Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need Help in Icwind Dale 2

Thunderello

Novice
:oops:
Hi, i am new to the icewind dale2 type game. i am having problems getting the correct mix of my party of 6. i have a few questions.
I have a couple of questions to ask you guys.
1:) I have a Rogue, about level 8, it says i can use first level spells like entangle ect but when i try to use them in battle it dark grey and cant be selected. Why is this?
2:) I am on that ice temple bit i think its the start of chapter 2 when the air ship crashes in the snow. How do you defeat that big huge queen worm and then that knight type fellow with the wings after you kill her? (Without taking heavy losses)
3:) Also i want an excellent archer with great skill with a bow, i am using the rogue, she is pretty good but her damager only ranges from between 3-9.
4:) finaly (sorry about this) how do you use the ressurect spell? here is my party.
Rogue
sorcerer
wizard
barbarian
paladin
and Druid (I think) can any of these learn resurrect?

Thanks guys

Um, try the general help forum for game tips.

Never played IWD2, but from what I know about D&D, only clerics get resurrection, unless you've got a wizard with experience to burn and wish.

Jed

Cipher
Ummm...I'm not so sure rogues can use spells, unless their multiclassed with Sorc or Wiz. What they can do though is use scrolls and wands. But if you do have a spell, with the Infinity Engine games you have to open your spell book , select the spells you want to "memorize," then rest to be able to cast.

With the ice castle battle, what I did and what usually works fairly well with IE games is to try and draw the enemy to you to thin their ranks, rather than rushing right in. Sneak in your rogue, shoot an arrow, then retreat back to your party and ambush the monsters that follow. If I'm involved in a big melee though, I usually try to concentrate on the small foes, killing as many of the weakers ones as possible to reduce the number of attacks my party is receiving.

Bows in IE games are very weak weapons in general. Try to find magical arrows. Use lots of priest spells to boost your party's damage.

Higher level clerics or druids will receive this spell automatically. Otherwise, try to find scrolls.

Good luck, I quit IWD2 half-way through because the battles just continue to get more and more ridiculous.

J

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, assuming you are not trolling....

I have a Rogue, about level 8, it says i can use first level spells like entangle ect but when i try to use them in battle it dark grey and cant be selected. Why is this?

A rogue does not cast spells unless multiclassed. As for the grey icons, they usually indicate that the requirements for this particular skill or ability are not met.

I am on that ice temple bit i think its the start of chapter 2 when the air ship crashes in the snow. How do you defeat that big huge queen worm and then that knight type fellow with the wings after you kill her? (Without taking heavy losses)

What tactics did you use, what spell did you cast, etc? Give more details. Your party is a bit weak on combat side (for my taste) though.

Also i want an excellent archer with great skill with a bow, i am using the rogue

If you want a raw power take a fighter and give him a bow.

finaly (sorry about this) how do you use the ressurect spell

Only clerics can cast ressurection. You are out of luck. Plan your party better next time.
IWD2 has D2 style, which means you have to fight endless hordes of monsters all day, so start over unless you like to reload a lot.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Thunderello said:
:oops:
Hi, i am new to the icewind dale2 type game. i am having problems getting the correct mix of my party of 6. i have a few questions.
I have a couple of questions to ask you guys.
1:) I have a Rogue, about level 8, it says i can use first level spells like entangle ect but when i try to use them in battle it dark grey and cant be selected. Why is this?
2:) I am on that ice temple bit i think its the start of chapter 2 when the air ship crashes in the snow. How do you defeat that big huge queen worm and then that knight type fellow with the wings after you kill her? (Without taking heavy losses)
3:) Also i want an excellent archer with great skill with a bow, i am using the rogue, she is pretty good but her damager only ranges from between 3-9.
4:) finaly (sorry about this) how do you use the ressurect spell? here is my party.
Rogue
sorcerer
wizard
barbarian
paladin
and Druid (I think) can any of these learn resurrect?

Thanks guys

1) If you have a straight rogue (i.e. not dual or multiclass to a spellslinger) than they do not get spells. Perhaps you mean their special ablities? I forget how to access them but it will say in the manual

2) Yeah that is a tough fight. Try the usual tactics - buff everyone up with potions, spells etc, summon and so forth. It is a tough fight, but you will get it eventually.

3) not sure what to tell you about this. I forget if there are any good bows, etc in the game but probably. Until you find them there is no way to boost damage. Maybe switch to crossbows or composite longbows as they do more damage.

4) Only clerics can use resurrect. Otherwise you will have to find a wand of resurrect or scrolls of resurrect or haul ass back to town to see the local priest.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Re: oops!

Thunderello said:
XJEDX said:
ooops, ok i have IWD2, so if i so if i click Write to spell book then rest ok.
Whats the fastes way to get a sorcerer to learn spells?

Sorcerers gain spells as they level. When you level merely pick the spells you want your sorcerer to have. Altho they can use scrolls they *cannot* learn new spells from them (as wizards can). They only get access to new spells at level up and thus there is no faster way to get them new spells other than leveling.

Thunderello

Novice
Re: oops!

Crazy Tuvok said:
Thunderello said:
XJEDX said:
Ok thanks guys. It looks like im going to have to start again then because i cant ressurect anyone on site as if i haul ass back to town ill loose all the stuff i collected as all 6 of my parties inventorys are nearly full :(

Can you guys tell me the best combination of 6 charactors to start with + whats to give then ability wise starting off.

Thanks a mill guys.

Jed

Cipher
D&D basically is built around the idea of a four-person party:
Someone who can fight well (fighter, barbarian, or paladin)
Someone who can sneak, picklocks, find & disarm traps (rogue, bard, ranger)
Someone who can use magic (wiz, bard, sorc)
Someone who can heal & buff the party (druid, cleric)

Normally, as long as you have these bases covered, you should do fine. But since this is an Infinity Engine game, everything is tilted towards combat, thus skewing your party needs. I would recommend you cover the above four bases, then add two more melee fighters or a melee fighter and a magic caster. That should get you through the game, yet showcase most of the aspects of D&D beyond going toe-to-toe with everything you meet.

Most of the more powerful weapons you'll find in IWD will be axes & swords, so focus your melee fighters on these weapons, rather than more "exotic" items like polearms or blunt weapons.

Ph4t L33wt & b00biez forever,
Jed

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I would say go with

Aasimar Paladin for diplomacy, holy avenger, and aura of courage; Long Sword
Half-Orc Fighter, 2-Handed sword
Elven Fighter, Bow (there are plenty of wicked arrows later on)
Human Cleric of Tempus (or Bane for some dialogues line, your paladin would not mind :lol: ), Morning Star
Tiefling Rogue, Crossbow
Wiz or a Sorc does not really matter which, Darts. (Although I think you should use a wizard, gives less experienced player more flexibility spell-wise)

That way you have 2 tank fighters to deliver and absorb damage, 2 ranged unit to handle spellcasters and hard to reach areas (give them weapon finesse feat for close combat - that allows them to use dex modifier instead of str), and 2 spellcasters that will kick ass later on.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
race wise watch out for overloading your party with the "sub"races that suffer an XP penalty (aasimir, tiefling, drow, etc)
party wise Vault Dweller is right on. Since it is an IE game and one explicitly devoted to combat you are going to want to tilt your party in that direction.
two tanks (fighters, barbarians or paladins)
a rogue
a cleric
and personally I would go with a wizard and a sorcerer
Imo, rangers and druids are near useless in this game.

for the few times it happens make sure to have a high Int/ high Cha character to be the group's spokesperson. That is one reason I take a sorcerer - they need the high Cha to cast and it is no problem to pump up their Int thus making them ideal spokespeople.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom