Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

DefJam101

Arcane
Player attacks Blue Frog Cultist...and hits!
Player gashed Blue Frog Cultist's lower left arm with a hardened spear stab.
Blue Frog Cultist is stunned and unable to move for a moment.
** End Turn **
Blue Frog Cultist is bleeding.
Player attacks Blue Frog Cultist...and hits!
Player lacerated Blue Frog Cultist's lower chest with a hardened spear stab.
Blue Frog Cultist is coughing up blood.
** End Turn **
Blue Frog Cultist is bleeding.
Blue Frog Cultist attacks Player...and hits!
Blue Frog Cultist demolished Player's head with a crowbar.
Player has a concussion, and is somewhat disoriented.
Player is stunned and unable to move for a moment.
Player is bleeding internally.
Player has a concussion, and is somewhat disoriented.
** End Turn **

:(

You shoulda "Run" during that turn he was stunned. :M

Spears can attack from range 2 (maybe 3?) so you maintain that range while poking the dude when he tries to close and then use "stunned" turns to back off again. Plus if you got a serious wound on them you can basically just keep backing off and wait for them to fall out from blood loss. It's probably the way to keep a strong melee type as low-risk as possible while still being a horrible murderer that kills everyone he meets
Broad spear is the best overall melee weapon for this reason.

Demanding surrender is also a reliable option when you're a strong tough gun-toting dogman fur-wearing unstoppable wendigo

sser

Arcane
Developer
Can you sell what you find on hacked laptops separately or do you basically have to sell the laptop wholesale?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Broad spear is the best overall melee weapon for this reason.

Why? Do they do more stunning damage? My thinking is the more lethal, bleeding damage the better (and passing out from blood loss). Kill them before they kill you. Though in this instance, that was not the case. heh. I HAD THIS BASTARD!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The sling is pretty awesome. Combined with hiding, I've had pretty good luck killing people before they can even detect me.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Got an idea while at work, came home and drew it.

live_a_short_life_in_dire_need_by_nebuchadnezzaurus-d8asmiu.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So I tried a ranged dude just for the hell of it (NOW I know what those pieces of aluminum foil are for).

Bows and Arrows "magically" take damage/wear EVEN IF YOU NEVER USE THEM each turn. What in the hell? :roll:

And man, How come Engineer can make ALL THE COOL STUFF. I think I will try one of those next since some DOGMAN ASSHOLE just killed me... :/

I hate those assholes...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ahhhh and Engineer helps you to avoid dangerous scavenging encounters (though the Loot bar drops a bit).

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Get Strong and Melee - use it on first fight in Cyro. You get tape with killing dogman only with your bare hands + dogman body (his hide is preety much best in the game).
You can use tape in some places (like in Detroit).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Get Strong and Melee - use it on first fight in Cyro. You get tape with killing dogman only with your bare hands + dogman body (his hide is preety much best in the game).
You can use tape in some places (like in Detroit).

Scavenging the wastes like a barbarian warlord! gets some bragging rights too :) Had my best playthrough thanks to this event.
Which ended by "spoiler" enemy who was waiting me inside my main base, I had such a good shelter with lots of food and stuff :/

This game is solid. A true survival and crafting game after all those copy&paste zombo survival shit storm.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
What does the "spy" option actually do? The manual says it gives additional info on a creature, but so far every time I use it, I just get something like "Player spied on the plains". Am I missing something obvious here?

sser

Arcane
Developer
You can kinda eyeball them on the map, by the way. Like you can tell when a guy has a cleaver or a rifle, etc. For example, I just spied a guy with a gas mask. I really wanted a gas mask. I have a gas mask now.

rogozhin

Cipher
Did I just manage to fuck up the main quest right at its start?

Entered the DMC, got the name and address from the bank, was caught and exiled for a year before actually visiting the guy. Is there a way to reverse the ban and get a new pass or do I have to either fuck around for a year (and probably die a horrible death while trying to survive for so long) or start over?

DefJam101

Arcane
Did I just manage to fuck up the main quest right at its start?

Entered the DMC, got the name and address from the bank, was caught and exiled for a year before actually visiting the guy. Is there a way to reverse the ban and get a new pass or do I have to either fuck around for a year (and probably die a horrible death while trying to survive for so long) or start over?
Currently, I don't think there's any way to get back inside the DMC aside from waiting out your exile sentence. You don't need to finish that encounter line to beat the game, though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
A possibility:

One way might be to buy a different bracelet from the favela. I haven't tried it, but technically speaking from what I understand you're not kicked out, it's just that your bracelet's code has been flagged.

My current character is doing very well. I'm finding all kinds of guns, which is pretty sweet since I took 'Ranged' on account of my sling-fetish. I did almost get killed when I got ambushed by two guys at the same time. I didn't even realize there were two of them since I wasn't paying attention when they moved into my hex (or me into theirs, can't remember). But the 'first' guy on the combat screen showed he was about eight or so moves away. Thought no big deal, took a slingshot at him which cracked his chest, stunning him. Next turn I'm on the ground with a wound to the head. Unbeknownst to me, the other guy started his turn literally 0-spaces away. Attention to detail! It's quite important! On the ground I did a 'roll dodge', since trying to stand up when they're right next to you can be extremely disastrous. He swung at me and missed. I pulled a .45 and put a hollow point through his head. His partner turned and ran. I shaded him with a bullet to the back. Snowed their crappy belongings onto my winter-sled and moved on. Not gonna lie, when my character was suddenly knocked to the ground I had a severe oh fuck moment. You're doing so well sometimes that you often forget you're one bad move away from getting merked. Too many games drill into you that the shit you have is shit you have earned, so it's yours until you don't want it anymore. In this game, it's more like yeah, you have that shit, but you're just borrowing it until it falls apart or you run across someone else who 'borrows' it from you.

Also had one of the funniest moments in the game thus far. So I'm scouting north of DMC. Mostly picking on scavengers and stealing their shit. The occasional frogman comes along too, but generally speaking I'm not running into trouble. Anyway, at this point I'm walking around with a scoped rifle, I got two .45s, a revolver, a composite bow, and god knows what the fuck else. I'm wearing combat boots on both feet, have a duffel bag full of ammo and other shit, and I'm wearing a hardy leather coat made from shit I have killed. So I come across this fellow scavenger who waves me down to talk. And I'm like, bah, I've killed enough today, let's see what they have to say. And this chick walks up to me, eyes me up and down, laughs, and basically says I'm fresh meat for the wasteland. "They'll pick you apart," she sneers, walking away. What the shit? Is she fucking blind? In a moment of moral weakness, I immediately moved back into her hex, snuck up behind her, and one-shot killed her with a slung rock to the back of the head. I went through her remains: tattered, worthless clothes, and a grocery sack with an empty bottle inside. Projecting much? Look at what our combined insecurities have wrought, dead snobby wastelander.

sser

Arcane
Developer
My trek continues.

Tasked with going to Camp Grayling, a place multiple 'quest' people have mentioned, I figured yeah, let's finally do that. In this case, we're doing it for a Mr. Hatter from the DMC.

I left with a backpack, nice arrangement of sleeping gear (three noise traps, that compact sleeping bag, about eight thousand lighters, etc.). I sold one of my .45's and kept the other. No point in doubling up, although I had enough ammo to dual-wield like some kind of ammo-wasting asshole. Yoked a .308 rifle across my back with FMJ bullets chambered. Sold my compact bow for space. Filled the void with a laptop so I could 'dex and play Solitaire in the wild. Put a crowbar on my little winter-sled for some mild B&E. Stocked up on foods (canned, mostly) and sterilized water. Bandages in case of trouble. Antibiotics and painkillers in case I get in real trouble. Also put on a frogman sash. From what I've seen so far, this makes them peaceful towards you. Not sure if it affects how other factions see you or not. Local DMC police don't seem to care. Although, if you talk to them, you kinda realize that they don't give a shit about anything. Dogmen, unfortunately, are still quite hostile. For expedient self-defense, I put a .45 in one of my free-hands. Don't want to be rummaging through my shit looking for a weapon if a guy drops in on me real close.

I returned with no sled. An arrow in my left arm. A bow instead of a .45. My backpack of sleeping gear and goods abandoned for a series of reasons I won't list. And an overall big loss of resources. So thirsty and weary I nearly collapsed right outside the DMC, though I did manage to make it back inside for one of them serene veggie soups. As one might guess, my trip to Camp Grayling was a complete and total disaster. I had to start sneaking the further north I got as, apparently, that's dogmen/melonhead territory - something I picked up on when the local human population dropped to zero. Not really much of an issue (Hiding is a great, cheap skill). My visit to Grayling ended... poorly. I'm not going to say what happened, but it looked something like this:

bXimyrU.jpg

Because I haven't explored much, the map screen pretty much details my adventures:

F7263B026F834E40F7DE7CA7348EAA2F8A2146DF

A picture of me returning to the DMC with bad news softly falling on my shoulders:

03E09C017AD326EF26C44157D85741D2F0695D29

Funniest moment was probably my most desperate one. After hunting for the ATN camp, and not finding it, I desperately chased after some deer. Firing wobbly, bendy arrows at 25+ move-distances was a waste of ammo, but I managed to clamber onto one at close range and pull it to the ground. I battled this particular deer with my fists. Fortunately, the game does not seem to simulate the fact that if you did this in real-life the deer would absolutely ruin your day. Unfortunately, the bastard got away. I have to admit: I chased it in circles for awhile like an idiot. After a few turns of doing that I was like alright, fuck this, I'm going to die of thirst and hunger if I don't fucking do something. So I just made a beeline straight for the DMC. The good thing is that at this point in the game there's nothing really dangerous in the south, so it was easy going.

All in all, an alright vacation.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Played it at bro's house. Killed in one hit by a terrified cultist that was blind and exhausted after I stabbed him a dozen times. That's some

2z6TpH.jpg

right there. I was going to die from the AIDS anyway, but what even

But that blinded cultist is going to go on the internet and gloat about how he brained some guy against all odds. Consider your death a story on the wall of others. You're a Facebook post now. A series of bad Reddit puns. Or an angst ridden poem on Myspace.

Welcome.

To the real post-apocalypse.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dogmen. Two at once. Didn't even touch me. 'Sup.

F1E6E9E3EA43B9E8D29ABB306F0A57BFC0457C47

Actual dog. Attached itself to my leg with grossly unprofessional enamel stitching. Proceeded to maul me on the ground before I knocked it unconscious and pounded its chest into a bad case of heart failure.

660EB2FFBD9CF05D6FB5E17B29560BBCF493E4B3

Fucking bitch.

DefJam101

Arcane
It's fascinating reading these stories and seeing how much the average playstyle differs from my own. I've never been up near Grayling carrying anything less than a shopping cart, a rifle w/ 15+ rounds of ammunition, a compound bow, the RTG cell, nightvision goggles (or implants), a full first aid kit, etc...

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Lav65JK.png

Why the fuck would it flee from a deer?
edit: whatever the case, it and its buddy killed me shortly afterwards.
I don't know how you guys play this game but I absolutely suck at it. It takes me ages to get up on my feet (clothes-wise) before I can actually start doing any of the interesting stuff, and then as soon as I get any momentum going, something always seems to happen which kills me and it's all over again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom