Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Naval battles in RPG's. Good examples(UnderRail) and awful examples(PoE2)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ship and naval based combat are part of RPG's since the original D&D. Many retroclones have rules for this type of battles. That said, cRPG's aren't different and many offer naval combat.

The best example of naval combat in a CRPG that I saw so far is the jetski in UnderRail. 15 types of Jetski to chose from, each one with different energy consumption, abilities and so on, you can use your firearms, psi abilities and even grenades in the jetski, each one with different armor, speed, etc. A submachine gun can be quite deadly vs a unarmored jet but against a devastator a heavy anti materiel rifle would do much better. Each jet also come with a unique cool thing. Devastator comes with a fusion cannon, others with laser weapons, harpoons and most of then are unarmored.

ftH3NKn.png

Both, the "pilot" and his jet can be damaged. Attempting to use a melee weapon in a jet is possible but more difficulty than on land.

Now compare to PoE2 :
  • No spell, SLA or anything can be used in naval combat
  • The combat is menu based
  • The combat is dissociated from the gameplay
  • No depth
  • Extremely repetitive
I don't get who approved and had the genial idea of such atrocious naval combat in a CRPG. Just why? Is so boring.

Modron

Arcane
Everytime somebody talks about naval combat I think of Curse of Monkey Island where I went through the whole naval sequence without returning to town so I didn't know you could upgrade your guns. Spent a good ten minutes narrowly avoiding severe broadsides from the final ship and firing back with my piddly cannons that only fired an inch on screen and did a sliver of damage before dying to two broadsides. Upon respawning in town I see I can upgrade my cannons to magical high velocity guns that could fire across the entire screen, did a lot of damage, and reloaded rapidly.

I did actually enjoy the ship to ship combat in Caribbean Blood and Gold but then again I played it years after release fully patched. Haven't really played that many naval combat games besides those and Sid Meier's Pirates remake as I've been meaning to try those Sea Dogs games for years just never quite got around to it.

vazha

Arcane
Sid Meier's Pirates! and Sea Dogs / Corsairs series would be my pick. dont think anything comes quite close to those two titles.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It still amazed me that obsidian didn't just copy sid meiers pirates naval combat and called it a day

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
No mention of Ultima IV or V (can't remember if III had ships with cannons)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom