me funny.​

The earlier feeling of relief I found so irritating, grew stronger.​

d30HWT2.png
Tomorrow's an early rise so let's head to bed already. The old hag's stall seems to be thriving, so we may have to stand in queue for a while.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

r1Bct5n.png

I gave my bed to Minvi and sat on a chair staring at a corner of my apartment.​

There, wrapped in a torn cloth, leaned a cylinder-shaped thing, almost my height.​

I walk there and take it into my hand, carefully so that I won't wake up Minvi.​

A mouldy smell erupts from the cloth.​

I touch the leather straps that bind it halfway up.​

I neglect to loosen the ornamented straps and they tear off with a dull sound. ~~~

I peel off the cloth and reveal a sword from beneath.​

Grab the handle, and slide off the tight-fitting scabbard.​

The oil I spread on the blade two years ago clings between the sword and the scabbard.​

*slide*​

My face reflects with a blur on the drawn-out blade.​

GT: In my draft sweetheart, my face appears dull.

Neither the grip nor the scabbard have ornamentation. Only the silvery steel, now revealed, speaks of the sword's top quality. ~~

I verify that neither side has rust, and put the sword back in its scabbard again.​

pf6E8sk.png

wQBWoTG.png
Ohh, this town has quite a bit of bustle.

d30HWT2.png
Well, it is the capital after all. Don't you live here?

wQBWoTG.png
Er, I'm not sure. But I feel like I'm seeing it for the first time.

d30HWT2.png
Anyway, the place we're looking for ... should be this way I guess...

wQBWoTG.png
Don't you know?

Minvi smiled mischievously when she said that.​

d30HWT2.png
I was hoping I'd never have to visit that place again.

wQBWoTG.png
Huh? That thing on your back...

What Minvi was pointing at was my previously-beloved sword, which had not seen sunlight in two years.​

GT: There was my former love sword in Miniwi 's finger pointing towards sunlight for the first time in two years.

d30HWT2.png
This?

wQBWoTG.png
Yeah, that's a real one, isn't it?

d30HWT2.png
Yeah, it's tough with a wooden sword if we happen to run into someone who has more skill than the bunch from yesterday...

While we were talking, we arrived to a place where there were several tents in a row.​

I find the one we're looking for immediately.​

It did by no means stand out. Just that it was a tent I had seen so many times that I had been fed up with it already. ~~

GT: There is not particularly conspicuous place. It's simply because it is a tender-looking tent.

In front of the tent, there was a sign, saying "fortune-telling, consultations"​

It seems there was no customer inside. I guess it paid off to come so early.​

d30HWT2.png
I'm coming in, Mrs Harlin.

'Mrs' is way wrong here. The Japanese 'baasan' is a pretty neutral or respectful term for an elderly woman. I previously translated it as 'old hag' though...

koNyG64.png
Ooh, I was wondering when you'd arrive. Come in.

A hoarse voice responded from the tent. It seems that that monster hag was still alive.​

After I had entered the tent, Minvi came in with her shoulders in.​

mQ7uLqu.png

The tent was the size of a small house. In the middle was a table with a crystal ball on top, and an old woman was there sitting, facing the ball.​

d30HWT2.png
Long time no see, old hag.

As I said above, this is a very respectful 'old hag'

koNyG64.png
You look healthy. And it seems you've picked up a girl too. Did your old wounds finally heal? ~~

wQBWoTG.png
Old ... wounds?

d30HWT2.png
If you want to live longer, don't blabber needlessly, old hag.

koNyG64.png
Yees, it would be pointless to test your sword on me, with that two-year pause. ~~

d30HWT2.png
A wise choice.

koNyG64.png
Well, let's cut the jokes. What did you come here for? Do you want to know your compatibility with the girl? It's 30 % off today.

wQBWoTG.png
Eh, err, no...

d30HWT2.png
Old hag, this is serious.

The old hag was just laughing detachedly, not really concerned with what I was saying. ~~

GT: But this grandmother is laughing all day with a plan like my breathless wind.

Though I've gotten used to her behaviour, it still makes me angry.​

FKetmdU.png

So I ...​

1. Become angry
  2. Calm down

shywn

Savant
2. Calm down. *click*

Right.​

If I keep getting angry at her every time, my body'll only break.​

koNyG64.png
Hm hm, it seems your discipline has improved. Well done. Just as one can expect from the number one captain candidate of the chivalry.

d30HWT2.png
Old hag, shall we stop with the chit-chat?

koNyG64.png
What, how boring. Mocking you is this elderly woman's lone fun pastime.

This is why I did not want to ask for her help.​

d30HWT2.png
I'll only tell you this once so listen.

I summarised everything that had happened thus far to Harlin. The men who were chasing Minvi, that she had lost her memory, and that we didn't really have anything to work with either.​

I was not sure whether she was even listening. Well, normally, if I tell someone to /not/ listen, she'll most certainly listen, but ... Harlin spent the whole time gazing at the crystal ball without a single movement. ~~~

d30HWT2.png
...and that's it in a nutshell.

koNyG64.png
Hm.

wQBWoTG.png

d30HWT2.png
Can you tell us something, old hag?

koNyG64.png
Miss, could you come here for a bit?

wQBWoTG.png
Mm? Ah, yes.

koNyG64.png
Peek into this crystal ball.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

koNyG64.png
Stay put for a while.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

koNyG64.png
You will feel your strength draining.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

koNyG64.png
Try to slowly recall yesterday.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

koNyG64.png
And then, the day before that.

wQBWoTG.png
Ye...

wQBWoTG.png
Oww!

d30HWT2.png
Minvi?

wQBWoTG.png
My ... my head!

koNyG64.png
Can't remember?

d30HWT2.png
Harlin, what did you do to Minvi?

koNyG64.png
Don't rush, it'll stop in a moment.

wQBWoTG.png
Ow ... it hurts ... oo... oh?

Minvi's expression changed from suffering to a daze, and she stood up.​

wQBWoTG.png
What happened to me?

koNyG64.png
Hmm ... she seems to have her memories sealed off with a rather strong spell.

d30HWT2.png
A spell?

koNyG64.png
Yes. They call it hypnosis. It puts people into a half asleep state, and then they can instil orders to people.

koNyG64.png
Jamrock, you should escort this girl.

d30HWT2.png
Escort where? We still don't know.

koNyG64.png
She's one of those Zeinhad ones, isn't she?

d30HWT2.png
Are you talking about the holy symbol? Half of the population is carrying one just like that.

koNyG64.png
No, this holy symbol is special. Only five have one in this country.

d30HWT2.png
W... what?

koNyG64.png
She seems to be a miko of the Zeinhad church, and a pretty high-ranking one at that.

This game for some reason has appropriated some shinto terms for the religion. 'Miko' would mean a shrine maiden. I guess I could translate it as a plain 'priestess' but something about that feels off.

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... what do you mean by that?

koNyG64.png
A normal holy symbol would be made of slightly different materials than this one.

d30HWT2.png
Really?

koNyG64.png
Only the mikos who have much talent and training, and pass a test may wear it. Only around one of every hundred pass.

d30HWT2.png
I've never heard of that.

koNyG64.png
It's one of the secrets of the Zeinhad church.

d30HWT2.png
How do you know that?

koNyG64.png
Who do you take me for?

d30HWT2.png
I see.

d30HWT2.png
Anyway, it seems we now know where to go. Good. ~~

wQBWoTG.png
Huh? Err ...

d30HWT2.png
If Minvi is indeed a high-ranking miko of the Zeinhad church, if we just find a temple, we should get some clues, right?

koNyG64.png
Yes. As it's a church, the people there should know how to handle that kind of spells. But, for the same reason, you should be careful in your journey.

d30HWT2.png
I know. It's clear that some ruffians like yesterday's may attack us.

d30HWT2.png
Is the fee for your services still the same?

I say, while untangling my pursestrings.​

koNyG64.png
Yes. Oh by the way, Jamrock ...

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
...?

koNyG64.png
It was in the announcements this morning, but ...

At this moment, the tent's door flung wide open, and several soldiers marched in. ~~

NCNLatT.png

Is that a fancy bowl or a second crystal ball in the background?

koWVu7A.png
We received a report that Lady Minvi, the number one in line of succession to the role of church temple priest, and her abductor, Jamrock, are here. We're coming in! ~~

Gosh that is a long string of kanji. I usually see five or six kanji in a row at most, but this one is fourteen kanji ...

wQBWoTG.png
Huh!?

d30HWT2.png
What!?

OK, how did I get into *this* mess?

koWVu7A.png
You're Jamrock, aren't you? We're arresting you. Let Lady Minvi go and surrender yourself!

koNyG64.png
[continuing from her last line] You're considered to have abducted Minvi, so watch out.

d30HWT2.png
Sheesh. Couldn't have told us that earlier?

koWVu7A.png
I was ordered to use force if you resist. So be prepared!

The sound of drawn swords echoes.​

They're carrying spears in the picture though.

koNyG64.png
Would you mind not shedding blood in my shop?

When saying that, she pulled a string that was dangling next to her seat.​

koWVu7A.png
...What!?

Their voices were muffled by the tent fabric falling from above. ~~

KVV3riz.png

wQBWoTG.png
I ... can't see a thing?

d30HWT2.png
You're pretty sly, you know.

koNyG64.png
If you exit from the back, you'll find a narrow road. You should use it.

d30HWT2.png
I'll be indebted to you.

koNyG64.png
Well, try not to get caught first.

wQBWoTG.png
Huh? Kyah!? [surprised shriek]

I grabbed Minvi's hand and left the place, with Harlin's words on my mind.​

qpbSurR.png

d30HWT2.png
Huh, here too?

I caught sight of soldiers apparently searching for us all over the main street.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er, if ... if I just explained the situation to them, shouldn't it all work out?

d30HWT2.png
With your lost memory? They'd just call you a fake and it would not end up well.

wQBWoTG.png
...urgh

d30HWT2.png
Even if they were to believe you, with the relations between the church and the royal palace being what they are... We'd just be used as bargaining chips for their political games.

GT: Even if Yoshimabe overshadows me, the relationship between the church and the royal palace is never better. It will be punchy to be used for bored political bargaining.

wQBWoTG.png
Is that so?

d30HWT2.png
So for now, the safe thing to do is to get you to Zeinhad temple and get my name cleared there...

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

d30HWT2.png
Now that that's decided, I want to get out of here all the more...

vqYs2f1.png

RCaEMXz.png
Over here! They're over here!

wQBWoTG.png
!?

d30HWT2.png
Minvi! Over here!

wQBWoTG.png
Kya!?

xoRl8LJ.png

I pull her arm with all my strength to direct her out of the main street.​

The guards at the gate seem to have noticed the turmoil too, and although the situation has them confused, they have readied their spears.​

Right now, I ...​

1. Bulldoze our way through
  2. Think of a way
  3. Surrender

Well, it doesn't really matter, the game railroads us anyway. 2. Think of a way.

I could easily break through if I didn't mind slaying the soldiers one by one, but without bloodshed? Impossible.​

What should I do?​

Besides, even if we did get out of here, it'll take a whole day to get to the Zeinhad temple by foot.​

I'm used to marching, but Minvi? She probably couldn't handle the trip.​

How should I transport her then? ~~

This is not the time to think about that...​

koNyG64.png
You look like you're having trouble, Jamrock.

d30HWT2.png
Old hag!?

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, Harlin-san.

koNyG64.png
I figured you'd need some kind of transportation. Treat it as a farewell gift.

HQkpqlV.png
Neeeigh.

She was pulling a horse.​

d30HWT2.png
Thanks, I'll make it up to you for sure.

koNyG64.png
Oh, you've already made up for it.

d30HWT2.png
...?

koNyG64.png
You left your purse in my tent.

d30HWT2.png
I don't think you know what 'gift' means...

koNyG64.png
Is this the correct time to argue about that?

I notice some guards running towards us.​

d30HWT2.png
Anyway, thanks.

koNyG64.png
Mm. I packed you some supplies too.

d30HWT2.png
Minvi! Get up on the horse!

I did not care to talk to Harlin any more. As I jump onto the horse, I pull Minvi up there too.​

wQBWoTG.png
Yes?

I made sure that Minvi was well seated behind me, and pulled the reins tight.​

wQBWoTG.png
Kya!?

koNyG64.png
Be careful on your trip!

I wasn't sure whether she actually meant it, but I left her encouragement behind and forced the horse to a gallop.​

JtLEJz0.png

The town gates were soon in my view.​

You could see the startled expression of the guards as they ready their spears and come to grasp the situation.​

I mustn't use my sword on them.​

I prepare for the coming moment by holding the reins short.​

67CJb2k.png
Haa!

I clasp the reins, lower my body, and as the horse lowers his, I move my weight back to the front again. ~~

wQBWoTG.png
Ah! I'm falling! I'll fall!

Oh right, I forgot that Minvi was on the horse too.​

The horse kicks his front hooves into the air, exposing his belly right as we're about to pass the guards.​

RCaEMXz.png
Uwaa!?

The sudden hoof attack from the horse made the guards shout from surprise.​

Following the horse's movements, I move my weight again.​

wQBWoTG.png
Kyaaaaa!

Due to Minvi's position, the horse's hind legs dragged the ground as he made his jump, but we still somehow made it.​

Doka!​

The horse landed, taking a shock to his body.​

AtBhQ7o.png

wQBWoTG.png
Oww... I hit my nose real hard...

d30HWT2.png
Suck it up.

We just need to sprint now, without looking back.​

XDcAvYc.png

The tumult of Altamina castle town was soon left behind.​

leino

Cipher
d30HWT2.png
Even if they were to believe you, with the relations between the church and the royal palace being what they are... We'd just be used as bargaining chips for their political games.

GT: Even if Yoshimabe overshadows me, the relationship between the church and the royal palace is never better. It will be punchy to be used for bored political bargaining.

:lol:
also i'm glad we didn't get angry with the old crone.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's ironic how this game looks like something made by a contemporay western indie like Hanako Games. Almost surreal.

shywn

Savant
uK4Edzp.png

We ran the horse for three koku after we left Altamina, up until when the sun was already setting, and then we took a rest.​

Koku is an old Japanese time unit. About two hours in modern units, if I've understood correctly.

d30HWT2.png
They probably can't track us any more as we're this far.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

Minvi, still anxious, was still clutching my cloak when replying.​

d30HWT2.png
The horse we got was pretty good, which was fortunate, but I am a bit miffed that it cost me a whole month's wages.

wQBWoTG.png
A whole month's wages ... eh? How will you survive from now?

d30HWT2.png
It's not like I'm going to get paid next month anyway, being the kidnapper of the number one prospect to the temple priest and all...

wQBWoTG.png
...That's not what I meant.

d30HWT2.png
I can't really hope for any advance payments unless I first bring you to the temple and get proved innocent again.

I don't really know why, but Google Translate suddenly changed its 'Zeinhad' to 'Zyngdad' for this line. I'm not displeased with the change.

wQBWoTG.png

d30HWT2.png
It was thoughtful of the old hag to pack in food too, so we don't have to starve before we get to the church.

GT: My wife kept his attention and kept the food, so I was not supposed to not eat without drinking until I got to church.

wQBWoTG.png
The situation sure turned out bad for some reason...

d30HWT2.png
Well, as I'm the kidnapper of successor candidate number one of the temple church, I figured it'd turn out something like this.

String of sixteen kanji... sheesh. I haven't the faintest clue why they say 'temple church' or otherwise seem to swap between 'temple' and 'church' freely.

wQBWoTG.png
Ohh...

wQBWoTG.png
I don't really understand it all yet, but that's probably how it is.

d30HWT2.png
What is?

wQBWoTG.png
Er .. The temple church successor candidate number one part.

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Well, if someone asked me, "who on earth would understand something like that?" I wouldn't know how to answer. ~~~~

GT: Well then, if anyone tells me who they are feeling ... ... I'm in trouble.

wQBWoTG.png
The thought frightens me a bit.

d30HWT2.png
Frightens?

wQBWoTG.png
Yes. What was I like, the previous me I'm now unfamiliar with.

wQBWoTG.png
What happens to me if I get my memories back?

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Those kinds of thoughts frighten me.

wQBWoTG.png
Ahaha, what am I saying?

Minvi sparked an awkward smile.​

nHvZ83W.png

In response to her, I say:​

1. People don't change just because they get a title.
  2. Minvi is Minvi.
  3. Your previous self is your true self.

d30HWT2.png
People don't change just because they get a title.

wQBWoTG.png
Yeah ... you're right...

wQBWoTG.png
That's how it must be...

wQBWoTG.png
Thank you, Jamrock-san.

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Sorry! For saying these strange things.

d30HWT2.png
No, not at all.

wQBWoTG.png

wQBWoTG.png
Err...

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... Jamrock ... san

d30HWT2.png
What?

wQBWoTG.png
What about your past? What does it contain?

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
You know, back with that old fortune-teller lady, she seemed to know you well.

wQBWoTG.png
That you were the number one choice for being the captain of the chivalry or...

wQBWoTG.png
I'd like to know stuff like that, more of you.

d30HWT2.png

d30HWT2.png
We're making camp here today.

wQBWoTG.png
Huh?

d30HWT2.png
At this rate, we should arrive at the Zeinhad temple by tomorrow evening. We shouldn't force ourself to a quicker pace.

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... err?

I half ignore Minvi and get down from the horse.​

Not caring about Minvi's confused expression, I tie the reins to a nearby tree and take down the luggage.​

3dvTqiq.png

wQBWoTG.png
Did you hear what I said?

d30HWT2.png

My past, huh?​

My chest hurts and I wish to scream out loud. That sort of loneliness pervades me if I just think of my past.​

wQBWoTG.png

I could see both the feelings of awkwardness and appeal in her eyes.​

d30HWT2.png

v15MB6w.png

So, how should I answer?​

1. What do you want to know?
  2. [silence]

If I choose the other option, she'll wander off into the woods and run across some soldiers and I'll have a lot more to translate.

d30HWT2.png
What do you want to know?

Minvi breathed a sigh of relief thanks to those words.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er, well, then ... how about your family?

d30HWT2.png
They're dead. Five years ago.

wQBWoTG.png
What?

d30HWT2.png
In a night raid of the claw people. I was on a campaign in a neighbouring country then, and couldn't make it back in time.

wQBWoTG.png
S--Sorry!

d30HWT2.png
It doesn't matter, it's a thing of the past...

wQBWoTG.png
B-but...

She looks at me with an apologetic face.​

Silence envelops us.​

...no.​

I can hear the faint sound of the grass rustling ... from multiple directions.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... I'm sorry.

d30HWT2.png
Shush!

wQBWoTG.png
What?

utTvmCN.png

Grrrowwl​

In the darkness, I saw ten gleaming pairs of eyes.​

wQBWoTG.png
Kya!?

d30HWT2.png
Stray dogs, huh. And this many. Going to be a bit bothersome.

d30HWT2.png
Stand back.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes!

At this point, there's a fight with two stray dogs as the opponent. They go down easily.

Jamrock recovers all of his hitpoints after each fight, it seems.

toegUmm.png
Grrrrowl.

d30HWT2.png
Still more?

E2naFCy.png

Another fight, three stray dogs...

d30HWT2.png
Sheesh. There's no end to these!

I grab a better hold of my sword, and turn my eyes at the wild dogs seemingly appearing from nowhere, one after another.​

toegUmm.png
Growl!

wQBWoTG.png
Kyaaaa!

d30HWT2.png
...!?

Quite a few wild dogs had been already met their death, but the several that were left were approaching Minvi with their jaws ready.​

toegUmm.png
Growl!

wQBWoTG.png
Noooo!

bFZWMW4.png

67CJb2k.png
Minvi!?

Unpleasant memories fill my head.​

Those feelings I felt five years ago...​

67CJb2k.png
Ooooo!

*gash*​

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san!?

Jaws sink into the arm I had extended.​

67CJb2k.png
Kuh...

67CJb2k.png
Stay back!

wQBWoTG.png
B-but...

Minvi had a worried look. I confront the dogs, protecting her.​

yr8iFH0.png

Yeah, four dogs now. Hitpoints recovered, work points not so much.

uBEO3tV.png

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san!!

I somehow managed to get rid of the dogs.​

d30HWT2.png
Khh...

That wound ... has been bleeding for a while ...​

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san! Are you okay!?

d30HWT2.png
Yeah ... sort of ...

I can hear from my own voice that I'm not exactly okay.​

I lost too much blood. It's not a fatal wound, but ...​

My arm has no strength ...​

Clash!​

My sword falls.​

My legs give out too...​

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san?!

Minvi's voice feels so far away.​

My vision blackens ...​

And into this cliffhanger we end today's update.

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
My previous updates have been a bit overlength. Let's try a shorter update this time.

...d...​

...ld...​

...ol..d...​

Cold...​

I felt a pleasant, cold sensation on my forehead.​

This ... feels like ... back when ...​

[slow fade-in to the following image]​

Yes ... that was it...​

Back in my childhood ... when I was only about ten ...​

I had caught a flu ... Tim Timaya was tending to me ...​

She was the dependable older sister to me back then, one year older than me...​

5fRg51h.png

But sometime, I grew in height ...​

I grew to know the various sides of her ...​

And then, Tim Timaya responded to my feelings ...​

But still, I couldn't disobey her, even when I was sick ~~

She was, as always, the dependable older sister then after all ...​

These thoughts were still in my mind as the pleasant coldness suddenly went away.​

[slow fade out]​

...Wait...​

...Don't go yet...​

d30HWT2.png
Tim Timaya!

wQBWoTG.png
...!?

.........​

cuSBY7e.png

I start feeling my body again, and realise where I am.​

Minvi had a soaked towel in her hand. I was grabbing her arm.​

d30HWT2.png
...S-sorry.

wQBWoTG.png
...I'm okay!

She replied in a flustered manner.​

wQBWoTG.png
I ... I tried treating it with whatever was on hand but ... how ... are you feeling?

As I look at myself, I see my wounds skilfully bandaged.​

d30HWT2.png
Did you... do this?

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, yes. Both the medicine and bandages were packed onto the horse...

d30HWT2.png
Oh... Must've taken some time...

wQBWoTG.png
Not at all...

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san ... you too ...

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san too ... why did you ... do that for my sake?

d30HWT2.png
No reason ... Just for my own reasons...

wQBWoTG.png
Don't lie. You got hurt too, because of me...

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png

d30HWT2.png
I don't want to ... have a second experience like ... the one five years ago...

wQBWoTG.png

d30HWT2.png
Back then ... when my hometown burnt to ground ... I was on a campaign ... I was too late ...

d30HWT2.png
Couldn't even identify the remains ... not a single one ... ~~~

wQBWoTG.png

d30HWT2.png
Dad ... Mum ... and Tim Timaya too ...

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san...

wQBWoTG.png
You were ... speaking during the nightmare ... "Tim Timaya"

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Was she ... your little sister?

She asked timidly. I accidentally respond with a wry smile. Did it really sound like that?​

d30HWT2.png
She was ... my girlfriend... I think... She was a year older...

wQBWoTG.png
Oh...

wQBWoTG.png
Er, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have opened my mouth.

d30HWT2.png
No ...

wQBWoTG.png

wQBWoTG.png
This ... Tim Timaya-san ...

wQBWoTG.png
Did she... look like me?

d30HWT2.png
...? No, I don't think so?

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, haha, that's right...

wQBWoTG.png
I was just ... thinking that since you ... were so friendly with me...

wQBWoTG.png

wQBWoTG.png
I'm jealous ... of this Tim Timaya ...

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
Ah, er, sorry, forget about it!

d30HWT2.png
...Really?

d30HWT2.png

d30HWT2.png
Anyway ... I ...

d30HWT2.png
... don't want to feel that sort of regret again ...

d30HWT2.png
That I couldn't protect someone ... I don't want to feel that again ...

d30HWT2.png
That's why I want to... protect you...

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock...san...

One of the punctuation keys on my keyboard is close to wearing out.

wQBWoTG.png
Will you really ...

wQBWoTG.png
Will you really ... protect me?

d30HWT2.png
Yeah...

wQBWoTG.png

Minvi's forehead hit my shoulder.​

wQBWoTG.png
I was so afraid ... so afraid ...

wQBWoTG.png
nnn... sniff ...

The weeping soon turned into a wail.​

GT: It took me as long as a prickly turn to turn into crying.

I held her head until she stopped.​

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
I don't know about you, but I must admit that I'm a bit irritated by Minvi at the moment. Thank Zeinhad that we're real soon at the temple and done with this 'quest'.

Like, next post real soon.

7e7WE7U.png

d30HWT2.png
Well then, towards the Zeinhad temple once again.

We had departed come morning, and the horse had progressed well.​

It'll soon be evening, but if we just keep this pace, we should get there before sundown, with time to spare.​

GT: I am planning to be in the evening soon, but if I proceed as it is, I will be able to afford the temple by the sunset.

In Google-Translate-land, Jamrock lost his paycheque and was pretty much dirt poor, but the next day he has enough money to buy himself a whole temple.

wQBWoTG.png
How long until we are there?

d30HWT2.png
Hmm... around two koku I think...

wQBWoTG.png
Oh...

d30HWT2.png
...?

Minvi seemed cheerless this morning. I didn't mind it at first, but looks like it is slowly getting worse.​

With that thought in my mind, suddenly Minvi spoke to me.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er, can we stop for a bit?

It did not sound like a mere suggestion, but more like a demand.​

d30HWT2.png
But we'll be soon there. The horse doesn't seem tired either...

wQBWoTG.png
Eh, err, well, just a bit please.

d30HWT2.png
Need to dash for the woods? Just say so then.

wQBWoTG.png
Not that!!

d30HWT2.png
...? Well, we do have time.

Unsatisfied, I stop the horse, step down and then help her down.​

BooMdMy.png

wQBWoTG.png
Phew.

Once down, she breathed a sigh. It did not seem like tiredness was the cause.​

wQBWoTG.png
Soon...

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
Soon, we'll be at the temple.

d30HWT2.png
Yeah, that's right.

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... I ...

wQBWoTG.png
I was thinking that... I don't ... have to get my ... memory back...

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
After all ... if I get my memory back ...

wQBWoTG.png
If I get my memory back, it's a farewell then ... right?

wQBWoTG.png
I don't want... that.

I see tears welling up in her eyes.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er...

d30HWT2.png
What is it?

wQBWoTG.png
Would it ... be possible that I ... could replace ... Tim Timaya-san?

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Sorry! But ... but!

wQBWoTG.png
If I ... get my memories back ... I could become someone completely different...

wQBWoTG.png
If that happens ... where will my ... current feelings go?

wQBWoTG.png
Will they be erased?

wQBWoTG.png
That sort of thought ... frightens me ... a lot.

d30HWT2.png
Minvi...

wQBWoTG.png

Minvi stays with her eyes downcast after opening up to me. ~~

d30HWT2.png
But still, you can't live on without knowing your past.

Her shoulders start trembling at the thought.​

wQBWoTG.png
I don't ... think so. ...If you'll just be... with...

She objected with a quiet voice.​

d30HWT2.png
Everyone is bound by the realities of their past. How are you going to keep running away from them? ~~

d30HWT2.png
I myself am no longer able to run away from the reality that I failed to save Tim Timaya. ~~~

wQBWoTG.png

d30HWT2.png
You too, have an obligation to be aware of your previous self, your previous true self.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes...

Minvi nodded slightly.​

d30HWT2.png
Sorry. I did not mean to bring up painful things...

wQBWoTG.png
...No, not at all!

d30HWT2.png
If I turn my argument around, the current you, too, has the realities of the future you, so it's not really any different. ~~~

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

I was relieved to finally see a smile on Minvi's face again.​

I grinned a bit at my feeling of relief.​

d30HWT2.png
So... When I get you to the temple safe and sound, and you get your memories back ... I'll defer my reply to until then.

This discussion diverged enough that I forgot that she even asked a question.

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

She laughed happily.​

And suddenly her eyes were cast down again.​

wQBWoTG.png
E-err ...

d30HWT2.png
What's wrong?

wQBWoTG.png
Er, you said that, my current self is a reality for my future self, right?

d30HWT2.png
Yes?

wQBWoTG.png
Well, then...

wQBWoTG.png
Would you ... give a reality to my current self ... for my future self to digest?

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
Er, well...

d30HWT2.png
...?

wQBWoTG.png
Could you... close ... your eyes?

d30HWT2.png
...? Okay.

0k7r6YL.png

I didn't understand at all, but closed my eyes regardless.​

*brush*​

d30HWT2.png
...!?

Something touched my lips lightly.​

:M

I quickly opened my eyes and I saw Minvi, with her face red.​

FaRY6Ao.png

wQBWoTG.png
It was my first...

Though her face was red, she sounded somehow proud.​

d30HWT2.png
But didn't you lose your memories?

I probably shouldn't have said that.​

GjDwyxL.png

wQBWoTG.png
*chuckle*

But she did not seem to mind my words at all, and she said, smiling:​

ZFWZJKa.png

wQBWoTG.png
Definitely my first! That's the only thing I'm sure of!

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Let's go!

She hurriedly turned around, possibly to hide her embarrassment, and ran for the horse.​

d30HWT2.png

I felt something akin to discomfort, and spent a short while in a stupor. ~~

d30HWT2.png
She's not a kid, right?

I shake my head slightly and walk towards the horse.​

Towards the place Minvi is waiting at.​

Dayyālu

Arcane
Gotta love Japs. The RPG equivalent of The Room.

Not to hate on yer effort or anything (as the mix of Google Translate and atrocious plot amuses me more than it should) but how long is the thing? Any chance for ya to, well, finish it before LP fatigue kicks in?

I don't know about you, but I must admit that I'm a bit irritated by Minvi at the moment. Thank Zeinhad that we're real soon at the temple and done with this 'quest'.

It's a female character in a JRPG. If you did not want to throw her to the lions the istant we met her, I would be surprised.

shywn

Savant
Well...

The game is 14 days long. The days start running when the prologue ("day 0") ends. As for the prologue, we're about ... 70-75 % through it right now.

I estimate that a day (when they start running) is two posts at the most.

I plan to get the prologue done at the very least. Come hell or high water, that sort of thing.

I have the next two posts pre-translated already so I'm not too bad off right now...

shywn

Savant
After three posts of Minvi and plot being glacial, the plot finally starts rolling. New characters too!

This would be where the "Prologue, part 2" starts.

igl1IKZ.png

After reaching the town, it did not take long until the Zeinhad temple showed us its massive figure.​

d30HWT2.png
I can see it now...

wQBWoTG.png
Yes...

Minvi had been holding my sleeve, and now she tightened her grip of it.​

d30HWT2.png
Do you recognise it?

wQBWoTG.png
I don't know. But, it does seem familiar.

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

RtZdxzJ.png

ZEINHAD TEMPLE​

We rode the road to the temple.​

We dismounted from our horse and opened the door to the temple. Inside we found an enormous cathedral.​

S39VEF4.png

It was built no different from any other temple, but it was more spacious and more impressive than any I had seen.​

The cathedral looked like it could fit a thousand people. Deep inside stood an imposing altar.​

GT: One thousand people are settled in the very inner part of the cathedral, where a good teaching staff is installed.

Inside the cathedral, quite a few people were sitting, though sparsely, listening to the sermon by the high priest.​

The resonant voice echoed clearly and was filled with affection.​

Just as one would expect from a royal temple's high priest.​

yDgBVZX.png
Well then, today's sermon ends here.

The quietly spoken closing words reminded me of my years as a fencing instructor.​

On the priest's words people stood up and left through the door we came in from.​

When all of the people had left the cathedral...​

wQBWoTG.png
E-er... Jamrock-san?

Minvi was tugging my cloak.​

d30HWT2.png
Yeah...

I nodded as I understood what she meant.​

As I glance around, I realise that we were not alone here.​

1, 2, 3 ... There were at least ten people.​

They seemed inexperienced in sneaking around, for even Minvi noticed them.​

Besides, hiding so many people in a closed space is a difficult task. ~~~

d30HWT2.png
Stop sneaking around and show yourselves.

I sense a feeling of shock spreading around me.​

And just a moment after...​

YgSNecR.png

65RTyzp.png
J-Jamrock the kidnapper! Let Minvi-sama go and surrender yourself!

We gots ourselves a moniker.

Ten priests stand up near us. Looks like my count was correct.​

wQBWoTG.png
...!!

Minvi instead clinged even tighter to me, perhaps startled by their menacing looks.​

65RTyzp.png
L-Let her go at once!

d30HWT2.png
That's a bit hard to do...

This is one of those frequently appearing phrases that are really hard to translate. Its literal meaning is something like "I don't know how to respond to that"

Each priest is holding either some sort of a weapon or an unarmed fighting pose, but every single one fails to look threatening.​

GT: Although we are taking a stance of becoming weapons of unexpected thought, none of them are like something.

Well then ...​

1. Persuade them
  2. Grab my sword
  3. Do nothing

1. Persuade them. I guess it can't hurt to try.

d30HWT2.png
Wait. I *saved* Minvi and came all the way here.

65RTyzp.png
What nonsense! And to think that such falsehoods were spoken in this cathedral, what sacrilege!

I predicted as much. They won't listen.​

wQBWoTG.png
It's true! Believe us!

They seemed to turn a deaf ear to her too.​

I guess there's no other option but force...? ~~

yDgBVZX.png
Everybody! That is enough!

That moment, a voice I had heard before echoed around me.​

1wWQrVi.png

The owner of that voice was the high priest who had been holding the sermon.​

yDgBVZX.png
Stand down.

65RTyzp.png
B-but...

The high priest brushed the priests, who were still trying to oppose me, off with a single hand movement, and faced us.​

yDgBVZX.png
I apologise for the rudeness of my subordinates, Jamrock-sama.

d30HWT2.png
No problem.

yDgBVZX.png
Also, glad to see you back, Minvi.

wQBWoTG.png

Minvi was still gripping my cloak and wasn't showing signs of letting go.​

d30HWT2.png
Minvi has lost her memory. I was thinking that she'd be from around here and brought her here. I seem to have been correct?

GT: Minwi is losing his memory now. For the time being, I thought he was a human of this edge, so I brought it ... Is it still so?

I responded in Minvi's place, as she was still standing stiff and cautious.​

yDgBVZX.png
Oh, her memory?

The high priest mused over my reply without showing much surprise in his manner.​

He hastily continued after noticing my puzzled expression.​

yDgBVZX.png
Oh, I was just supposing that she had come into some kind of danger, given her status.

d30HWT2.png
Number one temple priest successor, right?

yDgBVZX.png
Yes.

yDgBVZX.png
She was sent to Altamina castle for an audience with His Majesty Pharmacy IV, to greet him formally as the next temple priest, but then this... ~~

wQBWoTG.png

Minvi was gripping even tighter now.​

GpiCAfW.png
I heard that Minvi-oneesama had come back?!

'oneesama' is something like '(respected) big sister' but does not have to be, well, a sibling.

A door opened at the back and a girl came in.​

ddrkRDJ.png

GpiCAfW.png
Minvi-oneesama! You returned safely!

wQBWoTG.png
E--Err...

yDgBVZX.png
Wait, Kalderina. Minvi has lost her memory.

GpiCAfW.png
Her ... memory?

The girl's -- Kalderina's -- expression darkens.​

GpiCAfW.png
Has she forgotten me too?

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... I'm sorry...

GpiCAfW.png

yDgBVZX.png
Kalderina, this is Jamrock-sama, who brought Minvi here.

GpiCAfW.png
Ah ... I must've been rude, Jamrock-sama. I am Kalderina, a miko of the royal temple.

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

yDgBVZX.png
Well then, this is rather hasty, but let us perform the treatment for returning her memory.

wQBWoTG.png
!? Right now?

Yes, right now. Do it for the plot.

yDgBVZX.png
The sooner we start, the higher the chance to succeed. Until then, we have readied a room for Jamrock-sama to rest in.

d30HWT2.png
Ah, thank you.

I touched Minvi's hand gently. She was still gripping my cloak.​

wQBWoTG.png

Her tight grip slowly started to loosen.​

yDgBVZX.png
Kalderina, will you guide Jamrock-sama to his room?

GpiCAfW.png
Understood.

Minvi followed the high priest to one door, and I followed Kalderina to another. As we reached our doors,​

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san!

Minvi suddenly called out to me.​

nJ0kcgB.png

wQBWoTG.png
I'll be waiting for your reply!

d30HWT2.png

It took me a while to understand that she was referring to our conversation from earlier, before we reached the temple.​

d30HWT2.png
Yeah.

I blurted out a lukewarm reply in my confusion.​

..........​

Minvi continued to follow the priest and exited the cathedral.​

d30HWT2.png

4zNC8U3.png

GpiCAfW.png
Well, I will guide you.

d30HWT2.png
Please do.

I followed Kalderina and left the cathedral behind.​

d30HWT2.png
Now that I think of it ...

1Xf6Igu.png

GpiCAfW.png
Y--yes, what is it?

d30HWT2.png
I was just thinking that you called her "Minvi-oneesama" ... does that mean you're Minvi's little sister?

GpiCAfW.png
Oh ... no!

GpiCAfW.png
Just that, she's been taking care of me ever since I came here to be a miko...

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

To be honest, I did not expect that Minvi would be the kind to take care of others, but maybe she used to be like that [before the memory loss]​

d30HWT2.png
Then, are you too a priest candidate?

GpiCAfW.png
Yes, more or less...

d30HWT2.png
...I understood that it was not a 'more or less' kind of thing.

As I think of Minvi, the following feels rather hard to believe, but I've heard that, even amongst the mikos, only those abound with piety, wisdom, and charity may go through the ceremony and become priests.​

A slight clarification: it's expected that mikos have these attributes but only those with exceptional levels of these attributes get through the ceremony.

d30HWT2.png
May I ask you how many-eth candidate you are?

GpiCAfW.png
Yes. I'm number two in line.

d30HWT2.png
Number two?

GpiCAfW.png
Er ... yes.

d30HWT2.png
Do you mean that you come after Minvi?

GpiCAfW.png
Yes.

I must be asking really stupid questions here, but the fact did not show in Kalderina's expression.​

GpiCAfW.png
Oh, here is your room.

She opened the door.​

QtlNtxJ.png

GpiCAfW.png
Well then, I shall be off now.

She bowed deeply and closed the door quietly when leaving.​

The room seemed to be one meant for guests, and only had the bare minimum of furniture.​

With nothing better to do, I sat down on the bed.​

GT: I became a hand-held man, I sat down on the bed.

The fatigue from the trip perhaps being the reason, the soft bed easily enticed me into closing my eyes.​

..........​

I noticed our map has been updated.

EMSsDW7.png

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
*knock knock*​

d30HWT2.png
...Hm?

When I opened my eyes, I was at first perplexed by the unfamiliar scenery.​

The next moment, I remember that I had been guided to a room and had fallen asleep there.​

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san.

I hear Kalderina's voice through the door, somewhat unclearly.​

Then I remember why I woke up, and headed for the door.​

The door creaked when opened. Behind the door was Kalderina.​

CyqBWQX.png

d30HWT2.png
What's up?

GpiCAfW.png
Er ... I came to inform you that Minvi-oneesama has gotten her memory back.

d30HWT2.png
Okay. Let's go.

I left the room at once. Kalderina guided me, slightly rushing.​

GT: When I leave the room as is, Calderina starts panning a little while panicking.

F1kKnoS.png

GpiCAfW.png
Er ... and ...

d30HWT2.png
...?

GpiCAfW.png
Well, Minvi-oneesama ... got her memory back, but it seems she can't ...

d30HWT2.png

GpiCAfW.png
... remember anything from the time she spent with lost memory.

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

GpiCAfW.png

GpiCAfW.png
Er ... Jamrock-san.

d30HWT2.png
Yes?

GpiCAfW.png
Er ... What happened during the time when she ... had lost her memory?

d30HWT2.png
What do you mean?

GpiCAfW.png
Er, I can't put it well but...

GpiCAfW.png
I was thinking that ... something important happened ... when she was with you.

GpiCAfW.png
That's what it looked like.

d30HWT2.png

As I didn't try to answer, Kalderina just stayed silent and started walking ahead of me.​

GpiCAfW.png
Kalderina here. I brought Jamrock-san.

yDgBVZX.png
Come in.

UDnjNya.png

yDgBVZX.png
Jamrock-sama, please come here.

I sat on a chair as was requested.​

Before that, though.​

GT6dhWm.png

d30HWT2.png
Minvi...

wQBWoTG.png
...?

yDgBVZX.png
This is Jamrock-sama, who took care of you when you had lost your memory. Do thank him.

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, so that's how it was. Er, I cannot ...

d30HWT2.png
I heard from Kalderina already. It was not important. Please don't worry about it.

wQBWoTG.png
Thank you so much. I really don't know how to thank you enough.

d30HWT2.png

I did not notice anything particularly different in Minvi's expression or atmosphere.​

Apart from the fact that she had become distant towards me...​

GpiCAfW.png
Minvi-oneesama, er, we should discuss what we should do next ...

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, indeed, Kalderina.

wQBWoTG.png
The church shall withdraw the abduction charges against Jamrock-san tomorrow.

wQBWoTG.png
In addition, we can perhaps find a way to compensate you ...

d30HWT2.png
Thank you, but I'm happy if I just get the suspicions off my back.

wQBWoTG.png
But...

d30HWT2.png
I would be satisfied to know why the ruffians were chasing you.

wQBWoTG.png
As a matter of fact, there are quite a few things I myself don't yet know about those circumstances...

Does she mean that her memory hasn't completely returned yet?​

wQBWoTG.png
I had completed my audience with Pharmacy IV, performed in the role of next temple priest, and was on my way back Altamina's temple church when it happened.

wQBWoTG.png
I was accompanied by four servants, and as we entered a deserted street, several cloaked men attacked us.

GT: As accompanied by about four members of the followers, as soon as they entered the unpopular road, they were attacked by men who had suffered several cloaks

wQBWoTG.png
When I saw that the servants were being slain one after another, my consciousness receded, and after that I do not remember much.

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

d30HWT2.png
Do you have any knowledge of what the men were after?

wQBWoTG.png

GpiCAfW.png

yDgBVZX.png

wQBWoTG.png
...They would be matters internal to the church, and as such, they would be difficult to explain.

d30HWT2.png

She was watching me with clear, but cold eyes. ~~~

With an expression that she did not have when I knew her.​

No, those eyes are probably the ones she originally had.​

The eyes of temple priest successor number one.​

d30HWT2.png
I understand.

wQBWoTG.png
Our deepest apologies.

d30HWT2.png
No need.

But then ... Minvi previously lacked memory of anything that happened before she bumped into me.​

What on earth happened during the blank between the attack and her bumping into me?​

d30HWT2.png

Either way, it should no longer concern me.​

d30HWT2.png
Well, I should be done here then? If, as you say, the suspicions are gone tomorrow, I was thinking to wait until the morning and then depart.

yDgBVZX.png
That is rather hasty.

d30HWT2.png
Does it inconvenience you?

wQBWoTG.png
Very well. Please make yourself at home here until the departure, at least.

d30HWT2.png
I am grateful for your hospitality.

I'm surprised how naturally the words I learnt during my knighthood flowed.​

d30HWT2.png
I shall excuse myself now, then.

wQBWoTG.png
Kalderina, shall you escort our guest?

GpiCAfW.png
Yes.

d30HWT2.png
No need. I know the way.

wQBWoTG.png
Is that so?

d30HWT2.png

N6jK9g6.png

d30HWT2.png

It seems everything is settled now, I think.​

No...​

I think I've finally gotten back some of my lost human feelings.​

d30HWT2.png
Thanks to Minvi, I guess...

BIDKVAF.png

d30HWT2.png
Look, calm down when you eat.

wQBWoTG.png
So -- Sorry -- *cough cough cough*!

afeWg7h.png

wQBWoTG.png
Would it ... be possible that I ... could replace ... Tim Timaya-san?

BbCS3d8.png

wQBWoTG.png
It was my first...

wQBWoTG.png
Definitely my first! That's the only thing I'm sure of!

In case it's not obvious yet, the screenshots with oval borders are memories or dreams or similar.

jjB0j2z.png

d30HWT2.png

...Oh great ...​

It's really strange how she was able to say it so proudly yet be depressed at the same time... ~~~~

GT: If the principal who was saying great things is depressed, I do not care for ...

zXDxzOU.png

But...​

I don't really have much to pack for tomorrow...​

I don't feel sleepy either since I just slept ...​

d30HWT2.png
I suppose I could wander around the temple...

Woohoo. First savepoint in the whole game.

shywn

Savant
7hW5wCn.png

Before heading out, let's check the character sheet out.

Hit points: 150

Work points: 100

Attack: 29

Defence: 15

Speed: 8

Heartbeat points: 4

Speed basically tells how early your character acts in an attack round.

Heartbeat points get consumed if you do heartbeat attacks. We can do four attacks a day.

For the other characters, they are called 'activity points' and measure the same thing.

Hit points recharge after every battle; work points and heartbeat points recharge after every day.

Let's look at the special attacks Jamrock has. I could give you meaningless syllabic names such as Hadouken, I could give them a proper translation, or I could let Google christen them.

I know which one I'll do.

【Takeshige killing】 A technique to attack by attacking a large amount. The damage that it gives is great, but it is easy to come off. It is effective for the entire enemy of the front row. Required work points: 5

So the Takeshige Killing deals more damage, but seems to miss often. Can be applied to enemies in the front row.

【Pacific Shrine】 A technique to drive a thrust of a whole body more than once. Attack two enemies in the front row twice, and surplus attack deals damage to other enemies. Required work points: 8

The Pacific Shrine deals damage to an enemy in the front row, and some to an enemy in the back row.

【Killing Squirrel】 A technique to inject damniness into the sword and raise destructive power and attack it. Therefore, it consumes its own damage point. Effective against the enemy unitary in the front row. Required work points: 8

The Killing Squirrel ... is a technique to inject ... damniness into my sword?

You know, just the other day, I was thinking that my sword lacked a bit of damniness. This skill will come in handy.

The Killing Squirrel apparently consumes some of my own hitpoints and deals damage to enemies in the front row.

--

There are also non-heartbeat combat skills:

[To persuade] A command to identify the enemy's leader and persuade it during battle. If you succeed, the enemy leaves but the beast has no effect. Required work points: 3

Apparently you can reason with enemies. No effect on animals.

[Cover] Command to support one ally person during battle. Although the protected character does not receive damage, the activity point decreases by that amount. Required work points: 5

And finally, you can shield someone in your party from damage.

I haven't really tested these special attacks thoroughly, so I probably got their effects wrong...

--

Anyway, let's head out.

z20QZwZ.png

We're given this interface which shows that we can move North, South, East, West, though only South is possible right now. Below it, there's a one-item menu which shows that I can enter a room from this square. This would be our room.

The menu shows us the non-movement options we have. If there's interaction with a door or similar, it appears on the menu.

This is very disorientating, until we click on the 'Map' button.

FmPtqwf.png

So basically at this point, I've walked the corridor back and forth and gotten a map like this. It's worth noting that every square has a different background image. Apparently they made a 3-D model of pretty much every area in this game, and rendered the backgrounds that way.

Let's try the doors on the left (west). The northmost one is mine, and I can't enter it just yet, so we'll start with the middle one.

*knock knock*​

I knocked the door, but I got no response from inside.​

As I turn the handle, the door opened easily. It seems the door was not locked.​

BInORx5.png

A standard room, the same as the one that was given to me.​

Probably a vacant room available for guests.​

Of course, there was nothing of interest in the room, so I decided to leave.​

Last room on the corridor.

*knock knock*​

I did not get a response from the knock.​

The door was not locked and opened with a slight creak.​

BInORx5.png

A room similar to mine, probably lodging for guests. Simple furnishings.​

No sign of anyone living here.​

d30HWT2.png
...?

But, whereas my room had a window, the room I was in had an extra door.​

d30HWT2.png

It intrigued me, so I opened the door.​

XKh1yuD.png

GpiCAfW.png
Oh, Jamrock-san.

Behind the door was a veranda, and there stood Kalderina.​

d30HWT2.png
Sorry, I didn't think there'd be someone here.

GpiCAfW.png
I don't mind. I was just watching the night sky, after all.

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

GpiCAfW.png
Are you on a walk?

d30HWT2.png
Something like that, yes.

GpiCAfW.png
Er, Jamrock-san.

d30HWT2.png
Yes?

GpiCAfW.png
About Minvi-oneesama ...

GpiCAfW.png
Well ...

d30HWT2.png
I don't particularly mind the situation.

GpiCAfW.png
But ... well ...

GpiCAfW.png
You somehow ...

GpiCAfW.png
seem lonely so ...

d30HWT2.png
...Lonely?

GpiCAfW.png
Er, sorry!

d30HWT2.png
You do look a bit like Minvi, you know.

GpiCAfW.png
Huh? Really?

d30HWT2.png
Not in appearance as such, but the atmosphere and the way you talk.

GpiCAfW.png
Since I came to the temple at the age of 12, I spent a lot of time with Minvi-oneesama.

d30HWT2.png
It's like you were sisters for real.

GpiCAfW.png
I'm glad if you mean that. ~~~

GpiCAfW.png
She's so pretty and everyone loves her ...

d30HWT2.png

GpiCAfW.png
S-Sorry, I said something strange, didn't I?

d30HWT2.png
No, I must've been rude too.

GpiCAfW.png

d30HWT2.png
I must've disturbed your stargazing.

GpiCAfW.png
Oh, not at all.

I turned back and left.​

Okay, onwards to the doors on the right, top to bottom.

I knocked the door lightly and entered the room.​

EXr8PfR.png

The smell of old paper assaulted me immediately.​

d30HWT2.png
Must be the library...

A large number of bookshelves stood in this room, in neat order.​

Several priests were studying, taking books from the shelves and rapidly turning the pages. ~~

GT: Several priests seemed to be doing investigations, and taking out the book from the bookshelf, he turned the page hiliously.

Google is making up words here.

jr4nxLV.png

65RTyzp.png

One of the priests was sternly looking at me.​

I think he was one of those who sneaked around in the cathedral.​

65RTyzp.png
That snoop of Minister Galiba again...

The priest said, to accompany his rude gaze.​

d30HWT2.png

I do feel discomfort in the situation, but then again, I am an uninvited guest.​

1. "I'm just a fencing instructor."
  2. Glare back at him.
  3. Ignore him.

Let's be polite.

d30HWT2.png
I'm just a fencing instructor. Not anything you accuse me of.

65RTyzp.png
I know you were a candidate to be the chivalry captain. Jamrock the slayer of hundred.

d30HWT2.png

65RTyzp.png
Those at the royal castle who feel adversarial towards the church, I have no idea what they are thinking. ~~

65RTyzp.png
Especially that Minister Galiba, who wields the real power, holding the king by the strings, who knows what he's doing in the shadows?

Punchy political games!

The priest suddenly shuts up and goes back to his books.​

OK, let's continue our exploration. The second door now.

Wasn't this room ...​

*knock knock*​

There's ominous music playing currently. Foreshadowing? Or something else?

The knocking makes a deeper sound than the other doors, as if the wood used was tougher.​

I get no reply, and turn the handle. The door opens easily.​

Drj9a8a.png

It's the parlour I was in earlier. Nobody seems to be here now, and the room imparts a deserted feeling.​

d30HWT2.png

The images of when I first came here, when Minvi was here, flit through my mind.​

I don't need to stay here any longer...​

Last door.

I grip the handle and enter the room.​

I9Auvjr.png

This was the cathedral you can reach by going through the main doors. Above the altar was a bust of the god Zeinhad, the symbol of the kingdom of Altia.​

I walk towards the main doors in an effort to get a better view of the cathedral.​

There I noticed a strange feature of the door leading out.​

On the inside, there was a keyhole.​

Perhaps there was a similar keyhole on the outside too, but apparently you could not get out of this church ... or at least through this door, on your own. ~~

I guess that's to be expected, for a church that trains temple priests.​

No need to waste time admiring this any more. Let's go elsewhere.​

No, I didn't get this keyhole arrangement either.

So I find a second corridor to walk in, and there meet Minvi.

tAbTArB.png

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san...

d30HWT2.png

I did not know how to answer, so I just stood there silently watching her.​

wQBWoTG.png
Do you have a bit of time?

d30HWT2.png
I don't mind.

wQBWoTG.png
Good. Oh, this is my room. Do come in.

Though I felt strange discomfort, I accepted her invitation.​

GT: While feeling strange incompatibility, I responded to Miniwi's soup.

BZXuAlI.png

Minvi urged me to sit down, and then spoke to me.​

wQBWoTG.png
Er...

wQBWoTG.png
Thank you very much.

d30HWT2.png
You thanked me earlier already.

GT: I asked you to arrive earlier if you asked.

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, right.

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Er ... I don't ...

wQBWoTG.png
I don't remember at all what happened when I was with you, but...

wQBWoTG.png
But I'm sure that it was fun.

d30HWT2.png
Fun?

wQBWoTG.png
Yes.

wQBWoTG.png
Because, well, I somehow feel relaxed when I'm with you.

wQBWoTG.png
So I was thinking that I'd try my best to remember that time.

d30HWT2.png
No point in doing needless things.

wQBWoTG.png
Needless things?

d30HWT2.png
Minvi, you're priest candidate number one, right?

d30HWT2.png
You should do whatever they wish you to do here.

d30HWT2.png
Your lost memory only spans three days. You'll forget about it in no time. ~~~

wQBWoTG.png
But ... I feel that ... it was somehow important.

d30HWT2.png

wQBWoTG.png
Oh, right! The head priest had something he wanted of me. Do you mind if I step outside for a while?

d30HWT2.png
I should excuse myself too.

wQBWoTG.png
No, this shouldn't take much time.

d30HWT2.png
No, I must've overstayed my welcome too.

wQBWoTG.png
Oh.

wQBWoTG.png
Well then, I'll excuse myself now.

d30HWT2.png
Yeah.

Well, I guess I'll head somewhere else then.​

Next door!

PzUsiXh.png

*knock knock*​

There's no answer.​

I turn the handle lightly.​

*ker-chack*​

The door was locked. Maybe a private room or just unused.​

I decided to go elsewhere.​

Final room, on the lower right.

*thud thud*​

I knocked the door with some strength, but got no response from the inside.​

Grab the handle, turn.​

But the door won't budge at all, whether I push it or pull it.​

It must have a pretty heavy-duty lock.​

I give up and decide to go elsewhere.​

All rooms explored now. Here's what the map looks like currently:

haxa4Q0.png

If I try to re-visit the rooms, Jamrock usually refuses to enter, saying that he's seen the room already.

Here are the two rooms that have flavour texts of some interest. First, the library:

I opened the door and entered the library.​

The priests that were previously studying there had already left, and the library was deserted.​

Most of the books are, understandably, religious in nature, and none look interesting enough to even pick up.​

d30HWT2.png
I guess I'll leave...

I mutter to no one in particular, and leave the library behind.​

Minvi's room.

Wasn't this Minvi's room?​

I was going to knock, but my hand stopped mid-air.​

I don't really have anything to talk about with her any more.​

Or rather, it'd be better to not talk to her at all.​

I averted my eyes from the door and decided to go elsewhere.​

Let's go back to Jamrock's room again.

I suppose it's time to go back.​

lF2THEV.png

d30HWT2.png
Phew.

It wasn't a long distance that I walked, yet my body felt a strange kind of fatigue.​

I lay down on the bed.​

d30HWT2.png

Next update, the action starts. Same bat-time, same bat-thread!

shywn

Savant
In today's update, we introduce green text.

hDwDEhr.png

I abruptly woke up from my sleep.​

I have a bad feeling...​

*pii pii*​

[SFX: one of those aerosol-can-type horn things some idiots bring to sports audiences]​

A high-pitched flute sound echoes.​

No, an aerosol can does not make a sound that high-pitched ...

Lscj6kk.png
Intruders! The beastists have gotten inside!

The Japanese text here reveals that this beastism thing is a religion.

Though 'beastist' was an unfamiliar word to me, I reacted to the alarmed atmosphere and to the word 'intruder' and jumped out of the bed.​

I grabbed the sword that I had offhandedly laid nearby and dashed out of the room.​

*pii pii*​

The shrill sound of the alarm continues to echo. I wonder who is responsible for it.​

I guess I can't stay here.​

We get the movement interface again. Yay. Let's go down the corridor.

And soon we meet a priest.

qIRmd86.png

65RTyzp.png
You again?

d30HWT2.png
What's happening?

65RTyzp.png
The beasts attacked.

d30HWT2.png
Why'd they attack this place?

65RTyzp.png
None of your business! Damn you, beasts, I won't let you have Minvi!

GT: It does not matter to you! It is! Dutch girls, beast guys and so on, I will not give you Min Wy! It is!

Dutch girls?

d30HWT2.png
They're aiming for Minvi?

I was going to check the rooms one at a time, but there's nothing interesting about it except perhaps the descriptions of Jamrock kicking the doors open and ninja-ing into the rooms so I say screw them, and just give you the corridor encounters.

Curiously, the two locked doors give the exact same script of "*knock knock* hmm it's locked" as last time.

--

An encounter with the high priest.

8kG88VC.png

yDgBVZX.png
Oh, Jamrock-sama!

d30HWT2.png
Why on earth is the royal temple being attacked?

yDgBVZX.png
I fear that ... they are after Minvi.

d30HWT2.png
What?

yDgBVZX.png
I apologise. I should have discussed with you of these things in advance.

d30HWT2.png
I don't have time to listen now! You should find shelter!

I spend a while looking through the rooms. There are no signs of invasion /anywhere/

But on the second corridor ...

YfcZGMV.png

65RTyzp.png

On the corridor before me lay that one priest.​

GT: An example priest lay before the corridor.

He had a countless number of tiny wounds, like those of a razor.​

But right after, I noticed the deep wounds running over him, as if scraped off. ~~~~

These were not from a sword.​

d30HWT2.png
Claw people?

65RTyzp.png
Yeah ... How pathetic... ~~

d30HWT2.png
Don't talk. You'll worsen the wounds.

65RTyzp.png
Don't worry about me. Go to Minvi-sama. They ... went to Minvi-sama's room

d30HWT2.png
What!?!

And right after, we meet...

T9Y2eXv.png

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san!

d30HWT2.png
Kalderina? Are you OK?

GpiCAfW.png
Huh? Yes. B-but, Minvi-oneesama is ...

d30HWT2.png
...! Got it. You, hide somewhere.

GpiCAfW.png
Yes!

The door I grabbed wasn't locked.​

d30HWT2.png

I silently listened for any movement and entered the room.​

D45TZ6i.png

.........​

Faint moonlight lit the room. I can hear the tumult outside far away. ~~

d30HWT2.png
Damn!

Completely empty! They probably left already.​

GT: It is a false color. It seems that it has become a mistake.

Just slight traces of manhandling.​

She probably didn't resist much when she was taken.​

The window was still locked.​

It's likely that she's still in the temple.​

I returned to the corridor.​

But, if they exited via the corridor, they must've been real skilled, since I see zero traces to the effect.​

d30HWT2.png
Damn!

In the heat of the moment I started running.​

But then I saw ...​

wyxRE5G.png

d30HWT2.png
Kalderina!? Why are you still here!

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san! How is Minvi-oneesama?

d30HWT2.png
It seems they took her.

GpiCAfW.png
...!

d30HWT2.png
I'm going to look for her right now. You, hide somewhere.

GpiCAfW.png
...Please take me along!

d30HWT2.png
...What?

GpiCAfW.png
Because, Minvi-oneesama ...

d30HWT2.png
You'd just be a hindrance. I'll save her myself.

GpiCAfW.png
I'll take cover immediately if it gets dangerous! So please ...

d30HWT2.png
But ...

d30HWT2.png
...We don't have time to argue about this.

d30HWT2.png
Okay! However, stay right behind me! And if it gets dangerous, go back!

GpiCAfW.png
Yes!

d30HWT2.png
Let's go!

Looks like we got our first party member.

So, at this point, I wandered around with Kalderina in tow. Found nothing interesting in any of the rooms in the left side or in the middle.

--

But, it seems that we can now enter the upper locked room.

VNkHMMv.png

d30HWT2.png
We should check this room, just in case...

GpiCAfW.png
Er, this ... this is my room.

d30HWT2.png
Oh. Well, nothing to check then?

GpiCAfW.png
I think we should check it anyway.

d30HWT2.png
Yeah.

GpiCAfW.png
Wait a bit. I'll unlock it.

Kalderina pulled out a key and inserted it into the keyhole.​

I hear a clicking sound, and Kalderina pulls out the key and pockets it.​

GpiCAfW.png
Go ahead.

d30HWT2.png
Yeah.

I opened the door slowly and entered.​

5wMS4mV.png

d30HWT2.png
There's nothing unusual here that I can see.

GpiCAfW.png
Yes, I don't see anything either. It's just like it was when I left.

d30HWT2.png
Oh. Well, we should get going then.

GpiCAfW.png
Yes.

GpiCAfW.png
Wait, please. I'll lock the door.

d30HWT2.png
Okay.

Kalderina took out the key again, and locked the door.​

*click*​

GpiCAfW.png
Sorry for the wait. Let's go.

d30HWT2.png
Yeah.

The door below Kalderina's room, however. (The other locked one.)

BnZVvxc.png

As I grabbed the handle, I felt an unnatural sensation in my hand.​

d30HWT2.png
...?

The handle had been twisted into an unnatural shape.​

This was not done with tools. The marks took the shape of five fingers, and told me that this was done with overwhelming physical strength. ~~~~

d30HWT2.png
...!

GpiCAfW.png
...! Jamrock-san!

Kalderina had noticed my behaviour, and deduced its meaning. She flusteredly looked up at me.​

*creak*​

The broken door let out a faint creak as I pulled the twisted handle.​

*clatter*​

That moment, I heard a sound from inside, as if something fell.​

d30HWT2.png
...!

Hesitating for a moment, I slammed open the door and jumped into the room.​

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san!

Kalderina followed me and entered the room too.​

hRMOHub.png

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san! Kalderina!

OK, found her. Mission complete!

d30HWT2.png
Minvi!

GpiCAfW.png
Minvi-oneesama!

UQ0tjtp.png

N5isL2q.png

Or not complete ...

d30HWT2.png
.....!

This thing hiding behind Minvi showed himself.​

An eerie mask on his face. Though I cannot see behind the mask, I can see that ...​

GpiCAfW.png
...Claw people!

d30HWT2.png
Claw people...

Those pointed ears immediately revealed that he was not human.​

The shape of the eyes too, was closer to that of cats and tigers than that of humans.​

Remaining was, the terribly sharp claws.​

Apart from those features, they looked just like humans.​

However, the muscles under that dark skin they have fostered through living in the wild, surpass in strength that of most humans.​

That is the claw people, in a nutshell.​

9tBnA0g.png

d30HWT2.png
Two of them?

d30HWT2.png
ヴェイシェン ヨウナクニャジ!

GpiCAfW.png
...? Jamrock-san?

My speech lead to a puzzled expression from Kalderina, and the two claw people paused for a moment.​

N5isL2q.png
...!

hKKUmR6.png
ニィノンシュ ユーユア (You speak our language?)

I had naturally learnt it while on the battlefield. I had not used it for a while, but it seems they understood me well enough.​

GT: It was attached to nature when I was in the battlefield. Although I have not used it for a while, it seems that it passed well.

d30HWT2.png
ハイヤシュ、ヴェイシェン ヨウナクニャジ? (I'll ask once more: Why are you taking that girl?)

hKKUmR6.png
プノンホイタ・・・ (We cannot answer that.)

N5isL2q.png
チャルゲイウォバ。 (Leave this to me.)

hKKUmR6.png
ミンハイ (Understood.)

d30HWT2.png
...!

The next moment, the other claw person charged at me.​

I need to find some decent personal pronouns for these claw people...

d30HWT2.png
You're not going to stall me that easily!

I drew my sword, and assumed a fighting pose.​

MFca6zc.png

These claw people have a funky fighting pose...

Aaanyway. This claw person deals a whopping 1 HP of damage per attack, and manages to miss two of his attacks. I mow him down in two rounds. These prologue fights are ridiculously easy. (The one I dodged earlier, the one with the soldiers in the woods, is easy but not ridiculously so.)

The enemy name assigned to the claw person says 'assassin of a religious order'

N5isL2q.png
Guh...

With a low groan, the claw person died in front of us.​

GT: Leaving a low groan voice, the nail people in front of us was out of control.

67CJb2k.png
Kuh...

My consciousness was on the verge of departure too, due to the wounds I sustained in that fight.​

Yes, the 1 HP you lost. Fatal.

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san! You're bleeding!

d30HWT2.png
That wound from yesterday ... must've been torn open ...

GpiCAfW.png
We must take care of it immediately.

d30HWT2.png
I'm fine ... Besides, we don't have time for that!

GpiCAfW.png
B-but...!

d30HWT2.png
Where's Minvi?

I barely manage to say that.​

GpiCAfW.png
Oh, yes! On the veranda!

I notice the door.​

d30HWT2.png
Got it. Stay here.

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san!?

Though on the verge of collapse, I took a better grip of my blood-stained sword and stepped out onto the veranda.​

eaXfEYq.png

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san!? Those wounds!!

d30HWT2.png
Minvi...

On the veranda I found the claw person, holding Minvi, about to jump off.​

Yes, "about to" jump off.

wQBWoTG.png
Why ... Why did you get hurt that bad for my...

wQBWoTG.png
Why ... are you trying to save me?

d30HWT2.png
Didn't I ... tell you?

d30HWT2.png
I don't want ... to be not able to ... protect someone again...

d30HWT2.png
Someone ... important to me...

wQBWoTG.png
Important...

wQBWoTG.png
I don't ... deserve that...

Why is it that these conversations with Minvi always end up with so many ellipses?

wQBWoTG.png
I don't even ... remember you ... even though ... you're hurt so bad ... trying to rescue me...

I actually pasted this line into Google Translate and got nothing but ellipses back. Not kidding.

Minvi was looking straight at me.​

d30HWT2.png
Minvi...?

My wounded, leaden body somehow managed to get closer to Minvi.​

wQBWoTG.png
...ng!

wQBWoTG.png
My ... head...?

d30HWT2.png
!?

Suddenly, anguish creeped into Minvi's expression, just like when she was peeking into Harlin's crystal ball.​

67CJb2k.png
Minvi!?

GpiCAfW.png
Minvi-oneesama!?

wQBWoTG.png
...Ah?

wQBWoTG.png
...Jamrock-san?

wQBWoTG.png
...Kalderina?

d30HWT2.png
...Minvi?

wQBWoTG.png
Just like ... before ...

wQBWoTG.png
Hurt that much ... for my sake...

wQBWoTG.png
Hurt that much ... because of me...

wQBWoTG.png
Tim Timaya-san is ... going to be angry with you...

d30HWT2.png
Minvi, your memory!?

GpiCAfW.png
Minvi-oneesama!

wQBWoTG.png
Jamrock-san!

FZmp8SU.png

The next moment, the claw person holding Minvi dashed off.​

The long-awaited jump finally happens.

d30HWT2.png
Minvi!!

I forced my battered body into a run.​

GT: I forcefully forced my body to become rash.

But, the distance grew before my eyes.​

I had no chance to catch a claw person with my current state.​

d30HWT2.png
Kuh!

My body at last gave way, from the abuse it had accumulated.​

d30HWT2.png
Minvi!

Minvi disappeared into the darkness. Whether due to the distance, whether due to my consciousness giving way to fatigue, I did not know.​

How-ever is Jamrock going to face the enemies of the game if he keeps collapsing from a loss of 1 hp?

shywn

Savant
I apologise in advance for butchering this emotional scene.

vgD6Q9B.png

JzpUVKS.png
This ...

I jumped off the horse before I finished listening the words Minardi let out.​

The town, small but vibrant before our sally, was now in shambles. ~~

roRG3Zi.png

JzpUVKS.png
Do you know the extent of the damage? ~~

koWVu7A.png
Yes ... It was too late already when we got here. ~~

Minardi was talking with the soldier who had come to investigate, but I had no time to listen in on their conversation.​

67CJb2k.png
Anyone here!?

I shouted and ran at the same time.​

67CJb2k.png
Dad!

The village's lone tavern my father used to get drunk in after work, was a putrid heap of charred wood and corpses.​

67CJb2k.png
Mum!

The house I used to live in was half destroyed by fire.​

67CJb2k.png
Anyone alive?!

pGUCXmj.png

The main street, where we got our water from, had charred corpses laid in a row. ~~~~

67CJb2k.png
Ti...

The name I had been holding until the last, the one I most needed to shout, stuck to my throat.​

67CJb2k.png

I felt that if I shout her name, I would have to deal with the reality of the situation I wished not to accept.​

rnrpxWM.png

Twenty more steps ... and then, behind the corner, is her house.​

Fifteen...​

That house alone ... should be safe ...​

Ten ... five ...​

And then, as always, her cheerful voice would welcome me back.​

'I'm back', I'd reply, and then I'd wake from this wicked dream...​

67CJb2k.png
Tim Ti... maya

I turned the corner.​

nBLzy71.png

The house was a wreck.​

The now jet black support beams, tilting into and blending with the dark of the night, spoke of the fact that there used to be a house here. ~~~

d30HWT2.png
Tim Timaya...

No answer.​

d30HWT2.png
Tim Timaya!

No answer...​

67CJb2k.png
Tim Timaya!!

She is not answering!​

67CJb2k.png
Aaaaagh!!

I pounded my fists against the ground.​

The blunt impact transmits to my arms.​

67CJb2k.png
Aaaaaah!!!

Twice, thrice, I pummel the ground.​

The numbing pain crawls up to my shoulders.​

What? Why? Which? Who?​

Stop it already!​

I don't want to see anything, I don't want to hear anything, I don't want to feel anything!​

JzpUVKS.png
Stop it, Jamrock!

d30HWT2.png
...?

In the dark, howling, I felt a warm touch on my arm.​

d30HWT2.png
Minardi...

Minardi restrained my blood-stained hands.​

JzpUVKS.png
You won't achieve a thing with that.

d30HWT2.png
....!

JzpUVKS.png

Minardi's pitying eyes, filled with sadness, felt like something out of this world.​

67CJb2k.png
Well, what should I do then!

I shouted, ignoring her.​

No, I calmed down just enough to get intelligible words out of my mouth.​

d30HWT2.png
Greatest ever swordsmiths in Altia, my arse! ~~

JzpUVKS.png

d30HWT2.png
They couldn't protect my dad, my mum ...

67CJb2k.png
Not even Tim Timaya ... the one person most important to me, I couldn't protect! ~~

67CJb2k.png
Don't fuck with me ... don't you fuck with me!

Did I...​

Did I, again, fail to protect?​

Minvi...​

wQBWoTG.png
Tim Timaya-san is ... going to be angry with you...

...​

......​

.........​

JnGJRzO.png

d30HWT2.png
...!!

When I regained my senses, I was lying on the bed in the room that was given to me.​

d30HWT2.png

For a moment, I thought that yesterday's turmoil was just a dream, but my bandaged body -- the treatment's timing unknown to me -- reveals that it was but a fleeting hope.​

d30HWT2.png

pHq9zS0.png

GpiCAfW.png
Jamrock-san ... Are you awake?

Kalderina was standing by the door. She looked slightly worn out.​

d30HWT2.png
Yeah... What about Minvi?

GpiCAfW.png

She looked downwards, shook her head slightly.​

d30HWT2.png
Oh.

The answer did not have much an impact on me, for it was the one I expected.​

Instead, deep regret fills my heart.​

GpiCAfW.png
The head priest wishes to discuss the matter with you.

d30HWT2.png
...?

She lead me to the parlour I had been in yesterday. ~~~

There, the high priest was waiting, like she said.​

fHAYWXI.png

yDgBVZX.png
We are truly sorry for the events of the night.

d30HWT2.png
No need to apologise.

yDgBVZX.png
Had we explained everything to you earlier, we may have been able to avert the situation.

d30HWT2.png

yDgBVZX.png
What I am about to tell you now, only a few people inside the temple know.

GpiCAfW.png
Sir! Do you mean...

yDgBVZX.png
It's all right. Jamrock-sama, from this point on, keep in mind that the information is confidential. ~~~

d30HWT2.png
Understood.

yDgBVZX.png
Well then.

yDgBVZX.png
Have you heard the rumours of a questionable religion spreading amongst a section of the claw people?

d30HWT2.png
No, this is new to me.

yDgBVZX.png
I am told of an emerging religion amongst the claw people, and that this religious order has alarming developments.

d30HWT2.png
Alarming developments?

yDgBVZX.png
They wish to topple the monarchy.

d30HWT2.png
That is ...

The sudden grandeur the discussion turned to, lead my words to get stuck in the throat. ~~

yDgBVZX.png
Of course, such a thing would require extensive preparations. It is unlikely that they would do so on a whim. And, one of these preparations ...

GT: Of course, enormous preparation is necessary. I do not think that I am going by drunkard ... and in preparation for that ...

At this point, the high priest stopped, evasively.​

yDgBVZX.png
...One of these preparations include a wicked ritual.

GpiCAfW.png

d30HWT2.png
A wicked ... ritual?

yDgBVZX.png
That ritual is said to happen on a night with a full moon. It supposedly grants tremendous strength to its participants.

yDgBVZX.png
They need to offer a sacrifice in the ritual. And for the offering, an enemy miko, the higher in rank the better, is ...

d30HWT2.png
Wait, a sacrifice?

The high priest slowly nodded to my interruption.​

yDgBVZX.png
Yes. That would be Minvi.

d30HWT2.png
...what?

yDgBVZX.png
This is why we were paying so close attention to Minvi's safety, but it seems they found the one moment we were off guard.

yDgBVZX.png
We have had suspicions of this for a while now, but it seems we had a traitor in our midst.

d30HWT2.png
Who? Where?

yDgBVZX.png
Unfortunately, he seems to have vanished in the confusion.

GT: Unfortunately ... It seems that I got disgusted by the trouble.

d30HWT2.png
Oh. I will leave the investigation of that to you.

yDgBVZX.png
Very well. We shall leave no stone unturned.

d30HWT2.png
Then, you spoke of the full moon, right?

yDgBVZX.png
Yes.

d30HWT2.png
Yesterday was the new moon, so fourteen more days...

d30HWT2.png
Do you have any leads regarding the religious order?

yDgBVZX.png
Unfortunately, no. Nothing except that the claw people are involved. Sorry.

d30HWT2.png
Guess I have no clue but to dig up leads on my own then...

I made up my mind and stood up.​

GT: I never got up my mind.

yDgBVZX.png
? Jamrock-sama?

d30HWT2.png
Leave Minvi to me.

yDgBVZX.png
Jamrock-sama!?

d30HWT2.png
This situation came to because I failed to protect her.

yDgBVZX.png
But, you were not responsible for her.

d30HWT2.png
It's not a question of who was responsible.

d30HWT2.png
Just that, if I don't do something, I cannot get my mind settled.

GT: However, if you do not do it your feelings will not fit.

yDgBVZX.png
But...

GpiCAfW.png
I will accompany you!

yDgBVZX.png
Kalderina!?

The high priest's flustered voice echoed in the room​

GpiCAfW.png

Kalderina was looking at me with sincere eyes.​

But, I can easily imagine that to her, this trip will not be easy.​

I ...​

1. oppose her proposition.
  2. support her proposition.

Well, a cleric in our party can't hurt. She can patch up Jamrock every time he loses consciousness due to a papercut.

I'm pretty sure she'd come with even if I chose the other option, by the way. She's our little guide after all.

d30HWT2.png
It's not that I cannot understand her feelings.

yDgBVZX.png
B-but...

GpiCAfW.png
Please! I will not be a burden.

GT: Please. Never got dressed in feet ...

After her assertion, Kalderina looked at me​

GpiCAfW.png
I have knowledge of medicine. So, I'm sure I'll come in useful.

d30HWT2.png

I direct my gaze at the high priest.​

As he noticed my gaze, he slowly nodded, as if saying 'good grief' to himself.​

yDgBVZX.png
Jamrock-sama, may I entrust Minvi and Kalderina to you?

d30HWT2.png
Yes.

GpiCAfW.png
Thank you very much! Jamrock-sama! Sir!

yDgBVZX.png
We will try to help you as much as we can, too.

yDgBVZX.png
I will write a secret letter instructing all the temples in Altia to help you as they can, and entrust it to Kalderina.

d30HWT2.png
Thank you.

yDgBVZX.png
It's my pleasure. But, when are you going to depart?

d30HWT2.png
We mustn't delay a moment longer. We should depart right now. Are you ... Kalderina, do you need to prepare in any way? ~~

GpiCAfW.png
Oh, I'll get right to it!

d30HWT2.png
I'll go prepare myself too.

yDgBVZX.png
All right. I shall write the letter then.

d30HWT2.png
Thank you.

JnGJRzO.png

I don't really have much to pack though ...​

The only important thing I have is this sword.​

The cold sparkle of the blade caught my attention.​

d30HWT2.png
Surely ... no, definitely ...

d30HWT2.png
I'll definitely get you out of there, Minvi!

TIviS69.png

yDgBVZX.png
Well then, we shall pray for good fortune in your battles.

d30HWT2.png
Thanks.

GpiCAfW.png
We will be off now, Sir.

yDgBVZX.png
Kalderina, please don't overexert yourself.

GpiCAfW.png
I won't.

d30HWT2.png
Let's go.

GpiCAfW.png
Yes.

yDgBVZX.png

We left the Zeinhad temple behind.​

So ... if they kidnapped the number one miko and plan to sacrifice her, is it really a good idea to send number two to save her?

Oh, yes. This is the end of the prologue. Real game starts here. (But do still read the next post.)

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
pPeyw4K.png

This is what Kalderina's character sheet looks like.

As expected, she's worse than Jamrock in pretty much every aspect.

Her special skills are:

【Emergency treatment】 A command for treating a single person on a caldeverina who is good at medical technology. Recover the damage point slightly. Required work points: 3

Pretty obvious. In-combat healing.

Those question marks, I think, mean that she'll get other combat skills sometime during the game.

[To receive advice] A command to advise on behaviors to be performed next during the search. There is no point in listening to the same thing. Required work points: 3

You can also ask her for advice during the exploration. At a cost of three work points, she'll tell you where you need to go to progress with the plot. Kind of handy, really.

IJvl4yX.png

GpiCAfW.png
Er, Jamrock-san?

d30HWT2.png
Hm?

GpiCAfW.png
About the lodgings from now on...

d30HWT2.png
Yeah, it's going to be quite tough to find some place to stay the night, since I'm a wanted man and so on.

GpiCAfW.png
That is what I meant to discuss. For the situation at hand, we receive the Zeinhad temples' complete cooperation, so we can stay in the temple church in every town and village.

d30HWT2.png
That is most welcome. We don't have to suffer discomfort due the night dew that way.

GpiCAfW.png
Moreover, they will guard our secret thoroughly, so we should not get arrested there.

d30HWT2.png
Good.

GpiCAfW.png
Then, about our plans from now on...

d30HWT2.png
That's right... First we need to find some clues on Minvi's whereabouts.

d30HWT2.png
On that tangent, we need to investigate this claw people organisation that kidnapped Minvi.

d30HWT2.png
But, we can't spend time for nothing. It is probably reasonable to head for the mountains in the north, where the claw people mostly live, and check out the towns near our journey.

GpiCAfW.png
I agree. I inquired for some information on the towns we can stop by tonight, from the head priest.

d30HWT2.png
Oh. What did he say?

GpiCAfW.png
According to him, in the town of Domst, there is a claw person who acts as an adviser to the claw people, a monk by the name of Gelpudiu. ~~~~

GpiCAfW.png
We may be able to get some information on the claw people from there.

GpiCAfW.png
Then, in the village of Clinacle, there is a claw woman by the name of Karikai, who sought sanctuary from the temple church there.

GpiCAfW.png
While we don't know her exact circumstances, there is a possibility that her situation has a link to our current case.

GpiCAfW.png
Time-wise, we cannot check them both out. Shall we go to the town of Domst, or to the village of Clinacle?

oGIX2Yi.png

Where to now? Domst or Clinacle? Let's have a vote.

I hope to have the results by Tuesday morning European time (Monday night US time).

(Also, if anyone has a singular noun for the claw people that sounds less stupid than 'claw person', please post your suggestion.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom