Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need for Speed Heat (2019)

Gerrard

Arcane
I like how the AI can't even avoid the player when he doesn't go at the start, and drives right into him.

Egosphere

Arcane
If 1987 happened in 2019. Jesus, the lack of sex appeal in those characters is making my testicles crawl into my body.

Behold the patriarchy that was EA 16 years ago:

need-for-speed-underground-2-3612.jpg

Ps: having cops be the bad guys in this series is really stupid

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A study recently found that if a person hates the cops, 87% chance they come from an impoverished family and didn't get a higher education.

So yeah, the game's audience are the retards you see everywhere. They're the biggest part of the population, they pay.

Egosphere

Arcane
A study recently found that if a person hates the cops, 87% chance they come from an impoverished family and didn't get a higher education.

So yeah, the game's audience are the retards you see everywhere. They're the biggest part of the population, they pay.

Don't know about the poverty stats, but it's basic common sense to try and prevent 20 something nobodies racing around public roads at 250 km/h at night. That gameplay vid which Sukhāvatī posted is laughable. Oh oh we're so oppressed by that one cop who's trying to keep our roads functional!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
When it goes fast, I can't see what's ahead, it all becomes blurry and too distant, and then the next second you're in a wall. Can't play race games because of that.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When it goes fast, I can't see what's ahead, it all becomes blurry and too distant, and then the next second you're in a wall. Can't play race games because of that.
Watch the video in full screen so you can get full perspective while driving ingame. Also NFS games tend to have shit loads of visual direction like checkpoints, street lights, arrows embedded on the road.

Pound Meat

Prophet
The lack of gameplay had me worried, but the dancing guys and general lack of respect for public safety pulled me right back in!

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played for 3 - 4 hours, I really like it so far, feel like a stripped down version of Payback which means less time consuming bullshit. Very unintrusive story at the beginning, after the intro it gives you a car of your choice then you spend the next hours just finding activities to take part in. Speed cards are removed, old school grind for buying new parts and cars are back. Handling feels noticably more crisp than Payback, but then again I've always sticked with lightweight Lotus good boys :obviously:

The open world part is kinda, weird. I don't think the game has day/night cycle, you simply switch from day to night with a button, then at night go to a safehouse to end it and start the next day. At day races are more Forza Horizon-esque, traditional festival competitions, no roaming NPC cars on the road, while at night it's more unorganized, police can be alerted, roads don't have side blocks so you have to rely on minimap and checkpoints, and you still keep driving once the race ends (and cops will still chase you if you're already on the run). I feel like night gameplay's more fleshed out, more interesting than at day since it has seperate REP rating that unlocks new stuffs, most police chases happen at night, and atmosphere gets a huge bump (not surprised since Ghost did night atmosphere incredibly well in NFS 2015). It seems like since there's no natural day night cycle, there's no other periods of a day like noon, twilight or dawn which is, blah. They could have done something more subtle to seperate the atmosphere of day and night better, maybe only keep Latin/pop music at day and reserve urban hip hop tracks at night.

Graphics on PC look pretty weird, it's like the developer set sharpening to maximum and forgot to put an option for it back into the game. I'm also not a fan of forced vigenette. The city feels pretty lifeless at day too, probably due to the cold blue filter and static environment. Performance is pretty good, I'm getting <= 45FPS on high setting 900p with i3 4170 and RX 570. I'm getting a Ryzen 5 3600 and a new monitor this weekend, hope it can pull off consistent 1080p 60fps. All the fuss about Red Dead Redemption 2's performance made me glad I held off buying it and went with NFS Heat instead.

It's trying to blend Underground and Forza Horizon but doesn't have the full nuance of either, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless, probably the first one since Pro Street that hasn't made my eyes roll early.

EDIT: forgot one thing, the cops in this game are absolutely TERRIFYING. Seriously the game didn't hesitate to throw 5 cars after my poor ass BMW M3, and those fuckers were ready to eat me alive. Although thanks to them, I found a pretty hilarious method to get rid of cops now: just drive into canal, the game gonna teleport you back to shore and chance is you can witness the cop chasing you head straight into the same water pit:M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom