Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Naked Lunch against the forces of evil

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Naked_Lunch said:
The sad thing is, that guy's serious.
Are you sure? I couldn't stomach the whole thread, but he mention his desire for ninja pirateship! That just doesn' strike me as a serious response.

Rhombus

Liturgist
cybernetic undead pirate ninjas are the coolest!

If Fallout 3 has that I'd love Todd and Pete too..

Rhombus

Liturgist
They're now discussing this thread in that thread in which we are discussing that thread.. this all makes me kinda dizzy.. :?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
One of the reasons I made this thread was to see how quickly these assholes prove that they visit the Codex they hate so much regularly.

Sirbolt

Liturgist
Roleplaying isn't jumping going "I am Morhpaneinalian'2wqn, son of Bergienonanai , Lord of Cockland. I killed my father and for pennace I will jump everywhere I go."

Bwahahaha!

Rhombus

Liturgist
Naked Lunch for president!!

That t-shirt idea they had was pretty good..

"I visited the Codex and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"...

Maybe? :?

Lumpy

Arcane
Naked_Lunch said:
Moron. Don't help the fucking prince. At least in TES you can ignore the main quest.
BUT THEN THE INVADING DEMONS WILL DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!
OMG!!!
What's your point. Gothic didn't allow you to join Cor Kalom. In Fallout, joining the master was akin to dying. In Fallout 2, you just infiltrated the Enclave.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't know why the fuck all these people are pretending to be various characters without being able to act like them.
OMG I have a cutlass and sailor clothes I'm teh uber pirate!!! I've finished the Mages Guild the Fighters Guild the Thieves Guild the DB and the arena. R00fles.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
At least Fallout gave you the options. I thought The Master actually had a pretty good plan (aside from the whole sterility thing) and wanted to join up with him. In most other games, I wouldn't be able to and I'd just kill him because he's teh big baddie(tm). The fact that you at least had the options showed the foresight the devs had.

In Oblivion, the game boasts it's all free-form do-what-you-like-at-your-leisure but yet, there's an invading horde trying to destroy Tamriel? Huh? It's jarring, as is ignoring the main quest when the game constantly tries to force you into it.
Moron. Don't help the fucking prince. At least in TES you can ignore the main quest.
Nothing comes of it, so what's the point? In Fallout, you can actively see the mutatns taking over places, spreading et cetera. All you get in Oblivion are stationary gates that occasionally spit out monsters that just happen to be exactly leveled to your skills.
Are you sure? I couldn't stomach the whole thread, but he mention his desire for ninja pirateship! That just doesn' strike me as a serious response.
Well, when I responded to him about it with the Notepad thingy, he chastised my about my supposed lack of imagination and not "roleplaying" in TES correctly, so yeah I think he's serious.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lumpy said:
OMG!!!
What's your point. Gothic didn't allow you to join Cor Kalom. In Fallout, joining the master was akin to dying. In Fallout 2, you just infiltrated the Enclave.

Those games didn't also hype the hell out of how you didn't have to do the main quest. If Bethesda had handled the demon flood like Avernum 3 handled the monster hordes, this wouldn't be an issue. However, saying the world is in jeopardy because of invading demons making with the hell on earth, then there probably should be a consequence of not doing the main quest as well.

Oddly enough, once you got the water chip in the original Fallout, you could take your time on dealing with the Mutant Army. However, the longer you waited, the more towns would fall to the Mutant Army until the Mutant Army took over. That feature was pulled in the first patch because a few people cried about it.

Lumpy

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
Lumpy said:
OMG!!!

Those games didn't also hype the hell out of how you didn't have to do the main quest. If Bethesda had handled the demon flood like Avernum 3 handled the monster hordes, this wouldn't be an issue. However, saying the world is in jeopardy because of invading demons making with the hell on earth, then there probably should be a consequence of not doing the main quest as well.

Oddly enough, once you got the water chip in the original Fallout, you could take your time on dealing with the Mutant Army. However, the longer you waited, the more towns would fall to the Mutant Army until the Mutant Army took over. That feature was pulled in the first patch because a few people cried about it.
Maybe because, at least in Gothic, you had to do the main quest?
In Fallout, what mutant invasions? Were cities actually destroyed, or was that just in the ending clips?

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch's every sentence is the golden truth. Unfortunately he is talking to a bunch of idiots or undead pirate ninjas...

Lumpy

Arcane
Naked_Lunch said:
At least Fallout gave you the options. I thought The Master actually had a pretty good plan (aside from the whole sterility thing) and wanted to join up with him. In most other games, I wouldn't be able to and I'd just kill him because he's teh big baddie(tm).
You could join him and the game ends. Big fucking deal. If the game actually allowed you to continue, it would have been interesting.
In Morrowind, at least there were several mods which allowed you to join Dagoth Ur.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
In Fallout, what mutant invasions? Were cities actually destroyed, or was that just in the ending clips?
Cities weren't actually destroyed, just a bunch of mutants everywhere, original inhabitants killed et cetera.
You could join him and the game ends. Big fucking deal. If the game actually allowed you to continue, it would have been interesting.
In Morrowind, at least there were several mods which allowed you to join Dagoth Ur.
Agreed, they could've done more but the fact that it was still in there gets them cookie points.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
It was always the Daedra's plan to stroll about in the pretty grass, occasionally murdering wildlife, steadily diminishing the bear population of Cyrodil. Invasion was never in the cards.

Gambler

Augur
You hate Oblivion for all the wrong reasons. It's quite simple, really. There are basicly two kinds of single-player games out there: system games and artistic games. System games are about giving player an intellectual challenge to beat. They are like chess or checkers. Artistic games are all about expressing ideas. They are like books or movies. These two kinds are not mutually exclusive, so a game can have a little of both. Oblivion has neither. It lacks structural complexity and ideas. Therefore, it's a bad game.

<-- This is how you ward off hoards of evil Oblivion fans. Maybe it's arrogant, but at least it's based on something outside of "I (don't) like it, it's (not) fun."

onerobot

Scholar
Gambler said:
You hate Oblivion for all the wrong reasons. It's quite simple, really. There are basicly two kinds of single-player games out there: system games and artistic games. System games are about giving player an intellectual challenge to beat. They are like chess or checkers. Artistic games are all about expressing ideas. They are like books or movies. These two kinds are not mutually exclusive, so a game can have a little of both. Oblivion has neither. It lacks structural complexity and ideas. Therefore, it's a bad game.

<-- This is how you ward off hoards of evil Oblivion fans. Maybe it's arrogant, but at least it's based on something outside of "I (don't) like it, it's (not) fun."

You're thinking too hard! You're not using your imagination! It's all subjective! It could be worse! You don't know what innovation truly is etc etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom