Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Elthosian

Arcane
Only way I managed to get rid from it (level 3) was setting up camp right in front of the Enclave, sleeping all day and only getting out to get free food/treatment and to buy tannin tea and bear root, which I mixed up with some meds I had.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Only way I managed to get rid from it (level 3) was setting up camp right in front of the Enclave, sleeping all day and only getting out to get free food/treatment and to buy tannin tea and bear root, which I mixed up with some meds I had.

It's a sign of the game's quality that people can enjoy it so much without discovering major world elements like the Blue Rot stuff.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The links in the OP are messed up. They're all going through Steam.

The OP also claims that the game is made by "some old Bioware devs", when it's a solo project by a former technical artist who later worked as hiring manager and producer on ME3 multiplayer.

Mortmal

Arcane
hell this game is unforgiving.... :argh: (imagine someone going from DAI and romancing the shit out of thedas to this..lol )

was on a good run, and on the hatter mission. Somehow i contracted Blue Rot, which i only noticed at level 2, which is probably too late.

I searched for a good shelter, had an excellent sleeping bag, popped my nano medi pack and some painkiller and tried resting.

No luck, level 3 set in...and...after a short period of agony, player died. :argh:

No idea how i contracted this Blue Rot thingy though.

259ikk6.jpg

Just succumbed to it , but at least i know very well where it comes from, without spoiling too much its blue frog cultists related.Antibiotics dont help much either.

Multi-headed Cow

Melee thumpman is still trucking, but I had a bad experience at Zom Zom's. Decided to go to sleep in the ruins there since I was super tired, the sun was setting, and there was some cover from buildings. Tactical error, got woken up by being shot in the gut and leg. Since thumpman is good at making thump he then bludgeoned the bad mutha to death, but I went through an inordinate amount of bandages stopping myself from bleeding out as I hobbled to ATN.

Really dumb character but it's fun seeing how far I can go with him. Surprised he's lasted this long. Bright side of having the strong perk though, I've got a large backpack on my back, a large backpack in my off-hand, a duffel bag on my shoulder, and I'm pulling a sled and am (Mostly) not burdened. EAT HAMBURGER GET STRONK :kwafuckyeah:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Put in a lot more hours this weekend and finally made it into Detroit (thanks to a security vid of me expertly murdering a dogman with my bare hands bruce lee style). My char build now includes one weakness, im pretty carefull with anything i do.

If i bought and played this last year it would absolutely be one of the best RPGs i played in 2014 (not surpassing my goty dragonfall dc though). Cruel, punishing but also addictive and fun.

Multi-headed Cow

RIP. Dogman landed two hits on my head which was bad enough, but there was apparently a third party skulking around who finished me as I was busy with the dogman.

1A826FEDAD24B3E429F2F873FABE2381A1D4F11A

Multi-headed Cow

No kidding. Not a single romance to be found, unless you count

didn_t_see_you_there_by_nebuchadnezzaurus-d8bypoc.jpg

which also caters to the furries. Much better'n Banner Saga for ex-Bioware, was also one of the very few games I played non-Steam before they got in. Mostly just this and Heroes of a Broken Land. Kinda hope we get a Neo Scavenger sequel but I'm not sure he'd be up for it after all the time he spent making this.

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Oh I'll be up for it, alright :)

NEO Scavenger is basically a universe I designed so that I could make the types of games that interest me in a cohesive way. Hence the combination of near-future sci-fi and supernatural horror. (I enjoyed the Rifts RPG way back, despite the bonkers power creep, and others like White Wolf, Shadowrun, Megatraveller, and Twilight 2000 tickled my fancy, too.)

What comes next is uncertain, but possibilities include tablet and translated editions of NS "1," a bona-fide sequel to NS (i.e. continuing Philip's adventure), other games in the NS universe (e.g. DMC gumshoe, hover convoys across The Great Black Swamp into the prairies, Jovian asteroid miners cut-off from Earth, etc.). Probably in that order.

Glad to hear that NEO Scavenger is entertaining you guys!

Multi-headed Cow

The other games in the NS universe sound pretty neat, especially if they keep the same basic structure as NS only with the different focus. Like the DMC detective being set entirely in a more detailed DMC map, convoys adding an increased trading aspect, etc. Interested with pretty much whatever you go for,

non-roguelike RPG
except that. :flamesaw:

Still technically would be interested but open ironman randomized games float my boat a hell of a lot more.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A vaguely Fallout-style RPG in this setting, and with this kind of base mechanics, would be pretty swell, is all I'm saying. I do enjoy this kind of survival roguelike gameplay myself a lot.

wjw

Augur
I love the game. Bought it at full price. No regrets. It reminds me of a dark room, which i also liked a ton. But Neo-Scavenger is a far more unforgiving, more complex game. Thnx dcfedor.

Currently on my 8th run or so. Doing pretty well. Found Hatter and Detroit.

New skill favorites: Ranged - Athletics (hit and run), Botany (tanin tea(!) and berries) and Trapping (free fire, animal skinning)

My priority was finding a tin can for boiling water, cause water is really a problem in this game. Didn't find Tin can though; found a digital water tester with some half working battery in it. Kazing. Used it to test my water. Ran a bit around, scavenging a little before going to Detroit. Eventually the battery died but i found a frying pan, so i thought i was in the clear. Next day I am sick with gastroenteritis. Luckily I find okay shelter near woods and a bit of water. Found a few berries and trapped a few animals. All the while making Tanin Tea. Stayed there for a few days. Until a Bad Muta found me. Pierced him with a few arrows and he ran off. Found him a day later in the woods with a fricking kidbackpak and my arrows! So happy. Next shot I make it to Detroit. Being friendly to the DCM guards helps. Met Hatter. Started selling junk to the junkyard because i got my eyes fixed on these shiny augments in the city. I even found a dead DCM guard with all his stuff still on his body. Tactical Vest, pistol, combat shoes, though gloves,... Currently sick again. So staying at Detroit and using the tanin tea to get fixed. Next stop is a camp in the North.

I really dont wanna die.

wjw

Augur
Proscavenger tip of the day:

Sterrilized water: bottle up.
Non-Sterrilized water/Alcohol/Cola: bottle down.
Nevar drink from wrong bottle again.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
My Scavenger tip of day:

If you see box with yellow outline on hex nearby check whats there especialy around DMC or ATN. Most of times its just some berries or rocks but you never know it might corpse with backpack full of goodies or even vehicle.

Yesterday there was a DMC guard on hex with box just one hex away from DMC. I said hi officer lets see what do you have here.
No corpses anywhere but 2 fully loaded .45 guns in pristine condition worth 700$ each. Thanks officer:hero:

Elthosian

Arcane
Another pro-tip, if you have the Mechanic skill you can create a travois pretty much after starting the game (provided you can get the 12 medium threads, which is easy if you come across lots of shirts and pants) giving you an early vehicle that will solve your ratpack needs for quite a while, and that is much easier to replace than the 20% condition shop carts you often find.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The links in the OP are messed up. They're all going through Steam.

Fixed.

The OP also claims that the game is made by "some old Bioware devs", when it's a solo project by a former technical artist who later worked as hiring manager and producer on ME3 multiplayer.

I'm more bothered by the tards in the first few pages going "hurr durr it's a Flash game".

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
There are some non-roguelike game designs that I've wanted to make, too. There are even some non-turn-based ones, in fact. However, most of my interest lies in games one can play without being socially pressured (social/MP) or forced to play (time-management). Basically, let me play at my own pace, and savor the experience. That, and I like games with a fairly hardcore feel and a strong element of plausibility. Dogmen and wraiths notwithstanding :)

I'm more bothered by the tards in the first few pages going "hurr durr it's a Flash game".

To be fair, Flash is one thing I am anxious to ditch in future games. It has bound my wrists more than once in NEO Scavenger's development. But usually those restrictions have more to do with file access and other desktop operations, rather than mechanical depth or audiovisual limitations. That's part of the reason Haxe and OpenFL are such an attractive tech for future projects. It's basically all of Flash's good parts and familiarity, but goes further to allow unrestricted, native desktop and tablet software.

Perkel

Arcane
got it thatnks to rpg codex goty list.

So far menaged to get to day 6.

Once i had bicycle and i was fucking rocking in it. Well later that night i was attacked by some dude with hunting bow and i was full of holes. He took my bicycle when i surrendered and drove off. Died that night.

Amazing game so far.

Perkel

Arcane
There's a bicycle? I never found one?

:x

Died like 6-8 times now

I assume i need to create shelter in woods to be not found ? Because if i find some old shack to sleep almost always they find me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom