Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Natives get a spanking in Expeditions: Conquistador

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Jonas Wæver; Logic Artists

Expeditions: Conquistador, the tactical RPG that started a kickstarter campaign earlier this month, now has some additional gameplay footage to show us. Game designer Jonas Wæver walks us through Conquistador's turn-based combat in a 10 minute battle from an earlier part of the game:

This is the first substantial update for their Kickstarter campagin. Even though tomorrow will give us an additional combat video, further updates may be a little sparse. From the Kickstarter update:

The reason we haven't done more updates here isn't that we don't care or that we're not excited about your contributions, but simply that we've been completely working our asses off on a press build of the game.

We mean to send this build out to the major gaming news outlets, which will hopefully get us a lot more coverage than our Kickstarter project alone can muster - after all, this Kickstarter is just some nice videos and a lot of promises, but the build is hard evidence that we're making a game with lots of depth, character, and attention to detail. The press build has the intro campaign on Hispaniola with about 4-5 hours of gameplay in total. We've got the main campaign all planned out, so if our Kickstarter is funded, we will produce about 20 hours of further gameplay.​

I'm excited to see whether or not they consider the Codex to be a major gaming news outlet.

J1M

Arcane
Would be nice if doctors did something other than cast a fantasy-esque heal spell. Some wounds could inflict bleeding for example, and the doctor could stop it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Shame the game isn't sprite based 2d with hand painted backgrounds. :(

Bleffy

Novice

Part 2.

I like what I've seen so far, even decided to exit the closet read-only mode first time in more than 3 years of lurking (registered last year just to look what GD is).

I do not like that "magic" insta-heal (and "magic" revive, although permanent injuries are good things) and exclusive kickstarter/pre-order content. It's not a deal breaker for me, but another suggestion to overlook it. Will pledge anyway.

Marsal

Arcane
Looks better than AoD in every way. And has party controls.

nicolas-batum-punch.gif

Poor VD. You're such a bastard, VotS.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
The placement of barricades is a stroke of genius (I like new ideas). I like this project very much (so far). My only complaint is that they said the whole game would be offering 20-25 hours of gameplay. AoD demo lasted longer. And you cannot compare the two games. Both are great in their own genre. Too bad I don’t like interactive novels.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks awesome. I do have a question, it looks like all the melee attacks in this battle hit, is there a chance that a melee attack can miss or the opponent dodge it?
@Thomas it's not possible to miss in the melee attacks but if their defence is much higher than your attack, you'll deal very little damage
Need an appropriate emoticon for this, oh here we go:hearnoevil:

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Looks awesome. I do have a question, it looks like all the melee attacks in this battle hit, is there a chance that a melee attack can miss or the opponent dodge it?
@Thomas it's not possible to miss in the melee attacks but if their defence is much higher than your attack, you'll deal very little damage
Need an appropriate emoticon for this, oh here we go:hearnoevil:
I assume that means you disapprove :P

Our original prototype for the combat actually had a miss chance for melee attacks, but first of all it's super annoying to miss in melee, more importantly you could create these tanks by putting all your XP and your equipment into one character and then just send him forth, and none of the enemies could hit him because he had so much armour and defence. This way, you may not deal more than 3-6 points of damage with every hit, but that still means a large group of weak enemies can take down a single powerful enemy eventually - you'll never take no damage, you'll never be completely invincible.

There would be other ways to fix that of course - the occasional critical hits could still deal damage, for example. This was just the solution that created the least frustrating gameplay, least dependent on random chance :)

Marsal

Arcane
...it's super annoying to miss in melee...
It's annoying to miss a ranged attack, too. Why not make those always hit?

...the solution that created the least frustrating gameplay, least dependent on random chance :)
Randomness is frustrating? Why have a damage range on attacks, if that's the case?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
more importantly you could create these tanks by putting all your XP and your equipment into one character and then just send him forth, and none of the enemies could hit him because he had so much armour and defence.
Other turn-based games have solved this problem without making every melee attack hit. Why not examine what they did?
This way, you may not deal more than 3-6 points of damage with every hit, but that still means a large group of weak enemies can take down a single powerful enemy eventually - you'll never take no damage, you'll never be completely invincible.
OTOH it sounds like your system will lead to "deferred success" gameplay i.e. you can play as inefficiently as you want but as long as you can survive their punishment long enough you'll be able to win any fight. People will play like this, complain, and drop it.

Johannes

Arcane
As long as it's not too easy, I don't see a problem with the method described.

Randomness is not bad, but too much of it definitely is.

almondblight

Arcane
If it applies to both sides (which I assume it does) I don't see the problem with it. You know what other game had you never miss? Chess.

EG

Nullified
And now for an "accelerated animations" option in the menu.

Pike

Novice
The game looks like it might be a little easy. Doctors heal pretty fast compared to the amount of damage you take from a gunshot. Traps seem a little overpowered too. Do the natives ever use traps? Can they ever spot them or avoid them if you put them in a choke point like in the video? Otherwise I like the game and pledged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom