Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nehrim

hiciacit

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
dr. one said:
but one door remained locked, hopefully i haven´t missed something and they´re connected with something later.

Nah, that starting dungeon won't be revisited.

Yes it will, in a way. Outside of the mine you'll be giving an additional quest by one of the guards to search the upper mine for some shovels (he'll give you a key). If you poke around in the dark a bit there you end up on the other side of that locked door (you mean the one right before the big bridge right?).

Is there some kind of weird limit to sprinting in this game? My character is suddenly slowing down to a near standstill a few seconds after I start running now.

Also I can't get those silly stone blocks to block off the rat holes no matter how much I fiddle with them :(

bloodlover

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Is there some kind of weird limit to sprinting in this game? My character is suddenly slowing down to a near standstill a few seconds after I start running now.

Also I can't get those silly stone blocks to block off the rat holes no matter how much I fiddle with them :(

just press the "z" key and you will be able to move them around. Then just go with the brick near a hole and it will be blocked instantly.

Mortmal

Arcane
dr. one said:
DramaticPopcorn said:
I am close to ragequit. Gameplay is duller than in a modded Oblivion, so far (not that I'm gonna play it, though). And gameplay is more important to me than area design.

i´ve played it for 6 hours yesterday and after the excellent introduction dungeon it went downhill fast. as you said, it´s simply DULL.
characters have nothing to say besides quest-giving, voice acting is subpar (understandably, but still), a lot of Oblivion mechanics still in, AI sucks, invisible colision boxes in this kind of game suck hard and what´s the (7-14 level) nonsense? one random dungeon i´ve been to was a standard Oblivion fare. monsters have been boring and unimaginative so far as well. instead of scamps we get nasty kobolds, huh.

also, quests feel very pre-scripted. i´ve played a bit of the main quest and so far there was no support for alternative solutions whatsoever. ok, so i´m supposed to "rescue" a slave from her master, screw the negotiation i say and i proceed to kill him - so i do that while his mates just stand there doing nothing, the result - "slavemaster" is unconcious, no dice. the only way to proceed in the quest felt very forced.

so far the only interesting aspect is a puzzle element and general lack of resources.

playing it mostly just reminded me how superior Gothic or well modded Oblivion are.
when treated as a mod it´s certainly an impressive achievement, when treated as a standalone game (which it for all purposes is) it, well, kinda sucks (so far).

maybe it´s yet to hit its stride and some issues will be reduced/compensated for later, i dunno.
i´ve been sent into the capital city and its exploration and getting there will take a while, but if the game doesn´t significantly pick up meanwhile, uninstall is probably due.

The slaver quest doesnt make much sense indeed, the obvious option should be to kill the slavemaster and flee with kim but no instead you sell yourself as a slave ad finally have to escape from a dungeons and kill more guards than there is inhabitants in the village.However the story is still more consistent than oblvion .
The dungeons design is much better than oblivion , less uberloot everywhere, sets of special items, overall its much better for exploration and the landscape is gorgeous.
Now the npc are fully voiced but they dont have much to say and its in german, not much point for the vast majority of us.
Sadly the guards are still psychic, you can steal everything in a house, take the shiny templar armor in front of the sanctum vendor, nothing happen, they dont react, but way later i get caught after entering in stonefield for those theft and a travelling merchant murder(i wanted his donkey!). Theres no way the guards should know this.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like the dungeons and music a lot. Rest is meh.

bloodlover said:
Overweight Manatee said:

just press the "z" key and you will be able to move them around. Then just go with the brick near a hole and it will be blocked instantly.

I've been using the Z key, I wave the block all around the hole and nothing happens :(

Zed said:
I like the dungeons and music a lot. Rest is meh.

Yeah, thats my impression as well. The overall world design is great, it just isn't filled in all that well. It also has too many crappy Oblivion mechanics that bring it down as well.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I had to crouch and dry hump the wall with one of the bricks before it finally snapped into place. Try harder!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First the Witcher and now this?

This just goes to prove that only Americans (and I guess Canadians) are capable of being objective towards games that come out of their own nation.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Anyone know of list that indicates the location of teleport providers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom