Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nehrim

Two complaints so far:

1. God damn this shit is dark. With a torch I can barely see my feet. Then my torch went out 1/3rd through the first dungeon and I had to cheat by upping my monitor brightness to eye-burning level just to see what was going on. Thankfully I can mod this easily, as soon as I found out I had to enter another mine I modded the torches to have 3x the light radius and last 10x longer. Also made them actually produce light instead of some weird shade of red.

2. Stupid level with use system. I can't stand how metagamey it is. They have a perfectly good XP system and yet they only use it for 1/3rd of the character system. :x

cubgrace

Novice
I like the way they did the torches. Makes it feel more like I really am in a dungeon. The red light is a little bothersome. But so far, I really like the game. 10 times better than Oblivion.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Can't Start New game. This mod SUCKS BALLS.

bloodlover

Arcane
Zed said:

Make sure you install the game in a separate folder than Oblivion and install Net Framework and it will work.

roll-a-die

Magister
bloodlover said:
Zed said:

Make sure you install the game in a separate folder than Oblivion and install Net Framework and it will work.
Also, it syncs to you Ob load list for some reason. So disable those and enable nehrim.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I have done all that but it doesn't work. I click New Game, it asks "are you sure?" I click yes and I'm back at the main menu.

I must say that I am tempted to give not removing oblivion from inventory a go, simply to try this. Any way this looks like it could be some fun dungeon crawling, perhaps even despite the broken combat system of oblivion.

dr. one

Augur
Zed said:
I have done all that but it doesn't work. I click New Game, it asks "are you sure?" I click yes and I'm back at the main menu.

run Nehrim Launcher in Program Files/SureAI/Nehrim and make sure only Data Files checked are Nehrim.esm, NehrimData.esp and NehrimEnglish.esp.
everything else, including Oblivion.esm needs to be unchecked, don´t forget to confirm the changes by clicking at "accept".

just emerged from the mine and it´s been a good starting dungeon for sure.
very Arx Fatalisy.
limiting the availability of torches was a good way to put some pressure on player. haven´t gamma cheated, but one door remained locked, hopefully i haven´t missed something and they´re connected with something later.

it´s a pity they haven´t adopted the Xp based system fully.

Tails

Arbiter
Too bad they choose Oblivion engine for this mod, I can't run Nehrim with average speed. Any advices regarding settings?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone played long enough to see if there is any c&c in the game, and is there worth in increasing speechcraft?

Misterhamper

Scholar
Tails said:
Too bad they choose Oblivion engine for this mod, I can't run Nehrim with average speed. Any advices regarding settings?

I have most view distance set to 25, 50 for objects and 15 for trees and then also enabled Distand Landscape and distant trees etc. Looks pretty good and gives good fps.

I also have LowPolyTree and LowPolyGrass and Stutter Remover (OBSE) mods installed.

Get 25+ fps outside in the heavy areas, 20 fps very few times. GTX460 and Athlon X3. HDR and 1680x1050

Stabwound

Arcane
So, uh, when I start the game and talk to the guy at the beginning, my character moves at about the speed of a 200 year old turtle in a tar pit. The game is running at full speed but the movement speed is so slow that the character literally moves backwards if I'm not pressing forward. WTF?

cubgrace

Novice
Hold down the shift key? Run instead of Walk.

I need help, I am color blind and have a hard time knowing when things are red and green, I installed an Oblivion MOD of BlueHudRReticleCrime, but it don't seem to be working. Any of you guys have an idea on what to do to help me?

The problem is I can't tell if I am stealing something or not.

Thanks,

Zeus

Cipher
Tails said:

Oblivion's readme has performance advice should also apply to Nehram (especially obvious ones like turn down resolution).

3. Performance Tuning

There are several things you can do to increase game performance.

* Make sure you have no other programs running in the background.

* Lower the game resolution. The game runs faster at 640x480 and 800x600.

* Go to your Options menu and select Video. Try the following options to improve performance: Set View Distance as low as possible. Your framerate and load times will improve but you will not be able to view as far.

* Set Tree, Actor, Item and Object Fade as low as possible. This will cause certain objects in the world to fade away sooner. This will increase your framerate but degrade visual quality.

* Set Texture Size to Medium or Small. Textures on objects will not appear as sharp when this setting is reduced. This will increase your framerate but degrade visual quality.

* Set Grass slider as low as possible. This will cause less grass to be displayed around your character. This will increase your framerate but you will see less grass displayed.

* Set Distant LOD to OFF. This will reduce your view distance, but your framerate and load times will improve.

* Set Distant Buildings to OFF. You will not see cities or the Imperial City in the distant landscape but your framerate and load times will improve.

* Set Distant Trees to OFF. You will not see trees in the distant landscape but your framerate and load times will improve.

* Set Interior Shadows as low as possible. This will decrease the number of characters that cast shadows while you are in interiors, improving your framerate.

* Set Exterior Shadows as low as possible. This will decrease the number of characters that cast shadows while you are in exteriors, improving your framerate.

* Set Self Shadows to OFF. The Player and other characters will no longer cast shadows on themselves, but will still cast shadows on the environment. This will improve your framerate.

* Set Grass Shadows to OFF. Shadows will no longer display on grass. This will improve your framerate.

* Set Tree Canopy Shadows to OFF. The forests will no longer cast shadows on the landscape, improving your framerate.

* Set Shadow Filtering as low as possible or off. This will reduce the amount of softening the shadows receive, but increase framerate.

* Set Specular Light as low as possible. This will cause objects to lose their shininess at lower distances, improving your framerate.

* Set HDR Lighting to OFF. This will increase your framerate but degrade visual quality.

* Use Bloom lighting instead of HDR, or turn Bloom off. Bloom is a less intensive version of HDR. Turning it off will improve framerate but degrade visual quality.

* Make sure Water Detail is set to Normal. High detail water will decrease your framerate.

* Set Water Reflections and Ripples to OFF. This will increase your framerate while you are near water, but the water will not show reflections or react to objects interacting with it.

* Set Window Reflections to Off. This will remove the subtle reflections from windows but improve framerate.

* Set Blood Decals to Medium or Low. At Medium, decals do not get applied to characters, only landscape. At Low, no decals get applied at all. These will increase your framerate in combat situations.

* Turn anti-aliasing down or off. This will degrade overall visual quality but improve your framerate.

* Turn off music
The music is mp3 format and can slow the game down.

There's also this in-depth tweak guide:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Tails

Arbiter
Thanks for the advices guys but nothing helped - in the first dungeon I barely get 25 fps. Funny, since the game looks more uglier then Morrowind, when the lowest settings are on. I'm gonna play Nehrim one day though, after proper PC upgrade.

The game runs faster at 640x480 and 800x600.
Lies, the performance was even worse on 640 res... this engine is so terrible.

Stabwound

Arcane
My dude still runs like he's stuck in molasses no matter what I do. Guess I'll try reinstalling.

update: It was because I had a gamepad plugged in.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
JarlFrank said:
So I guess it's worth doing a secondary install of Oblivion besides the one with about 50 mods added to it, just to try this out.
How do you do that?

Zeus

Cipher
Dicksmoker said:
JarlFrank said:
So I guess it's worth doing a secondary install of Oblivion besides the one with about 50 mods added to it, just to try this out.
How do you do that?

When you install Nehrim, it has an option to automatically copy your Oblivion directory to a new location. Otherwise I'm pretty sure it just writes over all kinds of files. But yeah, it's pretty painless, just hit the checkbox and type in a new location.

dr. one

Augur
DramaticPopcorn said:
I am close to ragequit. Gameplay is duller than in a modded Oblivion, so far (not that I'm gonna play it, though). And gameplay is more important to me than area design.

i´ve played it for 6 hours yesterday and after the excellent introduction dungeon it went downhill fast. as you said, it´s simply DULL.
characters have nothing to say besides quest-giving, voice acting is subpar (understandably, but still), a lot of Oblivion mechanics still in, AI sucks, invisible colision boxes in this kind of game suck hard and what´s the (7-14 level) nonsense? one random dungeon i´ve been to was a standard Oblivion fare. monsters have been boring and unimaginative so far as well. instead of scamps we get nasty kobolds, huh.

also, quests feel very pre-scripted. i´ve played a bit of the main quest and so far there was no support for alternative solutions whatsoever. ok, so i´m supposed to "rescue" a slave from her master, screw the negotiation i say and i proceed to kill him - so i do that while his mates just stand there doing nothing, the result - "slavemaster" is unconcious, no dice. the only way to proceed in the quest felt very forced.

so far the only interesting aspect is a puzzle element and general lack of resources.

playing it mostly just reminded me how superior Gothic or well modded Oblivion are.
when treated as a mod it´s certainly an impressive achievement, when treated as a standalone game (which it for all purposes is) it, well, kinda sucks (so far).

maybe it´s yet to hit its stride and some issues will be reduced/compensated for later, i dunno.
i´ve been sent into the capital city and its exploration and getting there will take a while, but if the game doesn´t significantly pick up meanwhile, uninstall is probably due.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh, what I like most about the game is the landscape design and the dungeon design (with most dungeons having some nice end-bosses, sometimes a little puzzle, and worthwile loot) so it's a great "hiking simulator" like Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom