Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Neon White

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I just picked this up and I want to share how great it is. Neon White is a first person platformer where weapon powerups double as special movements, but are consumed during the movement. Levels are very short and the goal is always to reach the exit and to kill all enemies in the process. You are encouraged to finish the level as quickly as possible, hence it is also described as a speedrunning game. It reminds me a lot of Ghostrunner even though it is much, much easier. There is also a visual novel part attached to the game, but it is pretty boring and the dialogues are terrible (sometimes in a good way, though). You can check out this short review to get a better idea how this game works:

Has anyone else here played this game yet?

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Game is sick.

Fast gameplay, fun character interactions post-mission, snazzy music, nice aesthetics. Like a cross between Hotline Miami and Paradise Killer.

Oh, thought I recognised that DnB/Breakcore/Rave/Trap style, the OST is by Machine Girl.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I've now finished the main story after roughly 20 hours (including collection all gifts and achieving rank 1) and I'm still hungry for more. Stellar gameplay which frequently put a smile on my face. Reminds me of the good old games where games could just be games instead of pretending to be movies. I could've done without the visual novel part, though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just picked this up, seems to be fun so far.

Anyone wanna join my friends list so I can have more people to compete against? Only reply if you are not actually good at action games like me (I am beating felipepepe every level though :M)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've now finished the main story after roughly 20 hours (including collection all gifts and achieving rank 1) and I'm still hungry for more
Maybe consider getting platinum/ace on every level? Or perhaps even... beating my times? :M

I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. At the start I was gold/aceing levels first try, now I'm consistently getting bronze/silver as game got more demanding, although still plat with a few retries. Even getting the secret on every level has turned fairly tricksy. And I'm only ~halfway through. If it keeps it up with introducing new weapons/enemies/mechanics and ramping up the difficulty it's gonna be really amazing.

I wonder how many people miss the "sidequest" levels due to being locked behind vn parts. They're pretty neat, the trap levels are admirably sadistic.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
I've now finished the main story after roughly 20 hours (including collection all gifts and achieving rank 1) and I'm still hungry for more
Maybe consider getting platinum/ace on every level? Or perhaps even... beating my times? :M

I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. At the start I was gold/aceing levels first try, now I'm consistently getting bronze/silver as game got more demanding, although still plat with a few retries. Even getting the secret on every level has turned fairly tricksy. And I'm only ~halfway through. If it keeps it up with introducing new weapons/enemies/mechanics and ramping up the difficulty it's gonna be really amazing.

I wonder how many people miss the "sidequest" levels due to being locked behind vn parts. They're pretty neat, the trap levels are admirably sadistic.
I'm too busy with other stuff at the moment, but when I get some time I might just do that:M. You'll get new stuff till the very end, so the game doesn't run out of steam. It is amazlingly well designed.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
My "final" score
45B2C3D4C1E568F3ACDCA32C1DB3CAF981A69F2F

(That total time represents about 15 hours of real time due to retries, restarts, etc.)
which is apparently top 1% of all players.

This is an incredibly good game. It starts out easy and simple with maps that take single digit seconds to beat and no chance of death, and ends in minute long gauntlets where fucking up can kill you instantly. And the whole time it's fun to seek shortcuts and secrets, and just kill demons as fast as possible. The story is forgettable, and I suspect a lot of people will be allergic to the animu artstyle and characters. But it's hard to give a shit about that when the gameplay is this good.

I think the game slipped a bit in the final chapter, as I don't like the hypertwitch nature of the final weapon (although it does feel pretty cool to zoom around all over the place), and I don't think I'll go for any of the rush attacks (although Mikey's seems pretty cool with rocket jumps for days) but even so this is thoroughly impressive. I was also surprised to learn it's made in unity because the performance was great and the load times were nigh instant.

:5/5: would recommend.

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm at the end now but still missing some ace medals. I don't know how the game does this, but even after I get an ace medal in a level, I'm still motivated to find more shortcuts and further improve my time. And each level is packed with tricks that are hidden in plain sight, a lot more than what the hint system shows. Here is a cool example:
exzdeii.jpg

There is a hint at the end of this long fall that tells you to shoot a bomb through the window into the house to kill the demons inside, instead of going in. But that's only one part of the puzzle. You can actually use the stomp card to drop from the very top, through the bubble, all the way to the bottom. And all you have to do is hit the two mimic chests on the way, which is not that hard. They are placed precisely to kill everything for you. Happens in a lot of levels.
I've even seen cases where the hint outright lies, meaning, while it does show a real shortcut, you would miss an even better one if you took it. And that's not an accident. The dev did this deliberately. The red medals/developer times prove this.

Btw, did anyone get any red medals? I only got a few, but I'm not sure if I should attempt more. The problem is the game doesn't show the required times for the red medals until you beat them. So it's hard to know whether you are close and just need to execute better, or you are missing another big shortcut and it's impossible to beat the time without it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
(...)
Btw, did anyone get any red medals? (...)
No, I didn't get any, but I didn't even Ace every level. I need to try it when I revisit the game, though.
I got none on my first go, but then I browbeat someone into playing the game so I could race them properly, and in our competition for times in the first two chapters I wound up with a few.

I only have two achievements remaining as well, hell run for micky and white. But it's hard to get motivated for it when a single attempt takes more than an hour, and a single fuckup means resetting.

3 others

Scholar
Stopped by to echo everything written here. Neon White is the best game of this decade. It's a wonderful throwback to the PURITY of gaming, fully in tune with what makes this media tick. It's got a distinct style and a pleasant visual clarity. Neon White even made me solemnly pledge to never shit on Unity as a platform again. The devs truly made it their bitch and the game runs like a marvel.

I'm also perfectly fine with the plot and the overblown characters. Ok, a bunch of pointy-haired animu post-teenagers as a fearsome group of mercenaries can stretch your imagination, but the heroic characters, their interactions with each other, and story pacing aren't that far from a classical Greek drama intertwined with a rudimentary Old Testament morality. The writing could be better in the sense that the punchlines in each story encounter don't always hit, but the overall style and the lighthearted tone are just fine. And there are some hits in there, sure, like Mr. White himself singing Smashing Pumpkins in karaoke. Their voice acting is good. Each character has a distinct tone, which plays well with their archetypical personalities.

But the meat of the game is what we're here for and this is where Neon White is an unquestionable tour-de-force. The comparisons to Ghostrunner and Mirror's Edge have been thrown out there but I think Neon White has even more in common with the Trackmania series. This is fundamentally a racing game in FPS's clothes, and the thrill of optimizing routes, squeezing fractions of a second, navigating complex racing tracks, and the slickness of an instant start/restart are straight from Trackmania (or competitive go-kart racing if that's more your cup of tea). The level design is fantastic, and they are very good at using little nudges with decorative level elements and (I think) camera movement to hint you towards the right path even on the first run on breakneck pace. I'd iike to say that the distinct style bleeds all the way into the screenshots, but maybe it's just the curious design decision to dedicate the bottom left corner of the screen to the main character's mugshot.

Maybe the real innovation of Neon White is the way it has different tiers of clearing levels. If you just muddle through, sure, you'll get a bronze medal and open the next stage, but that's not what Neon White is about. You need to IMPROVE, to be FASTER, to leave NO CORNER UNCUT. Improving a bit more nets you a gold medal, which opens up a level hint towards a shortcut, allowing you to go even faster. I don't really know why, but some games really manage to ignite this drive in you. I mean, there are leaderboards, and some progress bars blinking, but that's not really what drives you. The game is just FUN, and the faster you are, the funner it gets.

The boss fights are the only slight letdown in Neon White. They are a nice change of pace, and make the best of the situation, but a 4-minute grind against a flying machine gun isn't really what Neon White needs. The only thing I actually miss is the puzzle mode from the earlier Trackmanias where you have a barebone level with a start, goal, and a limited set of track pieces you have to place to get to the goal within target time. Not sure how that would have fit in Neon White, though.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing this. Great overlooked game.

Impressive gameplay that rewards getting better and faster.

When you are replaying beaten levels in a game to execute them better, you know you are facing an outstanding game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished the campaign at Neon rank 43. This game is a masterpiece.

Not a fan of the Boss levels though, too long to play to the games strengths. Fortunately only 3 of them.

I think I will try to improve my bronze and silver medals to at least gold.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom