Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Lhynn

Arcane
Sometimes they dont know what they encounter, so they flee just in case, to get a chance to spy and ambush.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't know how you guys play this game but I absolutely suck at it. It takes me ages to get up on my feet (clothes-wise) before I can actually start doing any of the interesting stuff, and then as soon as I get any momentum going, something always seems to happen which kills me and it's all over again.

I'm no expert at the game - in fact, most of my time is spent blundering about and getting by on luck - but here are some tips:

Head to the 'glow' right at the start.

Make a sling and fill your pockets with rocks.

Kill everybody you come across while heading to the glow.

Take all their shit. Stop and scavenge here and there. If it says you alerted nearby people, run. Don't scavenge busted up buildings - you're asking to get hurt.

If you see a dogman, run. Literally hit run on the in-game screen; you can't do this if you got a cart, though. If you can't run, hide and cover your tracks.

If you have to fight it, pray you kill it with your sling. If you can't kill it, run some more. If you can't run, die.

Once you make it to the 'glow', the safest thing to do is treat it as your 'hub' from which you can adventure out, find stuff, and return to heal up/restock.

From there you can safely start exploring the story - but I'd start avoiding combat if at all possible. Fighting people at the start makes sense as you need their things, but later on it's usually not worth your time unless you need some resources. Combat is intended to kill you. No matter how 'badass' your character is one slip up can be your doom. So I'd suggest avoiding it if you can. But there's a bit of redundancy in that statement - later in the game you'll be so tough-looking that most wastelanders will avoid you. In that case, you get to pick your fights more often than not. This also allows you to more or less safely begin scavenging the wasteland as you no longer have to worry about other people dropping in on you.

Also, my personal tip is to get 'diagnostic' checks done every so often if you can, especially if you've been in some trouble lately. Realizing you're sick with something lets you treat it and head it off. The game simulates sickness somewhat accurately: you can be sick without realizing it. Your symptoms give it away, but by that point the damage has been done and if it's something super serious you're probably fucked.

Just something I didn't understand - at the beginning you kill a dogman barehanded with little difficulty (at least I did, picked Strong and Tough in case that changes anything). Is there an explanation for this later?

Gozma

Arcane
A strong/tough/melee character probably has a better than 50/50 chance to beat a Dogman unarmed in normal gameplay if you make useful decisions in combat (probably getting up to like 80% or so with a wrench or spear, but that's still not really a reliable percentage in a roguelike), so letting you get one narrative stat-check kill at the start that way isn't really out of line.

AMG

Arbiter
Fuck sepsis, get this shit away from DMC and you're screwed. Nanobots, tea, bear root, antibiotics, I tried freaking everything and I die every time to this crap. I guess I should stay closer to Detroit or avoid baddies with ranged weapons, but still, this has to be the most frustrating thing about this game, next to waking up in bed with dogman.

Gozma

Arcane
Apply purified water/tea/alcohol/water purification tablets directly to the infected wound

Edit - I actually can't remember if this advice is for Unreal World or NEO

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reading the stories from the game that people have posted in this topic is almost as entertaining as actually playing it.

A true gem.

AMG

Arbiter
Apply purified water/tea/alcohol/water purification tablets directly to the infected wound

Thanks, I knew I was missing something, because this was too annoying. No scavenger with a rifle will go unmolested in my next game.

Reading the stories from the game that people have posted in this topic is almost as entertaining as actually playing it.

A true gem.

Yeah, it's one of these rare games with the so called emergent gameplay. The real cool stuff that happens is not in some scripted sequences or cutscenes, but is a result of game mechanics interacting with each other. You could say that the game writes a different story every time you play it.

DefJam101

Arcane

purified water works a little bit i think but whiskey is the way to go

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
waking up in bed with dogman.
I've been thinking about this one for a while now, but seeing your post solidified my intention to make the following drawing.

didn_t_see_you_there_by_nebuchadnezzaurus-d8bypoc.jpg

The things in the background are supposed to be noise traps.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
After playing around for long, long week full of adventures I can post my short review.

Waked up in Cyro. Kill dogman with bare hands, stole his fur from his dead body.

Search around and get a lot of shit - come to Detroit.

Go in for finding silver urn in house with ghost killer inside, get arrested - don't play for food - and be banished for a year.

Fight with three dogmans - don't even be scratched.

Sleep in the middle of forest. Fight in the night with the fucking dog.

Almost die form that fight, start bleeding out becouse you run away form camp where you left all your medical shit.

Find red berries, eat them.

Die from diarrhea after another battle with dogman.

10/10 That was fucking beautiful.

Incline of the Year and goty GOTY.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Seriously, Neo Scavenger is the best RPG in a very competitive year and pretty much an instant classic. After forcing myself through D:OS, MMX, Dragonfall and Wasteland 2, I'm starting to think that the best RPGs are the ones with the smallest Codex threads.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The real cool stuff that happens is not in some scripted sequences or cutscenes, but is a result of game mechanics interacting with each other. You could say that the game writes a different story every time you play it.

THAT is when you know you are playing a great game.

quasimodo

Augur
I liked D:OS, WL2 and Dragonfall more than anything since KotC, but NEO Scavenger is my RPG of the year. Everything it tries to do it does damn near perfectly.

I really like the responses of the DMC guards when you try to do the usual RPG thing and ask about "rumors" or "work".

Visperas

Augur
Can you fill an empty bottle with rain?

Also, I was sneaking towards a guy, in my screen it appeared visible: no and while I was sneaking, the guy was searching for me. When I'm finally in reach, I choose attack but in the resolution he attacked me first, how come?

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I've been thinking about this one for a while now, but seeing your post solidified my intention to make the following drawing.

didn_t_see_you_there_by_nebuchadnezzaurus-d8bypoc.jpg

The things in the background are supposed to be noise traps.
Brilliant.

Yeah these kind of things make me just stop playing the game for weeks. So much bullshit, hope they fix it.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
So I've finally "beaten" this game after almost 74 hours in. I usually never play roguelikes due to this very reason (a very slim chance of actually finishing the game and a huge time commitment), but NEO was just so fun I couldn't stop playing. I haven't even finished Wasteland 2 yet, it was much more boring for me despite the wealth of content. But this... this is great.
The things I personally liked best about the game:
1. The rarity of powerful items. Kind of like in Fallout, except even more rare and hard to get.
2. The simplicity of the skill system. Like having the "Ranged" skill cover everything from throwing rocks to shooting firearms. You'd think this mechanic would be condemned on the Codex as being too "casual", but so far nobody criticized it, and I think that's because the rest of the game is so hard you're thankful it's the way it is.
3. Text quests, and the writing in general. Text descriptions are rare in this game, but when they appear, they're always colorful and even poetic.
4. The world going on without the need for you. People and creatures going about their business and interacting with each other, driven by their need to survive.
5. Graphics, sound design and the UI. I must admit, I've been put off by an indie game's visuals more often than I'd like to admit. But here everything just WORKS. The graphics are as polished as can be for this particular style, and in conjunction with various juicy sounds, the music and the simple efficiency of the GUI it makes for a game where it's a pleasure to click things.

Can you fill an empty bottle with rain?
Also, I was sneaking towards a guy, in my screen it appeared visible: no and while I was sneaking, the guy was searching for me. When I'm finally in reach, I choose attack but in the resolution he attacked me first, how come?

1 - I don't think you can, considering that rain doesn't appear as an "ingredient" in the crafting menu. 2 - Maybe you found each other simultaneously, but it was his turn. Or maybe you missed. Otherwise I see no reason why you shouldn't have got the jump on him, if you were still sneaking.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Got killed some days after reaching DMC for the first time, fucking Looter Leader I didn't see attacked me with his bow and insta-knocked me out :rage:

Edit: After a few failed playthrus got myself going on nicely with a ranged focused character, found myself face to face with a Martha's Army guy that attacked me so I killed him, will it cause encounters wiith other members of that faction to become hostile? Managed to grab a boxcart and a nice bow so I wouldn't really mind.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, after finally making in to DMC I think I may have encountered a bug.

After doing the right things at the Detroit bank I got the address for the Forest Aps, but when I go there after the skybike chase it never gives me the option to chose an action. After the first description screen I click confirm, it usually shows you the action you can do, but in this case it just brings me back to the map screen. If I go to the Forest Aps before I go to the bank it works normal but of course I don't have the information I need at that point. Anyone else having this issue?

Is the bank thingy strictly necessary or can I just move on without it? Because so far it is the only story clue I got, so I have no idea where to go next.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Seems to be a bug, but if you want to go on with the story you can talk to Hatter again after one/two days of entering the city and he will give you a new assignment.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
men, i bought the game long time ago, played for like 2-3 hours and then got bored and uninstalled (that was alpha or beta though). I guess i'll give it another try because of this topic.

hopefully it's worth it, tards

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
men, i bought the game long time ago, played for like 2-3 hours and then got bored and uninstalled (that was alpha or beta though). I guess i'll give it another try because of this topic.

hopefully it's worth it, tards

The game is definitely not for everyone.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
enjoy dragging the next gen inventory tetris i guess. And people said Deus Ex was bad :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom