Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Namco Bandai Sue CD Projekt RED Over The Witcher 2 DRM

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Namco Bandai is apparently angry with CD Projekt RED for removing the DRM on <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2/?as=1649904300">The Witcher 2: &nbsp;Assassins of Kings</a>&nbsp;PC version without their permission. Additionally they are withholding almost $2 million in potato due to CD Projekt RED for choosing THQ as Publisher for the Xbox360 version. They also are suing them for other stuff <a href="http://www.giantbomb.com/news/namco-bandai-files-suit-against-the-witcher-2-developer-cd-projekt-red/3460/">Giant Bomb is reporting</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>When THQ announced it had obtained the European publishing rights to The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for Xbox 360, that apparently surprised Namco Bandai, who had signed a distribution deal with developer CD Projekt Red for the European release of the PC version.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Atari will be publishing The Witcher II on Xbox 360 here in the US. Complicating matters, Atari Europe was acquired by Namco Bandai in 2009, gobbling up Atari's European distribution.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Namco Bandai is also arguing CD Projekt Red broke its contract with Namco Bandai by removing DRM from the PC version of the game without its permission.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Naturally, Optimus and CD Projekt Red believe both are in the clear.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"Namco's claims are unfounded," reads the statement.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>As a consequence of the lawsuit, Namco Bandai is withholding payments of 1,225,000 Euros (roughly $1.75 million dollars).&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"In the opinion of the [Optimus] management board, Namco consequently claim the desire to continue cooperation in the distribution [of] CDP RED products after the recent release of games released on PC, due to the expected potential sales of this title for console Xbox 360," concluded the company. (Also, I blame Google Translate for the awkward phrasing.)</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>$1.75 Million is a lot of potato.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103810-cd-projekt-red-sued-over-the-witcher-2s-drm-removal.html">GameBanshee</a></p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
<p>"In the opinion of the [Optimus] management board, Namco consequently claim the desire to continue cooperation in the distribution [of] CDP RED products after the recent release of games released on PC, due to the expected potential sales of this title for console Xbox 360," concluded the company. (Also, I blame Google Translate for the awkward phrasing.)

Namco: "You scummy potato cost us money, giev money!"
CDPR: "... no."
Namco: "Nothing personal, we would like to continue our partnership so we can make more money!"
CDRP: " :retarded: "

Drakron

Arcane
It looks this is some kind of retaliation from CD Project going with THQ and Atrai instead for them for the XBox 360.

made

Arcane
Spotted at Gamebanshee huh? First you move my thread then you post it as news. Faggot.

Looks like CD Projekt have done everything within their rights, and made a wise decision shopping around for publishing.

The Witcher 2 was obviously a significant success for them, and even though (not having played it) it sounds like it isn't much of an RPG beyond the C&C, growth of any kind in the European games market that isn't at the servitude of the publisher can only mean better opportunities for people trying to start new game studios, and more chances for interesting game concepts in the future

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They were late in pursuing this matter, which made me realize Namco must not be paying attention to what is going on.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, they might have a case with the removal of DRM via patch. Depends on what the contracts say. But I very much doubt they have any case with CDP's choice of publisher...

Also:
Bandai throwing an infantile tantrum, costing CDP millions and then going "hey, we cool?" really is retarded. I see bad times for them.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I'm really impressed with fortitude developers show when they continue screwing after they've already got their dick in the toaster.

Long live Witcher.

DraQ

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
I guess those japs didn't think two nukes were enough?
:salute: : x

Also, we, of the potato, will retaliate by pirating, instead of buying, all Namco Fag-gai games in the foreseeable future.
:rpgcodex:
Oh, wait, we already do.
:troll:
Not that they are worth the hassle being consolefag crap anyway.
:smug:

Darkforge

Augur
I am disappoint.

Here i thought Namco where taking a turn for the better with picking up Witcher 2, Distributing PAL Demon souls and developing Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Now this ...

/facepalm

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
made said:
8596.png

HALP CODEX! I AM TOO FUCKING STUPID AND CANNOT CLICK A BUTTAN AND WRITE TEXT! OMG!! I AM SO BUTTHURT! OMG!

:salute:

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
This lawsuit seems derp because the information is mistranslated.

Namco claims thier distribution contract stated that they were to be given precedence before any other distributor for the Xbox360 version. The Optimus CEO Kiciński doublespeaks his way out if it, saying that the distribution deal concerned the PC version only BUT that Namco was indeed given the option of being their preferred Xbox360 distributor but did not act on the option of preferential treatment (exact words he uses, lawl. Lawspeak baloney). He seems pretty damn sure it'll all end in a pre-litigation settlement or Optimus winning the lawsuit.

The DRM stuff is right, though. Namco is butthurt. They might have a strong case with this bit if they can prove that removing the DRM was 1) breach of contract (dunno, we'd have to see the contract), 2) resulted in financial loss on their part (although this might be really difficult to prove).

In short: not enough info to be sure who's in the right.

made

Arcane
Jaesun said:
made said:
8596.png

HALP CODEX! I AM TOO FUCKING STUPID AND CANNOT CLICK A BUTTAN AND WRITE TEXT! OMG!! I AM SO BUTTHURT! OMG!

:salute:
Wow, you really have turned into a gigantic faggot. What happened? Are you so starved for cock up your ass that you can't think straight anymore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom