Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NeoGAF's Essential RPGs (Top 50)

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just got banned at NeoGAF for discussing the Codex's own survey methodology with the organizer of the GAF's survey. "Self-promotion". :roll:

Oh Codex, you are irreplaceable.

Here I was thinking it was for using "fag" which is what did Sensuki in. Was it a perma or am I going to have to venture over here more for updates on the book thing?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, the ban said it was for both. And it's perma.

Anyway, there's the blog now: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/

That thread gave a lot of traffic to the blog, but I think I had already reached everyone I could over there... from now on is all about working with the contributors that I got so far and individually recruiting new people. I sent a fuckton of press release when the 100-page preview came out, but not a single website replied. :/

Why, for the sake of Lower Planes, from all available and unavailable graphics, the redaction chose THAT?! The picture has nothing to do with P:T! The hell is that anyway? Gay jester devil? Bambi Barbarian? Darth Slaughter the Shit Lord? FFS
Well, I just took a look at Planescape campaign setting and it's factol of the Bleak Cabal (Lhar). So I picture something like this going on:
- Guys, ever heard of PS:T? it's the best RPG, according to some.
- Oh.
- Wasn't it based on some paper book or something retro like that?
- Yeah...
- We should add a graphic from that to not look completely ignorant.
- Who the fuck is Tony DiTerlizzi?
:negative:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
To be fair I only played it for a couple of hourse so maybe this is just some half-assed tutorial part I have to endure to get to the fun part.
Pretty much yeah. The part that you finished sets up the time-traveling thing and explains the basics of it, which will be greatly expanded in the rest of the game. It's pretty much a long tutorial. The combat does get challenging, though grinding is always an option, but the difficulty ramps up very slowly.

The choices the player can make come in two forms - there's one major choice about half-way through and then there's a bunch of minor choices in the form of side-quests in the last part of the game, during which the player can freely travel between the various eras. The possibility of fighting the end boss at multiple different stages was revolutionary at the time, as was the possibility of doing the extra dungeon multiple times as it exists in all eras.

So I would recommend to keep playing. Obviously it suffers from SNES era JRPG stuff a lot, meaning that the characters will always remain cutesy but slightly more serious themes will start to crop up. But it's not going to become GRIMDARK as it was aimed at kids and teens. This is NINTENDO afterall.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The choices the player can make come in two forms - there's one major choice about half-way through and then there's a bunch of minor choices in the form of side-quests in the last part of the game, during which the player can freely travel between the various eras.
It's been 15 years, like I said, but are you talking about
resurrecting Crono and opting whether or not to complete side quests? I don't know if those are really choices, since there's no reason not to complete them, right? I vaguely recall that maybe there was a choice involved in whether to leave Robo to plant the forest, but I can't really remember. And I vaguely recall some side quests with optimal/suboptimal outcomes (like with Lucca's mom), but that's not really a choice either.
The possibility of fighting the end boss at multiple different stages was revolutionary at the time,
But it's really more of a gimmick than anything else, since you can only do it in your second play-through of the game and the endings all feel like "What if?" scenarios rather than legitimate conclusions to the game. Still, I agree it's cool!
slightly more serious themes will start to crop up.
The only theme I can really deduce from my recollection is that people are too quick to fight rather than to look for common ground to make peace. But, aside from the freestanding merits of that theme (which is a little bit trite), it is completely at odds with the gameplay since the only real way you have for interacting with the world is killing people, killing people is the only way to win the game, and you never even have the option to trying a non-violent solution. Another theme, I guess, is that no problem is too big to overcome, except for
saving Schala
, provided you can travel through time. But then again the game is fairly selective in this regard:
For example, there's no opportunity bring food from one of the peaceful eras to the starving people in the future.
But for all my belly-aching, the game left an indelible stamp on me: I find myself whistling Frog's tune while I walk sometimes, for example.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Just got banned at NeoGAF for discussing the Codex's own survey methodology with the organizer of the GAF's survey. "Self-promotion". :roll:
Oh Codex, you are irreplaceable.
To be fair, I called MYSELF a newfag and asked about making their survey a sticky thread. I clearly deserved it.

Even there you only got one "Wat?" and no one else cared to notice that horrible transgression or mention it.

They discuss the 'dex list here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970256

someone said:
I've come to the conclusion that RPG Codex and I don't agree, on almost anything.

Which is strange because I love RPGs so much.

someone else said:
Valkyria Chronicles and Trails in the top ten. Why Codex, why is your consensus so good?

Malpercio

Arcane
CT is basically the BG2 of JRPG.

It may not have the best story or battle system, but every part is at least a B+, it's an excellent package that does everything right and still feels fresh after 15 years +.

Also you guys should watch out using the F word outside of here. :P

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From their discussion of the list, I get the impression, there are quite a lot of users there, who are smarter than the ban hammer swinging mods.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember when there were some people on this very forum saying that NeoFAG is the greatest site on teh internetz for meaningful discussions and shit :lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's been 15 years, like I said, but are you talking about
whether you kill Magus or not

The starving future is pretty heavy stuff and the way the other robots attack Robo, the 65 million years BC era betrayal due to jealousy, entire character arc of Frog, the decadence and racism of the Magic Kingdom and probably other stuff that I can't remember right now. Sure, some of that stuff was present in other SNES JRPGs before Chrono Trigger but there's certainly more than just cute anime cliches doing cute things while cutely saving the cute world.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
But the combat system being that underwhelming is not a good sign, because for me story in games was never as important as entertaining game mechanics. So best RPG evar?
The thing you got to rememeber about CT is that it's a kid's game like Zelda. On top of that there's the fact that Nintendo of America censored stuff in their translations. There's stuff like Ogre Battle&Tactics on the system though, but most games like Langrisser 2, Front Mission and Majin Tensei got never localized.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think it's the opposite... BG2 & CT are hailed for gameplay & NPC companions, PST & FF6 for story. Everytime I see people talking about VI it's all about "dat opera scene!", "dat plot twist!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's the opposite... BG2 & CT are hailed for gameplay & NPC companions, PST & FF6 for story. Everytime I see people talking about VI it's all about "dat opera scene!", "dat plot twist!"

That's one way of looking at it, but I think in terms of the games' actual content, my analogy is more accurate. Both PS:T and CT have more strongly "themed" companions, while FF6's and BG2's are more generic. FF6 is huge, and is pretty much the definitive standard early 90s JRPG, much in the same way as BG2 is a huge game that defined late 90s/early 2000s AD&D on the computer. Meanwhile, PS:T and CT are the weird offshoot of their respective genres, with an unusual setting and premise (the Planes! Time travel!).

Besides, BG2 has story and plot twists too. "Dat Yoshimo betrayal! Dat Irenicus voice acting! Dat Aerie romance!"

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
From the description of Fallout 3:

The game has an attribute and combat system typical of an action strategy game but also incorporates elements of first-person shooter and survival horror games.

combat system typical of an action strategy game

action strategy

The what now?

Also what elements of the survival horror genre does Fallout 3 incorporate? Zombies?

Avellion

Erudite
I picked up Chrono Trigger recently to see what all the fuss is about.
And tbh after playing it for about 2 hours I don't quite get it.
I don't like the dialogues, they are short as hell and fail to transport personality.
I don't like the characters, they are immature and feel like your run of the mill wapanese animu shit.
And first and and foremost I fucking hate the battle system. This is completely braindead, no challenge, no thought required, no twitch component that would make up for it being mindless. I sigh every time a new enemy shows up, and then I just keep clicking away at the basic attack to make them go away. Works very well so far. ^^
I figure the main appeal of this game is the story, but with such childish characters and dialogues I don't see how it could get any better soon.
So ... does it? Get better I mean. Please tell me that in the next chapter they will suddenly stop with the cutesy crap and start to tell a story that is worth telling. Or at least tell it coherently instead of this stenographic approach to storytelling (here's a teleportation device, hop on it, let's talk later - great introduction to Lucca :retarded:)
Have to play some Mario Land or Zelda to remind me that japanese games can indeed be fun after this shit.

It gets better later on. The highlight of the game is the second half. And as you gain access to more abilities, the combat system also gets better when you can start combining techs in more interesting ways.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Also, look at the award...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

2zjdj6x.jpg

Told you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom